Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ryan Seacrest Makes $15 Million A Year
Posted By: Textbook
Subject: Ryan Seacrest Makes $15 Million A Year
Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 04:13
Does that fact deserve its own thread?

No.

But what it signifies does.

To me it seems to be incontrovertible proof that our economy and our values system is completely broken. Seacrest stands in front of a camera for a few hours a year on American Idol and goes "Here's this person going to sing this song, hooray" and not only that but he does it without distinction. He's not particularly energetic or funny or interesting in any way. I think most people would agree with that assessment too, this isn't some wacky outsider opinion. And he takes home 15 million a year.

In a world that is so imbalanced and unsettled, you can teach or work to save lives or be a policeman etc etc and struggle to make ends meet. But if you entertain people in a fairly indifferent manner, it's possible to take home 15 mill a year and everyone thinks that's fine. Don't blame the company that pays Seacrest. They wouldn't pay him this if the population wasn't pouring their attention and money into him. People could decide not to do so, but they don't.

Our professed values system is a lie and this kind of thing proves it. We espouse values that we don't actually reward. We tell everyone to be selfless and humble and to do real things to help people, but what do we actually reward and encourage? Entertainment. That's all we want. Something to stave off that creeping sense of windows closing all around you, that makes you feel it's OK to be a bit useless and irrelevant yourself because these successful people are useless and irrelevant too.

Here in New Zealand, they're shutting down Channel 7, a Channel dedicated to intelligent, quality television. The programming on it is excellent. Nobody watches it. Everybody talks sh*te about wanting to be informed and mentally stimulated and so on, but the fact is that the overwhelming majority of the population just says this for appearance. They really want vapid little distractions that confirm things they already think so they don't need to worry about having an inadequate worldview, that reassure them.

We need to give an honest revaluation of what it is that people care about because so many of us are continuing this fantasy narrative of how our society desires things that it makes no effort whatsoever to bring about. One of the things stopping us from bringing these things about, is the fairytale that we're already trying to.

Replies:
Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 06:15
Sleepy

Meaningless pronouns.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: RoyFairbank
Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 06:55
A mans income should be a function of his needs.

15 million is more than any man's needs are worth.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 07:28
Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

For me it's just more evidence that you can't tax the rich enough.

Hey, his dad runs a law firm in one of the buildings where I do projects, where's my money dammit?!?!

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 07:33
I have no idea who he is.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 08:46
It signifies that a single entertainer can reach more people than a single doctor can. What do you want everyone in the country to donate money to a handful of doctors? I don't really get your criticism here.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 09:53
Honestly? He doesn't deserve the 15 million, but he does a LOT more than stand in front of the TV for a few hours a year. That guy does an almost daily 3 hour radio show, daily E! News, produces massive numbers of TV shows on the E! network as well as MTV, he hosts American Idol, and I believe he also does a couple other things. The man is actually supposed to be one of the hardest working people alive in the entertainment industry. Sure, he doesn't deserve 15 million a year, maybe more like 1/10th of that, but he still does a HELL of a lot more than most entertainers that make as much money as him.

I am certainly not defending that evil evil person, because he helps subjegate our children into oversexualization by creating and promiting reality television shows, most of which include horrible behavior by the cast, and this terrible behavior is thought to be normal by someone who has not been exposed culturally yet, like children. When a 13 year old girl sees Kim Kardashian (all their shows are produced by Seacrest), she has NO CLUE that Kim Kard is a terrible terrible, succubus of a human being. Instead, she emulates her behavior. What a bunch of HORRIBLE SCUM RUINING THE MINDS OF OUR YOUTH.

But honestly, he is not the main one to complain about. If you want to comlpain about someone simply making too much money, try Tyler Perry, , Dr Phil, Ke$ha, Bieber, Drake, Lil' Wayne, etc. These people make way too much money and instead of working 14 hour days like Seacrest, they don't do jack crap.

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 09:56
Also, to the OP, we reward what makes money. What they teach you in school is not how the real world works. No one cares about others. "CHARITY" is doing good when others are watching. There is rarely such thing as "anonymous donation" and any large large donation that goes anywhere usually ends up in the hands of scum anyway.

In short, the world is a hellhole I hate everything.

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 11:17
So what? NFL football players make about the same money. I don't give much of a crap about what they do but millions of other do. Star soccer players also get paid like that. Many here won't get a damn about they do but I and even more millions actually do. These people generate money and revenue in other ways. And that's why they get paid those apparently outrageous sums. 

No matter how, no matter what kind of brain-social engineering you come up with to modify people's priorities, a fireman who saves a person or a doctor who cures another one will never ever generate the same revenue that one of this famous people can, therefore they will never be paid as much. 

I know it's sad that more people watch the Kardashians than a cultural show in PBS (the US' public channel, which, curiously, is one of the better ones) but that's how life works. Most people want to be entertained after their days of work and just prefer some extremely idiotic show. Many people have never known anything about what you deem quality television that have been catered to the elites. Most people are average people, stupid and redundant as that statement sounds. You are an exception. 

Also, being a policeman mentioned as a life-saving job sometimes can be quite a stretch.... 

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 11:23
I guess you take what you can get. If they are willing to pay him that good luck to him whoever he is. 

-------------

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 11:58
I recognize that name. WTF is he now?

I will once again say that when my wife and I decided to get rid of our TV, it was one of the best choices ever. It took a whopping 2 weeks to not even miss it. I'm not bragging, it was a simple experiment and it worked. I'm just telling people to give it a try.

The money system makes everything stupid.

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 12:07
Getting rid of my tv would mean getting rid of the screen I need to watch movies in bluray or dvd, one of my favorite pastimes (I never watch movies off movie channels, I prefer to do the choosing), and to play games, an eventual pastime, so I definitely wouldn't do it. I prefer to just ignore the stupid shows that abound, but I need my monitor. Also, eventually there's information or a soccer match or something that makes me actually watch broadcast tv. So no no. 

-------------

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 12:16
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Getting rid of my tv would mean getting rid of the screen I need to watch movies in bluray or dvd, one of my favorite pastimes (I never watch movies off movie channels, I prefer to do the choosing), and to play games, an eventual pastime, so I definitely wouldn't do it. I prefer to just ignore the stupid shows that abound, but I need my monitor. Also, eventually there's information or a soccer match or something that makes me actually watch broadcast tv. So no no. 

It's not the TV you need to get rid of, it's the cable box.

But I agree that there is occasionally something actually worthwhile and stimulating to watch.... Occasionally...

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 12:43

If there is really something interesting to watch, you can wait 1-2 years and get it on DVD

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 13:06
We watch DVDs on our computers. Including some old series.

We eventually (about 5 years in to the process) bought a desktop with a big screen to watch movies.

But I will tell you, if you haven't watched video with commercials for several years, it will disgust you.

Again, just try it. See what happens.

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 13:13
O i know this- makes you wanna choke yourself. I feel like commercials have only gotten MORE annoying.

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 13:14
Eh, even for you Textbook this is pointless. LOL
What do you want?

Does he deserve $15 million a year? No.
Do baseball players deserve $200 million contracts to play a game? No
This isn't even new...since I was a kid I've heard the parents complaining about him or her and how they have these butt tons of money and etc   I don't think many people like it when they really think about it.
I'll agree with celebs and athletes and all that our value system is screwed up but seriously, watcha gunna do?

I pretty much agree 100% with you especially about our general "now" society, love of the dumb and simple and throwing money at people who don't earn it...but all you can do is not be a part of it. (To the best you can)

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 13:25
Good for him, (or maby not, actualy..he should prob. get a life instead) 

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 13:37
Glad you did hit on the main point though textbook:
Natural inclination is to blame him or the company, but as you said...it's us.
It's not like he started a company that became multi billion or did something of use.
As an entertainer his outrageous pay is solely from us.

Is it "not right"? Not really, because if only 10 people enjoyed him it would not have happened. It is 100% because of the masses he's so big, he has earned it...because we give it him.

Like the people who make YT channels (IMO that aren't that great) but get huge and actually earn a living just from YT videos!!! How can this guy make a living from that while I have to work? Well, he put it up there and people liked it enough to donate, and enough to get him sponsored. He's earned it...like it or not.

Really, the only group that annoys me are people who are from rich families and can literally do nothing and live wonderfully (I've known a few) or these bankers/wall street people that shuffle $$ around and make tons but don't really contribute to society.

As for your point Slart, I hate to break it to you but:
By saying "you just cant tax the rich enough" you are saying, (admit it or not) you are jealous of his wealth.
I will fully admit I am, but I no longer hide behind by claiming their fair share. Deep down, it's a want to take their wealth.

Now I still believe people like....oh let's say Mitt Romney and Warren Buffet shouldn't pay 15% when my family pays 30% but second unfortunate truth for Slart:
Since the times of monarchs the wealthy have never paid their fare share, and they never will.
you may be surprised the shift in outlook you'll have when you accept it, and change from "punishing the wealthy" to "we should benefit everyone" Big smile

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 13:44
Let's just set everything on fire and let everyone die. Maybe next time people will evolve from birds and we will be too busy flying to give a crap about Bradgelina.

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:02
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

We watch DVDs on our computers. Including some old series.

We eventually (about 5 years in to the process) bought a desktop with a big screen to watch movies.

But I will tell you, if you haven't watched video with commercials for several years, it will disgust you.

Again, just try it. See what happens.

Oh, Ive been only watching Netflix stuff for a couple months now. Haven't watched actual TV programs in a while. I did it the other day, and when the commercials came on; I thought I was extremely turned off by it that I haven't watched TV until today, and it was Netflix anyway. TV commercials in the US are so bad that I'll stop watching TV or go to another room because of them. They're horrible and fake, and make me feel like I live in a dumbass country. And if it's a commercial for some smart-phone or an iPad or something, I want to yell at the people in the commercials and tell them to stop being distracted by all this technology and media and go outside or hang out with friends without looking at your phone for the newest facebook/twitter updates. Not to mention the music in those commercials make me feel like crap because they sound so depressing.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:03
If they evolved from birds, they wouldn't be people. 

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:14
^They might call themselves people.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:15
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Back off, this is my fantasy. Haha

And yea- commercials BRAINWASH children. They teach you that if you don't get certain things, you are going to be unhappy. Children under the age of 7 are not good at determining the difference between advertisements and real life. WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK IS CAUSING ALL THIS AUTISM AND ADD? ITS NOT THE FLOURIDE FRIGGIN TEAPARTY IDIOTS. ITS THE COMMERCIALS AND THE CONSTANT STIMULATION THROWN IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN THAT ARE LEFT IN FRONT OF THE TV ALL DAY.

I saw this commercial the other day, and some girl walks up and asks the friend how her and her boyfriend are doing, but the boyfriend died or they broke up or something- And the commercial was aimed at teenagers. "Dont miss out on the latest updates from your friends and be left out." BALHALFBHABKLALF FRIGGIN STUPID.

So suddenly you're a social outcast because you didnt check twitter TEN MINUTES AGO??? What sort of culture are they attempting to create? I hate everything. I'm not even kidding this sort of stuff brings thoughts of suicide because I KNOW I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO STOP IT. I worry about the problems of the world constantly, things I know I will never change. My mind just really really desires to escape all of it.

Wow, I'm really angry. Haha.
How the does everyone see all these issues and problems and not have frantic mental convulsions? Someone teach me to not care.

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:30
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^They might call themselves people.

That would be boring. I would think bird-people would have a cooler sounding language. Bird Man always spoke very enthusiastically. I take that as my basis.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:36
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Back off, this is my fantasy. Haha

And yea- commercials BRAINWASH children. They teach you that if you don't get certain things, you are going to be unhappy. Children under the age of 7 are not good at determining the difference between advertisements and real life. WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK IS CAUSING ALL THIS AUTISM AND ADD? ITS NOT THE FLOURIDE FRIGGIN TEAPARTY IDIOTS. ITS THE COMMERCIALS AND THE CONSTANT STIMULATION THROWN IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN THAT ARE LEFT IN FRONT OF THE TV ALL DAY.

I saw this commercial the other day, and some girl walks up and asks the friend how her and her boyfriend are doing, but the boyfriend died or they broke up or something- And the commercial was aimed at teenagers. "Dont miss out on the latest updates from your friends and be left out." BALHALFBHABKLALF FRIGGIN STUPID.

So suddenly you're a social outcast because you didnt check twitter TEN MINUTES AGO??? What sort of culture are they attempting to create? I hate everything. I'm not even kidding this sort of stuff brings thoughts of suicide because I KNOW I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO STOP IT. I worry about the problems of the world constantly, things I know I will never change. My mind just really really desires to escape all of it.

Wow, I'm really angry. Haha.
How the does everyone see all these issues and problems and not have frantic mental convulsions? Someone teach me to not care.

I think you might want to back off that autism hypothesis.

And for every advertisement aimed at kids, there's a parent that lets the kid watch it, and then a stupid kid who never realizes this system when they become old enough to recognize it.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:42
Maybe not quite autism, but I'm pretty sure ADD at least is more prevelant because of advertising.

There are countries in Europe that have effectively banned advertisements aimed at children under a certain age. Some children's shows are not allowed to even have advertising during the show. I wonder how much differently their children are growing up? I remember advertisements being a thing that kids paid attention to. Everyone could sing 'that song' from a commercial but had trouble remembering the words for songs in choir.

I feel like it creates an entire different culture.

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:45
Until I see some strong evidence that advertising even makes people want a product, I don't really care. I grew up watching plenty of tv shows, but I never wanted to go to an amusement park or have a certain cereal or go to the circus, or have a pair of jeans. Maybe I'm detached from it because of that. But I need to at least see some evidence before my opinion begins to dip. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:47

Maybe not quite autism, but I'm pretty sure ADD at least is more prevelant because of advertising.

There are countries in Europe that have effectively banned advertisements aimed at children under a certain age. Some children's shows are not allowed to even have advertising during the show. I wonder how much differently their children are growing up? I remember advertisements being a thing that kids paid attention to. Everyone could sing 'that song' from a commercial but had trouble remembering the words for songs in choir.

I feel like it creates an entire different culture.

America has something like that too. PBS. But parents let their kids watch the Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and any spin-off channels of those that are on Direct TV, Cablevision, etc which all have tons of commercials.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:51

Until I see some strong evidence that advertising even makes people want a product, I don't really care. I grew up watching plenty of tv shows, but I never wanted to go to an amusement park or have a certain cereal or go to the circus, or have a pair of jeans. Maybe I'm detached from it because of that. But I need to at least see some evidence before my opinion begins to dip. 

I guarantee a 6 year old boy sees a commercial for the newest toy that everyone else wants, he's going to want it too.

The thing is, advertising doesn't necessarily make you want the product they are selling right then and there. But over time, especially if you see the same commercial, or similar ones, subconsciously, you're going to want whatever it is, whether it's food, phones, cars, the new Lady Gaga CD, whatever it is that you want. And it's all "want", never "need". The things you "need" to survive in 1st-world countries are not regularly shown in commercials.

We do need some more music commercials on TV, for all genres of music, but that's another topic.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:59

I'll put my n=1 against yours. I wanted to go to those amusement parks and eat those cereals when I was a kid.

Advertising works and as evidence I would just say that the capitalists wouldn't waste their money on it if it didn't.

You can't kill anything by holding it down. You have to starve it, or by doing bloody violence to it. Starving is easier.

In other words, just turn off the darn commercials.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 21:05
Yeah, to say that advertising doesn't work is patently false. What's true is that it doesn't work on everybody.
I mean if we look at Justin Bieber, what role does his actual music play in his career. Very little. Not many of his fans would be able to launch an eloquent defence of his musical output in terms of his production, songwriting, performance and lyrics etc. The whole thing is just marketing ploys used to make it seem as though products with his face on it exhibit a magical aura that will make your life more exciting. (One sees the parallell to religion.)

It would actually be fascinating to understand what the difference is between people who are suckers for ads and people who aren't. Being immune to advertising is invariably a good thing and a sign of intelligence.

Advertising is essentially an evil practice as it is literally about making people feel bad. You can't sell products by making people feel like they're good the way they are- you have to make them feel insecure and inadequate so they need to buy what you're selling so they're not lame or missing out.

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 21:26
I accumulate approximately $100 every year, so I'm somewhat jealous. I'll be a pop singer someday though, and it'll be sweet. I'll pump money in to this site.

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: April 27 2012 at 22:55

I am certainly not defending that evil evil person, because he helps subjegate our children into oversexualization by creating and promiting reality television shows, most of which include horrible behavior by the cast, and this terrible behavior is thought to be normal by someone who has not been exposed culturally yet, like children. When a 13 year old girl sees Kim Kardashian (all their shows are produced by Seacrest), she has NO CLUE that Kim Kard is a terrible terrible, succubus of a human being. Instead, she emulates her behavior. What a bunch of HORRIBLE SCUM RUINING THE MINDS OF OUR YOUTH.

You're totally right about reality TV.  One of my friends just wrote a 20 page paper about humiliation in reality television, and it really opened my eyes as to the way in which TV trains us to enjoy the debasement of fellow human beings.  Producers fabricate embarassing stories and drama with editing, half-truths and bribery, humiliating the contestants and driving some to breakdowns and even suicide.  If you read the waiver you have to sign for the American Idol auditions, you'll see a clause that gives the producers the right to humiliate you, as well as one that gives them the right to reveal any personal information - factual or fictional.  I don't think I'll ever watch one of those shows again (occasionally I see half of an episode).  I don't watch much reality TV (or TV in general) but the things I hear about shows like Toddlers in Tiaras makes me want to barf.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Date Posted: April 28 2012 at 04:06
Enjoying the debasement of others has nothing to do with reality TV. That goes back thousands of years. We're instinctually programmed to seize upon things that make us feel superior to others. Reality TV is a just a convenient fuel source for this.

Date Posted: April 28 2012 at 04:23
Well, I can say this. At least Ryan is a likeable personality, in my books. He is effective at playing the nice, cool, fashionable host guy.

*ducks*

Posted By: PyramidMeetsTheEye
Date Posted: April 28 2012 at 04:25
15 millions that is alot of numbers 

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: April 28 2012 at 04:26
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

I'll put my n=1 against yours. I wanted to go to those amusement parks and eat those cereals when I was a kid.

Advertising works and as evidence I would just say that the capitalists wouldn't waste their money on it if it didn't.

You can't kill anything by holding it down. You have to starve it, or by doing bloody violence to it. Starving is easier.

In other words, just turn off the darn commercials.
"I Can't Believe It's Not Butter ... can you?"

There is no proof that advertising works because the data is unreliable - products sell with and without advertsing and they fail with and without advertising - when the correlations are positive then madison avenue claims a victory, when they are negative they blame the product, or the market, or the recession, though I'm sure some will find reason to blame the ad-men:
(needless to say, Dasani is no longer sold in the UK)

Advertising is like hypnotism - it cannot coerce you into buying something you don't want, it can only influence your decision to buy something you do want ... if there is a free choice of two otherwise equal products that you have heard of (let's say Pepsi and Coca-Cola), advertising will probably not influence the decision - whatever influenced brand-loyalty with the purchaser, it is deep-seated and developed over time - advertising may have started it, but choice of brand was a free one based on experimentation (you tried both, preferred one); whereas if there is free choice between two equal products, only one of which you have heard of, then advertising will probably influence the decision to buy, but if you didn't want either it won't.

People don't buy Pop Idol / Your-country's Got Talent or anyother promoted 'Pop' products just because of the marketting - they buy it because they like it - whether that makes sense to people who would rather listen to 90 minutes of drone is immaterial, they are not going to buy maudlin of the Well or Delusion Squared no matter how heavily they are marketed.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 28 2012 at 04:31
I've never said he's the worst host ever. In fact my targeting someone who's an indifferent host was actually not a smart idea because it implies that if he were hilarious or something then the salary would be justified but that's probably not the case... or is it?

Let's move on from Ryan Seacrest and have a look at Jon Stewart, who I'm sure most people would agree is one of the better hosts in recent television history. Now how much does he make a year? Bet it's a lot less than Seacrest, right?.... Well wrong, Stewart's annual income is.... wait for it.... $15 million.

So given that I think Stewart does a remarkable job, am I less outraged over his salary. Well yes and no. There's less ire because what Stewart does, even though people hate this word, is "edutainment". He exposes people to important things going on in the political world that they would otherwise miss. Yes, it probably would be better for them to go to actual news sources, but it's better they find out from The Daily Show then that they not find out at all. For this reason, Stewart justifies himself better than Seacrest.

However, Stewart still doesn't warrant anything like $15 million a year. Hell a lot of us would probably dream of doing that for $50k, sitting at a desk talking sh*t and mocking politicians. It's still evidence of how we as a society do not action the priorities we say we have.

Date Posted: April 28 2012 at 04:44
Prog Idol.

Date Posted: April 28 2012 at 05:00

Prog Idol.
There is no doubt it would work to some extent - in the UK we've had a Opera Idol ('Popstar to Opera Star') - it hasn't made opera stars out of the winners or contestants in the competition, but (ironically) it did result in increased sales of CDs of two of the judges (Ronaldo Villazón and Katherine Jenkins) - though both of them were (relatively) big sellers in the classical market before, it made them classical-crossover pop stars.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 28 2012 at 05:23
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Prog Idol.
There is no doubt it would work to some extent - in the UK we've had a Opera Idol ('Popstar to Opera Star') - it hasn't made opera stars out of the winners or contestants in the competition, but (ironically) it did result in increased sales of CDs of two of the judges (Ronaldo Villazón and Katherine Jenkins) - though both of them were (relatively) big sellers in the classical market before, it made them classical-crossover pop stars.

Fish and Rick Wakeman. With A Delegate from progarchives.

Format: Have to have a full band.

Mellotron Mondays

30 second Cape-offs

Lord of the rings / hindu books lyrics days

singing through a giant fox's head / slipperman costume

fitting in a solo of every instrument in one six minute song....

Date Posted: April 28 2012 at 07:47
I think to do a prog idol, you'd have to have people doing long songs (not always but a fair bit of the time) like at least 9 minutes long, maybe more. And that all by itself would sink this as a marketable idea.

Perhaps a prog website could do something like this as an online only thing where the videos can be stored, viewed and voted on by the faithful/hardcore, but I think it's unworkable as a mainstream product.

Date Posted: April 28 2012 at 09:17

Prog Idol.

As a classical music snobbish elitist pricklish afficionado, there's all kind of things I don't like in the information you just provided. Even reading BBB Music or Gramophone I never heard of such a travesty.

But even in this case when my contempt for reality tv is fueled for other reasons, if people want to watch it, people will watch it, and if thus it generates lots of revenue and therefore the stars of the show get paid enormous amounts of money, that's how the world works and nobody should complain. Those who say "things should be this way" are sometimes the reason why eventually people get to power who decide to make the world their way, no matter what.

-------------

Posted By: Alitare
Date Posted: April 28 2012 at 10:56
I hate being poor.

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: April 28 2012 at 11:11
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Enjoying the debasement of others has nothing to do with reality TV. That goes back thousands of years. We're instinctually programmed to seize upon things that make us feel superior to others. Reality TV is a just a convenient fuel source for this.

True, but that doesn't justify reality TV for giving us that outlet.  Just because humans naturally tend to revel in the humiliation of others doesn't make it right, and reality TV just encourages us to sink deeper into the filth we already wallow in.  I believe that the pleasure we get from watching the humiliation of others is a result of our fallen, sinful nature, and we should be shunning those sinful pleasures, not indulging in them.  Murder goes back thousands of tears too, but that doesn't mean we should have gladiator games to satisfy our violent impulses.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Date Posted: April 28 2012 at 13:41

Prog Idol.

As a classical music snobbish elitist pricklish afficionado, there's all kind of things I don't like in the information you just provided. Even reading BBB Music or Gramophone I never heard of such a travesty.
For a classical music snobbish elitist pricklish (oops, nearly for forgot the "L") afficionado it shouldn't matter - once a performer steps over the line from "serious" to "popular" they cease to be classical. Crossover-classical isn't classical music, it's pop music; just as all those 3minute classics by Andre Rieu or Vanessa Mae are "pop" music, or Nut Rocker by B Bumble and the Stingers or ELP, the Sabre Dance by Love Scupture and Dance Macabre opus 40 by Ekseption are pop, not classical.

But even in this case when my contempt for reality tv is fueled for other reasons, if people want to watch it, people will watch it, and if thus it generates lots of revenue and therefore the stars of the show get paid enormous amounts of money, that's how the world works and nobody should complain. Those who say "things should be this way" are sometimes the reason why eventually people get to power who decide to make the world their way, no matter what.
Come the revolution brother we'll line them all up against the wall and force them to listen to Roger Waters. Power to the people!

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 28 2012 at 13:55

Date Posted: April 29 2012 at 04:28
Looking around the supermarket and cafes and so on, I wonder how much of the food available there is never sold at all. It must be quite a lot. So we have a whole lot of producers/suppliers knowingly wasting food because they'd rather have the possibility of personal profit than the actual good of diverting these surplus foodstuff to the needy.

Priorities.

I was playing the Fallout games and wandering this landscape with echoes of civility and intellect that are distorted by filters of savagery and destruction and I got to wondering if this is what it's already like in some people's minds, the great achievements of culture embedded in their heads left smouldering, half-remembered husks by the bombardment of the nuclear warheads of shallow, self-interested consumerism.

Date Posted: April 29 2012 at 07:10

Looking around the supermarket and cafes and so on, I wonder how much of the food available there is never sold at all. It must be quite a lot. So we have a whole lot of producers/suppliers knowingly wasting food because they'd rather have the possibility of personal profit than the actual good of diverting these surplus foodstuff to the needy.

Priorities.

I would hope you would http://www.divinecaroline.com/22145/71877-leftover-food-go" rel="nofollow - check to see if grocery stores, et al. donate food past its sell-by date to charity before making such a sweeping accusation.  You might also consider http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/19/bloomberg-strikes-again-nyc-bans-food-donations-to-the-homeless/" rel="nofollow - local or state government regulations that would make giving such food to the needy is a crime.  But even then, stores will http://https//docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:9RFUnlcZdFoJ:www.epa.gov/osw/conserve/materials/organics/pubs/food-guide.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgyVTk3eEDMbRqUkO4SK3OKKDNu9In6WBv51wbxw__v2QZcpVI2gt_YrVvAJQeTkEpAvIJGZPfEmJCA2Nc6gNFiMsqUyKtuzLQ9C4_ZReISk-jb13P1YQVUpUDekKW8HNTOiLtq&sig=AHIEtbRkzi-PzAYkzZnv1Wv4Pr4JC-AIow&pli=1" rel="nofollow - donate edible but unsalable produce to zoos, animal feed-makers, or compost manufacturers.

A supermarket's first priority is to make a profit.  Wasting food and having poor public relations does not accomplish that.  It actually costs the supermarket money to dispose of food, and they can write off the donation on their taxes.

I was playing the Fallout games and wandering this landscape with echoes of civility and intellect that are distorted by filters of savagery and destruction and I got to wondering if this is what it's already like in some people's minds, the great achievements of culture embedded in their heads left smouldering, half-remembered husks by the bombardment of the nuclear warheads of shallow, self-interested consumerism.

You chose to use your time to play video games instead of helping the needy? 

Priorities.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: April 29 2012 at 07:41
The point in general about Ryan Seacrest is valid but its roots are pretty deep and at least a century old, if not more.  By and by, the ruling class have discovered the power of money and learnt to exploit it better and better.  And the more they do so, the more they use their position irresponsibly and take predatory, heartless decisions.  In this way, a lot many educated people have become disillusioned with religion or at any rate, leaders use religion as a weapon to perpetrate evil acts of cruelty.   And without religion, it is very difficult to support a value system.  Why should I give you the respect that I would like to be given by other people?  Why should I exhibit courtesy, why should I show empathy or compassion?  Why indeed if there is no God that might punish me for not doing so?  

I am not saying it is impossible to have a value system without religion but it is certainly difficult to get a large number of people to embrace values without God faith to sort of coerce them into it.  Human civilization remains in equilibrium through a delicate social adjustment which we are and have been for several years now in the process of breaking down.  Because there is no God. The God that priestly folk talk about is just on paper.  The only God is the thing that buys you food and makes you rich enough that you can show off and sneer at people who are less fortunate than you.  So may God help the world.          

Date Posted: April 29 2012 at 10:25

Priorities.

Restaurants are the ones that waste food. I work at one, and have worked at other ones as well. I'd say, on average, that we dispose of about 25% of all the food that is made.

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2012 at 12:51
it's really funny because I assume as usual, Textbook did this just for sh*ts

I really think he's compiling a book about human nature and is gunna use all this crap he's compiled on PA for it

Date Posted: April 29 2012 at 15:27
Rogerthat: Except look at societies where religion rules or ruled. They're awful as well. Sure, they give you a values system, but it's like communism, only works on paper. In reality, the leaders feel they're above that values system.

And there's nothing moral about values that come from religion anyway. People follow them in pursuit of a higher quality afterlife, heaven and hell is just carrot and stick.

Date Posted: April 29 2012 at 16:29
Through the Courts of the bureau of The Feeble District Clerk who awfully jinxed over why we still haven't split tries to close up.
Hailey stops that.

We're here to get circled.
      Don't let me ask twice.
          O. Hey. You. But.

One jar for two. Halfandhalf.
Ladling lumpy spoons. Liponlip, tonguetotongue doubling an amber moustache.

Date Posted: April 29 2012 at 16:48

Rogerthat: Except look at societies where religion rules or ruled. They're awful as well. Sure, they give you a values system, but it's like communism, only works on paper. In reality, the leaders feel they're above that values system.

And there's nothing moral about values that come from religion anyway. People follow them in pursuit of a higher quality afterlife, heaven and hell is just carrot and stick.

Agreed that values don't come from religion. That's a metaphysical proposition itself.

Values should be based on utility on the one hand and thinking-ahead on the other. Both are important.

Religion tends to take values of a certain utility at some point and makes them eternal, so that they neither think ahead nor adapt to changed circumstances or exceptions. This leads to significant errors.

A scientific viewpoint adapts and bases values on conscious understanding of what goes into utility and what is good in the long term, based on evidence and rationalism.

Date Posted: April 29 2012 at 19:33

I think the carrot and stick is quite important when it comes to a large section of people.   What exact higher quality of life you or I pursue is hard to judge and we cannot have a value system based on these things.  Societies which were religious BECAME awful because the religious leaders eventually turned corrupt.  I don't see that dispensing with religion alone will solve the problem; we need something else to fill the breach.  Right now, it is absolutely ok to pay a politician's way to power and make him pass laws that are detrimental to national interest just because it suits your own.  And what's new is it is even justified as being nothing more than human nature.  If that indeed be human nature, then humanity has set itself on the long, painful path to decay and deterioration.  Unfortunately, people are just too preoccupied with their lifestyle to either realize this or care about it or both.    

Date Posted: April 29 2012 at 19:35

Values should be based on utility on the one hand and thinking-ahead on the other. Both are important.

And does that not have all the potential to essentially be a selfish proposition? Perhaps I am alone then in believing that a entirely selfish social setup is not feasible.  If people are really going to ask, "What's in it for me?" every time an appeal is made to them for help, we are headed for deep trouble.

Date Posted: April 29 2012 at 21:03
Rogerthat: But it's a carrot and stick that isn't rooted in reality. While it's possible that heaven and hell exist, it's quite easy to come to the conclusion that they don't. One also encounters the problem of "forgiveness", where sins become A-OK as long as you accept X as your saviour or say a certain prayer after sinning. This is where the church sold out and stressed membership of the club over following its rules.
Our moral incentives should be as centred in the real world because they will be that much more convincing.

Date Posted: April 30 2012 at 10:40

Rogerthat: But it's a carrot and stick that isn't rooted in reality. While it's possible that heaven and hell exist, it's quite easy to come to the conclusion that they don't.

For you and me, yes.  But it's easier to convince 700 million farmers of the existence of God than to hold their attention through a discourse on metaphysics.  To that extent, religion has or had some practical utility, until the ruling class became greedy enough to use religion to sanction corrupt or cruel acts...and that was where the trouble began.   What are we of the middle class going to do about anything in any case?  As long as we are comfortable and hold steady jobs, we are not a threat.  But the social adjustment depends heavily on keeping lower income groups happy.  These days, though, the ruling class seems to have become so intoxicated with power and wealth that they believe they can trample on the masses and get away with it perpetually.  I have a feeling the endgame will be messy.

Our moral incentives should be as centred in the real world because they will be that much more convincing.

But the real world is perceptive and subjective, thereby also allowing enough margin for people to rationalize their mistakes and develop their own value systems to justify themselves if they so wish.  I am not a religious person, just by the by, but between two evils to control people - religion and money - I do believe the former is at least marginally preferable because there is at least the pretense of good intentions.  But once we get to the money game, any means can be justified by the end....of making hitherto unheard of money.

Date Posted: April 30 2012 at 19:16
Not if you educate people about balance and cause and effect. Making the world worse in order to make money personally still makes the world worse, and it's not in your self-interest to cause deterioration to the place you live in because eventually people will be paying the piper or people you care about could be under the gun.

Date Posted: April 30 2012 at 21:09

Not if you educate people about balance and cause and effect. Making the world worse in order to make money personally still makes the world worse, and it's not in your self-interest to cause deterioration to the place you live in because eventually people will be paying the piper or people you care about could be under the gun.

Cause and effect is in the long run and as my economics professor was fond of saying, the long run never seems to come.  I have seen many instances of short term, selfish decision making from people in positions of power.  Not just politicians of whom expectations have probably become very low, but heads of large organizations, who declare large bonuses for themselves even as the company makes losses and the rest of the staff is subject to austerity measures.  Once you multiply the financial stakes to a certain level - and this mainly happened in the 90s and onwards - it becomes difficult to weigh pros and cons and the opportunity to make a killing looks irresistible.  This kind of thinking eventually percolates downward so that it's every man for himself and the idea of the greater good of all is merely paid lip service to.

Date Posted: April 30 2012 at 22:57
But this doesn't have to be the case. Long-range thinking is one of the defining elements of being intelligent/educated. With development of intellect and education, people can be made to see beyond the next five minutes. If this is stressed, you can end up with people more aware of negative consequences, who subsequently are less prone to wrecking things.

However, the problem is that the academics and intellectuals who seek the end I describe above, are in competition with producers of material goods, who want us to be thoughtless and impulsive so that we throw money at them in return for next to nothing. They have already successfully established the notion of learning=bad, wasting money=good in popular culture and reversing that is an uphill battle to say the least.

Date Posted: April 30 2012 at 23:36

However, the problem is that the academics and intellectuals who seek the end I describe above, are in competition with producers of material goods, who want us to be thoughtless and impulsive so that we throw money at them in return for next to nothing. They have already successfully established the notion of learning=bad, wasting money=good in popular culture and reversing that is an uphill battle to say the least.

That is indeed my point as well, funnily enough.  Well, the rich have to endorse and live up to a value system, because, however vague a value system may be in theory, in practice it at least enforces some measure of discipline and consideration for the other person.   In my parents' generation, people didn't turn away hungry passersby even if they didn't have enough to feed their own family for the night in the first place.  Today, we don't even have the manners and courtesy to vacate the table for another customer once we are done, even when the restaurant is crowded.  It seems a waiter has to walk up and nudge them gently to tell them to move on.  People bathe their cars in several buckets of water everyday even when there is a nationwide water shortage in summer.  I don't know where we are getting to with so much callousness and selfishness.   And it's when the great water crisis of the 21st century REALLY kicks in that the 'fun' will start. 

By the way, it is not as if a person pursuing a respectable but modestly paying profession cannot make enough to meet his ends even today.   At least in my country teachers are remunerated more handsomely than before because good teachers are in short supply.  But there is seemingly no place for any kind of idealism in choosing a career; everyone is in a rat race for the jobs that pay best.

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 00:06
I personally will be very very surprised if WWIII does not kick off within my life time (I'm 30) and I expect the water crisis to play a large role in it.*
But more on topic, I suspect this "people in the past were naturally more polite" thing is bollocks. One, people always lionise the past. Two, I'm not sure they were polite, more deferential to those they believed to be superior and/or concerned with what others thought/said about them, which caused them to behave as though they were polite.

The Occupy Movement seemed to be something of a reaction against the rat race mentality, though an ineffectual one.

*Yes, yes, I won't be surprised because it's impossible to be surprised at something not happening in your lifetime as it requires you first be dead, thanks Epignosis.

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 00:14

But more on topic, I suspect this "people in the past were naturally more polite" thing is bollocks. One, people always lionise the past. Two, I'm not sure they were polite, more deferential to those they believed to be superior and/or concerned with what others thought/said about them, which caused them to behave as though they were polite.

I can affirm that just that in my formative years and (ongoing) youth, I have seen a lot of changes.  Maybe in a third world country that is still maturing, these changes happen more drastically and can be observed while in advanced nations, it is more gradual.  

I had never seen road rage in my city until up to the last five years. Since then, seeing drivers come to blows even to the point sometimes of bloodshed, has become a fairly 'normal' sight.   True, traffic gets more painful year after year but it's not as if it was all smooth sailing earlier.  People were more tolerant and patient before, now they are overaggressive and short tempered or at least have more capacity to be.   It's there in the trains too, in the neighbourhood. 

In a bizarre incident, a housewife called up the police and got a few kids in the neighbourhood sent to jail for the crime of playing cricket to pass time during their summer holidays.  Even the idea of the police recognizing this as a 'complaint' would have been unthinkable earlier.  We are becoming very petty and fight with each other for absolutely stupid things.  So, to that extent, I have to disagree; it is not just any misplaced nostalgic yearning. I have seen firsthand how a once friendly citizenry is becoming rather uptight and given the sheer population density it supports, that is a very sad development.   

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 00:22
The problem I have with "people are less polite nowadays because they are just magically becoming terrible for no apparent reason" is that it suggests as though there is some sort of mysterious force that alters people's basic nature over time outside of causality and event.

Remember that back in the days of the Wild West, people were routinely shot for cheating at cards. This is because at the time, many of the traveling gunslingers could not or would not find steady paying jobs, so cards were a serious source of revenue and by cheating at cards you were threatening their livelihood.

Nowadays we don't shoot people for cheating at cards so I guess we've become more peaceful. Or is it that circumstances have changed?

There's more road rage because there's more traffic.

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 00:32

The problem I have with "people are less polite nowadays because they are just magically becoming terrible for no apparent reason" is that it suggests as though there is some sort of mysterious force that alters people's basic nature over time outside of causality and event.  

There is no mystery to it.  People only try to be nice to the ones they have to be, like their boss or anybody they do business with.   Who cares if you are rude to your fellow commuter? We will simply rationalize it as he has probably been rude to somebody else some other time himself, so big deal.    Things get to a point where the means don't really matter while the end(s) become ever more important which puts a lot of pressure on the social system.  

Remember that back in the days of the Wild West, people were routinely shot for cheating at cards. This is because that at the time, many of the traveling gunslingers could not or would not find steady paying jobs, so cards were a serious source of revenue and by cheating at cards you were threatening their livelihood.

But you are speaking of a certain violent class of people who might behave that way.   There were horseriding dacoits earlier but they have now disappeared.  Doesn't mean everybody back then was just a dacoit.   The underworld was very active until about 10 years back in my city and there were routine 'encounters' with the police.  Doesn't mean people like us who depended on steady, respectable jobs had anything to do with the underworld or harboured delusions that we could behave like gangsters.  But lifestyle and money makes the man arrogant and inconsiderate.  You are what you are, not what you wear or eat but these words may well have no meaning left today. 

There's more road rage because there's more traffic.

Not really, at least speaking for 'my' reality.  The density of traffic has gone up but it moves a little faster than before so the average time taken between two places is more or less what it was before.  What has changed is the make-up of cars that people drive and the most imperceptible scratch on an expensive car can still provoke a fit of fury.

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 00:38
I don't think you've got the "getting shot playing cards" thing quite right because while there are still gangsters and always will be, the difference is that back in those days, getting shot for cheating at cards was acceptable to most people. If it were very firmly established that I was a card cheat, let's say I was caught red-handed in front of a crowd of onlookers, ordinary citizens and lawmen alike would've sat on their porch reading the newspaper while my murderer strolled away.

Today, I don't think the mainstream is "cool" with people getting shot for cheating at cards or any game. Violence is like energy, it doesn't grow or shrink, it just moves elsewhere.

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 00:47

I don't think you've got the "getting shot playing cards" thing quite right because while there are still gangsters and always will be, the difference is that back in those days, getting shot for cheating at cards was acceptable to most people. If it were very firmly established that I was a card cheat, let's say I was caught red-handed in front of a crowd of onlookers, ordinary citizens and lawmen alike would've sat on their porch reading the newspaper while my murdered strolled away.

Today, I don't think the mainstream is "cool" with people getting shot for cheating at cards or any game. Violence is like energy, it doesn't grow or shrink, it just moves elsewhere.

Yes, I agree, it makes more sense now.    But that's a bad thing in a way.  If violence gets directed to serious business rather than playing cards, it hampers our capacity to co-operate.   In the cards example, it still has to do with cheating in the midst of a few people playing a game.   Whereas somebody complaining to the police against kids playing a game smacks of a self centred attitude.  I am sure that lady would feel aggrieved if somebody did so to her own kid but it is that capacity to put yourself in the other person's shoes that was missing in her actions.  I especially have difficulty grasping how a married woman would want to deprive some children of their childhood...I can understand a cranky, lonely old man doing something like that even if it would still leave a bad taste.     

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 01:01
I think your getting interested in the marital status of the person doing the complaining is a bit suspicious. How on earth is it relevant?
Either it's something worth complaining about or it's not. Also, here's the entirety of the story you told:
"In a bizarre incident, a housewife called up the police and got a few kids in the neighbourhood sent to jail for the crime of playing cricket to pass time during their summer holidays."

This is obviously not what happened.

Housewife: Hello? Police? Some kids are playing cricket to pass the time. Arrest them at once.
Police: RIGHT! OFF TO JAIL YOU LOT.

There's clearly some context missing. Could you link to an article describing this case?

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 01:09

I think your getting interested in the marital status of the person doing the complaining is a bit suspicious. How on earth is it relevant?
Either it's something worth complaining about or it's not. Also, here's the entirety of the story you told:
"In a bizarre incident, a housewife called up the police and got a few kids in the neighbourhood sent to jail for the crime of playing cricket to pass time during their summer holidays."

This is obviously not what happened.

Housewife: Hello? Police? Some kids are playing cricket to pass the time. Arrest them at once.
Police: RIGHT! OFF TO JAIL YOU LOT.

There's clearly some context missing. Could you link to an article describing this case?

The marital status is relevant because I would expect a mother to take kids making a ruckus in her stride more easily.   In either event, it is a non issue and shouldn't be worth complaining about but I find it a little more scary to think that a married woman would do that.  Well, we have not been in a nuclear family setup for very long and ladies in the neighbourhood would sort of babysit the kids until not so long ago so this is a sea change in approach. 

Here's the link...you can read, I haven't made up any part of the story. It IS as bizarre as I narrated it.   This report doesn't mention her marital status but I remember it was mentioned when I read it in the papers:

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2012/apr/220412-Two-hours-in-jail-for-a-game-of-cricket.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.mid-day.com/news/2012/apr/220412-Two-hours-in-jail-for-a-game-of-cricket.htm

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 01:12
It's hardly five minutes by foot from where I reside.  Praise the lord that I don't know her personally, otherwise I would have to confront her for such extreme pettiness and such an utter lack of compassion.

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 01:18
Do you think you could find a write-up that's a little more subjective?

And they were not "arrested for playing cricket" but for making inappropriate noise in an inappropriate area. Whether they really were doing that I don't know, but that's the actual charge.

But more importantly, why are we discussing this incident? Do you think annoying old biddies or thoughtless thugs in uniform are a new phenomenon?

The earlier part of our conversation brought this to mind:

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 01:26

But more importantly, why are we discussing this incident? Do you think annoying old biddies or thoughtless thugs in uniform are a new phenomenon?

I don't know, I guess there is some cultural gulf here because these kind of things ARE very new in India.  They just didn't happen. I don't know what the elite are up to but middle class and lower class life was based on co-operation and friendships.  We have even broken windows of cars and apartments in our time; I dread to think if some such sulky cat had got us detained for that.  Some people now leave their ageing parents all alone to fend for themselves, or even murder them if they stand to gain money from it.   Relationships are very important in sub continental culture so I don't know where such rashness is going to take us to.  And it's not just me, many people from my age group or slightly older share these apprehensions.  There have always been thugs, murderers and thieves but if people that you could once trust and be friends with might stab you in the back, that makes life more complicated.

EDIT:  And playing cricket on a public street is not inappropriate in India.  It happens all the time and when kids play, they do make a noise.  Kids play badminton downstairs next to my apartment complex, big deal.  Again,  it would be hard for me to explain the significance of such things because 'noisy' is not considered a sin or a nuisance here.  At least it wasn't until some NGOs began to lobby for noise pollution norms and such.  Festivals are celebrated by the community with a lot of fervour here.  Just because it's on a street next to somebody's house doesn't make the street that somebody's property.  There are not enough public parks and kids have to play on the street.

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 06:36
I think you're getting a bit hysterical. Every generation predicts the downfall of civilization with the next, mostly out of resentment of the fact that they'll be dying.

I note also that you moan that no one obeys the law anymore in the same breath as saying that the law is enforced too harshly these days.

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 07:52
I think you're confusing "the wild west" with Clint Eastwood movies.

But I agree on most points. Civilization is at a tipping point. We live in the information OVERLOAD age. There is now documented computer evidence of some people's bowel movements, and if you respond to this evidence, companies are going to use what you say and what you said it about to sell things to you. Things are not completely ok. The world's moral compass is NOT going haywire though. Remember, it's no longer legal to kill black people or rape women. So just saying the world is getting worse in every aspect is silly. On the other hand, everything is getting worse... but it's not... but it is. Damn the 21st century is confusing.

A really good speech is in the first season of Weeds by Shane Botwin. Sure, it's a fictional TV show, but I related to it a LOT when it came out.

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 08:21

I think you're getting a bit hysterical. Every generation predicts the downfall of civilization with the next, mostly out of resentment of the fact that they'll be dying.

I note also that you moan that no one obeys the law anymore in the same breath as saying that the law is enforced too harshly these days.

There is no law that says in any case that playing cricket in the compound of a building is an offence.  It was a poor step by the police, they don't have to act on any and every complaint made to them and usually they don't act on more legitimate complaints so this is not about enforcing laws harshly or leniently and not a contradiction. 

I cannot predict the future but I do believe that the direction in which things are going is wrong.  Now where that will lead to is anyone's guess, I will hope that things work out.  But again, that would need some remedial action from somewhere and above all, we will need to see some strong leadership eventually. 

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 08:28

IThe world's moral compass is NOT going haywire though.

It might, though, if we continue along the current direction.  A morally bankrupt leadership cannot set a good example for anyone.  For the first time in years, I am hearing leading Indian industrialists literally urging the govt to act in the best interests of the nation and not worry about lobbies and vested interests.  LOL  It's very funny because for years, they tried to manipulate policy from the backdoor but they are now urging politicians to show some spine.

So just saying the world is getting worse in every aspect is silly.

Indeed, it's not.  What concerns me chiefly is the inertia at the top.  People are shying away from tough decisions on several fronts and it is actually the sheer pace of economic developments that has kept the world going through these last few years, more than anything.  There is a lot of activity to keep us engaged but leaders are not willing to bite the bullet on anything.

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 16:07
Well atheism is on the rise and atheism has been pretty firmly linked to more moral behaviour, so there's that to look forward to.

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 16:13

Approve

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 16:51
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Approve

You two can have fun in your world in which there are nearly no highly-qualified, highly-regulated doctors, educators, architects, attorneys, plumbers, pharmacists, electricians, restauranteurs, police...

Pay me according to my needs instead of my expertise and effort, and I'll gladly flip burgers for an hour a day.  Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 17:43
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Approve

You two can have fun in your world in which there are nearly no highly-qualified, highly-regulated doctors, educators, architects, attorneys, plumbers, pharmacists, electricians, restauranteurs, police...

Pay me according to my needs instead of my expertise and effort, and I'll gladly flip burgers for an hour a day.  Big smile
That argument isn't as convincing as it first appears for there are people who work because they enjoy it, especially the highly-qualified and the highly-regulated, I would go as far as to say I wouldn't feel happy about employing a doctor, educator (why aren't retired teachers called taughters?), architect, attorney, plumber, pharmacist, electrician, restaurateur or policeman who was only doing it for the commensurate salary. Not withstanding I would develop a sizable "need" to endure flipping burgers for an hour a day.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 17:55

Approve

That argument isn't as convincing as it first appears for there are people who work because they enjoy it, especially the highly-qualified and the highly-regulated, I would go as far as to say I wouldn't feel happy about employing a doctor, educator (why aren't retired teachers called taughters?), architect, attorney, plumber, pharmacist, electrician, restaurateur or policeman who was only doing it for the commensurate salary. Not withstanding I would develop a sizable "need" to endure flipping burgers for an hour a day.

There are such people, but that is why I said "nearly no" as opposed to "no."  How many would do what their jobs require and do them for a straw hut, some water, rations of bean curd, and no Ryan Seacrest to watch in the evening?  Unhappy

I love teaching, and I take home (for a family of four, soon to be five) about exactly what we need each month to maintain our standard of living (and we have no house in the country; we have no motorcar).  In other words, if I could make what I make as a teacher 8 hours a day or as a flipper of burgers 1 hour a day, I'd very quickly choose the burgers (I enjoying being in a kitchen too).

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 18:18

There are such people, but that is why I said "nearly no" as opposed to "no."  How many would do what their jobs require and do them for a straw hut, some water, rations of bean curd, and no Ryan Seacrest to watch in the evening?  Unhappy

I love teaching, and I take home (for a family of four, soon to be five) about exactly what we need each month to maintain our standard of living (and we have no house in the country; we have no motorcar).  In other words, if I could make what I make as a teacher 8 hours a day or as a flipper of burgers 1 hour a day, I'd very quickly choose the burgers (I enjoying being in a kitchen too).
If everyone had a straw hut, some water, rations of bean curd, and no Ryan Seacrest to watch in the evening then we wouldn't know any different - the reward for being a doctor, teachers, architect, attorney, plumber, pharmacist, electrician, restaurateur or policeman would no longer be monetary - it would be someother form of status or recognition of accomplishment, but there would still be highly-qualified "professional" people.

Maybe you would take the burger job I wouldn't, even though I also enjoy being in a kitchen - I (and I suspect you) would soon want the restaurateur job because it is more interesting, more challenging and more satisfying (regardless of how much it paid).

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 18:22
@epignosis

There would be a limit to how many burger flipping jobs would be available if it was that popular. There would still be a required Division of Labor in the economy. At some point the "easy jobs" would no longer be available, or there would be a bottleneck, assuming everyone was like you and desired to do them (which we should not assume). They would be forced to go down different career paths. It would be a matter of individual taste what career path one would go down, but you would be compelled by the division of labor to end up at different careers. The division of labor predates capitalism by millenia, as does many professions, such as doctor and teacher.

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 18:27

If everyone had a straw hut, some water, rations of bean curd, and no Ryan Seacrest to watch in the evening then we wouldn't know any different - the reward for being a doctor, teachers, architect, attorney, plumber, pharmacist, electrician, restaurateur or policeman would no longer be monetary - it would be someother form of status or recognition of accomplishment, but there would still be highly-qualified "professional" people.

Maybe you would take the burger job I wouldn't, even though I also enjoy being in a kitchen - I (and I suspect you) would soon want the restaurateur job because it is more interesting, more challenging and more satisfying (regardless of how much it paid).

But we've eaten the fruit, met Prometheus, taken the red pill, wandered out of Plato's cave and followed the white rabbit, and now nearly no one would go through 8+ years of expensive school, have to maintain malpractice insurance, have to hire a staff to handle insurance claims and scheduling, and deal with illness every day for (literally?) peanuts and a pat on the back.  There may be a few highly-qualified people left, but I doubt many of those would be willing to be highly-regulated.

As for running a restaurant, I've thought about it, but decided against it because I enjoy my evenings at home.

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2012 at 18:34

@epignosis

There would be a limit to how many burger flipping jobs would be available if it was that popular. There would still be a required Division of Labor in the economy. At some point the "easy jobs" would no longer be available, or there would be a bottleneck, assuming everyone was like you and desired to do them (which we should not assume). They would be forced to go down different career paths. It would be a matter of individual taste what career path one would go down, but you would be compelled by the division of labor to end up at different careers. The division of labor predates capitalism by millenia, as does many professions, such as doctor and teacher.

Lots of things predate things.  Doesn't mean they don't suck.  Capitalism thrived because we no longer needed the collectivist mentality on a tribal/national scale (though many of us act like we do).  Let a bureaucracy choose careers for us: I might like to be a surgeon, but my hands shake.  You want me taking that tumor out of you?  Big smile

Suppose that I am awful at every task I am given.  No medical reason- I am just that incompetent.  Can I still have what I need?

-------------

Date Posted: May 02 2012 at 12:57

@epignosis

Lots of things predate things.  Doesn't mean they don't suck.  Capitalism thrived because we no longer needed the collectivist mentality on a tribal/national scale (though many of us act like we do).  Let a bureaucracy choose careers for us: I might like to be a surgeon, but my hands shake.  You want me taking that tumor out of you?  Big smile

Suppose that I am awful at every task I am given.  No medical reason- I am just that incompetent.  Can I still have what I need?

Why do assume people would be appointed? You study a career and are awarded a degree / certification based on performance. If you fail, you can go to another job. It is the same in all societies.

Even the most heavily bureaucratized countries in the 20th century like the Soviet Union produced many talented scientists and doctors. Their system of merit-based education and career training was no different from anywhere else, i.e. it was based on aptitude. Assuming even the most egregious bureaucracy either would want to or even could (imagine the scope of such a bureaucracy!) take over from the basic mechanisms of education, exams, training and certification and replace them with arbitrary appointments, is very odd and unrealistic.

The division of labor and career proliferation by aptitude would be unchanged by remuneration at the level of comprehensive need.

Date Posted: May 02 2012 at 13:07
Also hate to be that guy...but what is "need"?

I personally don't have much need, and tend to look a tad shamefully on those that need a lot...but that is them.
Who is to decide? Should it be me? Can I decide how much you need, Roy?

I understand being envious of someone's wealth, and demanding they "pay their fair share"  and I still agree with that somewhat.
But even in my most liberal days...I would never support this society according to needs.
Because by that logic everyone would live on $30,000 (that's a family BTW) since you can literally live on just that much.
If you ever want to go higher, I'd ask "well why is that a need?" Of course in reality this would never happen anyway, unless there was a complete and total redistributive society and in that case where would all the money not going to needs go?

The government?
This is all a bit silly I know, but taking your logic to the end...it's just well, illogical.

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: May 02 2012 at 13:27
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I have no idea who he is.
Whoever he is he sounds like some kind of jerk that ought to have a brain transplant..

-------------

Date Posted: May 02 2012 at 13:27
The largest shift in thinking I've ever had  is:

Instead of seeking to grab from the wealthy...we should just benefit everyone.

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: May 02 2012 at 13:33
        Where's this man when you need him?

-------------

Date Posted: May 02 2012 at 18:52
We should just cap income at $1 million and spread that wealth around, straight up Huey Long style.
Except it all goes to me first.

I will then absolutely distribute it evenly, you have my word :D

Date Posted: May 02 2012 at 19:09
Capping "income" makes no real sense.  There are different kinds of income- some mean working a job and spending money, thereby maintaining jobs, and some mean investing in others' dreams and investments, thereby creating jobs.  I like how money votes.  Approve

But you mean I can start a business that takes $10 million in loans and investments but can only ever get back $1 million a year in income?  To hell with that (and anyone my business could potentially employ).

There will always be poor people- no governmental model can ever change that permanently.

-------------

Posted By: Alitare
Date Posted: May 02 2012 at 19:15
Don't give people more and expect them to be happy. Give them less and brainwash them to be happy. That works best. 

Date Posted: May 02 2012 at 19:18
I never can tell with you Rob but I hope, especially given my recent thoughts, you realize my sarcasm...Confused

Of course it makes no sense. That was the point, none of this makes sense.
This "income should reflect needs" business, and the Ryan Seacrest making $15 million thing
It all is lunacy

One of the many reasons it's lunacy is because what people need to accept is: like it or not you won't get the super wealthy to pay their "fair share" whatever you deem it to be. Seriously people, since the days of Monarchs it's never happened.
It's partly what facilitated my shift in beliefs.

I also question what is "wealthy"
People tend to throw this around in regards to the Romneys and Buffets of the world...the CEOs and Wall Street Bankers (the latter IMO are the worst because they shuffle money around making tons for them and investors but don't really contribute to society)
Anywho, that's a small % of the population. This $250K thing is kind of bullsh*t to me. Hell even 100K up...

Those people earned every cent through hard work and I do think it's wrong to burden that group with more taxes.
So people need to define wealthy. If you mean millionaires well OK but "upper middle" no...

Date Posted: May 02 2012 at 19:22
The whole Ryan Seacrest thing is this: Someone offered him money to do task(s).  He does those tasks and gets the money.

If someone offered you $15 million to cut the grass of their one acre property (and you got that agreement in writing), I doubt any of you fools would say, "Well, my belief is I should only get what I need, so I'll pass."

-------------

Date Posted: May 02 2012 at 19:24
Yes, that's what I said earlier more or lessLOL
The lunacy I meant is about all the opposition to it, and this "needs" business.

Hate to break it to people, (of which I used to be one) but wasn't a needs based society tried and it failed massively?
I mean sure, it wasn't "by the book" but that would've been even worse.
It's just not human nature anyway. We want things, and more.

Date Posted: May 02 2012 at 19:31
Epig: I honestly believe I would turn $15 million down. I would be ecstatic to to earn one or half a million a year. I would feel extremely uncomfortable with more, especially for hosting a TV show.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk