Print Page | Close Window

Änglagård discussions

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=89566
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 05:06
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Änglagård discussions
Posted By: The_Jester
Subject: Änglagård discussions
Date Posted: September 12 2012 at 22:09
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> I'd say this band is one of the most awesome band there ever was. Their music is original and greatly done! I'd like to know what ProgArchives think about them.

-------------
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Replies:
Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: September 12 2012 at 22:21
what's not to like--  sadly I only own Hybris but I mean to get 'em all this year

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: September 12 2012 at 22:25
Everyone on ProgArchives loves them.
Except Epignosis.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: September 12 2012 at 22:42
I have their first two, don't have the new one yet. The bad thing about Anglagard is prolific they are not.  I did kind of miss the vocals somewhat on Epilog.  And I've heard the new one is all instrumental as well, not that there is anything wrong with that, but I thought the vocals did add something to the music that was missing from Epilog.

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: September 12 2012 at 22:42
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Everyone on ProgArchives loves them.
Except Epignosis.

And me.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: September 12 2012 at 22:44
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> Why don't you like them?

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: September 12 2012 at 22:50
Well, based only on Hybris, to my ears at least, the music is lifeless.  I know some people would say that a lot of the music I tend to love, being on the Avant/RIO team, could arguably be considered the same, but...I don't know, it resonates better with me personally than Anglagard.  I can't even explain how Anglagard's music seems lifeless to me, but after many listens to Hybris I could not get into the music in any way.  

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: September 13 2012 at 01:20
Hybris was a completely unique recording to my ears , a very rare event for post 80's prog rock. Epilog is very good and the recent recording is more of the same with very little evolution tbh. The appeal of Anglagard is very simple , they make ambient symphonic prog. The only thing I've heard that is similar is Trespass probably because of the flute.

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: September 13 2012 at 01:44
Anglagard is amazing. Truly inspiring music. Comes off as very heavy to me. It gives off a such a dark atmosphere.

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: September 13 2012 at 13:53
Great band.  I must say the new album, for me, blows away the other two on the whole (though Hybris has a couple tracks that are easily their best).

I find it kind of crazy that I, an American living in central Pennsylvania, have seen them perform live on two occasions.  I suspect not many Swedes have seen them that many times LOL

Date Posted: September 13 2012 at 16:07
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Hybris was a completely unique recording to my ears , a very rare event for post 80's prog rock. Epilog is very good and the recent recording is more of the same with very little evolution tbh. The appeal of Anglagard is very simple , they make ambient symphonic prog. The only thing I've heard that is similar is Trespass probably because of the flute.

I agree they are mostly an ambient band. The ambience in their songs is really dark I love having them. I also like focusing on their music because it is really greatly made. Considering musical theory it is really interesting to listen to.

-------------

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: September 13 2012 at 19:15
Love their albums, it was a privilege to get to see them at NF. The new album and the NF performance are highlights of the year for me.

Finally a band me & Salty Jon disagree on!! I knew there had to be one.Tongue

Posted By: Zombywoof
Date Posted: September 13 2012 at 21:02
They are fantastic. The new album is my favorite and they stole the show at NEARfest. Its a pleasure to have seen them and to have formed somewhat of a friendship with them.

-------------
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...

Posted By: MillsLayne
Date Posted: September 14 2012 at 01:16
I do enjoy all three of their albums.  The musicianship is solid and they do have somewhat of a distinctive sound.  However, I do wish they wouldn't gone completely instrumental after Hybris.  Even though their lyrics weren't in English, having vocals added a layer to the music on Hybris that is missing on the other two albums.  

-------------
http://gamercards.exophase.com/xbox/user/MillsLayne/" rel="nofollow">

ht

Date Posted: September 14 2012 at 01:30
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

I do enjoy all three of their albums.  The musicianship is solid and they do have somewhat of a distinctive sound.  However, I do wish they wouldn't gone completely instrumental after Hybris.  Even though their lyrics weren't in English, having vocals added a layer to the music on Hybris that is missing on the other two albums.  
Agreed.I think the vocals add to the atmosphere and feel of the music

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 14 2012 at 18:03
I may add that I enjoy the vocals in Hybris exactly because they are in swedish, even if I don't understand anything that is sung, and even if I haven't heard their other two albums (I hope to do so soon), I expect I will miss those vocals.

Posted By: MillsLayne
Date Posted: September 15 2012 at 02:29
Yeah, I did, too.  But, knowing that there aren't vocals in the other two albums, it should help you to soften your expectations a little and let you enjoy the music more.

-------------
http://gamercards.exophase.com/xbox/user/MillsLayne/" rel="nofollow">

ht

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 15 2012 at 14:09
Indeed, I hope the get those albums soon. The last one has been getting such great reviews that I must hear it.

Posted By: angelodevita
Date Posted: July 14 2013 at 15:12
Does anyone know what the cover art for Hybris means? It looks like a sun, a mandala...but what is the true meaning?

-------------
Ice blue silver sky
Fades into grey
To a grey hope that oh yearns to be

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: July 14 2013 at 23:23
I only have Hybris but I think it's great.  I remember discovering the trilogy of great Swedish prog bands all at the same time (Anekdoten, Anglagard, & Landberk)...all very unique and cool in their own ways.

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: July 14 2013 at 23:57

I have Hybris and Viljans Oga. They are really unique albums, but very hard to digest without multiple diligent listens, especially the latter. Definitely not easy listening, but music of that caliber shouldn't be considered as such. I love them both for different reasons. Hybris I prefer, but Viljans Oga is distinctive enough to stand alone as an exceptional prog album.

I actually didn't miss the vocals; it seemed to me the tracks didn't need them to create such a unique set of moods and atmospheres, so including them might have been distracting, as dense as everything already was.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 15 2013 at 01:01
Anglagard are possibly THE BEST thing that happened to Prog in the early-90's.  All 3 studio albums are beyond belief in intricacy, complexity, arrangement etc.  Incredible musicians, they run rings around lots of the more famous Prog musos.  Very difficult to pick a favourite but their latest is an absolute thrill-fest start to finish (just more to enjoy, I guess).
I really wish they'd re-issue 'Hybris' on LP one day (even if the Digipak CD I have is very nice) - prices for the original LP (on Colours) are waaaay overblown - I bought my 'Epilog' LP for 30 bucks years ago and Viljans Oga for a little more last year. 

Date Posted: July 15 2013 at 01:19
I've found the latest album a lot tougher to listen to than Hybris. I have to give them the benefit of the doubt and persevere if only because the level of musicianship is the very highest. I need more time to 'get it' perhaps.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: July 15 2013 at 05:13
I only have Hybris. I didn't like it much at first, but it grew on me.
I'm curious about the other albums now too. 
They do have some similarities with some other Scandinavian bands, don't you think?
Anekdoten for instance. Some say Landberk as well. I'd also day White Willow. The combination of the sweet, the heavy and the barren, almost like a desolate landscape.

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: July 15 2013 at 05:22

I've found the latest album a lot tougher to listen to than Hybris. I have to give them the benefit of the doubt and persevere if only because the level of musicianship is the very highest. I need more time to 'get it' perhaps.

Sadly, as much as it's still rather good, for me the latest one is not a patch on the previous two. It doesn't have that sense of flow, the constant reprises that the first two albums have. Strangely, I also get quite sick of it by about the half way point and rarely hear the album all the way through to the end. It's noisy, fragmented and abrasive, too many little sections and ideas that don't really form together too well.

But...it's certainly not a case of a band running out of ideas. Just a different approach than before, experimenting, and definately not merely repeating themselves. Guess I admire it more than actually like it.

I also noticed that, personally for me, I can think of endless other fairly recent instrumental albums that wipe the floor with it.

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: July 15 2013 at 08:34
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

They do have some similarities with some other Scandinavian bands, don't you think?
Anekdoten for instance. Some say Landberk as well. I'd also day White Willow. The combination of the sweet, the heavy and the barren, almost like a desolate landscape.

Well, the (now former) drummer Mattias Olsen plays drums on two White Willow albums (their second, and their most recent).

I love the newest Anglagard album, more than the previous two actually.  Probably because I heard a couple of the tracks live, and they were highlights of the performance.

I really don't see the new lineup as being a good thing.......I can't imagine Anglagard without Mattias behind the drum kit.  I guess a new album is being worked on, so we'll see I guess.  For those that like vocals, Tord is back in the band, so I understand the next album will feature vocals again.

Date Posted: July 15 2013 at 08:41
Incredible bands.... it's always a good surprise when you find a group of musicians that are dedicated in playing music in a KC way... so inspiring

-------------
Ice blue silver sky
Fades into grey

Date Posted: July 15 2013 at 08:47
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Well, the (now former) drummer Mattias Olsen plays drums on two White Willow albums (their second, and their most recent).

I love the newest Anglagard album, more than the previous two actually.  Probably because I heard a couple of the tracks live, and they were highlights of the performance.

I really don't see the new lineup as being a good thing.......I can't imagine Anglagard without Mattias behind the drum kit.  I guess a new album is being worked on, so we'll see I guess.  For those that like vocals, Tord is back in the band, so I understand the next album will feature vocals again.

Yeah, I was really impressed by the percussion in Hybris... Mattias was one of the best surprises I had at the time. Never heard of White Willow, but it seems unique... thanks bro

-------------
Ice blue silver sky
Fades into grey

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 15 2013 at 22:19
Originally posted by angelodevita angelodevita wrote:

Does anyone know what the cover art for Hybris means? It looks like a sun, a mandala...but what is the true meaning?

Well...all 3 cd's have a picture of a young girl/woman as the cover theme done in different forms.On Epilog the face is  hidden in the woods and if you look carefully the face on Hybris is that of a young woman also.

This is from the unofficial website linked to on wiki.....

Who came up with the bandname? What does it mean?
"I think it was Tord. His story was that his grandmother as a young girl had a box with paperdoll pictures of Angels and she called the box Änglagård. A farm of Angels." (Mattias O. in
http://www.anglagard.net/interview01.htm" rel="nofollow - this interview )

Perhaps it's a tribute to his grandmother as a young girl.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: July 15 2013 at 22:36
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Well...all 3 cd's have a picture of a young girl/woman as the cover theme done in different forms.On Epilog the face is  hidden in the woods and if you look carefully the face on Hybris is that of a young woman also.

"I think it was Tord. His story was that his grandmother as a young girl had a box with paperdoll pictures of Angels and she called the box Änglagård. A farm of Angels." (Mattias O. in
http://www.anglagard.net/interview01.htm" rel="nofollow - )

Awesome...makes sense!

One thing I saw in one the reviews for Hybris, was that it may be a tribute to KC Larks' Tongue in Aspic. Both albums look similar, with the sun in the center...and not to mention the resemblance between the music

-------------
Ice blue silver sky
Fades into grey

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: July 15 2013 at 22:40
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Sadly, as much as it's still rather good, for me the latest one is not a patch on the previous two. It doesn't have that sense of flow, the constant reprises that the first two albums have. Strangely, I also get quite sick of it by about the half way point and rarely hear the album all the way through to the end. It's noisy, fragmented and abrasive, too many little sections and ideas that don't really form together too well.

But...it's certainly not a case of a band running out of ideas. Just a different approach than before, experimenting, and definately not merely repeating themselves. Guess I admire it more than actually like it.

I also noticed that, personally for me, I can think of endless other fairly recent instrumental albums that wipe the floor with it.

Hybris will probably always be my favourite of their three studio allbums and yes i'd rate Epilog ahead of the new one. Maybe as richardh says the new one is simply a tougher listen. Now considering I gave it 5 stars means I obviously was veyr impressed, but I prefer the nineties releases.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: July 16 2013 at 01:16
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Hybris will probably always be my favourite of their three studio allbums and yes i'd rate Epilog ahead of the new one. Maybe as richardh says the new one is simply a tougher listen. Now considering I gave it 5 stars means I obviously was veyr impressed, but I prefer the nineties releases.

I've held off reviewing it as my instinct is to mark it down but I think part of the problem is the large gap between Epilog and Viljan Oga.  Hybris especially has become as important in my mind as any of the seventies classic symph albums and now we have something new to ponder over. Its a brave and committed work certainly. I think my feelings towards it are mirrored by Glass Hammers If which is a similarly dense offering although a different style of symph. I'm only just coming round to liking that but its been a struggle.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 16 2013 at 11:24

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

http://www.anglagard.net/interview01.htm" rel="nofollow - this interview )

Awesome...makes sense!

One thing I saw in one the reviews for Hybris, was that it may be a tribute to KC Larks' Tongue in Aspic. Both albums look similar, with the sun in the center...and not to mention the resemblance between the music

The KC connection is certainly possible though it doesn't really look all that much like the sun and moon logo to me.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: July 16 2013 at 16:18

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I've held off reviewing it as my instinct is to mark it down but I think part of the problem is the large gap between Epilog and Viljan Oga.  Hybris especially has become as important in my mind as any of the seventies classic symph albums and now we have something new to ponder over. Its a brave and committed work certainly. I think my feelings towards it are mirrored by Glass Hammers If which is a similarly dense offering although a different style of symph. I'm only just coming round to liking that but its been a struggle.

I still don't know how to rate it personally. While I'm listening to it, I think 4, but for some reason after like three hours go by I think it's a 5. Maybe it's the kind of album that's simply too dense to assess in the context of the immediate musical impact. Maybe I need to listen to it a few more times still... I've had it since Christmas of this past year, but it doesn't make it in the rotation as often as others.

Date Posted: July 20 2013 at 01:00
Okay, so I listened to it again a few hours ago, and I've made up my mind: it's a 5 star album for sure. It's just an album that is very easily influenced by the context in which you listen to it, very much more so than others in my collection.

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: July 20 2013 at 01:04
Not a huge fan of Änglagår, their debut LP is too epigone for me. Their new LP is a bit better though.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Djam Karet
Date Posted: August 23 2013 at 18:36
I love these guys! Who doesn't? They're GREAT!

Posted By: warrplayer
Date Posted: August 24 2013 at 08:12
A DK/Anglagard teamup/collaboration/side project would probably blow some minds, Gayle!

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: August 25 2013 at 22:11
Originally posted by Djam Karet Djam Karet wrote:

I love these guys! Who doesn't? They're GREAT!
Their newest album is superb and sublime...

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: August 26 2013 at 13:32
Never listened to Anglagard until earlier this year.  Threw on Viljians Oga and just about cried.  A beautifully emotional album.  This is what I imagine in my head where symphonic prog would have went if it kept progressing

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk