Print Page | Close Window

Popol Vuh

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=89484
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 23:36
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Popol Vuh
Posted By: Guldbamsen
Subject: Popol Vuh
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 12:34
I saw an old thread about this band, but it was locked and it hadn't even made 2 pages....Unhappy

I happen to love this band myself. Every album up to Nosferatu is damn near perfect! I love the way Florian Fricke went from experimental approaching avantguarde electronic to his spiritual acoustic Krautrock later on.  

So what about you people out there - anyone into this band? 

Personal faves include:

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Replies:
Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 12:41
I'm still getting acquainted with the band, I have those first two albums you listed.  Very nice stuff, but also quite subtle.  I can imagine it may take a while to sink in.  But I'm in no hurry - I know it's good.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 12:49
I should start listening to them more frequently: my local library has three or four records - but in the "Original Soundtracks" section. 

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: September 08 2012 at 13:11
I love this band and those covers you have posted!  Nosferatu is my favorite! I have about 15 of their cd's. I first heard them in 1979 so I was a late bloomer. I collected almost every LP, bought the first releases on cd, then bought all the remasters. I even have the Celestial Harmonies versions which are a bit mixed up and not contaning the original track listings. They are spiritual and enchanting for me.

Posted By: 2dogs
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 01:19
Spritual acoustic isn't my preference, but I enjoy the spacey ambience of first two albums, "Affenstunde" and "In den garten pharaos" with the Moog synth that Florian sold to Klaus Schulze. I would agree though that the next couple of albums are very well put together.

Posted By: zoviet
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 09:18
the first 2 albums are total utter genius greatness!! soundtracks-wise my fav has to be Aguirre, such poignant epic stuff..........

Posted By: zoviet
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 09:21
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I saw an old thread about this band, but it was locked and it hadn't even made 2 pages....Unhappy

I happen to love this band myself. Every album up to Nosferatu is damn near perfect! I love the way Florian Fricke went from experimental approaching avantguarde electronic to his spiritual acoustic Krautrock later on.  

Personal faves include:

goodness here i go again heheh...........seriously you must check out Supersilent - 6, a modern improvised take on the Popol Vuh sound......glacial breathtaking beauty!!!

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 09:53
I haven't played them much lately David but I do enjoy them.   Strange and trance inducing!Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 12:33
Everything I've heard by them is gorgeous. 

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 12:56
 Love everything they recorded up to and including 1981's Sei still, wisse ICH BIN.

These two are great and somewhat overlooked

The other Nosferatu-album (released with a couple of different covers) + Herz Aus Glas (also different cover)

Such beauty

-------------

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 13:02
One of my favourite bands to come out of Germany in the 1970's. Pretty rare stuff to find in your average record store, but I'm fortunate to have a local shop that specializes in rare imports such as Popul Vuh, Ash Ra Tempel and all that good stuff. As for the music, I've been listening to quite a bit lately, particularly their classic, essential material - Hosianna Mantra and In De Garten. Beautiful and spiritual - love it.

-------------

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 13:04

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 16:42
Hi,

If you all, ever,  have the chance, there is in the ProgArchives cemetary, a really nice interview by Archie Patterson with Florian before he passed away. It is lovely and also gives a really good insight into the mind of Werner Herzog and what could be considered "krautfilm" at the time which was also experimental, and free form, pretty much the same thing as the music did!

There is very little work by Florian that was not special ... and the one thing that most can not appreciate and too many folks in the "new age" crowd would not get, is that the spiritual work does not need advertising to tell you what it is about. One of the stores here in Portland immediately pulled all Popol Vuh after I said it, and were upset I was not agreeing with their cheap choices ... and not have Mike Oldfield, Vangelis and Ryuichi Sakamoto ... in their shelves.

For all intents and purposes, that store was out of business within the year ... I've said all along that if you are not spirit, you can not stand up to spirit and think that you can win and beat it, even if it is money!

Mind you, the time that these albums came up, and that Robert Fripp and Eno, had not quite ... yet ... started on their quiet stuff ... which makes this stuff even more important and valuable, along with the really early Tangerine Dream stuff, prior to "Stratosfear" ... where Popol Vuh was more spiritual and intuitive, I would say that Tangerine Dream's was more ... "dopey" and more intelectual, by comparison.

Some of the prettiest stuff ever done by a single artist!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 16:57
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32622" rel="nofollow - Florian Fricke Interviews from 1996

-------------
What?

Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 17:16
Thank you for that link Dean. Much appreciated.

Regarding the thread, I am glad to see so many positive voices here. In many ways that is also what Florian's music was about, and sorry if that came off sounding incredibly corny, but it's the truth. Not only did his music radiate tenderness and compassion like a fullblown musical religion, the way it got played by the musicians was beautifully democratic. Even with a superb lead guitarist like Connie Veit guesting in on some of the albums, that omnipresent vibe of a living breathing musical collective playing democratically together always comes first. Shines through.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: MFP
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 18:02
I only have In De Garten Pharaos. Vuh is one of the best epics I've ever heard. 

Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 22:23
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

If you all, ever,  have the chance, there is in the ProgArchives cemetary, a really nice interview by Archie Patterson with Florian before he passed away. It is lovely and also gives a really good insight into the mind of Werner Herzog and what could be considered "krautfilm" at the time which was also experimental, and free form, pretty much the same thing as the music did!

Archie is a real character! He is a great pioneer vendor/writer/promoter of the Berlin scene, I've had long discussions with him about electronic artists/musicians I have attempted to re-connect with over the years. His brain is a encyclopedia and he has helped me track people. Artists that are virtually unknown today that entered the electronic scenes in the late 70's and early 80's producing some very worthy work. A flippin' shame their back catalogs were never re-released in the digital age and also a shame that they may have been only once in the early 90's and never to surface again. Like the guy who released electronic music under the name of Wizard Projects. At this point in time I am trying to locate the master tapes of "Neptune" by Celluloid which is an album of all mellotron recorded by Chuck Minuto in 83'. Chuck has been institutionalized for quite some time and I've had long discussions with him over the phone and he doesn't seem to recall where the masters are. In the meantime, investors with the interest of professionally having his works released on LP have contacted me requesting his unreleased material that was mastered for me in a studio in Connecticut.  Chuck has given me verbal permission to do what I want with his music, but so far I have done nothing and I probably won't until I find a trust worthy individual with money, power, and a personal humble interest in his music

There is very little work by Florian that was not special ... and the one thing that most can not appreciate and too many folks in the "new age" crowd would not get, is that the spiritual work does not need advertising to tell you what it is about. One of the stores here in Portland immediately pulled all Popol Vuh after I said it, and were upset I was not agreeing with their cheap choices ... and not have Mike Oldfield, Vangelis and Ryuichi Sakamoto ... in their shelves.

For all intents and purposes, that store was out of business within the year ... I've said all along that if you are not spirit, you can not stand up to spirit and think that you can win and beat it, even if it is money!

Mind you, the time that these albums came up, and that Robert Fripp and Eno, had not quite ... yet ... started on their quiet stuff ... which makes this stuff even more important and valuable, along with the really early Tangerine Dream stuff, prior to "Stratosfear" ... where Popol Vuh was more spiritual and intuitive, I would say that Tangerine Dream's was more ... "dopey" and more intelectual, by comparison.

Some of the prettiest stuff ever done by a single artist!
  Very interesting historical points about the development of Electronic music.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 23:14
I'm only familiar with the soundtrack to "Aguirre, The Wrath of God" (one of my all-time favorite movies!), and it is absolutely gorgeous!!  

If you've never seen this, check it out!!  

The instrument used in the opening is fascinating...I used to think it was a Mellotron with 8-voice choir tapes (like "Dance with the Moonlit Knight" intro), but it is instead a different beast called a "choir organ."  It was also used on seminal Kraut-Rock works like "Wolf City" by Amon Duul II!  Read about it here  http://www.popolvuh.nl/pvchoir" rel="nofollow - http://www.popolvuh.nl/pvchoir

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: September 09 2012 at 23:14
^ Yes, that website is really cool, especially the photo gallery.

It's really a shame that I haven't heard most of the Vuh's efforts in their entirety, even though I'm really into Aguirre, some of the stuff on Hosianna Mantra, and a few other tracks. At least I never called myself a big Vuh fan, but I really like those guys. Fricke was certainly a gifted musician, with an ear for tone and melody.

For the record: I've never quite bought into this whole "spirituality and religious experience" thing. Never been into religion, but I don't have to be in order to enjoy their music.

Date Posted: September 10 2012 at 13:29
It was actually our dear Finnish friend Eetu that made me revisit Popol Vuh with his recent review stint.
This one tends to be overlooked, which is such a shame:
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=6135" rel="nofollow">Popol Vuh - Das Hohelied Salomos CD (album) cover

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=6135" rel="nofollow - DAS HOHELIED SALOMOS

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1227" rel="nofollow - Popol Vuh

Krautrock

3.69 | 42 ratings

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=2915" rel="nofollow"> http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=2915" rel="nofollow - Eetu Pellonpää  
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator
5 stars Popol vuh returns to biblical themes by drawing inspiration from the Song of Songs. These ancient love poems were at some point combined to the myths of King Solomon, and thus this Hebrew tradition heritage also as a part of the Old Testament. Musically Florian's and Daniel's piano & guitar driven core is supported again by Djong Yun's voice, and is also strengthened by Indian sitar-tabla duo, creating wonderful world music fusion tapestries for this adorable song from Middle-Eastern legacy. Though these texts can be interpreted from different religious and political viewpoints, I believe Florian approached them as ultimate dedications for human loving. The blossoming album covers introduce well the theme of earthly paradise for man and woman, relating with its visual appearance to the Garden of Eden of Genesis, and also containing both allegorical and concrete sceneries of vineyards and nature's fertile richness.

On the first side "O fairest of women" standing forth for being observed, is revealed with powerful mystical sonic displays, leading to a romantic hymn of weaving guitars trough the more vividly twisting amplified opening track. The vocal presence is also now stronger than on the earlier record "Einsjäger & Siebenjäger". Oriental sound textures merge wonderfully to the guitar and percussive driven sounds, allowing glimpses to similarly holy and sensual visions. Both album sides culminate to an impressionistic still life of King Solomon, centralizing as the kind king reining the kingdom for supreme praises of feminine adorations. The first evocation of the Son of Salomon is encircled by some sort of visions of nocturnal alleys. I believe these parts describe the dreams of poem's maiden searching her lover from the nocturnal streets. On the first dream she finds him, the wedding progressions leading to first encounter of the son of David, and the second dream denies her lover's discovery, leaving her alone with the city guards. The first vision of Solomon flows with most sacred solemnity, reaching ultimate heights of sanctity trough weeps of guitar and divine singing, the night visions around him being first quite fearful, second run escaping to joys of on drum supported rock melody explorations, thus possibly studying the tale from reverse chronology.

On the second side of the album the winter has passed after the night's dream sequences, the rains being over and gone. Indian tabla and sitar dialogue is introduced here to the music, exploding as really euphoric all-loving tonal art expression. The blossoms of poetic genius bloom on the descriptions of lively vineyards, representing the fair woman appreciated; "How much sweeter is your love than wine", these lyrics hovering on the wings of truth towards the infinity. The second apparition of King Solomon might be seen as governor of these vineyards and lands, the holy grandiose theme studied now both trough the licks of the sitar and full presence of the orchestra repertoire, embodying as a powerful mythic oriental colossus, protecting the gardens of love with firm soul of kindness. Instead of governing vineyards and the lands, the mortal male character of the poem is satisfied the vineyard being the woman of his love; "You drink me with your kiss", closing the record with the ecstatic determination of rolling forward on the path of life, blessed with gift of love's bounds.

I consider this clearly thematic album as musically masterful accomplishment, culminating the spontaneous musical ideas to more concrete end result than on the few earlier recordings. It can certainly be rejoiced as earthly or spiritual sensation, still in my opinion honoring the ancient traditional concept aiming to the kind loving aspects of mankind, refreshingly instead the usual mad violent dreams of megalomania. Also the minor discontinuity of spontaneous musical realizations through fade-ins and outs flow here more smoothly than on the earlier record, maybe due more powerfully dominating presence of loving adoration on the sonic aims, the general calmness of the whole album, and by support of clearer record theme. I would recommend especially this album along with "Hosianna Mantra" from Popol Vuh's wonderful album repertoire for those in need of healing freely flowing progressive rock music.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 10 2012 at 18:10
^ Now that you've really underscored it, I'm getting it now.

Date Posted: September 16 2012 at 14:46
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32622" rel="nofollow -

Thanks Dean ... shameless plug for the link!

I wish that we could do an interview of Archie himself ... because he is insane, and his knowledge of music is amazing and he is so very independent ... I'll see if I can get this done for PA ... he deserves a strong mention in the history of all progressive music. And he is still sharing it around!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: watermouse
Date Posted: October 25 2012 at 22:39
last cd i bought by popol was Shepherds symphony 1997 (2004 reissue)

Popol Vuh - Short Visit At The Great Sorcerer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq3TTSx4zS8" rel="nofollow -

trance tune

Posted By: zhengyi23
Date Posted: October 26 2012 at 20:59
Dear, again in the valentine's day.I don't know how many of you have me to your chocolate, but I see clearly...This year I can send--to reduce weight tea? And I'm a Chinese-American spambot sorry. (edited by DX) http://www.diablo4shop.com" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: October 27 2012 at 16:36
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

For the record: I've never quite bought into this whole "spirituality and religious experience" thing. Never been into religion, but I don't have to be in order to enjoy their music.

I actually agree.

The real problem is that there are way too many folks out there doing stuff under the auspices and the name of this and that, and the spiritual'ness of it all is just a set of words or lyrics, and not really anything else.

For example, YES's TFTO is one of the most spiritual things ever written that I have ever seen, or heard. It is no different than reading the Bardo, the Popol Vuh (the book!), and many others. However, because it was here at the time of rock music and some popular music, it is not thought of as this at all, but as something else ... that more folks find a way to trash, then appreciate good work.

Jon Anderson's Olias in SunHillow is the same thing ... quite out there ... but we have a problem here ... it's folks thinking that "religious" music has to have an ORGAN ... loud and clear and if it has pipes all the better ... that makes it "religious" and that is one of the most bizarre and silly ideas ever devised ... so now comes something where the folks are heavily into meditation and internal work, and they create something ... and no one knows about it, because the most internal and spiritual folks, don't usually talk about it ... it's a personal trip ... but we, as an "audience" (and a PAYING audience for that matter) always feel that you can't do this, because you MUST know what day and hour Jesus came and went and what happened to believe it, 2k years after terrible translations and ideas and mis-translations ...

In general, from what I understand, if you are innerly centered, regardless of how you do it -- I believe arts are no different than a "religion", btw -- it doesn't matter what your medium is ... you will do whatever makes sense to you ... and no one will understand it anyway ... this was the case with so many of them, going all the way back to the Summerian days ... and nobody believed them and even persecuted many of them because they were "thinkers" that were against the feudal lords with their words! It's still like this today - except in America and England we use a board like this one and state that there is no opinion, or reality ... there is only a database! ... you have to draw your own conclusions, even if you are not centered enough!

Yeah ... as some mystic said, everything you ever wanted or needed is right in front of you if you ever want to reach for it! Unfortunately, you have been told that you need so many CD's and crystals, and books and people saying that it is good in PA for you to know the difference! Someone's individual experience is not important to you, to learn how to figure it all out! This is what my tagline is about, in case you didn't notice it!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Doomstoner
Date Posted: October 27 2012 at 21:01
The music is very fitting for Herzog's Nosferatu! Great film and soundtrack.

Date Posted: October 28 2012 at 18:27
Originally posted by Doomstoner Doomstoner wrote:

The music is very fitting for Herzog's Nosferatu! Great film and soundtrack.

And there is other music in the film as well, including Wagner.

Of all the films he did music for, none fit the film better than "Aguirre", which actually had Florian compose something that Werner used a lot, with the long cut on side 2 of the LP. And used very well, to help you feel the anguish, the fear and everything else.

There is a line in the Florian interview that is fun and far out for me ... and it was about Werner going into the closet, picking up some tapes and next week he would come around ... look Florian, I have a film!

So if you think that one image/idea influences the other, here is the opposite ... some music helped Werner see things though it that he went out and immediately put together a story around it ... and the whole thing is soooooo "krautrock" that it is insane. It's the free-form-ness of the creativity of the work ... you don't think twice ... you do the work ... and you can evaluate and edit later and add/subtract anything that you wish. But in general, from film, theater and writing experience, you always KEEP about 90% of the original ... because that is where the color, the vision and the detail is ... and you pretty much only fix a couple of words here or there! With Werner, and Klaus Kinki (the krautrock of acting!) ... it was all free form and his camera catching as much as possible! Now tell the the difference between Florian's forays into his vision and experiment, Guru Guru's early albums, Werner Herzog's early films (remember one of his first films was about Amon Duul 2!), Wim Wenders camera and photographs, Peter Handke and his word "plays" and many other folks that became famous in Germany for their work.

And unlike others, even Klaus Schulze is appreciated in his land, and Edgar Froese gets an evening with an orchestra that does his work! ...

And we just do top ten!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Sergey Lenkov
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 13:29
Thank you Guldbamsen for reviving this topic!
It seems for me that Popol Vuh is much underrated project.
I think that there was no single album of which you could say - This is Popol Vuh's The Dark Side of the MoonSmile And there's no Greatest hits album which could plug you into the heart of PV's music.
The style and sound dramatically changed through the years, very strong compostion or song on the album could be followed by the boring one. For the listner who likes Affenstude - Das Hohelied Solomon or Shepherd's Symphonie could be the big surpriseLOL
Hosianna Mantra is very imressive and fragile but you should also listen to Aguirre or to In Den Garten Pharao to get more or less starting impression of the music by Popol Vuh.
The sad thing - there are only fansites as popolvuh.nl or eurock.com which could give additional information about PV (much thanks themSmile).
The article of Gary Bearman about Transendental music of PV is informative, but sometimes is not quite correct.
Gary labels the albums Spirit of Peace/For You and Me as New Age/ambient music - did Gary ever listened to real New Age/ambient music to understand the difference between "Spirit of Peace" by PV and Deuter/Kitaro and the relaxation music?
http://www.furious.com/perfect/populvuh3.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.furious.com/perfect/populvuh3.html
Gary do right in other thing - there's ritualistic element in Popol Vuh music which was much developed and much more manifested in the music by modern ambient musicians - Klaus Wiese (he tought Florian Fricke to play Oriental instrument tampura), Robert Rich (Temple of the Invisible), Oophoi or Mathias Grassow as example, but it's obviously not Spirit of Peace/For You and Me should be mentioned in this context
There are many mentions in the interviews of Florian Fricke about his work with other musicians in the 80-90s, about his last piano/ambient album, there's Kailash soundtrack, there are some bootleg concert recordings of PV - why not to publish it all officially at last?
We are buying SPV remastered editions only to find 2 different versions of the booklet with the same 2 texts in all CD digipacks.
As for me - I'm not typical PV lover.
For the first time I heard music by Florian in film Aguirre back in the 90s on TV and was much impressed, but I started to listen to PV and to buy their albums only after I had heard... The Shepherd's Symphonie.
I'm lstening much to electronic music and I was so impressed that Florian could compose light positive compostions in Deep Forest/Enigma style that I started to listen to the older olbums and did opened new world for myself.
I wrote the main part of Russian Wiki article about Popol Vuh - I believe for now it's most developed Wiki article about PV. 
Popol Vuh couldn't be fixed stylistcally into the very obvious genre, even prog is not quite adecvate term here.
I hope the more people would open for themselves the wonderful music by Popol Vuh.

Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 13:51
P.S. I find CDs by Popol Vuh in one biggest music store in Moscow, but it seems strange for me that in the Web age somebody couldn't find anything in his local store. There are Amazons, Discogs, GEMM, Musicstack, eBAy etc. - and it's easy to find any official CD or LP by Popol Vuh there.

I wanted to ask you - may be someone here is having the information - Florian was frequently credited on the albums as piano player - even on those albums there you could hardly hear the sound of piano (City Raga/Sheperd's Symphonie).
Why? Did he compose the music on the piano, did he play keyboards and the keyboards were simply called "piano"?
What do you think about it?

Posted By: libertycaps
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 20:05
I just ordered  the Aguirre CD.  I'll prolly take it slow from there.

-------------
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites

Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 20:57
^ Yeah, that album is hard to recommend or describe. I'm not into world and chamber classical music, yet it worked for me. Something like ambient meets world music. Which version did you get? 'Cause there's like three of them.

Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 23:48

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?PID=6731943&style=MUSIC" rel="nofollow - http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?PID=6731943&style=MUSIC

This one. The choral synth is an amazing machine! 

-------------
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 00:34
^ Agreed.

That one has "Aguirre III" for the bonus track, and unfortunately I'm not a big fan of that one. I have two copies of this version (second one was purchased due to miscommunication). Plus, it has a version of "Vergegenwartigung" (that I really didn't fancy) that is different from the one I heard first (which I thoroughly enjoyed). But I hope you will feel differently about it.

I just don't know where I can get that one version that I love. I probably should hit Discogs.com or some place else.

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 01:30
Yes, very long and boring Moog drone track "Vergegenwärtigung" on "Aguirre" is not the most interesting part of PV's music. And nobody said that all albums and tracks by PV are of the same highest quality.

On older versions of the album "Aguirre" there were tracks from other albums icluded, from "Spirit of Peace", as example
http://www.popolvuh.nl/aguirre" rel="nofollow -
http://www.popolvuh.nl/aguirre

Old (1999) version of Aguirre is available here: http://www.discogs.com/Popol-Vuh-Aguirre/release/740361" rel="nofollow - http://www.discogs.com/Popol-Vuh-Aguirre/release/740361

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 01:39
^ Yes, "Spirit of Peace" is ... so beyond. Mayhaps the best thing the Vuh ever did.

Looks like I'm gonna have to spend a few more bucks on the version I actually love. And hey, thanks for the link, by the way, and it's always great to hear from other Vuh fans.

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 01:51
AnytimeWinkSmile
Though it would be wise to check track list from the seller of CD.
Truely I wrote reviews of not much popular last albums by Popol Vuh with electronic sound on Progarchives.
Yes, it's hard to find real listeneres/fans of PV at all, but we are existing.
Truely in main Moscow record stores their CDs from SPV were always available for the last years.
For the starters I could recommend to start with the films by Herzog - Aguirre, Nosferatu... Arthouse and slow, meditative films but music by Popol Vuh works here ideally.
For those who researched discography by Popol Vuh very well - I could recomment to check out  two albums -
Gila "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" - project by Popol Vuh guitar player Connie Veit, but all Popol Vuh including Florian are presented on this album - more prog rock sound.
Tangeine Dream "Zeit" - track "The Birth of the Liquid Plejades" - Florian plays Moog much more impressive comparing with his own Popol Vuh tracks.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 02:00
I do not have the energy for long drawn out responses anymore but PV represent what was so great about Krautrock and how they delievered their music to the masses. Unbelievable genius will the antiques roadshow affirm one dayApprove

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 03:01
By the way, rare situation  - on http://www.jpc.de" rel="nofollow - www.jpc.de   - major German Web seller - set by Popol Vuh "Werner Herzog Soundtracks" is on their top 10 best sellers list (with Deep Purple, Vangelis, Sigur Ros and pop hits)
P.S. Dayvenkirq, Ian Anderson, Florian Fricke and Barry Gibb on your icon - are the good choice of musicWinkSmile

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 04:22

I've only been able to obtain 5 Popol Vuh LP's (always rare and expensive) but each and every one of them is a real winner.  I really love 'Einsjager/Siebenjager' and 'In Den Garten...' a lot.

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 11:54
According to popolvuh.nl in September LPs by Popol Vuh would be re-released:
The Barcelona-based Wah Wah label announces the release of first five Popol Vuh albums in special editions for september. Have a look in their interesting backcatalogue in the meantime: http://www.wah-wahsupersonic.com" rel="nofollow -  price.

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 14:36
Originally posted by Sergey Lenkov Sergey Lenkov wrote:

P.S. I find CDs by Popol Vuh in one biggest music store in Moscow, but it seems strange for me that in the Web age somebody couldn't find anything in his local store. There are Amazons, Discogs, GEMM, Musicstack, eBAy etc. - and it's easy to find any official CD or LP by Popol Vuh there.

That's the reason why local stores and what not, are losing customers and revenue.

The tastes have widened and it is impossible for any store to handle enough material to be able to sell it to the folks that come in ... that is, btw, the main reason why "top ten" and "hits" are so important to the "economy" ... so you DO GO TO THE STORE, and also buy a drink along the stuff you get, which helps the economy go around!

But if your tastes differ, the chance of getting it locally in a small town? ... not very good at all!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: May 05 2013 at 02:04
So why getting locally - buy globally on the WebSmile
Support the artists.

Date Posted: May 05 2013 at 15:22
Again, regarding Gemm, E-Bay etc. - there's always some dim-wit who asks some way too inflated price for an album, or some maniac who stubbornly puts in a proxy-bid of whatever 3-figure number he/she can think of and you can never afford to win the item - this is always the case with Popol Vuh vinyl.  Even the re-issues are few and far between......

Date Posted: May 05 2013 at 17:12
I never pay over the odds for original/early reissue LPs. I don't buy new pressings either. Too many are poorly done cash grabs. So the reissue/remastered CD is always just fine. In fact i prefer CDs. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2013 at 13:35
I'm also prefering CDs - too much interesting music and it needs too much place in my room LOL
And I'm still buying books. If I would buy LPs - in my room would live CDs, LPs and booksLOL
When I'm listening to Popol Vuh I'm always having feeling that there's something behind this music.
You could call it atmosphere, spirit, energy.
It creates positive feeling even if you are listening to music from Nosferatu.
What do you like in music by PV most of all?
And I read the opinion that last albums were mainly work by Guido Hyeroniumus, but if you compare Shepherd's Symphonie or City Raga with Guido/Frank Fiedler's post-Popol Vuh records, it's obvious that music by Guido is quite different.
Truely, it a mystery for me how PV worked in studio in the 90s.

And yeah, there are many persons who are wanting to take Big money for their items on eBay, Musickstack etc., but if you are constantly hunting for somrthing - it's usually possible to find your price and your CD/LP sooner or later.
Of course, not in all casesWink

Date Posted: May 07 2013 at 13:44
^ Too bad I don't know much about their music post-'81.

Date Posted: May 08 2013 at 11:39
Why not to try to listen to these albums?Wink
Agape-Agape and Spirit of Peace are continuation of the sound from the second part of the 70s.
Cobra Verde - truely the music is much more impressive in the film by Werner Herzog (with Klaus Kinski, of course) - there are short floating ambiental tracks, long Afro-ethnic peace - it works if you saw the film.
For You and Me - well-recorded old and new tracks with more light sound - choral singing, guitars.
City Raga and Shepherd's Symphonie - electronic beat tracks with ethnic samples in style of Deep Forest, Banco da Gaia etc. For a start it's better to see the film Kailash on Youtube - ambient tracks from this film were developed to tracks on both these albums.

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 01:36
There was one Popol Vuh album I heard many years ago, I didn't really like it - I forget the title, but it has some religious sect (?) standing in a circle on the cover-photo......it has a German title.  Renate Knaup from Amon Duul II was on it too.  'Hosianna Mantra' on the other hand..................pure bliss.

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 01:57
It is Sei Still, Wisse ICH BIN.
I like the first track.Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ttQ4dhRgbY" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ttQ4dhRgbY

There's Oriental ritualistic feeling in it, but the music is quite heavy (not in metal sence of this word) to listen to it too much.
Truely Florian in the beginning of this song is citing Russian Orthodox choral - probably that's why it seems interesting for me.

Ambiental Popol Vuh of the 90s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnhyuxcGiUE" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnhyuxcGiUE

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 09:39
^ Yes, "Wehe Khorazin" rocks that album with hellish vocals. Don't care much for the rest, though.

Date Posted: May 12 2013 at 01:47
By the way, there's one more mistake in the article by Gary Bearman.
He wrote about this album: "One can only assume that electronic music guru Klaus Schulze co-producing this album must have had an effect on why everything sounds a bit twisted".

http://www.furious.com/perfect/populvuh3.html" rel="nofollow -  
Album was originally released on label by Klaus Schulze Innovative Communication - it's correct information.
But in bio of Schulze by KDM, his manager, there is following reference to release of Popol Vuh album:

"Alongside our IC productions, WEA released two discs on IC we had nothing to do with, we only agreed to their release: One by the British Francis Monkman, and an old, historic album by Popol Vuh".

http://www.klaus-schulze.com/bio/ksse2.htm" rel="nofollow -  
So it seems that Klaus Schulze really didn't do any sound producing on "Sei Still...", though hе could be credited as producer on original release.

Check out iformation twice before believe enything written about PV.
Sad that those people who could give us correct information are prefering to stay silent.

Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 14:45
Really enjoying Aguirre. Will pick up Hoisana Mantra and Letze Tage CDs in the near future.
The more acoustic tracks here remind me of Brian Eno's Ambient 4 especially for some reason.
Have to admit to liking the mellower stuff more and more as i get mellower/older too.

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 15:09
^ ... Unless you are anything like me who's been predisposed to ambient since the age of 17.

Date Posted: May 18 2013 at 04:08
Originally posted by libertycaps libertycaps wrote:

Really enjoying Aguirre. Will pick up Hoisana Mantra and Letze Tage CDs in the near future.
The more acoustic tracks here remind me of Brian Eno's Ambient 4 especially for some reason.
Have to admit to liking the mellower stuff more and more as i get mellower/older too.

Truely, Eno was heavy German iflunced, so it's no wonder.
Letze Tage - is raga rock album, with more rock elements on it.
Hosianna Mantra truely close to chamber music of late 19th century (with the adding of electro guitar)Smile

Posted By: Rando
Date Posted: May 18 2013 at 18:06
The haunting soundtrack to Herzog's Nosferatu was the first time I heard them, and I was hooked. Then I went back to their previous work. Mesmerizing. Smile

-------------
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -

Posted By: King Only
Date Posted: May 19 2013 at 14:07
The first time I heard them was when I watched "Aguirre, Wrath Of God", their music created the perfect atmosphere for the opening scene. Great movie. I haven't heard any of their other albums but I'm going to investigate further!

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 00:29
Many openings are waiting for you, but prepare that concept of Popol Vuh sound developed constantly. So if you don't like any album - take the previous or the following one - for sure you'll find something interesting.
I also started with films by Herzog but after that I opened for myself heavy ambient of the first two albums, exquisite ballads from Hosianna, raga rock of Letze Tage, electronic beat of Shepherd's Symphonie... And each reincarnation of Popol Vuh gave me much positive feeliing. And prog rock sound of Gila's album "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" (only PV members including Fricke were on this album).
Also check out Kailash video on You Tube with PV's music.

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 12:18

Truely, Eno was heavy German iflunced, so it's no wonder.
Letze Tage - is raga rock album, with more rock elements on it.
Hosianna Mantra truely close to chamber music of late 19th century (with the adding of electro guitar)Smile

I'm not sure that Eno is influenced by the Germans, anymore than they are influenced by him.

They are both contemporaries, and let's say -- for the sake of semantics -- that Eno was plying with loops and simply figuring out how to make these sound interesting and better (start with "No Pussyfooting" with Robert Fripp), and the Germans were more into the atmospheric side of it, in the first 3 or 4 years, before the whole thing got corrupted with a little fame, and Timothy Leary!

The mood and atmorphere of the whole piece was more important for the Germans ... whereas Eno, would not have worried about that while doing it, and then later, he started adding painting and other light shows to help illustrate a process of visualization that was ever changing.

Let's say, for words' sakes that Eno was a scientist and that the Germans were artists! Both music's were very fine, regardless!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: May 26 2013 at 11:16
Brian Eno lived in Berlin for some time while recording with David Bowie and there were much interaction and work with German musicians.
"Affenstunde" was recorded by PV in 1970 before Eno became more or less known.
And the idea of ambient is present there. Holger Czukay, Can, NEU!, Konnie Plank - Bowie and Eno appreciated all of them.

Date Posted: May 26 2013 at 12:24

Brian Eno lived in Berlin for some time while recording with David Bowie and there were much interaction and work with German musicians.

I am not sure that Eno cared what others did, because he himself is not musically taught, or studied ... and we would be intimating that his ability to tune in  (he said on EM that he was pitch perfect) was not there, and we know it was, or he would not have been able to play with rock musicians like he did! He had to have at least, some rudimentary and basic music knowledge ... !!!

But it is obvious from the way he speaks and describes what he is trying to do, that if there is one thing he can do is dis-associate himself from the "melody" of the standard music definition (all music is "melody" kind of thing!), and create something else that also works within the music.

This was VASTLY different than what the Germans were doing, and you can hear Timothy Leary say a few words about it on 7-UP ... and in many ways, it made it look like Klaus Schulze, was merely playing around with the knobs, which might have been the case, but there also was a very well defined young man that KNEW music fairly well ... and the folks in CAN were not dummies ... when they had instructors whose names were in the who's who of experimental music in the 20th century that we -- here -- are scared poop-less to even consider, or discuss! All of those folks were all "anti", most western concepts of music, thus a lot of things were created that were different, and some of it ended up being called "krautrock", but others went in different directions ... to the point that CAN ended up making fun of disco ... but then you see what's his name say ... "not repetitive enough" ... and it makes you wonder what these "professors" were getting at? ... I don't think it was disco!

It should also be mentioned that the theater tradition during that time in Germany was highly experimental, and even one of its young starts went on to write for Wim Wenders in film ... and his process for lyrics in many of his plays was stranger than ruth or fiction ... and you won't believe it ... and it was the greates nightmare for actors on stage ... which might appear interesting to David Bowie (it did!) later. For ENO, I think it was more the chance to get out of London and be around a foreign place and experience a foreign thing for a chance! A different approach to music! Which helped David and Eno create a couple of things!

But I think that David was probably more interested in the acting and the very rich theater traditions in German history, than he would have been in anything else, and later he even went on to do Kurt Weill, which no doubt he looked at while there with Eno!

Agreed. However this album is less of a representative of anything else but the experiment of what the synthsizer could or might do, which at the time, was not exactly flowing electronics and moody stuff, but mostly anti-music doodling and fooling that was rather meaningless, even when it had a name.

I've always thought that it was a good name for the piece, that described a lot of the visual and internal elements of the very book they are named after ... but I seriously doubt that anyone here would ever make that connection ... or have a way to figure out exactly what that meant! It would be the same with the BARDO, portions of which would have us scared out of our underwear quickly before the whole house knows it!

ENO's process was a lot less about what the whole sequence of sounds might have felt like, and create a mood, and this might have been his eventual problem with Bryan Ferry ... one wanting to go all over the place with the knobs and sounds, and Bryan saying ... the music has to get tighter!

And the idea of ambient is present there. Holger Czukay, Can, NEU!, Konnie Plank - Bowie and Eno appreciated all of them.

It might be considered that the "ambient" thing started way before that, and even Beaver and Krause had their moments, that Tangerine Dream paid a tribute to in Stratosfear.

I think the real problem was ... when is ambient jsut a flip of the knob ... and when is ambient important ... and in this situation, ENO and everyone else, had a strong hand in it. NEU and the early pioneers of the Kraftwerk society and Faust, were already playing around with the knobs ... NEU, is almost exclusively about what that sound does and continue the piece until you are sick of it, but it sounded really stoney and far out, and we liked it, but is probably just a nice garage jam with a little effects added to it ... or just like Brian Jones telling us that The Pipes of Pan were not messed with at all, and neither was the Missa Luba!

The Cosmic Couriers were also "ambient" ... in many ways ... but because they are not repetitive, and tended to continue on a theme and feeling a lot more than just being repetitive ... it has a tendency to make folks think that it is just a meandering jam, which it could be, but if so, they certainly are very well tuned to each other, which is not always a very good trait found in "jams" at all, but for a few minutes. When you listen to "Join Inn" and other pieces, there is a nice quiet inner self that is not about "ambient" and who gives a damn about what it is called. It's a magnificent piece of music to use for loving ... but maybe you only want Joni Mitchell to listen to during that moment! The same for the "Cosmic Jokers" album, but it makes me want to question the sensuality of a lot of people here ... who have to have lyrics while enjoying some sex? Or creating a fantasy?

WEIRD!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: May 27 2013 at 12:36

I am not sure that Eno cared what others did, because he himself is not musically taught, or studied ... and we would be intimating that his ability to tune in (he said on EM that he was pitch perfect) was not there, and we know it was, or he would not have been able to play with rock musicians like he did! He had to have at least, some rudimentary and basic music knowledge ... !!!
But it is obvious from the way he speaks and describes what he is trying to do, that if there is one thing he can do is dis-associate himself from the "melody" of the standard music definition (all music is "melody" kind of thing!), and create something else that also works within the music.
This was VASTLY different than what the Germans were doing, and you can hear Timothy Leary say a few words about it on 7-UP ... and in many ways, it made it look like Klaus Schulze, was merely playing around with the knobs, which might have been the case, but there also was a very well defined young man that KNEW music fairly well ... and the folks in CAN were not dummies ... when they had instructors whose names were in the who's who of experimental music in the 20th century that we -- here -- are scared poop-less to even consider, or discuss! All of those folks were all "anti", most western concepts of music, thus a lot of things were created that were different, and some of it ended up being called "krautrock", but others went in different directions ... to the point that CAN ended up making fun of disco ... but then you see what's his name say ... "not repetitive enough" ... and it makes you wonder what these "professors" were getting at? ... I don't think it was disco!
It should also be mentioned that the theater tradition during that time in Germany was highly experimental, and even one of its young starts went on to write for Wim Wenders in film ... and his process for lyrics in many of his plays was stranger than ruth or fiction ... and you won't believe it ... and it was the greates nightmare for actors on stage ... which might appear interesting to David Bowie (it did!) later. For ENO, I think it was more the chance to get out of London and be around a foreign place and experience a foreign thing for a chance! A different approach to music! Which helped David and Eno create a couple of things!
But I think that David was probably more interested in the acting and the very rich theater traditions in German history, than he would have been in anything else, and later he even went on to do Kurt Weill, which no doubt he looked at while there with Eno!

Agreed. However this album is less of a representative of anything else but the experiment of what the synthsizer could or might do, which at the time, was not exactly flowing electronics and moody stuff, but mostly anti-music doodling and fooling that was rather meaningless, even when it had a name.
I've always thought that it was a good name for the piece, that described a lot of the visual and internal elements of the very book they are named after ... but I seriously doubt that anyone here would ever make that connection ... or have a way to figure out exactly what that meant! It would be the same with the BARDO, portions of which would have us scared out of our underwear quickly before the whole house knows it!
ENO's process was a lot less about what the whole sequence of sounds might have felt like, and create a mood, and this might have been his eventual problem with Bryan Ferry ... one wanting to go all over the place with the knobs and sounds, and Bryan saying ... the music has to get tighter!

And the idea of ambient is present there. Holger Czukay, Can, NEU!, Konnie Plank - Bowie and Eno appreciated all of them.
It might be considered that the "ambient" thing started way before that, and even Beaver and Krause had their moments, that Tangerine Dream paid a tribute to in Stratosfear.
I think the real problem was ... when is ambient jsut a flip of the knob ... and when is ambient important ... and in this situation, ENO and everyone else, had a strong hand in it. NEU and the early pioneers of the Kraftwerk society and Faust, were already playing around with the knobs ... NEU, is almost exclusively about what that sound does and continue the piece until you are sick of it, but it sounded really stoney and far out, and we liked it, but is probably just a nice garage jam with a little effects added to it ... or just like Brian Jones telling us that The Pipes of Pan were not messed with at all, and neither was the Missa Luba!
The Cosmic Couriers were also "ambient" ... in many ways ... but because they are not repetitive, and tended to continue on a theme and feeling a lot more than just being repetitive ... it has a tendency to make folks think that it is just a meandering jam, which it could be, but if so, they certainly are very well tuned to each other, which is not always a very good trait found in "jams" at all, but for a few minutes. When you listen to "Join Inn" and other pieces, there is a nice quiet inner self that is not about "ambient" and who gives a damn about what it is called. It's a magnificent piece of music to use for loving ... but maybe you only want Joni Mitchell to listen to during that moment! The same for the "Cosmic Jokers" album, but it makes me want to question the sensuality of a lot of people here ... who have to have lyrics while enjoying some sex? Or creating a fantasy?
WEIRD!

Epic post. Bravo!
I don't think that Affenstunde was meaningless.
Florian Fricke had the formal music education and it's obvious that he is developing the piece of music.
And don't forget there was the first Ash Ra Tempel album before 7 Up and all that Leary staff.
And the second track on this album is quite atmospheric compostion.
Truely I couldn't be sure if Eno heard Affenstunde or Ash Ra Tempel or Zeit by Tangerine Dream, but I'm sure that the idea of ambient was in the air in that times.
The difference is German accent of krautrock and English accent of Eno.
I'm not dumb sure and insisting - anyway, I was glad to read your thoughts on this matter.
I could also add that later Eno was much interesed in what other musicians doing.
I saw him live in Moscow back in 2005 and he played a kind of ethnic metal with Rashied Taha and... Steve HillageSmile
Before it in the second half of the 80s he closely worked with Russian rock musicians here. Truely he only published one or two albums on his label, but there were much interaction and I think that Brian is an open minded person.

Date Posted: August 28 2013 at 08:53
Interview by Bettina Waldthausen, the widow of Florian Ficke.
She opens some detailes of his biography - story of Moog buying, dramatic change of style in the 90s and why some material isn't published or remastered - simply there's no money for it

http://www.furious.com/perfect/popolvuhinterview.html#.Ufq6h0d9XzI.facebook" rel="nofollow - http://www.furious.com/perfect/popolvuhinterview.html#.Ufq6h0d9XzI.facebook

Date Posted: September 01 2013 at 13:01

http://www.furious.com/perfect/popolvuhinterview.html#.Ufq6h0d9XzI.facebook" rel="nofollow - http://www.furious.com/perfect/popolvuhinterview.html#.Ufq6h0d9XzI.facebook

Fabulous ... absolutely fabulous and then some.

Listening to the movement
in the stillness.
Listening to the sound
in the stillness.
This leads to the experience
of what vibration itself truly is.
FF

And, to me, this is what "music" is all about ... and it is not about "progressive" or "rock'n'roll" or "classical" ... and in the end, we do not know .. what "real music" is, and this is what I have been talking about when it comes to the "improvisation" thread ... in the arts ... what it leads to, is the discovery of your inner vibration ... which can help you define yourself in ANY art that you apply yourself to.

The deeper one does that, the more spiritual it all becomes.

The interesting thing in this article is Eberhard Schoenner getting some credit, when his music stopped being electronic altogether as time went on ... and his electronic excursions were far more interesting and better than his other musics. "Trance-Formation" is a must album for everyone that not only likes some music with "spirit" but also define how well one can blend different kinds of music and experiences. Andy Summers and Gregorian Chants is a fabulous combination, even if he would never do this again!

I wish that PA could add this article to the links on the interview with Florian that is on file here ... it would help create a much better and more solid archive. Like the wife would not know as much, if not more!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: September 01 2013 at 18:28
I recall Eberhard Schoener's Video Magic album that had Sumner & Summers on it being pretty good, but I haven't heard it in ages. I believe it has never had a proper CD reissue.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: September 01 2013 at 18:44

Fabulous ... absolutely fabulous and then some.

Listening to the movement
in the stillness.
Listening to the sound
in the stillness.
This leads to the experience
of what vibration itself truly is.  You are using the word vibration and I don't totally understand the word usage applied to the description of what you choose to explain. Although I have experienced what you describe for some 40 years , I am left speechless and consider it unknown territory for the most part..and that's after visiting this other place everyday. On the Eberhard Schonner album..Meditation , it is stated that some folks get into a meditative state, may enter a place that is too far away....maybe a black hole? as I'm attempting to use a visionary, and they never come back. They appear to be in a coma and it happens when a musician improvises like Ravi Shankar or John McLaughlin do with ethnic style. You don't get completely sucked in , but it is "trance like" and hypnotic along with a feeling you get from a medicine man or a spell that has been cast upon you. That enters my mind a bit because the inward trance contains some vibe that feels dark and scary. It's good to touch this darkness and express musicially to others without losing touch with reality yourself. The only vibration I know comes from a huge P.A. system on a massive stage , but I probably miss your point if it's in relation to the spiritual path due to my lack of knowledge.  
FF

And, to me, this is what "music" is all about ... and it is not about "progressive" or "rock'n'roll" or "classical" ... and in the end, we do not know .. what "real music" is, and this is what I have been talking about when it comes to the "improvisation" thread ... in the arts ... what it leads to, is the discovery of your inner vibration ... which can help you define yourself in ANY art that you apply yourself to.

And this is very true regarding many different observations of this subject matter. One is a theory and a concept based on education reaching a level where a person is able to think for themselves. What society tends to do is place a label on that thinking process, tagging it as unorthodox teachings and lacking because it is not traditional. Musician's who are raised within that environment often find their minds cluttered with the names of notes, positions, and theory related sequences...and they don't improvise with a universal tone because they are talking to themselves ..like instructions or a direct order cemented in their head from a traditional music professsor. This does not compliment the musical inward mind state of improvisation. Many great improvisationalists crossed paths with this encounter and understood that scattered thought and too much pre-planning with theory concepts and positions were distracting from natural awareness to the unknown state. Although the awareness is only surface to the zone, musicians are connected to it strongly to express a sound or art form. .  

The deeper one does that, the more spiritual it all becomes.

The interesting thing in this article is Eberhard Schoenner getting some credit, when his music stopped being electronic altogether as time went on ... and his electronic excursions were far more interesting and better than his other musics. "Trance-Formation" is a must album for everyone that not only likes some music with "spirit" but also define how well one can blend different kinds of music and experiences. Andy Summers and Gregorian Chants is a fabulous combination, even if he would never do this again!

I wish that PA could add this article to the links on the interview with Florian that is on file here ... it would help create a much better and more solid archive. Like the wife would not know as much, if not more!
This is all very interesting to me. I've read your posts several times. You have a lot to offer and I appreciate the teachings.

Date Posted: September 03 2013 at 14:02

Originally posted by toddler toddler wrote:

You are using the word vibration and I don't totally understand the word usage applied to the description of what you choose to explain. Although I have experienced what you describe for some 40 years , I am left speechless and consider it unknown territory for the most part..and that's after visiting this other place everyday.

That was from the poem, not mine, btw.

may enter a place that is too far away....maybe a black hole? as I'm attempting to use a visionary, and they never come back. They appear to be in a coma and it happens when a musician improvises like Ravi Shankar or John McLaughlin do with ethnic style.

Before, I found that "music" could also do this, I was a much more avid reader and student of the inner thing, and I have NEVER LOST that light, dark, or sense. And I hope I never lose it, because it is the only "light" that keeps me alive ... not even the music, the art or a loved one ...

And I went "looking" for this information, because I could hear some music inside me, that I have NOT YET FOUND ... and I have come to know by "feel" what it is, and what it tells me.

This is the reason why the majority of "popular" and "fanboy" or "fangirl" stuff does not faze me at all, and I some folks here get upset that I am trashing their own livelihood ... well, yes ... but more than that ... I am making a suggestion that one could learn far more ... way more ... from more depth, and less advertising!

However, many folks here, expect to get the Cliff Notes version of ... "experience" ... and this is another issue altogether. My article is from a teaching/acting/experiential format, that most folks here can not relate to, but instead of seeing that, it is an immediate threat to their idealism. I have no ideas ... I just have a resonable idea of what it is I am seeing, and the rest is useless and will be gone down the toilet tomorrow, or the next day!

... but it is "trance like" and hypnotic along with a feeling you get from a medicine man or a spell that has been cast upon you. That enters my mind a bit because the inward trance contains some vibe that feels dark and scary. It's good to touch this darkness and express musicially to others without losing touch with reality yourself.

IT'S NOT DARK for everyone! IT IS DARK, for those that associate that "unknown" as something that is wrong and that we are not to learn or see, or find out from! And that has been the source of most religions to try and gain control over most people by telling them what to do, and make themselves bigger than you or I or anyone else can see or do!

Start thinking of it as the "light" ... or ask the Dalai Lama, if you have any questions!

They are not totally wrong, but let's say that the translations are horrendous, and many folks would rather put me down, instead of looking at the translations themselves ... that is a voice that is not likely to ever be able to enjoy, appreciate and live the spiritual life of many of the things that we can see and discuss here, and which "improvisation" is ALSO a part in meditation! IF you don't remember that, you will get to the end of the road and have to get rid of the box that gets rid of the boxes ... and you are stuck, as Peter Nelson would say!

I also like to joke that the semantics are the boxes, by the way, because they are the worst way to show you ... what really took place!

This is all very interesting to me. I've read your posts several times. You have a lot to offer and I appreciate the teachings.

Thanks. I can not say they are "teachings" ... I can say they are the truest and most important things and feelings I know ... and I always feel the need to share them ... but if some folks can not find the pearls amidst the swill for everyone else ... I won't blame them, I won't throw any stones ... but they will live a rather sad, empty life inside ... and hope that they favorite metal, or progressive helps them for a few years!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: September 04 2013 at 12:41
Hi,

About the "unknown" and such.

Many many many many many many books on the subject. Carlos Castaneda has described it best as "unknown" and "unknowable" ... but these might not be a good desctiption of them. Things like the various Bardo's and Books of the Dead (of which PV is one, by the way!).

Comparing all these with John Lilly (Center of the Cyclone), Robert Monroe (Journey series is very good!), Carlos in the later stages of his work, as the early work is too weird and strange, Saint Germain literature, and many other mystics over the hundreds of years from Crowley to Fortune to many others ... up to and including the Bardo's and the Books of the Dead ... all of these discuss the "unknown" and the "unknowable", in one form or another.

The problem is, social conditioning that doesn't like to see this in the public ... and thus the stories that have changed what you feel inside ... and SEE ... to something that you are told is the truth! Thus, many of the "God" stories, are nowhere near the ability possible for you to find out ... what it means to you! As such, your ability to know what the "father and I" are ... is impossible ... you are too far removed, with no teachers. And way too many clever folks to confuse you silly ... which is what the media does to you!

The truth/trick, in the end, is that there are no teachers, and you have to learn to do all this alone ... and all of the stories are about people that did it alone and no one understood what they said. Well, you could say that the media made a point of saying that they did not like someone they did not understand, either!

Now you have to make a call, if the innner self interests you ... and if you want/need to expose it within an art form that is satisfying to you. You see this a lot in Daevid Allen, Florian Fricke, Frank Perry, and a handful of other folks out there ... and when you compare the work they do, to the "commercial music" (as Vangelis says), you will find that ... there is a lot of vacuous stuff out there ... and you do not need lyrics to even tell you that ... thus, you know why I dismiss so much music ... progressive or not ... because, as Dean says ... it's just pop music!

But there is a lot of other stuff out there that is NOT just pop music! And there are a lot of folks that see something else in music ... and it ain't a lyric or some hit song!

To me, many of the "progressive" things that made the whole shtick well known, was not pop music ... but the media would not want you to know that they were wrong all along and that Tangerine Dream did not sound like washing machine music! (famous line from the early days to give you an idea!)

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 07:27
Some new information and possibilty to listen and to see something new
fragments from film "Kailash" about travel of Florian and Frank Fiedler to Tibet with Popol Vuh music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5z562mlLS4" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5z562mlLS4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnhyuxcGiUE" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnhyuxcGiUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DRuLEJGYHU" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DRuLEJGYHU

Full film SEI Still http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6km-c4VFTNg" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6km-c4VFTNg  with Popol Vuh music

Long interview with Fichelscher - much new information about Florian and Popol Vuh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSGWFX84NkQ" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSGWFX84NkQ

Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 12:19

Some new information and possibilty to listen and to see something new
fragments from film "Kailash" about travel of Florian and Frank Fiedler to Tibet with Popol Vuh music:

Will listen to it when I get home.

Toddler, I have never really "compared" these folks and what they do. I just know inside and can feel it, that they have a connection to something else, that is not a lyric or Ayn Rand, or something else so pretentious to convince you that it is worth while to buy and make them famous.

I have not had a chance to check McLaughlin properly, as what he does has been very nice, but never really "clicked" with me. Maybe it was the early work, that didn't click, because some of the stuff he does now and improvisations are very fine indeed.

Mystic work, is NOT invisible. It is all a matter of that person "channeling" it well enough, but there is an issue with it, as there was with a lot of the channeling that was around in the New Age days a few years back. There are just as many hacks as there are good ones, and the problem is ... how do you know the difference. Some of them speak a good game, but say absolutely nothing, but they have a good song that is number one and sell a book that did get to number one, and YOU BELIEVE he's right and I'm not! (so to speak!)

That's an issue with advertising, and one's ability to "know" their inner self, and the main reason why I did not like Marshall McLuhan in the early days when he confused people with the media is the message, and it meant the message was meaningless ... and WE BELIEVED IT, because it sold. The media has its own message, but is NOT the message of the artist and NEVER will be, and this is where we get into issues here. I do not think that people understand this difference. PA is great, and very good for each of these musicians, but PA is not the music! We forget that, and neither is the media. Thus the media is not, in most cases the message, otherwise, why would you need a band? Or a book? Or a Play? Or a Priest? Or the media?

All it tells you is how much the control of the masses has developed. 500 years ago, all this individualistic thinking was considered anti-social and anti-establishment and totally pagan and hedonistic and evil. Today, we, AT LEAST, know how these words were distorted and hurt.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: fusionfreak
Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 11:22
One of my favourite bands:IM Der Garten Pharaos,Aguirre,Das Hoelied Salomos,Ensjager und Siebenjager are on top of my list and I'm eager to listen to Affenstunde I ordered 3 days ago.

-------------
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king

Date Posted: February 19 2014 at 09:01
Originally posted by fusionfreak fusionfreak wrote:

One of my favourite bands:IM Der Garten Pharaos,Aguirre,Das Hoelied Salomos,Ensjager und Siebenjager are on top of my list and I'm eager to listen to Affenstunde I ordered 3 days ago.

I pretty much grew up with Popol Vuh from day one and their first album, and I think the sequence of work is much more interesting, than a simple listen to things out of the blue. The much later choirs and voices make a lot more sense after you hear the early material, and how the choirs all of a sudden turned into chants, and not just voices in a choir.

You can see/feel the internal feelings in the work right from the start. At least I do, and there is nothing dark in it, though some folks thinki it scary because of the cover and the suggestive nature of the band's name. A book of the dead, is not something that we want to know about, or experience, because we fear it hugely!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: charles_ryder
Date Posted: April 30 2014 at 05:14
I like Herzog's films, and I like music from thic films. Florian was a great composer.

-------------
om mani padme hum

Posted By: Eetu Pellonpaa
Date Posted: May 02 2014 at 10:28

It was actually our dear Finnish friend Eetu that made me revisit Popol Vuh with his recent review stint.
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=6135" rel="nofollow">Popol Vuh - Das Hohelied Salomos CD (album) cover

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=6135" rel="nofollow - DAS HOHELIED SALOMOS

Krautrock

3.69 | 42 ratings

Thank you for mentioning this David. I noted the Wahwah LP reissues last autumn and grabbed other than "In den Gärten Pharaos", as I didn't want to pay 40€ for an album with great B-side for me but otherwise not so interesting. I was sad that this album was not inlcuded on the reissues, but feel gratitude what was given. Against all odds I occured to have an affair with a lovely redhaired hippie girl during those days, and burned this + Hosianna Mantra for our intimate dearest moments. Infatuation often turns to hatred, but luckily with us morphed back to friendship with mutual respect. The memories of ecstatic moments remain with these sacred sounds as I sail towards unclear future on the tides of time.

Posted By: melotron98
Date Posted: May 02 2014 at 12:35

Personal faves include:

Popol Vuh... I know it for about a year and In den Garten Pharaos is my favourite one. A masterpiece of krautrock that takes the listener in a 40-minute journey where the only limit is your imagination... That ecstasy during listenning Vuh where Florian Fricke did an awesome job on organs. I cannot describe what I feel when I listen to this album. I think is is similar to another krautrock classic by Ash Ra Tempel (we should mention that Manuel Göttsching was 19 when he recorded this piece of pure psychodelia):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTZeaAIDvTo" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTZeaAIDvTo

I like Hosianna Mantra too. The rest posted I have on my PC and I never remember to try them, maybe today I'll do that. :D

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: May 02 2014 at 22:55
I was going to say, a Popol Vuh thread I haven't participated in?? But I posted here like a year and a half ago.  So.

My current favourite might well be Das Hohelied Salomos

Posted By: frogbs
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 09:15
Music aside, I love the cover art of In Den Garten Pharaos so much.  Hard to believe it's over 40 years old; the design of it still feels modern.

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 14:00
Originally posted by Eetu Pellonpää Eetu Pellonpää wrote:

Krautrock

3.69 | 42 ratings

Thank you for mentioning this David. I noted the Wahwah LP reissues last autumn and grabbed other than "In den Gärten Pharaos", as I didn't want to pay 40€ for an album with great B-side for me but otherwise not so interesting. I was sad that this album was not inlcuded on the reissues, but feel gratitude what was given. Against all odds I occured to have an affair with a lovely redhaired hippie girl during those days, and burned this + Hosianna Mantra for our intimate dearest moments. Infatuation often turns to hatred, but luckily with us morphed back to friendship with mutual respect. The memories of ecstatic moments remain with these sacred sounds as I sail towards unclear future on the tides of time.

Sorry Eetu, but I seem to have forgotten about my own threadLOL What a pillock I am!
Nice story btw -I have a thing for redheads too. Last time it was the other way around though, as I was the one who got seduced. I can't remember much of the opening meet - other than it was on some dancefloor, and she looked like Salma Hayek only with red hair (WowieApprove). After that things are a bit hazy, but I do remember getting back to her apartment doing the horizontal jig - after spilling Bailey's all over her furniture.....Ahem....Oh well, I woke up, fully, and realised what was lurking at the end of her bed. Something which had been staring at me the whole time: dolls! I mean 100s of dolls!LOL I felt like I was in that horrorflick Child's Play surrounded by ChuckysConfusedLOL Suffice to say, that I ran out of the place like my ass was on fire!

Seems like you managed to deal with your little fling a whole lot smoother. You go get em Don JuanBig smile
Anyways, being with a woman who actually appreciates this kind of music is a score all by itself. I mean, Popol Vuh and a chick?!? You got it made my friend!LOL

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 14:03
Originally posted by melotron98 melotron98 wrote:

Personal faves include:

Popol Vuh... I know it for about a year and In den Garten Pharaos is my favourite one. A masterpiece of krautrock that takes the listener in a 40-minute journey where the only limit is your imagination... That ecstasy during listenning Vuh where Florian Fricke did an awesome job on organs. I cannot describe what I feel when I listen to this album. I think is is similar to another krautrock classic by Ash Ra Tempel (we should mention that Manuel Göttsching was 19 when he recorded this piece of pure psychodelia):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTZeaAIDvTo" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTZeaAIDvTo

I like Hosianna Mantra too. The rest posted I have on my PC and I never remember to try them, maybe today I'll do that. :D

Great taste in music dudeThumbs Up Makes me wanna put it on right now - as well as that Ash Ra Tempel album. Krautrock is my thing....big time!
If you like both Ash Ra Tempel and Manuel in his early years, then you gotta check out The Cosmic Jokers. Pretty much a who's who of the scene at the time, heavily drugged up on LSD - without any of them knowing - and then subsequently taped during some wild jams.....again without them knowing. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 14:11
Anyone else who loves this strange tribal album?
Pretty obvious it's the one that came before 'Pharaohs' imo. Uses much of the same ambiances, those stretched out surfaces of sound with added tumultuous bongos. This is almost certainly NOT the one you wanna put on in female companyLOL

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 14:31
Where should I start with Popol Vuh? I've listened to Hosianna Mantra, but wasn't thrilled (at least on first listen).

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 14:33
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Where should I start with Popol Vuh? I've listened to Hosianna Mantra, but wasn't thrilled (at least on first listen).
Hosianna Mantra shows what the Vuh do best - dealing with the atmosphere in their own delicate way, painting sweet oblivion in my head. In other works they simply paint beautiful soundscapes. I guess it's a matter of time before you get into them. If not, then I guess their music isn't for everyone. Nothing mainstream about this band. There is no easy way in.

My personal favorite is their soundtrack work for Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes  (Aguirre, the Wrath of God). Others would probably point to In den Garten Pharaos.

Posted By: melotron98
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 14:36

Personal faves include:

Great taste in music dudeThumbs Up Makes me wanna put it on right now - as well as that Ash Ra Tempel album. Krautrock is my thing....big time!
If you like both Ash Ra Tempel and Manuel in his early years, then you gotta check out The Cosmic Jokers. Pretty much a who's who of the scene at the time, heavily drugged up on LSD - without any of them knowing - and then subsequently taped during some wild jams.....again without them knowing. 
Thank you Guldbamsen. For me both In den Garten Pharaos and Ash Ra Tempel give a kind of spiritual pleasure when I listen to them. Btw Amboss is a little bit sentimental for me because it is one of the first prog pieces I've ever listened to and was caused I love prog so much now. Smile Maybe a little bit weird that I began prog with krautrock but I think it was a good way for me. LOL I'll try The Cosmic Jokers soon, I'm really interested in what it is as you said it sounds a bit psychodelically.

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 14:50
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Hey Tony.

First of all, you gotta find the right mindset for PV. I find it's best listening to them late in the evening or very early in the morning. I have to be completely relaxed bordering on tired, and then I get the most out of the music. For newbies I would probably start out with Seligpreisung, Einsjäger, Salomon or Letzte Tage Letzte Nachte. Think of em as spiritual music, and you'll probably get a bit further;)

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 14:55

<span style="line-height: 1.2;">So what about you people out there - anyone into this band? </span>
Personal faves include:

Popol Vuh... I know it for about a year and In den Garten Pharaos is my favourite one. A masterpiece of krautrock that takes the listener in a 40-minute journey where the only limit is your imagination... That ecstasy during listenning Vuh where Florian Fricke did an awesome job on organs. I cannot describe what I feel when I listen to this album. I think is is similar to another krautrock classic by Ash Ra Tempel (we should mention that <span style="color: rgb84, 84, 84; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 18.200000762939453px;">Manuel Göttsching was 19 when he recorded this piece of pure psychodelia</span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">):</span>

Thank you <span style="line-height: 1.2;">Guldbamsen. For me both In den Garten Pharaos and Ash Ra Tempel give a kind of spiritual pleasure when I listen to them. Btw Amboss is a little bit sentimental for me because it is one of the first prog pieces I've ever listened to and was caused I love prog so much now. Smile Maybe a little bit weird that I began prog with krautrock but I think it was a good way for me. LOL I'll try The Cosmic Jokers soon, I'm really interested in what it is as you said it sounds a bit psychodelically.</span>

Hey no prob:)
I actually got into Krautrock before I got into prog, so we are pretty similar there. If you're interested in some really cool albums from the Krautworld, then I suggest you look up The Krautrock Space, a thread you can find if you scroll back a couple of pages in the prog bands appreciation forum (the same forum you find this thread under;).

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 11 2014 at 11:47

Hey no prob:)
I actually got into Krautrock before I got into prog, so we are pretty similar there. If you're interested in some really cool albums from the Krautworld, then I suggest you look up The Krautrock Space, a thread you can find if you scroll back a couple of pages in the prog bands appreciation forum (the same forum you find this thread under;).

In the earlier incarnations of that thread I was a part of it.

I have since dropped off it, because a lot of the stuff that is posted in there, is not related and there are times, when folks want to call "In a Gadda Da Vida", somethink like "krautrock", if I may make an analogy.

While I do not think that one improvisation makes "krautrock" and the other doesn't, there is something about the inner side of it, that is different for me. I can follow, "visually", and I know this is strange for many folks, almost ALL of the early krautrock things. I can not do so with the Iron Butterfly piece, and some of the SF thing. But I can, for example with Chicago 1 and 2, and the long cuts! Go figure.

To me, there was a certain exploration and feeling, that was important, even if the Helmut Hattler interview in PA is a bit dis-orienting for many of us, when him and Mani were stuck and Mani told him ... just play something ... which kinda tells you that even in those moments, they got stuck, but they did not panic, they continued and the results are in all of those albums.

Some of the bands listed, it's almost like new age ... we will put this here and some sound effects here and it will make people feel like they are in the beach taking in some rays ... and I don't know ... it did not feel the same for me, and I did not enjoy many of those pieces listed. Besides the fact that a choir of ladies does not make angels sing! Not even in imaginary ways!

I tend to think that, specially Popol Vuh, there was a lot more within the internal/psychic levels, that are not easy to discuss and mention and this would be very clear via Florian's wife's words, and the work itself, even if at times it seemed like he was trying out a "ritual" of some sort, to see what it came off like with this kind of music. Thus, a lot of pieces, that are being assimilated with "krautrock" , for me, come off as empty.

Now, let's take another example. Djam Karet's "The Trip" is 47 minutes long, and not for one second did I feel out of place, and to me, that was very much in the spirit of "krautrock", but it did not have the form that most folks here seem to be expecting or want. In fact, one of the things that throws people off, is that there are no beats or drums in the first 17 minutes, which is a very nice element ... stick to the trip ... it's not about the beat ... it's about the trip, and to me, this was perfect, as to what "krautrock" was, that we have forgotten, or do not see.

But I will easily accept that we all can trip differently and on/with different things. I do believe, also, that sometimes, a lot of the difference here might have been some of the drugs, because you do see something else, and that is one of the best teachers for your experience, if you do not undertake silly and socially defined stupid notions of fear and idiocy.

In the end, "krautrock" is about "experience" or as Jimi would say ... "are you experienced?" ... and many of the examples are NOT.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 05:23
Quick (lingual) question here regarding a title of one of PV's albums. I know "jäger" means "hunter". What does "Einsjäger und Siebenjäger" mean? "Seven Hunters Led By One"? "One Hunter Against Seven"? How would it sound good in English?

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 11:59
From.....http://www.furious.com/perfect/populvuh2.html

Einsjäger & Siebenjäger (1974)

This period of Popol Vuh contained one classic album after another, and Einsjäger & Siebenjäger ("ones Soldier & seven soldiers") is no exception. Here we are pared down to the core of Popol Vuh, the musicians that would constitute the heart of the group for years; Florian Fricke, Daniel Fichelscher (who now plays electric guitar, acoustic guitar and percussion) and the return of Djong Yun on vocals. Olaf Kubler, another member from Amon Düül II, guests on flute.

Fichelscher would have an enormous influence on the sound of Popol Vuh, especially now that that Conny Veit was gone, and Fricke seemed more than happy to let his musicians influence the music, whose visions seemed only to enhance his own. Here again we're treated to some of the best music ever to emerge from the "rock" genre, and there must have been a lot of overdubbing going on, as the drums, electric and acoustic guitars are often exhibited simultaneously, winding in and around each other in a magnificent way. Fricke's piano is much less to the fore here as in previous works, only emerging periodically to guide the way.

Side one contains five shorter superb instrumental tracks. The only negative one could really come up with in the work of Daniel Fichelscher is perhaps his over-reliance of cymbal crashes as part of his drumming style. While this can occasionally wear, it also fits in with a style of music that ebbs and flows and continually goes for higher and yet still more dramatic highs. Nowhere is this demonstrated more than on the sidelong nineteen-plus minute track on side two, "Einsjäger & Siebenjäger." We are again joined by the occasional soaring vocals of Djong Yun, and this is the one track in Popol Vuh's entire career that comes closest to the realms of progressive rock in terms of structure. By the time it's over, one is left exhausted, yet exalted - another indispensable work from another near-perfect album.

There are two bonus tracks on this CD. The first is the wonderful 1:55 "King Minos II," which oddly enough sounds nothing like "King Minos I" from Einsjäger, but more like a stripped down and shorter version of "Song of Earth" from their 1985 album Spirit of Peace. The second bonus track, the 5:42 "Wo bist Du?" is virtually identical to "Wo bist Du, der Du überwunden hast?" from the 1979 album Die Nacht Der Seele - Tantric Songs, which is odd to say the least. It's a beautiful song, though, so I'm not complaining.

http://www.furious.com/perfect/populvuh2.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.furious.com/perfect/populvuh2.html

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 23:30
I'm really starting to get into this band. I bought five albums today. I really dig Fichelscher's guitar work. So pure and full of emotion.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 23:43
^ Yeah, his compositions, nearly all of them, are fantastic. "Morgengruß"/"Morgengruß II", "Kleiner Krieger", "Der Große Krieger" (don't get Letzte Tage just yet ) - all of them are superb.

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 23:55
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ Yeah, his compositions, nearly all of them, are fantastic. "Morgengruß"/"Morgengruß II", "Kleiner Krieger", "Der Große Krieger" (don't get Letzte Tage just yet ) - all of them are superb.

Yeah, I'll wait on Letzte Tage for now. Smile I've been looking at that soundtrack box set even thought I already bought the single issue of Aguirre, it certainly looks enticing.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk