Print Page | Close Window

Anthony Phillips Appreciation

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=88559
Printed Date: October 24 2014 at 20:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: Anthony Phillips Appreciation
Posted By: Raccoon
Subject: Anthony Phillips Appreciation
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 05:24
For those who turn to Anthony when you wanna be relaxed, awe-inspired, or just merely impressed by his classical piano playing. Your favorite Private Parts & Pieces, or just your favorite Ant album altogether! 



Replies:
Posted By: Master of Time
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 05:33
Anthony Phillips is the reason I got really deep into prog. I was a Yes fan for awhile, and one day I decided to plug Yes into Last.FM and see what came up. After a while the song "Master of Time" by Anthony Phillips from his debut album (the name sake of my username) came on and I was blown away. It was such beautiful and emotional song, I had to hear more. I got a hold of his debut album and thought I have to find more musicians like this. I ended up trying out Steve Hackett, getting his two most recent albums and loving them. However I for some reason was stubbornly avoiding Genesis, and even got a Brand X album before I finally decided it was time. Now I am completely obsessed with the genre.


Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 05:38
Fantastic!! It's the kind of music you can't just find anywhere. Nearly every album by Anthony is great, though with the few reviews I thought there would be one big fan somewhere around. He has such a huge discography, you have to work your way through it. But oh so worth it.

I never went through a lot of Hackett's stuff, though his best rated albums are the BEST. Also Please Don't Touch has some amazing songs, but overshadowed by weak ones.

Just listen to Narnia by Steve Hackett, all the proof you need.

Honestly once I tried out some of Ant's Private Parts & Pieces, I was hooked. And I got them all. Including HIS WHOLE DISCOGRAPHY. So he's now one of my favorite artists. (artist? I guess you'd call him an artist)


Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 05:48
Originally posted by Master of Time Master of Time wrote:

Anthony Phillips is the reason I got really deep into prog. I was a Yes fan for awhile, and one day I decided to plug Yes into Last.FM and see what came up. After a while the song "Master of Time" by Anthony Phillips from his debut album (the name sake of my username) came on and I was blown away. It was such beautiful and emotional song, I had to hear more. I got a hold of his debut album and thought I have to find more musicians like this. I ended up trying out Steve Hackett, getting his two most recent albums and loving them. However I for some reason was stubbornly avoiding Genesis, and even got a Brand X album before I finally decided it was time. Now I am completely obsessed with the genre.


Matter 'a fact, Master of Time is just a bonus song on that album! Hard to believe THAT was a bonus track. He has all flavors, if you like Mike Oldfield, you try Slow Dance. Genesis, you get The Geese & The Ghost. Don't know what I could compare 1984 to, but you get the idea. The rest, pure ambiance Anthony.


Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 06:01

Hmm.. long time since I last heard a complete Ant album. I remember hearing Private Parts Pt 2 when I was a kid and was mesmerized by the beautiful and quirky tunes on it, "Scottish Suite" springs first to mind but the whole album was really good. Slow Dance is great as well, recalls Oldfield's works indeed but with Ant's own peculiar style all over it. He's released a solid bunch of solo albums so I have some investigating to do now!



-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!


Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 06:11
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

Hmm.. long time since I last heard a complete Ant album. I remember hearing Private Parts Pt 2 when I was a kid and was mesmerized by the beautiful and quirky tunes on it, "Scottish Suite" springs first to mind but the whole album was really good. Slow Dance is great as well, recalls Oldfield's works indeed but with Ant's own peculiar style all over it. He's released a solid bunch of solo albums so I have some investigating to do now!



Honestly they're ALL good except IMO the first Private Parts, Twelve, Invisible Men (that's a no-brainer), Sides (only half good, so not quite worth it when there's albums full of innovative music), the 1st Missing Link, Gypsy Suite, and Battle Of The Birds is pretty bad despite the good reviews. The rest (and there's a LOT) are classics, since you know some of his guitar workings you could try Soiree. Soooo beautiful, and it's just one piano! I swear, nearly every song makes my heart skip a beat


Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 07:45
He needs to put out more albums though. LOL

-------------


Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 08:05
I'm still exploring his music. I recently fell in love with Wise After the Event (though I had it for years, it only recently got my attention).

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche / http://raregoat.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - RARE GOAT bandcamp page

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.
-Kehlog Albran


Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 09:04
First stumbled upon the "Geese and the Ghost" in an old "Listening Booth" record store back in the late 70's sonny? I read the credits and bought the LP. Collected every LP upon it's release and then in the digital age, I collected almost all of his works. I love "Tarka" and "Field Day". Some of his acoustic pieces along with the frightning fingering stretches will bust your left hand in halfLOL  I love his early releases that feature old members of King Crimson. I still have the old VH1 special he hosted in the 80's. He plays the music of Penguin Cafe Orchestra and others. He tells the old stories of his life in Genesis, pronouncing their name  "Ga-knee-sis" Wink  He mentions 1 particular gig where the band played on a huge stage outside for 1 person. He says that after their first number, Peter Gabriel turned to the 1 and only person in the audience and said..."Any requests?"   He performs 2 of his original compositions on Classical guitar.  


Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 09:06
My favorite album so far next to TG&TG is the PPP III with Enrique Barro Garcia.  Big smile

-------------


Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 09:09
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:



Honestly once I tried out some of Ant's Private Parts & Pieces, I was hooked. And I got them all. Including HIS WHOLE DISCOGRAPHY. So he's now one of my favorite artists. (artist? I guess you'd call him an artist)
 
I have those as well. I liked playing that series, sitting in my cottage drinking coffee and staring out the window.


Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 09:11
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

My favorite album so far next to TG&TG is the PPP III with Enrique Barro Garcia.  Big smile
 
That's an interesting album of guitar duets. The writing is excellent.


Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 09:22
I will offer up a criticism and it is that scricking sound when you're sliding your fingers along the wound strings. Shocked

-------------


Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 09:52
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I will offer up a criticism and it is that scricking sound when you're sliding your fingers along the wound strings. Shocked
 
 
It happens mostly on the steel string acoustic guitar. I've always had that problem. When he switches his chords, he is basically leaving a position where his fingers appear to be almost twisted. If he releases his fingers before changing to the next chord, ..he might actually fumble. Some of the open strings must be sustained during the chord change or the piece will not sound right. The second chord he is switching to is a 6 or 7 fret stretch...so he slides his hand and fingers to the next position creating an annoying scricking sound. At first, I didn't understand why he was doing this? However..some of his pieces are a nightmare from hell. I noticed right away how I couldn't keep my fingers from creating the scricking sound. Although I was able to at times. It's the style and fingering of his pieces that almost force your hand to do that. It's very strange because when you play Gary Green or Steve Howe's acoustic pieces , your hand is not automatically forced to create that annoying sound. This is hilarious...that you brought this particular detail up!LOL 


Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 10:43
I recall reading in the "Field Day" booklet how he damaged his left hand. To my knowledge he had been working with software and recording library music and not giving much attention to the daily routine of guitar practice. He plunged into it suddenly, playing some of the most beautiful pieces he had ever written, forcing his left hand to do long stretches and as a result had to wrap an ace around it and not go near the guitar for at least a few weeks. When he picked up the guitar again, he nailed those pieces and recorded Field Day. I believe that was the order of events ..although I haven't read the booklet in years. He is a little monster of a player. He is not a speed demon lead guitarist who attempts to impress by being all flash, but his left hand chord shapes combined with his sustaining of open strings and melodic note passages are a nightmare to play and depending on what specific piece you choose to learn. Some pieces sound very pretty and people get the impression that they are easy to play...but it's not true at all.


Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 11:11
I kind of figured it was unavoidable.  The technical explanation is interesting.  Maybe if he used lard on his fingers it might help... Tongue

It's kind of cool when I put it into words you know exactly what I was talking about.

I haven't noticed that as much with later albums.  No doubt he was aware of it and worked to reduce the effect.

There has to be a technical term for it but I don't know what is.  Steve Hackett has used it as a deliberate effect with his pick while playing electric.


-------------


Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 11:45
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I kind of figured it was unavoidable.  The technical explanation is interesting.  Maybe if he used lard on his fingers it might help... Tongue

It's kind of cool when I put it into words you know exactly what I was talking about.

I haven't noticed that as much with later albums.  No doubt he was aware of it and worked to reduce the effect.

There has to be a technical term for it but I don't know what is.  Steve Hackett has used it as a deliberate effect with his pick while playing electric.
 
very true


Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 15:05
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I kind of figured it was unavoidable.  The technical explanation is interesting.  Maybe if he used lard on his fingers it might help... Tongue

It's kind of cool when I put it into words you know exactly what I was talking about.

I haven't noticed that as much with later albums.  No doubt he was aware of it and worked to reduce the effect.

There has to be a technical term for it but I don't know what is.  Steve Hackett has used it as a deliberate effect with his pick while playing electric.


LOL I never minded it, It had that 'natural' sound. Just straight from his guitar. Though after a while it does get a bit annoying, especially on a high volume Unhappy and it distracts you from the actual song.

If you listen to his piano work, that doesn't happen!! I always liked his later Private Parts (god that sounds weird to shorten it Confused) after A Catch At The Tables his work is solid. Always had a soft side for Dragonfly Dreams. And no sliding!

I think I remember that Ivory Tower was supposed to be a joke? Don't quote me on that.. But it always sounded immensely serious. Epic. That Suite-Sea Dogs Monitoring is fantastic.


Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 15:26
I've always admired Phillips' work on Genesis' Trespass. I haven't followed his solo career at all and bought my first Phillips album a couple of days ago: The Geese and the Ghost. Looking forward to hearing it. Many claim this is his finest effort.

-------------
"Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music." - Sergei Rachmaninov


Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 16:04
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I've always admired Phillips' work on Genesis' Trespass. I haven't followed his solo career at all and bought my first Phillips album a couple of days ago: The Geese and the Ghost. Looking forward to hearing it. Many claim this is his finest effort.


It's definitely a one-of-a-kind album from Anthony. The only thing similar with that album and his others, is his unique guitar-playing. But a great place to start. That's where I, and I'm sure MANY others started. Actually, I suppose Wise After The Event is similar in the aspect that there's lyrics.

Then if you like what you hear, perhaps head over to Slow Dance. Has that calm, relaxing feel while still being pure proggy bliss. Much like Geese



Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 16:37
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

[QUOTE=Mirror Image]

It's definitely a one-of-a-kind album from Anthony. The only thing similar with that album and his others, is his unique guitar-playing. But a great place to start. That's where I, and I'm sure MANY others started. Actually, I suppose Wise After The Event is similar in the aspect that there's lyrics.

Then if you like what you hear, perhaps head over to Slow Dance. Has that calm, relaxing feel while still being pure proggy bliss. Much like Geese


Cool, yeah, I've read many mentions of Slow Dance. I read it was really good. Thanks for your feedback.


-------------
"Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music." - Sergei Rachmaninov


Posted By: Master of Time
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 17:17
I'd also like to comment that Trespass is my number two favorite prog album of all-time.


Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 17:18
Originally posted by Master of Time Master of Time wrote:

I'd also like to comment that Trespass is my number two favorite prog album of all-time.

Big smile


-------------
"Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music." - Sergei Rachmaninov


Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 17:19
Originally posted by Master of Time Master of Time wrote:

I'd also like to comment that Trespass is my number two favorite prog album of all-time.


Very nice choice! Stagnation goes down as one of my FAVORITE Genesis songs, and that's saying something.


Posted By: Hawkwise
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 17:22
 The Geese and the Ghost  is one off  my ALL time fav albums in the top ten off all time fav,s for shore. also like to spin Sides ones in awhile to.  The Geese and the Ghost is a 5 star must have album.

-------------


Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 17:25
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

 The Geese and the Ghost  is one off  my ALL time fav albums in the top ten off all time fav,s for shore. also like to spin Sides ones in awhile to.  The Geese and the Ghost is a 5 star must have album.


Can't stop watching your signature picture, it's hypnotizing how many amazing albums are in there Wacko


Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 17:28
I actually thought this topic would easily die out fast, but it's definitely lasting longer than expected. Even if you don't know the Private Parts & Pieces, you can still have mad respect for Anthony just by The Geese & The Ghost. Everyone should own that album.


Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 17:41
The Geese and the Ghost is obviously boring for not having any metal tracks in it. However if one of the songs could be remade as metallic, which one? Tongue

-------------


Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 17:50
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

The Geese and the Ghost is obviously boring for not having any metal tracks in it. However if one of the songs could be remade as metallic, which one? Tongue


Henry already seems a bit metal when the war's going on (or at least I think it's a war, there's cannons!) but I'd like a metal duet of God If I Saw Her Now. I wanna hear some blood-curdling growls of "A CHILD, SIXTEEN WAS I!! BOTH VIRGINS DID WE BUY" Smile


Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 19:36
The instrumental piece "Nightmare" from "Sides" has always been a favorite of mine. According to other's I have conversed with, the piece drags on and on. It's actually a side of Anthony Phillips' writng that sounds a bit like Steve Hackett. Michael Giles is the main feature of this piece for me. It's quite different from how he played with K.C...although you can easily identify his style, the playing itself had a different approach. The piece sets off such a strange vibe. I can visualize him at the top of a mountain, in front of a tower, playing "Nightmare" just before the storm.
 

 


Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 20:07
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

The instrumental piece "Nightmare" from "Sides" has always been a favorite of mine. According to other's I have conversed with, the piece drags on and on. It's actually a side of Anthony Phillips' writng that sounds a bit like Steve Hackett. Michael Giles is the main feature of this piece for me. It's quite different from how he played with K.C...although you can easily identify his style, the playing itself had a different approach. The piece sets off such a strange vibe. I can visualize him at the top of a mountain, in front of a tower, playing "Nightmare" just before the storm.
 

 


The drums definitely don't hide themselves Approve best song on Sides. The epic finisher. With Giles in the front row. Going along with the guitar, but not overpowering the track. Going to a rhythmic beat. Really has that EPIC feel. If anything, it's too short 


Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 21:03
Hard to pick a favorite.  I love Geese.  I also love Wise After the Event, Tarka, 1984, Slow Dance.  Hell, I even like his "pop" albums, Sides and Invisible Men.  His first PP&P album is my favorite of that series, but II, 3, 4, 6 and 7 also deserve mention.  Haven't yet heard 9 or 10.  Embarrassed



-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?


Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 21:11
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Hard to pick a favorite.  I love Geese.  I also love Wise After the Event, Tarka, 1984, Slow Dance.  Hell, I even like his "pop" albums, Sides and Invisible Men.  His first PP&P album is my favorite of that series, but II, 3, 4, 6 and 7 also deserve mention.  Haven't yet heard 9 or 10.  Embarrassed



!! you should be embarrassed! Soiree continues where Ivory Tower left off (pretty much, I actually like Soiree better)! I never actually listened to Invisible Men, so I can't be the judge of that! But I'm sure I should since that's one of the FEW pop albums he ever did. Dragonfly Dreams is also great.


-------------
"It's these little things, they can pull you under. Live your life full of joy and wonder. I always knew this altogether thunder, was lost in our little lives.
Oooooh, ooh, sweetness follows.”
—R.E.M.


Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 21:32
A great soundtrack composer and background wizard but thankfully he walked and Hackett came along. Love TG & TG best.

-------------
Music - The Sound Librarian
...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...


Posted By: Flyingsod
Date Posted: July 27 2012 at 18:08
I've been busy and havent seen this thread till now. Figures that I stay away a few days and interesting threads start up. I'm an Ant fan but exceptt for a few youtube sessions I only know his Genesis work. Tresspass is my fav Genesis album and between that and the compositions he worked on in Nursery Cryme I fell in love with 12 string guitar. Steve Hackett of course did a great job in the band but I am not really greatful for the replacement. I prefer the electric guitar work on Tresspass to later albums as well as the acoustic 12 string.

-------------

This space intentionally left blank



Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: July 28 2012 at 02:58
Originally posted by Flyingsod Flyingsod wrote:

I've been busy and havent seen this thread till now. Figures that I stay away a few days and interesting threads start up. I'm an Ant fan but exceptt for a few youtube sessions I only know his Genesis work. Tresspass is my fav Genesis album and between that and the compositions he worked on in Nursery Cryme I fell in love with 12 string guitar. Steve Hackett of course did a great job in the band but I am not really greatful for the replacement. I prefer the electric guitar work on Tresspass to later albums as well as the acoustic 12 string.


I always wondered how Genesis would sound if Ant stayed... Anthony really showed what you could do with just a guitar or piano. That you could capture moods with different notes and tempos. I played the acoustic A LONG time ago and gave it up pretty quickly. I had no idea you could do all that, haha. So much of the Private Parts are fantastically good, his piano work on Soiree is definitely worth checking out.

Thanks for the post, it's always nice to see someone else who appreciates Ants' work! Smile


Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: July 28 2012 at 18:39
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

Hmm.. long time since I last heard a complete Ant album... 
Me too.  Will have to give Ant his due!


Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: September 19 2012 at 13:17
Hi,
 
There is not a whole lot more I can say about Anthony Phillips, that has not alreayd been said.
 
I wrote some poetry to one of his pieces, (Slow Dance), and he was polite and wonderful enough to allow me to use his music when the time came and we were able to put together the Ygdrasil Journal of Poetic Arts' very  first (and only) issue that was recorded ... as poetry needs to be, instead of read!
 
I have nothing but admiration for the three people that have allowed me over the years to use their music to illustrate some poetry. These three people are some of the nicest folks in the business and some of the most creative ... out there! Anthony Phillips is one and does not need the accolades in order to do his work and concentrate on his vision and music!
 
You can always tell the real artist ... he just lives on and on and on ... and does not need to advertise himself ... the work does it for him!


-------------
... none of the hits, none of the time ... you might actually find your own art, or self, and forego lousy heroes or Guru's!

www.pedrosena.com


Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 19 2012 at 17:27
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:


Originally posted by Master of Time Master of Time wrote:

I'd also like to comment that Trespass is my number two favorite prog album of all-time.
Very nice choice! Stagnation goes down as one of my FAVORITE Genesis songs, and that's saying something.


In a way, Trespass is also my favourite album. Or at least, it is the one I enjoy most from beginning to end. All the songs are beautiful, and so, it doesn't have the obligatory annoying song that the other albums with Gabriel and Hackett have. In that way, Geese and the Ghost might also be better than the other great Genesis albums. However, both albums lack, as far as I'm concerned, the better than great songs that other albums have, such as Supper's Ready, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, Firth of Fifth, and Cinema Show (for me, The Knife would be the closest to this).


Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: September 20 2012 at 14:27
I started collecting Ant Phillips CD's as a sort of Genesis Collectionist hobby - never listed to any of them except 1984 and SIDE's just dug out Geese and the Ghost - I shall listen to that this weekend....
Sorted.


-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......


Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: September 21 2012 at 09:09
My favorite Ant album might be Slow Dance, although maybe it is Sides after all (I still like the more commercial first half). Completing my top 3 is Ivory Moon. It took a while before I really liked that one, actually.

I also like Back To The Pavilion  and Tarka. There's my top 5, then.


Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: September 21 2012 at 15:13
I listened to G & T G - very early genesis like starts with a put-off track with collins singing the best track is the last one (before the bonus) - Hackett's Voyage of the Acolyte is infinately better IMHO....

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......


Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: September 22 2012 at 18:51
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

My favorite Ant album might be Slow Dance, although maybe it is Sides after all (I still like the more commercial first half). Completing my top 3 is Ivory Moon. It took a while before I really liked that one, actually.

I also like Back To The Pavilion  and Tarka. There's my top 5, then.

Great picks!! Have you heard Soiree? It's much like Ivory Moon (only piano) but more entertaining. The moods Ant strikes are more powerful, more obvious, more lush. THAT is probably my #3 Ant album.

#1 is of course TG&tG while Slow Dance is probably #2.

I feel bad not mentioning Dragonfly Dreams and Wise After The Event, so maybe #4 and #5 right here.


-------------
"It's these little things, they can pull you under. Live your life full of joy and wonder. I always knew this altogether thunder, was lost in our little lives.
Oooooh, ooh, sweetness follows.”
—R.E.M.


Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: September 22 2012 at 19:25
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

My favorite Ant album might be Slow Dance, although maybe it is Sides after all (I still like the more commercial first half). Completing my top 3 is Ivory Moon. It took a while before I really liked that one, actually.

I also like Back To The Pavilion  and Tarka. There's my top 5, then.


I prefer the second half of Sides, but I do like the first side, especially Um & Argh.  That and Bleak House are probably my favorites from that album.  PP&P II is good, but I slightly prefer I as it seems to have more completed pieces.  Slow Dance is excellent as is 1984.  The double CD version of 1984 has some really cool bonus stuff on the second disc. 

My favs are probably TG&TG at the top (and I like Phil's vocal input on the two songs he sings-this was directed at another poster), with Slow Dance and Wise After the Event bringing up the two and three spots.  I should also mention that his pop album Invisible Men is pretty cool as well.  PP&P I, Sides and 1984 are the following three.


-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?


Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: September 23 2012 at 13:31
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

My favorite Ant album might be Slow Dance, although maybe it is Sides after all (I still like the more commercial first half). Completing my top 3 is Ivory Moon. It took a while before I really liked that one, actually.

I also like Back To The Pavilion  and Tarka. There's my top 5, then.

Great picks!! Have you heard Soiree? It's much like Ivory Moon (only piano) but more entertaining. The moods Ant strikes are more powerful, more obvious, more lush. THAT is probably my #3 Ant album.

#1 is of course TG&tG while Slow Dance is probably #2.

I feel bad not mentioning Dragonfly Dreams and Wise After The Event, so maybe #4 and #5 right here.

I bought Soirée, but haven't listened to it yet. So it's that good? You make me curious. I have to really try that one! 


Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: September 23 2012 at 13:34
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

My favorite Ant album might be Slow Dance, although maybe it is Sides after all (I still like the more commercial first half). Completing my top 3 is Ivory Moon. It took a while before I really liked that one, actually.

I also like Back To The Pavilion  and Tarka. There's my top 5, then.


I prefer the second half of Sides, but I do like the first side, especially Um & Argh.  That and Bleak House are probably my favorites from that album.  PP&P II is good, but I slightly prefer I as it seems to have more completed pieces.  Slow Dance is excellent as is 1984.  The double CD version of 1984 has some really cool bonus stuff on the second disc. 

My favs are probably TG&TG at the top (and I like Phil's vocal input on the two songs he sings-this was directed at another poster), with Slow Dance and Wise After the Event bringing up the two and three spots.  I should also mention that his pop album Invisible Men is pretty cool as well.  PP&P I, Sides and 1984 are the following three.

Yes, I prefer the second half of Sides too. Sisters Of Remindum is my favorite track, followed by Bleak House, I think. Um and Aargh is quite good, yes. 
Oh yes, 1984 is also a good album! 


Posted By: Einsetumadur
Date Posted: September 23 2012 at 14:59
However good the original albums may be - the ultimate sonic paradise are the alternate versions of Wise After The Event, especially those with Michael Giles and John Perry. Ant should have recorded the whole album live with those two guys - it sounds like a great mixture of Caravan, early Genesis and McDonald&Giles to me. 

-------------
All in all each man in all men


Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: September 24 2012 at 06:22
1984 is his best IMHO.....could have done it better with a drummer though....

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk