Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=88890
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 04:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rush: Synth-rock era poll
Posted By: Ytse_Jam
Subject: Rush: Synth-rock era poll
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 14:40
Obviously 70s Rush are the best, but I do like their 80s stuff too! Power Windows is growing on me a lot in this period. Tongue

Replies:
Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 14:41
Hold Your Fire is one of my favorite Rush albums. Top 10 for sure. Instrumentation on that album is fierce. Tongue

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 14:58
I've said it time and again, Signals is THE best Rush album. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 15:19
Power Windows IMO had their best use of synths.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 16:51
Signals and P/G, 4.5 stars
Power Windows 3.5 stars
Hold Your Fire 3 stars

i'll go with P/G

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 17:08
Since you did not include Presto, I will vote for Hold Your Fire, an album I hated for years before falling in love with it.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: zachfive
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 17:13
Is this suppose to be a vote for Rush's best use of synthesizers or your personal favorite from this era?

Personal favorite, Hold Your Fire, although not the best use of keys, it is one of Geddy's pinnacle moments as a bassist. As Horizons stated, the instrumentation is indeed fierce.

As for the best use of synth? I agree with Wanorak, PW takes that cake.

Also, the only obvious thing about 70's Rush is that they were still finding their way as musicians. Staying close to the sound of their influences and popular rock acts of that time. It is only in the 80's and beyond when they actually developed into what I consider to be that true Rush sound. I enjoy the 70's output, it is what sucked me in, but after going through their entire discography multiple times, it is the 80's+ material that brings me the most enjoyment.

Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 18:03
^ Maybe I used wrong words, but I mean that is obvious to ME to say 70s Rush are the best. Hovewer, you are supposed to vote the album you personally like more.
I agree about the use of keys made in PW, and I love Geddy's bass lines here too! That's why it is my favourite at the moment. 
PS: I've not included Presto because it's more a sort of transition album to me, when this four albums represent completely their synth-filled and almost pop works, which is what the poll focuses on.

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 18:27
Grace Under Pressure is my favorite from those listed.  Surprised it's doing so poorly.  Hold Your Fire is my least favorite.  Too soft rock for me.  

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 18:31
Grace is their best album IMO.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 20:14
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Since you did not include Presto, I will vote for Hold Your Fire, an album I hated for years before falling in love with it.
I came around to Hold Your Fire very late in the game too, maybe about 10 years ago or less. I never cared for it before, but I really like it now, and about half of it I really love.  There's a ton of warmth to it, it's hard to explain.

Still, Signals and Grace Under Pressure are two of my favorites.  I'm voting for Grace.  It's my 2nd favorite of all their albums, after Moving Pictures.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 21:38
Anything but HYF.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: zoviet
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 23:50
dammit!!! more stuff to check out now....anytg w prog n synths just gets me all hot!!

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 10 2012 at 04:35
Grace under Pressure is my favourite post Moving Pictures album.

Just recently I've been revisiting 80's Rush, and I have to say Power Windows and Hold your Fire are really much better than I remember them at the time! The first side (vinyl) of HYF is fantastic.

Whoever claimed Rush made unemotional music, doesn't know what they're talking about.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 10 2012 at 15:14
I did once remark on another forum that Rush had become the eighties equivalent of ELP (and got some puzzled responsesLOL). As an ELP fan I had always hoped they would come back in the eighties with an album as powerfull and brilliant as Power Windows. (they didn't Ouch)

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: August 10 2012 at 15:22
Glad to see some post-Moving Pictures love.  I love all 4 albums but at this moment in time my finger clicked on Grace Under Pressure.

-------------

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: August 10 2012 at 15:24
I can't get through Grace under Pressure, only Rush album that i actually dislike. Go figure.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: August 11 2012 at 07:51
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Grace Under Pressure is my favorite from those listed.  Surprised it's doing so poorly.  Hold Your Fire is my least favorite.  Too soft rock for me.  
SmileThis.

Posted By: King Manuel
Date Posted: August 11 2012 at 12:56
Originally posted by Ytse_Jam Ytse_Jam wrote:

Obviously 70s Rush are the best, but I do like their 80s stuff too! Power Windows is growing on me a lot in this period. Tongue

Obviously 7080s Rush are the best, but I do like their 8070s stuff too!  Big smile

A Show of Hands was my entry ticket to Rush, which led me to the other synth albums and later to the 70s and the more recent works. A Show of Hands to this day is my most played Rush album. From the list above I went with Signals, although I could as easily have said Grace under Preassure

-------------
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: August 11 2012 at 22:52
All of them are excellent, but Grace Under Pressure is absolutely brilliant.  The interplay between the instruments is excellent, Geddy's voice is emotionally phenomenal (Red Sector A!), and Alex has some great guitar work with his chord solos and crazy melodies.  Not to mention that it's Rush's heaviest album of the 80's.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: August 11 2012 at 23:10
Grace for consistency, though I like Signals too and PW is growing on me more all the time.  

-------------

Date Posted: August 12 2012 at 14:26
Originally posted by King Manuel King Manuel wrote:

Originally posted by Ytse_Jam Ytse_Jam wrote:

Obviously 7080s Rush are the best, but I do like their 8070s stuff too!  Big smile

A Show of Hands was my entry ticket to Rush, which led me to the other synth albums and later to the 70s and the more recent works. A Show of Hands to this day is my most played Rush album. From the list above I went with Signals, although I could as easily have said Grace under Preassure
Yes, A Show Of Hands is for sure one of their best concerts ever recorded.

Posted By: TexasKing
Date Posted: February 18 2017 at 07:39
P/G for me, followed by Signals. I like PoW also and I'm not a fan of HYF, too poppy for my taste. 

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: February 18 2017 at 07:58
Signals

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: February 18 2017 at 10:17
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

All of them are excellent, but Grace Under Pressure is absolutely brilliant.  The interplay between the instruments is excellent, Geddy's voice is emotionally phenomenal (Red Sector A!), and Alex has some great guitar work with his chord solos and crazy melodies.  Not to mention that it's Rush's heaviest album of the 80's.

I agree with this. I still voted for Signals, because of the analogs, but songwise, P/G is every bit its equal, not to mention "Between The Wheels" is the most intense song between the two.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: February 18 2017 at 12:23
It's said a couple of times before, and I'll say it again.

70's Rush to me is a kind of Led Zeppelin/Triumph hardrock wich gradually came to be the Rush I love so much.

I grew up with Show of Hands, Presto and Counterparts. Wich to me are still my favorite albums.
Hell, Show of Hands is to me even better than the four 80's studio albums.

I voted for Grace Under Pressure, because of the songmaterial.

Did people know, there's not a whole lot of synth on Presto. There's lots of piano, though.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: February 18 2017 at 15:20
^ Always an interesting point; the impact one's age and era has on perception and preference.   For me and my peers, GUP was a horrifying transgression that indicated decay (though I do like PW, Counterparts and of course the great Signals).

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: February 18 2017 at 15:44
Signals

-------------

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: February 18 2017 at 19:28
Power Windows. That album has always spoken to me in a way I can't articulate. My favorite post Moving Pictures record

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 21 2017 at 14:51
Signals

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: February 21 2017 at 18:17
I chose signals partly because it was the first Rush album I ever heard(on cassette of course). Hold your fire is their most under rated album though. 

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: February 21 2017 at 23:56
Signals, although Grace Under Pressure is a close second.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 22 2017 at 02:19
Signals > Hold Your Fire > Grace under Pressure >= Power Windows

-------------

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: February 22 2017 at 03:12
The only time Rush became interesting, but then they had lost it again by 'Power Windows'...

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: February 23 2017 at 08:27
Easy one - Signals is the only option that doesn't suck.

Guitars are good.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 24 2017 at 05:42
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Always an interesting point; the impact one's age and era has on perception and preference.   For me and my peers, GUP was a horrifying transgression that indicated decay (though I do like PW, Counterparts and of course the great Signals).

My introduction was Exit Stage..left, so it was all about Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves for me. Although I grew to love GUP and Signals, I didn't like them at first. Too much synth, and to my ears at the time too much like pop music and not enough like 'rock' music. As you say, it all depends on when you discovered the band.

GUP is now among my favourite Rush albums, but on first listen I was left very cold indeed. I certainly hated that ice cold production. It's interesting that is regarded as a 'synth' era album, because the guitar is actually very dominant in the mix, screaming to foreground most of the time. It seemed to me that Lifeson was truing to emulate The Edge of U2 at that time.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 24 2017 at 08:46
Signals

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk