Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=86497
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 03:09
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: My most favoritest unheard of band w/o a name
Posted By: Smurph
Subject: My most favoritest unheard of band w/o a name
Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 11:57

This band doesn't even have a name. None of you can listen to it.

It's music that plays in my head. These are not songs that I know or music that I have heard before, but I hear sometimes up to five instruments. Some of these instruments havent been invented yet and they make really intense sounds. This is one of the many things behind my musical inspiration. I'm not saying that I'll even be TRYING to come up with this stuff, it will just start to drown out all my thoughts and I'll start to flip into a state of true ecstasy.

Does anyone else hear music that no one else can hear by bands that don't exist?

Replies:
Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 12:11
if you mena a small meassure of tinnitus, then yes, i doo hear sounds in my head,

also yes i have made really cool prog songs in my haed but also extremly cheesy power balled (disne score esque) cheese

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 12:36
Smurph - you could put those voices in your head to work, and have them come up with lyrics. Wink

In all seriousness though, I think that kind of thing used to happen to me but doesn't seem to anymore.  Back when it did, it wasn't anywhere near as cool as yours sound like.  Mine were pretty ordinary pop-rock songs, or usually just a catchy hook.  And now that I could really use catchy hooks for a band who's ready and able to play my songs, none are forthcoming.  Go figure.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 12:43
I used to write whole discographies in my head.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 12:53
I used to dream up songs, write the lyrics down, and even sequence them into an album, and then (I'm not kidding around here) I would cut out vinyl records made out of cardboard and draw the grooves and label on myself.  I can still remember a couple of those songs.

Tell me tell me your opinion
Shall we take a vote
One against one
I'll tell you tell you my opinion
If it ain't no Pink Baboon
I ain't got no hell of an idea
What it is

(I think Steely Dan's "Black Cow" might have inspired this... but back then I didn't know it was a drink).

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 13:20
I've heard of one guy, he had an unknown band from 70's in his head. He called it Porcupine Tree.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 13:26
I'm currently touring the new double concept album witth no name around The States.  It's been pretty wild so far but the Record Co execs are pretty pissed off with me and the band for having this huge imaginary stage show!  Costs a fortune to bus all over!  *in my head* .

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 13:28
^ You should just see them imaginary groupies *inmyhead*

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 14:42
That would be awful if the noises went away. It's kinda one of the main reasons I'm able to write infinite amounts of music. I love the noises. They keep the voices away. Haha.

If I allowed the noise thoughts to write lyrics they would probably be more like

AND HE JEERED AND FEARED THE DEPTHS OF THE WORLD.
HE KNOWS THEY ARE COMING.
THEY ARE COMING.
THEY ARE COMING WITH FERVOR AND FEVER AND ANGER AND PESTILENCE.
THEY ARE RIPE WITH THE OVERZEALOUS.
THEY FEED ON NOTHING AND EAT EVERYTHING.
SIX CHILDREN WATCHED AS ANOTHER SIX TURNED TO DUST.
THEY DID IT WITH THEIR MINDS. THEIR MINDS.
YOU CAN'T SCRAPE THE INSIDES OF MY VEINS OUT.
IF YOU DO, YOU MIGHT FIND OUT WHAT I'VE INGESTED, AND THAT WOULD ONLY LEAD TO THEIR ARRIVAL.
THEY.
THEY.
THEY.

That's free writing things that pop into my head. It's not very pleasant in here. Hahaha
Also, it doesnt make very much sense but then I guess I could probably write prog music with it because then people would just try to figure out what I meant when really it's just my thoughts being random and crazy.

Posted By: Textbook
Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 15:27
Smurph: I too create music and entire albums in my head. It's very detailed and quite good in my opinion, but I know I lack the ability to make it.

Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 15:32
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Smurph: I too create music and entire albums in my head. It's very detailed and quite good in my opinion, but I know I lack the ability to make it.

Awesome! It helps knowing I'm not alone in this. Smile

Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 16:34
It's worse than that. I even interview myself in my head about my non-existant music.

Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 16:45
^Dude. You're the sh*t. This is the sort of thing that I used to do before I started making music.

Maybe give yourself a lot of time and instead of learning to play an instrument, learn to write sheet music without an instrument. You could figure out ways to get down what you have been thinking. You might be a musical genius and not even know it from what it sounds like.

Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 16:50
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Yeah I already said i did it.Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 16:50
I don't think having vain daydreams is all it requires to be a musical genius ;) Well it's probably a key part of it now that I think about it, but some actual capacity to get a record made is also useful.

Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 19:56
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Yeah I already said i did it.Ouch

Damn sorry I didnt notice that at first... not sure why.

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 20:12

It's worse than that. I even interview myself in my head about my non-existant music.

So you're Joe, of Joe's Garage fame?

I confess, I dream up tons of tunes that will never be heard by anyone.

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 21:20
Yes.  It's not always deliberate, but it's never some arbitrary, nonexistent band in my head; I think of it as my creation, albeit one that will probably never be shared with anyone.  Usually the music that goes through my head is death metal, which matches my mood at the times when I'm in most need of "head music."

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 03:50

Anyone got titles to share? Among my many imaginary albums, all of which were extremely well received by me, are The Minotaur, Planning Your Flight, Goodbye Suicide, Atheism Motherf**ker, Killer Towers and Kthxbye,

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 03:58
^I have notebooks and folders full of the stuff. Most of the folders are long gone but I could find a notebook.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 04:01
When I came back from China I found a whole lot of lyric books in storage in my parents house that I had filled up and was so ashamed at what a lot of nonsense the whole thing was that I put them in the fire.

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 04:07
I can't make full albums. I literally hear music in my head that I cant control so I scramble to make it but sometimes I don't make it... and then it is lost forever. A gorgeous moment of crazy.

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 04:15
Nah, I hold on to stuff. Like I've actually crafted some albums with distinct beginnings and endings that are refined but not changed over time. I even have a double album with two discs: This House Is Not A Home and This Home Is Not A House.

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 07:51
So 3 Days Grace ripped off your fake band?

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 07:54
^My band with the largest discography and most complete history with band members named etc..was called Flying Colours...I kid you  not.

-------------

Posted By: N-sz
Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 08:15
Might I recommend downloading MuseScore to write your songs down?  http://musescore.org/" rel="nofollow - http://musescore.org/
It's free unlike Finale, but it's probably not quite as professional and can get a little glitchy on occasions, but it works really well for the basics. I really enjoy it, and about half of what I know about writing sheet music, I learned while using the program, so give it a try even if you aren't already great with sheet music.

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 21:11
Smurph: You have admitted familiarity with Three Days Grace's discography.

YOU LOSE

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk