Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=86960
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 10:31
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mikael Akerfeldt is a huge ABBA fan
Posted By: rushfan4
Subject: Mikael Akerfeldt is a huge ABBA fan
Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 08:27
No that isn't an insult like your mama wears combat boots, although growing up I think that might have been one that we threw around.  Anyhow, a recent SPIN article talks about this and more.  http://www.spin.com/articles/opeths-mikael-akerfeldt-huge-abba-fan?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=051712" rel="nofollow - http://www.spin.com/articles/opeths-mikael-akerfeldt-huge-abba-fan?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=051712

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 08:37
Everyone likes Abba a bit.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 09:02
I've never made it past Dancing Queen and whatever songs they played during the Mama Mia commercials.  Can't say that I know anything else from them or had any desire to explore them any further.  Rumor has it that they actually made an album that could be argued is prog but I've not made any effort to hear it. 

-------------

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 09:30
I've never listened to ABBA.

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 09:41
ABBA wasn't bad at all, really.  Pure pop to be sure, but not just fluff.

Like Opeth, they're Swedish, so perhaps there's some natural affinity there.  Having a soft spot for the local heroes.

Of course, there's a big difference between "having a soft spot" and being a "huge fan".  But I'm not too surprised.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Junges
Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 09:53
Don't know anything from ABBA. But even if he was a Justin Bieber fan I wouldn't give a sh*t.

-------------

Posted By: progresssaurus
Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 10:12
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

some parts of this ... are not so bad :-)

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 11:42
'The Visitors' is something of symphonic art-pop.

And Frida's 'something's goin' on' was produced by Phil Collisn, who also plays drums on all tracks.

And on an ending note, I will admit that I never listened to a complete Opeth album, and probably will never.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 12:02
And the point of this thread is...?

By the way, lucas, don't forget Mike Oldfield had covered ABBA. This must mean something.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 12:05
I like a bit of Abba. Classy and timeless pop music, which is not a bad thing at all.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 14:15
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

By the way, lucas, don't forget Mike Oldfield had covered ABBA. This must mean something.
ABBA also had a huge influence on A.C.T.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 15:04
ABBA were brilliant. 

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 19:01
No one is perfect. Wink

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: CCVP
Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 19:02
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

quoted for truth.

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I like a bit of Abba. Classy and timeless pop music, which is not a bad thing at all.

I don't know about classy nor timeless (specially timeless), but they are definitely not bad at all.

Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

quoted for truth².

-------------

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 19:07
Cool. Hey, I blast Dancing Queen whenever it comes on the radio. Who, doesn't? Headbanger 

-------------

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: May 19 2012 at 05:24

my wife [who doesn't like prog ]  loves   A.C.T. cos sounds like prog version of abba 

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: May 19 2012 at 10:48
Being that he has been deeply into metal at some point, he is probably also a fan of bands like Slayer and Dismember and ABBA were not that monotonous, at any rate.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: June 07 2012 at 02:25
he also had a childhood crush on Carola, and mentioned that to Mike Portnoy in a interview where Mike only gave a blank stare Stern Smile (who!)

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: June 07 2012 at 03:00
Originally posted by martinprog77 martinprog77 wrote:

my wife [who doesn't like prog ]  loves   A.C.T. cos sounds like prog version of abba 

Interesting.  I like ABBA considerably, and it along with the Carpenters are my wife's favourite bands, but I didn't like A.C.T.  Doubt she would either since she usually doesn't like proggy music period (she appreciates brevity in music and doesn't care for pomp).

Nor does she like ABBA that sounds like this:

Posted By: MyopicVoid
Date Posted: June 14 2012 at 19:18
This might be slightly off topic but since this thread is partially about Åkerfeldt I will give it a try.

What is the band's name on his shirt? I guess it's a band, could perhaps also be movie. I have no idea myself so any response to this would be great!

(I don't know how to post pictures but I hope this link will do for now.)

http://media.classicrockmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/future_opeth.jpg" rel="nofollow - http://media.classicrockmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/future_opeth.jpg

Posted By: FunkyM
Date Posted: June 14 2012 at 19:26
My first reaction was, "Who isn't?" LOL

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: June 14 2012 at 20:22
My first reaction was, "Who cares?" LOL

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: AlexDOM
Date Posted: June 14 2012 at 20:32
I'm a huge Akerfeldt fan. His rants between songs are so funny on the live concert dvds and I'm sure at any live gig. 

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 15 2012 at 01:11
at least he won't be for villified for admitting he likes prog and guff like ELPTongue

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: June 15 2012 at 07:48
I loved ABBA as a kid.

There are still some songs, I'll happily listen to: SOS, Mama Mia, Take a chance on me, Dancing Queen, Knowing me knowing you..

Those guys could 'compose' very good pop music. They knew how to write very strong melodies, with well placed key changes, and those girls used to harmonise very well indeed. There's no shame in admitting some time for ABBA..

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: June 15 2012 at 08:07
Now Dancing Queen is stuck in my head LOL

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: June 15 2012 at 13:38
ABBA was absolutely brilliant!
They got a lot of flack in their heydays but I think time has proven what a quality act they were.
The arrangements, production, the lovely and varied melodies and, as someone has already mentioned, the fantastic harmony singing. They also had great guitar playing from Janne Schaffer and Lasse Wellander.
It's no wonder that they inspired the younger generation of Swedish musicians such as Åkerfeldt. I can also hear a bit of ABBA in Pain of Salvation's music.

As a side note;  Steve Howe is an ABBA fan. Yep!

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: June 15 2012 at 14:30
if just Åkerfeld can say he is also influenced by Vresviijk then i would be pleased, (i like Abba though)

but i would be suprised if Cornelis or Taube have ment anything for Opeths music

-------------

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: June 15 2012 at 18:35
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

if just Åkerfeld can say he is also influenced by Vresviijk then i would be pleased, (i like Abba though)

but i would be suprised if Cornelis or Taube have ment anything for Opeths music

Vreeswijk was influenced by Taube, who in his turn got his inspiration from Bellman.
I think Heritage reveals traces of all three of them, mixed with traditional Swedish folk and the music from jazz pianist Jan Johansson, to whom I think it's a hommage.  I don't hear any ABBA though. LOL

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk