Print Page | Close Window

Adam Lambert may tour with Queen as lead singer

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85099
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 22:17
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Adam Lambert may tour with Queen as lead singer
Posted By: martinprog77
Subject: Adam Lambert may tour with Queen as lead singer
Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 02:47

http://www.dprp.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/queen.png" rel="nofollow"><br />  Queen  

Adam Lambert may be hitting the road with Queen this summer as the band’s new lead singer!

“The intention is to pay tribute to, the late, Freddie Mercury and the band by singing some great songs. It’s to keep the music alive for the fans and give it an energy that Freddie would have been proud of,” the 30-year-old singer told the media.

“There’s no intention in my mind of replacing Freddie,” Adam added about his idol. “That’s impossible. The way I’m choosing to view it is that it’s a great honor and one I’m in no way going to shirk.” 

the guy has a good voice ,but i dont know why queen dont tour with somebody like George Michael [ it would be the perfect singer for them imo ] 

so what do you think guys about it

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Replies:
Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 02:49
What happened to Paul Rodgers?   I agree, George Michael might have been a good choice, but does he still have the pipes?

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 06:37
I can see why they'd want to replace one queen with bigger queen--but I don't like his voice--too theatrical----Freddie was ---one of a kind.

Posted By: prog4ever
Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 07:42
No one will ever replace Freddie what a voice, what a range , a true rock star

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 08:48
I don't think anyones looking to replace Freddie, just find someone new. Guess there's not much problem with it.

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 11:36
the clip, well it's sounds quite boring. don't like Lambert's vibrato. Queen, it's time to retire ...

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 12:45
Adam Lambert is really not a good choice. Why wouldn't Brian May and Roger Taylor continue their solo careers instead of performing good old songs with bad new vocalist?

Taylor did four great solo albums, and his fifth is due to release since 2010. It's a shame that they're concentrating their energy on such a dull projects.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 12:48
Only thing they need to retire are We Are the Champions and We Will Rock You

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 13:07

I do think George did the best job of standing in for FM.  Did it with a bit of class respect and didn't try and out camp Freddie. 

I watched the vid until Adam 'introduces'  Brian May.....  after his solo.  I think everyone knew who he is!  ?  LOL

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 13:18
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

I do think George did the best job of standing in for FM.  Did it with a bit of class respect and didn't try and out camp Freddie. 

I watched the vid until Adam 'introduces'  Brian May.....  after his solo.  I think everyone knew who he is!  ?  LOL

He asking for applause, not actually introducing him.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Erwaco
Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 14:32
my only response is, Why?

-------------
erwaco

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 14:34
Who is he?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 14:40
[QUOTE=Snow Dog]Who is he?[/QUOTE

Adam Lambert.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 14:45

Adam Lambert.

Yes

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 14:55
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Adam Lambert.

Yes

Don't you know?

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 14:56

Adam Lambert.

Yes

Don't you know?

I do now I googled his name. Don't know him from Adam. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 14:57
How would I?LOL

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 15:00

Adam Lambert.

Yes

Don't you know?

LOL

Who is he?

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 22:35
I think Adam Lambert suits Queen better than Paul Rodgers; afterall Freddie was not without theatricality himself

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 23:10

Adam Lambert.

Yes

Don't you know?

LOL

Who is he?
Lambert.

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 23:25

Who is he?

An American Idol finalist.  Has his own album too but I don't know if he has been in any rock bands before.  Strange choice.

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: February 22 2012 at 23:27
This is what needs to happen:

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 05:28
They want to keep bringing Queen's music to the masses, then? Absolutely s*d all to do with milking the said masses for every single penny they can for a retirement fund?

I'm getting terribly cynical as I get olderLOL

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 05:31
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

They want to keep bringing Queen's music to the masses, then? Absolutely s*d all to do with milking the said masses for every single penny they can for a retirement fund?

I don't mind them hiring a new singer as long as they do make a new album with him and involve him in the songwriting.  If they are just going to use the hot new kid in town to capture eyeballs, it's pretty sad...but not very surprising.  

Posted By: raeloneq
Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 09:42
I always thought George Michael would be the best fit for something like this. And the video someone posted of him singing Someone to Love is a really good example. I really like that version. But that video is pretty old, almost 20 years or more? Does George Michael still have that range? 

I don't mind this kid, but he needs to tone down the vibrato. Nothing more annoying than excessive vibrato.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 09:54
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

What happened to Paul Rodgers?   I agree, George Michael might have been a good choice, but does he still have the pipes?

George Michael was the only replacement possible as was seen in that one special.

Sorry Adam ... but only real folks need apply and not media darlings.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Guitarman1
Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 12:18
When Adam sang in American Idol, he showed, that he could sing Queen songs, nearly as good as Freddy. Very close. Closer than Rodgers. Nearly the same as George Michael.

If I had a band with so many popular songs, but without the lead singer, I  would also try a subsitute him, so long as I am able to perform up to par myself. And I think that Roger and Brian does a pretty good job. And Adam would not embarres anyone.

I hope they also come to Denmark to tour. I will be there!!

Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 12:29
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Adam Lambert.

Yes

Don't you know?

LOL

Who is he?
Lambert.

Yes.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 12:57
omg adum lambrt iz teh pop soo hees evol letz awl h8 him gaiz olollol!!111!1

Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 13:47
i was talking with a friend about this and he said that the perfect guy should be the singer from  the darkness 

-------------
Nothing can last
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: Lizzy
Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 15:21
It's not exactly a tour (well not yet anyway). It is supposed to be another Queen + project at the Knebworth Sonisphere festival. However, looking at what the media have been writing these past few days, it's a That-guy-from-American-Idol + back-up band event.
If I cared enough I'd probably be very sad.

-------------
Property of Queen Productions...

Posted By: SMSM
Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 17:15
Perhaps trying to entice a younger crowd and it is real PC to have a homosexual in your band now.

Besides anybody who complains about the music, they can always claim it is because of homophobia 

Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 17:26
Originally posted by SMSM SMSM wrote:

Perhaps trying to entice a younger crowd and it is real PC to have a homosexual in your band now.

Besides anybody who complains about the music, they can always claim it is because of homophobia 

This is Queen you know.  I don't think they would employ a gay singer because it might be percieved to be 'PC'.   They have had plenty of experience of homophobia in the past (Reaction to 'I want to break free' video for example.)

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 17:33
What stroke me wasn't the Adam Lambert stuff.

No, what stroke me is "Queen touring" stuff. Again.

I wonder what disturbs me the most: Yes touring despite its roundabout of singers? Queen touring like nothing changed? Jethro Tull releasing "Thick As A Brick II: the Return of the Son of Monster Magnet"? Black Sabbath nth-reformation?
I mean... What next? Iggy Pop touring with what's left of the MC5 and Noël Redding???

Date Posted: February 24 2012 at 12:02
Originally posted by SMSM SMSM wrote:

Wow. You're hilarious.

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: February 24 2012 at 12:40
I like how Lambert sings Queen songs. But the way he looks is awful. Don't talk to me of homophobia, I don't care of his sexual preferences at all. 

God save the Queen of this partnership. Smile

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Date Posted: February 24 2012 at 12:51
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

I like how Lambert sings Queen songs. But the way he looks is awful. Don't talk to me of homophobia, I don't care of his sexual preferences at all. 

God save the Queen of this partnership. Smile
This. He's a great singer, but people seem to hate him here for the reason he's an American Idol product. But yeah his appearance could be better. Tongue

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: February 24 2012 at 13:04
I don't dislike Lambert for being a pop singer.  I dislike him for circumventing paying his dues by playing on a game show.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Date Posted: February 24 2012 at 13:08
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

He's a great singer, but people seem to hate him here for the reason he's an American Idol product.
I don't think great. But pretty good singer. And I don't know much about American Idol. 
Though I can't believe Queen can't find a better-looking strong singer.

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 24 2012 at 13:25
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

No, actually I don't think you are. I would even say that Mosh fits in the same boat a few times over. At least I know that there are not enough folks that want to see Tangerine Dream again with Chris Franke and Peter Baumann or Klaus Schulze in the days where his concerts were a meditation sitting in a Lotus position ... that even included a prayer!

Personally, it's all water under the bridge, and as much as I love AD2, the last thing in the world I want to see is them live ... after listening to "Live in London" and some of the stuff that has shown up recently ... is ... like listening to Robert Wyatt ... I think I like my grandchildren better!

In the old days we probably would have said something nasty to Adam, but I don't think that the whole thing for one man was about his being gay ... it was about who he was, and that last song of his said it all ... and I sincerely doubt that Adam can even pipe that song and not come off very good at all.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: February 24 2012 at 16:10
Queen tried to get the singer of Glass Hammer but Yes grabbed him first---Smile

Posted By: SouthSideoftheSky
Date Posted: February 27 2012 at 14:31
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Why wouldn't Brian May and Roger Taylor continue their solo careers instead of performing good old songs with bad new vocalist?

Taylor did four great solo albums, and his fifth is due to release since 2010. It's a shame that they're concentrating their energy on such a dull projects.

This is exactly what I have been saying for years! This whole Queen+ thing was a mistake right from the start. I would much rather have further solo albums by May and Taylor, or perhaps a collaboration between the two (under a different name than Queen).  

Date Posted: February 27 2012 at 16:02
^ Queen (or Queen+) play at stadiums. Theatres for May and, I'm afraid, clubs for Taylor solo.
Money aside, Queen's music is so good, why not to play it?

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2012 at 02:23
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

^ Queen (or Queen+) play at stadiums. Theatres for May and, I'm afraid, clubs for Taylor solo.
Money aside, Queen's music is so good, why not to play it?

Personally, I would much rather see Brian May (and his solo band) in a theatre, or Roger Taylor in a club, than to see Queen+ (with whomever) in a stadium. Sure, they would make a lot less money that way, but they have enough money already, don't they? Besides, clubs and theatres are much cozier than stadiums anyway. 

Another point I want to make it this: had they focused 100% on their respective solo careers from the day Freddie died until today instead of doing this Queen+ nonsense, they might have been able to build themsevles a bigger following.

They could still have performed some Queen material on their solo tours (like May did in the 90's; see his Live At Brixton Academy live album and video), espcially the many songs that were originally sung by May and Taylor respectively on Queen albums.

What they are doing now, may bring in some money, but they are making fools out of themselves in the eyes of the "true" fans.  

Date Posted: February 28 2012 at 02:32
I don't really have a quarrel with their decision to tour as Queen.  At least those who were not around in the 70s get to watch May and Taylor.  A band's identity cannot, except in the rarest of rare cases, derive from one iconic individual.  So it's not about Mercury having this irreplaceable voice or whatever for me.  Mercury was Mercury, but it's over.  I am just not convinced with the choice of Lambert and it does appear to me to be a move to cash in on his American Idol popularity.   Sorry, that's a cynical take LOL  but it's what it is.

Date Posted: February 28 2012 at 04:33
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Queen tried to get the singer of Glass Hammer but Yes grabbed him first---Smile

in that case they should get this guy 

-------------
Nothing can last
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Date Posted: February 28 2012 at 04:35

What upsets me, and has been for years, is not so much that they drag the Queen-name in the dirt. It is rather that May and Taylor are wasting their talents as singers and song writers. In my view, they don't need any new singer. They can do it themselves. They have nice and distinctive voices of their own!

Date Posted: February 28 2012 at 05:17
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

What upsets me, and has been for years, is not so much that they drag the Queen-name in the dirt. It is rather that May and Taylor are wasting their talents as singers and song writers. In my view, they don't need any new singer. They can do it themselves. They have nice and distinctive voices of their own!

No reason indeed why they shouldn't.  It sounds more sensible to me than pinching a singer for a tour and a possible live album (re Paul Rodgers). 

Date Posted: February 28 2012 at 05:57
I agree, Bryan May is a better singer for Queen than George  Michael, Rogers and Lambert together.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk