URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90144
Printed Date: April 30 2024 at 01:47
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Greetings Prog Lovers!
Posted By: amarucci89
Subject: Greetings Prog Lovers!
Date Posted: October 16 2012 at 21:29
Hey there,

First of all I just want to say that I'm super pleased to see such a sprawling and active website dedicated to the enculturation of Progressive music. I discovered this website a little over a year ago and quickly realized how much of an asset it is to the music community.  People into Prog now have a place to go, and it also serves as a great reference for people who have never heard of PROG before!  Only wished I joined sooner..

A little bit about myself... I am a 23 year old guitarist, music major, and music lover in general but I have a particular taste for Progressive Rock, Jazz Fusion, and similar genres.  Growing up in the 90's I had a couple things which were important to me: Power Rangers, video games, and Dream Theater - the band that started it all for me. In fact, they were the first Rock band I had ever heard and interestingly enough, they would be one of my biggest influences today.  I also enjoy Classic Prog such as Rush, Yes, Genesis, Camel, etc..  In recent years my love for Jazz exploded (not in the way you think Tongue) thanks to Jazz Fusion artists such as Return To Forever, Mahavishnu, Weather Report.  Lately, I am really diggin Japanese Rock music, anime soundtracks, scores, etc, and noticed a strong correlation between anime soundtracks and Prog Rock...  one composer to check out would be Ko Otani who wrote the soundtrack for the Gundam Wing series (check out CD1 of the Gundam Wing OST for some awesome Intrumental Symphonic Prog Rock & Prog Metal).  My newly formed project is taking off and we are now working very hard on new music and finding new members - but that will be in another post, this one's getting too long!  Well time to wrap this up.... I hope to discover much new music here and hope to get the chance to connect with all of you fine people!

Alex

Replies:
Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: October 16 2012 at 21:42
Great bio there Alex.
Hope you find more great music here, though it's not hard to do so.

-Austin

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 16 2012 at 22:24
WElcome! Hope you enjoy your stay. Beer

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: October 16 2012 at 23:40
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: October 17 2012 at 04:32
marvelous to have you

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: October 17 2012 at 08:53
Welcome aboard!

Some jazz/fusion that may be of interest to you.

Hectic Watermelon, which Jerry Goodman of Mahavishnu fame is involved.  They only have 1 album and is available.
One that I have just discovered via the RPI (Italian Prog) section of PA is a 70s band called Area, I have the Crac! album, quite cool even though the lyrics are in Italian.

-------------

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: October 17 2012 at 20:59
Welcome aboard, please enjoy your stay.Smile

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: October 18 2012 at 02:32
Welcome to this site, on which you will have a lot of pleasure, I think.

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: October 18 2012 at 16:23
Originally posted by amarucci89 amarucci89 wrote:

Hey there,

First of all I just want to say that I'm super pleased to see such a sprawling and active website dedicated to the enculturation of Progressive music. I discovered this website a little over a year ago and quickly realized how much of an asset it is to the music community.  People into Prog now have a place to go, and it also serves as a great reference for people who have never heard of PROG before!  Only wished I joined sooner..

A little bit about myself... I am a 23 year old guitarist, music major, and music lover in general but I have a particular taste for Progressive Rock, Jazz Fusion, and similar genres.  Growing up in the 90's I had a couple things which were important to me: Power Rangers, video games, and Dream Theater - the band that started it all for me. In fact, they were the first Rock band I had ever heard and interestingly enough, they would be one of my biggest influences today.  I also enjoy Classic Prog such as Rush, Yes, Genesis, Camel, etc..  In recent years my love for Jazz exploded (not in the way you think Tongue) thanks to Jazz Fusion artists such as Return To Forever, Mahavishnu, Weather Report.  Lately, I am really diggin Japanese Rock music, anime soundtracks, scores, etc, and noticed a strong correlation between anime soundtracks and Prog Rock...  one composer to check out would be Ko Otani who wrote the soundtrack for the Gundam Wing series (check out CD1 of the Gundam Wing OST for some awesome Intrumental Symphonic Prog Rock & Prog Metal).  My newly formed project is taking off and we are now working very hard on new music and finding new members - but that will be in another post, this one's getting too long!  Well time to wrap this up.... I hope to discover much new music here and hope to get the chance to connect with all of you fine people!

Alex
Welcome Alex Hug
If you like fusion, check also Bruford, Brand X (feat. Phil Collins) and Electromagnets (Eric Johnson's fusion band), Isotope and as you like japanese culture, why not try some Kenso.
And with some metal thrown in, you have Cynic, Fredrik Throdendal's Special Defects, Zu, Planet X...

But browsing PA's subgenres, you should find a lot to like.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: November 03 2012 at 21:48
Hi there and welcome

Classic Prog such as Rush, Yes, Genesis, Camel,are great bands definitely. 
I can suggest a heap of albums but I dont know where to start except to say have a look at this list and I promise these albums are treasures of prog rock.

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?salbumtypes=1#list" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?salbumtypes=1#list  

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 01:00
Thank you so much for the recommendations and sorry for the late reply, I can't wait to check them out!

Cheers

Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 02:22
Originally posted by amarucci89 amarucci89 wrote:

Thank you so much for the recommendations and sorry for the late reply, I can't wait to check them out!

Cheers

If you know certain anime music, you should already know The Seatbelts (from Cowboy Bebop). Not quite prog, but complex jazz. And not fusion!!

Welcome. Once you join, you never leave!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk