URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=89482
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 09:04
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Discovering Australian Prog
Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Subject: Discovering Australian Prog
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 08:54

Discovering Australian Prog

Australian Prog is certainly not something that is prolific and many of the bands fade into obscurity due to not being as popular as UK, USA or Italian prog, and that is understandable. However there is a heck of a lot of great Oz prog out there and it deserves some commendation. 

Some info on Australia:

We have 6 states and 2 territories. 

Australian Capital Territory (ACT) ..... Capital city: Canberra

New South Wales (NSW) ..... Capital city: Sydney

Northern Territory (ACT) ..... Capital city: Darwin

Queensland (QLD) ..... Capital city: Brisbane

South Australia (SA) ..... Capital city: Adelaide

Tasmania (TAS) ..... Capital city: Hobart

Victoria (VIC) ..... Capital city: Melbourne

Western Australia (WA) ..... Capital city: Perth

We have our own slang:

but of course this is stereotypical....

ahem...

We are known for the following iconic images:

Animals - 

Kangaroos

Tasmanian Devils

which look nothing like this, nor do they spin on their bums

Koalas (that are not really bears!)

and the Platypus

None of these animals wander or jump around the streets as much as one may think, rather they are more likely found in zoos or wildlife reserves. (although a bunch of Tassie devils were found killing my chickens years ago when I lived in the bush).

Farmers do not chew straw or wear straw hats, in fact the only straw farmers use is to feed the cows.

Our landmarks are well known:

Ayers Rock 

Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge

Great Barrier Reef

Parliament in Canberra

Its a place of beautiful scenery found in places such as:

Cradle Mountain

Great Ocean Road

Bondi Beach

Fraser Island

Shark Bay

The Australian Alps

and

Kangaroo Island

On Tv our kids watch:

Hi-5

The Wiggles

The teens watch

Home and Away

The X Factor

The adults watch

Packed to the rafters.... and other shows

Were always on time - Australian EPG

Occasionally our TV shows make an impact in Great Britain:

They go nuts over:

and:

Australian movies often make some kind of world impact:

Crocodile Dundee Poster

We tend to eat:

Sweets

Meat

and

fish N Chips

we cook on barbeques

and we drink beer

We drink these while watching our beloved Aussie Rules Footy

And many of us Aussies also love prog!

As an Australian myself I feel it in my interests to fly the flag and create a prog  blog dedicated solely to Australian prog artists. I want to review their albums here and share info on the individual artists. 

To start here is the list of Oz Prog as listed on PA:

(marked in Blue as I introduce/review each band) - 

AEON OF HORUS Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
AHKMED Psychedelic/Space Rock
ALARUM Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
ALCHEMIST Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
DAEVID ALLEN Canterbury Scene
ALPHA OMEGA Psychedelic/Space Rock
ALTERA ENIGMA Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
THE AMENTA Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
ANUBIS Neo-Prog
APRICOT RAIL Post Rock/Math rock
AQUANAUT Psychedelic/Space Rock
ARAGON Neo-Prog
ARCANE Heavy Prog
ARIEL Prog Related
ARNIOE Crossover Prog
AYERS ROCK Jazz Rock/Fusion
BAK Experimental/Post Metal
BAKERY Heavy Prog
BECAUSE OF GHOSTS Post Rock/Math rock
IVAN BERTOLLA Progressive Metal
BRAINSTORM Psychedelic/Space Rock
BREAKING ORBIT Heavy Prog
CHRIS BROOKS Progressive Metal
CALIGULA'S HORSE Progressive Metal
CHAOS DIVINE Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
THE CHURCH Prog Related
CIRCLES Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
COSMIC NOMADS Heavy Prog
BEN CRAVEN Crossover Prog
CYBOTRON Progressive Electronic
DEAD CAN DANCE Prog Folk
DEAD LETTER CIRCUS Neo-Prog
DEAD LETTER OPENER Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
THE DEAD SEA Post Rock/Math rock
THE DEATH COBRA Heavy Prog
DIRTY THREE Post Rock/Math rock
VIRGIL DONATI Jazz Rock/Fusion
DRUNKEN GUNMEN Psychedelic/Space Rock
ENNÏS TÓLA Crossover Prog
ENTER TWILIGHT Progressive Metal
FEARSCAPE Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
FRACTURE Progressive Metal
FRATERNITY Eclectic Prog
GALADRIEL Prog Folk
HALCYON Experimental/Post Metal
HEIRS Experimental/Post Metal
HEMINA Progressive Metal
HOTEL WRECKING CITY TRADERS Psychedelic/Space Rock
IRONWOOD Experimental/Post Metal
KAISER AND THE MACHINES OF CREATION Progressive Metal
ARIEL KALMA Progressive Electronic
KANGURU Indo-Prog/Raga Rock
KARNIVOOL Heavy Prog
KATABASIS Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
KETTLESPIDER Heavy Prog
PAUL KIDNEY EXPERIENCE Psychedelic/Space Rock
LAURA Post Rock/Math rock
A LONELY CROWD Heavy Prog
THE LONGEST DAY Psychedelic/Space Rock
IAN MACFARLANE Progressive Electronic
MACKENZIE THEORY Jazz Rock/Fusion
MADDEN AND HARRIS Prog Folk
THE MASTERS APPRENTICES Proto-Prog
MENISCUS Experimental/Post Metal
THE MERLIN BIRD Prog Folk
MARIO MILLO Symphonic Prog
MONTRESOR Heavy Prog
MUSHROOM GIANT Psychedelic/Space Rock
MYRIAD Psychedelic/Space Rock
NE OBLIVISCARIS Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
CHRIS NEAL Crossover Prog
NEATH Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
NEXUS Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
NIMROD Crossover Prog
NOCTIS Experimental/Post Metal
GAVIN O'LOGHLEN & COTTERS BEQUEST Prog Folk
OCHRE Progressive Metal
THE OVALS Psychedelic/Space Rock
PATCH Crossover Prog
PEAK Progressive Electronic
PIRANA Crossover Prog
PIRATE Heavy Prog
PORTAL Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
PSYCROPTIC Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
PVT (PIVOT) Post Rock/Math rock
QUANDARY Progressive Metal
RAINBOW GENERATOR Progressive Electronic
RAINBOW THEATRE Symphonic Prog
SCLERA Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
SEBASTIAN HARDIE Symphonic Prog
SERIOUS BEAK Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
SH'MANTRA Psychedelic/Space Rock
SLEEPMAKESWAVES Post Rock/Math rock
SNAKES ALIVE Crossover Prog
SOLKYRI Post Rock/Math rock
SPECTRUM Crossover Prog
SQUAT CLUB Heavy Prog
THE SUN BLINDNESS Psychedelic/Space Rock
SUPERDENSECRUSHLOADFACTOR RIO/Avant-Prog
SYZYGY Progressive Metal
TALIESIN Progressive Metal
TAMAM SHUD Crossover Prog
TANGLED THOUGHTS OF LEAVING Post Rock/Math rock
TARAMIS Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
THE THIRD ENDING Crossover Prog
THIS IS YOUR CAPTAIN SPEAKING Post Rock/Math rock
TRANSCENDING MORTALITY Progressive Metal
TULLY Eclectic Prog
UMLÄUT Eclectic Prog
UNITOPIA Crossover Prog
VANISHING POINT Progressive Metal
VAUXDVIHL Progressive Metal
VIRGIN BLACK Experimental/Post Metal
VOYAGER Progressive Metal
WHEN DAY DESCENDS Experimental/Post Metal
TAL WILKENFELD Jazz Rock/Fusion
WINDCHASE Symphonic Prog
WITHOUTENDING Progressive Metal

Of these bands there are many that come from the 70s era, such as Tully, Spectrum, Daevid Allen, Tamam Shud, Rainbow Theatre and Sebastian Hardie, but lately there has been an upsurgence of Oz Prog of recent times, making an impact in the prog community such as great bands like Breaking Orbit, Anubis, Hemina, Syzygy, and Unitopia. 

Enjoy this blog as I unveil the world of Australian Prog.

-------------

Replies:
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 09:09
Sydney Australia

An iconic place with a Harbour Bridge and Opera House. Here's a photo I took in Sydney last week.

From this beautiful State comes a very accomplished band that have released 2 excellent albums.

Anubis
Anubis picture

The debut album is:

Anubis 230503 album cover

The line up of the album is

- Robert James Moulding / vocals, percussion, bass
- David Eaton / keyboards, vocals, guitars
- Douglas Skene / guitars, vocals
- Nick Antoinette / bass, vocals
- Steven Eaton / drums, vocals
- Dean Bennison / guitars, lap steel, vocals

It mixes 70s style Pink Floyd music with a modern Mellotron sound. There is a lot of electric guitar soloing, and melodic vocals. The effects of water flowing, phones ringing and and spoken narrative add to the ominous atmospheres. There is an ambient sound and at times it is punctuated with heavy guitar and percussion. 

The second album is the latest:

A Tower of Silence

Anubis A Tower Of Silence album cover

I wrote a review after the band sent out a promo copy for review,

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=20315" rel="nofollow -
 A towering symphonic journey of compelling concepts.

Anubis have a commanding sound with swathes of synths and electrifying guitars. Hailing from Australia, not renowned for its prog output, the band fly the flag with admirable virtuosity proving that excellent prog does not necessarily have to come from UK, USA, Italy or other far off places. The music deviates from spell binding synth soaked ambience to heavy crunching guitars. At times there are complex time signatures and at other times the melody dominates with a simple chord progression. Anubis create soundscapes of poignant themes and glorious lengthy instrumental breaks. There is a tension of light and dark with shades of light and dark using a variation of styles that range from symphonic to Neo Prog. The actual concept according to the band's website is based on the "Earthbound spirit of an 11 year old pauper's daughter, lost within the walls of the Victorian poor asylum in which she lived and died, and how she became trapped there" and is now in limbo crying out for release. Interestingly enough I never interpreted it as such but it certainly holds interest as a compelling tale of someone attempting to escape entrapment. The tale is akin to Edgar Allan Poe's 'The Cask of Amontillado' where the villain entombs his nemesis in stone walls brick by brick in a tower, thus silencing his jibes once and for all. The album cover depicts an object trapped in time, a stop watch floats in an orb discarded on a desolate landscape. The vibrant blue is a striking design evoking pure images on a crystalline palette. The gatefold has a vibrant design of sparks trailing to a darkened sky. The booklet is adorned with a closeup of the clock, and inside are the lyrics. The CD also has an enigmatic clock design tying in with the theme of time standing still.

'The Passing Bell' is such a majestic piece of music, a 17 minute epic, wiith magnificent structures, odd time sigs, and organic flowing music encompassing many emotional resonances. I particularly like the way the song shifts into several pentatonic sigs, notably the guitar riff. The searing lead break over shimmering Hammond and pounding drums of war round off the dramatic epic feel. Pink Floyd springs to mind at times in terms of style. The vocals are replete with questions to invoke consideration; "Where is he who can't be found, where is she who calls me fear, who are you to call me here." The ambience of sustained keys and spacey effects is a mesmirising soundscape that will pervade throughout the album. There is a sudden sig change and intense vocals; "I'm feeling no connection to those who cage me here, I'm feeling no protection from the words I hear." The earthbound spirit is now calling out for redemption from the corruptible but immortal state, reaching out an unlineal hand as it were to no avail. A bell tolls with sweet synth tones leading to the next section. Ambience permeates the atmosphere, as gentle piano continues to the next verse; "I wish I could stay by your side again." The concept of searching for spiritual enlightenment appears to be the main focus, but once one knows the main premise it is actually the cries of a spirit who desires the things once enjoyed; "I wish I could pray again". She may have lost faith due to the terrible things she has had to endure, but she is searching for assurance that what she once believed is the truth; the things we may take for granted are now foremost on her mind as she is helpless to sense and to touch and to feel, well at least that is my take on it. The drums and vocals at the end are portentous of impending doom, or it could be a gateway to a new enlightenment. This is perhaps the best song on the album with some of the most inspired riffing and expressive playing by all concerned and especially the expressive vocals of Robert James Moulding.

This moves seamlessly into 'Archway of Tears' with delightful acoustic twin work virtuoso musicianship of Douglas Skene and Dean Bennison. The lyrics continue the darker themes; "evil woman with dark stare, said I was the cause of this, I lay upon the covered floor, as the tears stream down my face, I shiver from the cold night's breath, whispering my name". The vocals are clear and have a passionate and vibrant tone. This song is more like the Neo Prog of Pendragon, IQ or Arena. The acoustic phrases and mellotrons work beautifully with each other. The echoes of heavy steps at the end are foreboding perhaps signifying someone leaving the archway, escaping the tragedy that has befallen them metaphorically.

The melody is strong with 'This Final Resting Place' and I am particularly taken with the everpresent sparkling organ played by David Eaton. It is a dynamic sound from Anubis that is generated using layered multi tracking and very powerful keyboards and guitar. The glockenspiel is a nice touch and this song is one of the more reflective tracks about death. 'A Tower of Silence' is a slow melancholy piece with some potent lyrics about the tragedy of death and the spirit looks out of her silent tower envying the living humans; "lives that change, feel so light, bright, white". The lead guitar builds into the instrumental over some gorgeous organ and the percussion embellishments of Moulding. The song changes with acoustic picking and synth layers. The lyrics may be interpreted as dealing with grief and how time heals the pain; "in time you'll see, no time to grieve." The lead break that follows is vibrant with high string bends and strong sustain. The musicianship enhances the mood of sadness and reflections of a spirit who is trapped in a sepulchral tomb not able to experience the human senses; "I cannot see, I cannot breathe, I cannot feel my love." A simply haunting song that grows on you with every listen.

'Weeping Silence' is a shorter song that has beautiful music and soft harmonies; "who would bring me to this place and never show their face, they beat me to believe and push me on my knees." This track has a nice melody especially when the vocals sing; "I remain alone and faithful misguided by angels." The thunder and storm effects lead to the ominous drone of 'And I Wait for my World to End'. A spacey sound is punctuated by driving lead guitar riffage and a pulsing bassline by Nick Antoinette. The time sig is odd and especially the percussion sparks with vitality. The melody is memorable and it has a fantastic bridge with heavy distortion and Moulding's vocals sound like Roger Waters at his most manic. The ascending chord changes have a dark feel as it builds to an outbreak of more grinding organ leading to the chorus.

'The Holy Innocent' is a measured metrical shift with a steady rhythm. The lyrics are the protagonist crying out, desperately pleading; "I want to hear your voice calling out my name, with your words I'm paralysed, I need to hear them all the same." The piano motif is lovely and imposing lead guitar swells create an atmosphere of melancholia. The music sounds like Porcupine Tree or the style of IQ in places. The protagonist declares; "I live inside this cage." Escape seems impossible and it appears that she is eternally entombed; "And this dream I dream it has no sound as I lay still beneath the ground." The song ends with an incredible saxophone solo, as good as Dick Parry or Jaxon. It really lifts the music to another level and, as icing on the cake, makes this one of the classic songs on the album that should be heard by anyone who enjoys virtuoso prog. The way the song fades out with scorching sax and keyboard pads is similar to Pink Floyd's 'Money'. The clock ticking further cements this impression of sounding like "Dark Side of the Moon" in places.

A tolling piano note opens 'All That Is', a three part multi movement suite. It features in the first section 'Light of Change' mellotron dominating until heavier guitar riffs come in, and sporadic drumming. The verses include chiming keys, aggressive drums and reflective vocals; "I scale these walls that I can't see, they make no sound, they whisper to me, rescue me, from within". The way the quivering Hammond organ sound grinds in always is an effective augmentation, and there is a dreamy synth passage leading to the second section, 'The Limbo of Infants'. The cadence picks up, and the vocals are more urgent; "you and I will never know we lost that chance some time ago." Another lead break resounds with spacey textures and we are into the last section with 'Endless Opportunity'. There are choral intonations and the layered music fades out as the choral section is mixed to the front. At this point we can hear the harmonies, soaring and spiritually edifying. It sounds as if the angels have arrived and finally released the entombed spirit, well I like a happy ending so I am sticking to that.

At the end of the album there is a lasting impression that we have heard some accomplished musicianship with powerful conceptual themes. There are parts of this album that feature incredibly proficient musicianship. It washes over the listener evoking reflective thoughts and spiritual guidance. The lyrics focus on finding answers and are typically obscure enough for one to make up their own minds as to what the themes are conveying. It is certainly one of the better Neo prog albums with strong symphonic nuances throughout, especially coming from Australia, and I am so glad I was priveliged to hear such a wonderful concept album from Anubis.

Try them out here!

-------------

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 11:59
yay!

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: ScorchedFirth
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 12:36
I didn't realise I wanted this until now, but now I realise I definitely I do! I was born in Australia, but moved to Britain around the year 2000. I've only just been getting into the aussie prog scene, but there seems a lot more to it than I had previously assumed.

So... should I suggest the wiggles to the submission team for addition to the archives, or is someone else going to do that?

-------------
breathing, eating, defecating, screwing, drinking, spewing, sleeping...

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 13:16
Very good Job Clap  Can we expect a chronological history ?

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 13:27

Yeahhh...The Masters Apprentices!!

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 13:37
Woohoo! I'm gonna follow this blog!

-------------

Posted By: andrea
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 14:13
Excellent start! I will follow this blog...

By the way, a little contribute:
AUGIE MARCH, from Melbourne. Maybe not enough prog for this site but... Have a try!

More info:
http://www.augiemarch.com.au/" rel="nofollow - http://www.augiemarch.com.au
http://www.myspace.com/augiemarch" rel="nofollow - http://www.myspace.com/augiemarch

-------------
http://italianprogmap.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - ITALIAN PROG MAP - A journey through the Italian Progressive Rock

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 18:03
Cool, I will definitely be following this!  

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 07:40
Thanks for all the nice compliments! I will service the thread to the best of my ability and ensure that Australian prog gains some serious attention. I am going to attempt to do this in a kind of alphabetical order.

Next is...

AEON OF HORUS

This Tech/ Extreme metal band hail from Canberra. They have a self titled Ep:

and an album" The Embodiment of Light and Dark", mixing brutal riffing with melodic touches. 

Aeon Of Horus The Embodiment of Darkness and Light album cover

The members on the album are:

- Andy Annand - Vocals, Keyboards
- Ben Hocking - Drums
- Chris Pratt - Bass 
- Barry Feeney - Guitar

A review by UMUR:

Review by  http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=16511" rel="nofollow - UMUR  
Special Collaborator Honorary Collaborator

3 stars "The Embodiment of Darkness and Light" is the debut full-length studio album by Australian death metal act Aeon of Horus. The album was released in November 2009 and is a self-released affair.

On "The Embodiment of Darkness and Light"Aeon of Horus play technical/ progressive death metal. The tracks are pretty complex in structure and there is an emphasis on technical playing. There are melodic playing too though and atmospheric sections. While the playing is skillfully executed I´m not as impressed by the songwriting. There doesn´t always seem to be a goal to the many ideas and sometimes the songs sound like they are just made out of lot of different ideas but not with a full song in mind. In that respect the music on "The Embodiment of Darkness and Light" somewhat reminds me of the music by an act like Anata. That means a lot of skillful technical playing and impressive ideas but songs that lack memorability and direction. The fact that the sound production is a bit thin (I can´t for the life of me detect that there is any bass playing on the album) doesn´t help on my impression of the album either.

So all in all "The Embodiment of Darkness and Light" is a pretty standard technical/ progressive death metal album. The most interesting thing about the album is the musicianship, so while the tracks come off a bit disjointed and lacking memorable moments, the strong musicianship saves much. I guess a 3 star rating is warranted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A taste of their music - "As The Earth Shatters" - this begins with ambient atmospherics and then gets into a very complex metal riff and then extreme growls in the vox. The lead break is incredible, very original style. It should appeal to fans of Opeth, Death and Psycroptic.

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 07:52
Next:

Ahkmed

Ahkmed picture

A space rock 3 piece unit that released 3 singles, and an EP in 2006 Chicxulub:

plus an album in 2009 called Distance:

Band members are:

- John-Paul Caligiuri / drums, vocals
- Carlo Iacovino / guitar
- Dan McNamara / bass

only 1 review of the album is on PA but you can hear some of their music here:

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 08:04
Next is...

Alarum

This Melbourne Tech metal band are akin to Cynic or Pestilence in style. Growling vocals, ad some clean, like Opeth, and incorporating very technical guitar work, intricate time sigs and a jazz metal style. The lead guitars re incredible and the voice sounds like Believer at times. The band released 3 albums:

1999 - Fluid Motion

2004 - Eventuality

2011 - Natural Causes

a review by UMUR:

Review by  http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=16511" rel="nofollow - UMUR  
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=16511" rel="nofollow">
4 stars "Natural Causes" is the 3rd full-length studio album by Australian progressive metal act Alarum. The album was released through Willowtip Records in October 2011. It´s the band´s first album since "Eventuality... (2004)", so "Natural Causes" has been a long time coming. I guess all good come to those who wait, because "Natural Causes" has certainly been worth the long wait.

The band pretty much continue the progressive death/thrash metal style they played on "Eventuality... (2004)", but it´s obvious that they have grown as songwriters in the intermediate years. The music is influenced by acts like Cynicand Pestilence ("Spheres (1993)" era). Excellent fusion tinged drumming, jazzy sections, a very busy and audible bass and riffs played with great technical skill. The vocals are not growling, but frontman/bassist Mark Palfreymanrather sings in a harsh type thrashy singing style. He also sings clean vocals which remind me slightly of the flat and toneless vocals of Page Hamilton from Helmet. His vocal style took a bit of warming up to for me, but repeated listens have revealed that they suit the rest of the music well. The clean vocals provide the music with an alternative vibe, but it´s not the most dominant feature on the album.

The sound production is detailed and suits the music well. I could have wished for a bit more power and maybe a bit more "open" sound, but it´s not a big issue and I´m pretty sure this is exactly how the band want the album to sound, because "Eventuality... (2004)" had a somewhat similar sound. The sound has the effect on the music, that even the most harsh parts sound pleasant and almost calm. I guess sophisticated isn´t the worst term to use in this case.

"Natural Causes" has taken me a while to get into and I´d call it a grower. For me it´s been about accepting that the sound production isn´t based on power and aggression but rather on sophistication and detail, but once I´ve gotten past my initial not so positive reaction, "Natural Causes" has become quite an excellent listen. Alarum are certainly an act who has found their own sound while still progressing and I find that admirable. A 4 star (80%) rating is deserved.

some taste of their music - well worth checking out!

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 08:21

Alchemist

Alchemist picture

Alchemist hail from Canberra, another technical extreme metal band, with a difference as they implement spacey sounds and atmospherics into the metal riffing. 6 albums have been released:

1996 - Jar of Kingdom

1995 - Lunasphere

1997 - Spiritech

2001 - Organasm

2003 - Austral Alien

2007 - Tripsis

The music ranges from spacey ambience to brutal growls and intricate riffing with technical percussion. The psychedlic sounds are enhanced by brutal vocals and atmospheric melodies. 

A prime example of the band at their best can be heard here from "Organasm":

and from "Spiritech":

A review of Spiritech by Bonnek:

Review by  http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=25702" rel="nofollow - Bonnek  
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal & Heavy Prog Teams
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=25702" rel="nofollow">
4 stars If you think that a prog band should have at least one member dressed in a long cape, and/or feature a keyboard player going tweedeledoo on his organ, or should be all about album side long tracks with lots of guitar solos and/or weird mathematics in the time signature area, then you can stop reading this review right away and start doing more interesting things like preparing a meal for your beloved. If however, your prog rock can be a no-nonsense metal attack from outer space, embedding influences from many musical dark forces, you better bare with me as Alchemist might be just the band for you!

Ok, now that we have the non believers out of the way, let's get to the point. After two inconspicuous death metal albums, Alchemist took a drastic turn towards a more diverse musical idiom and delivered their most varied, most progressive and best album to date. On Spiritech they play a brutal, intense but intelligent take on space metal. The music is highly eclectic and can be traced back to many sources with a good balance between atmosphere, melody and power.

First of all Voivod comes to mind, somewhere between the scourging fury of Dimension Hatross and their Floyd covers Astronomy Domine and Nile Song That leads to a second obvious influence: Pink Floyd from the 60's. The melodies are very psychedelic and eastern tinged, complete with tribal drumming and even featuring a chilling rendition of the Careful With That Axe Eugene scream by their excellent vocalist.

Talking about the vocalist, he's quite a versatile chap, next to the mentioned reproduction of Eugene, he varies between a low register clean voice, a hoarse 90's style Killing Joke bellowing and coarse but soulful metal grunts in the vein of Entombed (or Motorhead if the Entombed reference would scare you). Of course, the first time you will miss these subtle differences but repeated listens reveal his range!

Now, Killing Joke you say? What kind of prog is that? None at all of course. As I mentioned somewhere before, the band takes influences from many sources: metal obviously, psychedelic/space/prog or whatever you name it, ethnic influences and also new wave. Especially the first generation gothic bands that used haunted atmospheres and hypnotizing tribal drumming, like Bauhaus, Killing Joke and Siouxsie are in the melting point.

I've been longwinded enough so I will abstain from track by track reviewing. They are all excellent anyway. Instead I have got one more argument to make. Why 5 stars? Well to start with, you must have guessed I deem this band very high. Their unique approach to space rock combined with their energy and song skills makes them one of my favourite bands of the millennium era years. All of their albums from Spiritech onwards are 4 stars. This one gets one on top because it is their best. A most diverse release with a prominent prog dose.

A sad note to conclude: This album is not available for sale anymore! So why did I bother you for so long? Well you can find most of the songs back on a compilation album called 'Embryonics 90-98'. I'll be delighted though if it sees a full re-release but I'm afraid it may be not commercial enough for that. Thanks for you patient indulgence and give them a shot!

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 08:46
Next a famous artist from Melbourne, the incomparable:

Daevid Allen

A man who needs know introduction for those familiar to the Canterbury Scene. Of course he was a main instigator of nutter prog such as Gong and their Radio Gnome Invisible Flying Teapot trilogy. The acid fuelled music was always whimsical from Allen's solo albums and he injected a harmless fascinating brand of poetry into the lyrics. His vocal style was acid folk and his themes were definitely influenced by certain substances, but it was always an endearing sound generated that has captured generations over the years. He lives in Byron Bay now. 

He has released a plethora of albums to savour.

The 1970s

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=17999" rel="nofollow">
3.18 | 30 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=17999" rel="nofollow - Bananamoon
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=17983" rel="nofollow">
3.73 | 22 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=17983" rel="nofollow - Good Morning!
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=18473" rel="nofollow">
3.18 | 23 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=18473" rel="nofollow - Now is the happiest time of your life
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28299" rel="nofollow">
3.00 | 9 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28299" rel="nofollow - N' Existe Pas!

The 1980s

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28300" rel="nofollow">
3.93 | 6 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28300" rel="nofollow - Divided Alien Playbax 80

The 1990s

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28301" rel="nofollow">
3.80 | 5 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28301" rel="nofollow - Who's Afraid? ( with Kramer )
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28302" rel="nofollow">
4.00 | 1 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28302" rel="nofollow - Twelve Selves
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28303" rel="nofollow">
3.12 | 7 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28303" rel="nofollow - Dreamin' A Dream
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28304" rel="nofollow">
3.00 | 2 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28304" rel="nofollow - Hit Men (with Kramer)
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28306" rel="nofollow">
2.96 | 5 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28306" rel="nofollow - Eat Me Baby I'm A Jelly Bean
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28307" rel="nofollow">
3.85 | 8 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28307" rel="nofollow - Stroking The Tail Of The Bird Parts 1 & 2
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28308" rel="nofollow">
2.18 | 2 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28308" rel="nofollow - Twenty Two Meanings (The Art Of Glissando Guitar Vol. 1) (with Harry Williamson)

The 2000s

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=38070" rel="nofollow">
5.00 | 1 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=38070" rel="nofollow - Australia Aquaria
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=37975" rel="nofollow">
0.00 | 0 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=37975" rel="nofollow - Soundbites 4 Tha ReVelation

Live albums

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28305" rel="nofollow">
0.00 | 0 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28305" rel="nofollow - Divided Alien Clockwork Band

A review of the Popular "Good Morning" album:

Review by  http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=17723" rel="nofollow - Warthur  
COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=17723" rel="nofollow">
4 stars Daevid Allen's first solo album after his resignation from Gong after You is a collaboration with Euterpe, a mainly acoustic group of Spanish musicians. The album is a bit more cohesive than his previous solo effort, Bananamoon, and finds Allen in a contemplative mood. His famed sense of humour and whimsy is still present, of course, but this time around there's heavy doses of reflection and ponderings on the way people hurt each other and the struggle not to repeat the mistakes of the past - topics which are of great interest to Allen, but which had only been communicated through whimsical comedy in his previous work.
Euterpe are a fine backing group for Allen's musings, Gilli Smyth is of course on hand to add Gong-esque space whispers, and the album comes to a peak with The Wise Man In Your Heart, on which fellow Gong veterans Mike Howlett and Pierre Moerlen guest, and which in its swirling futuristic-psychedelic rhythms seems to provide a precedent for the dance music of a couple of decades later. On the whole, Allen couldn't have judged this one better - the album not only reassures fans that he's still the mischievous wizard of times past, but also has a distinctly different sound from his work with Gong, proving that there's more to Allen than pothead pixies.

Some of his music can be heard here:

Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 09:11
Next:

Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega picture 

Space rock from Brisbane, in the same style as Hawkwind, and in fact the band played a song on a Hawkwind tribute album. The chugging guitars with repetitive rhythms are prevalent and the spacey effects such as one would hear on a Hawkwind album. The guitars are spacey using a wah wah effect, over lengthy jamming guitars, and there are psychedelic lyrics about aliens, mind trips, space travel, and other mind expanding topics.

The band released 3 studio albums:

2001 - Electronic Mind Project

2004 - People of Earth, We have come to Blow your Mind

2007 - The Psychodelometer

1 Live album in 2002 - Live at Terra Australia

The latest line up:

- Paul Power / guitar, vocals
- Greg / bass
- Stuart Hodgson / drums

A clip from the Terra concert performing The Eye!

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 09:24
Next:

Altera Enigma

A tech metal band that have released a great album with intricate time sigs, metal riffs, and varied structures. The bio written by the band reads that the band incorporate "modulating time signatures, rich jazz-fusion inspired chord progressions and memorable, emotion driven melodies, and expressive, stunning lead work. Always conscious of melody and utilizing tight, powerful arrangements, their music takes listeners on an aural journey via sophisticated harmony and elaborate, engaging rhythms." This is an apt description of the music, and it sounds like the type of metal generated by Liquid Tension Experiment.  

The Line up:

- Jason De Ron / guitars,bass,keyboards,samples,additional vocals
- Jefray Arwadi / guitars,bass,vocals,samples
- Kenny Cheong / bass

The album:

Altera Enigma Alteration album cover

A track from "Alteration"

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 19:50
Next:

The Amenta

More brutal speed death thrash extreme technical metal with this lineup:

Cesium 137 - vocals 
Ethion - guitars 
Endrin - bass 
Chlordane - keyboards 
David Haley (Diazonon) - drums

The band released 2 albums:

2004 - Occasus

The Amenta Occasus album cover

2008 - N0N

The Amenta n0n album cover

Australian metal is often fast and furious but these guys, like Psycroptic, take it to the next length, with intricate riffing and complex structures. The vocals are often growls and the riffs are galloping and frenetic, with massive attacks of percussion and bass. 

Here's a taste of their brutality - dark lyrics, black metal sounds, breakneck speed drums and gravel vox with some interesting key pads to add ominous atmosphere.  Not for everybody! But at 2:40 it settles into a beautiful spacey keyboard sound then really powerful riffing guitars break through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts2X_e2TK_4&feature=fvwrel

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 20:05
Next:

Apricot Rail

Apricot Rail picture

Perth Post Rock band with emphasis on guitar hypno riffs and beautiful wind section floating along with clarinet and flute. The ethereal atmospheres may remind one of Tortoise, especially with the use of drums and strings. 

No reviews yet but I can describe it as very relaxing, shoe gaze music, with mesmirising guitar note repetition, and ambient textures. It is very beautiful music, and at times sends you off to sleep, at least mentally, as it has the effect of soothing the senses. This is definitive chill music, with very strong references to Sigur Ros, without the vox, and Kayo Dot, without the quirkiness. One to try for sure, after a hard day at work with the feet up and the curtains drawn.

The line up:

- Jack Quirk / Guitar, Glock, Trumpet, Electronica, Voice
- Daniel Burt / Bass guitar, Saxophone
- Matt Saville / Drum Kit/Percussion
- Mayuka Juber / Clarinet, Flute, Keyboard, Melodica, Voice
- Ambrose Nock / Guitar, Glock, Keyboard

The album:

The band released "A Public Space" in 2009:

Apricot Rail Apricot Rail album cover

The music:

From that album here are some samples:

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 20:20
Next:

Aquanaut

Aquanaut picture

Psychedelic Space Rockers with very obscure following, hardly any reviews and no youtube clips at all! Despite the obscurity they released an EP and 2 albums and have a small following. Not to be confused with Aquanaut from Canada, the stoner doom band, this Australian band have some interesting albums to discover.

I would describe the music as free form stoner spaced up mostly instrumental. The vox are a very downer style, bleak but captivating, with all the weird guitars and off sync drumming. Great production and worth listening to for Space Psych prog addicts.

The Line up:

- Damien Salomons / keyboards
- Luc P / guitars, vocals
- George Velenik / drums
- Carl Belle / bass, vocals

The EP:

2008 - The Taste Maker Suite

The albums:

2009 - The Psychonaut

2010 - Golden

My review:

Review by  http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=20315" rel="nofollow - AtomicCrimsonRush  
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team

4 stars A hidden treasure of space rock from Australia.

Aquanaut are an obscure Australian Psych Space rock band with 2 great psychedelic offerings. This album "Golden", their 2010 and latest release, is an example of the type of sound found on space rock albums from the likes of Hawkwind, or The Ovals, but with sudden time shifting tempos like Cardiacs.

The vocals are often echoing like Dave Brock, and the guitars lock into hypnotic riffs, though not as consistent as Hawkwind riffs. The band prefer to veer into odd guitar sounds and varied time sigs, making them a different beast than the typical Space rock approach.

"Golden" opens with 'Days of Pollen', a raucous guitar approach and the strong vocals of Luc P also on guitars. The keyboards of Damien Salomons are prominent, as are the drums of George Velenik, and bass of Carl Belle. Songs like 'Jaguar Politics' certainly remind me of the manic sounds of The Mars Volta or the frenetic pacing of Cardiacs. It is a solid track that highlights the unusual style of Aquanaut. The lyrics are as odd as space rock gets, such as "Hall ways nightmares, watching stars burst, fourth wind, Hallowed, sun burnt yellow".

The very fast pace of 'Who Got Horsie' is quite astounding for a space rock band. There is a heavy riffing guitar distortion that drives it along. The odd vocal delivery is an original touch, even sounding machine like at one point. There is a time sig change at 3 minutes that breaks up the speed, but the heavy chugging riffs return later and are augmented by spacey keyboards and horse sounds.

'Way of the Wolf' has heavy guitars crunching along with layered lead guitar phrases. The vocals are again strangely delivered with psych lyrics, "In ancient Egypt, oh Haiti Princess, the devil calling the angel falling, the book of fever, break the receiver, a pawn of its mind, it is forsaken, the nervous caller, forever praying." The lead solo sections are terrific, very fast and hypnotic over all the other guitar sounds. It also has a strong time sig change, and I was reminded of the type of music that Cardiacs might come up with on their masterpiece "Sing To God". The keyboards at the end make a fitting closing coda to this excellent song.

'Machine Lives' comes after seamlessly flowing and features some wonderful retro keyboards. The vocals are confident as usual and the guitars ceaselessly chime out spacey textures. For me the synth lines are the best part about this track, reminding me of Gary Numan's style or The Human League. The percussion is all over the place and really boost the feel of the song and I love the spacey effects on the vox at about 2:30. The lyrics are again very strange, "When in doubt first law, harness light beams, circuit break instinct, synchronising."

'Severed Heads' is a steady tempered song with a cool guitar phrase, and some nice wah wah effects as it builds to some spacey textures. The lead solo is smooth and cruises nicely over the jaunty rhythms. Again, this is a song that is well performed and will grow on the listener over time. It transitions with a sonic static sound.

'The Answer' has an effect on the voice and a steady beat. The lyrics are psychedelic and the voice becomes cleaner as he sings, "sidewalk sins and dirt cops, calls me Betty to my face, walks around in a disgrace, technophobe it knows its days, are numbered yes, the gamma haze, martian girls and secret sun, snort the coke from seven tongues." The Australian accent is more noticeable on this song for some reason, reminding me of Midnight Oil's sound or The Angels. There is still a spacey section and lots of synth in the instrumental passage. The low buzzing retro synth is a nice touch and this is one of the shorter tracks.

A drone and prominent synth begins 'This Omniverse', and I admire that Moog sound and chugging guitar rhythm. The vox only come in briefly on the 2 verses, with weird lyrics, "time is a snake, watched it from space", but the rest is really a feast of retro synth and mechanised percussion. I like this one very much especially how it chugs along on those guitars with synth lines taking over powering out a rather odd melody.

Next is 'Skylock (t.i.g.o.f.s.) which stands for "the infinite grace of falling stars". This has a fast guitar rhythm and the chanting title with machine vox, otherwise it's instrumental. It takes off with an effective lead break and some galloping distorted riffs. It is great the way the melody is repeated but gets lower and lower on descending notes until a fast trilling electric guitar phrase and very odd time sig. Interestingly, there are no synth solos on this one, rather it relies on guitars. Eventually it slows down with acoustics and ethereal spacey atmospherics. The ending is classic space prog, with the high pitch echoing guitars and sustained key pads.

'Chameleon' is another instrumental with one chant, "All is said and done, I'm a chameleon." The guitars are aggressive and there are some awesome riffs that lock in. Guitars are the emphasis, especially on the extended lead breaks, but there are some nice spacey nuances and electric piano that augment the sound.

'Think About' closes the album with more unusual lyrics, "Hologram mirror haze, feel so cold empty hall, machine doubt, silver walls." It has a bright uptempo sound, and cool droning synth with spacey swirls. This one is more focussed on synthesizers and has a fast percussion attack over slow verse phrases. It is an effective device and the low buzzing synth provides an ethereal soundscape. The instrumental has a simple chord structure but it is effective over the frenetic rhythms. The lead guitar solo comes in with some nice chord shapes and hammer ons, with soaring string bends. The synth effects to follow are mesmirising, and have that retro Moog sound heard in the 80s. It ends with more spaciness with a swathe of sustained synth grinding.

Overall, "Golden" is a hidden treasure that many still need to discover. The spacey sound is a delight, but the real drawcard for me are the way that the band structure the songs, with sudden tempo shifts and lengthy solos on guitar and keyboards, and none of the songs sound alike. It is a diverse album yet somehow maintains that original sound of Aquanaut. It should appeal to space rock fans, and is yet another of those obscure bands from Australia yet to be discovered.

The music:

Listen to their albums in FULL for free or purchase here at official website:

http://aquanaut.bandcamp.com/album/golden" rel="nofollow - http://aquanaut.bandcamp.com/album/golden

Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 20:41
Next:

Aragon

Aragon picture

Neo prog that is quite hard to find in many countries, but nevertheless is great music to indulge in. There is a heavy emphasis on keyboards, and many time changes on the album tracks. The vox of Les are clean but often raspy delivered with a lot of passion. The music is overall a softer form of rock, with interjections of distorted guitars, and a steady percussive beat dominates the sound.  

The current line up:

- John Poloyannis / guitars, back vocals 
- Les Dougan / vocals 
- Tom Behrsing / keyboards, piano

The albums:

1987 - Don't Bring The Rain

1992 - The Meeting

1993 - Rocking Horse and Other Stories

1995 - Mouse

1998 - Mr Angel

2004 - The Angel's Tear

A review of The Angel's Tear:

Review by  http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=20269" rel="nofollow - SouthSideoftheSky  
Collaborator Symphonic Team

4 stars A mature band

It is sadly not an easy task to find the albums by Aragon, and indeed their previous, fifth, album, Mr. Angel, still eludes me. This sixth, and to date latest, release of the band took some effort to track down, but it was well worth that effort. After having reviewed the whole discography of Aragon (minus Mr. Angel), I feel that The Angel's Tear is the album that best brings together the respective strengths of all their previous releases while at the same time avoiding most of their flaws and also at the same time introducing something brand new into the band's sound. All this helps them to sound more confident and also more original than they did on their early releases. The vocals of Les Dougan have never sounded as passionate and powerful as they do here and the same must be said of the guitars of John Poloyannis that get a more prominent place in the sound than ever in the past. The lyrics are thoughtful and often existential in nature.

The "mechanical" rhythm section of songs like the opening track, Growing Up In Cuckoo Land, and the midi-like keyboards of the short Discovery might trouble some people, but both tracks grew on me significantly after repeated listens. Indeed, all of the eight songs featured on The Angel's Tear are very strong. Favourite tracks for me include the nine minute In The Name Of God and the almost folky album closer The Silent Field with its Celtic-sounding drums. The album's longest track is the 13 minute title track while the shortest track, the aforementioned Discovery, is just under two minutes. The latter does indeed end rather abruptly and might perhaps have been extended somewhat. Another very short track is the weirdly titled Copper Bob And The Pirates At The Gates Of Dawn. This is actually quite weird musically too and features some notably theatrical "pirate" vocals and an almost Metal-like beat!

There is a nice flow and a good balance throughout the album between acoustic and electrically based songs and between upbeat passages and more serene ones. This makes for a very appealing variation that keeps the album interesting from start to finish and invites recurrent listens. Thankfully, Aragon have also avoided the common pitfall to put too much music on the same album just because the space available on a compact disc allows for it. A running time of just over 40 minutes is often optimal.

If you want to check out Aragon, The Angel's Tear is a great place to start. Let us hope that the band will return with another album in a not too far distant future and that they will also tour and perhaps record a live album/video that brings together songs from throughout their whole career.

Excellent addition!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The music:

Prime examples of Aragon at their best are here!

An amazing epic from the debut!

and the 20 minute Rocking Horse epic!

Official Website!

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/aragon9/index_files/Page346.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/aragon9/index_files/Page346.htm

Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 21:27
Next:

Arcane

Arcane picture

Brisbane heavy prog band that have a prog metal flavour but more melodic. The music may remind some of Porcupine Tree or Angra, that is at times ambient tranquility and ethereal soundscapes that break out into heavy bursts of story distorted guitar riffs. The music sounds similar to Riverside in the vocals and ranges from very heavy guitar to keyboard beauty and very quiet passages to balance the outbreaks of crunching guitar or frenetic keyboard solos. The odd time signatures and song structures with special effects and weird variations in tempo are absolutely captivating. One of the best prog metal bands from Australia without a doubt. They play at Progfest often and are becoming well known world wide thanks to youtube and the official website.  

The current line up:

- Jim Grey / Vocals
- Michael Gagen / Guitars
- Matt Martin / Keyboards
- Brendon Blanchard / Bass
- Blake Coulson / Drums

The albums:

2007 - Ashes

2009 - Chronicles of the Waking Dream

A review:

Special Collaborator Honorary Collaborator

4 stars "Chronicles Of The Waking Dream" is the 2nd full-length studio album by Australian progressive metal act Arcane. The album was released through Arcane Australia in September 2009.

The band released a promising debut album in 2007 called "Ashes", and the dark and melancholic progressive metal style featured on that album is continued and developed further on "Chronicles Of The Waking Dream". While the debut album featured the 24:15 minutes long title track, which was divided into five parts, "Chronicles Of The Waking Dream" takes that concept a little further as all tracks on the album seque into each other to form a regular concept album. Arcane play a layered and keyboard heavy type of progressive metal with both really heavy moments but also mellower emotional sections too. While the instrumental part of the music is impressive enough, it´s the vocals byJim Grey that really set Arcane apart from most other progressive metal acts. He has a very distinct sounding voice and a convincing emotional delivery.

The tracks are structurally challenging, dynamic and it´s hard to pinpoint just one influence. I think I hear influences from both "classic" progressive metal in the vein of Dream Theater, but also influences from the more alternative part of the progressive metal scene. Acts like Riverside and A Perfect Circleprobably aren´t strangers to these guys.

"Chronicles Of The Waking Dream" is not an easy listen and it´s taken me quite a few listens to grasp the full 59:15 minutes long album. There´s simply a lot to take in, but in a positive way. So if you enjoy your progressive metal challenging (not necessarily focused on technical playing though) and delivered with great emotional impact "Chronicles Of The Waking Dream" is definitely a recommended listen. A 4 - 4.5 star (85%) rating is deserved.

My Review:

4 starsArcane are an Australian prog metal band that will appeal to those who love Riverside or other bands who merge heavy riffs with clear singing and intricate compositions. They have an endearing sound that is creative and moves in unexpected directions with odd time shifts and innovative musicianship. Tracks such as the mini epic 'Asylum: Acolyte Zero' have stunning complex structures, with killer riffs, complex times sigs and inject blends of grinding guitars with delightful melodic keyboards. The lengthy instrumental break features Michael Gagen's polished guitar work along with Matt Martin's keyboard wizardry. Jim Grey does a fine job on vocals, and the rhythm machine of Brendon Blanchard's bass and Blake Coulson's drums are wonderful. The double kick drumming is machine like and the song tends to build into heavier sections with faster singing pentameter at 9 minutes. It breaks into a soft vox and gentle piano, then builds into a symphonic soundscape, and some atmospheric choral voices. This is one of the highlights and really impressed me. Another awesome song is 'Fading' beginning with soft vocals and light guitar touches. The piano is lovely and it builds gradually with lead guitar flourishes and some symphonic keys. When the music fades out there is an a capella section for a moment and then grinding metal riffs break through.

The songs blend into each other to create a seamless musical experience with a conceptual framework that has mystical overtones. It involves a protagonist who is losing his grip on reality, perhaps even becoming deranged, and he becomes obsessed with the date of May 26th to the point where it haunts him and has some enigmatic meaning, though we van never be certain of what it all means. At times it is an unsettling excursion into a mentally unbalanced mind, but musically it is always a sheer delight.

The opening songs feature uplifting piano mixed with darker metal riffs, and the idiosyncratic vocals of Grey. The intro is a disjointed voice explaining the importance of May 26, then the music floats over, very melancholy and soft. It builds to heavier tones and segues into the next track.

The instrumental break in 'The Seer' is reminiscent of Dream Theater, with guitar and keyboard trade offs. Overall this track showcases the style of the band that moves from beauty to darker textures. 'The Malice' has a dreamy feel, and the piano instrumental to follow is beautiful. The climax is with the epic 'Asylum: Acolyte Zero'and then it settles into the closing track, a gentle piece called 'Whisper'.

The style of the album is like Pain of Salvation or Riverside, with beautiful moments juxtaposed by outbreaks of heavy guitars. It is an excellent album and yet another example of Australian prog metal at its finest.

The Music:

Promo clip:

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 21:45
Next:

Ariel
Ariel picture

This prog related band was the product of Aus legendary bands Tamam Shud and Spectrum. Members of these bands got together to form a fairly popular band back in the 70s that churned out a swag of albums until a lengthy hiatus and then they surfaced in 2002 to release one more final album. Guitarist/singer Mike Rudd and bassist Bill Putt formed the group and recruited Spectrum members when they dissolved. Their debut "A Strange Fantastic Dream" that came out in 1973 reached #12 on Australian LP charts in 1974. The music is stoner psych with rock guitars and acid fuelled lyrics. They even embarked on a concept album of sorts, and seemed to be exploring the same sound as Nektar or Fuzzy Duck at times. The vocals were well executed and high register at times. The lead guitar solos are excellent, soaring and fast, and the Hammond organ permeates the sound.

The original line up:

Mike Rudd - Lead Vocals/Guitar
Bill Putt - Bass/Backing Vocals
Tim Gaze - Lead Guitar/Backing Vocals
John Mills - Keyboards
Nigel Macara -Drums

2002 line up:

- Mike Rudd / Lead Vocals, Guitars
- Bill Putt / Bass
- Glyn Mason / Guitar, Vocals
- Harvey James / Guitar
- John Lee / drums

The albums:

1974 - A Strange Fantastic Dream

1975 - Rock and Roll Scars

1976 - Goodnight Fiona

2002 - The Jellabad Mutant

The Music from the debut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5aI3F8wiSw&feature=relmfu" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5aI3F8wiSw&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSzqq0Qgggs&feature=relmfu" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSzqq0Qgggs&feature=relmfu

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 22:04
Next:

Arnioe

Arnioe picture

Multi instrumentalist Aron Scharfegger has released a number of albums with soft rock and spacey textures. At times he incorporates other musicians onto the albums, and mostly self produces each release. Many tracks are instrumental and evoke images of beauty and tranquility. The vox at times may remind some of Peter Gabriel such as on "Something Something". Aron refers to his music as Renaissance Space Rock and this is an appropriate description.

The albums:

2007 - Forever Free

2008 - For I've Been There

2009 - Sick Son

2010 - So Heaven Is Gone

2011 - Ate My Words

2012 - One Before X

My review of "Ate My Words":

Review by  http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=20315" rel="nofollow - AtomicCrimsonRush  
Special Collaborator Symphonic Team

3 stars Home grown Aussie multi-instrumentalist Aron Scharfegger's latest album clocks 71 minutes and is purely based on one musical theme. The album is titled "Ate My Words" and he presents the theme in 8 parts on this 2011 release. Aron plays many instruments ranging from guitars, piano, keyboards, synthesizers, percussion, bass guitar and saxophone. There are guest artists on the album that add to the musicscape including Greg Genna on guitar, Chris Fournier on synthesizers, guitar, and bass, as well as vocalist Mahne Dupre and the Kiew Youth Orchestra who play the orchestrated sounds of violins, cellos, basson, and horns. The production is excellent and there are some definite moments of brilliance and an overall consistent sound quality.

Arnioe's instrumental album begins with very spacey synth swirls, very patiently building in intensity from the minimalism of a solo synth to a wall of sound. At 3:40 the organ staccato chords slam in over the manic synthesizers and really lift the ambience to a solid punctuated beat.

Part 2 begins with strange synth effects and a sustained keyboard pad ascending in volume. The spacey phased electric guitar solo is terrific. Some vocalisations are included on this, though incoherent, and they work rather well with the progressive feel of the music.

Part 3 is very different with creepy violins ascending and descending over a strong percussion and synth squiggles. The atmospherics are broken with vocalisations and scats. The heavy guitars come in eventually and overpower the sound.

Part 4 is a plethora of majestic vocals, and a choir with a strong upbeat tempo to drive it. The mood is rather sombre in places and a delightful lead guitar break lifts the mood.

Part 5 is a happier melody and this contrasts sharply with the shadowy bleakness of Track 6. It begins with big booming drum pounding, backmasked creepy vocals and an ethereal violin sound creating a haunting chilling atmosphere. Part 6 is perhaps the darkest track on the album and it builds to a terrific Pink Floyd style guitar piece.

Part 7 is the best track with a killer riff driving it along and some absolutely sensational organ work and very heavy guitars. Lead breaks abound and shift from left to right speaker alternating in volume. The sound is heavier and more forceful bordering on metal. The Hammond sounds are high pitched and very strong.

Part 8 features awesome emotional saxophone playing and a very powerful back beat. The sax reflects the isolation and melancholia of the music. There are some very innovative melodies on display, pretty acoustics, and percussive excellence. The song locks into an elongated Dave Gilmour style lead guitar solo and some spacey effects. Overall the song is another highlight on the album.

Arnioe's latest album is an instrumental treat and has a myriad of emotional mood swings. The musicians are solid performers and there are some real surprises with light and dark textures on the canvas. 3 solid stars for sheer innovation in the compositions and delightful musicianship.

The music:

Promo:

music with Tasmanian images

Official website:

http://www.arnioe.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.arnioe.com/

Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 22:21
Next:

Ayers Rock

Jazz Rock fusion from the 70s released some albums on Mushroom labels. The upbeat tempo and bright guitar playing are a feature, and the vocals are easy on the ears. The lead solos are excellent from Chris Brown and James Doyle. The lengthy instrumental breaks are the main drawcard, especially the twin guitar harmonies. The contribution of Col Loughnan on saxes, clarinet, flute, keyboards, percussion, and vocals is the other reason to check out these rockers. The second album is the proggiest no doubt, but all of their songs have an endearing quality well worth checking out.   

The original line up:

- Chris Brown / guitar, vocals 
- James Doyle / guitar, vocals 
- Mark Kennedy / drums 
- Col Loughnan / saxes, clarinet, flute, keyboards, percussion, vocals 
- Duncan McGuire / bass

The EP:

1974 - Big Red Rock

The albums:

1976 - Beyond

1980 - Hotspell 

My review of "Beyond":

3 stars Ayers Rock came to my attention back in the 70s when I was listening to Skyhooks. The inner cover of "Ego is not a dirty word" had a number of album covers listed as a form of promotion for Mushroom labels, and the iconic image of Ayers Rock on the cover was always something that made me wonder what this band would sound like. Interestingly enough the EP "Big Red Rock" is actually a live album with very rocked up songs sounding nothing like the work on this debut album release. The music on "Beyond" is more jazz fusion, and instrumentals abound, though at times it verges back to the straight forward sound of "Big Red Rock".

The album begins with ethereal atmospherics on 'Moondah (Beyond)' that relies heavily on Col Loughlan's keyboard skills and woodwind. The aboriginal sounds are prevalent using clicking sticks and a didgeridoo droning effect. It breaks into beautiful guitar and keyboard melodies, with chimes and strong percussion. It is a delightful melody and very original sound, and allows for lengthy twin guitar solos using wah wah pedal and tremolo bar. The sax lends a nice jazz edge along with the rocking tempo.

'A Place To Go' features a moderate tempo and a sax melody, and the vocals at last come in. The smooth approach is welcome and sounds a bit bluesy in style. The string section is beautiful on this giving it a symphonic quality. The sound is akin to Santana with the cool guitar solos and breezy tempos. 'Catchanemu' is a showcase for percussionist Mark Kennedy, using a full on drum attack. The sax sounds are prominent and powerfully played by Col. The lead guitar playing is like Carlos Santana, soaring and emotional throughout.

'Song For Darwin' is dedicated to the victims and survivors of the devastating Cyclone Tracey that hit Darwin in 1975 and left thousands homeless just prior to Christmas. The disaster is one of the worst in Australian history and it is nice to hear a song dedicated to the catastrophic event, and this is better than the more popular at the time 'Santa Never Made It Into Darwin'. 'Angel In Disguise' is another instrumental that begins with chimes and sparse piano. It builds with gorgeous violin strings, harps and a full symphonic sound of transfixing beauty. Guitar swells and cymbal splashes add to the light textures. A steady bass sig locks in with a lovely lead guitar solo and spacey keyboard squelches. A very relaxing piece of music is the result, and definitely shows what the band were capable of. It builds to a nice fast tempo and some extreme wah wah guitar finesse.

'Little Kings' finishes the album with a rock song, sounding like Traffic, that is uncharacteristic of the music previous. It certainly wakes you up after the beauty preceding and is a decent way to close things off. I like the sax on this and it has an infectious chorus melody.

Overall this is a solid album from Ayers Rock, though is uneven and inconsistent in terms of the musical approach. Rather than sticking to one style it tends to veer into some odd songs that ruin the overall feel of the album. In any case it is worth seeking out as there is some fine music here and it is a prime example of 70s jazz fusion, and perhaps Ayers Rock's finest recording.

The music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=zGzi0bF5Jc8" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=zGzi0bF5Jc8

Date Posted: October 01 2012 at 05:30
Must be time to get on with bands beginning with B.... will do soon.

BAKERY Heavy Prog

-------------

Posted By: tyranny
Date Posted: October 01 2012 at 06:32
Blackfeathers first album "At The Mountains Of Madness"  was probably one of the few Aussie Prog albums around in 1971. ....could have been the first!!

Date Posted: October 01 2012 at 06:33
Bak

BaK is a duo of composers Beau, guitar/bass/bağlama, and Kit, drums/percussion and keyboards/piano. The band incorporate a variety of styles merging into one project, from symphonic orchestrations, Eastern music, Arabic flavours and distorted metal bites. It is a theatrical treatment that the band desire and the two members write, compose and arrange the original compositions. The recording is based in Sydney and a generous sized crew of talented session musicians impact the overall sound making it full and sweeping, with Symphony Orchestra, on strings, brass, woodwind, Opera Choir, local ethnic musicians playing East Indian styles, and professional singers among others. For all these reasons the band do not perform live, and have only one album at this stage. 

The line up:

- Beau / guitar, bass, bağlama
- Kit / drums, percussion, keyboards, piano

The Album:

BaK Painter album cover

Listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkHRSl5QoKA

More info at : www.bakmusic.com

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2012 at 06:37
Originally posted by tyranny tyranny wrote:

Blackfeathers first album "At The Mountains Of Madness"  was probably one of the few Aussie Prog albums around in 1971. ....could have been the first!!

Ah yes this one has really made an impact online over the years and i wish it was included on PA but alas rejected by the teams.

To hear for one's self it is worth considering. Here's the whole thing!

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2012 at 06:41

It's more psych rock to me, not devoid of prog though. Spectrum - Milesago, released in the same year, is excellent!  

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Date Posted: October 01 2012 at 06:45
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

It's more psych rock to me, not devoid of prog though. Spectrum - Milesago, released in the same year, is excellent!  

Okay fair enough - I just made a thread requesting that the band be included here:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=89868&PID=4627564#4627564" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=89868&PID=4627564#4627564

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2012 at 07:03
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Okay fair enough - I just made a thread requesting that the band be included here:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=89868&PID=4627564#4627564" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=89868&PID=4627564#4627564

They're at least prog-related I reckon, we'll see how it goes.   

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2012 at 07:05
Bakery

Bakery picture

Perth band Bakery began in 1970 in the underground scene releasing a highly regarded debut album "Rock Mass for Love" with the single "No Dying In The Dark". The members of the band at the time were John Worrall, "wild-haired guitarist" Peter Walker (ex-Jelly Roll Bakers), Mal Logan (ex-The Rebels), Eddie McDonald and Hank Davis. A second single appeared, a Deep Purple cover of "Bloodsucker" but they were best remembered for "No Dying in the Dark". The influences of the band were Sabbath, Zeppelin and Purple no doubt, and they seemed to fit into the heavy sound of the early 70s, even charting well in Australia, reaching number 9 with the first single. A second album came out in 1972 "Momento" before they faded into obscurity.

The original lineup:
John Worrall / vocals, flute
Tom Davidson / vocals,
Mark Verschuer / vocals
Eddie McDonald / bass
Rex Bullen / keyboards
Hank Davis / drums

The Albums:

Bakery Rock Mass for Love album cover

Listen to this:

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2012 at 07:23
Next:

Because of Ghosts

Because Of Ghosts picture

Post Math Rock band consisting of Jacob Pearce on drums, samples, glockenspiel, and Reuben Stanton on guitar, accordion, piano. They released three EPs as a duo between 2002 and 2003, "No More Reason, No More Doubt" and "Because of Ghosts EP", and later Domenic Stanton joined the band on bass, glockenspiel, wineglasses. Their album "Make Amends With Your Adversary Before Dawn" resulted in an international release with Japan label Wonderground music. In 2004 on this label they released an EP "Your House is Built on a Frozen Lake". With this they toured and gained significant airplay. 

The lineup:

- Reuben Stanton / guitar, accordion, piano
- Domenic Stanton / bass, glockenspiel
- Jacob Pearce / drums, sampling, vocals, glockenspie

The Albums:

BECAUSE OF GHOSTS Albums (CD, LP, MC, SACD, DVD-A, Digital Media Download)

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=20923" rel="nofollow">
2.00 | 1 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=20923" rel="nofollow - Make Amends With Your Adversary Before Dawn
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=20922" rel="nofollow">
3.67 | 3 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=20922" rel="nofollow - The Tomorrow We Were Promised Yesterday
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=20921" rel="nofollow">
4.50 | 2 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=20921" rel="nofollow - This Culture of Background Noise

Listen to this:

Discover more here:

http://www.becauseofghosts.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.becauseofghosts.com/

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2012 at 07:33
Next:

Ivan Bertolla

Ivan Bertolla picture

Melbourne multi instrumentalist, focussing on guitar, Bertolla has produced a highly recommended sole instrumental album "Beyond The Skies Eternity" in 2002. It combines elements of metal, Gothic choirs, orchestral nuances and theatrical cinematic dramatic music. He has also produced music found online for various projects.

The Lineup:

- Ivan Bertolla / all electric guitars, guitar synthesizer, classical guitar, synth solos, bass programming, drum programming ("Eclipse", "Orient Express", "Cathedral", "Lost In Infinity", "Shoemaker-Levy") 
- Tony Murray / piano 
- Robert Parolin / drums, drum programming

The Album:

Ivan Bertolla Beyond The Skies Eternity album cover

Listen to his music here:

Discover more here:

http://www.bertolla.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.bertolla.com/

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2012 at 07:45
Brainstorm

Brainstorm picture

Brainstorm are from Melbourne and they began their successful career playing covers until branching out into a style reminiscent of Hawkwind meets Blue Oyster Cult. The lineup changed regularly until finally remaining with the current members Steve Bechervaise on Keyboards, Craig Carter on Guitars, vocals, Vittorio Di Iorio on Percussion, Paul Foley on Vocals, guitars and Jeff Powerlett on Bass, vocals. There have been 5 albums released to date, and some have conceptual themes running through such as 1998's "Tales of the future" that deals with a dystopian future, and is regarded as one of their best albums in the prog community. 

The current lineup:

- Steve Bechervaise / Keyboards
- Craig Carter / Guitars, vocals
- Vittorio Di Iorio / Percussion
- Paul Foley / Vocals, guitars
- Jeff Powerlett / Bass, vocals

The Albums:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=14448" rel="nofollow">
0.00 | 0 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=14448" rel="nofollow - Brainstorm
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=14450" rel="nofollow">
3.00 | 1 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=14450" rel="nofollow - Brainstorm Two - Earth Zero 
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=14452" rel="nofollow">
4.50 | 2 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=14452" rel="nofollow - Tales Of The Future 
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=14449" rel="nofollow">
4.00 | 1 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=14449" rel="nofollow - Desert World
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=38560" rel="nofollow">
0.00 | 0 ratings
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=38560" rel="nofollow - Planetfall

A review by Mellotron Storm:

Desert World by BRAINSTORM album cover

4 stars This is a concept album that takes us to the future near the end of the twenty-sixth century. The Earth lays in ruins,a barren desert as it has been destroyed by war and pollution leaving twenty billion people dead. This is about the survivors who now live on Mars and have struggled to survive. I know it all sounds so bleak but you just have to look on the back of the album cover to see the band in a flying car(Valiant) or on the back inside cover where we see them buried up to their necks in the desert(they are laughing) to know that these guys are not taking this too serious. There is no doubt though that the band has enviromental concerns as witnessed on their "Brainstorm Two-Eart Zero" album,where they had even more fun to go along with the serious message. Well it's been ten years since that album and i feel they have improved in many ways. I like the fact that this record has a concept and that the music doesn't vary much. This is Psychedelic/Spacerock from start to finish. The earlier album had a lot of Rock tunes and not much Spacerock.

"The Light" has a lot of contrasts throughout. It opens with a melancholic mood and a slower pace.The guitar breaks out a couple of times before the synths come in,some aggressive guitar as the drums pound away. A lot of spacey synths are being fired off before we get back to the mellow soundscape from the beginning that again features some guitar breakouts. "Occupation" is not a favourite as it features short outbursts of drums that are followed by the guitar responding, then synths responding, and so on. Too predictible and boring. "Unfathomed Darkness' is an instrumental of acoustic guitar being strummed (at first) accompanied by drums.This is a good tune. "Mutants" is very spacey with psychedelic guitars. Nice. The tempo picks up 4 minutes in as flute is added to the mix. Lots of spacey synths arrive later. I love this stuff !

"Shadow Of The Past" has some really fat bass lines and sweeping synths as the tempo changes quickly and often. "Paradise Lost" features flute and acoustic guitar to create a beautiful melody. Before 4 minutes the vocals come in as well as vocal melodies which are a nice touch. "Martian Chronicle" is a guitar driven tune to start with before the slows down and waves of synths come in. Some vocal melodies,flute and aggressive guitar to follow. "Goblins" is the other instrumental. I like the rhythm they create in this song. "Desert World" is the final track. It has some good vocals as the song seems to drift along. I like the instrumental interlude of flute and synths that starts to build as drums arrive. The ending is long and spacey that just goes on and on.

The acoustic guitar and flute is a welcome addition to the sound of the record. The lead guitar is not the focus here,it's more the synths and drums or percussion. I like this record a lot although i think you need to be a fan of Psychedelic/space rock music to really appreciate it. 4 stars.

Listen to them here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1q-AnoiFu4

Discover heaps more here:

http://www.brainstormoz.com/index.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.brainstormoz.com/index.html

Date Posted: October 01 2012 at 07:56
Next:

Breaking Orbit

Breaking Orbit picture

A heavy prog band from Sydney who has gained some acceptance recently after years of playing live gigs around Australia. They released two single/EPs, "My Direction" and "Callsign" in 2010 building a devoted local fanbase. The recent album "The Time Traveller" has made them even more successful and they are begining to spark worldwide recognition online with this highly regarded conceptual master work. The music is akin to Dream Theater, complex and intricate with lengthy instrumental sections and it follows a storyline of a time travellers and his adventures as he attempts to relay an important message from the future to our present involving ground breaking news that will transform our world, and he is going to extract our seed to take back to the future

The Album:

My Review:

4 stars A journey into cosmic timespace travel with metal crunches and ambient beauty.

Breaking Orbit's "The Time Traveller" is a concept album with a healthy blend of symphonic and heavy prog. The album cover art is exemplary featuring the science fiction theme of venturing beyond into new realms of time as we see the iconic figure of a sage holding a mystical object as the cosmos evaporates around him. This is the same figure that adorned the previous singles "My Direction" and "Callsign". Incidentally both the title tracks of these have been revamped for inclusion on this new album along with an extended version of 'Orion'.

The first encounter with Breaking Orbit on "The Time Traveller" is 'Echoes' that sets the scene with an intro of preternatural white noise distortion and spacey swirls, as we are whisked out of our time zone into a netherverse removed from reality. The distorted guitars signify that the sound will be laced with metal but the synths keep us firmly planted in a progressive territory. The music is organic and flowing until the vocals join in. Matt Quayle's singing is clean and untainted by forced aggression. The lyrics form part of the mystery encapsulated in the hypnotic music; "will we ever make it through, only time will tell". An integral part of the sound are the loud blasts of guitar, played by both Quayle and Dylan Mitrovitch, that overwhelm the symphonic nuances. The beat is formulated by unusual time signature changes and slowed down chord crashes that speed up rhythmically; enough to keep any metronome battling to keep up.

This track blends seamlessly into 'Conscious Self' with ambient pads that are suddenly torn apart by murderous lead guitar speed picking. Quayle's vocals are more falsetto and high register relating a continuing and developing story line. The lyrics focus on freedom from bondage, escaping into a new world outside of consciousness; "the rain falling through the clouds", so "fill my heart" and "walk me through the rain". There are some scratchier vocals to balance the cleaner singing. The guitar riffs are powerfully executed over the drum crashes of Mark Tyson, and this track is a highlight on this album with a great depth of emotion and precision musicianship.

'My Direction' has a percussion intro and some innovative guitar picking as the lyrics are heard "is anyone going in my direction, done all I can to stop the madness, take my hand and follow." The prog time sig is excellent on this track; fast paced and creative with strong melodies. The rhythm is driven by powerful guitars and a slab of Ayden Mitrovitch's bass and Tyson's drum rhythmic drama. This is a wonderful heavy prog track that has become a definitive highlight for this reviewer.

'Machiguenga' begins with a pulsing heartbeat that builds into an atmospheric ambience and a bamboo flute played by Amaru Farrel. This flute or Quena is a reminiscent sound of pan pipes. The spacey soundscape is augmented by vocal intonations, and it sounds very primitive or tribalistic, especially with the clanging percussion. This tribal flavour is intentional as the Machiguenga are a hunter-gatherer tribe of short warriors from the Amazon Basin on Peru. I recognised instantly the elegant 'pan pipes' melody of "A Picnic at Hanging Rock", one of my favourite films. The distorted guitar staccato blasts provide the heaviness while the jungle rhythms continue. There are more bamboo flutes adding a mysterious quality with ethereal haunting beauty to this instrumental. Later, inventive drum soloing trade off with the woodwind with sporadic flourishes; a very nice musical transition piece between the songs.

'Time Traveller' has rhythmic metal riffs with an odd meter. The vocals are rough at first and follow the weird time signature. Then more vocals follow that fluctuate between clean and growling vocals. The beat also fluctuates with quaking riff tremors and loud splashes of percussion. A spoken narrative adds some atmosphere and then the band launch into an instrumental break with innovative lead guitar helped by wah-wah effects. The concept is based on the time traveller coming from the future to our present with an important message that will transform our world, and he is going to extract our seed to take back to the future; the main vision of lyricist visionary Matt Quayle.

'Transcension (part 1)' is a short musical interlude of acoustic vibrations and haunting flute, that resonates beautifully after all the heaviness previous. It is followed by 'Callsign' with a Pink Floyd like guitar echoing phrase and then vocals, centring on the desperation of searching for a sign. The lyrics are esoteric laced with metaphors such as "moonlight slowly begins to fade", and "I have traded the high life for one last chance" and the protagonist finds himself lost in time. The riff and style remind me of Tool, and the vocals get heavier in the next section before a blazing lead guitar breaks out. It is a great song that rocks along vibrantly. The term 'transcension' may be linked to the hypothesis that once intelligence saturates its local environment, it is constrained to leave local spacetime, hence the time traveller theme.

'Harmonic Voice' is an instrumental dominated by a spiritual bamboo flute and ominous droning menace. The flute and atmosphere are again reminiscent of Peter Weir's "Picnic at Hanging Rock" where the girls walk to their doom up the rock and disappear into the void; perhaps an intentional homage to the film that has become an Australian icon. At this point in the album I was convinced it was no coincidence as the film explores the possibility of time travel in an ambiguous surreal sense.

It segues into 'Cassandra Syndrome' with a crashing rhythm and vocal embellishments. The lyrics are as enigmatic as other tracks, focussing on the metaphorical syndrome that has a psychological meaning used when valid warnings are dismissed or disbelieved. This syndrome has been tackled by other prog bands such as Star One's 'Cassandra Complex' and The Mars Volta's 'Cassandra Gemini'. The lyrics are concentric on disappearing into a time vortex, that echo the themes of time distortion and the protagonist attempting to tell of what he had experienced in the future that falls on deaf ears; "the future's never meant to be told by someone beautiful, destroyed by someone powerful", and goes on to say that out there is "a creature not from round here". The main melody actually sounds similar to Kylie Minogue's 'Confide In Me', at least the main phrase, and she is also an Australian icon. The lyrics are wonderful such as the mysterious ideas engulfed in "All my fears subside" matched by "all my dreams collide"; an ideology of the film "Picnic at Hanging Rock", that questions what happened to the girls who disappeared off the face of the planet, "what we see and what we seem are but a dream, a dream within a dream." This track is definitely the overall highlight of the album.

'Ice Warmth" begins with the freezing wind howls creating an icy atmosphere over a warm pad. The guitar hovers over until it breaks into heavier distortion. The music slowly modulates, ebbing along the tide of a measured rhythm in this short instrumental.

'Orion' begins immediately with Quayle's crystal clear vocals; "I am the hunter, you are the lion", and then as it is threatening to break out, he suddenly screams out "I am Orion", leading to an angular riff with distorted grunt. Orion is a hunter in Greek mythology, in consistency with the hunter theme of the Machiguenga previously. The main melody is repeated adding new lyrics each time and it builds to a more electronic synth rhythm, programmed by Mitrovitch. The drums are off kilter, slower than they should be and it is effective to balance the odd meters of the riffs. A time sig change crunches in soon with alien-like feedback effects. Again the polyrhythmic riffs remind me of Tool and the way the vocals compete with the meter and emanate from dark shrieks to warm clear vocals. This one grew on me and is now another favourite on the album.

'Silence Seekers' has a quiet hypnotic synth reverberation over clean guitar phrases at the beginning. The lyrics are replete with thoughts of escape and remorse, "softly spoken words are broken, no one knows", and "Silence seekers won't you come and take all your lies away". The music is punctuated by strong explosions of distorted metal riffs, like a surge of violence in the tranquillity. At this point the phrase reminded me of "Asylum seekers", who would feel the same thoughts of escaping the turmoil they felt in their home country. Of course it may be a reference as The Australian Immigration Department has been widely criticised for failing to adequately protect refugees and subsequently abusing their human rights by incarceration in Detention Centres.

After listening to this album, one feels as though they have embarked on a journey. The musicianship is masterful and though not as complex as perhaps Dream Theater or Tool, it nevertheless sounds similar in certain passages. The concept is quite ambiguous but I heard definitive homages to Australian culture such as Peter Weir. This was a pleasant surprise to me personally adding an esoteric feel to the album. It moves from darkness to light, from emotionally stirring power chords to achingly beautiful bamboo flute. Overall "The Time Travellers" is an album well worth seeking and has a lot to offer from these relative newcomers to the Australian prog scene.

Listen to it here:

Discover more here:

http://breaking-orbit.com/site/" rel="nofollow - http://breaking-orbit.com/site/

Date Posted: November 05 2012 at 21:09
Just a reminder of whats out there 

For sure the Australian prog scene is different to the Europe, UK or Us scene as the music stems from a different style and era. The 70s scene was progressive in Australia for a number of bands. The great compilation "Golden Miles" features most of these prog bands, it is here

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12213" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12213

and

check out

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rock" rel="nofollow - - Australian rock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 1950s to early 1960s: the "First Wave" of Australian rock ..... and developed a more mature, progressive and distinctively Australian rock style. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rock - 21 hours ago -  http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:t7qPS7-50ysJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rock+australian+prog+rock&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au" rel="nofollow -  -  http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=related:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rock+australian+prog+rock&tbo=p&sa=X&ei=yYsLTJPiN4HCcbOo-bEO&ved=0CCUQHzAD" rel="nofollow -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Australian_progressive_rock_groups" rel="nofollow - - Category:Australian progressive rock groups - Wikipedia, the free ...

Pages in category "Australian progressive rock groups". The following 9 pages are in this category, out of 9 total. This list may not reflect recent changes ...
    en.wikipedia.org/.../Category:Australian_progressive_rock_groups -  http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Y1h9sxNzTPQJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Australian_progressive_rock_groups+australian+prog+rock&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au" rel="nofollow -  -  http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=related:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Australian_progressive_rock_groups+australian+prog+rock&tbo=p&sa=X&ei=yYsLTJPiN4HCcbOo-bEO&ved=0CCkQHzAE" rel="nofollow -
    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=australian+prog+rock&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=#" rel="nofollow -
  • http://www.sonixtrip.com/" rel="nofollow - - sonixtrip » alternative progressive rock | sydney, australia

alternative progressive rock | sydney, australia. Sonixtrip · Touch · Look · Listen · Gigs · « Older posts · Back soon. July 1, 2009 – 3:26 am ...
    www.sonixtrip.com/ -  http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:WrGdp8Vod30J:www.sonixtrip.com/+australian+prog+rock&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au" rel="nofollow -  -  http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=related:www.sonixtrip.com/+australian+prog+rock&tbo=p&sa=X&ei=yYsLTJPiN4HCcbOo-bEO&ved=0CC8QHzAF" rel="nofollow -

http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-for-Sale-tv-audio-music-RARE-Pirana-Self-Titled-LP-Australian-Prog-rock-vinyl-record-W0QQAdIdZ199334476" rel="nofollow - - RARE Pirana Self Titled LP Australian Prog rock vinyl record | TV ...

19 Apr 2010 ... RARE Pirana Self Titled LP Australian Prog rock vinyl record,tv / audio / music , Gumtree Classifieds.
    melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-for-Sale-tv-audio-music-RARE-Pirana-Self-Titled-LP-Australian-Prog-rock-vinyl-record-W0QQAdIdZ199... -  http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:kRsB9mOtAsYJ:melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-for-Sale-tv-audio-music-RARE-Pirana-Self-Titled-LP-Australian-Prog-rock-vinyl-record-W0QQAdIdZ199334476+australian+prog+rock&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au" rel="nofollow -

http://www.answers.com/topic/golden-miles-australian-progressive-rock" rel="nofollow - - Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock: Album review and songs ...

Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock Artist: Various Artists Release Date: February 11, 1997 Type: Collection (various artists) Genre: Rock.
    www.answers.com/.../golden-miles-australian-progressive-rock -  http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:2awk4GOLtK0J:www.answers.com/topic/golden-miles-australian-progressive-rock+australian+prog+rock&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au" rel="nofollow -  -  http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=related:www.answers.com/topic/golden-miles-australian-progressive-rock+australian+prog+rock&tbo=p&sa=X&ei=yYsLTJPiN4HCcbOo-bEO&ved=0CDYQHzAH" rel="nofollow -

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/PURPLE-DREAM-MUSIC__W0QQ_armrsZ1" rel="nofollow - - eBay Australia Shop - PURPLE DREAM MUSIC: Hard Rock, Metal ...

Let us turn Australia into a prog rock country! International bidders are most welcome, but please note that all payments for non-Australian buyers are ONLY ...
    stores.shop.ebay.com.au › ... ›  http://www.google.com.au/url?q=http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/PURPLE-DREAM-MUSIC&sa=X&ei=yYsLTJPiN4HCcbOo-bEO&ved=0CDkQ6QUoAQ&usg=AFQjCNHDBZSWsAtQggRD0aYg0--91LSv4A" rel="nofollow -  -  http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Cjzsuy3CblEJ:stores.shop.ebay.com.au/PURPLE-DREAM-MUSIC__W0QQ_armrsZ1+australian+prog+rock&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au" rel="nofollow -  -  http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=related:stores.shop.ebay.com.au/PURPLE-DREAM-MUSIC__W0QQ_armrsZ1+australian+prog+rock&tbo=p&sa=X&ei=yYsLTJPiN4HCcbOo-bEO&ved=0CDwQHzAI" rel="nofollow - Similar

MilesAgo:  http://www.milesago.com/mainframe.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.milesago.com/mainframe.htm  

And an awesome Aussie prog compilation

Various Artists (Concept albums & Themed compilations) Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock 1969-1974 album cover

Disc 1:
    1. No Dying In The Dark [BAKERY] (3:11)
    2. Travelling South [CARSON] (3:10)
    3. Lotus 1 [LOTUS] (3:45)
    4. Golden Miles [HEALING FORCE] (3:19)
    5. Inner Spring [BULLDOG] (2:47]
    6. Melodies Of St. Kilda/Southern Cross [MASTERS' APPRENTICES] (7:54)
    7. Girl Of 17 [GALADRIEL] (4:39)
    8. Lady Sunshine [TAMAM SHUD] (4:35)
    9. You Realise You Realise [TULLY] (2:56)
    10. I Am The Sea [WILD CHERRIES] (3:27)
    11. Fanciful Flights Of Mind [JEFF ST. JOHN'S COPPERWINE] (3:23)
    12. Getting Through [MELISSA] (4:08)
    13. Here It Comes Again [PIRANA] (2:44)
    14. Wichita Lineman [KING HARVEST] (4:10)
    15. Freedom Train [FRIENDS] (3:55)
    16. Seasons Of Change [FRATERNITY] (3:34)
    17. Satan's Woman [FRESHWATER] (2:59)
    18. Ain't No Loving Left [FANNY ADAMS] (6:45)

Total Time: 72:01

Disc 2:
    1. Make You're your Stash [DADDY COOL] (6:04)
    2. Superbody [Spectrum] (9:12)
    3. The Day Superman Got Busted [COMPANY CAINE] (6:20)
    4. Free [KAHVAS JUTE] (5:12)
    5. Long Legged Lovely [BLACKFEATHER] (7:30)
    6. Shake Off [TYMEPLACE] (8:12)
    7. Make It Begin [SONS OF THE VEGETAL MOTHER] (5:00)
    8. Human Being [COLOURED BALLS] (6:00)
    9. 'til My Death [BUFFALO] (5:34)
    10. 12lb Toothbrush [MADDER LAKE] (6:00)
    11. Extra Terrestrial Boogie [MACKENZIE THEORY] (5:47)
    12. Darkness [DRAGON] (4:43)

Total Time: 75:46

• -------------

Date Posted: November 05 2012 at 21:25
    A quick mention of 
    Blackfeather

A prog Aussie band that did not release many albums!

They transformed their sound to awful AOR boogie with their infamous Boppin' The Blues but before all that they had a stunning prog concept album released April 1971. The single Seasons of Change is the killer track appearing on Aus rock compilations and they are renowned more for this than anything that followed. 

Prog? Well the album in 1971 certainly had elements of it but they really moved away from this style on subsequent albums so a controversial band and as a result not included on Prog sites.
    Still deserves a mention before we move on....

Members
    Alexander Kash - Drums and Footsteps 
    Neale Johns - Vocals 
    Robert Fortescue - Bass Guitar 
    John Robinson - Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Effects 

Non Prog Album
    Boppin' the Blues  
    http://www.milesago.com/Artists/bop.htm" rel="nofollow">Click to see larger image  
    "Pineapple" (Johns) 
    "Gee Willikers (Johns)" 
    "Own Way Of Living (Johns)" 
    "Red Head Rag (Johns)" 
    "D. Boogie (Mama Roll) (Johns)" 
    "Get It On (Johns)" 
    "Boppin' The Blues (Perkins/Griffith)" 
    "Lay Down Lady (Johns)" 

Blackfeather Live at Sunbury  
    "Boppin' the Blues" (Perkins-Griffin) 
    "Get It On" (Johns) 
    "I Just Love to Rock 'n' Roll" (Johns)
    "I'm Gonna Love You" (Johns)
    "Let's Twist Again" (Mann-Appell)
    "Slippin' & Slidin' " (Penniman-Collins-Smith)
    "Still Alive & Well" (Derringer)

Prog Album

"At The Mountain of Madness"  
    http://www.milesago.com/Misc/mtns.htm" rel="nofollow">Click for large image  

"At The Mountains Of Madness" (Robinson) 
    "On This Day That I Die" (Robinson) 
    "Seasons Of Change Part 1"" (Robinson/Johns) 
    "Mangos Theme Part 2" (Robinson) 
    "Long Legged Lovely" (Robinson/Johns) 
    "The Rat" (Suite) 
    "- Main Title (The Rat)" 
    "- The Trap" 
    "- Spainish Blues" 
    "- Blazwaorden (Land Of Dreams)" 
    "- Finale (The Rat)" (Robinson/Johns) 

Listen to it here:

Date Posted: November 05 2012 at 22:00
    Now onto C

THE CHURCH Prog Related
    COSMIC NOMADS Heavy Prog

First:

Chris Brooks

Chris Brooks picture

Multi-instrumentalist from Sydney, Metal guitar primarily, and has released two solid metal albums. Sounds like the melodic work of Steve Vai or Joe Satriani. Has a style also like the shredding of John Petrucci. Has played with various artists including Australian pop icon John Farnham, and I think I saw him live in concert at a Farnham concert years ago.

The Albums: 
    Chris Brooks The Master Plan album cover

1. Kryptica (4:51)
    2. Inner Light (4:05)
    3. Crack in the Hourglass (5:41)
    4. Blue Sky Odyssey (5:00)
    5. Funksion (1:40)
    6. Theme for the Next World (0:44)
    7. Axiom (2:27)
    8. The Master Plan (6:08)
    9. Only Time (3:44)
    10. Tales from a Distant Sky (7:49)

Chris Brooks The Axis Of All Things album cover

1.The-Axis-Of-All-Things.
    2.-Transfiguration
    3.-Wisdom-Road
    4.Hammers-Heart.
    5.Feeding-The-Myth.

The Music:

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2012 at 01:25
    Caligula's Horse

Caligulas Horse picture

Aussie Prog rock or prog metal at times band, hailing from wherever

I will finisih this later

-------------

Posted By: The Great Duck
    Date Posted: November 24 2012 at 19:46
    Will check these out!
    Tell me though, once I heard some guy mention an Aussie band that was named after a place (I think a beach was in question) where something weird happened (I think someone was killed, or they found a dead guy there or sth.). Do you know what band that is?

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 08:26
    Originally posted by The Great Duck The Great Duck wrote:

Will check these out!
    Tell me though, once I heard some guy mention an Aussie band that was named after a place (I think a beach was in question) where something weird happened (I think someone was killed, or they found a dead guy there or sth.). Do you know what band that is?

Hmmm....... I cannot recall any such band but someone may know more. Interesting.

-------------

Posted By: Iron Nate
    Date Posted: February 17 2013 at 00:06
    I don't know the band your talking about but maybe it has something to do with PM Harold Holt disappearing at Chevoit beach?

We drink these while watching our beloved Aussie Rules Footy Rugby League

Fixed that for ya

Posted By: lucas
    Date Posted: February 17 2013 at 03:38
    Long list of bands but some are missing :
    - Stargazer (tech/extreme)
    - Prop (post-rock)
    - Quasar (psychedelic) the album 'Man Coda'
    - Paul Schütze (electronic prog)

And maybe Louisa John-Krol for folk ?

-------------
    "Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: David64T
    Date Posted: February 25 2013 at 02:39
    Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Originally posted by The Great Duck The Great Duck wrote:

Will check these out!

Hmmm....... I cannot recall any such band but someone may know more. Interesting.

Greetings,

An unidentified man was found on Somerton Beach in December 1948;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud_Case" rel="nofollow - Wikipedia has a surprising amount of information, including the following neat summary:
    "The Taman Shud Case, also known as the Mystery of the Somerton Man, is an unsolved case of an unidentified man found dead at 6:30 a.m., 1 December 1948, on Somerton beach in Adelaide, South Australia. It is named for a phrase, tamam shud, meaning "ended" or "finished," on a scrap of the final page of The Rubaiyat, found in the hidden pocket of the man's trousers."

This mystery is occasionally mentioned here in Adelaide on slow news days (usually during the Summer holidays) and like many things seems destined to go into the annals of local history.

Did the Australian band http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5732" rel="nofollow - Tamam Shud name themselves after this event? That I don't know...

By the way, AtomicCrimsonRush - I for one really appreciate your work on this post, the info you have provided about the Oz bands is great and features lots I am not familiar with -

Clap

- hope you can find the time to continue with the A to Z at some point!

David

-------------
    Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: https://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/" rel="nofollow - http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
    Date Posted: February 26 2013 at 16:07
    As per usual Scott you do such a great job with anything you put your mind to, very detailed and informative.Clap
    My Uncle who i worked for for about 15 years was an Ozzie. He moved to California when he was 24 and moved up to British Columbia before coming out to Ontario where he married my mom's sister. Loved his stories over the years and a highlight was when his dad came over to visit from Australia at Christmas. He had never seen snow and we had him out playing road hockey.
    I'm a fan of a lot of Australian bands but i'll mention MYRIAD and SH'MANTRA as two i'm really into.

-------------
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: February 27 2013 at 06:37
    thanks heaps for alll the wonderful comments!!

-------------

Posted By: troyboy79
    Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 23:57
    I had know idea we had sooo many great local prog acts.

Heaps of great clips thanks

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 03:19
    Next up to the plate is the prog metal Aussie act:

Caligula's Horse

Caligulas Horse picture

The Band

Devin Townsend, Pain Of Salvation, Opeth, Meshuggah, Porcupine Tree, Steve Vai, Frost, Periphery, Karnivool, Muse, Steely Dan, The Beatles, and Frank Zappa are all influences of Caligula's Horse, and yet they sound like none of these artists primarily or exclusively, rather a hybrid of all such influences on their one sole album. The band were formed by the visionary mind of the guitarist, who also wrote the songs and produced the material, Sam Vallen, At first the band were really a duet with Sam and vocalist Jim Grey. Th debut was released in 2011 "Moments From Ephemeral City". It was critically acclaimed and adored by progressive music listeners. The band toured the album along with extra members Geoff Irish on drums, Zac Greensill on guitar and Dave Couper on bass and vocals.

The Albums

EP

Caligulas Horse Colossus album cover

Album:

Caligulas Horse Moments From Ephemeral City album cover

1. The City Has No Empathy (Your Sentimental Lie) (6:10)
    2. Silence (7:13)
    3. Singularity (3:33)
    4. Alone In The World (11:04)
    5. Ephemera (3:19)
    6. Equally Flawed (6:09)
    7. Calliope's Son (Don't Ever Look Back) (5:09)

A review: by Conor Fynes

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=22970" rel="nofollow">
    4 stars 'Moments From Ephemeral City' - Caligula's Horse (8/10)

Progressive metal has seen something of a resurgence in recent years. Of course, the style never truly halted, but it's only been in the past few years where the fusion of prog and metal has been given a new, modern face to it. Caligula's Horse is a band that aptly defines where I think the sound is at nowadays; a draw of melodies, chunky Meshuggah-like rhythms and general response to modern trends in rock. Suffice to say, this Australian act is able to avoid many of the tired conventions that once had me turn my nose at the 'new' progressive metal coming out. Made even more impressive by the fact that this is more-or- less a one man operation, Caligula's Horse and its debut album will not feel out of place in any progressive metalhead's diet.

Perhaps best known as the guitarist of Quandary, Sam Vallen forged Caligula's Horse as an attempt to get the heavier side of his musical expression out. Although vocals are offered here by the talented Jim Grey, Vallen does everything on 'Moments From Ephemeral City', from the songwriting to recording. Though Caligula's Horse now has a full band to play this music in a live setting, the debut is mostly the product of one man, and had I not known that, I would never have guessed it. Though Caligula's Horse is the debut of what could be called an 'indie' act, it is expertly executed, and the composition is only enhanced by Vallen's modern recording and emotive musicianship. In regards to the style and sound of Caligula's Horse, the fellow prog metal squires in Haken came to mind. There is a healthy acknowledgement of modern prog rock in Caligula's Horse, and the metal element of the band's sound comes out less than I would have expected. Regardless, moments such as the chugging climax to 'The City Has No Empathy' make Vallen's allegiances clear, drawing from the Meshuggah-conceived style now commonly known as 'djent'.

The composition is quite varied, ranging from Dream Theater-like instrumental fury to jazzy breaks and epic prog swells. 'Moments Of Ephemeral City' is graced by the fact that each song manages to stay significant and distinct from one another, although it was somewhat disappointing that there was never the same emotional intensity and flow of songwriting after the excellent opener. Jim Grey's vocal work is a very welcome addition to the sound of this band, giving another dimension to the sound through his smooth, even jazz-like vocal delivery. Through the heavier sections and soft observations, his voice fits the mood perfectly. Caligula's Horse leaves me wanting more of their music, although it would be even better to hear them explore their metal side more, which I felt was a little underdeveloped on the record. Regardless, 'Moments From Ephemeral City' is a great modern prog record, brimming with memorable musical themes and consistent execution. I have high hopes for this band in the future.

The Music

Listen to them here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVSGxv0_wBE" rel="nofollow">Thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVSGxv0_wBE" rel="nofollow -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVSGxv0_wBE

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 03:58
    Chaos Divine

Chaos Divine picture

The Band:
    Perth Progressive Metal band Chaos Divine Are a mixture of Scandinavian Death Metal and melodic Katatonia. Type O Negative springs to mind with the style but Chaos Divine have their own enimitable style. 

The band released their debut EP 'Ratio' in 2006 and followed up with the full length 2008 album 'Avalon'. In 2011 'The Human Connection' was released.

Band members are 

- Dave Anderton / Vocals
    - Simon Mitchell / Guitar
    - Ryan Felton / Guitar
    - Michael Kruit / Bass 
    - Ben Mazzarol / Drums 

EP:

Chaos Divine Ratio album cover

The Albums:

Chaos Divine Avalon album cover

1. Contortion (5:14)
    2. Our Delusion (4:55)
    3. Refuse The Sickness (5:07)
    4. Avalon (5:25)
    5. Cages (4:59)
    6. Brand New Eyes (3:48)
    7. The Carnal Thirst (6:55)
    8. Rapture (5:35)
    9. Narcosis (4:12)
    10. Alone In The Sky (3:48)

Chaos Divine The Human Connection album cover

01. One Door (6:18) 
    02. At The Ringing Of The Siren (5:03) 
    03. The Beaten Path (6:28) 
    04. Chasing Shadows (6:39) 
    05. Beautiful Abyss (6:42) 
    06. Silence (5:54) 
    07. Invert Evolution (4:40) 
    08. Astral Plane (6:12) 
    09. No Road Home (Solastalgia) (12:15)

The Music:
    Listen to them here!

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 07:51
    The Church

coming soon...

-------------

Posted By: fusaka
    Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 08:01
    Aragon was pretty good back then. The production is probably quite dated now I guess (fake drums)... 

-------------
    http://www.last.fm/user/fusaka/" rel="nofollow - my last.fm

Date Posted: March 08 2013 at 03:04
    The Church

The Church pictureheyday 1

the church 1

The Band:
    The Church celebrated their 30th Anniversary and continue to thrive releasing albums and touring as one of Australia's great prog related bands. They were a very influential band in the 80s with the smash hit "The Unguarded Moment", "Almost With You", and "Tantalized" among other singles. They have a distinctive unique guitar sound that have made them a very endearing artist over the years and have released a plethora of successful albums. Their lyrics are thought provoking and Steve's vocal style is deeply reflective and emotive. The band received their induction into the 2010 ARIA Hall of Fame and continue to flourish live and in the studio. 

Band members include Steve Kilbey, Peter Koppes, Tim Powles, Marty Willson-Piper
    Nick Ward (1980-81), Richard Ploog (1982-90), Jay Dee Daugherty (1990-93).

The latest album of 2009 "Untitled #23" has the following lineup:
    - Steve Kilbey / vocals and bass
    - Peter Koppes / guitar and keyboards
    - Marty Willson-Piper / guitar
    - Tim Powles / drums, percussion

The Albums:

Of Skins And Heart, Too Fast For You EP 1981, The Blurred Crusade, Sing Songs EP 1982, Seance 1983, Remote Luxury EP, Persia EP 1984, Heyday 1985, Starfish 1988,  http://thechurchband.net/the-church/biography/#" rel="nofollow - Gold Afternoon Fix 1990, Priest = Aura 1992, Sometime Anywhere, Somewhere Else 1994, Magician Among The Spirits 1996, Hologram Of Baal, b*****d Universe 1998, A Box Of Birds 1999, After Everything Now This, Parallel Universe 2002, Forget Yourself 2003, Beside Yourself, El Momento Descuidado, Jammed 2004, Back With Two Beasts 2005, Uninvited Like The Clouds 2006, El Momento Siguiente 2007, Shriek: Excerpts From The Soundtrack 2008, Coffee Hounds EP, Pangaea EP, Operetta EP, Untitled #23 2009.

Singles and EPs:
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=25620" rel="nofollow">
    2.50 | 2 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=25620" rel="nofollow - Numbers
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=22119" rel="nofollow">
    3.09 | 2 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=22119" rel="nofollow - Coffee Hounds
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=22120" rel="nofollow">
    4.00 | 1 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=22120" rel="nofollow - Pangaea

Studio albums:
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4404" rel="nofollow">
    3.00 | 9 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4404" rel="nofollow - Of Skins And Heart
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4405" rel="nofollow">
    3.03 | 14 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4405" rel="nofollow - The Blurred Crusade 
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4418" rel="nofollow">
    2.60 | 5 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4418" rel="nofollow - The Church
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4406" rel="nofollow">
    3.71 | 11 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4406" rel="nofollow - Seance
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4407" rel="nofollow">
    2.60 | 8 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4407" rel="nofollow - Remote Luxury 
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4408" rel="nofollow">
    3.00 | 11 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4408" rel="nofollow - Heyday
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4409" rel="nofollow">
    3.30 | 22 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4409" rel="nofollow - Starfish
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4410" rel="nofollow">
    2.85 | 17 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4410" rel="nofollow - Gold Afternoon Fix 
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4411" rel="nofollow">
    2.93 | 5 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4411" rel="nofollow - A Quick Smoke At Spot's 
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4412" rel="nofollow">
    3.97 | 22 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4412" rel="nofollow - Priest = Aura 
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4413" rel="nofollow">
    3.34 | 12 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4413" rel="nofollow - Sometime Anywhere 
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4330" rel="nofollow">
    3.47 | 12 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4330" rel="nofollow - Magician Among The Spirits
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4414" rel="nofollow">
    3.89 | 11 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4414" rel="nofollow - Hologram Of Baal 
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4415" rel="nofollow">
    3.02 | 7 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4415" rel="nofollow - A Box Of Birds 
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4331" rel="nofollow">
    3.50 | 4 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4331" rel="nofollow - Magician Among The Spirits Plus Some
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4416" rel="nofollow">
    3.15 | 11 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4416" rel="nofollow - After Everything Now This 
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4417" rel="nofollow">
    3.98 | 20 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4417" rel="nofollow - Forget Yourself
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=8868" rel="nofollow">
    2.57 | 8 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=8868" rel="nofollow - El Momento Descuidado
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=25617" rel="nofollow">
    2.75 | 4 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=25617" rel="nofollow - Back With Two Beasts
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=11621" rel="nofollow">
    3.59 | 13 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=11621" rel="nofollow - Uninvited Like The Clouds
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=15003" rel="nofollow">
    3.25 | 4 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=15003" rel="nofollow - El Momento Siguente
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=22118" rel="nofollow">
    3.00 | 4 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=22118" rel="nofollow - Shriek: Excerpts From the Soundtrack
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=22121" rel="nofollow">
    3.71 | 9 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=22121" rel="nofollow - Untitled #23

The Music:

Listen to them here!

live rehearsal

a proggy one

another video clip

Aria performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFGjiZ9H3Pw

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2013 at 03:40
    Circles
    Circles picture

The Band:

Circles are a tech/ extreme prog band formed by vocalist Perry, guitarist Ted, guitarist Matty, bassist Drew, and drummer Dave. They do not mention their second names on both their studio releases. They began things with a debut demo "Prelude" in 2010, that was a djent-based melodic progressive metalcore album. The synth soundscape makes the music specifically distinct from other djent bands. After a hiatus from the studio the band released a 2011 EP "Compass" that made an impact on the prog metal fanbase. They have influences from Between the Buried and me, Tesseract and Protest The Hero. 

The EPs:
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=36480" rel="nofollow">
    4.00 | 1 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=36480" rel="nofollow - Prelude
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=36481" rel="nofollow">
    4.79 | 5 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=36481" rel="nofollow - The Compass

The Music:
    Listen to them here!

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2013 at 04:02
    Cosmic Nomads

Cosmic Nomads picture

The Band:

Cosmic Nomads are a 5-piece heavy prog rock band from Melbourne, and originally formed in Sydney in 2003. The founder was the keyboardist who bangs a mean Hammond, and also sings and is the main songwriter, Ray Vanderby. In 1991 he won the WROC/BMG Australian National Songwriting competition. Vanderby's influence is classical music and the 70s English progressive rock scene. The current line-up is Melbourne based but the debut album 'Make Love Not War' in 2004 was with Sydney based artists. The follow-up in 2007 was 'Vultress' the third album in 2008 was 'Millennium'. This has folk nuances and classical music textures. They are a 7 piece on the live stage with 2 female backing singers making up the sound. 

The Albums:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=16909" rel="nofollow">
    3.00 | 1 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=16909" rel="nofollow - Make Love Not War
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=16910" rel="nofollow">
    3.33 | 13 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=16910" rel="nofollow - Vultress
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=17963" rel="nofollow">
    3.88 | 6 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=17963" rel="nofollow - Millennium

The Music:

Listen to them Here!

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2013 at 04:27
    Ben Craven

Ben Craven picture

Ben Craven is an Australian composer and multi-instrumentalist that became popular in 2005 with his first solo album "Two False Idols" and he called the band name Tunisia on this release, later to change it to his own name.  e plays and sings everything on it and it is a remarkable achievement. This was followed up by the 2011 album "Great and terrible Potions", notable for having some striking Roger Dean artwork on the album cover. In 2007 he issued the EP "Under Deconstruction" as a free download, in order to protest against the music industry, who at the time were obsessed with DRM-protection of music sold. The music is Crossover prog with influences from Bare Naked Ladies and David Bowie to name a few. The music is heavy guitar, acoustics, lengthy keyboard solos and melodic vocals with very odd time sigs and progressive structures.

The Albums:
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=34364" rel="nofollow">
    3.92 | 5 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=34364" rel="nofollow - Two False Idols (as Tunisia)
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=34366" rel="nofollow">
    3.79 | 40 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=34366" rel="nofollow - Great and Terrible Potions

The EP:

Ben Craven Under Deconstruction album cover

The Music:

Listen to him Here!

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2013 at 04:39
    Cybotron
    Cybotron picture

The Band:

The cool thing about this band is that the debut album was one of the albums that really impacted me as a child, "Monster Planet" from 1975. The electro drone and spacey synths dominate throughout and there are some wacky ideas coming through as the "monster planet ate the sun". This is an iconic album that still packs a punch with crazy saxophone squeaks, buzzing synths, twittering moogs and deep bass textures, along with Jim Keays' echoing vox. The album was followed up by "Cybotron" in 1976, "Colossus" in 1978, and finally "Implosion" in 1980. 
    The name Cybotron is derived as a hybrid of Klaus Schultze's "Cyborg" album, that influenced Braund. The use of the Mellotron was added as Tron in the name title, and the word 'cyclotron'. It represented half man, half machine, and has the german motorik feel of Krautrock. The influences are obvious with Tangerine Dream, Amon Duul II, early Pink Floyd, Hawkwind, Ash Ra Temple and early Kraftwerk. 

The line up has varied beginning with the "Monster Planet" debut:  

- Steve Maxwell Von Braund / synthesisers, alto saxophone
    - Geoff Green / lyricist
    - Gil 'Rats' Matthews / drums, bass guitars
    - Jim Keays 'The Boy From The Stars' / vocals
    - Henry Vyhnal / electric violin

The last album featured a different lineup:

- Steve Braund / keyboards, synthesisers, alto saxophone
    - Mark Jones / bass
    - Gil 'Rats' Matthews / drums, guitars, keyboards, synthesisers

The Albums:
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=20868" rel="nofollow">
    4.50 | 2 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=20868" rel="nofollow - Monster Planet (Steve Maxwell Von Braund)
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=20869" rel="nofollow">
    2.46 | 5 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=20869" rel="nofollow - Cybotron
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=20870" rel="nofollow">
    3.27 | 12 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=20870" rel="nofollow - Colossus
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=20871" rel="nofollow">
    2.64 | 5 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=20871" rel="nofollow - Implosion

A review:

from my Aussie friend....

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=20870" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4203" rel="nofollow - Cybotron  Progressive Electronic

Review by  http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=37105" rel="nofollow - Aussie-Byrd-Brother  
    Collaborator Rock Progressivo Italiano Team

3 stars Australia's Cybotron are an instrumental synthesizer heavy band, who played spacey and repetitive electronica-tinged prog, with an interesting combination of live acoustic and programmed percussion. Taking many elements from German acts like Ashra, Eloy and Tangerine Dream, without ever blatantly ripping them off, the Melbourne band's 1978 album `Colossus' displays plenty of infectious energy, enthusiasm and is packed with top playing and great arrangements.

Considering they're from my home town, it's surprising that I ignored this album for many years! The simple reason is my vinyl LP cover is torn and in terrible condition, so it was kind of off-putting and not pleasant to look at! Fortunately the LP itself is in good condition! But I'll be reviewing the compact disc version, which has a very controversial history that I'll explain later.

After a very spacey and programmed intro with a great build, the title track `Colossus' features a highly unusual treated saxophone blowing away, floating between synths and rattling percussion. Keyboard solos swirl around, stomping drums pounds away - drummer Colin Butcher is relentless on this track! Electronic effects punch through, before a very symphonic finale. It's got quite an upbeat tempo! What a way to start the album! Much of it wouldn't have sounded out of place on a 70's Eloy album.

The ten minute epic `Eclipse' has almost three minutes of killer synth solos and more top drum work - total overkill, yet everything a prog fan could wish for! Very epic and grand, before a nice transition into a floaty middle with phasing effects and a near total fade out. By this point, we're lost in a liquid word of electronic ambience, before a sudden rush back into more synthwork and heavy drums. It's very disorientating and repetitive, creating a very dizzy and overwhelming sensation. Listen to all the maddening keys cut in and out, twirling around, phasing into oblivion, the militaristic percussion leaving you exhausted. An amazing piece, lots of drama and mood here, and killer playing by the band.

Tangerine Dream fans will love `Medusa', a darkly ambient and programmed spacey synthscape. After an ethereal and majestic opening, it develops into a hypnotic, eerie, and trance-like piece. There's driving, almost tribal percussive beats that gradually build in tension throughout the heavily sequenced piece, and it's full of rapturous synth solos. What sounds like a flute near the end creates a very meditative tone. Worth grabbing the album for this one alone.

Processed sax, thick synth stabs, and furious drumming storm through `Raga In Asia Minor'! It's certainly more upbeat than the previous piece, with some faster rocking sections and slower atmospheric moments. It's also extremely repetitious, but sure to get your head nodding in approval or foot tapping along. Very catchy and easy to listen to!

Be aware, the album is available on CD, along with a download version, but bafflingly both contain only a 6 minute version of the final track, with about ten minutes cut out of the original! I have absolutely no idea what the thinking was behind this. Instead, they included a shorter remix of the title track (mostly pointless) and a bonus track `Ride' which is an another short but effective Tangerine Dream/Klaus Schulze-like sequenced piece - decent but nothing that hasn't already been done perfectly well already on the original album. As mentioned above, I do have an original vinyl copy, and within a few weeks I'll have access to a vinyl/USB convertor, so I plan on transferring the album across to MP3 so I can properly listen to and review the full length `Raga In Asia Minor'. I'll then update this review accordingly.

A short and sweet album, there's really not a bad moment on it, certainly no filler tracks. Perhaps there's not a lot subtlety or depth, but the album sounds amazing on a superficial level. Endless thick keyboards, varied drumming/percussion, inventive programming and effective sax. Some would likely complain that many of the tracks are a little repetitive, but that's missing the point! The album artwork, though a little amateur, is kind of deceptively cool, with the vinyl version revealing a lot mode hidden interesting details than on first glace.

In the end, `Colossus' is probably not a hugely important progressive album in the big scheme of things, but the players in Cybotron can be proud in the fact that they put out several high quality albums, with frequent moments of true originality and real greatness.

Three and a half stars really!

The Music:
    Wrap Your ears Around this!

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2013 at 04:40
    I will get back to this project later - hope you are enjoying it thus far

-------------

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
    Date Posted: March 08 2013 at 04:51
    Great work as always Scott! Cool to see my review there, which reminds me I wrote in it I was going to transfer that Cybotron LP onto a USB stick! I did finally get that USB turntable, but it transfers it at 128 kb as a default, and you can't make it any better quality, really put me off using it too.

Oh, I can't speak highly enough about that Ben Craven album, first class, grand and melodic symphonic prog that fans of the Flower Kings might really got for, and he's even a great vocalist as a bonus lol! I bought the LP copy that looks amazing on the larger format!

Date Posted: March 08 2013 at 05:43
    Thanks Aussie! I was glad to be reunited with such a terrific Kraut influenced artist as Cybotron!

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2013 at 06:13

Later will look at:

DEAD CAN DANCE Prog Folk

I will return....

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2013 at 00:29
    Scott, sadly your Cybotron post reminded me if when I left behind their `Implosion' LP at a record fair once so many years ago....I had never heard them at the time, but expected nothing special, so I didn't buy it. Of course, I've never come across it since and would LOVE to get a copy! Dirt cheap it was too....

Posted By: danalive
    Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 03:43
    Hi guys,

I've been looking for a resource like this so I can discover some touring prog bands.

One which I've found is Xenograft. Check out their bandcamp site for music: http://xenograft.bandcamp.com/track/xenograft-exit-ep-preview" rel="nofollow - http://xenograft.bandcamp.com/track/xenograft-exit-ep-preview

If you take suggestions, maybe we could flag in the original post the current touring acts? :)

Dan.

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 06:47
    Originally posted by danalive danalive wrote:

Hi guys,

I've been looking for a resource like this so I can discover some touring prog bands.

One which I've found is Xenograft. Check out their bandcamp site for music: http://xenograft.bandcamp.com/track/xenograft-exit-ep-preview" rel="nofollow - http://xenograft.bandcamp.com/track/xenograft-exit-ep-preview

If you take suggestions, maybe we could flag in the original post the current touring acts? :)

Dan.

Actually the prog gigs are listed in the gig section but good idea. Glad people are hearing more OzProg!Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 06:48
    Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Scott, sadly your Cybotron post reminded me if when I left behind their `Implosion' LP at a record fair once so many years ago....I had never heard them at the time, but expected nothing special, so I didn't buy it. Of course, I've never come across it since and would LOVE to get a copy! Dirt cheap it was too....

thats a shame - hope you find it again tho i have never seen it!

-------------

Posted By: Terra Australis
    Date Posted: March 26 2013 at 05:45
    Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

If you can find it somewhere, get it. It is very good!

-------------
    Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - http://allomerus.bandcamp.com

Posted By: bonestorm
    Date Posted: April 08 2013 at 18:57
    Wow, great work on this thread AtomicCrimsonRush, must have been very time consuming!  I have discovered a few local acts I hadn't heard before because of it.

Hopefully I can get Hibernal added to PA before you reach the 'H's.  Tongue

-------------
    Hibernal http://hibernal.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - http://hibernal.bandcamp.com
    "This is a stunning work of art" - Muzik Reviews
    "A precious gem" - Dante's Prog

Date Posted: April 09 2013 at 06:16
    Originally posted by bonestorm bonestorm wrote:

Wow, great work on this thread AtomicCrimsonRush, must have been very time consuming!  I have discovered a few local acts I hadn't heard before because of it.

Hopefully I can get Hibernal added to PA before you reach the 'H's.  Tongue

You're too kindHug

If the thread is gaining attention for some Aus prog, its all worth the time spent creating it.  

-------------

Posted By: ClaireFischer
    Date Posted: April 11 2013 at 23:51
    Hi, I love Aussie Prog,

How can I find more?
    I'm on facebook with Birds Robe Collective
    http://www.facebook.com/birdsrobe

Are there any other similar labels/promoters? or any individual bands I should check out?

Date Posted: April 12 2013 at 00:25
    Hi Claire, there's quite a few great Aussie bands painstakingly listed in this thread by AtomicCrimsonRush, so if you have the time to read through I'm sure you'll be rewarded with some surprises.

Birds Robe Collective is certainly a good place to start anyway.

Also you can check out Hibernal (link in my sig) which is free to download for a limited time.

-------------
    Hibernal http://hibernal.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - http://hibernal.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: May 06 2013 at 05:03
    ^^^^Thanks!

Time for a new entry then.

Dead Can Dance
    Dead Can Dance picture

The Band
    Prog Folk band from Aussie, began in 1981 by Guitarist Brendan Perry and vocalist Lisa Gerrard, joined by bassist Paul Erikson, and drummer Simon Monroe. In 1982, Perry and Gerrard relocated to London and became a duo touring and with Erickson began recording albums in 1984. After some success, 1993 saw the release of "Into the Labyrinth", the first proper studio album to be released in America. The American and European tour followed and became a documentary in 1994 "Toward the Within". In 1996, they released "Spiritchaser" and followed up with an international tour. The band disbanded in 1999, with Gerrard and Perry continuing to work as solo artists 

The Albums

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=16448" rel="nofollow">
    3.17 | 49 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=16448" rel="nofollow - Dead Can Dance
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=16451" rel="nofollow">
    3.41 | 59 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=16451" rel="nofollow - Spleen And Ideal
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=16452" rel="nofollow">
    4.00 | 93 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=16452" rel="nofollow - Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=16453" rel="nofollow">
    3.85 | 81 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=16453" rel="nofollow - The Serpent's Egg
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=16454" rel="nofollow">
    3.26 | 68 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=16454" rel="nofollow - Aion
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=16457" rel="nofollow">
    3.88 | 70 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=16457" rel="nofollow - Into The Labyrinth 
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=16459" rel="nofollow">
    2.83 | 41 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=16459" rel="nofollow - Spiritchaser
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=38318" rel="nofollow">
    3.66 | 70 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=38318" rel="nofollow - Anastasis

The Music:

full album here

full doco here!

-------------

Date Posted: May 06 2013 at 05:26
    Dead Letter Circus
    Dead Letter Circus picture

The Band
    Australian Neo Prog band formed in 2005, with members from the disbanded prog metal band Ochre, Kim Benzie, vocals, and Stewart Hill, bass forming a new band. Rob Maric, guitars and Scott Davey, drums, joined and thus Dead Letter Circus was created. In 2007 the first self titled EP saw the light of day and was reviewed positively. Davey left in 2008 to be replaced by Luke Williams, drums. 2009 was the year the debut album was released, culminating in the single 'The Space on the Wall'. In 2010 Dead Letter Circus toured in the US, and were rewarded with a record contract with Warner Bros. The debut "This Is The Warning" was followed by a tour in 2010 and more tours to follow. 

The Album
    Dead Letter Circus This Is the Warning album cover
    - Kim Benzie / vocals
    - Stewart Hill / bass 
    - Rob Maric / guitars
    - Luke Williams / drums

The Music

-------------

Date Posted: May 06 2013 at 05:35
    Dead Letter Opener

The Band

2008 and 2009 was a special era for extreme tech metal band Dead Letter Opener as they received national exposure with the video for 'Yours and What's Mine' and promotional tour in Australia. The first full-length album "Lumen" was released with the members; Mick Millard - vocals, bass, keyboards, Chris Lait - guitar, and Richie Young - drums. "Lumen" was a success for the band, described as "a satisfyingly dynamic voyage of progressive heaviness, perfectly encapsulating the bands powerful and unique sound."

More tours in 2010 around Australia helped promote their latest release, and they plan to play gigs outside of Australia, including New Zealand,  Malaysia, Singapore, North America, Canada and Europe.

The Albums

Dead Letter Opener Lumen album cover

EP
    Dead Letter Opener Certified Nerdcore album cover

The Music

-------------

Date Posted: May 06 2013 at 05:56
    The Dead Sea
    The Dead Sea picture

The Band
    Ambient shoegaze band The Dead Sea hailed from Sydney, as a project for Tim Bruniges. Following his solo EP in 2008, Bruniges recruited Nick Kennedy on drums and multi-instrumentalist David Trumpmanis to the band. In 2010, the band released a debut self titled album, available as a free download on their internet homepage. The post rock alternative sound consists of ballads, sparse ambience and shoegaze drones. Vocals and rock permeate certain passages of music making them a very accessible band at times. 

The Album

EP

The Music

-------------

Date Posted: May 06 2013 at 06:12
    The Death Cobra
    The Death Cobra picture

The Band
    The Death Cobra comes with a conceptualised mythology and is a project lead by guitarist and synth player Tobias De Maine and drummer Niko Viletic, occasionally joined by Warren Greaves. The band produce sludgy, psychedelic instrumentals that jam along with extended fusion sounds, not unlike The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Gong, and a touch of King Crimson on the heavier side. The band experimetns with narrations and sound effects at times, and their live shows in Queensland feature flashy psychedelic light shows and innovative video displays. 

The Albums

EP

The Music

-------------

Date Posted: May 06 2013 at 06:21
    Dirty Three
    Dirty Three picture

The Band
    Formed in 1993 by Mick Turner, guitar, Jim White, drums and Warren Ellis, violin, Dirty Three area violin driven folkish Post rock band with classical influences. Their sound has transformed over the years from the fast aggression of the first 3 albums, to the slow ambience of "Ocean Songs". The sound changed again on "Cinder" adding vocals, and a cleaner production. 

The Albums

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12801" rel="nofollow">
    3.25 | 4 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12801" rel="nofollow - Sad & Dangerous
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12800" rel="nofollow">
    3.43 | 7 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12800" rel="nofollow - Dirty Three
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12799" rel="nofollow">
    2.78 | 10 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12799" rel="nofollow - Horse Stories
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12798" rel="nofollow">
    3.62 | 31 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12798" rel="nofollow - Ocean Songs
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12802" rel="nofollow">
    3.87 | 15 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12802" rel="nofollow - Whatever You Love, You Are
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12803" rel="nofollow">
    3.67 | 12 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12803" rel="nofollow - She Has No Strings Apollo
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12804" rel="nofollow">
    2.38 | 7 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12804" rel="nofollow - Cinder
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=37539" rel="nofollow">
    3.50 | 2 ratings
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=37539" rel="nofollow - Toward the Low Sun

My Review
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12804" rel="nofollow - Cinder
     Cinder by DIRTY THREE album cover
    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2605" rel="nofollow - Dirty Three  Post Rock/Math rock

Special Collaborator Symphonic Team

2 stars Downbeat, melancholy, violin soaked ambience that is difficult to adjust to.

Cinder by Dirty Three came to my attention because I am Australian and there are so few prog bands from my great local island that I feel it a duty to access, wherever I can, anything progressive from Australia. The problem is I rarely come across anything as innovative as, say, Dream Theater (USA) or Riverside (Poland) or PFM (Italy), instead the music tends to focus on a dreamy soft lulling melancholia which is simply not for my tastes. So it is with trepidation that I approach this review on a local band. First of all the music is definitive post rock and I am definitely not into this subgenre. I find it tiresome and lacking in many areas. The rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes on this album focusses on the violin as the primary instrument and it has its place in many bands I believe, namely VDGG and Comus, however in this case the Dirty Three utilise the violin as a very sleepy addition, rather than playing it aggressively. There are no riffs to speak off of course in this genre but the music is quite forgettable as a result. It meanders along and you need more patience to receive it than the average Godspeed You! Black Emperor album.

The haunting ambience on such tracks as 'Cinders' is pleasant enough, with very slow chord changes and erratic jazzy drumming, but once again it is likely to send you to sleep. The repetition of the chords and the slowness of the music is there to entrance, it is obvious, but I still cannot get into this style at all. The first 5 tracks are so forgettable I cannot even recall one note, however I gave this a chance and kept listening despite my sudden urge to throw on some Riverside or VDGG.

On the first few tracks of the album, there are no full on up-tempo tracks to balance the slow pace, although some of the drumming is infectious such as the heavy beat on 'Doris', perhaps the heaviest track on "Cinder". The guitar jangles and crashes on this track, using pretty much one note for a while and there are the additions of bagpipes by Mark Soul, giving it a unique, uplifting feel. It is certainly a highlight among a plethora of mediocrity in the first 6 tracks.

Thankfully it actually gets better after a very poor start. The violins are overlayed and aggressive on the longest track on the album 'Flutter'. The drums are sporadic and improvised on this as a two note structure provides some tension and release. Another highlight due to its strange structure, after a while it settles into a clean guitar and moaning violin duet. The drums slow as if exhausted. There is an ominous unsettling feel about the music. After a slow start, it seems the album actually gets better as you get deeper into it. The repetition grows on you and the violin is a solid contributor to the ambience.

'The Zither Player' is, yes a track based on zither, giving it a foreign sound, perhaps Greek in flavour. It is a solid diversion from the ambience and presents a traditional folk or Gypsy violin sound. It grows on you on each listen and breaks up the slow pace very well. I started to like the album at this point.

'It happened' is a short tune with a duel clean guitar and moderate drum beat. The violin is absent and al the better for it at this stage. It is a quiet track and just flows along without any lead breaks, each instrument complimenting one another with deceptively simple chords.

'Great Waves' begins with a simple guitar picking and then Chan Marshall sings in a Celtic style the lyrics that are quite heartfelt and sad; "giving up, it's over, the world's wait is over... our bodies are exploding as the sky spews though our mouths..." An intriguing song and surprising with the sudden vocals, a first for Dirty Three and a very good addition too. I thought it was Bjork for a second and had to check the liner notes, it sounds like her at times. Once again a very good track that shines among the greyness.

The violins return in a soft balladic track, 'Dream Evie'. This is a two chord structure with some interesting sections but reminds me of the poor quality opening tracks too much to enjoy it.

A strange drum method moves the next track along, with some very slow violin and guitar. 'Too soon too late' is OK but once again will send you to sleep. Perhaps this is best played at night for insomniacs, I admit I feel sleepy when I hear it. The same goes for 'This Night' that is another dreamy slow ambient piece that does not peak my interest.

The strange atmospheric 'Rain On' has some innovative violin with staccato flourishes and shades of light and dark. The drums accompany the jagged shapes and it is another highlight for me.

'Ember' features violin, guitar and wire brushed rubbing on the skins. It feels as rainy as the previous track. I like the guitars on this in particular, the sad violin works well and it tends to build from a depressing atmosphere to an uplifting one.

'Feral' is another standout track sung beautifully by Sally Timms, who in fact does not use lyrics but 'ahs' and 'oohs' to great effect. The violin and piano play very creatively together and an unusual time signature shatters the ambience. It is a sad atmosphere that is created but still somehow is uplifting with Timms' clear vocalisations.

'Last dance' has more wire brush and tapping without a definitive beat, but the slow pace suits the guitar twangs. The minimalist feel is haunting and almost free form piano holds the atonal melody together. This is quite an experimental track that does not rely on a beat or a particular instrument, rather every instrument creates an overall style. This did feel like a GY!BE style due to the non reliance on rhythm and opposition of instruments.

The last track 'In Fall' begins with a soft gentle guitar and slow violins, with wire brushes caressing the drums. The music has really slowed to a halt as it if knows it will be ending soon. The patient non rhythmic free form is a major component again, but this track does have some intriguing guitar passages. This is some of the slowest music I have ever heard and once again I cannot help but to compare it with some of GY!BE's style for this reason.

OK, so I made it to the end of the album, but it was a weary slog, apart from the middle section with some innovative intriguing sections to speak of. The music is definitively instrumental apart from the addition of some pleasant vocals on two tracks, and these are both so good one wonders why there are not more like this. The vocals break up the hyper ambience and send the music into new more pleasant directions. However this album is sad, melancholy, slow and dreary for the most part. This may appeal to those who want to wallow in a sad dreamy state in their music, but I prefer more upbeat music with instrumental breaks and lyrics, not this background music.

I can give this 2 stars at least for the standout tracks.

The Music

-------------

Date Posted: May 06 2013 at 06:34
    Virgil Donati
    Virgil Donati picture

The Artist
    Australian born drummer Virgil Donati recorded first when he was only fifteen. He moved to the US to study music at nineteen, and has played in Australia with many artists, such as Branford Marsilis and Kenny Kirkland. He has become well known for his work with  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=387" rel="nofollow - Planet X http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1830" rel="nofollow - Steve Vai http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1927" rel="nofollow - Steve Walsh http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=430" rel="nofollow - Derek Sherinian  and others.

The Albums

The Music

-------------

Date Posted: May 06 2013 at 06:39
    Drunken Gunmen
    Drunken Gunmen picture

The Band
    Drunken Gunmen are a psychedelic space rock outfit from Sydney, playing primarily instrumental experimental space prog with electronic textures and passages of ambience and noise. The band produced two albums and various singles over the years on the Australian Spaced Out Sounds label.

The Albums

EPs

The Music

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2013 at 04:23
    Next up its:

FRATERNITY Eclectic Prog
    GALADRIEL Prog Folk

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 01:54
    ENNÏS TÓLA

Ennïs Tóla picture

The Band

Tomas Fitzgerald heads up this crossover band with a distinct sound that has been described as arabian music meets Tool. The unique music is courteousy of unusual instruments such as Bass Clarinet and Japanese Koto. The album release of "Seed" in 2010 received excellent reviews around the world such as France, UK, USA, Italy, Brazil and Canada. Some EPs have been released and the band are working on their second studio album, to be recorded at Abbey Road in London, and Anon Islet Studios, engineered by Tomas Fitzgerald. He plays Guitar, Karen Heath is on Clarinets and Flute, saxophone and Koto, Chris Hitch is on Bass, Thom Mann on Drums, Ryan McRobb on Electric Guitar.

The Albums

Ennïs Tóla Seed album cover

The Music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE_Nhcm7h3E" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE_Nhcm7h3E

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 04:24
    Enter Twilght
    Enter Twilight picture

The Band

Enter Twilight began in 1997 as a gothic metal band and became melodic prog metal over the years. Guitarist Damir Sisak and singer Lidia Szymczak colloborqated together with their experimental style blennding metal with symphonic Gothic elements. Other members were added to bring the heavier sound with the likes of drummer Darren Borg, bassist Teddie Dee, guitarist John Perone, and keyboardist Samuel Vieck.

The lineup went through some changes and on the arrival of the debut album in 2005 the lineup was  Lidia Szymczak , vocals, Damir Sisak, guitars, bass, Richard Hausberger, guitars, bass, John Wauchope, drums, Leigh Askew, keyboards. The album is likely to appeal to progressive metal fans who favour melodic lines and operatic female vocals, in the same vein as Nightwish, Epica or After Forever.

The Album

The Music

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 04:41
    Fearscape
    Fearscape picture

The Band
    Formed in 2000, this extreme progressive metal band from New South Wales is influenced by Enslaved, Opeth, Arturus and Immortal. The music of Fearscape has black metal roots and is progressive metal overall with some death metal textures and occasional moments of doom metal. The band have Christian themes in the lyrics and are not unlike other extreme metal Christian bands such as Mortification, Vengeance Rising, Tourniquet and Deliverance. Members involved on the album "Scent of Divine Blood" are Matt Brown, vocals, Peter Willmott on guitars, Phil Bloomfield on Bass, Paul Dimitrievich on drums and Jayson Sherlock on drums playing on 'Bombworks'.

The Albums
    Fearscape Sleeping In Light album cover

Fearscape Scent Of Divine Blood album cover

The Music

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 05:04
    Fracture
    Fracture picture

The Band

Fracture is aprog metal band begun by the talented David Bellion on vocals and Tony Markou on guitars, that hailed from other bands prior. The band released a debut in 2010, "Silent Chaos", with a lineup of David Bellion on Vocals, Tony Markou on Guitars, Joe Kostof, Guitar, Mark Degiorgio on Drums. The sound is similar to Fates Warning, Kamelot and Nevermore.

The Album

The Music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZciEbjtmH9s" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZciEbjtmH9s

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 05:21
    Fraternity
    Fraternity picture

The Band
    Fraternity is infamous in Australia notably due to the fact that the legendary ACDC lead vocalist Bon Scott was involved. Their most famous song, often found on 70s Oz compilations is the wonderful 'Seasons of Change'. The band's debut "Livestock", in 1971, has semi-classical prog influences with a gritty sound and organic production. A second album "Flaming Galah" followed in 1972, with less blues and heavier rock. The band changed their name to Fang, but soon broke up and Bon Scott joined ACDC in 1974, so unable to appear in the 1975 reuinion tour. On "Flaming Galah" the lineup was Bon Scott on Lead Vocals, Recorder, Mick Jurd on Lead Guitars, Sam See on Slide Guitar, Piano, Bruce Howe on Bass, John Bisset on Keyboards, "Uncle" John Eyeres on Harmonica, and John Freeman on Drums.

The Albums

The Music

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 05:48

Galadriel

The Band

This 6-piece Australian folk prog band was a product of thhe 70s releasing only one album and then the members moved onto other projects. They broke up in 1972, and their guitarist, vocalist Garry Adams, along with drummer Doug Bligh joined The Click, then Bligh joined another Aussie symphonic prog unit, Windchase releasing "Symphinity" in 1977.

Galadriel sounded like Jethro Tull with the flute embellishments, and there were layers of jazz and heavy rock. The folk based tracks gave the band a solid reputation in the 70s, and the members are more well known for this style. The members were Garry Adams on guitar, vocals, Doug Bligh, drums, Gary Lothian on guitar, Mike Parker on bass, flute, John Scholtens on vocals, and Bruce Belbin on bass.

The Album

Galadriel Galadriel album cover
    The Music

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 05:57
    Next up will be:

HEMINA Progressive Metal 

Stay tuned/...

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 06:31
    Halcyon
    Halcyon picture

The Band
    Halcyon is an instrumental Progressive Metal duo involving Plini on guitars and Allen on keyboards and piano. There are jazz elements in the music with some Thrash or Post-metal thrown in with that distinct 'djent' flavour. The album 'Pastures' is their claim to fame along with a few EPS, all very atmospheric music merging from heavy guitars to an ambient beauty on keyboards. 

The Albums

EPs

A Review
    Review by  http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=22970" rel="nofollow - Conor Fynes  
    PROG REVIEWER
    http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=22970" rel="nofollow">
    4 stars 'Pastures' - Halcyon (7/10)

Australia is a fairly underrated place for metal, and I have no doubt that the land from down under will be playing a bigger role in the future music scene. Halcyon is one such band that comes from Sydney, and as I am surprisingly rare to say so nowadays about modern progressive metal, I must say that I am impressed with what the band has done with their first legitimate album. 'Pastures' is a technically sound and adventurous outing from this two person group, and hopefully an indicator of good things to come from them.

Much of the sound here is led by the well-rounded guitar work of Plini. Backing the guitars up is the considerably less startling, but keen keyboard work and atmospherics of Allen. Although tossed into the label of 'djent' (meaning math metal with a trademark palm-muted guitar technique), there is much more going on here than rhythmically off-center riffing. 'Noodle I' starts 'Pastures' off with a sound that is surprisingly atmospheric and even mellow, with Plini exploring the guitar neck with both technicality and tastefulness. Halcyon begins this trek sounding more akin to a Jeff Beck or even Steve Vai album more than anything. Although things eventually get much heavier and typical of 'djent', Halcyon makes it clear that their sound is based around the art of lead guitar, and as a result, the rhythm section seems to falter a bit. The programmed drums are functional, but quite obviously lacking anything in the way of feeling, and are also turned far enough down in the mix to feel like an error more than an artistic choice. As 'Pastures' goes on, it becomes impossible not to concentrate on the lead guitars, as Plini's work here is incredible and well-rounded through both the more downtuned riffs, subtle plucking and melodic, sometimes jazz- infused solos.

The keyboards here feel quite largely overwhelmed by the guitars here, to the point often where they are difficult to notice until the second or third listen. That is not necessarily a problem however, as the guitarwork is so well done as to keep 'Pastures' afloat virtually on its own. On top of the progressive metal and blistering electric guitars, there is also some incredible slap acoustic guitar work that often reminds me of early 20th century guitarist Django Reinhart (humorously referred to in the track title 'Django Fett'). Barring that, this is an affair for electric guitar; someone looking for a more balanced band effort can look elsewhere. While I may have liked a quite a bit more meat on the bones of the rhythm section, the guitarwork of Plini easily rivals that of contemporary 'djent' guitarist Tosin Abasi, of Animals As Leaders.

A great album and promising note for modern progressive metal.

The Music

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 06:51
    Heirs
    Heirs picture

The Band
    This experimental/post metal band from Victoria began with drummer Damian Coward in 2006 who recorded and mixed 4 tracks. These were praised by his peers, and the Heirs lineup became Damian Coward on drums, Brent Stegeman on guitar, Ian Jackson on guitar, and Laura Bradfield on bass. Heirs released "Alchera"in 2009, their sole album. The music is replete with influences of Michael Gira and Swans, Industrial metalof Godflesh, and Doomish Whitehorse. 

The Album

Heirs Alchera album cover

The Music

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 07:14
    Hemina
    A New Sky
    Hemina picture

The Band
    Hemina is a Progressive Rock/Metal band formed in 2008 by Douglas Skene. The band's goal was to write an interesting take on Progressive Metal combining the sonic extremities and musical virtuosity of the genre whilst preserving the artistic edge, forward-thinking philosophy and dynamic subtleties found in Progressive Rock. 

What Hemina Means to Douglas Skene:
    Hemina is the way in which I channel my dark energy with no limits or bounds. It is my way of creating musical worlds and placing myself into different spaces to experience all that I can in life. It is sheer musical might and freedom; the perfect balance between dreams and reality.

The Album
    Hemina Synthetic album cover

EPs

My Review of the album
    http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=20315" rel="nofollow">
    4 stars Metal riffs, spacey effects, symphonic keyboard layers, wrapped around a concept - Hemina!

Hemina are an Australian Prog Metal unit that have recently made an impact with their debut Ep that has now become a full blown 79 minute epic master work in the form of 'Synthetic'. The sprawling concept album focuses on a disembodied angel who is forced to live in the modern world and even beyond into other eternities. The musicianship is akin to the metal melodic style of Dream Theater, Ayreon, Pain of Salvation and the symphonic ambience of Pink Floyd. It is about as good as I have ever heard from an Australian prog band.

It begins with 'This Hour of Ours'; a haunting sound of synths and rain falling heavily. The spacey atmosphere builds with the ethereal vocals of Douglas Skene from Anubis, crystal clear and empassioned. The piano accompanies in the next epic 11 and a half minute track, 'To Conceive a Plan' that suddenly explodes with metal distortion and a heavy tempo. Mitch Coull's lead guitar is scorching with a strong percussion beat by Andrew Craig. Jessica Martin's bass pumps along with well executed lines and the keyboards of Phill Eltakchi are extraordinary.

Together Hemina are a powerful force of prog metal and they delight in lengthy instrumental breaks and lead guitar solos. It is nice to hear Jessica's voice accompanying Skene at times.This track has some symphonic violin sounds and is driven by a rhythmic cadence. There are some loud screams to enhance the atmosphere and at 8:20 the riff chugs along well under Skene's finger blistering solo. The riff that comes in at 9:40 is a fast lead phrase that crunches with admirable dexterity. It is followed by blazing twin lead solos. The song is a grand start to this epic album.

Some keyboard wizardry is heard in the next track, 'The Boy is Dead', similar to the blistering work of Jordan Rudess. The pace settles into a quieter passage temporarily before the next metal attack. Quieter ethereal vocals are heard but it explodes suddenly into relentless riffing.

'For All Wrong Reasons' is a nice change into balladic territory, breaking from the heaviness previously. The harmonies are beautiful with Skene and Jessica's duet; 'I've seen each passing season, the places for my calamity.' As far as a ballad goes this is Hemina at the top of their game. The lead guitar soars with emotion and caps off a highlight of the album. This is segued seamlessly by another 11 minute epic 'And Now to Find a Friend', with a string section and then pounding drums and distorted guitar riffs. The synth solo is dynamic and lifts the atmosphere considerably. The vocals are passionate and there is a soundscape of keys and guitars beneath, reminding me of Queensryche or Symphony X. It takes many directions into metal and symphonic territory before settling into a very pronounced ambience with lead guitar finesse and estranged melancholy vocals.

The next track is 'With What I See', beginning softly with piano, acoustics and strings. The metal riffs take over drowning out the keys. It is a fairly standard metal song for the majority but it ends with an innovative passage of feedback and spacey synths, with waves crashing. This segues into 'Hunting is for Women' that opens with heartbeat drums. There is an odd time sig and very off kilter instrumentation. The vocals follow the melody that are more experimental ending with some weird sounds and a nice synth, but it is not one of my favourite songs on the album.

Next is 'Even In Heaven', and it is back to the metal guitars and keyboard runs. The tempo is slow paced for a while but it builds to a driving fast beat and crunching riff. This was welcome after a lot of slower material. Everything stops as the verses come in; 'life takes you by the helm, myself my soul you dwell, its yearning to see the light of day because of you.' The love song becomes a fast paced riffing head banger, with blazing guitar speed sweeps, and percussive blastbeats. The instrumental break is wonderful with mellotron style keys and an incredible breakneck speedy keyboard solo over heavy drums and guitar. The blitzkrieg lead guitar solos are also frenetic and well executed in this highlight of the album.

'Conduit to the Sky' is a short track, less than three minutes, with creepy keyboards and choral angelic vocals. It is a transition piece leading to 'Haunting Me!', that rips along with metal riffing elegance and darker multi tracked vocals, with lyrics such as; 'death is not the end', 'nothing left to see', and 'is this all I'll be.' The choppy riff leads to a twin lead solo, and an ethereal section with effects and vocal intonations.

'Divine' finishes the album with an outstanding lengthy 13 minute epic. The metal riffing is predominant in the first section, with duel lead solos and a layer of keyboard pads. The vocals are again mixed well into the sound; 'Welcome home, I've been here, the walls are so reminiscent.' Later there is a blistering fret melting lead break that is one of the finest on the album. The keyboard solo is very much like Dream Theater and the song settles into a nice quiet acoustic passage with soft vocals at 7:40. A metal riff joins and another verse, similar to earlier. The vocals are high pitched and well sung, as another lead break cracks the sound. There are some death growls to follow that are unsettling after all the clean vocals. The clean vocals soon return though and the time sig changes into a moderate tempo. Jessica's voice is heard again and then a nice reverb guitar with spacey overtones. Reversed effects add to the strange atmosphere, and the song ends on this dark vibe.

This album is certainly an epic journey with incredible guitar and keyboards, as well as a strong bass and drum rhythm machine. The vocals are appropriate and overall this is an impressive debut from this Australian band. There is enough metal here to satiate the appetite and it is brimming over with symphonic and spacey embellishments. This comes highly recommended to the prog metal fan who does not like to be constantly bombarded with speedy riffs, over produced complexity or death growls. In fact this album has a sprinkling of these but focuses on haunting atmospheres, strong melodies and downright virtuoso arrangements.

The Music

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 07:42
    Hotel Wrecking City Traders
    Hotel Wrecking City Traders picture

The Band
    This stoner rock band from Melbourne is unique in that there is only a drummer and guitarist in the lineup and the guitars have a drone distorted sound not unlike Sun O))). The psychedelic improvisations are a part of the sound and it will take some patience to listen to in lengthy sessions, though they have their fans. This is not for everybody but for those who love the drone stoner rock, this is a serious contender. 

The Albums

EPS

The Music

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 08:01
    Ironwood
    Ironwood picture

The Band
    This extreme metal band are Phil Brown on guitar & vocals, Henry Lauer on six string bass & vocals, Dan Nahum on drums, and Matt Raymond on vocals & guitar. They move from odd folk rock with strange melodies and time sigs and then suddenly launch into black metal shrieks and extreme speed metal distortion. Very intense music that will appeal to black metal fans and those with a taste for someting very very dfferent. The lyrics are based on heathen themes and not for the faint heated.

The Albums

The Music

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 08:04
    Coming Soon:

KARNIVOOL Heavy Prog
    KETTLESPIDER Heavy Prog

-------------

Posted By: David64T
    Date Posted: May 17 2013 at 19:21
    Awesome job ACR!

So much interesting music to check out, so little time...

Fraternity "Seasons of Change" is certainly a classic.

A couple of bands I have encountered recently via my local community radio station which seem to have stayed under the prog rock radar are:

Over Unity - from Perth, their CD EP "Collide the Space" from 2011 may interest anyone into Breaking Orbit, Voyager and prog metal in general. Their track "Lucid dream" available around the place as a sampler is a good start:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Over-Unity/332484916223
    http://www.triplejunearthed.com.au/OverUnity

Domino - from Sydney, new CD early this year called "When The Desert Meets The Sea", do a sort of Led Zeppelin inspired "arabesque progressive rock" with a strong female singer, worth checking out. Maybe not that "progressive" to many ears (including mine).
    http://dominoband.net/

Oh and the continued absence of Australian bands Madder Lake and Kahvas Jute from PA remains a point of wonder. But understandable based on what is available to the outside world - their recorded legacy does reflect the heavy blues-rock twist that most of our bands had in the early '70's. Perhaps paralleling the heavy/noisy side of so many Australian bands today too (from Voyager and Karnivool and Cog to Ne Obliviscaris etc) which attract the "progressive rock" tag from themselves or others?

-------------
    Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: https://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/" rel="nofollow - http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/

Date Posted: May 19 2013 at 19:44
    ^^^^ Thanks for the feedback, I will check out some of those bands you mentioned!

-------------

Posted By: King Only
    Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 13:43
    I got that Cybotron "Colossus" album a few years ago. As others have said it's very influenced by Tangerine Dream.

Some Australian bands I like:

If you are into experimental ambient music then there are two amazing Australian artists - Alan Lamb and Paul Schutze (I think someone mentioned him earlier in the thread). I have several albums by both these guys and they are incredible. 

An old new wave band from the eighties called Icehouse. If I remember correctly Guy Pratt was a member and he later when on to play with Pink Floyd. And also Brian Eno was on one of their albums so I guess there is some kind of prog connection. I think they toured with David Bowie as well.

The Birthday Party (especially "Junkyard").

Dead Can Dance. 

Some of Midnight Oil's songs were good too.

Not really into them but weren't some of the members of SPK, Foetus and Severed Heads from Australia too?

The Fairlight CMI was invented by an Australian company too and a lot of prog artists used it (Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Jean Michel Jarre etc).

Date Posted: May 27 2013 at 20:18
    Another great update, thanks Scott.  I hadn't heard of Halcyon, checking out a few of their tracks now.

-------------

Date Posted: May 27 2013 at 20:39
    Hey Scott, I don't make enough of an effort to post more on this thread, even though it is appreciated! It's just the overload of Youtube clips seems to cause the memory great strain on my old home computer and causes it to crash lol! I'll be getting a new one in a few weeks, so that won't be a problem!

Still on a lookout for more of those darn Cybotron albums too!

Date Posted: January 29 2014 at 07:23
    Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

I got that Cybotron "Colossus" album a few years ago. As others have said it's very influenced by Tangerine Dream.

Some Australian bands I like:

If you are into experimental ambient music then there are two amazing Australian artists - Alan Lamb and Paul Schutze (I think someone mentioned him earlier in the thread). I have several albums by both these guys and they are incredible. 

An old new wave band from the eighties called Icehouse. If I remember correctly Guy Pratt was a member and he later when on to play with Pink Floyd. And also Brian Eno was on one of their albums so I guess there is some kind of prog connection. I think they toured with David Bowie as well.

The Birthday Party (especially "Junkyard").

Dead Can Dance. 

Some of Midnight Oil's songs were good too.

Not really into them but weren't some of the members of SPK, Foetus and Severed Heads from Australia too?

The Fairlight CMI was invented by an Australian company too and a lot of prog artists used it (Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Jean Michel Jarre etc).

Much appreciated. I love Midnight oil too!

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2014 at 20:52
    Hey there Proggers!

Heres an update of Aus Prog as of this date 15/5/2014

In Blue are bands reviewed here so far

Bands                                         Style
    ALITHIA Psychedelic/Space Rock
    ALLOMERUS Eclectic Prog
    ANUBIS Neo-Prog
    ARAGON Neo-Prog
    ARCANE Heavy Prog
    ARIEL Prog Related
    ARNIOE Crossover Prog
    BAKERY Heavy Prog
    THE BURNING SEA Post Rock/Math rock
    THE CHURCH Prog Related
    COSMIC NOMADS Heavy Prog
    DEAD CAN DANCE Prog Folk
    FRATERNITY Eclectic Prog
    GALADRIEL Prog Folk
    GLASFROSCH Crossover Prog
    THE GRAND SILENT SYSTEM Crossover Prog
    HAZARDS OF SWIMMING NAKED Post Rock/Math rock
    HEMINA Progressive Metal
    HIBERNAL Post Rock/Math rock
    HUNGRY GHOSTS Post Rock/Math rock
    INTERNATIONAL KARATE Post Rock/Math rock
    KARNIVOOL Heavy Prog
    KETTLESPIDER Heavy Prog
    KICK THE BUTTERFLY Experimental/Post Metal
    KILLSONG RIO/Avant-Prog
    LAURA Post Rock/Math rock
    THE LEVITATION HEX Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
    A LONELY CROWD Heavy Prog
    THE LONGEST DAY Psychedelic/Space Rock
    IAN MACFARLANE Progressive Electronic
    MACKENZIE THEORY Jazz Rock/Fusion
    MADDEN AND HARRIS Prog Folk
    THE MASTERS APPRENTICES Proto-Prog
    MENISCUS Experimental/Post Metal
    THE MERLIN BIRD Prog Folk
    MARIO MILLO Symphonic Prog
    MONTRESOR Heavy Prog
    MR. MAPS Post Rock/Math rock
    MUSHROOM GIANT Psychedelic/Space Rock
    MYRIAD Psychedelic/Space Rock
    NE OBLIVISCARIS Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
    CHRIS NEAL Crossover Prog
    NEATH Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
    NEXUS Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
    NIMROD Crossover Prog
    NOCTIS Experimental/Post Metal
    GAVIN O'LOGHLEN & COTTERS BEQUEST Prog Folk
    OCHRE Progressive Metal
    THE OVALS Psychedelic/Space Rock
    PATCH Crossover Prog
    PEAK Progressive Electronic
    PIRANA Crossover Prog
    PIRATE Heavy Prog
    PLINI Jazz Rock/Fusion
    POND Psychedelic/Space Rock
    PORTAL Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
    PROJECTED TWIN Crossover Prog
    PSYCROPTIC Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
    PVT (PIVOT) Post Rock/Math rock
    QUANDARY Progressive Metal
    QUASAR Jazz Rock/Fusion
    RAINBOW GENERATOR Progressive Electronic
    RAINBOW THEATRE Symphonic Prog
    RESONAXIS Crossover Prog
    SADDLEBACK Post Rock/Math rock
    SCLERA Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
    SEAWORTHY Post Rock/Math rock
    SEBASTIAN HARDIE Symphonic Prog
    SERIOUS BEAK Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
    SH'MANTRA Psychedelic/Space Rock
    SLEEPMAKESWAVES Post Rock/Math rock
    SNAKES ALIVE Crossover Prog
    GREG SNEDDON Crossover Prog
    SOLAR SOMA Crossover Prog
    SOLKYRI Post Rock/Math rock
    SPECTRUM Crossover Prog
    SQUAT CLUB Heavy Prog
    THE SUN BLINDNESS Psychedelic/Space Rock
    THE SUNPILOTS Crossover Prog
    SUPERDENSECRUSHLOADFACTOR RIO/Avant-Prog
    SYZYGY Progressive Metal
    TALIESIN Progressive Metal
    TAMAM SHUD Crossover Prog
    TANGLED THOUGHTS OF LEAVING Post Rock/Math rock
    TARAMIS Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
    THE THIRD ENDING Crossover Prog
    THIS IS YOUR CAPTAIN SPEAKING Post Rock/Math rock
    GLENN THOMSON Crossover Prog
    THREE WISE MONKEYS Crossover Prog
    TRANSCENDING MORTALITY Progressive Metal
    TULLY Eclectic Prog
    UMLÄUT Eclectic Prog
    UNITOPIA Crossover Prog
    VANISHING POINT Progressive Metal
    VAUXDVIHL Progressive Metal
    VIRGIN BLACK Experimental/Post Metal
    VOYAGER Progressive Metal
    WE LOST THE SEA Experimental/Post Metal
    WHEN DAY DESCENDS Experimental/Post Metal
    TAL WILKENFELD Jazz Rock/Fusion
    WINDCHASE Symphonic Prog
    WITHOUTENDING Progressive Metal
    XENOGRAFT Eclectic Prog

Bands reviewed here so far

(marked in Blue as I introduce/review each band) - 

ANUBIS Neo-Prog
    ARAGON Neo-Prog
    ARCANE Heavy Prog
    ARIEL Prog Related
    ARNIOE Crossover Prog
    BAKERY Heavy Prog
    THE CHURCH Prog Related
    COSMIC NOMADS Heavy Prog
    DEAD CAN DANCE Prog Folk
    FRATERNITY Eclectic Prog
    GALADRIEL Prog Folk
    HEMINA Progressive Metal

-------------

Posted By: Altairius
    Date Posted: June 07 2014 at 04:56
    Is there any other symphonic / classic prog a la Sebastian Hardie / Windchase from Australia? I could go for some highly symphonic and/or melodic, classic style prog metal too. I know of Voyager and they'd be good if not for the stupid, out of place harsh vocals that they throw in there.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
    Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk