Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=88358
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 15:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Simon & Garfunkel
Posted By: Icarium
Subject: Simon & Garfunkel
Date Posted: July 16 2012 at 13:16
so here it is the most famous duo of rock and probably also the most influentual in rock (as far as my knowledge reach)

enjoy

Simon & Garfunkel rules

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: GaryB
Date Posted: July 16 2012 at 14:29
"Bridge" has always been my favorite album by the duo.
But, on a different note, I clearly remember the first time Homeward Bound was played on the radio.
The DJ was so blown away by the song that he played it three times in a row.

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: July 16 2012 at 14:47
Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M, 'cause the title track is my favourite song of theirs.

-------------

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: July 16 2012 at 15:02

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: July 16 2012 at 15:32
Bookends, with 'America' (later covered by Yes) and 'Mrs Robinson' it has to be a winner.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Date Posted: July 16 2012 at 15:40
I love this song

Mooooooooooooooooog

-------------

Posted By: ClemofNazareth
Date Posted: July 16 2012 at 16:02
Of these I voted for "The Sound of Silence", although "Mrs. Robinson", "The 59th Street Bridge Song", "The Boxer" and "America" are all superior to that one IMHO.

-------------
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 16 2012 at 16:12
I've never picked up any S&G albums, but I do have the Central Park DVD.  Also, the I Am A Rock song was very moving.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: July 16 2012 at 16:13
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I've never picked up any S&G albums, but I do have the Central Park DVD.  Also, the I Am A Rock song was very moving.

I fell in love with Bridge when my parents got it. I think the Central Park DVD is incredible.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: GaryB
Date Posted: July 16 2012 at 17:33
Bridge was always going to be my choice but like others here, I have favorite songs on all of the other choices.
But, I like more songs off this album than any of the other albums.
Also, Bridge has two songs that are first and second on my favorite song list, Bridge Over Troubled Water and Boxer.

Date Posted: July 16 2012 at 17:36
what do people think of this album

-------------

Date Posted: July 16 2012 at 19:02
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

what do people think of this album

It's at zero votes.  Whaaaa?  You folks have something against seasonings? Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: July 16 2012 at 19:11
I've always preferred Simon's solo work. But they are pretty good.

-------------

Date Posted: July 16 2012 at 19:23
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

What did you think of Surprise?

-------------

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: July 16 2012 at 19:31

Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

What did you think of Surprise?

Haven't heard it. I'm really only familiar with Graceland and a handful of his other hits.

-------------

Date Posted: July 16 2012 at 19:40
I like Graceland.  I got Surprise at a Tower Records closedown and was surprised to find Brian Eno was involved.

-------------

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: July 17 2012 at 19:01
The classic - Bridge Over Troubled Waters

-------------

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: July 17 2012 at 19:32

I like Graceland.  I got Surprise at a Tower Records closedown and was surprised to find Brian Eno was involved.

Have you heard So Beautiful or So What?  That's a pretty good album, not quite up to the classics, but still a pretty awesome album.

In answer to this poll, Sound of Silence, with Bridge just a hairsbreadth behind.  Oh, and Slarti, had they named the album Garlic, Nutmeg, Oregano and Basil, it might be different.  Wink

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Date Posted: July 17 2012 at 19:59
We picked up three varieties of basil this year, not intentionally.  The Greek seems to be the happiest in this environment.

-------------

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: July 18 2012 at 05:24
No contest. BOTW. One of the greatest albums of the 20th century IMHO.

The only weak IMHO track is the cover of the Everly Brothers "Bye Bye Love".

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: July 30 2016 at 08:01
Bookends Clap

-------------

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: July 30 2016 at 10:46
On the one hand, I think Bookends had higher highs, on the other, Bridge was a slightly more consistent record. In any event, if you want to get into Simon and Garfunkel, either one would be a good start.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 30 2016 at 12:32
oh man... bookends...  how I adore that album...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: August 07 2016 at 13:39
SoS: 

Sounds of Silence, Richard Cory, Somewhere They Can't Find Me, I am a Rock. Love that album. 

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: Michael P. Dawson
Date Posted: August 07 2016 at 13:45
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Sounds of Silence, Richard Cory, Somewhere They Can't Find Me, I am a Rock. Love that album. 

It was the first album I ever owned.

-------------
Buy this thing!
https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/MichaelPDawson" rel="nofollow - https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/MichaelPDawson

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 07 2016 at 15:10
Although I truly love all S&G albums fairly equally, I'll have to give a vote to Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme because it is somehow lacking a vote currently. Simply some of the best S&G songs on that album, including "Scarborough Fair/Canticle", "Homeward Bound", "For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her", "The Dangling Conversation" and the best rendition of "Silent Night" juxtaposed with a TV newsman reporting the day's grisly events. Some of it hasn't aged well (like "Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine" and "A Simple Desultory Philippic"), but even "Feelin' Groovy" is a welcome listen (you can't feel bad listening to that tune).

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 08 2016 at 05:35
BOTW has a phenomenal list of songs -
El Condor Pasa
Cecilia
Keep the Customer Satisfied
The Boxer (probably their best song)
Baby Driver
The Only Living Boy in New York
oh, and there's also the title track as well.

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: August 08 2016 at 06:29
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Although I truly love all S&G albums fairly equally, I'll have to give a vote to Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme because it is somehow lacking a vote currently. Simply some of the best S&G songs on that album, including "Scarborough Fair/Canticle", "Homeward Bound", "For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her", "The Dangling Conversation" and the best rendition of "Silent Night" juxtaposed with a TV newsman reporting the day's grisly events. Some of it hasn't aged well (like "Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine" and "A Simple Desultory Philippic"), but even "Feelin' Groovy" is a welcome listen (you can't feel bad listening to that tune).

I love them all but reading this reminded me of how much I always enjoyed PSR&T so it gets my vote.

Still adore Feeling Groovy, even after all these years.

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: August 08 2016 at 07:27
It's hard to beat Bridge Over Troubled Waters in my opinion.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 08 2016 at 08:33
Tough choice.....between Parsley and Bookends........

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: August 17 2016 at 09:11
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I fell in love with Bridge when my parents got it. I think the Central Park DVD is incredible.

Also love the DVD.  Don't have any albums except best of, but BOTW is undoubtedly one of the finest songs ever written.  And AG has possibly the most beautiful male voice ever.

So perhaps I should get the BOTW album?..............

In fact that could be a wifey Christmas presentClap it's not often there's anything we both enjoy together (musically!), although taking her to see Les Mis in the West End was the greatest shared experience we ever had (wedding and childbirth not included).

Big smile 

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 18 2016 at 01:48
..........the saying goes. " If you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all "
................so I say nothing..........................

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: August 18 2016 at 03:43
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

..........the saying goes. " If you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all "
................so I say nothing..........................
Oh, I dunno. I managed to keep silent for 4 years but since it has been decided to Lazarus this thread... They're pretty offensive to my ears and encapsulate everything I dislike about insipidly bland american pop music that is so arse-numbingly dull it makes Barry Manilow look f-king edgy so I think it's only fair to retaliate. This is easy-listening pap that my grandparents would play after exhausting their repertoire of Guy Mitchel and Pat Boone records. The albums in this poll would cure insomnia if it were not for the incessant whining and grating nasal harmonies - there are several resonant cavities in the human body that add richness and timbre to the human voice, but the nasal cavity isn't one of them - if you're atuned to that thin, reedy voice then good for you, I find it excruciating enough when spoken let alone sung - I'd divulge my secret plans for world domination to the CIA before side one of Bridge over Troubled Water had finished playing. The singing alone would be bad enough but add that to the triteness of self-obsessed lyrics that are so devoid of any emotional content that they make the doggerel poetry of a 14-year old adolescent seem positively laudable by comparison, sung over music that is so monotonous and uneventful that it results in every tune seeming to last twice as long as it actually does (ref: 59th St Bridge Song - lasts less than 2 minutes and even then outstays its welcome). How can I not like Simon & Garfunkel? ... by not being dead yet.  

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I'd rather dip my ears in custard and treacle than listen to AOR Simon & Garfunkel.

Big smile

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 18 2016 at 04:56
^

Date Posted: August 18 2016 at 04:58
Choice 3 should read : Hashish, Weed, Acid and Wine..............

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: August 20 2016 at 08:51
Hashish, Weed, Rose Mary and Wine.....my favorite album of all-time (a bit sexist but it's OK to dream here and again).

Pasley and Bookends are my two favorites.....always thought Bridge was overblown and the debut undercooked.....still, both are excellent - even their lows were highs.  

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk