Who invented what tapping technique?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Music and Musicians Exchange
Forum Description: Talk with and get feedback from other musicians on the site
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85492
Printed Date: May 05 2024 at 23:49
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Who invented what tapping technique?
Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Subject: Who invented what tapping technique?
Date Posted: March 09 2012 at 10:57
Who invented what tapping technique? There is pick-tapping and there is finger-tapping. I know what you might be thinking: "Oh, God, here it goes again. Who invented tapping." Actually, I have been to a forum ( http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518592" rel="nofollow - http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518592 ) and they had Steve Hackett, Harvey Mandel, and even Django Reinhardt. Steve used both techniques. I don't know much about Mandel and Reinhardt. 

Do you know anyone before Hackett and Mandel? What are your responses? You are more than welcome to write more than one name.

Replies:
Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 09 2012 at 11:01
Find the guy who invented the guitar.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: PabstRibbon
Date Posted: March 09 2012 at 11:08
Who cares ? The only thing that matter is that people should really stop thinking it's EVH who invented tapping and learn their musical history a little better haha.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: March 09 2012 at 11:23
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Pretty much. Tapping strings rather than struming or picking is probably as old as the guitar itself, along will left-hand hammer-on and pull-off techniques (which is really just left-hand tapping rather than right-hand or free-hands which uses both), just as tapping and plucking violin strings (with either hand) as been around as long bowing. Hacket is credited as being the first Rock guitarist to use the technique on record, but I think that is more re-discovery than invention. The Chapman stick was invented in 1969 - it is a fair assumption that the technique was around long before the instrument.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: March 09 2012 at 11:27
Hackett is the earliest one I know of for finger tapping, but that is not to say he invented it.  I would not be surprised if Django Reinhardt used either or both of the techniques - he only had two fingers on his left hand (listen my friends and be amazed), but I do not know that for sure.  In the San Francisco Bay Area, during the late 70s, we had a guitarist named Vic Trigger (yes, his real name), who did multiple finger tappings that put Eddie Van Halen to shame, but I don't think we can credit him for inventin it.  (Sadly, Vic died many years ago, but his one album, Electronic Wizard, is available on CD.  Great ozone-infused rock.) 

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 09 2012 at 11:28
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Pretty much. Tapping strings rather than struming or picking is probably as old as the guitar itself, along will left-hand hammer-on and pull-off techniques (which is really just left-hand tapping rather than right-hand or free-hands which uses both), just as tapping and plucking violin strings (with either hand) as been around as long bowing. Hacket is credited as being the first Rock guitarist to use the technique on record, but I think that is more re-discovery than invention. The Chapman stick was invented in 1969 - it is a fair assumption that the technique was around long before the instrument.

It's a lot of fun.  Chromatics are, too.  Big smile

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 09 2012 at 11:38
"Big" Dick Nixon popularized wire tapping before Hackett.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: March 09 2012 at 11:45
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Who invented what tapping technique? There is pick-tapping and there is finger-tapping. I know what you might be thinking: "Oh, God, here it goes again. Who invented tapping." Actually, I have been to a forum ( http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518592" rel="nofollow - http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518592 ) and they had Steve Hackett, Harvey Mandel, and even Django Reinhardt. Steve used both techniques. I don't know much about Mandel and Reinhardt. 

Do you know anyone before Hackett and Mandel? What are your responses? You are more than welcome to write more than one name.
It is very possible that Django Reinhardt played a tapping style in one point of his life. His fingers were burnt off when the caravan he was travelling with caught fire. I recall that his index finger (from the left fingering hand), and his middle were intact while his ring and pinky formed a stub. He may have developed a tapping style to experiment with, although I don't recall hearing it. But with his level of playing, I don't find his experimenting with tapping to be doubtful. He was with the "Hot Club of France" and his soloing was the speed of John McLaughlin. One analogy was that he would bar with the index finger, sliding it up, and making it sound as if 20 notes were being played in a few seconds. I doubt this to a degree as there was something evident in his sound that would indicate otherwise. Many guitarists who have all 4 fingers on the fingering hand have the most difficult time playing what Django did with 2.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: March 09 2012 at 11:59
Originally posted by PabstRibbon PabstRibbon wrote:

Who cares ? The only thing that matter is that people should really stop thinking it's EVH who invented tapping and learn their musical history a little better haha.

A! Correct-a-mundo!

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: March 09 2012 at 12:09
The phrase used with EVH was "popularised tapping" and I think that is fair.

-------------
What?

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: March 09 2012 at 12:15

I will go with this.

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: March 11 2012 at 16:47
There's classical pieces that utilize tapping...so it was certainly well before the 1900s.

-------------
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: July 21 2012 at 12:50
Originally posted by himtroy himtroy wrote:

There's classical pieces that utilize tapping...so it was certainly well before the 1900s.

I don't know what everyone's talking about. Tapping is done with the fret hand absent the use of the picking hand. That's been around...well..a long time. Steve Hackett has never been credited with inventing tapping, unless someone some where made a typo or misspoke. Steve Hackett has been credited with, and has only claimed credit for, inventing two-handed tapping, which uses both the fret hand and the picking hand to hammer and pull against the fret board. Had anyone else done this before him. I'd like to know. I know of no one.

I recall there being a Frank Zappa interview in which he says explicitly that he was unaware of anyone using the technique before Eddie Van Halen, clearly unaware of Steve Hackett using the technique well before (was Zappa even aware of Steve Hackett period?). In Steve Hackett's case, there are specific places on recordings where it can be identified as early as 1971. There is also film evidence from Six Hours Live, which shows him doing it as early as 1972, which is clearly before it was popularized.

It is important to know who came up with it and when or at least how fresh it is at a particular time. My first introduction to Shadow of the Hierophant was after the technique was popularized. I was disappointed and thought it sounded unimaginative. Later, when I became more aware of the chronology, I understood that it was very imaginative at it's own time in history, and learned to appreciate it differently.

As far as using the pick to hammer against the fret board, all I know is Adrian Belew credits Frank Zappa with showing him that technique.

Steve Rothery from Marillion had a twist on things. He used a technique in which he bent a string, and while it was bent, he hammered one time on a note ahead on the fretboard with his picking hand, held the note down, and then unbent the string (with his right hand). I know of no one else who has combined two-handed tapping with string bending. If anyone knows someone, I'd like to know. Note, the lack of innovativeness on the part of Marillion has been an issue for many people.

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: July 21 2012 at 13:12
Didnt Don Cab invent tapping?
:-D

But really I bet there were BADASS unknown blues musicians in the early 1900's that used two hand tapping. I would bet money on it.

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: July 22 2012 at 18:03
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Didnt Don Cab invent tapping?
:-D

They invented their way of incorporating it. Big smile

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: kludge
Date Posted: August 15 2012 at 23:04
If you don't listen to anything but mainstream hard rock, then EVH "invented" tapping. For purposes of a thousand increasingly boring and irrelevant shredders who came after, he DID invent it. 

And certainly, it's a MUCH easier technique when either a: you're using lots of fizzy gain to compress the taps and balance them with the regular picking and strumming (EVH), or you play tapping exclusively so the dynamic limitations don't make it weird (Stanley Jordan). If you want to hear HARD tapping, listen to Michael Hedges, who fully integrated it into acoustic guitar with real dynamics. Now THAT is technique in service of feeling! 

For prog purposes, Hackett of course used tapping heavily in the Genesis golden years. There were probably others before him. 

-------------
Why doesn't the Earth fall? How can you walk upon it? It's the music. It's the music of the Earth, and the Sun, and the Stars. It's the music of yourself, vibrating.

-Sun Ra

Posted By: wmanser
Date Posted: October 12 2014 at 20:03

All I can say is I have seen footage of Django tapping as well as anyone. He is the earliest I have seen recorded. They have footage of him at the liberty science guitar exhibit doing just that.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152806635248033&l=c6922a7397" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152806635248033&l=c6922a7397

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: October 12 2014 at 21:09
^ good documentation--   as himtroy pointed out, tapping was utilized as a tool sparingly in both classical and Flamenco guitar music; generally it was a way to reach a note unreachable by the left hand, not so much as a special effect.   Later dudes like Reinhardt, Grappelli, and Hackett began using it toward showmanship.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 13 2014 at 06:38

The phrase used with EVH was "popularised tapping" and I think that is fair.
I agree, but EVH made tapping more obvious - I remember when a mate and I first heard "Eruption" we thought it was a keyboard, whereas I didn't know Hackett had used tapping until a few years ago.

Date Posted: October 13 2014 at 21:32
^ Because Eddie understood the importance of the tone and power of amplification in rock guitar which gave the hammer/pull effect much more immediacy and gain, as compared with Steve's restrained approach.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: October 14 2014 at 09:51
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Because Eddie understood the importance of the tone and power of amplification in rock guitar which gave the hammer/pull effect much more immediacy and gain, as compared with Steve's restrained approach.

Yup...what Eddie did with his guitar was so in your face and up front it was hard not to notice his incredible playing, to the point that most of the rock fans then and now believe he was the originator of most of his playing technique.

Hackett sat back in his chair on stage content to not be the focus of Genesis...neither invented it but in their own way created huge influence to so many young guitarists.

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: October 14 2014 at 16:24
Seriously? Tapping came about with hammer ons and pull offs, but who made it popular should be the question.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: October 14 2014 at 20:54
^ Then it was Ed.   Eventually everyone wanted to sound like Yngwie but even then Eddie was the undisputed king, by far the biggest rock guitar influence between 1979 and 1985.   And he deserved it.   It wasn't just the tapping either-- his use of pinched harmonics, volume swells, percussive slapping (as on 'Mean Street'), echo/volume arpeggios (as in 'Cathedral'), and a ton of other "neat noises" as he called them.

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 12:11

^ Then it was Ed.   Eventually everyone wanted to sound like Yngwie but even then Eddie was the undisputed king, by far the biggest rock guitar influence between 1979 and 1985.   And he deserved it.   It wasn't just the tapping either-- his use of pinched harmonics, volume swells, percussive slapping (as on 'Mean Street'), echo/volume arpeggios (as in 'Cathedral'), and a ton of other "neat noises" as he called them.

I am in this camp for sure.....EVH

I remember seeing him play in So Cal at a high school concert in La Puente at Bishop Amat, I think it was 78 or 79.

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 17:33
^Both answers work for me.

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 21:11
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I am in this camp for sure.....EVH

I remember seeing him play in So Cal at a high school concert in La Puente at Bishop Amat, I think it was 78 or 79.

Nice, he was at his hungriest then, that would've been right around they'd been signed by Warner.

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 09:54
^Did I forget to mention that EVH was awesome in concert. A true rock legend.

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 19:23
^ He was, though by the 1984  tour things had gotten weird and not so great, but it wasn't his fault

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 19:29
^Absolutely true! Crazy s%$# was going on!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk