Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Top 10s and lists
Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=88302
Printed Date: May 01 2024 at 21:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tracks that finish too early...
Posted By: aapatsos
Subject: Tracks that finish too early...
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 15:30
Not sure if we have discussed this here before.

I hope the title is not misleading, what I meant to say is:
Some years ago, listening through Opeth's Morningrise and the last track "To bid you farewell", I found myself completely "captivated" by the progression of the track and the melodies, that when it came to the last moments (and after 11+ minutes...), I could not believe the track actually ended, and there was no more... a few years later still listening to this track and still get the same feeling.

Care to share if you have ever found yourself in such a situation? Hope to get some good recommendations for albums that are not widely known Big smile

Replies:
Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 15:33
Good topic.  In prog, nothing off the top of head but...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 15:37
I like that feeling of things ending too early. That's kinda what I try to do musicially. Play some riff one time or twice where you should play it like 8 times. Because with music you can listen to the track over and over again. If it ends too soon you just rewind and enjoy. But as one cohesive album experience its more fun to have more mutation and more concise passages. But that's just my opinion.

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 15:43
I got it, i i i i really got it ii I really got it I really got it

Name that tune. Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 16:01
^ Are we really supposed to find it Slarti ? LOL

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 16:03
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Not sure if we have discussed this here before.

I hope the title is not misleading, what I meant to say is:
Some years ago, listening through Opeth's Morningrise and the last track "To bid you farewell", I found myself completely "captivated" by the progression of the track and the melodies, that when it came to the last moments (and after 11+ minutes...), I could not believe the track actually ended, and there was no more... a few years later still listening to this track and still get the same feeling.

Care to share if you have ever found yourself in such a situation? Hope to get some good recommendations for albums that are not widely known Big smile

This isn't the same, although sometimes it can be too I guess . But is is a  similar sort of topic I started

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84406&KW=unfortunate&PID=4415690#4415690" rel="nofollow - Unfortunate Fade Outs

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 16:07
Empty Vessels Make The Loudest Sound
Trinkets Pale of Moon
Love Ain't For Keeping
Abyss Hinge 1: Sleeping Birds Sighting in Roscolux

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 16:08

When I think of tracks that finish too early, Machine's Rainmaker is the first song that comes to my mind. I wonder how this would continue when it was an 8- or 9-minute song.

Another example is Tim Buckley's I Woke Up. I fully and heartily agree with what Sean Trane says about it in his http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=176973" rel="nofollow - review on Starsailor .

-------------

Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 16:09
Not prog in the purest sense, but "Breaking Glass" from David Bowie's Low is infuriatingly short - less than two minutes, despite having this wonderful fractured funky groove that could easily go for four or five minutes without outstaying its welcome. Having said that, I've just found out via Wikipedia that there's a longer live version from his 1978 tour which I shall now immediately track down.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 16:25
I remember "The Lamia" has a flute lick at the end ... not a solo, a lick! I'd really like to know what came next.

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 16:29
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Moonchild
Halleluhwah

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 16:34
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Moonchild
Halleluhwah

Don't agree with any of these choices.

-------------

Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 16:38
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Moonchild
Halleluhwah

Come on, you could easily add twenty more minutes to 6DoIT, we need more sections for physical ailments like smallpox and the plague.  Moonchild could have repeated all the lyrics, and then added a metal interlude before the avant/free section.  And the drum beat to Halleluhwah is so great, they could have doubled the length.

Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 17:04

This isn't the same, although sometimes it can be too I guess . But is is a  similar sort of topic I started

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84406&KW=unfortunate&PID=4415690#4415690" rel="nofollow - Unfortunate Fade Outs
Cheers for the heads up Snowie - yes I recall seeing this topic some time ago, not the thing I had in mind when creating this one (see example track that I provided), but agree that such fade-outs can sometimes generate the feeling described in this thread Wink

Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 17:10
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

When I think of tracks that finish too early, Machine's Rainmaker is the first song that comes to my mind. I wonder how this would continue when it was an 8- or 9-minute song.

great track and yes, I totally agree Clap - are these guys not in PA???

Posted By: wilmon91
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 17:32

I know a song...

After a while it goes into an exciting 7/8 part and the song really takes off...and then.... it fades down!! What?!

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 17:42

Tongue

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 18:09

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 18:16
First thing to come to mind is Crim's "We'll Let You Know". It builds up nicely, hit a nice buttkicking section, then just dies. Wish it had gone another minute or two more.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 18:20
The first one to come to mind is "Kung Bore", by Anglagard. I somehow feel that the conclussion of the song. The song sounds like it is building to something great, and then suddenly comes down to a quiet (but beautiful) passage, and ends, and I never get to hear that something great that was buing built.

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 18:32
The outro of "Girl with a Watering Can" by motW, I could listen to that forever

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 19:02

-------------

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 19:13
I know the song is already 25 minutes long, but Transatlantic's Stranger In Your Soul has such a beautiful piano section right at the end, and I wish it lasted longer than it does.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 19:53
Magma's "La" Dawotsin - seriously, it's got the makings of an epic, but then just...fades out 4 minutes in as it's starting to build. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 20:01
"The Mincer" from King Crimson's Starless And Bible Black.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 20:14
Gentle Giant - On Reflection
Yes - Survival
Can - Moonshake
Genesis - Lilywhite Lilith
The Aggregation - Flying Free
Astra - Bull Torpis
Caravan - Winter Wine (Its 7min but I feel that it should have been the 20min epic, and 9 Feet Underground should have been cut down)
Egg - Fugue in D Minor
VDGG - Necromancer

Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 21:21
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

First thing to come to mind is Crim's "We'll Let You Know". It builds up nicely, hit a nice buttkicking section, then just dies. Wish it had gone another minute or two more.

Yes. I bet they would have kicked a#$ if they carried on.

Posted By: hinafu
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 22:02
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

Yes - Survival

And Starless, by King Crimson.

Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 22:38
^ "Starless"? Really?

Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 22:41
^Well, the midsection could go on forever, as far as I'm concerned, but overall I think the length is perfect (as is everything else).

-------------

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 22:49
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Yes!! As I'm just reading this for the first time, the first track that poped to my head was The Mincer, I always wondered how did it continue since the rest of the improvisations on the album are fantastic.

Does anybody know if this song was ever released somewhere else?

Posted By: hinafu
Date Posted: July 13 2012 at 23:28
yeah Starless, the climax deserves a little more, don't you think?

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 01:54
Not a prog track but Tomorrow Never Knows should be at least 10 minutes

ELP - Tarkus(studio version) . Aquatarkus was extended on the live versions which I enjoy much more

ELP - Karn Evil 9. Always felt that 3 Impression is a mad dash to get to the end (although ELP are a bit like that admittedly). Would have liked it to have been developed a bit more. In my mind there was an opportunity to make 'Karn Evil 9 The Album' but I guess Greg Lake would have put his foot down on that ideaWink

Posted By: wjohnd
Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 04:44
The Wreckers from Rush- Clockwork Angels.
Alex seems about to launch into a solo when it fades.

-------------

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 04:58
Somewhere in Time by IQ from "Subterrena" There is a heavy riff in the last minute that is incredible, they should have repeated this one for another minute...

Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 05:13
Some of these answers do belong in my thread.Approve

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 05:46

I suggested them some 17 months ago (the only band I ever suggested, click http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=76127" rel="nofollow - here for the thread) and the Crossover team was notified, but I never heard about it since then, So I guess they have been rejected. And I don't suggest the same band for a second time, but I hope they will ever be included. I still think they belong here.

-------------

Posted By: Master of Time
Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 06:04
Beardfish's At Home Watching Movies. It's just under two minutes, and it is a fantastic song and I always feel like I want more, even though that short time span is extremely satisfying.

Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 06:20

Some of these answers do belong in my thread.Approve
so true Star

Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 06:22

I suggested them some 17 months ago (the only band I ever suggested, click http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=76127" rel="nofollow - here for the thread) and the Crossover team was notified, but I never heard about it since then, So I guess they have been rejected. And I don't suggest the same band for a second time, but I hope they will ever be included. I still think they belong here.
agree, just checked in PF and they were http://progfreak.com/Machine-126855.html?path=pa/recent" rel="nofollow - rejected but I also believe they deserve to be in a different sub than crossover...

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 12:35
In case anyone might think that Steve Hackett's "Shadow of the Hierophan" ends too soon, my version of Voyage of the Acolite has a version that lasts 17 min, prolonguing the final section. However, I found more enjoyable the original version, the extended one becomes a bit too repetitive.

Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 13:21
^ I always thought the original 11 minutes were too long, imagine my surprise when I got the CD with the extended version, it's like chinese torture!

I hope in a few years they won't come up with a 23 minutes version.

Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 13:31
Check out this track. It's Jade Warrior, a 3 minute song, very good stuff. But after 2:30 minutes they go to a different direction that is very interesting but instead of keeping the groove the song's end. Confused Why??

Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 15:06
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Not a prog track but Tomorrow Never Knows should be at least 10 minutes.

I never quite could understand what's so special about this track. Why would you want it 10 minutes long?

Originally posted by hinafu hinafu wrote:

yeah Starless, the climax deserves a little more, don't you think?

I think it's just perfect. What more would one want?

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 16:16
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

Yes!! As I'm just reading this for the first time, the first track that poped to my head was The Mincer, I always wondered how did it continue since the rest of the improvisations on the album are fantastic.

From what I gather, the tape ran out while it was running. It was part of a jam called "The Law Of Maximum Distress", which can be found in the second volume of The Great Deceiver live set.

And it was released as a bonus track on the recent issue of Starless And Bible Black. Dang it, why do these artists re-release albums with interesting bonus tracks after I already buy them? It's so annoying! Angry  Oh well, just save your cash for the live set.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 16:21
Thank You For Sending Me An Angel by Talking Heads should last a lot longer. 

-------------

Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 16:32
^ I think it's just the perfect length.

Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

From what I gather, the tape ran out while it was running. It was part of a jam called "The Law Of Maximum Distress", which can be found in the second volume of The Great Deceiver live set.

And it was released as a bonus track on the recent issue of Starless And Bible Black. Dang it, why do these artists re-release albums with interesting bonus tracks after I already buy them? It's so annoying! Angry  Oh well, just save your cash for the live set.

Yes, I remember that now. It's on the SABB 40th anniversary edition.

Posted By: wilmon91
Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 18:08
Genesis - A Place To Call My Own

A nice track, I love the ethereal ending with the "lalala"-singing. It fades away pretty soon and I always want it to go on longer. But since it is transposed upward step by step, it probably wouldn't have been possible to prolong it much more. I really like that ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K37YMa3jgSc" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K37YMa3jgSc

Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 19:26
^ +1. One of the best moments on the album. I think they could have gone just a bit longer with those modulations. But hey, we can do that ourselves, and it's fun and really resonating. However, I do think the song stopped at the right chord. I personally like fade-outs as they give a song's ending a bit of a mysterious edge.

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 22:00

I could listen to that crescendo ending forever, well in fact, I could listen to the whole song on repeat - beauty and majesty. Heart
In terms of tracks ending abruptly with much still to be played or said, one that comes off the top of my head is Different Stings by Rush. Lerxst starts to play one hell of a solo with an absolute perfect tone; too bad the tracks finishes before it starts to get interesting.

-------------

Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 22:32
I have to agree with Snow Dog. Rush is a band that do fade-outs badly. 

-------------

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: July 15 2012 at 09:26
"Slaughtergarden Suite" by Sigh. It breaks my heart every time when that keyboard solo just cuts off.

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2012 at 14:37
I would have to say GG's "His Last Voyage". I wish it would have gone longer with that acoustic guitar part.

Posted By: Ytse_Jam
Date Posted: July 24 2012 at 18:10
Take The Time! Great song and length, but the final fade out during Petrucci's solo just annoys me.

Posted By: mongofa
Date Posted: July 26 2012 at 12:57
Yoo Doo Right

-------------

Posted By: BlackenedGass
Date Posted: July 26 2012 at 15:59
Hawkwind - One Change - A lovely dreamy song, but it's only 50 seconds long!

Family - most of the songs on Music From A Doll's House - I always likened that album to flicking through channels on the radio - you hear a great snippet and then it's gone. Love the album though.

It's A Beautiful Day - Galileo - barely 3 minutes long, lots of different moods and great sounds squashed in, then onto the next track before you know it. Fantastic violin work as well.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: July 26 2012 at 19:27
"On the silent wings of freedom" from the album Tormato, could have been a 15 minute Yes classic if a bit more time had been spent in the studio developing the song. A beautiful guitar riff between Howe and Squire begins the song and then all the good work of the guitars is ruined by the introduction of the verse which comes in at about the two minute mark. If that isn't enough Wakeman puts the song to the sword with some of the worse Moog chords totally unsuited to the song. Why couldn't the Yes musicians have just jammed it up in the studio until they got the structure of the song right? 

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: July 26 2012 at 19:39
Moonchild LOL

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bequeathed" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: July 26 2012 at 22:31
Wacko LOL

Originally posted by mongofa mongofa wrote:

Yoo Doo Right

20 mins and you still can't get enough of it? Big smile

Posted By: BlackenedGass
Date Posted: July 27 2012 at 09:23
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Wacko LOL

Originally posted by mongofa mongofa wrote:

Yoo Doo Right

20 mins and you still can't get enough of it? Big smile

It's from a six hour improvisation, so there's probably a lot more out there somewhere!

Date Posted: July 28 2012 at 00:18
^ Oh, yeah, I'd like to hear THAT in its entirety. From an improv? Didn't know that. A six-hour improv? What endurance.

Posted By: BassoonAng
Date Posted: July 29 2012 at 16:07
Renaissance - Rajah Khan
Renaissance - Can You Understand?
Rush - Cygnus X-1: Hemispheres
Yes - The Fish
Gryphon - the whole RQ2G3 album.
Genesis - Seven Stones
Genesis - Harelquin
Genesis - Can Utility and the Coastliners

-------------

Posted By: lmaorofllollmao
Date Posted: July 29 2012 at 17:15
Grace- Jethro Tull
Wedding Nails- Porcupine Tree (I WISH IT WOULD GO ON FOREVER!!! :P)

-------------
EATTTT YOUURRR BEEEEEETTTSSSSS!!!!!

Date Posted: July 29 2012 at 18:07
Originally posted by BassoonAng BassoonAng wrote:

Yes - The Fish
Genesis - Seven Stones
Genesis - Harelquin

Hm-m-m-m-m-m-m-... . Interesting. "Harlequin"?

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: July 29 2012 at 18:22
Originally posted by lmaorofllollmao lmaorofllollmao wrote:

Wedding Nails- Porcupine Tree (I WISH IT WOULD GO ON FOREVER!!! :P)

Wedding Nails, indeed ... after 5 minutes of top-notch heavy prog it goes into "safe mode" for a minute and a half. 

But this still compares favorably to what  the insolent Mr. Wilson did to us with his Glass Arm Shattering in Deadwing, at least in our edition, where it's not the last track. Within this 11-minute track the music stretches for maybe 5 minutes, then there is one minute of highly artistic static,  after which there are  5 full minutes of stark NOTHING. Not even static.

Posted By: geneyesontle
Date Posted: July 29 2012 at 20:43
The Beatles - I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Genesis - Los Endos
Genesis - Dancing With The Moonlit Knight

-------------
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle

Posted By: BassoonAng
Date Posted: July 30 2012 at 01:23

Yes - The Fish
Genesis - Seven Stones
Genesis - Harelquin

Hm-m-m-m-m-m-m-... . Interesting. "Harlequin"?

Aye.  I've always liked Harlequin.

-------------

Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: July 30 2012 at 01:43

I remember "The Lamia" has a flute lick at the end ... not a solo, a lick! I'd really like to know what came next.

Great choice! I LOVE that song, such an epic but only if it was longer. It ends on such a beautiful note, like some other part was missing. Too bad.

But other songs I always thought could be longer was Nimrodel and Lady Fantasy. Also Lucky Man by ELP. Since the song was overplayed on the radio, some people have a unappreciative view on the original ELP epic (epic by the lyrics).  Great ending.

Date Posted: July 30 2012 at 02:56
So, basically anything that fades out ends too soon? That's a weird one.

Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: July 30 2012 at 04:01
My choices just happened to appear like that. I took this topic and thought of it as "Tracks that you wish were longer". Lucky Man could of been drawn out longer, especially being the ending song of the album. Just with the lyrics they could have gone farther with it.

Nimrodel because being a Lord Of The Rings based song really should of been a longer epic, at least the length of Lady Fantasy.

And listening to Lady Fantasy again, I disregard that one.

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: August 05 2012 at 18:56
I got one more,

M.I.A. - La Coronación Del Farre

Posted By: Zargasheth
Date Posted: August 18 2012 at 15:34
Mahavishnu Orchestra's Celestial Terrestrial Commuters is one of the best jazz tunes I've ever heard, but it cuts off before 3 minutes have elapsed...the guitar & violin trading fours is amazing, but I would have loved to hear some more soloing.

Posted By: HURBRET
Date Posted: August 28 2012 at 22:39
GG's "A Reunion" could go on for another 3 or 4 minutes, and I'd just slouch in my chair, drooling in ecstasy.

-------------
"I don't know if I like it, but it's what I meant."
~Ralph Vaughan Williams, on his fourth symphony

"I don't know if it's what I meant, but I like it."
~Me, on basically everything I've created.

Posted By: zoviet
Date Posted: August 29 2012 at 03:24
Pink Floyd - One Slip (from AMLOR)
Tortoise - It's All Around You

Posted By: Ytse_Jam
Date Posted: August 29 2012 at 09:58

Definitely!

Posted By: Anthony
Date Posted: August 29 2012 at 16:04

So, basically anything that fades out ends too soon? That's a weird one.

Well, I just listened to Tull's "A passion play" again, and I felt the fade-out made it seem it finished too early. Especially for a 45-minute track, was a fade-out really necessary? I mean, "Thick as a brick" doesn't have a fade-out.

And about my fave band Introitus, I felt "Wind" was too short. True, the "Elements"-tracks were just interludes between the epic, but "Wind" was different from the others, which were just preludes to the next track. When I heard the album for the first time, I had just returned from the 2011 Marillion Weekend, and the dreamy atmosphere made me fantasize about being back at the rainy beach of PortZélande, but after less than two minutes it was already over. Much too short. Also, it's just keyboards, flute and acoustic guitar. I was really waiting for the rest of the band to join in. I feel it could have been so much more.... but I love it anyway, like everything they do.Heart

-------------
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)

Date Posted: August 30 2012 at 10:11
Xanadu always seems to end too early, I don't know why.

-------------

Posted By: raph1
Date Posted: September 02 2012 at 14:57
The Young Prince And Princess by Renaissance

Posted By: Zargasheth
Date Posted: September 03 2012 at 19:25
Thought of a couple other songs for this recently: Gösta Berlings Saga's latest album, Glue Works, has a "two 13-minute epics and a bunch of short pieces" structure, and I would have liked to see a couple of those short pieces--particularly "Icosahedron" and "Waves"--extended. (And they could have easily cut a minute or two off of "Island"...)

Date Posted: September 04 2012 at 10:50
In A Glass House. I could listen to that bass riff which starts in the middle for eternity.

-------------

Posted By: Wolfhound
Date Posted: October 12 2012 at 18:32
"Island" by Echolyn. First song of theirs I heard all the way through; it's 16 and a half minutes long and IT FADES OUT AT THE END! WTF lol?! Either end the song or or keep going until you end it. Songs fading out at the end is one of my musical pet peeves.
It's a great song btw...

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: October 13 2012 at 04:03
"The Perfect Drug" by Nine Inch Nails, it ends so abruptly (yeah, there's more complete version out there, but the original mix from "Lost Highway" soundtrack has a very abrupt ending).

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Anthony
Date Posted: October 13 2012 at 08:03
Originally posted by Wolfhound Wolfhound wrote:

"Island" by Echolyn. First song of theirs I heard all the way through; it's 16 and a half minutes long and IT FADES OUT AT THE END! WTF lol?! Either end the song or or keep going until you end it. Songs fading out at the end is one of my musical pet peeves.
It's a great song btw...

I agree. What's the point of a fade out anyway? They still need to think of a way to end the song when they play it live.

-------------
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: October 19 2012 at 01:07
For me, I always thought that Zappa's 'Don't Eat The Yellow Snow' suite (from Apostrophe') kicks into gear with the final part 'Father Oblivion' - it seems to just take off and fades out very quickly - I would've loved to hear more of that jam........

Posted By: ProgDrummerTony
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 18:11
Originally posted by Wolfhound Wolfhound wrote:

It's a great song btw...

I totally agree with this. There are numerous Echolyn songs that could have been stretched, including "Island" (as you mentioned), "Clumps of Dirt," "Georgia Pine," "A Little Nonsense," and even "Mei." But I guess I'm just one of those Echolyn fans that doesn't want any of their songs to end... EVER Big smile

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ProgDrummerTony" rel="nofollow - My Prog Drum Covers

Posted By: mongofa
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 18:21
That one song by that one band

-------------

Posted By: Federico95
Date Posted: October 22 2012 at 12:28
Heavy Blue Miles by Echolyn. I really love that track, and I wished that at least the piano part got developped a bit better... Still a fantastic song, anyway.

Out of the Prog field, I think that George Harrison's All Those Years Ago final melody should have lasted a bit more, and the same is for Triumph's Fight the Good Fight.

-------------

Posted By: menawati
Date Posted: October 22 2012 at 13:10
Originally posted by Federico95 Federico95 wrote:

Triumph's Fight the Good Fight.

Damn thats a good song, so is Ordinary Man on the same album.

-------------
They flutter behind you your possible pasts,
Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost.

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: October 22 2012 at 13:36
i think that Tales From Topographic Oceans was way too short. I think that there should have been a 46 minute Alan White drum solo on that one
 along with a Rick Wakeman spoken rant  about how  sh*t the album was.

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2012 at 13:44
LOL

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: October 22 2012 at 14:21

Moonchild
Halleluhwah

Somebody is just trying to stir up the pot or poke the bear. Lol. Yeah. 6 degrees. 42min. Just didn't cover enough ground?!! What the f. Lol

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: October 22 2012 at 14:33
I guess I'd have to say GENESIS's THE BURNING ROPE. It's a great opening track, but at the end the synth work by banks is so beautiful and epic sounding I just wish it could've listed another couple of mins.

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: raul_siberian
Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 09:45
Yes` "White Car" from Drama Cool

Posted By: Federico95
Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 12:15
Originally posted by raul_siberian raul_siberian wrote:

Yes` "White Car" from Drama Cool

So true! The final part of Does It Really Happen could last more, too LOL

-------------

Print Page | Close Window