Print Page | Close Window

KC-- Ladies Of The Road

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85958
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 05:25
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: KC-- Ladies Of The Road
Posted By: RoyFairbank
Subject: KC-- Ladies Of The Road
Date Posted: March 31 2012 at 19:16
This song is amazing. The song is harsh, but warm, hard, but sentimental.... The lyrics are so raw, sung so well, they are so explicit, so outright chauvinist that they come all the way round and are bizarro-world feminist.

Does anyone here find the song offensive, or find it out of place? I sense real desperation about the whole thing thematically, very well presented, it kind of is an inversion of all the chauvinistic rock songs, in the sense that is a chauvinistic rock song which negates the usual rock songs, because the singer/lyricist is regretful, but wistful, and knows that these girls he took advantage of as a rock star are like "apples we stole in our youth." Its a vicious little ditty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQKp5FVslG0%20" rel="nofollow -

So what are the thoughts and reactions to this, and would you want anyone to know you enjoyed this song? Embarrassed

Replies:
Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: March 31 2012 at 19:29
The song and album are perfect.

I rate Islands higher than their debut, Poseidon, Discipline, and any modern efforts. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: zachfive
Date Posted: March 31 2012 at 19:34
It is a great song from a great album. Not only do I want people to know I like this song, I want them to know I love King Crimson, so I play KC at work all the time. I was playing this very album 3 days ago and after this song played my boss asked what band it was. She liked the way the song sounded, but I doubt she'd like the lyrics if she read/heard them. She also commented how she always asks what band it is whenever KC is playing, but never can recognize it because each period of KC sounds so different.  I also prefer 80-90's Crimson, so it definitely is a big change when I play an earlier album.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 31 2012 at 20:01
Love it. Powerful song. And just enough self awareness to keep it in safe harbor, unlike, say, Hot Blooded.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: March 31 2012 at 21:11
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Love it. Powerful song. And just enough self awareness to keep it in safe harbor, unlike, say, Hot Blooded.

That song is so non-subtle that it's kind of funny.
I personally thought that Ladies of the Road was terrible, but it's been a long time since I've heard it.  Personally, I think that lyrics like that compormise the quality of the music, so I doubt I'd be very appreciative.  I'll try to give it (and the rest of Islands) a listen tonight or tomorrow.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: March 31 2012 at 21:33
It's the song that stood out to me on Islands.
I do not have the affection for that album that others have.  It has some fair jams, but some parts, especiallt Mark Charig's horn solos, are irritating.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 31 2012 at 21:41
Pair it with Tull's Back Door Angels

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 01:52
Talking about islands, my favourite is 'Sailor's Tale' , no less than a masterpiece song!

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 02:09
Sailor's Tale and Formentera Lady create a beautiful, contrasting duo. It's the linkage between the two songs that makes Islands so special to me.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 02:20
I could go all day about islands, but i'll stop here.

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 16:31
My personal favourite on Islands is the title track. I'm not that big about Formentera Lady, but I love Sailor's Tale and Ladies Of The Road. It is a really beautiful album, but one of the things I don't like about it, though, is that a fair amount of it revolves around noodly improv, especially Formentera Lady.

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 19:40
I actually like Formentera Lady quiet a bit. It's perhaps a bit slow and quiet, but somehow it doesn't bore me anyway. Then, there's the version on the live album "Ladies of the Road", which is a bit stronger, however, it is also a lot shorter, and segues perfectly with "Sailor's Tale", making both sound as one same song (lasting for a bit over 10 min the pair, so you can imagine how much was omitted from Formentera); however, I still somehow prefer the original studio version because of Keith Tippet's piano, and the female chorals that sound so... (haunting?).

Posted By: Zombywoof
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 22:20
I love all of "Islands". "Ladies of the Road" is an excellent track. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so!

-------------
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...

Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 00:51
Another thing i really like and isn't mentioned are the great vocals by boz burrel, i think he really suits the creepy, disturbing vibe of the music. I prefer him on Adrian Belew and Gordon Haskell any day.

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 13:17
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

Another thing i really like and isn't mentioned are the great vocals by boz burrel, i think he really suits the creepy, disturbing vibe of the music. I prefer him on Adrian Belew and Gordon Haskell any day.

Same here. Probably the most underrated of Crimson's vocalists. Not quite as dynamic as Lake or Belew, but could have been had Fripp kept that lineup together for a tad longer.

I was looking at some sites and most critics don't seem to like this one. Don't see why. I like the whole Southern European seaside vibe I get from it.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 13:40
Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

This song is amazing. The song is harsh, but warm, hard, but sentimental.... The lyrics are so raw, sung so well, they are so explicit, so outright chauvinist that they come all the way round and are bizarro-world feminist.

So what are the thoughts and reactions to this, and would you want anyone to know you enjoyed this song? Embarrassed

Oh my ... you obviously have not heard David Bowie's piece ...

Oh my ... you obviously have not heard Frank Zappa's piece ... or even the movie!

Oh my  ... you obviously did not read a lot of Miss Pamela either ...

Nothing new under that moon ... for anyone to see that sun shine or the birds to spread their wings ... and help you fly ... like an ...

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Zombywoof
Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 13:48
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Same here. Probably the most underrated of Crimson's vocalists. Not quite as dynamic as Lake or Belew, but could have been had Fripp kept that lineup together for a tad longer.

I was looking at some sites and most critics don't seem to like this one. Don't see why. I like the whole Southern European seaside vibe I get from it.

Because most critics hate everything that's any good. LOL

-------------
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 13:59
Originally posted by Zombywoof Zombywoof wrote:

I love all of "Islands". "Ladies of the Road" is an excellent track. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so!

This.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 19:46
I like the album.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 23:28
But you know what, as much as i love the band and the album, i would prefer another good song like the rest of the album instead of  'song of the gulls'. It doesn't really hold my interest. what do you think?

Date Posted: April 08 2012 at 00:43
As a matter of fact, I do like "Song of the Gulls" very much. Very interesting piece of music for a rock band to create... given my little knowledge of classical music, it rather sounds like classical music itself. Though it would surely feel out of place in most rock albums, it somehow seems right for this particular album.

Posted By: criticdrummer94
Date Posted: April 09 2012 at 19:40
I have always been a fan of the Islands line-up and the album they made. This was the song that I listened to over and over again and can't get enough of. It's so raw and real for KC that I just love it. The Sax in the song borders on sex at times as well. Love that song

-------------

MY IDOLS

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: April 09 2012 at 20:01
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

The song and album are perfect.

I rate Islands higher than their debut, Poseidon, Discipline, and any modern efforts. 

Oh, you are a criminal Big smile . Just kidding.

Talking about islands, my favourite is 'Sailor's Tale' , no less than a masterpiece song!

Correct-a-mundo.

BTW, I will not disclose my opinion on this thread when I already wrote a review for this album.

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: April 10 2012 at 10:41
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

That song is so non-subtle that it's kind of funny.
I personally thought that Ladies of the Road was terrible, but it's been a long time since I've heard it.  Personally, I think that lyrics like that compormise the quality of the music, so I doubt I'd be very appreciative.  I'll try to give it (and the rest of Islands) a listen tonight or tomorrow.
Cadence and Cascade approached the same ideas in a much more seductive way. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 10 2012 at 17:28
Originally posted by criticdrummer94 criticdrummer94 wrote:

I have always been a fan of the Islands line-up and the album they made. This was the song that I listened to over and over again and can't get enough of. It's so raw and real for KC that I just love it. The Sax in the song borders on sex at times as well. Love that song

Have you heard the live album "Ladies of the Road"... that one has this very line-up, so you may be interested in it (though it doesn't feature Keith Tippet nor the viola or brass players - except for Mel Collins who is part of the line-up).

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: April 10 2012 at 19:14
The great thing for me about Ladies of the Road is its absolute adherence to Beatle-esque forms, musically, once it ramps up. The horns, the whole deal. I love the song and am aware but don't pay much attention to the lyrics, having listened to Zappa for 40 years.

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk