Print Page | Close Window

Are The Flower Kings a christian band?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=87993
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 07:49
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Are The Flower Kings a christian band?
Posted By: Ancient Tree
Subject: Are The Flower Kings a christian band?
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 06:50

Source:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfNKuezjDno" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfNKuezjDno

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 06:56
If it take this influence to inspired them to make this kind of music, i don't have a problem with that, i just have to make abstraction of the content of their lyrics.

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 07:02
You know, I always loved the christian and spiritual elements in their music, even if I would be hard pressed to call them a true christian band. But you DO know the Flower Kings music is rife with endless Christian references and imagery? Do you enjoy their music?

I mean, you criticise those Youtube people as being `freaking christian idiots', so does that therefore make the FK band themselves `idiots’ for putting those elements into their music?!

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 07:11
There's a phrase...I can't seem to recall it...

How does it go now?

Don't feed the... ?

Ermm

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 07:12
Yep, someone whose views you don't agree with is capable of creating music you like (that's scary- but only for a closed mind)

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 07:14
Originally posted by Ancient Tree Ancient Tree wrote:

Freaking christian idiots Angry

Spoken from someone who doesn't know how to properly drop in a youtube clip. LOL

Show a little respect for people who don't believe the same things as you, will ya?

I am not longer a Christian, but I don't show those who are disrespect unless they try to force their version on me.

News flash, so is Neal Morse/Spock's Beard.  Kerry Livgren/Kansas...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: dtguitarfan
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 07:27
I actually read somewhere that Roine Stolt basically thinks all religions are cool, but it was an interview I read a long time ago so he could've changed his stance since then I guess.  But all the same - it's no reason to get mad.  After all, Christians listen to music from people who aren't Christian, so why is it such a bad thing for you to listen to music by a Christian?  Oh, how awful of him to write about something he cares about....

-------------
http://tinyurl.com/cy43zzh" rel="nofollow - My 2012 List

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 07:29
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Freaking christian idiots Angry

Spoken from someone who doesn't know how to properly drop in a youtube clip. LOL

Show a little respect for people who don't believe the same things as you, will ya?

I am not longer a Christian, but I don't show those who are disrespect unless they try to force their version on me.

News flash, so is Neal Morse/Spock's Beard.  Kerry Livgren/Kansas...

happy now 

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 07:30
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

How does it go now?

Don't feed the... ?

Ermm

also i assume that you are very religious so take it easy,and dont call me a troll Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 07:35

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

How does it go now?

Don't feed the... ?

Ermm

also i assume that you are very religious so take it easy,and dont call me a troll Big smile
Don't act like one and we won't. Wink

Now, what is your point here?

-------------
What?

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 07:37
hMMM... No problems either way - THey are a wonderful band

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 07:38
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

You know, I always loved the christian and spiritual elements in their music, even if I would be hard pressed to call them a true christian band. But you DO know the Flower Kings music is rife with endless Christian references and imagery? Do you enjoy their music?

I mean, you criticise those Youtube people as being `freaking christian idiots', so does that therefore make the FK band themselves `idiots’ for putting those elements into their music?!

well i actually didnt listen to flower kings that much only few songs Tongue

and about religion : i always have bad experience with religious people,in my townwe have bunch of rednecks from USA whos/their) mission is to spread their stupid believes in my town (cuz our countrie was under communist regime pha right they even dont know what communism is)They rape us (kids,older people,...) with their ideas,in schools,outside,they build benches with religious text on it,...

And im pretty sick of it,this is why i hate really hate hate religion and people who believe in supernatural imagery friends.

And i know that there are also nice people that beleave in god but their numbers arent so big

as Frank Zappa said:

Those Jesus Freaks
Well, they're friendly but
The sh*t they believe
Has got their minds all shut
An' they don't even care
When the church takes a cut
Ain't it bleak when you got so much nothin'
-- Frank Zappa, "The Meek Shall Inherit Nothin'"

-------------

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 07:41
I feel sorry for you that you should have so much hate in your heart.  Unhappy

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 07:48
I think the message the flower kings probably go with is probably really just love.

Might be Christian because they do kinda exhude love. And you know what? Good for them. I'm happy with any person making great music. Women, God, Hell, Fire, Blades, Vampires- Whatever the hell inspires someone- I say GO- Get more of it.

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 07:54

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

well i actually didnt listen to flower kings that much only few songs Tongue

and about religion : i always have bad experience with religious people,in my townwe have bunch of rednecks from USA whos/their) mission is to spread their stupid believes in my town (cuz our countrie was under communist regime pha right they even dont know what communism is)They rape us (kids,older people,...) with their ideas,in schools,outside,they build benches with religious text on it,...

And im pretty sick of it,this is why i hate really hate hate religion and people who believe in supernatural imagery friends.

And i know that there are also nice people that beleave in god but their numbers arent so big

as Frank Zappa said:

Those Jesus Freaks
Well, they're friendly but
The sh*t they believe
Has got their minds all shut
An' they don't even care
When the church takes a cut
Ain't it bleak when you got so much nothin'
-- Frank Zappa, "The Meek Shall Inherit Nothin'"

It is advisable not to tar everyone with the same brush. I am an athiest and I enjoy christian music without prejudice. I also enjoy non-christian music made by christians and non-christians alike.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 07:57

happy now 

No, I'll never be happy until I shoot someone's eye out with that bb gun. Wink

I do have disdain for the asses who profess to be Christians but don't practice it.  You can look their god right in the eye.  It is unfortunate that they are the most prominent representatives.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 08:24
Uncalled for.. losing respect here. Surely we can believe what we want to believe without fear of ridicule from the close minded.

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 08:55
I do hope you are referring to the OP Scott and not any of the posters between his last post and yours.

-------------
What?

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:48
Ummm, last I heard, wasn't Roine Stolt agnostic?

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 10:41
Anyway, it's irrelevant, "is the music any good?" is what matters.

-------------

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 10:54
Rednecks of America..............building benches the world around

Posted By: CCVP
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 11:30
Thanks for the news, slowpoke. 

-------------

Posted By: The_Jester
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:00
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> ...

-------------
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:33
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> ...

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:34
^I have always wondered about that. Quite irritating.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:36
I agree, I was also mocking the absurdity of this thread.

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:41
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^I have always wondered about that. Quite irritating.
The Jester is using (a possibly outdated) NetDefender (or BitDefender) firewall and it's inserting extraneous text.

-------------
What?

Posted By: AlexDOM
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 13:08
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

I actually read somewhere that Roine Stolt basically thinks all religions are cool, but it was an interview I read a long time ago so he could've changed his stance since then I guess.  But all the same - it's no reason to get mad.  After all, Christians listen to music from people who aren't Christian, so why is it such a bad thing for you to listen to music by a Christian?  Oh, how awful of him to write about something he cares about....

Yeah I'm a Christ follower and listen to much secular music. I love Opeth (staunch atheists) and Cynic (mysticism stuff), for their wonderful music. Mainstream CC is just very bland musically and don't care for the vocals but hey its about the lyrics and they're always solid. I'm so grateful that Neal Morse exists, because got the lyrics and yes the prog epicness. He's my favorite. But I have way more secular records, the Christian music I listen are the reachrecord rappers like Lecrae, Trip Lee, and others (love them), Christian metal, some selected mainstream CC, dc Talk, and of course Morse.

Posted By: AlexDOM
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 13:14
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

happy now 

No, I'll never be happy until I shoot someone's eye out with that bb gun. Wink

I do have disdain for the asses who profess to be Christians but don't practice it.  You can look their god right in the eye.  It is unfortunate that they are the most prominent representatives.

And it is unfortunate and I apologize for anyone who has been hurt by those claiming to be Christians or Christians who weren't following Christ in that moment and hurt someone. Being a Christian myself , I too hate hypocrisy in our body. But down to the core aren't we all (everyone) hypocrites? But anyway.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 13:17
This is beside the point a bit, but yo know how everyone says "You don't have the be Christian to enjoy The Messiah" ? Well, yeah, but have you actually ever sat through it in concert? I like music as much as anyone, and I do enjoy a bit of classical every now and then, but yeesh. I mean if it changed and had a huge variety of things going on for 3 hours, then it might be better. But it all sounds kinda the same to me. Not a bit opera fan.

I should probably not even try Wagner's Ring cycle...

I guess what I'm trying to say is Allahu Akbar God is Great.,

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 18:06
TFK being a Christian band doesn't really make a difference, really. I certainly don't enjoy much of their music, but that's mostly because I think they're cheesy (whether that is a direct side-effect of them being a Christian band, I'll probably never know for sure).

But bands like Woven Hand and 16 Horsepower are Christian and I think they're fantastic and inventive. 

I personally don't understand Christianity and I am myself athiest, but I think, for the most part, music speaks for itself regardless of the religion believed by its creators. 

I just kind of skimmed this thread, so I have no idea if what I said is even relevant at all.

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 19:07
They're an not an American band
They're an not an American band
They're not comin' to your town
They'll not help you party it down
They're an not an American band Tongue

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 19:15

"Dogs are barking Sancho, a sign that we are advancing"
The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha

Iván

-------------

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 19:17
Going straight away to burn all my TFK albums.  Thanks for that hot off the presses info.  Can't wait for your next news flash.  Hoping it will be confirmation for me that the sky is indeed blue.  Wink

It's always been pretty obvious to me that TFK are quite  a spiritual band with Christian leanings.  That doesn't bother me at all, I also like Iona who have a similar Christian/spiritual sound.  As long as it isn't preachy, I don't mind it.  It's only when the lyrics start to get preachy (e.g. some of Neal Morse's solo output) does it turn me off. 

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 19:25
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Going straight away to burn all my TFK albums.  Thanks for that hot off the presses info.  Can't wait for your next news flash.  Hoping it will be confirmation for me that the sky is indeed blue.  Wink

It's always been pretty obvious to me that TFK are quite  a spiritual band with Christian leanings.  That doesn't bother me at all, I also like Iona who have a similar Christian/spiritual sound.  As long as it isn't preachy, I don't mind it.  It's only when the lyrics start to get preachy (e.g. some of Neal Morse's solo output) does it turn me off. 

This

-------------

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 19:54
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Yep, someone whose views you don't agree with is capable of creating music you like (that's scary- but only for a closed mind)

-------------

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 20:17

ClapClapClap   *brofist*

I'm glad to see more Iona fans out there.  They almost never get talked about here, and yet they've made some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard.  

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 21:29
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

This is beside the point a bit, but yo know how everyone says "You don't have the be Christian to enjoy The Messiah" ? Well, yeah, but have you actually ever sat through it in concert? I like music as much as anyone, and I do enjoy a bit of classical every now and then, but yeesh. I mean if it changed and had a huge variety of things going on for 3 hours, then it might be better. But it all sounds kinda the same to me. Not a bit opera fan.

I should probably not even try Wagner's Ring cycle...

Messiah is not an opera. It is an Oratorio. Geek

Yes, don't try Wagner's Ring. It's sublime but if you can stomach a short oratorio like Messiah....

Anyway, on topic, now that Stonebeard mentions classical music, all I can say is: my favorite compositions by the guy in the left in my signature, my favorite musician of all time, are all heavily religious. That doesn't make them any less amazing. 

What if TFK are religious? Good for them! 

I'm an agnostic, I guess, but sometimes I feel the world needs more, not less, religious fervor. 

-------------

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 21:32
I doubt that they have a Christian "agenda," but the fact that their music has a strong theme of love and compassion and whatnot a) doesn't automatically make them Christian and b) really doesn't matter. Just listen to the music dammit.

Pretty sure any objective discussion here has ended, this is just going to end in another religion/atheism thread.

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 22:10

Lets see:
  1. You hate Communism because they raped and killed in your country, well I don't have too much sympathy for them because Shining Path did the same in my country
  2. You hate rednecks from USA because they don't know what Communism is. (???)
  3. You hate religious people (opposed to Communism essentially) because you hate people who have imaginary friends...If I'm not wrong, I hate because I hate is a logical fallacy called  circular reasoning.
  4. You hate evangelism (Well I'm not a fan of this either, but not remotely hate people who believe they are doing God's work)
The only question I have is: ¿Who or what  you don't hate?

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 23:07
I don't know if Christian band is  entirely accurate. Vaguely spiritual, maybe. Actually so many of their messages are contradictory, In one song Roine speaks out against blind belief, but in another song (on the same album) calls scientific evidence a "childish game". Not really sure if he's a hardline fundamentalist or a staunch atheist.

The only overall message I get out of their music is the spread of happiness, positivity and love, and the dismissal of things that would oppose that. Regardless of what he believes in his personal life, I can get behind that, even as a nihilist who typically listens to extreme metal and jazz.

-------------

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 23:51
The anti-science lines are the only things that really bother me about Roine's lyrics.

-------------

Posted By: Mr. Maestro
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 00:53
^ I know what you mean.  There's an awful misconception among many believers that science is inherently bad or anti-Christian.  I don't know if that's what Stolt is saying, but it's something I've seen a lot of and it really bothers me too.

-------------
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."

Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 00:58
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

I don't know if Christian band is  entirely accurate. Vaguely spiritual, maybe. Actually so many of their messages are contradictory, In one song Roine speaks out against blind belief, but in another song (on the same album) calls scientific evidence a "childish game". Not really sure if he's a hardline fundamentalist or a staunch atheist.

The only overall message I get out of their music is the spread of happiness, positivity and love, and the dismissal of things that would oppose that. Regardless of what he believes in his personal life, I can get behind that, even as a nihilist who typically listens to extreme metal and jazz.

I'm with you on that. I think Roine is more someone who is not opposed to religion or science, but is not exactly for everything they both stand for. Then again, I don't always pay attention to TFK's lyrics, as with most other bands.

-------------

Posted By: gazagod
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 01:08
I can't speak for those in other countries... but in America, the 'Christianists' have ruined the religion.. it's become a pure political ideology on the one hand and on the other it's prosperity gospel and a subculture of specific consumerism...ie christian 'lifestyle'=consumption of branded books, music, events, etc... reading through American literature and history, I get the impression it's always been a bit infected by hucksters/conmen. 

personally, i had to learn genuine Christian theology from Russian novelists LOL... Italian/Catholic history, on the other hand, does nothing but encourage cynicism-as bad as American, but much more entertaining
[quote]
'I don't know if Christian band is  entirely accurate. Vaguely spiritual, maybe. Actually so many of their messages are contradictory, In one song Roine speaks out against blind belief, but in another song (on the same album) calls scientific evidence a "childish game". Not really sure if he's a hardline fundamentalist or a staunch atheist.'

I think you've answered your own question...there aren't easy answers(or any at all) in this life... for anyone the least bit alive-whose arteries haven't been hardened by slavish habits or bitter cynicism... using 'science' as evidence against spiritual potentialities is a 'childish game' --- science can say nothing on such issues- on the other hand, its lack of findings in such realms does not implicitly support 'faith' or obedience to ossified traditions...

-------------
we only know that we do not know

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 02:34
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

TFK being a Christian band doesn't really make a difference, really. I certainly don't enjoy much of their music, but that's mostly because I think they're cheesy (whether that is a direct side-effect of them being a Christian band, I'll probably never know for sure).

Clap

Posted By: wjohnd
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 02:45

It's always been pretty obvious to me that TFK are quite  a spiritual band with Christian leanings.  That doesn't bother me at all........  As long as it isn't preachy, I don't mind it.  It's only when the lyrics start to get preachy (e.g. some of Neal Morse's solo output) does it turn me off. 

Sometimes other people articulate your thoughts on a matter better and before you ..
this is one of those.

I did watch the video though and all its left me with is a vague sadness that TFK aren't touring anywhere near my town .

-------------

Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 14:11
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

Clap

Pretty much this.  Actually, the fact that TFK may be a "Christian" band just makes me more interested in them, but I still just can't get into their music.

Also, much as I hate to say it, cheesiness and Christianity seem to go hand in hand when it comes to prog music.  After Kerry Livgren was converted in the late 70s, a lot of his solo material was so cheesy that I find it nigh-impossible to listen to.  Same thing with Neal Morse, though to a much lesser extent (I have yet to see anyone complain about Sole Scriptura being too cheesy).

-------------
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."

Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 14:16
Why is it that our society calls anything that is in a major key and isn't classical music "Cheesy"?

The only thing cheesy are these nachos.

-------------

Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 14:21
^ I didn't mean to suggest that it's cheesy just because it isn't hardcore serious-as-your-life neo-classical prog.  I honestly find a lot of upbeat pop music very enjoyable and un-cheesy.  It's just that TFK and the like sound very saccharine and substanceless to me, like progressive junk food.  Doesn't mean it's bad, necessarily - just not to my tastes.

Oh, and I want those nachos.

-------------

Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 14:22
I wasn't directing my post to you, just something Ive been meaning to mention in this thread.

Yes, I'm a little hungry now. Throw a little chili and jalapenos on those nachos, and I'm happy.

-------------

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 15:29
From everything Roine has said on various interviews and fan forums, he is a secular humanist who strives for love, peace, light, happiness, etc.  That was the idea behind the Flower Kings.....a counterpoint to all the black metal that Sweden produced in the early 90's.  He has said he agrees with the actual words of Jesus Christ in the bible, but not the bible as a whole.  He thinks all religions have positive bits, but that none are worth following.  So, no, I don't get the impression he is a Christian or that the band is.  However, I am not Roine, and these are just my recollections of things I've read that may or may not be accurate.

However, I personally notice there does seem to be an abundance of Christian themes in their music.  Just as a guess, I'd say that Roine was raised in some sort of Christian household, and that that is why he gets so many themes from Christianity and the bible.  Genesis (the band) did the same, but with perhaps more flair Wink  Anyway, just my take on the subject.  I think the music is fabulous and couldn't really care less what he really believes as long as he keeps making it.

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 16:33
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

From everything Roine has said on various interviews and fan forums, he is a secular humanist who strives for love, peace, light, happiness, etc.  That was the idea behind the Flower Kings.....a counterpoint to all the black metal that Sweden produced in the early 90's.  He has said he agrees with the actual words of Jesus Christ in the bible, but not the bible as a whole.  He thinks all religions have positive bits, but that none are worth following.  So, no, I don't get the impression he is a Christian or that the band is.  However, I am not Roine, and these are just my recollections of things I've read that may or may not be accurate.

However, I personally notice there does seem to be an abundance of Christian themes in their music.  Just as a guess, I'd say that Roine was raised in some sort of Christian household, and that that is why he gets so many themes from Christianity and the bible.  Genesis (the band) did the same, but with perhaps more flair Wink  Anyway, just my take on the subject.  I think the music is fabulous and couldn't really care less what he really believes as long as he keeps making it.
If Mr Stolte was a "Secular Humanist" I don't think that there would be as many biblical references in the lyrics. Interpretation of the FK's lyrics suggest that Stolte is very much influenced by Genesis (and that is the first book of the bible and not Mr Gabriels Public school boy band Tongue). I am not a theologian, but have read enough about the bible to realise that it's no more than a political manifesto set out in the fourth and fifth centuries A.D. And in no way should anybody in the 21st century use the ideas of bronze age nomads and mysoginists as a basis to run their lives or in fact a society. I have always found the idea of a personal god so preposterous that it wasn't even worth spending any time thinking about it.
It's fairly obvious that the model set out by evolution is currently the best we have, and until somebody finds scientific evidence to discredit him, Charles Darwin and his Origin of Species trumps the bible in every provable way.
Wink

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 16:49
Doesn't matter.

Mreh.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: July 02 2012 at 10:03
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

If Mr Stolte was a "Secular Humanist" I don't think that there would be as many biblical references in the lyrics. Interpretation of the FK's lyrics suggest that Stolte is very much influenced by Genesis (and that is the first book of the bible and not Mr Gabriels Public school boy band Tongue). I am not a theologian, but have read enough about the bible to realise that it's no more than a political manifesto set out in the fourth and fifth centuries A.D. And in no way should anybody in the 21st century use the ideas of bronze age nomads and mysoginists as a basis to run their lives or in fact a society. I have always found the idea of a personal god so preposterous that it wasn't even worth spending any time thinking about it.
It's fairly obvious that the model set out by evolution is currently the best we have, and until somebody finds scientific evidence to discredit him, Charles Darwin and his Origin of Species trumps the bible in every provable way.
Wink

Not necessarily.  I think the biblical references are just convenient and easily understood by just about anyone who would be listening (mostly Americans and Europeans).  As I said, he probably grew up in a Christian environment like many of us, and it is familiar reference material.  There are a lot of positive themes in Christianity and he draws on those as well.  Survival of the fittest doesn't lend itself to uplifting and happy themes Wink LOL

Unless he likes to hide the fact that he is really a Christian from his fans and deliberately lie about it (which, wouldn't, obviously, be very Christian of him, would it?).  He does say he is a spiritual person, so obviously he's not an atheist like yourself.  Neither am I for that matter, but that doesn't stop me from agreeing with the scientific theory of evolution, either.  He feels that science doesn't explain everything, and I agree with that, as does any rational person (of course, like yourself, I feel that is just because we haven't advanced our knowledge and technology far enough to explain it.....yet).

Date Posted: July 02 2012 at 11:55

Wink

Not necessarily.  I think the biblical references are just convenient and easily understood by just about anyone who would be listening (mostly Americans and Europeans).  As I said, he probably grew up in a Christian environment like many of us, and it is familiar reference material.  There are a lot of positive themes in Christianity and he draws on those as well.  Survival of the fittest doesn't lend itself to uplifting and happy themes Wink LOL

Unless he likes to hide the fact that he is really a Christian from his fans and deliberately lie about it (which, wouldn't, obviously, be very Christian of him, would it?).  He does say he is a spiritual person, so obviously he's not an atheist like yourself.  Neither am I for that matter, but that doesn't stop me from agreeing with the scientific theory of evolution, either.  He feels that science doesn't explain everything, and I agree with that, as does any rational person (of course, like yourself, I feel that is just because we haven't advanced our knowledge and technology far enough to explain it.....yet).

Perhaps, his choice of reference could be widened, As Anderson/Howe produced the masterpeice that is "Tales From Topographic Oceans" based on a quasi-religious http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobiography_of_a_Yogi" rel="nofollow - - Paramahansa Yogananda  maybe Stolte could produce a similarly inspired double CD based on some book that hasn't been used as yet. 2112 is simliarly based on works by Ayn Rand, of whom Peart was a big Fan. Maybe Stolte could base his epic on some Norse Mythology since he is Swedish , a CD about Trolls (not the internet variety Big smile) since they are also norse mythological creatures. Or why not a whole double set with each track having the latin name of a venemous snake.....Ophiophagus Hannah being my personal favourite as I took out a girl with that pallindromic name and she turned out to be a snake with tits !!! Hey ho.....

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2012 at 12:53

Wink

Perhaps, his choice of reference could be widened, As Anderson/Howe produced the masterpeice that is "Tales From Topographic Oceans" based on a quasi-religious http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobiography_of_a_Yogi" rel="nofollow - - Paramahansa Yogananda  maybe Stolte could produce a similarly inspired double CD based on some book that hasn't been used as yet. 2112 is simliarly based on works by Ayn Rand, of whom Peart was a big Fan. Maybe Stolte could base his epic on some Norse Mythology since he is Swedish , a CD about Trolls (not the internet variety Big smile) since they are also norse mythological creatures. Or why not a whole double set with each track having the latin name of a venemous snake.....Ophiophagus Hannah being my personal favourite as I took out a girl with that pallindromic name and she turned out to be a snake with tits !!! Hey ho.....

That all sounds good to me Big smile

I do agree that his "typical" lyrical themes are starting to seem repetitious and it would be nice to get some different stuff in there.  In Agents of Mercy there actually was some different lyrical themes, with more story telling than you ever see on FK ablums.

Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 07:26
Originally posted by gazagod gazagod wrote:

I think you've answered your own question...there aren't easy answers(or any at all) in this life... for anyone the least bit alive-whose arteries haven't been hardened by slavish habits or bitter cynicism... using 'science' as evidence against spiritual potentialities is a 'childish game' --- science can say nothing on such issues- on the other hand, its lack of findings in such realms does not implicitly support 'faith' or obedience to ossified traditions...

However science gives us the indisputable FACT of evoution......thus negating logically the need for "God the creator of man" which is the basis of all monotheistic religions......as Douglas Adams succinctly puts it,
Oolon Colluphid - "that about wraps it up for god".
Also religion suffers from Bertrand Russell's teapot example, the burden of truth and all that...science can point at evolution and provide proof beyond all reasonable doubt.....as for religion.....

As Mark Twain wrote...
There are those who scoff at the school boy, calling him frivolous and shallow. Yet it was the school boy who said, Faith is believing what you know ain't so.

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 09:35

However science gives us the indisputable FACT of evoution......thus negating logically the need for "God the creator of man" which is the basis of all monotheistic religions......as Douglas Adams succinctly puts it,
Also religion suffers from Bertrand Russell's teapot example, the burden of truth and all that...science can point at evolution and provide proof beyond all reasonable doubt.....as for religion.....

As Mark Twain wrote...
There are those who scoff at the school boy, calling him frivolous and shallow. Yet it was the school boy who said, Faith is believing what you know ain't so.

Here in America, evolution is out of fashion.  It's oh so stylish now to say that it's "just a theory" and that there is no proof and even if there is, you'd still need a creator to kick it all off.  The stupid is palpable here........

Posted By: Morsenator
Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 12:40

As Mark Twain wrote...

Here in America, evolution is out of fashion.  It's oh so stylish now to say that it's "just a theory" and that there is no proof and even if there is, you'd still need a creator to kick it all off.  The stupid is palpable here........

First of all, theories aren't facts, and they are not even meant to be ones (because that would make them dogmas, and science isn't supposed to have those). And I can't see, even if the current quite widely accepted view of evolution was 100% correct, how that would end the conversation about god, universe&everything. Evolution doesn't go beyond the beginning of a first life form, and its explanatory power ends there as well.

-------------
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 12:46

here we go again...

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 12:48
Why is this thread still going? TFK are clearly not a Christian band, never have, and probably never will. Singing about peace, love, and justice does not make you a christian. If anything, TFK are a hippie band.

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 13:00
That obsession we have to put everyone and everything 'in a box'. Quite frankly irritating.

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 13:12
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

That obsession we have to put everyone and everything 'in a box'. Quite frankly irritating.
H'm like labelling the flowerkings "Symphonic progressive rock" - and there's me thinking that they were a drum and base outfit.....LOL

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 13:17
I have a much more important question.  Why is there a superfluous "are" in the question?

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 13:18
crap ghost editing Ouch

/edit: ghost fixed. Tongue

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 13:25
Because the OP was originally stating that TFK are a christian band, which they are not. The new title is more appropriate imo.

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 13:38

As Mark Twain wrote...

i agree with you... i've been a strict materialist most of my life... 'spirituality' is a subjective realm.. that i personally reject from lack of experience/effects... other people do not, however... i guess more often than not now it's become an ideological struggle... but i still don't think empirical physical sciences have a definitive set of statements on phenomenology-- we'll see... the main thing is that's pretty much impossible to argue with ideology/ie -you can't 'win'... now-a-days the (corporate funded)bullsh*t is so thick that the very idea of science has been called into question in america...but that has nothing to do with my orignial post that you reacted against.. which was merely an acceptance that people value subjective spiritual phenomena-which include ethical and moral aspirations not explainable by scientific/empirical investigations... at least not immediately

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 16:14
Aye, my mrs is always telling me that I should let the god-botherers well alone as they gain comfort from their religious beliefs.......To which I always reply.....Ok, but by that same argument don't scoff at Muslim suicide bombers for believing that their "God" pays them in willing virgins (and eternal virility) for every man, woman or child they take with them into oblivion.....

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 16:40
Ok, the question nobody has asked:

And what the f**k would be the matter if TFK actually was a christian band????

So much stupid anti-religiousity going one will end up making me turn religious....

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 19:01
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

So much stupid anti-religiousity going one will end up making me turn religious....
Okay, we have some stupid anti-gay people around somewhere, let's see if that works the same... Evil Smile

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 19:38
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Okay, we have some stupid anti-gay people around somewhere, let's see if that works the same... Evil Smile

LOLClap

In a sense, I have to agree with T though.  Shocked  What kind of music a band chooses to do is solely up to the artists themselves.  If they want to be a Christian band and sing praises to god in all their songs that is their right as artists.  And it is my right as a consumer to decide whether or not their combination of music and lyrics is pleasing enough to me to make me buy their records (in the case of TFK, the answer is that they are).  Denigrating musicians, be it TFK or Phil Collins (for other crimes against music  Tongue) or Neil Peart (for his early Randian lyrics) or Neal Morse (for his 'praise be to god' lyrics) is pretty silly.  Just avoid those musicians you don't care for and move on. 

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 20:44
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

OuchLOL

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 21:40
I find them boring and preachy. Which does tip the probability scale, but is in no way conclusive.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: July 03 2012 at 23:41
Embarrassed well it's obvious this was a troll thread (like XXXX of them) .. let's all have an enjoyable holiday .. despite my reservations...) let's enjoy the ideal... and do better(ie i invite the non-USAians to be indulgent as well-don't ya'll have a bank holiday or something  :D)

aspirations towards peace... i've done a little bit of what i can for the greens here :]///  

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk