Print Page | Close Window

How mainstream can a prog band be?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85173
Printed Date: March 19 2024 at 01:43
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How mainstream can a prog band be?
Posted By: moonlitbay
Subject: How mainstream can a prog band be?
Date Posted: February 25 2012 at 11:28
I'm wondering because in my record collection there is only prog and heavy metal. I have a girl who is "normal". She likes the most mainstream music in the whole world (U2 etc etc). How can I lure her into prog without her knowing? Any good suggestions of prog bands with the "mainstream-feel"?

-------------
A reunion.......it will never happen in my lifetime!!

Replies:
Posted By: PabstRibbon
Date Posted: February 25 2012 at 11:31
Well Pink Floyd can be very easy to listen to. Porcupine Tree might be ok i guess. You might also show her Genesis of the 80's and then slowly return to the classic album I think it can work. Kansas and Marillion would also be great to start IMO

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: February 25 2012 at 11:39
I think Pink Floyd is the most effective gateway drug I've personally witnessed.  Big smile

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: February 25 2012 at 11:51
Pure Reason Revolution is kind of a danceable prog.

Asia is prog-related but might be a gateway band.

Saga is quite popular in Germany.

-------------

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: February 25 2012 at 12:13
Why would you have to lure her to prog is another question. I mean, sure, it is fun to be able to listen to one's music without the person you like doing a face like she's about to kill herself; but on the other hand, if you really find her music taste appalling and that's unbearable for you, you might want to look for somebody else, or better yet, try a mirror...

-------------

Posted By: Gallifrey
Date Posted: February 25 2012 at 12:36
I reckon Muse are one of the best mainstream gateways to prog. That's how I got into it.

But Porcupine Tree were the band that really made me stick as a prog fan, mainly because of catchy melodies that mainstream fans like.

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: February 25 2012 at 12:37

I dunno, what does "the most mainstream music (U2 etc etc) mean" ?

If you mean "U2, Simple Minds, Oasis, Madonna, the Police", then you shouldn't worry, but just trying to get into as much of these artists as you possibly can. There's fantastic songs out there.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: February 25 2012 at 12:38
Play what you like whenever she is around and see how she reacts.  Does she like bands like U2 (whom I also like but are not among my favorites) because they are familiar and popular or does she really like the music?  If she has not heard much Prog, or related music, she may not know what she is missing.  If she doesn't care for your metal bands, then she probably won't  like prog metal.  But she may like some of the Proto-Prog bands like the Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, or even Deep Purple Mark I.  What about classics like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd (as others have suggested)?  Go for melody rather than instrumental prowess: Asia, Styx, 80s Yes & Genesis, Supertramp.  As I also say in such situations, do not force the issue and do not think that something like Supper's Ready will win new converts; she has just as much a right to listen to what she wants to as you do even if you think her taste in music is bad.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: February 25 2012 at 12:38
Originally posted by moonlitbay moonlitbay wrote:

How can I lure her into prog without her knowing?
Hypnosis might do the trick.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: February 25 2012 at 12:50
Kansas.

Take her to Kansas.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: 40footwolf
Date Posted: February 25 2012 at 17:00
Prog can be http://www.last.fm/music/Muse?ac=Muse" rel="nofollow - very mainstream indeed.

Also, don't trip so much about getting your lady involved with it. If she shows an interest in it fine but if she doesn't it's not like her music taste is the reason you're going out with her to begin with. Just like what you like.

-------------
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: February 25 2012 at 22:50
Send her to me. I'll convince her.

But seriously, Stupid Dream by Porcupine Tree is probably a good starter. It's like Hootie and the Blowfish, except good and interesting.

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Posted By: frippism
Date Posted: February 26 2012 at 00:31
I don't you can lure her to prog. I think that you just have to be interested. I was always liking the weirder tracks of anything more, so I was always looking for weirder and more complex stuff. Eventually my dad just gave me KC's Red and it was just a thing that kept the ball rolling. 

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: February 26 2012 at 00:38
Everyone I've ever shown PT loves them. That could be something.

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: February 26 2012 at 00:51
Supertramp

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: CloudZero
Date Posted: February 26 2012 at 01:02
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

Everyone I've ever shown PT loves them. That could be something.

hah I've noticed the same thing..

I guess Muse would be the closest I could imagine.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: February 26 2012 at 02:41
put on some Godbluff or Pawn Heart and see what she think

maybe some Queen II, some Moody Blues, some moddy King Crimson like Epitaph and In the Wake of Posiedon

maybe Saga, Styx and Kansas and then some 10cc, 

-------------

Posted By: JS19
Date Posted: February 26 2012 at 04:05

I'm wondering because in my record collection there is only prog and heavy metal. I have a girl who is "normal". She likes the most mainstream music in the whole world (U2 etc etc). How can I lure her into prog without her knowing? Any good suggestions of prog bands with the "mainstream-feel"?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. She has her music and you have yours, leave her be for God's sake. You try and lure her in like your in some world of 'higher learning'. No music is better or worse than any other. The only issue here is if she doesn't respect your music, she doesn't have to like it.

-------------

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: February 26 2012 at 06:53
actually 'in the court ...' could do the trick , it's beautiful and accessible as weird as it is...
and like other said pink floyd is the best example.
if you want some AOR stuff 'ambrosia' are great for the ladies..

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: February 26 2012 at 06:58
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. She has her music and you have yours, leave her be for God's sake. You try and lure her in like your in some world of 'higher learning'. No music is better or worse than any other. The only issue here is if she doesn't respect your music, she doesn't have to like it.

I don't respect my wife's music so I doubt she respects mine.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: paganinio
Date Posted: February 26 2012 at 07:23
If she has roots in grunge or post-hardcore aesthetics, Tool and The Mars Volta are two good bands to get to know.

Well I wish I had a girlfriend who's into grunge and the gloomy side of music.

Tool's debut album Undertow was very much a grunge-influenced work of prog rock. Aenima and Lateralus, both being chart-toppers in the U.S. as well as full-fledged progressive metal masterpieces, may well be more famous than the "mainstream" stuff your girl listens to. Actually, to be brutally honest, I believe much of the music your girlfriend enjoys, is better than a lot of prog these days. Let her discover what's good for her, and M.Y.O.B. mind your own music taste.

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 26 2012 at 09:55

A lot of mainstream music has prog elements.  U2 had Brian Eno working with them for crying out loud.   If the relationship is good otherwise, forget the music as long as you each have your space.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: PhideauxFan
Date Posted: February 27 2012 at 04:31
I think that for a modern "normal" girl, only modern music is appropriate. Some examples:

Posted By: moonlitbay
Date Posted: February 27 2012 at 07:35
Well, I've tried some tunes and they fell into good soil...
I haven't listened to any of your advice (sorry, no offence).
I have tried late Anathema and relatives (Antimatter, Alternative 4...), and I got a smile on her face.
But when I played unplugged Pain of Salvation and unplugged Green Carnation she started to undress.... Perfect I would say. I think I've found her softspot.

-------------
A reunion.......it will never happen in my lifetime!!

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 27 2012 at 08:03

Well, I've tried some tunes and they fell into good soil...
I haven't listened to any of your advice (sorry, no offence).
I have tried late Anathema and relatives (Antimatter, Alternative 4...), and I got a smile on her face.
But when I played unplugged Pain of Salvation and unplugged Green Carnation she started to undress.... Perfect I would say. I think I've found her softspot.

You know the quality of the answer depends on the quality of the question.  If what you really wanted to know is what prog can I play for my girlfriend to get her to take her clothes off, then you should have stated so.  I was all ready to discuss how some prog artists did make it into the mainstream in the '70's but that just doesn't happen anymore.  There was tremendous pressure to make commercial music and some bands did that successfully and others didn't, but nevermind.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: geneyesontle
Date Posted: February 28 2012 at 18:53
Pink Floyd is the most mainsteram prog band I know. It's mainstream but it's still good. Put Dark Side of The Moon or Wish You Were Here and she will fall in love with these albums instantly.

-------------
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle

Posted By: paganinio
Date Posted: February 28 2012 at 22:33
I just remembered "Fear of a Blank Planet" which is probably the most universally-loved prog album ever.
No matter what kind of music you like, you gotta admit that album is beautiful and very listenable.

-------------

Posted By: DrömmarenAdrian
Date Posted: February 29 2012 at 14:14
I think a prog band can be very mainstream- even totally mainstreim if they once have been progressiv! If you'll introduce for example late Genesis- wich is popular music and later let her listen to real Genesis. Even the most progressiv bands have done less outflying pieces. Good luck with your poor girlfriend! 

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: February 29 2012 at 14:30
I'd say you should show her Ys by Il Balletto Di Bronzo. If she doesn't like that try Semiramis.

If she doesn't like either of those leave her.

(Totally kidding btw)

Posted By: awaken77
Date Posted: March 01 2012 at 03:56
Why mainstream? Try something really weird and unconventional.
People usually react curiously  - "what sh*t is that playin'?"

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: March 01 2012 at 04:10
LOL

Posted By: Rasvamakkara
Date Posted: March 01 2012 at 09:23
I've had a lot of success with Spock's Beard's Snow. Many of my friends (especially females) have taken a shine on the album. After Snow I've been able to lure some of them a bit deeper into prog (Phideaux, The Tangent, Riverside etc.).

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 01 2012 at 09:39
Porcupine Tree, definitely.  I've witnessed a lot of people fall in love with that band, when they didn't even know they liked progressive rock.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: March 01 2012 at 09:51
I haven't read any other posts, but Mew is very poppy and somewhat mainstream sounding.

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: March 01 2012 at 10:08
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I think Pink Floyd is the most effective gateway drug I've personally witnessed.  Big smile

LOL 

Also true.

No idea what her tastes are, but prog metal is also a superb gateway drug into prog.
It was my path, and now look how hopelessly addicted I amCry

Oh! TMV
Seems kind of odd to me but I know "normal" people that seem to like TMV...they seem to be a bridge band almost.
Also all those kinda sorta not sure if prog rock bands like Radiohead and Muse, also seem to be good gateways based on my observations of a few peopleLOL

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: March 01 2012 at 11:15
I'd try the proven radio hits of yesteryear...."Roundabout" from Fragile, "From the Beginning" by ELP, etc. 

Some of Phil Collin's first solo LP was rather listenable, and there is nice material on "Duke" that might attract her.  

Seek out romantic prog....the ladies have that genetic attraction for softness, uplifting mood, rhythm etc.  

The opposite track would be to put on "Eskimo" by The Residents, or "Atem" by Tangerine Dream, or "Larks Toungues In Aspic, Part 2" by KC etc. and watch her leave!  

I had a girlfriend in college...took her to ELP's BSS tour, a blazing live show in a bar by Brand X, she hated all of it.  Didn't last, alas.  Wife No. 1 went with me to see KC "Three of a Perfect Pair," Al Dimeola, Moody Blues etc.  she was into some cool music.  Alas, sharing musical tastes does not a relationship make!  

My present spouse puts up with my music, although she calls it "guy music" and doesn't seek it out.  She has pretty limited musical interests (disco, Motown).  

Viva la difference!  Good luck!  

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: March 01 2012 at 15:15
I've been together with my woman for 9 years and never could get her into prog, not even the most mainstream of it.
When that's the case, what can you do? just let it be. She listens to her music which I despise (but have to listen to) and she despises my music (which she does not have to listen to, I'm not allowed to play it when she's around).
It's not a fair situation I know, but in the end the love and the relationship is more important than that for me...

Of course if you can get her into prog all the better, wish you good luck...

Posted By: Dr. of Progtology
Date Posted: March 04 2012 at 14:16
My wife enjoys or at least tolerates some of my music. And the inverse is true for me as well. I'm not going to try and convert her though. We should all know by now that you cannot force prog on anyone. Wouldn't it already be mainstream if the masses had a taste for it? I think that most people like their music pretty simple, where a prog fan relishes the complexity. I guess that makes us the weirdos. Big smile

Posted By: grunrock
Date Posted: March 04 2012 at 15:25
LOL  more of a chuckle realy, but deffinitely out loud

Posted By: Garden of Dreams
Date Posted: March 04 2012 at 16:20
You could try Pain of Salvation's Disco Queen.  That's a pretty fun song.

-------------
Just give it all an hour by the concrete lake.

Posted By: JeanFrame
Date Posted: March 05 2012 at 05:50
Pink Floyd and Genesis both contain a lot of popular elements.

Posted By: Master of Time
Date Posted: March 06 2012 at 00:15
My sister who like's even more mainstream kind of stuff (huge Bieber fan) enjoys the more poppy Spock's Beard stuff like The Emperor's Clothes.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk