Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85974
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 01:26
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Most influential Prog Bands
Posted By: dtguitarfan
Subject: Most influential Prog Bands
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 14:20
What bands would you say are the most influential bands in the Progressive Rock genre for each decade starting with the 70's?  I'm especially interested in hearing what people would say about the 2000's and on - it seems like when you get that close to today, it's hard to really say who has been influential.

Replies:
Posted By: frippism
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 14:23
^ it's hard to say what is influential from the modern age, because the bands of the modern age are still in process of influizing (no it's not a word. I'm tired).

-------------
There be dragons

Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 14:27
Haha, that's exactly what I was saying!  But I'd love for you to take a stab at it anyways - it would be interesting to see what people come up with and how different everyone's ideas are.

Posted By: thehallway
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 14:45

Obviously King Crimson, and, of that first wave of prog groups, they all influenced each other somewhat, along with the general Beatles/jazz/classical music influences.

Too early to say how post-2000 bands are being influential!

-------------
http://www.thefreshfilmblog.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: AlexDOM
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 15:09
For 2000s I think
Neal Morse
Opeth
The Mars Volta
Pain of Salvation

There are more...

Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 15:14
But Pain of Salvation and Opeth started in the 90's...

Posted By: Junges
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 15:33
We can't say it.

A lot of people say when reviewing an album or a band: "Ah, here you hear cleary xxxxxxx influences.". Well how do they know? Just because sounds similar? Just because it makes the person remind the band? I bet most of the bands they say that have influence from a certain band don't have or didn't even hear of the band.

-------------

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 15:37
Hmm...I'll have to think about it, but I can give a few picks from the 70's:

King Crimson, Yes, and Genesis (no explanation needed).
Rush and Kansas, for their profound influence, not only on prog, but on other popular genres (namely metal and classic rock).
Magma, because they started an entire genre all by themselves.

Another thing about Rush is that, before Fates Warning, Dream Theater, or Queensrych, they were arguably the first true progressive metal band.  Albums like 2112 and A Farewell to Kings were indisputably metal albums but also indisputably prog albums.  In my opinion, Rush was the first band to be fully prog and fully metal.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 15:52
I don't know if I'd agree that Rush were the first Progressive Metal, in the same way that I don't know if I'd agree with someone who said that Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath were the first Metal bands.  Were they actually metal, or were they precursors to metal?  They were definitely heavier than other bands before them, but does it make them metal?

And I think it's easy to say who was most influential - who was the most talked about?  Who sold the most albums?

I started a thread a while ago about doing a History of Progressive Rock radio show, and a couple people threw Magma in that thread as well, but I honestly never heard of them until this forum.  Were they really well known, or just the favorites of a few people on here?  Honestly, I'm not trying to offend those people who love them, but are they really influential?

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 15:54
I'd say the most influential band, overall, is King Crimson. They've meddled with so many different styles and sounds; they're extremely eclectic. Their influence has reached to so many bands like Rush, Tool, math-rock/post-rock bands like Don Caballero, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Dream Theater, Metallica, etc.
60's: The Beatles, Procol Harum, The Moody Blues
70's: King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant, Frank Zappa, Can, Magma,
80's: Rush, Marillion, Saga
90's: Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, The Flower Kings, Tool, Opeth

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 15:54
in the 60s, the Beatles, Procol Harum and Moody Blues  and maybe also Pink Floyd
70s (69), King Crimson, , Roxy Music, Kraftwerk, defenitly Pink Floyd, Genesis, Return to Forever,
80s,  Saga,
90s, Radiohead, Neurosis, Tool, Meshuggah

-------------

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 16:26
Mars Volta, Maudlin of the Well, Don Caballero, Radiohead, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Marillion

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: 2112R
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 16:58
I don't know if there are truly any influential Prog Bands in the 2000's. As an entire movement, it seems that "Prog" originates in the 60's with The Beatles and King Crimson, but from that point was picked up by pioneers. All those big time Prog names we all name off (Rush, Opeth, Pain of Salvation, The Mars Volta, etc.) I think simply developed the concept of Progressive music and mixed it into their own preferred field of music making. There seems to definitely movers and shakers of prog (those named above) who actually helped progress progressive music, but I don't think they are actually the most influential, especially considering the vast amount of sub-genres of prog found under progressive labels. That's maybe complete nonsense, or actually somewhat true, but that's just my 2 cents.

-------------
"All (the naked man) means is the abstract man against the masses. The red star symbolizes any collectivist mentality." - Neil Peart

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 18:43
Only time will tell who is truly influential.  That is why it is easy to see who is influential from the 60s and 70s.  In our  current fractured musical culture, I doubt we will find anybody as influential to the same degree.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: maani
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 18:50
Influential....where?  And FROM where?  For example, there are non-English European prog bands who had quite a bit of influence on later groups.  (PFM comes to mind.)  And if we are talking influence ON non-English European bands, then Gentle Giant would have to be pretty close to the top of the list (along with Genesis, Yes, ELP and Floyd).

But it sounds like we are being U.S.-centric here, so...

I would question the "influence" of King Crimson: they were certainly among the progenitors of prog, and there are a few prog bands who exhibit some influence from them.  (Mars Volta is among the most obvious.)  But I would not say that their OVERALL influence was very large.  On the other hand, Rush probably influenced more neo-prog and especially prog-metal bands than almost anyone (as well as quite a few non-prog bands!).  (Though some of the most influential neo-prog bands - Marillion, Porcupine Tree, IQ, Spock's Beard et al - were influenced less by Rush than by Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant, Floyd, ELP, Moody Blues et al.)

Ultimately, it is difficult to trace influence back "clearly" with any certainty in order to establish a "hierarchy" of influence, since there was quite a bit of "cross-influence" going on vis-a-vis the seminal prog bands (mid-60s to early 70s), and the supposed influence of later prog bands is itself based on the bands that influenced THEM.

However, it is clear that the Beatles, while not prog themselves, began almost all of the "experimentation" that led to prog, and influenced almost every seminal prog band to one degree or another.  (Floyd and Moody Blues are the two most direct, but Genesis, Yes, and even Gentle Giant show traces.  Interestingly, Crimson seems to have "sprung full-grown from the head of Zeus," with little if any direct Beatle influence.)

BTW, I'm surprised no one mentioned Zappa.  True, no one sounds exactly like him.  But perhaps second only to the Beatles, his influence can be heard pretty broadly throughout prog.

Peace.

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 19:14
None of them.

Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 20:34
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

I don't know if I'd agree that Rush were the first Progressive Metal, in the same way that I don't know if I'd agree with someone who said that Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath were the first Metal bands.  Were they actually metal, or were they precursors to metal?  They were definitely heavier than other bands before them, but does it make them metal?

And I think it's easy to say who was most influential - who was the most talked about?  Who sold the most albums?

I started a thread a while ago about doing a History of Progressive Rock radio show, and a couple people threw Magma in that thread as well, but I honestly never heard of them until this forum.  Were they really well known, or just the favorites of a few people on here?  Honestly, I'm not trying to offend those people who love them, but are they really influential?

I think the general consensus is that Zeppelin and Sabbath were, in fact, the first metal bands.  You could draw the line anywhere, potentially, but they were the first bands to be called heavy metal.

I don't know a lot about Magma's audience base but I think they're somewhat of a cult act (they're definitely not a mainstream band).  They were never very influential on the main current of progressive rock, but they invented an entire genre (Zeuhl) by themselves, which basically exists independently from the other prog sub-genres.  That makes them pretty influential!  

Horizons:  maudlin of the Well might be the best band of the 2000's, but did they really influence that many other bands?  I started a thread about motW-influenced bands a month ago or so and didn't get a whole lot of responses, which led me to think that they may have been too obscure to really make a large impact, influence-wise.

-------------

Posted By: Zombywoof
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 22:04
Its interesting to see what everyone has to say on this subject. I still don't get why everyone comes back to The Beatles. To me, they are a rather overhyped pop group and have very little to do with prog. Or perhaps I'm listening to the wrong Beatles material.

-------------
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...

Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 22:23
Originally posted by Zombywoof Zombywoof wrote:

Its interesting to see what everyone has to say on this subject. I still don't get why everyone comes back to The Beatles. To me, they are a rather overhyped pop group and have very little to do with prog. Or perhaps I'm listening to the wrong Beatles material.

What Beatles material are you listening to?

-------------

Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 22:34
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

I have "Abbey Road" and a best of, both on vinyl and I don't get anything out of either.

-------------

Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 22:49

I have "Abbey Road" and a best of, both on vinyl and I don't get anything out of either.

Well, that's their highest-rated album on here.  I don't know, try Rubber Soul, Sgt. Peppers, the White Album...I've only actually heard one full album (Yellow SubmarineDead) so I'm probably not the guy to ask.  Personally, I understand why people think they're overrated but I still think that their influence is undeniable.  Whether or not you like them, they still pioneered experimental rock music.

-------------

Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 22:54

Well, that's their highest-rated album on here.  I don't know, try Rubber Soul, Sgt. Peppers, the White Album...I've only actually heard one full album (Yellow SubmarineDead) so I'm probably not the guy to ask.  Personally, I understand why people think they're overrated but I still think that their influence is undeniable.  Whether or not you like them, they still pioneered experimental rock music.

I think The Beatles had great tunes that were often brought to life when other folks covered them. Have you ever heard Zappa's rendition of "I Am the Walrus"? Or Jeff Beck's take on "A Day in the Life"? Much more interesting than the originals, in my not-so-humble opinion.

-------------

Posted By: iamathousandapples
Date Posted: April 01 2012 at 23:35
Between The Buried and Me and The Dillinger Escape Plan(yeah, I know Calculating was in 99, but you count KC as 70s despite being in 69) count as influential 00s bands

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/thamazingbender" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: OT Räihälä
Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 01:22
The influence of The Beatles lies not so directly in the music they made (they don't sound like later prog bands), but rather in their exploratory work and attitude. There were a few things that they did, that weren't usual at their time, i.e.

- mixing together straight rock, music hall (Honey Pie, Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite), classical (Eleanor Rigby)
- making use of every available and/or conceivable trick of the studio technology of the 60's
- pursuing true contemporary art music of the time (Revolution 9)
- leading the way to thematic rock albums
- making compositions with several different movements (A Day in the Life, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Abbey Road medley)
- giving form to psychedelic music (along with a few Californian bands)

Others may come up with more, unfortunately I don't have the time to think of more right now. As I said, The Beatles don't sound like later prog, but ask any big name of the 70's, who in turn are seen as big prog influences, and they'll say the main inspiration were The Beatles.

Having listened a lot to the Smile Sessions recently, it's really sad that Brian Wilson couldn't finish the album right after Sgt. Pepper, because there was a fantastically fruitful "fight" going on between The Beatles and The Beach Boys, as Wilson, McCartney and Sir George Martin have stated.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/osmotapioraihala/sets" rel="nofollow - Composer - Click to listen to my works!

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 03:13
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Influential....where?  And FROM where?  For example, there are non-English European prog bands who had quite a bit of influence on later groups.  (PFM comes to mind.)  And if we are talking influence ON non-English European bands, then Gentle Giant would have to be pretty close to the top of the list (along with Genesis, Yes, ELP and Floyd).
Actually, Gentle Giant are not  "English" either. Two of their members were born in Scotland, and one in Wales. "British" would be a better term.

In musical terms, I've always felt over the years that Gentle Giant's place in history has been vastly over-stated (on this site at least). They were a band who enjoyed very limited success, and who at the time prog was in its heyday were very much bit part players.

Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 04:31
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

In musical terms, I've always felt over the years that Gentle Giant's place in history has been vastly over-stated (on this site at least). They were a band who enjoyed very limited success, and who at the time prog was in its heyday were very much bit part players.

Obviously GG weren't a big hit in Britain, where there was a lot of more approachable prog rock available on the market, but they had a relatively good following on the continent, and when you listen to a few Italian bands you can quickly spot the similarities. And just listen to et cetera's eponymous album, and you can add those Quebecoises to the list of those who were inspired by them.

But obviously Genesis has been the most influential prog giant of all time, because they've inspired several generations of bands.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/osmotapioraihala/sets" rel="nofollow - Composer - Click to listen to my works!

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 07:09
60s: Beatles, Pink Floyd
70s: Kraftwerk, Gong
not sure after that

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 12:17

Interestingly, Crimson seems to have "sprung full-grown from the head of Zeus," with little if any direct Beatle influence.)

Peace.

Crimson was heavily influenced by The Moody Blues, who in their turn were influenced by The Beatles.

Just saying. Wink

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 12:54

I would question the "influence" of King Crimson: they were certainly among the progenitors of prog, and there are a few prog bands who exhibit some influence from them.  (Mars Volta is among the most obvious.)  But I would not say that their OVERALL influence was very large.  On the other hand, Rush probably influenced more neo-prog and especially prog-metal bands than almost anyone (as well as quite a few non-prog bands!).  (Though some of the most influential neo-prog bands - Marillion, Porcupine Tree, IQ, Spock's Beard et al - were influenced less by Rush than by Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant, Floyd, ELP, Moody Blues et al.)

Ultimately, it is difficult to trace influence back "clearly" with any certainty in order to establish a "hierarchy" of influence, since there was quite a bit of "cross-influence" going on vis-a-vis the seminal prog bands (mid-60s to early 70s), and the supposed influence of later prog bands is itself based on the bands that influenced THEM.

However, it is clear that the Beatles, while not prog themselves, began almost all of the "experimentation" that led to prog, and influenced almost every seminal prog band to one degree or another.  (Floyd and Moody Blues are the two most direct, but Genesis, Yes, and even Gentle Giant show traces.  Interestingly, Crimson seems to have "sprung full-grown from the head of Zeus," with little if any direct Beatle influence.)

BTW, I'm surprised no one mentioned Zappa.  True, no one sounds exactly like him.  But perhaps second only to the Beatles, his influence can be heard pretty broadly throughout prog.

Peace.

Peace man ! Where have you been hiding?
I'm suprised that no one has mentioned The Mahavishnu Orchestra. Although a jazz rock hybrid Youcan't tell me that cats like Zappa weren't influenced by albums like Inner Mounting Flame and Birds Of Fire. Listen to how Zappa's ( and other guitar players ) playing changed after they heard these firebreathing frankensteins back in '72-73. Never mind guitar players everybody started playing in insane time signatures and tempos.

-------------

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 14:03

60's -- King Crimson

70's -- Yes

80's -- Genesis

90's -- Marillion

00's -- Flower Kings

Note:  this is based on the years of their most influence, not on the years of their releases.

-------------

Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 14:11
Yea that list just doesn't seem right. Sorry.

-------------

Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 15:06
Originally posted by OT Räihälä OT Räihälä wrote:

Frank Sinatra did that a decade before The Beatles did

-------------

Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 17:55
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Yea that list just doesn't seem right. Sorry.
u r welcome to improve upon it.

-------------

Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 17:58
How do you think Flower Kings are influential? 
And wouldn't Marillion be a bit more influential than Pop Genesis, seeing Script For a A Jester's Tear is the In the Court of the Crimson King of Neo-Prog.  

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 20:51
ELP   ;70s
King Crimson   ;80s
Anglagard   ;90s

..and you're right, the 2000s are hard, Don Caballero had huge influence on Mathrock so in lieu of a better choice I'll go with them

Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 21:02
Yea i'm surprised no one else listed Don Cab. Very important. 

-------------

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 23:47
60's/70's The Nice, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, VDGG, Magma, Camel, Caravan, Gong, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Nektar, Procol Harum, PFM, Renaissance and probably a bunch of others as well. SOme more than others of course. Any big or even moderately well known band is going to have some kind of influence on the newer bands.

80's Saga, Marillion, IQ, Peter Gabriel(he was very popular in the eighties), Kate Bush, Rush. Seriously there aren't that many from the eighties unfortunately.

90's Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree, Radiohead

00's Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Mars Volta, Opeth, Porcupine Tree(I'll list them in this decade as well since this is when they really broke big).

In order for a band to be influential they have to have some significant degree of popularity(at least within the specific genre in this case prog).

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: April 02 2012 at 23:48
Oops I forgot Anglagard. Ozric Tentacles for the nineties also. :D

Date Posted: April 03 2012 at 02:40
Originally posted by iamathousandapples iamathousandapples wrote:

Frank Sinatra did that a decade before The Beatles did

I didn't know Frank Sinatra was supposed to be a big influence for prog bands and their thematic albums. You always learn something...

-------------

Posted By: spknoevl
Date Posted: April 03 2012 at 07:58
Yes, ELP and Genesis because of the widespread popularity they acheived.  King Crimson and Gentle Giant for their innovation that influenced other musicians.  Tool, Dream Theatre and Porcupine Tree continue to influence the current generation of young musicians.

-------------
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 03 2012 at 13:05
Hi,

Tough answer ... but if you listen to some of the really early Spanish bands, I would say that YES would be the largest influence -- but would that not be weird when all they are doing is eiother singing in Spanish or adding a spanish guitar? When you listen to the Italians, I would say Classical Music was more the influence than anything else. The English version is mixed. The Germans would tell you that they didn't care about history or style ... check out that massive special on "krautrock" and specially the words by Edgar Froese ... which are really important ... and will tell you more about the time and what eventually became "progressive" music than anything else ... also make a serious note about the time and place ... which is even more important.

The "influence" thing is funny, weird, frustrating ... so you're band wants to use a Hammond Organ, and all of a sudden you are compared to blues bands! If I want to use a Moog, you are considered Progressive, and if you use ... a Fender Guitar ... no one gives a dang? See the problem? ... it becomes about similarities in sound and not necessarily the music itself. I always thought it was funny that people thought that Triumvirat or Kayak were ELP clones, and these bands are really different and not even close to ELP. Or in more recent times, seeing Eric Norlander (Lana Lane and the Rocket Scientists) being given credit for being as good as Keith Emerson ... and while you may like Beethoven, I don't go around calling you Ludwig'ian because you have a drum set in your closet.

I, personally, prefer that we judge music by itself. That influences are more about the listener, a lot of times, than they are about the music itself.

Check this out ... let's try this game: If you were the keyboard player and had these three keyboards, and I played bass, and Dean played Guitar and Snow Dog played Vocals ... we would likely be playing what we want to put together in music, and I doubt that you would say ... I'm gonna play this like Keith did in blah and blah ... or that I'm going to bass this like Chris does or did, or that Snow Dog would say ... I'm gonna do this just like Vivian did ... and so on ... you can for a minute but after that you become you ... not that person ... and this is why I do not think that "influences" are that important.

Now let's look at Richard Wright in PF ... have you tried to separate his keyboard parts? ... how do you define the "influence" from most of that stuff? Yes ... there are a few bits and pieces that we call "jazz'y" ... but in the midst of this ocean of weirdness?  (You can do this, btw, in any DAW out there ... and listening to these keyboard parts is a trip ... an amazing trip and better than the albums btw!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: jmatos
Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 02:05
The obvious names would be KC, Yes, VDGG... don't forget about Emerson, Lake and Palmer.  Thanks to Keith Emerson Bob Moog had to constantly make improvements on his synths so Keith could play them live.  He had much to do with the development of the synth.  

Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 06:20
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Tough answer ... but if you listen to some of the really early Spanish bands, I would say that YES would be the largest influence -- but would that not be weird when all they are doing is eiother singing in Spanish or adding a spanish guitar? When you listen to the Italians, I would say Classical Music was more the influence than anything else. The English version is mixed. The Germans would tell you that they didn't care about history or style ... check out that massive special on "krautrock" and specially the words by Edgar Froese ... which are really important ... and will tell you more about the time and what eventually became "progressive" music than anything else ... also make a serious note about the time and place ... which is even more important.

The "influence" thing is funny, weird, frustrating ... so you're band wants to use a Hammond Organ, and all of a sudden you are compared to blues bands! If I want to use a Moog, you are considered Progressive, and if you use ... a Fender Guitar ... no one gives a dang? See the problem? ... it becomes about similarities in sound and not necessarily the music itself. I always thought it was funny that people thought that Triumvirat or Kayak were ELP clones, and these bands are really different and not even close to ELP. Or in more recent times, seeing Eric Norlander (Lana Lane and the Rocket Scientists) being given credit for being as good as Keith Emerson ... and while you may like Beethoven, I don't go around calling you Ludwig'ian because you have a drum set in your closet.

I, personally, prefer that we judge music by itself. That influences are more about the listener, a lot of times, than they are about the music itself.

Check this out ... let's try this game: If you were the keyboard player and had these three keyboards, and I played bass, and Dean played Guitar and Snow Dog played Vocals ... we would likely be playing what we want to put together in music, and I doubt that you would say ... I'm gonna play this like Keith did in blah and blah ... or that I'm going to bass this like Chris does or did, or that Snow Dog would say ... I'm gonna do this just like Vivian did ... and so on ... you can for a minute but after that you become you ... not that person ... and this is why I do not think that "influences" are that important.

Now let's look at Richard Wright in PF ... have you tried to separate his keyboard parts? ... how do you define the "influence" from most of that stuff? Yes ... there are a few bits and pieces that we call "jazz'y" ... but in the midst of this ocean of weirdness?  (You can do this, btw, in any DAW out there ... and listening to these keyboard parts is a trip ... an amazing trip and better than the albums btw!
no

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 06:24
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Hi,

no

Can I play drums instead? And who is Vivian?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 07:12
^ Stanshall?

So, Pedro, are you saying that no one who ever picked up an instrument was ever influenced or inspired to play by someone whose playing they had heard before? And by implication of that, every artist is unique and original?

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 10:14
So nobody was influenced by the Mahavishnu Orchestra? I know McLaughlin was pretty sh*t and still is.Has no clue what he was doing back then or now. The Mahavishnu Orchestra played on bills with bands like Gentle Giant and King Crimson back in the glory days and blew them away. Prog bands couldn't touch these guys back in 72-75. As I said before McLaughlin sure as hell influenced Zappa. Back in the seventies Zappa raved about McLaughlin in just about every interview he gave for chist sakes. Was another band that was copied often. What about Neu!? nobody mentioned Neu! unless I'm going blind in my old age. They were copied by everyone from Hawkwind to Bowie.

-------------

Posted By: spknoevl
Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 10:41
I agree that Johnny Mac and Mahavishnu influenced many people.  Fripp has stated that he was so influenced by MO that he had to stop listening to them so he wouldn't up doing an imitation.  However, I don't really consider MO a progressive rock band - just a great jazz-rock band that influenced the prog rock movement and jazz movements.

-------------
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick

Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 12:01
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ Stanshall?

So, Pedro, are you saying that no one who ever picked up an instrument was ever influenced or inspired to play by someone whose playing they had heard before? And by implication of that, every artist is unique and original?

Not everyone has learned music because they heard someone else. This, of course would be harder in the Western World, where we think that the music history is what defines music ... but that's like saying that the indian in the middle of nowhere in Canada can not play his flute ... let me tell you ... there are some that make Ian sound like a little kid playing with his stick. Or Spain, where there are more guitar pickers on the streets that will make 99 out of 100 electric guitar players look really bad ... EVEN in progressive and prog music!  I keep thinking like this ... if someone plays a violin he is automatically a classic player ... and when you hear Shankar do this ... it should make you wonder ... is that really true? ... is it possible that there is music out there that we can not conceive that is not on the scales that we know?

I believe there is!

And the Indians in Mato Grosso in Brazil near where I lived played music ... very different from anything that you or I ever heard and the "rhythms" were not "westernized" ... or "african" ... as we know them. This is really hard to discuss here and explain .. because it is music defined on a "feel" ... not what you and I know. This is the same thing with "ragas" and their ultimate design and goal ... to free the musician to become a "master" ... which means that they can create "feelings" with their instrument that "takes you away".

I do believe, honestly, that a lot of this "progressive" work, was about people exploring these possibilities a lot more ... really ... listen to the lyrics of TFTO ... they don't make sense otherwise ... and is why that piece is so important for me and the "progressive" music genre. But yeah ... in the end ... nous sommes du soleil ...

And yes, Snow Dog ... drums is good ... I've always thought that with 2 drummers we could really spice things up nice!

So .. influential for me, as a foreigner with no country ... is harder for you folks I would imagine ... than it is for me.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 12:05
Originally posted by spknoevl spknoevl wrote:

I agree that Johnny Mac and Mahavishnu influenced many people.  Fripp has stated that he was so influenced by MO that he had to stop listening to them so he wouldn't up doing an imitation.  However, I don't really consider MO a progressive rock band - just a great jazz-rock band that influenced the prog rock movement and jazz movements.

Was, and I think it still is, considered ... "fusion".

The main problem today with a lot of this stuff is that some bands are using more effects and then calling themselves "metal" or "prog", where the one that goes "jazz'ier" is more instrumental and leaning towards the less effect style of work.

If I take the effects out of Dream Theater's guitar, I probably have someone just as good as Johnny Mac ... however, most folks will say that Johhny Mac is more important because he was born 20 years earlier ... and didn't use effects on the guitar! He used his fingers!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 13:20

^ Stanshall?

Not everyone has learned music because they heard someone else. This, of course would be harder in the Western World, where we think that the music history is what defines music ... but that's like saying that the indian in the middle of nowhere in Canada can not play his flute ... let me tell you ... there are some that make Ian sound like a little kid playing with his stick. Or Spain, where there are more guitar pickers on the streets that will make 99 out of 100 electric guitar players look really bad ... EVEN in progressive and prog music!  I keep thinking like this ... if someone plays a violin he is automatically a classic player ... and when you hear Shankar do this ... it should make you wonder ... is that really true? ... is it possible that there is music out there that we can not conceive that is not on the scales that we know?

I believe there is!
I suspect you may be over-thinking this a little. "Folk" musicians learn by ear - the Indian flautist or the Spanish guitarist learnt to play by listening to better players - they did not teach themselves from scratch without having heard how the instrument should be played or without knowing the old tunes that older players had played. To be "traditional" in that they are 100% influenced by everything they heard before, it would be impossible not to be.

Someone who plays a violin is not a automatically classical player - the violin has been used as a folk instrument for centuries - fiddle-players can be classical, but it is not necessarily so.

As to other scales... sure there are lots, all of which are easily conceived - just using 7-notes out of the 12 chromatic notes in an octave there are 462 possible scales we could use (and we generally use two of them - the major and the minor - or perhaps use one of the 7 modes if we are feeling particularly adventurous). If we go micro-tonal then there is no limit to how many scales we could create, all of them perfectly conceivable.

And the Indians in Mato Grosso in Brazil near where I lived played music ... very different from anything that you or I ever heard and the "rhythms" were not "westernized" ... or "african" ... as we know them. This is really hard to discuss here and explain .. because it is music defined on a "feel" ... not what you and I know. This is the same thing with "ragas" and their ultimate design and goal ... to free the musician to become a "master" ... which means that they can create "feelings" with their instrument that "takes you away".
And? One of the strange phenomenons of music is that even though some indigenous music sounds a little strange to our ears, all music is actually of a very similar structure and formation through out the human world. While we have invested a lot of academic time and effort creating the even-tempered scale and other wonders of Western Music Theory - this is only so we can collect together 82 different musicians in one place and have them play in tune, and then send that music score across the world and have another 82 different musicians play it and it will sound exactly the same. Yet for all that we haven't progressed much further than Pythagoras in the identification of octaves their division into tonal intervals. The human ear likes that tonal interval, and we all seem to naturally like pentatonic scales derived from those tones - there are strong science-y reasons why this is that I'll not go into here, but suffice to say Brazilian folk music and Indian folk music and Indonesian folk music and Hebredian folk music and Baroque Classical music and Progressive Rock and Regaeton all uses scales that are mathematically very similar.

Ragas are examples of some of those pentatonic modes (scales) taken from a 7-note scale within the 12-step octave, they are not a rhythm, they are a melody based upon those five (pentatonic) notes. They sound "eastern" to our ears because they are not based upon the even-tempered scale of Bach, but essentially they are the same as western pentatonic scales which is why Shankar, Harrison and McLaughlin could incorporate them seamlessly into western music.

Rhythms are also "genetically" similar throughout the world because we are bipeds and rhythms are made for dancing, even odd-meter rhythms can be counted in steps. Four to the floor, Dubstep and Waltzes (3/4 and 6/8) are popular because they are instantly recognisable as danceable, but more than that, we can count them in our heads very easily without having to be Carl Palmer. So when get to the odd time-signatures and rhythms we manage those by sub-dividing them into what we can count in our heads, for example - 13/4 is a mind-funk to count until you realise it's really just 3/4+3/4+4/4+3/4 (waltz-waltz-foxtrot-waltz).

I do believe, honestly, that a lot of this "progressive" work, was about people exploring these possibilities a lot more ... really ... listen to the lyrics of TFTO ... they don't make sense otherwise ... and is why that piece is so important for me and the "progressive" music genre. But yeah ... in the end ... nous sommes du soleil ...

And yes, Snow Dog ... drums is good ... I've always thought that with 2 drummers we could really spice things up nice!

So .. influential for me, as a foreigner with no country ... is harder for you folks I would imagine ... than it is for me.
Dual drummers never really work IMO (seen several bands try them and the results are disappointing - Space Ritual for example) - a better solution has always been to have a drummer and a percussionist (Gong).

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 14:01
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

What about Nue!? nobody mentioned Nue! unless I'm going blind in my old age. They were copied by everyone from Hawkwind to Bowie.

Never heard of Nue! Can't be that big influence... unless you're talking about Neu! Confused [neu] means [new] in German.

Edit:

Oh, and Moshkito: why do you always put three fullstops when one is enough? How can you afford so many? And have you thought about your carbon footprint? [Tongue in cheek mode off] It's a pain to read when there are one million needless fullstops.

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 14:03
OK...I will sing then!Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 14:18

What about Nue!? nobody mentioned Nue! unless I'm going blind in my old age. They were copied by everyone from Hawkwind to Bowie.

Never heard of Nue! Can't be that big influence... unless you're talking about Neu! Confused [neu] means [new] in German.

Neu! didn't have to influence a lot of people to make an impact, they just had to be an influence to the right people, and thus be an influence once-removed as it were. I think it is fair to say that many of the post-punk synth bands of the 80s were indirectly influenced by Neu! through being themselves being influenced by Eno, Bowie, Joy Division, Ultravox!, Numan etc.

-------------
What?

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 14:57
Neu! was also essential for the early post rock movement (Tortoise, Cul De Sac, Trans Am, Ganger, etc.), and, before that, for the noise rock / minimalist punk / avantgarde etc. Wacko movement consisting of people like Glenn Branca and Rhys Chatham. 

Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 15:40
So my German is a bit rusty. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

-------------

Posted By: Progdaybay
Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 16:16
I would say "The Flower Kings" and "Transatlantic". They are the masters of long and fantastic epics ! In the Symphonic sub-genre, which is the most "pure" prog, in my view.

Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 17:21
Head on wall

-------------

Posted By: trackstoni
Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 22:13

Peace.
   Totally Agree with this !

-------------
Tracking Tracks of Rock

Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 22:43
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

60's/70's The Nice, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, VDGG, Magma, Camel, Caravan, Gong, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Nektar, Procol Harum, PFM, Renaissance and probably a bunch of others as well. SOme more than others of course. Any big or even moderately well known band is going to have some kind of influence on the newer bands.

80's Saga, Marillion, IQ, Peter Gabriel(he was very popular in the eighties), Kate Bush, Rush. Seriously there aren't that many from the eighties unfortunately.

90's Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree, Radiohead

00's Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Mars Volta, Opeth, Porcupine Tree(I'll list them in this decade as well since this is when they really broke big).

In order for a band to be influential they have to have some significant degree of popularity(at least within the specific genre in this case prog).
I would argue that Genesis had the most impact in the 80's, although Peter Gabriel solo is also a good choice,  Rush, well, maybe... but I wouldn't put them in the mix.

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 22:45
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Neu! was also essential for the early post rock movement (Tortoise, Cul De Sac, Trans Am, Ganger, etc.), and, before that, for the noise rock / minimalist punk / avantgarde etc. Wacko movement consisting of people like Glenn Branca and Rhys Chatham. 
Neu! was very influential, but not on the scale of defining prog for a decade.

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2012 at 23:18
I'm going with Zappa. If you read through many of the classic Prog bands' liner notes, you will find that somewhere, he is connected!

-------------

Posted By: topographicbroadways
Date Posted: April 05 2012 at 00:40
Prog Bands of the 70's tended to have a pretty specific sound that has died out. There is way more variety nowadays in what would be defined as 'prog'.  Which is good. 

Agreed with the above. Zappa is a hugely influential artist. You can hear his influences in Avant, Alternative rock and lots of heavier stuff as well 

When you think of the general music landscape today classic Prog actually had very little impact.

-------------

Date Posted: April 05 2012 at 08:41

Oh, and Moshkito: why do you always put three fullstops when one is enough? How can you afford so many? And have you thought about your carbon footprint? [Tongue in cheek mode off] It's a pain to read when there are one million needless fullstops.

I write in what is known as a "thinking" or "theatrical" style. That means that the "dots" are what is often considered and called "thinking pauses" or "pregnant pauses" in theater and film.

It is possible, however, that while I see that, you might not, and that is a difference that is ... always the case between two or more people.

If I may ask, do you have to be an English Grammar professor to appreciate "writing", in any form? ... if that is the case I'm thinking that you are not checking out the meat and potatoes of the content at all ... and yeah ... you will have indigestion and not appreciate what was being said. It's like saying that everyone from Greek Mythology to Burroughs has to write the way you like ... that means you hate poetry and EE Cummings is your enemy! ... I forgot ... you are into prog, or something like it, right?

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 05 2012 at 09:04

I'm going with Zappa. If you read through many of the classic Prog bands' liner notes, you will find that somewhere, he is connected!

I actually agree, but probably for different reasons. Even John Lennon had already mentioned Frank, and what he was doing with the guitar was noticed in many places, and helped a lot of folks do a lot of other work.

In the end, even folks in Germany and France appreciated Frank, in ways that even he could not understand or relate to ... which I suppose you could say is the ultimate compliment! I always thought it was funny that the Faust album has that nice comment about Frank Zappa ... and he could not relate to it, or maybe only appreciated it in quiet but his "inner circle" could not allow him to appreciate anyone else, except some obtuse composer of music that no one really paid attention to!

I do think that somewhere along the way he could/should have come down from the wording and such in his music ... but in the end, in Southern California when you are branded with a blue and pink background and a star is born, that is all you can do and will do and that's that ... and that is where Frank stayed and his trust continues to keep him there ... a faded and gone rock star!

And seeing his son play the old "hits" ... is sad ... it's like watching the Boston Pops play the Star Wars theme one more time ... it's old ... and it's not sounding better! And I'm not sure that is a good thing to help his legacy!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 05 2012 at 09:39

Edit:

Well excuse me. I think I know the meaning of the word. Anyway. If you listen to Opa-Loka off Hawkwind's Warrior On The Edge Of Time there is definitely some Neu ! influence. Lemmy even said it was drummers Alan  Powell and Simon King's idea  back in the seventies after he got sacked.

I dunno I don't think prog bands were " influenced "  by other prog bands except maybe offshoot bands like Flash. Maybe The Nice had some bearing on bands like Ekseption or Triumvirat but I don't even think that they were even listening to each other. I saw an interview with Ian Anderson back in the seventies and he came off to be only vaguely familiar with the music of Focus who occasionally could sound like JT because of Van Leer's flute. Progrock or art rock artists ( whatever you want to call them )  were influenced by other musicians outside of their early seventies phenomenom and there was a lot of original music happening back then where did bands like Gentle Giant, Gnidrolog, Egg or Soft machine find their roots? Not from prog bands Classical, medieval and Baroque composers ( particularily JS Bach ), rock groups  from the sixties primarily the Beatles and jazzmen formed the core of their "influences. The movement was even dubbed " Baroque & Roll " by someone at some point I don't think any electric guitar player can honestly say that they weren' "influenced " to some extent by Hendrix really. I just don't think any band put in ad in Melody Maker that said something like : " Hey man, ELP copycat band looking for a cat who can play keyboards exactly like Emerson man".

Marillion is another band that everyone was comparing to Genesis and other dinosaur bands back in '83. I could never understand that. I can't see anything that the two bands have in common. marillion were just a band that became popular during an era where everybody was listening to new wave and top forty crap. I dunno. I think I'll just go and bash my head against the wall for a while. You guys read too much into prog when it's not really that complex at all.

-------------

Posted By: The_Jester
Date Posted: April 05 2012 at 17:47
I'd say Zappa too. He really had a big influence in music in general and, most particularly, in prog.

-------------
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: April 05 2012 at 21:59

Marillion is another band that everyone was comparing to Genesis and other dinosaur bands back in '83. I could never understand that. I can't see anything that the two bands have in common. marillion were just a band that became popular during an era where everybody was listening to new wave and top forty crap. I dunno. I think I'll just go and bash my head against the wall for a while. You guys read too much into prog when it's not really that complex at all.

I agree entirely.  They were more influenced by Pink Floyd and Rush and this probably became even more evident once Fish left the band.  He just sort of sounded like Gabriel a bit but the music didn't have a whole lot in common with Genesis. 

As for influence in the 70s, I think some Italian prog rock bands have cited ELP as a major influence.  Triumvirat also mention ELP as an influence.  The Canterbury bands influenced each other, but that is understandable because it was a smaller scene, with the musicians shuttling between bands.  But I broadly agree that in the 70s, prog rock bands were influenced more by rock and classical music and less by other prog rock bands.

Posted By: DiamondDog
Date Posted: April 06 2012 at 03:02
For me, the most influential band in prog was King Crimson, but in terms of importance, 1-2-3 (Clouds) is impossible to calculate. It would be healthy if we could seriously discuss influential bands of the 80s 90s and 00s, but it seems the legacy of the past is difficult for more recent bands to shake off.

Date Posted: April 06 2012 at 03:55
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I agree entirely.  They were more influenced by Pink Floyd and Rush and this probably became even more evident once Fish left the band.  He just sort of sounded like Gabriel a bit but the music didn't have a whole lot in common with Genesis. 

I disagree. They did sound similar to Genesis.

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2012 at 03:58
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Take Grendel and The Web out of the equation and I don't think they did. Fish's vocal style was more influenced by Hammill than Gabriel

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 06 2012 at 04:11

Take Grendel and The Web out of the equation and I don't think they did. Fish's vocal style was more influenced by Hammill than Gabriel

I hadn't even heard Grendel and they still did. To me and most people I knew anyway. I suppose the listener hears what he wants. I heard Genesis.

-------------

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: April 06 2012 at 04:42

I hadn't even heard Grendel and they still did. To me and most people I knew anyway. I suppose the listener hears what he wants. I heard Genesis.

jep, definitely Genesis

Date Posted: April 06 2012 at 10:11
Nirvana were a very influential band.

You'll definitely see a lot more Kurt Cobain than you see Steve Howe in todays rock bands

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2012 at 11:32
Originally posted by topographicbroadways topographicbroadways wrote:

When you think of the general music landscape today classic Prog actually had very little impact.

Depends on what exactly you call classic prog.  The influence of Can, Kraftwerk, KC certainly extended to non prog music.  You mentioned Kurt Cobain, I think he mentioned Red album as an influence.  I think VDGG also influenced post punk bands but that is not really my territory and I cannot support that statement with any confidence.  Oh, and I don't think Pink Floyd even needs to be mentioned. 

Date Posted: April 06 2012 at 11:37

Depends on what exactly you call classic prog.  The influence of Can, Kraftwerk, KC certainly extended to non prog music.  You mentioned Kurt Cobain, I think he mentioned Red album as an influence.  I think VDGG also influenced post punk bands but that is not really my territory and I cannot support that statement with any confidence.  Oh, and I don't think Pink Floyd even needs to be mentioned. 

I wouldn't argue with KC, Can and Kraftwerk having an influence definitely. Pink Floyd either.

I think the bands that maintained elements of the early Psychedelic movement have translated best.

Symphonic prog doesn't have much of a lasting effect was mostly my point

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2012 at 11:43

I wouldn't argue with KC, Can and Kraftwerk having an influence definitely. Pink Floyd either.

I think the bands that maintained elements of the early Psychedelic movement have translated best.

I agree.  It may be heresy on this forum but symphonic is a rather limited concept, limited sound and of little use outside prog formats where such an epic feel is not necessary and sometimes not desirable.  So it could not have had lasting influence outside those bands that do want to carry on the symphonic sound.

Date Posted: April 06 2012 at 11:46

I agree.  It may be heresy on this forum but symphonic is a rather limited concept, limited sound and of little use outside prog formats where such an epic feel is not necessary and sometimes not desirable.  So it could not have had lasting influence outside those bands that do want to carry on the symphonic sound.

Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: April 06 2012 at 14:20

VdGG influenced the theatrical side of brit-pop, just listen to this:

I don't know Pulp well enough to point directly to such a blatant influence, but I'm suspecting them too.

RE symphonic prog, this does not mean a lot but there is some influence in Muse's bombastic keys.

Date Posted: April 06 2012 at 16:20

As for influence in the 70s, I think some Italian prog rock bands have cited ELP as a major influence.  Triumvirat also mention ELP as an influence.  The Canterbury bands influenced each other, but that is understandable because it was a smaller scene, with the musicians shuttling between bands.  But I broadly agree that in the 70s, prog rock bands were influenced more by rock and classical music and less by other prog rock bands.

That's because they lost their Genesis sound over the years. Their first two albums Fish practically aped Peter Gabriel and then Marillion slowly gained their own sound.

-------------

Posted By: RoyFairbank
Date Posted: April 06 2012 at 17:10
^Fish looks like Shrek

sounds like him too

Posted By: WillisAndTheNorth
Date Posted: April 06 2012 at 17:17
The late 60's and early 70's were obviously the most influential and included: King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Caravan, Can, ELP, The Nice to name a few.

Date Posted: April 06 2012 at 20:21

That's because they lost their Genesis sound over the years. Their first two albums Fish practically aped Peter Gabriel and then Marillion slowly gained their own sound.

I did have all the Fish albums in mind when I said that.  I agree with Dean, other than Grendel and Web, I cannot hear any significant Genesis influences.  On the other hand, I hear prominent Pink Floyd elements in their music, more so on Fugazi than Script for a Jester's Tear.  Both Assassing and the title track evoke Another Brick in The Wall Pt-2.  I have noted similarities to Comfortably Numb elsewhere, can't recall offhand.  Back to Script.., He Knows You Know sounds more like Rush than anything Genesis would have done. And Garden Party is far too rocking, almost like NWOBHM without metal guitar, to be related to Genesis.

Posted By: RoyFairbank
Date Posted: April 06 2012 at 20:38
^

Agree that Marillion in the Fish-era is not overwhelmingly musically determined by what Genesis did.

However, much of their aesthetic was based on Genesis, and I believe their conception of themselves, i.e. as successors or revivalists of Genesis type attitude in music, maybe subconsciously but very likely also on the conscious level. Particularly Fish as a vocalist and performer embodied a Gabrielian style.

Their actual music passages were not necessary particularly Genesis-like, and I agree with the Pink Floyd influence on quite a lot of it.

Most importantly, the lyrics and album themes were a huge development beyond Genesis and in contradiction to Genesis, except maybe some parts of Lamb Lies Down (namely Back in NYC). They were personal political, straight, direct and powerful. Genesis had surrealistic lyrics that were quite lackluster. Marrillion was also sort of anti-Romantic, while Genesis usually gravitated toward some sort of romanticism in its lyrics, comically post-Gabriel (Trick Of A Tail, One For The Vine, etc.)

Date Posted: April 06 2012 at 22:28
Fish has a tone somewhat similar to Gabriel, though from hearing him speak, I don't think he is quite the baritone that Gabriel is.  His natural pitch is slightly higher, I reckon.  But, as Dean pointed out, his singing style is more influenced by Hammill.  The lyrics too are more direct and powerful, as you pointed out.  I like Fish's lyrics way, way more than Gabriel.  The opening line of Script...alone is immortal, "Here I am once more/in the playground of the broken hearts".  Metaphorical, but full of feeling and purpose.   

I think the reason people associate Marillion more with Genesis than VDGG/Hammill might be down to Mark Kelly's keyboard tones.  They do sort of evoke Banksynth though the parts are not necessarily that similar.  Neither Pointer nor Mosley sounded anything like Collins, he was a far better drummer than either imo.   Rothery has a tone that evokes Hackett but his leads are constructed more like Gilmour's.  He plays proper solos while Hackett was more of an ensemble musician in Genesis.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: April 06 2012 at 23:20
I'm surprised no one mentioned Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" and its offspring, the Mahavishnu Orchestra!   They blazed many trails & influenced guys including Robert Fripp (who admitted to avoiding listening to MO so as not to be "seduced" by it!)

McLaughlin is one blazin' cat on the six-string (or 12-string) guitar!  

Here, Happy Easter & Passover Seders to all! 

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: April 07 2012 at 03:27
I think we need to differentiate 2 kinds of being "influential": by innovation or by popularity.

Maybe it's easier to illustrate what I mean taking the example of rock guitar: Hendrix, Blackmore, Eddy Van Halen or Vai revolutionized the way an electric guitar could be played and as such have influenced in more or less degree all the generations of rock guitarists after them. For sure they were popular too but the major element of why they can be called influential comes from the innovation they introduced.

Page, Clapton, or Pete Townshend did not introduce much innovation from a technical viewpoint but became hugely popular and as such they were also highly influential to later guitarists.

As always things are not simply black or white but different shades of grey, and an example of such a middle point could be David Gilmour. From a technical perspective he did not really innovate or revolutionize guitar playing, but he developed a highly personal style particularly in soloing, plus he also became hugely popular and because of both reasons has been enourmously influential.

So innovation and popularity can come in any degree of mix but it's important to understand them as 2 distinct elements when judging who and why was influential to other musicians or bands.

When it comes to full bands in prog, all the big names have of course been influential and for a combination of their innovation and their popularity, but some more for the former and some more for the latter.  

Date Posted: April 07 2012 at 05:11

I did have all the Fish albums in mind when I said that.  I agree with Dean, other than Grendel and Web, I cannot hear any significant Genesis influences. 

You cannot, but I and many others can. The sooner we agree to disagree the better.

-------------

Posted By: Stevo
Date Posted: April 07 2012 at 05:38
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I think we need to differentiate 2 kinds of being "influential": by innovation or by popularity.

Maybe it's easier to illustrate what I mean taking the example of rock guitar: Hendrix, Blackmore, Eddy Van Halen or Vai revolutionized the way an electric guitar could be played and as such have influenced in more or less degree all the generations of rock guitarists after them. For sure they were popular too but the major element of why they can be called influential comes from the innovation they introduced.

Page, Clapton, or Pete Townshend did not introduce much innovation from a technical viewpoint but became hugely popular and as such they were also highly influential to later guitarists.

As always things are not simply black or white but different shades of grey, and an example of such a middle point could be David Gilmour. From a technical perspective he did not really innovate or revolutionize guitar playing, but he developed a highly personal style particularly in soloing, plus he also became hugely popular and because of both reasons has been enourmously influential.

So innovation and popularity can come in any degree of mix but it's important to understand them as 2 distinct elements when judging who and why was influential to other musicians or bands.

When it comes to full bands in prog, all the big names have of course been influential and for a combination of their innovation and their popularity, but some more for the former and some more for the latter.  

I agree with this.
I also don't think the answer is so easy.  Take Genesis for example.  Were they really influential?  Except for Marillion, and perhaps the Decemberists, I don't see their influence much in or outside of prog.   Same with Yes.  Sure there are a handful of continental bands as well as a couple of English bands that sound like Yes- maybe Glass Hammer is the best example- but no one particularly successful, and considering the following of Yes it seems their influence is disproportionately small.
Here's my half-baked view on where some key influences came from:
The 70s bands were looking back at the Beatles, the Nice, the Who, and Hendrix. Within the 70s I think some of the greater influences were KC, the Canterbury crowd, Pink Floyd, and Mahavishnu Orchestra.
In the 80s it seems to me that the greatest influences in prog was coming from outside of prog-  from Afro- pop, to rap (eg. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five) . King Crimson and perhaps Eno carried that the farthest and garnered a lot of influence into the next decade.
In the 90s-  I think bands were looking back again at the 70s. King Crimson shows up again, as well as Pink Floyd,  and some harder rock like Zeppelin, and Rush to a lesser extent.
In the 2000s some bands seem to be acknowledging the 70s even more- Pink Floyd and KC in particular. Radio Head , Mars Volta, and Rage against the Machine seem modestly influenced by the 70s but have established new directions and  may be some of the bands who will most greatly influence the rest of the next decade.

Date Posted: April 07 2012 at 05:47

I did have all the Fish albums in mind when I said that.  I agree with Dean, other than Grendel and Web, I cannot hear any significant Genesis influences. 

You cannot, but I and many others can. The sooner we agree to disagree the better.

You should know by now I can never agree to disagree Wink

I suspect the original observation (back in the 80s) that Fish sounded like Gabriel, and Marillion sounded like Genesis was tainted by the music press bias against Prog Rock at that time. I accept that there is some slight similarity, but not enough to tag them as a Genesis-clone (or a Floyd clone or a Yes clone) - they are a product of their time. Gabriel, and I suspect Hammill, were influenced vocally by Roger Chapman - all four vocalists share common idiosyncrasies of style and delivery (and I guess you could add Ian Anderson, Terry Reid, Joe Cocker, Tom Newman and Audience's Howard Werth into that late 60s alumni of idiosyncratic British vocalists, but I think Chapman was the most influential on Prog vocalists of that time). 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 07 2012 at 05:50

You should know by now I can never agree to disagree Wink

I suspect the original observation (back in the 80s) that Fish sounded like Gabriel, and Marillion sounded like Genesis was tainted by the music press bias against Prog Rock at that time. I accept that there is some slight similarity, but not enough to tag them as a Genesis-clone (or a Floyd clone or a Yes clone) - they are a product of their time. Gabriel, and I suspect Hammill, were influenced vocally by Roger Chapman - all four vocalists share common idiosyncrasies of style and delivery (and I guess you could add Ian Anderson, Terry Reid, Joe Cocker, Tom Newman and Audience's Howard Werth into that late 60s alumni of idiosyncratic British vocalists, but I think Chapman was the most influential on Prog vocalists of that time). 

I never knew how the press labelled them. I am saying that without prior influence when I heard the first album I thought it sounded like Genesis. Not a clone...I would never say that. But a definite similarity to my ears. I didn't even hear Grendel until a few years ago.

-------------

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: April 07 2012 at 06:10
I think it's a matter of time perspective. When I first heard Script in 1982 it sounded to me and all my friends a lot like Gabriel's Genesis. We all said the same so it had to be true back then. When we saw them live performing the Fugazi tour we felt like we were watching a reincarnation of Gabriel's Genesis, there was simply not much else to compare them to.

Now after so many years and having heard so much Neo and newer Prog, I do not barely see any similarity with Genesis anymore other than the fact that Fish singed and performed in a theatrical way. There is so much more music to compare with now that the distance between Script and Genesis seems much much bigger.

Date Posted: April 07 2012 at 06:27

I never knew how the press labelled them. I am saying that without prior influence when I heard the first album I thought it sounded like Genesis. Not a clone...I would never say that. But a definite similarity to my ears. I didn't even hear Grendel until a few years ago.
Okay.... let's say I find that unusual. Most people who listen to Marillion for the first time were/are aware of the claimed simularities before they hear them - I know I was back in 1982 and my reaction was affected a little by those preconceptions, though as a Hammill and Gabriel fan at the time I saw closer simularities in Fish to the former and musically (aside from the keyboard sound as already noted) the simularities are over-stated.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 07 2012 at 06:34

Okay.... let's say I find that unusual. Most people who listen to Marillion for the first time were/are aware of the claimed simularities before they hear them - I know I was back in 1982 and my reaction was affected a little by those preconceptions, though as a Hammill and Gabriel fan at the time I saw closer simularities in Fish to the former and musically (aside from the keyboard sound as already noted) the simularities are over-stated.

I can't see why it is unusual. By this time I dind't buy any music papers. Neither did the person who had the album. They weren't on TV. I suppose my memory could be wrong and I wasnn't the first to say it or maybe I had heard. Now you say I cannot be 100% certain. But even if I was aware I still thought they sounded like Genesis. And I didn't like Marillion either.

-------------

Date Posted: April 07 2012 at 06:49

I can't see why it is unusual. By this time I dind't buy any music papers. Neither did the person who had the album. They weren't on TV. I suppose my memory could be wrong and I wasnn't the first to say it or maybe I had heard. Now you say I cannot be 100% certain. But even if I was aware I still thought they sounded like Genesis. And I didn't like Marillion either.
Marillion had 23 UK top-40 singles and several TOTP and MTV appearances since 1983... Genesis had 21 UK top-40 singles and several TOTP and MTV appearances, VdGG - zero on both counts. As I said, I find it unusual that anyone could hear a Marillion album for the first time without preconceptions or prior knowledge of who they sounded like - unusual but not impossible.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 07 2012 at 07:39
^I think it is quite usual. I never saw them on TOTP until kayleigh or something.

-------------

Date Posted: April 07 2012 at 11:24

I was not responding to you anyway, irrespective of the fact that you may have the same opinion as somebody else who thinks Marillion is like Genesis.

Date Posted: April 07 2012 at 11:29
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I think it's a matter of time perspective. When I first heard Script in 1982 it sounded to me and all my friends a lot like Gabriel's Genesis. We all said the same so it had to be true back then. When we saw them live performing the Fugazi tour we felt like we were watching a reincarnation of Gabriel's Genesis, there was simply not much else to compare them to.

Yes, put that way, there must have been no other British theatrical prog rock act in the 80s to compare to Genesis (not really, of course, but neo prog was about a handful of bands in the 80s of which Marillion were the most popular).  I understand the notion that they were the Genesis of the 80s.  But on some other threads, I have seen it almost passed off as a matter of fact that they are Genesis clones and for that, I would have to hear much stronger musical similarities than I do.  I was introduced to Marillion as a Genesis-like band and it did take some time to discern those influences that had nothing to do with Genesis and overcome the strong pre-conceived notion that I was listening to a band that wanted to sound like Genesis.

Date Posted: April 07 2012 at 12:50

I was not responding to you anyway, irrespective of the fact that you may have the same opinion as somebody else who thinks Marillion is like Genesis.

I know you were not responding to me. I didn't realise that I couldn't comment.

-------------

Posted By: apps79
Date Posted: April 08 2012 at 12:31
From the 70s GENESIS, YES, PINK FLOYD and KING CRIMSON are definitely the most influential bands, giving birth to whole new music paths.

80's belong undoutfully to MARILLION.

90's see the rise of Prog Metal.Bands like QUENNSRYCHE, FATES WARNING, DREAM THEATER and WATCHTOWER define the sound of thousand of bands.From the (contemporary) Progressive Rock view I can see THE FLOWER KINGS', RADIOHEAD's, SPOCK'S BEARD's traces in a many bands of the 00's.

-------------
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio

Posted By: PyramidMeetsTheEye
Date Posted: April 08 2012 at 14:08
king crimson for sure 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk