Print Page | Close Window

Do you think the Police should be on Progarchives

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Suggest New Bands and Artists
Forum Description: Suggest, create polls, and classify new bands you would like included on Prog Archives
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=87983
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 14:42
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Do you think the Police should be on Progarchives
Posted By: geneyesontle
Subject: Do you think the Police should be on Progarchives
Date Posted: June 29 2012 at 20:11
I think they should be on progarchives because of the soundscapes on their music, their musicianship that is compared to prog musicians in my opinion and their various influences. They also played with prog musicians. I think they should be labeled as Prog-Related.

-------------
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle

Replies:
Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: June 29 2012 at 20:15
I guess it's not like Prog Related doesn't have any less proggy artists

-------------
https://aprilmaymarch.bandcamp.com/track/the-badger" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: June 29 2012 at 20:22
Sort of.  For Synchronicity.  As you go back further chronologically in their discography you move further away from prog.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: June 29 2012 at 20:31
Prog Related is not for 'proggy artists',  it's for those that were/are related or directly connected with, contributed to, or fundamentally influenced by the Prog Movement.   None of the Police's album reflect this; the fact that they made original and unique rock music that had elements of other styles doesn't make them ProgRelated because that is the basis of much successful Pop music;  e.g. Graceland, Purple Rain, and of course Sting's first two albums (which were arguably more progressive than anything the Police ever did).   Do you think Police fan's would've been happy with an album that was truly ProgRelated?   I don't.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: June 29 2012 at 20:32
Find it hard to decide.  Synchronicity and Ghosts of a Machine...maybe even parts of Zeynatta have something to do with prog.  And the musicians DID have some prog pedigree in their individual capacities.  Going with a yes because I am in favour of inclusion rather than exclusion.  I don't think Police is a ludicrous choice, though not a watertight one.

Date Posted: June 29 2012 at 21:06
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Prog Related is not for 'proggy artists',  it's for those that were/are related or directly connected with, contributed to, or fundamentally influenced by the Prog Movement.   None of the Police's album reflect this; the fact that they made original and unique rock music that had elements of other styles doesn't make them ProgRelated because that is the basis of much successful Pop music;  e.g. Graceland, Purple Rain, and of course Sting's first two albums (which were arguably more progressive than anything the Police ever did).   Do you think Police fan's would've been happy with an album that was truly ProgRelated?   I don't.

Oh yes, I will also do a poll about Sting but let's talk about the Police. Do you think that Asia is prog. Yes this band is composed of Prog musicians but do they really play prog music ? No but they have something to do in prog. And that's why they are here.
But the Police has something to do with prog because Stewart Copeland played with Curved Air and the three members of this Reggae/Punk/Ska/etc. band also formed a supergroup with the ex Gong bassist singer Mike Howlett. And also, many songs of these guys can be compared to progressive, not for their length, but for their complexity.

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: June 29 2012 at 22:02
Oh come on now. I love The Police as much as anyone, but they were punk/pop/new wave through and through. You'd have a better time making the argument for Sting's solo career, or any of theirs for that matter.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: June 29 2012 at 22:25

But didn't The Police arise out of the ashes of Strontium 90 (which included all three members of the Police and Mike Howlett from Gong)?  There is a rather tenuous relationship to prog there.  Although, I've never thought of the Police, one of my favorite non-prog bands btw, as particularly proggy.  Maybe Synchronicity II had some hints of progginess, but that was about it. 

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: June 29 2012 at 22:31
Two opportunistic band wagon jumping musicians in their late 20's and one the wrong side of 30 'on the make' - Reggatta de Blanc (honky reggae sums it up best) Even by the standards of a soulless music industry there was never a more disingenuously calculating and engineered group than the Police. (although perhaps Asia would have given them a good run for their filthy lucre) The Police did write some truly brilliant pop singles and Synchronicity is from a Prog perspective, perhaps their most interesting album. The Curved Air, Soft Machine, Fripp and Youth Jazz Orchestra lineage only serves to cloud people's judgement. I have even read comments that they heavily influenced 80's Rush (during a period when the latter band were widely acknowledged to have abandoned Prog- hardly underlines their credentials now does it?)

A resounding NO for any category we have on PA

-------------

Date Posted: June 29 2012 at 22:35
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

But didn't The Police arise out of the ashes of Strontium 90 (which included all three members of the Police and Mike Howlett from Gong)?  There is a rather tenuous relationship to prog there.  Although, I've never thought of the Police, one of my favorite non-prog bands btw, as particularly proggy.  Maybe Synchronicity II had some hints of progginess, but that was about it.
Perhaps, but the problem with that logic is that many musicians did or would play together that were from all number of backgrounds, or who would take all number of new directions.   It's one of the things that was so cool about that time, it was strange if an artist was not progressing or experimenting in some way.   The connections that could be drawn between different musicians are almost infinite, and is not the crucial factor in determining ProgRelated.

Date Posted: June 29 2012 at 22:39

Perhaps, but the problem with that logic is that many musicians did or would play together that were from all number of backgrounds, or who would take all number of new directions.   It's one of the things that was so cool about that time, it was strange if an artist was not progressing or experimenting in some way.   The connections that could be drawn between different musicians are almost infinite, and is not the crucial factor in determining ProgRelated.

I'm a no on this too.  I don't think the Police should be here.  Just pointing out that they do have some "relation" to prog.  In fact, wasn't Stewart Copeland married to Sonja Christina or at least living with her?  Can't get much more "related" to prog than that.  Still, I don't really believe they are prog-related.  I've never equated their sound with any level of progginess, except for the aforementioned Synchronicity II which did have a bit of progginess to it.  Not enough for them to be here though. 

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: June 29 2012 at 22:51
Originally posted by geneyesontle geneyesontle wrote:

I think they should be on progarchives because of the soundscapes on their music, their musicianship that is compared to prog musicians in my opinion and their various influences. They also played with prog musicians. I think they should be labeled as Prog-Related.

The musicianship "per se" is not a determinant factor for an inclusion, anybody can mention at least 100 Pop, Rock or Jazz musicians with no less musicianship than the average Prog artist, but that's not enough, they have to make Prog music to be considered prog or be directly related with Prog to be added to Prog Related.

The Police is not a Prog or Prog Related band, they emerged in the Post Punk-New Wave scenario and that defined they're career.

And if we had to add musicians who played with Prog Artists, we would have to add at least 10,000 more bands or artists, including Randy Jackson (Yes, the guy of American Idol), because he was bassist in Journey and with Jean-Luc Ponty for several albums.

Not every good band or artist is Prog, that has to be understood IMO.

Originally posted by SolarLuna96 SolarLuna96 wrote:

I guess it's not like Prog Related doesn't have any less proggy artists

Probably, but as I always say, one mistake doesn't justify making another one, if somebody PERSONALLY CONSIDERS that an artist shouldn't be here, this is not an excuse to add another non Prog artist. 

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: June 29 2012 at 22:51

In fact, wasn't Stewart Copeland married to Sonja Christina or at least living with her?  Can't get much more "related" to prog than that.
LOL

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 06:29
A resounding no. They emerged out of the UK New Wave scene, and played a sort of commercial white reggae/punk hybrid. They did not play anything remotely related to prog.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 06:44
A couple of slightly proggy songs does not make them prog.

Synchronicity is a fine album anyway.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 07:23
The two "Synchronicity" songs are prog rock, but most of their material is not.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 08:16
Also Mother. LOL  Very Crimsonic.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 08:19
my favourite song is Wrapped Around YOur Finger which is also slightly art rocky

-------------

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 08:27
Start a new Sub-genre 'Ever so Slightly Prog Related on one or Two Songs and Have worked with other Artists Listed Here' Sub-Genre.?

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 08:28
Don't tell anyone but Andy Summers snuck in with Robert Fripp.  And of course Stewart Copeland with Curved Air. I think Sting has successfully been kept off this site. LOL

-------------

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 08:30
No cops here, please. Wink

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 08:34
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Don't tell anyone but Andy Summers snuck in with Robert Fripp.  And of course Stewart Copeland with Curved Air. I think Sting has successfully been kept off this site. LOL

We can't let Sting in as well as everyone knows they don't get on together any more.  It would only end badlyOuch

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 08:43

Also Mother. LOL  Very Crimsonic.

Pinch

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:04
I noticed that in the last few months the suggestions here seem to have been generally quite well founded or the more ridiculous suggestions may have been pounced on immediately by the admins.

How on earth did this one sneak through?

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:11
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

I noticed that in the last few months the suggestions here seem to have been generally quite well founded or the more ridiculous suggestions may have been pounced on immediately by the admins.

Well, for the reasons Slarti states above and for Strontium 90 with Mike Howlett  there is an argument to be made

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:16
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

We can't let Sting in as well as everyone knows they don't get on together any more.  It would only end badlyOuch

Good point.

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:18

Well, for the reasons Slarti states above and for Strontium 90 with Mike Howlett  there is an argument to be made

Your relatives were lineage to the throne but you were a commoner, what's your argument?

-------------

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:18
Thumbs Down

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:23
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Your relatives were lineage to the throne but you were a commoner, what's your argument?

I don't really have an argument as I don't think they should be here.  I was just saying it might not be a comletely ridiculous suggestion for some connections.  (We are talking about Prog Related not symphonic Prog).

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:30

I don't really have an argument as I don't think they should be here.  I was just saying it might not be a comletely ridiculous suggestion for some connections.  (We are talking about Prog Related not symphonic Prog).

I'd be struggling to justify this as the OP has rather cunningly proffered Asia as a rebuttal, but I would hazard that the latter did not deliberately set out to sound like a 80's white reggae/pop hybrid i.e.Asia could be deemed premeditated commercial Prog like 80's Yes and Genesis perchance?

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:39

I'd be struggling to justify this as the OP has rather cunningly proffered Asia as a rebuttal, but I would hazard that the latter did not deliberately set out to sound like a 80's white reggae/pop hybrid i.e.Asia could be deemed premeditated commercial Prog like 80's Yes and Genesis perchance?

I missed that Asia bit.  Anyway, Mr Lemming you been on the sauce?  You seem a little argumentative.  Or still trying to get over the first of the 5:0 whitewash that Australia have started?

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:45
Syncronisity is MUCH more then rehashed white reagge and pop, it got jazz, it got elements of world music, punk, new wave, post punk, not very far of what a certain guy like Peter Gabriel created at exactly around the same time,
some complex layers are snuggeling its way througout the album, it does not make the Police a prog rock band, but the art rock aestethics is inside the body fo the band, it is like most band composing of more then just two sounds pop, or reagge but ceveral types (i could come up with 6 or 7 variations of popular music by just spinning that lone album), bands are more complex even if they are predomenantly pop music based, and some pop music is suprisingly intricate, and intricacy is related to complexity, and complexity is not only instrumentation, but compotition, arangements, production, songstructure, singing, lyrics, or more then those elements combined, complexity in using a wide array of tools to flash out a musical piece is the more comlex part of music making, which reflects most of the prog bands that we love and sherish, but also some of that also defines the pop band the Police, who in almoust all criterias reach the same amount of complexitys as bands like Genesis does, only different parameters are used, but the elements of comlexity is it, it is just combined diferently with different mindsetts and times, ......

-------------

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:52
A few proggy tracks here and there, but not prog-related IMO. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: ClemofNazareth
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:56

Copeland is here as a http://https://www.google.com/url?q=www.progarchives.com/artist.asp%3Fid%3D6338&sa=U&ei=EhPvT6C8OOfj0QGRxqT6Ag&ved=0CAUQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFvc63IGngs4xpFvYzdeoztf0xpng" rel="nofollow - solo artist and as a member of http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1838" rel="nofollow - Oysterhead as well, but that of should be about as close to adding the Police as we should get IMHO.

-------------
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus

Posted By: ClemofNazareth
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 10:00

But the Police has something to do with prog because Stewart Copeland played with Curved Air and the three members of this Reggae/Punk/Ska/etc. band also formed a supergroup with the ex Gong bassist singer Mike Howlett. 

Yeah, that argument gets shredded every time.  Terry Bozzio appeared with Zappa, Group 87, David Torn, UK, Jeff Beck and many others, but I don't think anyone would ever suggest Missing Persons ought to be considered 'prog-related'.

-------------
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 10:06
If you're motivated, look up the previous discussions of Strontium 90. If Sr90 was rejected, I can't imagine why the Police would fare any better.

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 10:59

I don't know about other Asia albums but the first one is just AOR.  The only reason it might sound prog is the tones of Steve Howe, Carl Palmer and Wetton can be heard.  And that's where any association with prog ends.

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 11:04
^ i can hear prog tones from Downs also, his piano solo part on the next last track on debute is really good

-------------

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 11:28
Should Police be on PA LOL......Stern Smile? NOOOOOOOOO + multiple O's (*highlight* and *underline*).

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 11:37
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Copeland is here as a http://https://www.google.com/url?q=www.progarchives.com/artist.asp%3Fid%3D6338&sa=U&ei=EhPvT6C8OOfj0QGRxqT6Ag&ved=0CAUQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFvc63IGngs4xpFvYzdeoztf0xpng" rel="nofollow - solo artist and as a member of http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1838" rel="nofollow - Oysterhead as well, but that of should be about as close to adding the Police as we should get IMHO.

Oh yeah, forgot about that, shame on me as I have that one.Embarrassed

If I haven't said it before, I have a lot of solo Summers and I think he does belong in JRF.

Wait a second, Copeland snuck in as a solo?   Totally missed that.

-------------

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:05
My vote is NO even if I like The Police, but given that Iron Maiden are in PA I don't know how to construct my argument...

Posted By: tarkus1980
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:18
I like The Police, but noooooooooooooooo.

-------------
"History of Rock Written by the Losers."

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:19
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

The musicianship "per se" is not a determinant factor for an inclusion, anybody can mention at least 100 Pop, Rock or Jazz musicians with no less musicianship than the average Prog artist, but that's not enough, they have to make Prog music to be considered prog or be directly related with Prog to be added to Prog Related.

The Police is not a Prog or Prog Related band, they emerged in the Post Punk-New Wave scenario and that defined they're career.

And if we had to add musicians who played with Prog Artists, we would have to add at least 10,000 more bands or artists, including Randy Jackson (Yes, the guy of American Idol), because he was bassist in Journey and with Jean-Luc Ponty for several albums.

Not every good band or artist is Prog, that has to be understood IMO.

Randy Jackson dosen't have any prog elements. But the Police has some. 
And okay I will do a poll about Sting later.
I love his music

-------------

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:30
LET ME SEND MY S-O-S TO THE WORLD

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:44
Syncronicity II is one of the best song ever written...

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:46
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

I don't talk about this De Do Do Do De Da Da Da cr*p. Even if it grooves. I talk about these tracks:

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:48
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I would say only the first one sounds vaguely prog, and besides that only "Behind My Camel" really fits the bill.

I think people get hung up on Copland's insanely creative drumming and are tricked into thinking the music is more complex than it really is.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:54
not only the complex drumming, but also the very intricate guitar layers and atmospheres, and the layerd bass, which ,melts together like a warm hug, the bands combined force is like a tripod of unique aproacj of each individual musician, and they sound better then most tree piece bands i know of, they sound more mature and refined then Rush, more intellegent IMO,

does not make them more prog, but the band is MUCH more then intricate drumming by Copeland

this song shows the greates strenght of the trio of the Police, the best song by the Police, imo and quite art rocky

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 13:11
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I would say only the first one sounds vaguely prog, and besides that only "Behind My Camel" really fits the bill.

I think people get hung up on Copland's insanely creative drumming and are tricked into thinking the music is more complex than it really is.

King of Pain can also be called progressive.

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 13:12
And Mother is in 7/4.

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 13:15
I adore the Police, but yeah I voted NO. 
Just because one likes a band, doesn't necessarily mean that it should be included on PA. 
I like The Wu-Tang Clan... 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 13:31

And Mother is in 7/4.

I don't see what that has to do with itConfused

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 13:32
Maybe they should have a seperate web site 'Police Archives'

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Cthulhu42
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 10:50
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I still think it's hilarious that "Behind My Camel" somehow beat "YYZ" for Best Rock Instrumental.

Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 11:29
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

And Mother is in 7/4.

What's love got to do got to do got to do with it? Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 11:41

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

And Mother is in 7/4.

What's love got to do got to do got to do with it? Tongue

Tina Turner for Prog Related.  Smile

-------------

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 12:55
The Police in PA would be abuse of force. 

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 13:56
God, no.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 14:05
Ultravox and Magazine deserve to be included before any mention of the cops!

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 14:41
Cops at the door.  No cops at the door.

-------------

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 18:48
I think Oysterhead is more prog than them

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 21:30
I love them, and think they were pretty innovative and unique, but I have a hard time choosing weather I think they belong in Prog related

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 21:36
I know all the Police's studio albums up to Synchronicity as I used to listen to the band a lot.  There is some Prog relation due to personnel, and somewhat musically, but I don't think it would be a good addition.  In the interests of serving and protecting this database, I voted no.  I arrest my case.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: The_Jester
Date Posted: July 02 2012 at 12:32
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">

Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

I don't talk about this De Do Do Do De Da Da Da cr*p. Even if it grooves. I talk about these tracks:

I'd say that the two Synchronicity songs are a little proggy but every other songs on this list are New Wave. It's not sufficiently prog related to be in ProgArchives. And even the Synchronicity songs have got a pop structure and are not really progressive rock.

-------------
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: July 04 2012 at 01:38
Great pop does not make it prog ! Or else this site would triple in size overnight! Party

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: July 04 2012 at 03:08
The Police were a great band, no doubt about that, but occasional very clever songs, such as appeared on most of their albums (Synchronicity is the usual one quoted) does not give them a place here; what next? Dire Straits because of Private Investigations/Telegraph Road/Brothers In Arms?

...and yes, I did check first to make sure Dire Straits weren't here already

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: July 04 2012 at 05:26
They shouldn't be here for taking the lyrical short cut on Don't Stand So Close To Me which should be:
"Don't
Don't stand
Don't stand so
Don't stand so close
Don't stand so close to
Don't stand so close to me"

rather than merely

"Don't stand, don't stand so
Don't stand so close to me"

And oh I forgot, Sting has also snuck into the archives on a Frank Zappa album...

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 04 2012 at 05:57

I'd say no. Not because I don't like them (I actally do), but just because they are not prog or even prog-related. Playing with prog musicians (I have an Eberhard Schoener album with a pre-Police appearance of Stuart Copeland and Andy Summers in my collection) does not make them prog musicians. If PA does not have sufficient New Wave in its database (Talking Heads), then I'd rather suggest The Stranglers.

-------------

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: July 04 2012 at 06:13

I forgot, Sting has also snuck into the archives on a Frank Zappa album...

"Mr Sting, ladies & gentlemen, Mr Sting"

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: The Mystical
Date Posted: September 23 2013 at 21:55
Listening to Synchronicity right now, I can honestly say that it is more progressive than most prog albums.

-------------
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: September 23 2013 at 22:19
^ would not be hard with all the new marginal bands filling up the ranks

Date Posted: September 23 2013 at 22:28
No.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: September 24 2013 at 00:23

They shouldn't be here for taking the lyrical short cut on Don't Stand So Close To Me which should be:"Don'tDon't standDon't stand soDon't stand so closeDon't stand so close toDon't stand so close to me"rather than merely"Don't stand, don't stand soDon't stand so close to me"And oh I forgot, Sting has also snuck into the archives on a Frank Zappa album...

Well, De Doo Doo Doo, De Dah Dah Dah is all I want to say to you.....

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: September 24 2013 at 07:16

No.

Date Posted: September 24 2013 at 11:39
I'd put them in crossover for Synchronicity.  Love the heavy Fripp influence on Summers.  But this is one addition that will never happen, so I'm moving right along here. Big smile

-------------

Posted By: floflo79
Date Posted: September 28 2013 at 07:02
The Police prog.... Ermm We can also suggest Bob Marley or Lady Gaga

-------------

Posted By: apps79
Date Posted: September 28 2013 at 09:43
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

No.

-------------
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: September 28 2013 at 09:55
As others have stated already:

1. Great band
2. Not prog

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: September 29 2013 at 08:42
I've noticed this poll just now. And voted NO.
Nothing more to say

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: September 29 2013 at 08:54
Yeah as much a I dig The Police, I find it nigh on hilarious suggesting them for PA. Forward thinking ska rock yes, prog rock? No way in hellLOL

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 29 2013 at 09:16
.but maybe in heaven

-------------

Posted By: VOTOMS
Date Posted: October 01 2013 at 15:04
The Police? I don't think so Disapprove

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: October 01 2013 at 15:10
It's well known the Police will never be added to PA. I don't see why discussion should continue.

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk