Print Page | Close Window

Best Prog Related band ?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=89466
Printed Date: May 14 2024 at 18:55
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Best Prog Related band ?
Posted By: Sagichim
Subject: Best Prog Related band ?
Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 03:49
I couldn't include all the bands listed under Prog Related, so I picked my favorite ones and pulled out the most famous ones like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and etc, just to make it more even.

If you pick Other, say who it is.

Replies:
Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 03:56
I stick to this list and vote for City Boy.

-------------

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 06:01
Budgie :)

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 06:24
Tough!

10cc, Budgie and Golden Earring were all brilliant at times, though calling Budgie "prog related" may be stretching it too far and 10cc were always known as a full blown art rock band (so proper prog) in the 70s.

Nevertheless, I'm going for Golden Earring.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Federico95
Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 06:34
Ambrosia, but among those which are not included in this poll I choose Triumph, they are my favourite band ever Wink

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 07:36
Max Webster is awesome   and get my vote

If you are a Rush  fan .... check out the song Battle Scar  by Max Webster  featuring members of Rush

next would be Blue Oyster Cult

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: The Jester
Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 09:49
I don't understand why B.O.C are Prog related, but since they are in this poll, I voted for them! Tongue

-------------
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 10:42
From this list, I don't love any band, but I like BOC the most.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bequeathed" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 11:52
Max Webster for sure

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 13:05
My favourite entries in the Prog Related category are not bands: Terry Riley would take top spot followed by Gerard Manset and Vangelis.

As for bands; not sure.  I wanted to say Coven, thinking it was in Prog Related, but I see that it's in Proto Prog.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 13:11
Just like Logan here, I am a sucker for both Riley and Vangelis, although with the latter I much prefer his earlier excursions to his more famous works. My fave from him is his Krautrock masterpiece The DragonHeart
Out of this particular lot, I'll go for Golden Earring.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 14:20
Very tough one!! I've always had a soft spot for City Boy. I also love 10CC and Ambrosia.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 15:38
Since I really like every band on this list it's extremely hard to choose. My top favorites would be 10cc, City Boy and Budgie, but my vote goes to Groundhogs. Tony McPhee is an incredible guitarist, has a killer sound and overall the band rocks like there is no tomorrow. In a short while I managed to collect all of their albums and I must say they are all very good. Excellent band to discover for those of you who likes some blues in their prog.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 15:42
I have to join in with my fellow Rush fans with a vote for Max Webster.  BOC and Golden Earring were also up for consideration.

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 16:39
Groundhogs
Budgie

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 16:57
Though i like quite a few bands in this list, i went for Other-solo artist Helmut Koellen. I suggested him for inclusion in PA as Prog Related, then switched it to Crossover Prog, which i feel now was stretching it a bit, but he is Prog Related in my books for sure.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 21:13
Originally posted by The Jester The Jester wrote:

I don't understand why B.O.C are Prog related, but since they are in this poll, I voted for them! Tongue

From this list, B.O.C., for sure. I guess they are prog-related, in the sense that you can find a relation to anything, sort of like the six degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon. Wink

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 23:31
On this list, BOC easily.

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Gallifrey
Date Posted: September 07 2012 at 23:38
Muse

-------------
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: Alitare
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 00:04
Marty Robbins for his concept album 'Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs' in 1959.

Yep, I'm totally full of sh*t.

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 00:19
From this list, 801 followed by BOC. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 02:58
Muse given that Vangelis isn't a band (and should be in prog electronique anyway)

Posted By: Ytse_Jam
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 07:05
Queen!

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 09:33
STYX

-------------

Posted By: hobocamp
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 11:38
^

And Toto too.

Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 12:10
Originally posted by Federico95 Federico95 wrote:

Ambrosia, but among those which are not included in this poll I choose Triumph, they are my favourite band ever Wink
I saw Triumph on their Allied Forces tour in 1981-great show.

Posted By: Federico95
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 13:21
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Oh I imagine, that was probably their best period Smile But I noticed that they have a really low consideration on this site... Sincerely I can't understand why Confused

Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 13:22
I wanted to make it a two part poll but some of the bands included there you guys have already mentioned, so I'm afraid there is no use for the second part. Embarrassed

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 15:23
Black Sabbath, but from this list I would go with Budgie.

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 15:42
Slint, but from the list Max Webster. One of those Canadian bands that I've known all my life from listening to Q107, Toronto classic rock radio. Some really great tunes - In The Context of The Moon, Lily, Paradise Skies. Sort of like a Rush, Zappa hybrid, but with pop sensibilities. 

-------------

Posted By: Capt Fongsby
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 16:07
Wishbone Ash

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 17:41

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Oh I imagine, that was probably their best period Smile But I noticed that they have a really low consideration on this site... Sincerely I can't understand why Confused
I can.
Triumph was one of my two first "favorite bands".  Never Surrender was (along with another album) the first album I ever bought.  And I still have great affection for them.  However, I have a hard time seeing them as "prog-related".  Sure, they have "The Blinding Light Show / Moonchild".  But beyond that...  They were a hard rock / AOR band that had some nice acoustic interludes, and the occasional jazzy piece.  They had quite a few great songs, but also a bit too much mediocre stuff.  Honestly, I think having them in prog-related does them a bit of a disservice, because reviews tend to dismiss them for being not very proggy, rather than praising them for what they are good at.  Ah well!  I did just recently get Surveillance on CD finally.  It was actually better than I had remembered.  (Guest appearance by Steve Morse as well!)  So The Sport of Kings and the non-Emmett one are the only two I don't have on CD.  (I've never even heard the latter one, actually!)  TSoK was always a disappointment, so I'm not sure I'll ever both with that one again.

Do you have an Rik Emmett solo albums?  I have only his first two, and while there are a few good songs, they were mostly disappointments.  Way too much pop.  I did hear years ago he might release an actual progressive rock album, but as far as I know that never happened.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 20:57
I've lived most of my life in places in Ontario, Canada, so Triumph were part of my musical map/background.  I don't have any of Rick Emmett's solo recordings, though  i have heard some of it on the radio, not bad, but not great, either.
         I tend to prefer early Triumph only. After Allied Forces, i kind of lost interest.

Posted By: King Manuel
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 01:21
Nothing really on that list, so Other, meaning in this case Magnum!

-------------
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus

Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 01:30
Going from the list, 10cc EASILY. Some amazing, classic albums. I think they're prog enough to be Crossover prog. Gentle Giant + The Beatles = 10cc

-------------
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/

Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 02:05
Agreed. 10cc were much more than prog related, very clever and complex stuff, especially on the vocals. I have only their first four albums, is there another album worth having?

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 02:07
It's amazing how many can't read properly: look at how mant  "other"  choices were expressed when you know this thread is just a part 1Confused

Webster (my vote) is always a fave of mine

10CC and Golden Earring were my top three

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 02:14
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

Agreed. 10cc were much more than prog related, very clever and complex stuff, especially on the vocals. I have only their first four albums, is there another album worth having?

Deceptive Bends is a goodun'. And I agree, 10cc are fully fledged crossover IMO.

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: The_Jester
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 03:29
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> There's so many I could choose from... umhhhhhhhhh... I'd say RX Bandits for now.

-------------
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 06:16

Those are all the GREAT albums, I think that none of the other ones are really worth having.

Maybe with the exception of Deceptive Bends.

But the problem was that after the four albums, Kevin Godley and Lol Creme left!!

Naming my favorite album by them, I'd probably have to be The Original Soundtrack. Nearly every song has some meaning to me, and there's a beauty to the songs. At least it's definitely my most listened 10cc album. "The film of my loooveeee!"

Never really could get into Golden Earring except for their one-hit-wonder (I won't even mention it's name, since everyone should know) and that was long ago. And regarding allllllllll the other Prog Related bands, I feel if you select 'Other' you're cheating Tongue

-------------
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: otto pankrock
Date Posted: October 02 2012 at 13:24
Listened to Split the other day. Groundhogs

Date Posted: October 02 2012 at 15:12
^ And...

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: October 03 2012 at 05:40
Originally posted by Capt Fongsby Capt Fongsby wrote:

Wishbone Ash

THIS

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: October 03 2012 at 05:47
if you want to make part 1 2 3, dont give a other choice.

my vote goes to other : Zepplin 

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: Sheavy
Date Posted: October 03 2012 at 20:04
Hogs of the Ground.

-------------

Posted By: giselle
Date Posted: October 04 2012 at 23:40
I'm not sure they should be listed under Prog Related in the first place, but given that they are, the choice has to be CLOUDS. Not only the best but of crucial importance to this whole genre, yet still ridiculously underrated by the lemmings.

Posted By: arthurdent23
Date Posted: October 05 2012 at 10:57
Of the bands listed, definitely the Blue Oyster Cult for me, and then Budgie. The BOC were my band as a teenager during the 80s when my friends were into Led Zep, Yes, Gong, AC/DC, Sabbath, Iron Maiden, etc etc. Still love the early work of the BOC before they 'sold out' as it were. There is talk of a reunion of the original line-up, so am intrigued to know more about when that is happening. Saw them live in 2002 twice, the first show at Milton Keynes was one of the most memorable and fabulous experiences of my life.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 05 2012 at 15:40
Blue Oyster Cult! They've never recorded a prog "album," but they certainly have songs that qualify. If you switched replaced Eric Bloom's vocal in "Veteran Of The Psychic Wars" and replaced it with, say, Andy Latimer, you'd think it was a Camel song circa Stationary Traveller!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Jonathan
Date Posted: January 26 2013 at 06:06
For it would be a tie between Journey and Queen. They may only be Prog-Related but they sound more Prog to me than Shakti is. LOL

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: January 26 2013 at 07:15
Originally posted by giselle giselle wrote:

I'm not sure they should be listed under Prog Related in the first place, but given that they are, the choice has to be CLOUDS. Not only the best but of crucial importance to this whole genre, yet still ridiculously underrated by the lemmings.

Excuse me?...I think you may mean that Clouds may be unjustly ignored by those who habitually and regrettably side with the majority

-------------

Posted By: Jonathan
Date Posted: January 26 2013 at 07:18
Who are Clouds?

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: January 26 2013 at 10:15
Voted Budgie, Parents is one of my all time favorite tracks Smile

Posted By: wilmon91
Date Posted: January 26 2013 at 11:31
I found The Church in "Prog Related", so I vote for them.

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: January 26 2013 at 11:34
Other. Talking Heads.

Posted By: FusionKing
Date Posted: January 26 2013 at 20:25
I vote other so I can pick, Budgie, Blue Oyster Cult AND Groundhogs AND why not Wishbone Ash too...

-------------
"Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself" - Sartre

Posted By: catfood03
Date Posted: January 26 2013 at 22:07
I am unfamiliar with most of the bands on this list, so I will offer The Residents, Dead Can Dance, and (later-era) Talk Talk as my faves.

...oh, and The Beatles, too.

Date Posted: January 26 2013 at 23:39
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

Budgie :)

Mhwoaahhhxxxxx yes Friso huge hug to you, yes Budgie, Parents is my favorite track HugHeart

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: January 26 2013 at 23:41
Grateful Dead falls under here right? That's my vote.

Date Posted: January 26 2013 at 23:43
Originally posted by FusionKing FusionKing wrote:

I vote other so I can pick, Budgie, Blue Oyster Cult AND Groundhogs AND why not Wishbone Ash too...
Yay FusionKing me too I love Budgie, even with Parents besides the incredible instrumentals the singer while singing Parents at times reminded me of Nancy Sinatry in Bang Bang WinkBig smileTongue
Hug to you Hug

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: January 27 2013 at 00:45
Other: Vangelis, but if you insist on picking a band, Talking Heads.

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: February 07 2013 at 11:07
Originally posted by otto pankrock otto pankrock wrote:

Split is great, as is Thank Christ For The Bomb.

Date Posted: February 07 2013 at 12:02
Originally posted by Kirillov Kirillov wrote:

In the past two years I've been investigating Groundhogs and now that I have all their albums, I can say their 1976 Black Diamond is their best. Check it out!

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: February 08 2013 at 02:45

Originally posted by Kirillov Kirillov wrote:

In the past two years I've been investigating Groundhogs and now that I have all their albums, I can say their 1976 Black Diamond is their best. Check it out!

Cheers, I will.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 08 2013 at 07:08
Quick plug for Max Webster, especially Paradise Skies.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk