Print Page | Close Window

Big Big Train Appreciation

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=89606
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 11:01
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Big Big Train Appreciation
Posted By: Horizons
Subject: Big Big Train Appreciation
Date Posted: September 15 2012 at 22:28
Surprising, there hasn't been an appreciation thread for this wonderful band!

I was introduced to this band by Andy Webb via Listening Room, and wasn't blown away though. But after a while i decided to check them out. 

Like most people, i started with the epic Underfall Yard album, and it blew me away. Truly symphonic and mesmerizing. The vocals from David and harmonies from the band with the soothing, serene atmospheres made an enticing album indeed.

Then, i went to The Difference Machine because i liked the album's structure. I loved it even more than Underfall Yard. Perfect Cosmic Storm was the true highlight (i also realized that it was the song played to me by Andy). The drumming is also a strong factor that keeps me entertained. The talented Nick d'Virgilio has played on their albums since The Difference Machine and is an official member. 

Since the release of Far Skies, Deep Time i've been hooked. I think they are one of the best bands still making music. I recently started listening to their first 4 albums. I've been liking Gathering Speed the most. Though i like them all with the few listens so far. I'm not so sure why they aren't rated a bit higher, or at least rated/reviewed more. 

I've only heard the single from their new album, English Electric, but even that has made me interested enough to already look into ordering it on Amazon. 

Here are two tracks from lesser-listened albums that i love. 

Do you love this band :O!
Do you think they're Crossover? Wacko
Favorite tracks?albums?
Have you bought English Electric already?

Also - streaming of their entire discography except Bard
Yes, that does mean English Electric!
http://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Replies:
Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: September 16 2012 at 08:00
Good morning, I really love this band too. I only have The Underfall Yard at the moment-tremendous album. It contains everything I love about music: melody, harmonies, amazing musicianship, stellar song structure, lyrics that tell stories, etc.etc. 

I have listened to some of their earlier albums on line, but haven't been able to purchase yet. Really want to get English Electric Part 1, the excerpts I've heard sound terrific. 

They are definitely a band I want to add more and more of to my collection!

Date Posted: September 16 2012 at 13:44
^ I would follow the road i took then as well. Listen to the remarkable The Difference Machine!

-------------

Posted By: Trisageon
Date Posted: September 17 2012 at 00:15
I found them on a random thread on here, I checked out The Underfall Yard. I'd become pretty jaded with symphonic prog and music in general and they seemed maybe something fresh and unfamiliar. It was pleasant but didn't grab me right away, but then I kept going back for Victorian Brickwork, and the rest of the shorter songs began to grow on me until I decided to tackle the title track again. It was in the moody depths of the track ("No band played, there was no sound...") and then the reintroduction of the Evening Star theme that I realized how rare and special this music was. Nothing takes on quite the journey that album does.

Since then I've gotten Far Skies Deep Time, which is an excellent companion piece to The Underfall Yard with some of my new favorite tracks, The Difference Machine which I'm still undecided on, Goodbye To The Age Of Steam (good music, but it's so far from the sound I'm used to from them), and now English Electric. I've had that album on repeat for the past week and a half, and it's definitely usurping a lot of albums in my favorites list. I'm really enjoying David Longdon's writing contributions and I think he and Greg strike a great balance between joy and melancholy.

I don't know if it surpasses TUY for me or not. They're both identifiably Big Big Train, but different faces of the same group. For now I'll say there's room for both in my music rotation and I think ranking them does a disservice to some very talented musicians. Also, can't wait for part 2 in March!

Apologies for the wall of text, they just get the passion flowing!

Posted By: menawati
Date Posted: September 17 2012 at 17:59
Really want to like them as all the ingredients are there for me. It all leaves me a bit underwhelmed tho, will keep spinning English Electric tho maybe it will eventually get under my skin.

Date Posted: September 17 2012 at 18:03
^ I hope so. English Electric seems to be another masterful release. 

-------------

Posted By: Master of Time
Date Posted: September 17 2012 at 18:03
I love Big Big Train. I have Underfall Yard, Far Skies Deep Time, and English Electric Pt. 1 and love every single one of them. I haven't listened to any of the others though since the band is so different before Underfall Yard with no David Longdon and Nick only guesting. It took me awhile to completely take to them, I found them a tad boring, but after closer listens I learned how great they are and grew to love them.

Date Posted: September 17 2012 at 18:06
The Difference Machine and Gathering Speed are fantastic albums that have a real strong vocalist, Sean Filkins. He has some similarities to David too imo. 

-------------

Posted By: fraanco3
Date Posted: September 28 2012 at 15:48
You are in for a massive treat with English Electric Pt. 1. Blows the doors off of the others!!

Date Posted: September 28 2012 at 16:11
I still havent listened to it unfortunately, but it looks like it deserves all the high praise it has been getting.

-------------

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: September 28 2012 at 16:13
The Difference Machine is still their best album.

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: September 28 2012 at 16:17
I have you to thank for my love of that album! Their ep is magical though, wish I had Kingslayer though..

-------------

Posted By: Federico95
Date Posted: September 30 2012 at 10:50
Their last album is amazing! They can realize incredibly catchy melodies with extreme naturalness, and make them fit with a great sound research and a fantastic musicianship... Uncle Jack is probably the most evident example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p-FMZimFiM&feature=related

What else should I listen to by them?

Posted By: Monadology
Date Posted: September 30 2012 at 11:05

The Underfall Yard is a must listen, and The Difference Machine is also excellent. If you haven't listened to one of those yet, I urge you to do so. 

Posted By: JonnyM79
Date Posted: October 02 2012 at 16:04
I was just thinking today about starting a BBT thread and find the job done :)  What inspired me was English Electric Part 1.  I said in my review that I thought it was the prog album of the century so far - that's how highly I rate it, and if you like the last 2 releases (both of which were strong) then  this just blows the socks off them!

Date Posted: October 03 2012 at 14:28
Originally posted by JonnyM79 JonnyM79 wrote:

I was just thinking today about starting a BBT thread and find the job done :)  What inspired me was English Electric Part 1.  I said in my review that I thought it was the prog album of the century so far - that's how highly I rate it, and if you like the last 2 releases (both of which were strong) then  this just blows the socks off them!

I don't know if it is the album of the century, because I think that it is a race between it, Echolyn and the two Haken albums... But it is surely a perfect album for me :)

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: October 03 2012 at 14:37
I've still got to wait another week before Amazon deliver my cdOuch

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: October 04 2012 at 06:35
I ordered it on the internet with Echolyn's last studio album... 45 euros :\

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: October 04 2012 at 07:10
English Electric pt 1 is a stunning album, masterpiece and is making a deserved impact in the prog community.

-------------

Date Posted: October 09 2012 at 15:21
CD arrived today, and on now, so I can officially end my "oi, postman, where the f##k is my CD?" rantLOL

First impressions - quite brilliant.

-------------

Date Posted: October 09 2012 at 16:29
Stunning, brilliant, and English to its very core. Very favourable review will follow in the next couple of weeks.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 10 2012 at 01:29

Should drop onto my mat in the next few days (possibly today). Hopefully it will live up to the hype.

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: November 06 2012 at 04:48
Listened to English Electric Part One three times last week on Progstreaming and... didn't get it. I mean, it's a solid album, good music but... Best of the year? Not for me. Also, 14th best prog album EVER?? Surely this is momentary hype that will soon fade away - unless I'm really missing something, in which case, please let me know. 

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 06 2012 at 05:00
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Listened to English Electric Part One three times last week on Progstreaming and... didn't get it. I mean, it's a solid album, good music but... Best of the year? Not for me. Also, 14th best prog album EVER?? Surely this is momentary hype that will soon fade away - unless I'm really missing something, in which case, please let me know. 

I think this album is a quite a biggie: one of the (at least) two 5-star albums this year has seen until now (the other is echolyn's self-titled album). I'd say English Electric Part One is the 2010's equivalent to Selling England by the Pound. I would not be surprised if this album will keep its high ranking, though I agree that the fanboys are usually the most eager to review or rate an album.

-------------

Posted By: Lord Jagged
Date Posted: November 08 2012 at 04:31
I was rather sceptical to begin with - but the album is indeed excellent. I should imagine it helps to be English to catch all the references and idioms though.

-------------
Dead Souls In The Rear View Mirror Hitch A Ride For A While..

Posted By: Ytse_Jam
Date Posted: November 08 2012 at 05:06
EE pt1 is a good album, I loved it. Their other stuff left me a bit bored, though...

Posted By: Topjukes
Date Posted: November 08 2012 at 19:09
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I think this album is a quite a biggie: one of the (at least) two 5-star albums this year has seen until now (the other is echolyn's self-titled album). I'd say English Electric Part One is the 2010's equivalent to Selling England by the Pound. I would not be surprised if this album will keep its high ranking, though I agree that the fanboys are usually the most eager to review or rate an album.

Well, thanks from a grateful record label! Plane Groovy have been thrilled to have the opportunity to put both of these albums out on vinyl and for me they both get better with every listen.

-------------
www.planegroovy.com - for the music you always wanted to hear on vinyl!

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: November 09 2012 at 20:21
I still haven't heard English Electric... probably should do that soon. I really love the Underfall Yard, so I'm looking forward to exploring this band's discography.

Posted By: Mr. Mustard
Date Posted: November 09 2012 at 20:59
Just got English Electric a week ago and man is it good. Cool mix of Genesis, PFM and maybe KC, but totally unique. Not to mention they used just about every instrument I can think of.

Posted By: elbownut
Date Posted: November 16 2012 at 15:05
Excellent music. Great songs, melodies, musicianship and lyrics.

Having being brought up in Dorset, I can also relate to some of the places mentioned such as Upton heath .

Posted By: menawati
Date Posted: November 16 2012 at 15:09
I was really underwhelmed by English Electric at first. Maybe the hype on here got to me and I expected too much. But after many listens I now love it.

-------------
They flutter behind you your possible pasts,
Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: November 16 2012 at 16:24
I got into the band with The Underfall Yard because it was promoted here primarily. I had some money to spare at that time so I went on a catalog raid. I like everything I picked up and they have turned into one of my most get the new release asap bands. I may not have totally put my finger on what appeals to me. The embracing and refining of older form of prog perhaps...

Posted By: Progirl
Date Posted: November 17 2012 at 16:01
I too love BBT. In my usual way, I randomly discovered English Electric Part One,via the prograchives top albums, listened to it. loved it; then within about week invested in Underfall  Yard, From the River to the Sea. And I've now moved on to the pre-David Longdon albums. I love this band, I'm not an old Genesis fan, though did see Gabriel in the early 80s. But I just love BBT, I love their mixture of Englishness, nostalgia, storytelling, as well as clever recycling of old prog and rock/indie from (yes) Genesis to Prefab Sprout to Kate Bush. A wonderful band, can't wait till English Electric Part 2, and I would love to see them play live.

Date Posted: November 18 2012 at 09:47

After about 5 listens I'm still not sure how good it is. The opening track is a gem but there seems to be a lot that is a bit ho hum. The end bit is genius but I'm not feeling as enchanted by it as others seem to be. Not bad though.

Posted By: sigod
Date Posted: November 22 2012 at 08:50
I'm loving EE Pt1 and certainly find it to be the most rewarding listen this year alongside Echolyn's latest.

Much like British Racing Green from their previous mini album 'Far Skies, Deep Time' the song Uncle Jack is a total earworm and the way they weave the melodic vocal theme back into the final song Hedgrow, approaches near genius levels of arrangement skill in my opinion.

Talented b*****ds. Smile

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 11:15
When listening to their most recent albums I can't but help think  if only Genesis had gone it this direction...  But that's OK guys, enjoy your commercial success, we have Big Big Train. Big smile

If you're on Facebook, be sure and join the Big Big Train group.  It's rather active.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 13:38
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

When listening to their most recent albums I can't but help think  if only Genesis had gone it this direction...  But that's OK guys, enjoy your commercial success, we have Big Big Train. Big smile

If you're on Facebook, be sure and join the Big Big Train group.  It's rather active.

I find room to love both, BrianSmile

-------------

Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 14:58
I haven't bothered to add any Genesis on CD post Abacab, which I like, even the oft reviled Whodunnit?.  Though I did get a cheap used copy of Calling All Stations, which is OK.

But for me Genesis really left a void when they went commercial although I was along for the ride for a while and have Invisible Touch and Shapes on LP. 

But particularly from Gathering Speed onward they have filled that void better than any neo-prog artists have been able to do.  Marillion came somewhat close for a while.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Mr. Maestro
Date Posted: December 09 2012 at 18:12
English Electric is a legitimate masterpiece and deserves every ounce of praise it's gotten.  But The Difference Machine is still my favorite.  I enjoyed the post-rock/VdGG influences more than the Genesis stuff, and I was a little disappointed that they changed their sound so much for The Underfall Yard.  Still a great album, though.

-------------
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: December 11 2012 at 13:42
All the hype has gotten me to "star" English Electric on Spotify. Will check out today or tomorrow, hopefully.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: Lord Jagged
Date Posted: December 11 2012 at 13:50
I must admit I was underwhelmed by Underfall Yard, but English Electric really is a good album. I can't say I play it much though - I think you have to be in a certain mood for it.

-------------
Dead Souls In The Rear View Mirror Hitch A Ride For A While..

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 04:55
EE Part 2 arrived in post today.

Listening to it now...first track a 15min epic ! Smile

-------------
"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"

Posted By: fusaka
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 16:18
English Electric Part Two is also available right now on their bandcamp page  http://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/  

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/fusaka/" rel="nofollow - my last.fm

Posted By: jdredfield
Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 19:50
can't wait to hear the difference machine.  I was blown away when I first heard these guys! how can music like this go unnoticed in the world?!Cry

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 20:22
^ The Difference Machine is what hooked me. Even their old material is fabulous. Check it all out!

-------------

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: March 04 2013 at 02:39
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

After about 5 listens I'm still not sure how good it is. The opening track is a gem but there seems to be a lot that is a bit ho hum. The end bit is genius but I'm not feeling as enchanted by it as others seem to be. Not bad though.

My view is something like this.

EE1 is a very good album but for me the material is not as strong as The Underfall Yard and certainly not as strong as the Far Skies Deep Time ep which I think is their best release.  Incidentally even though it's classed as an ep it's longer than some full-length albums (approx 43 mins).

Posted By: Morsenator
Date Posted: March 04 2013 at 03:07
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

EE1 is a very good album but for me the material is not as strong as The Underfall Yard and certainly not as strong as the Far Skies Deep Time ep which I think is their best release.  Incidentally even though it's classed as an ep it's longer than some full-length albums (approx 43 mins).

Far Skies Deep Time is also my favourite, from those I've heard. The Wide Open Sea is an amazing epic. Liked EE1 a lot but I don't think it's truly a masterpiece (although The First Rebreather really is a modern classic). The Underfall Yard didn't doo much for me, although I do think it's good as well. Just had a first listen of EE2 yesterday via bandcamp, sounded promising but I can't decide yet how much I like it. 

-------------
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: Duke of Rother
Date Posted: March 04 2013 at 06:19
EE2 is a thing of beauty.

Played it 6 times now and I'm still picking up new things that bring joy to the heart.

Looks like they have a lot on the go for the next year or so which is great news!

Next comes English Electric Full Power - combining the 2 albums, with a different running order and 3 new tracks which will also be available as an EP.

Then comes Station Masters, a triple album of re-recordings of old material. Really pleased about that because there is some great stuff on earlier albums some of which (for me) never quite comes alive, and having the new contributors get their teeth into them, adding David Longdon's vocals, the violins and brass sections that have sprouted in recent times, and that extra touch of smoothness and maturity, will be superb.

Plus they are already recording their next studio album of new material which is slated for release in 2015.

(There - that's my 1st post....)

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: March 04 2013 at 07:26

EE1 is a very good album but for me the material is not as strong as The Underfall Yard

Ditto, I feel the same way

and certainly not as strong as the Far Skies Deep Time ep which I think is their best release.  Incidentally even though it's classed as an ep it's longer than some full-length albums (approx 43 mins).
I'l have to get that one, one more in my endless 'want list' Unhappy

Date Posted: March 04 2013 at 18:41
Just listened to EE2. Very beautiful. I don't think anything will touch EE1 at this point though.

-------------

Posted By: Steven in Atlanta
Date Posted: March 05 2013 at 12:25
Did I read correctly that guitarist Dave Gregory is not on EE2?

Date Posted: March 05 2013 at 13:07
No, he's on it.

Date Posted: March 05 2013 at 19:58
I really appreciate getting a try out on streaming at bandcamp.  I'll be getting a hard copy before too long.

-------------

Posted By: TrickedTail
Date Posted: March 05 2013 at 21:25
Originally posted by Mr. Mustard Mr. Mustard wrote:

Just listened to EE2. Very beautiful. I don't think anything will touch EE1 at this point though.

EE1 is near unbeatable. It's a hard album to approach in that regard. I've listened all the way through four times, and am in agreement that EE1 edges it (and probably everything else) but I still think EE2 is brilliant.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/NurseryCryminal/?chartstyle=basic10" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: March 06 2013 at 02:45
I rate them equally but think Danny Manners' piano adds an extra touch that was not on EE1. Both magnificent albums.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: March 06 2013 at 03:33
I am listening EE2 for the fourth time now. I would rate EE1 5 stars and I think I would give EE2 4.5 stars (may become 5, it's still growing on me). And the sum is even more than the separated parts.

Originally posted by Steven in Atlanta Steven in Atlanta wrote:

Did I read correctly that guitarist Dave Gregory is not on EE2?

The line-up list on PA is incomplete. Both Dave Gregory and Danny Manners should be included.

-------------

Posted By: Allanpoe
Date Posted: March 06 2013 at 13:18
EE2 is a darker, edgier album than EE1. More presence of Dave Gregory guitar and beatiful piano work by Manners.

Big Big Train is the best prog band nowadays

period 

Date Posted: March 09 2013 at 19:48
After my 6th listen I can safely say this is just as good as EE1. The highlight for me is 'East Coast Racer,' but the crazy  part is everything else is just as good. I definitely appreciate the piano work and the reprises of 'Summoned By Bells' and 'Hedgerow,' which were my favorite two tracks from the last album.

-------------

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: March 10 2013 at 05:52
Still don't get it.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 10:06
Amazingly I heard Hedgerow played on Radio 2 yesterday! World domination next!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 10:24

Amazingly I heard Hedgerow played on Radio 2 yesterday! World domination next!
Wow, I'd been thinking that Uncle Jack would be good for a radio play as well.

EE1 has got into my brain now, absolutely wonderful stuff. Need to get EE2 now as well.

Posted By: Dalex_61
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 04:24
I simply can't say how much I like BBT's "English Electric" albums. There's a perfect balance between simplicity and refinement. A treat. Smile

-------------
My prog little place is here:
http://progrocklittleplace.blogspot.it/

Posted By: JediJoker7169
Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 05:03
I'm not sure how many times I've listened to English Electric Part One at this point.  To me, it is one of the most perfect albums (musically/programmatically speaking) I have ever witnessed, and I was hooked from the very first listen.  Last week I finally had the time to listen all the way through both Part One and Part Two (in 24-bit in my home studio Smile).  That was my first listen for Part Two, and I've had one more complete listen (on CD on my entertainment system) to just this second part, albeit in three smaller chunks as my schedule permitted.  After the first listen, unlike with Part One, I was a bit underwhelmed with two exceptions: "Worked Out" and "Leopards."  Since then, "We're working men, we follow the seam," and the string quartet intro to "Leopards" have been going 'round and 'round inside my head, much to my delight.  That was what pushed me to listen a second time, even though I didn't have the time to do it in one sitting as is my preference when becoming acquainted with an album.  On the second listen, I noticed more of the details and found more to like about the other tracks that I had missed the first time around.  Clearly, this album is going to be a grower for me.  I'll enjoy it more and more as I have more time to absorb it.

So, obviously, I need to keep listening to Part Two!  I'll definitely give it another spin (albeit in MP3 on my iPod) during my travels this week.

Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 07:40
Big Big Train got played on national BBC radio 2 again  this morning on Bob Harris Sunday.

The track played was Winchester from St Giles Hill ( EE pt1 )

Last week he played Uncle Jack ( from same album)

By the sounds of it, they have a new fan in "whispering" Bob !Thumbs Up

-------------
"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"

Posted By: Nov
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 08:19
Originally posted by elbownut elbownut wrote:

Big Big Train got played on national BBC radio 2 again  this morning on Bob Harris Sunday.

The track played was Winchester from St Giles Hill ( EE pt1 )

Last week he played Uncle Jack ( from same album)

By the sounds of it, they have a new fan in "whispering" Bob !Thumbs Up

This is rather special I think and a great boost for the band Wink

Have a listen here from around 1 hour & 6 minutes:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r6npc" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r6npc

How amazing it is to hear this over the airwaves with some very nice words from whispering Bob Smile

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 17:18

I ordered EE Part Two from CD Baby.  They had it for a regular decent price.  Amazon only had it for import prices.  Looking forward to hearing it when it arrives.

-------------

Posted By: sukmytoe
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 17:32
Love Big Big Train's music - I don't get the early Genesis comparrison though that many seem to hear. Aside from that the latest three BBT releases are at the top of my regular playlist and will stay there for a long while yet. Love Sean Filkins War and Peace and other short stories album as well.

Posted By: axeman
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 19:26
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Like most people, i started with the epic Underfall Yard album, and it blew me away. ...Then, i went to The Difference Machine because i liked the album's structure. I loved it even more than Underfall Yard.
I was actually thinking of starting a Difference Machine Appreciation "sub-thread". It seems that people think the brilliance started at Underfall Yard. I was floored by Machine a couple of years before Yard came out. 

I don't place them in the same order. I think Yard is superior to Machine. But just in the way that out of a string of albums of great quality you can still rank them first to last. Like a number of people, I think Gathering Speed is a self-description. 

One of my rare worded reviews on PA has the statement that I can't believe that one of the best practitioners of prog today is listed as "Crossover Prog". 

But Machine is an album where you can hear the most validation of Spawton's claim that he was more influenced by Van der Graaf than Genesis. Specially when Filkins screams "My Eyes!" Okay, he's no Hammill, but some of the effect is achieved. 

-------------
-John

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 05:42
What are the favourite Big Big Train "tracks"LOL can you guys name your top five?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 05:48
East Coast Racer
Victorian Brickwork
Curator of Butterflies
The First Rebreather
Hedgerow

But it could easily be a whole bunch of others.

Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 05:49
^Thank you....and the very best? Can people give a number one favourite track too  please?

I will assume that itv was in order of preference.

-------------

Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 08:39
1. Wide Open Sea -- my current unequivocal favorite, the rest can bounce around quite a bit. 

2. Evening Star -- the horns and that "Entangled feel" -- and whichever of the band said it: "There ought to be more horns in prog".

3. Underfall Yard -- their reigning masterpiece

4. East Coast Racer -- good new stuff

5. Perfect Cosmic Storm -- they're not a "Genesis copy"...

6. The First Rebreather -- ditto #4, excited from the Youtube premiere.

-------------
-John

Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 09:19
^thank you. I  am compiling a list to see the top tracks (option 6 will not be includedWink).

-------------

Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 09:23
I don't know if this would interest you or not Ian, but the songs from their album Goodbye to the Age of Steam can be downloaded for free on their Reverbnation page.  http://www.reverbnation.com/bigbigtrain#!/bigbigtrain/songs" rel="nofollow - http://www.reverbnation.com/bigbigtrain#!/bigbigtrain/songs

-------------

Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 11:47
It's a good album all in all. 

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 14:35
I only started listening to Big Big Train  (and do they need 2 Bigs in their name btw...Wink)  about a year  or so ago and I  like the new cd , but. are people overrating it a bit? It's very pleasant but at times maybe a bit too mellow and it sounds a lot like Collins era Genesis especially Wind and Wuthering to me. That's not a bad thing but it really doesn't serve up anything we haven't heard before. They do do it well....but.........?

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 14:49
It can't be expected to have the same impact on everyone of course.

I don't think too much about influences and originality, to me they are an irrelevance. And I couldn't give any coherent review or analysis of why but at its most basic level it's just a gorgeous beautiful noise that fits my tastes like a glove.

And that's as good as it gets.

Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 22:51
Hmm, choosing a top 5 is downright hard, and it will probably change in a week.

1. East Coast Racer
2. Summoned By Bells
3. Hedgerow
4.The First Rebreather
5. Victorian Brickwork

-------------

Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 17:06
Originally posted by Mr. Mustard Mr. Mustard wrote:

Hmm, choosing a top 5 is downright hard, and it will probably change in a week.

1. East Coast Racer
2. Summoned By Bells
3. Hedgerow
4.The First Rebreather
5. Victorian Brickwork

Thank you for your help.Smile

-------------

Date Posted: April 03 2013 at 08:56
Ping

-------------

Date Posted: April 03 2013 at 10:17
Part Two arrived in the mail yesterday.  Looking forward to giving that one a spin sometime today.

-------------

Posted By: john-westover
Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 16:49
this band came out of nowhere for me until i saw everyone raving english electric comparing them to genesis has became one my new fave bands i heard there older stuff is not quite good they recently got this new singer they got now

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 17:06
That's the way I see it. David Longdon has taken everything up several notches.

The earlier albums are decent enough, and always interesting, but nothing special.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: April 05 2013 at 06:24
Originally posted by john-westover john-westover wrote:

this band came out of nowhere for me until i saw everyone raving english electric comparing them to genesis has became one my new fave bands i heard there older stuff is not quite good they recently got this new singer they got now
Some punctuation would make this easier to read.

Posted By: mohaveman
Date Posted: April 07 2013 at 10:40
Greetings from Arizona.

I have really enjoyed both parts of ENGLISH ECCENTRIC but have yet to explore their older work. Looking forward to doing so, starting with THE UNDERFALL YARD, I think.

Cheers!

-------------
And it's only the giving that makes you...what you are".

Date Posted: April 12 2013 at 11:47
Originally posted by Duke of Rother Duke of Rother wrote:

That's the way I see it. David Longdon has taken everything up several notches.

The earlier albums are decent enough, and always interesting, but nothing special.
I like a lot of the stuff with Filkins, but when Longdon sings "The sea is my blood." I feel it. 

I think his vocal performance on Wide Open Sea off of the EP is what makes it my remaining BBT favorite. And he makes me think that there was something important about Master James of St. George building "castles of stone, steel and blood".

But then a little less bloody good is his grim performance on A Boy in Darkness

-------------
-John

Date Posted: April 12 2013 at 11:49
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by john-westover john-westover wrote:

Some punctuation would make this easier to read.

It needs more  than punctuation.

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2013 at 15:35
Part Two of English Electric arrived Tuesday, but haven't had a chance to listen until today.

It really is quite lush, pastoral, and utterly beautiful.

-------------

Posted By: timbo
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 05:06
Thanks for turning me back onto BBT.
I bought Difference Machine a couple of years ago, but still cant get into it, despite repeated plays.
After reading this thread, I played the Youtube clips of English Electric, and found them much more to my taste. If it hadn't been for this thread I'd have ignored them totally.
Cheers! Smile

Posted By: TrickedTail
Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 10:16
I've listened through both parts one and two several times now. Probably at least 15 times.

I honestly think that they rate as high as anything that Genesis or Yes ever did. I can find no fault with these albums. They're just superb. It's a shame, but I doubt BBT will ever get the thorough recognition they deserve.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/NurseryCryminal/?chartstyle=basic10" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Quote
Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 23:12
1. Hedgerow
2. Curator of Butterflies
3. East Coast Racer
4. The Wide Open Sea
5. The Underfall Yard

First 3 are pretty much on the same level.

Posted By: POTA
Date Posted: October 01 2013 at 00:44
Judas Unrepentant. Cannot get enough of this song. Insanely good.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: October 01 2013 at 21:27
I still haven't heard this band, though I have gotten somewhat interested because of all the hype this English Electric albums have been getting. However, I just read something about them releasing both albums in one package, and even including some extra song there. I'm thinking I may go with this version of the albums...

Posted By: Greg W
Date Posted: October 01 2013 at 22:00
I don't like the vocalist. The music is good, but not dynamic enough to make up for the bad vocalist.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: October 02 2013 at 07:01
Several months ago I acquired the beautifully done 2LP package of 'English Electric - Part One' and, whilst the music is fresh and exciting (easily a 4 star album), I must say that the band had a lot of outside help (some great names included) - how do they pull this material off live I wonder ??

Posted By: H. Siedler
Date Posted: October 06 2013 at 13:29
I think their best works are The Underfall Yard and Far Skies Deep Time! Of course I like their other albums, but these two are the most special for me. I must confess I'm stil trying to understand the newest album... I couldn't find what is so special in it, but I'll try harder. Anyway, BBT is one of the out-of-70's prog bands I like the most!

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: October 06 2013 at 21:11
I loved Underfall Yard and acquired Far Skies Deep Time when it came out but they kind of got forgotten about in a wash of other new bands. Just ordered the new English Electric package with the 4 new songs, guess it's time to catch up on Far Skies.

Posted By: mahavishnujoel
Date Posted: October 14 2013 at 18:39
I only have the two English Electric albums and they one of the best prog bands right now and in my favorites along with haken, morse, and flower kings who in my humble opinion are peaking in this last 2 or 3 years. It's definitively a great time to be a prog fan. 

-------------
Me, I'm just a lawnmower - you can tell me by the way I walk.

Date Posted: October 15 2013 at 00:52
So £14 on Amazon to get only 4 new songs if you have the two albums already. It really needed a live disc to make it tempting for me.

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: October 15 2013 at 01:11
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Part Two of English Electric arrived Tuesday, but haven't had a chance to listen until today.
It really is quite lush, pastoral, and utterly beautiful.

You know, I've had it for quite a while myself, and only felt the need to move on from the first one today, and on my inital run through, I thought `Damn this is lush' too Laz!

It's very orchestrated, cinematic and sophisaticated. Different enough because of that sound from the first album, very beautiful stuff.

Now to work out which I prefer of the two!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk