Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90223
Printed Date: April 16 2024 at 07:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Amon Düül II (album poll) 5 first albums
Posted By: Icarium
Subject: Amon Düül II (album poll) 5 first albums
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 08:34
the five first and most representative albums (so i have understood) by this famed Krautrock band, i am listening Wolf City and Yeti and tried some Tanz and Phallus, but aint gone any futher, but i like what i have heard and is hearing.

i wonder who is the band most similar to ADII in Kraut and in general prog,,

also good luck

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 09:34
I never heard Carnival In Babylon but out of the rest I'm going with Yeti. I think it's by far their best.

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 09:40
Any of the first three will do. The debut used to be my favourite for years but lately Tanz Der Lemminge is hitting the spot so that's my vote.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 10:15
I go out of the stream. My fav is Phallus Dei (but it doesn't mean that I don't like the others)

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 10:27
Tanz der Lemminge has been one of my favorite albums for many years, so I'm voting for that. Yeti is a close second -- in fact I probably listen to that one a little more because of its more rockin' energy, where Tanz is a more layered, cerebral album which I'm afraid will lose its magic if I listen to it too often.

As to the question of whom the band is most similar to, I'd have to say early Pink Floyd, early Hawkwind, and the early Velvet Underground.  On later albums, AD II changed their sound a bit, but for the first five I think this is what they most sound like.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 10:53
I might have heard of Pink Floyd,

on a more serious note Hawkiwind might be on my list of bands to listen to

also Velvet Underground is also a fairly famous group Wink

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 12:23
1. Phallus Dei
2. Wolf City
3. Tanz der Lemminge

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 12:27
Yeti is the only album I regularly listen to from those crazy Germans. Tanz is too messy for me, musically and production wise. I understand it's influence and innovation, I mean it's a Krautrock classic, but I just can't get into it. Yeti is also more consistent for me, which is great. Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 12:32
The one about God's thingy..

Dave Anderson played bass for AD and then for Hawkwind.  I think there are similarities to early Hawkwind .

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Neu!mann
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 12:36
Tough, tough choice...I love the crude energy of the first two albums, but Tanz der Lemminge has the most variety: shorter song-like suites plus another classic side-long instrumental freakout

-------------
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini

Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 13:17
I really like the rythemsections in this band, i find it to be a very good quality bass lines and i also like the folksyness

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 13:26
Toughie.... I can't seriously choose between Yeti and Lemminge but Yeti has that utterly mental improvised jam on disc 2 so I voted for that.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 13:42
Boy! ... It's hard to choose between Yeti and Tanz. Yeti's second half just ... just doesn't do. Tanz also has its sucky parts. What inconsistent albums. Nonetheless, ... my intuition and logic tell me "Tanz", so I'll go with that.

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 14:06
I've only heard the first three, somewhat vaguely, and so far I think I've enjoyed Phallus Dei the most.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 14:22
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Any of the first three will do. The debut used to be my favourite for years but lately Tanz Der Lemminge is hitting the spot so that's my vote.

This exactly.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 15:26
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

on a more serious note Hawkiwind might be on my list of bands to listen to

Hawkwind is just a great fantasy trip from album to album.  Nothing fancy, just good clean fun.  You'd love it.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 19:29
Yeti stands out for me. Wonderful from start to finish. But the debut & Lemmings are quite good as well.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 20:14
Voted `Wolf City', I'm clearly feeling nostalgic, as it's not only the first Duul 2 album I bought, but it was also one of the first CD's I purchased when I just started getting into prog so many years ago

I did just listen to it the other night, and I still love the Indian raga/tabla instrumental `Wie Der Wind...' so much, makes me want to dance to it!

Hmmmm, probably better I don't....

Posted By: Mr Greeen Genes
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 20:56

1. Yeti (mostly for the Improvisation side, and no other ADII album compares to Yeti in my opinion)
2. Phallus Dei
3. Tanz der Lemminge (i really like the Marilyn Monroe's Memorial Church Improv, rest of the album is more inconsistent                                                 for my tastes but does have it's moments)
4. Wolf City
5. Carnival In Babylon (a fun album to occasionally listen to)

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: October 22 2012 at 00:19
I voted Yeti, followed by Phallus Dei. I still haven't given a full listen to Tanz Der Lemminge.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: October 22 2012 at 04:30
TANZ DER LEMMINGE !!!!!  Such a wonderfully psychedelic and colourful album from the cover to the music.  I love all those first 5, Carnival In Babylon being the very first KRAUT album I discovered back in 1989, before I heard the term Krautrock, so that's slips in close 2nd, then Wolf City, Yeti, Phallus Dei.  At the other end of the scale, maybe 'Nearly Human', and what is Karrer doing his 'Ape Dance' for anyway ?????

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: October 22 2012 at 10:20
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

I voted Yeti, followed by Phallus Dei. I still haven't given a full listen to Tanz Der Lemminge.

Then you will regret it. Evil Smile

Posted By: MFP
Date Posted: October 22 2012 at 16:19
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

This exactly.

Posted By: antonyus
Date Posted: October 23 2012 at 01:34
yeti

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: October 23 2012 at 07:24
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

Then you will regret it. Evil Smile
Giving Tanz many full listens didn't change anything in the exact same top two for me.

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 23 2012 at 11:43
I think:

1. Yeti
2. Tanz der Lemminge
3. Phallus Dei
4, Wolf City
5. Carnival in Babylon

-------------
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: October 23 2012 at 11:57
Yeti for me.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: October 23 2012 at 13:20
This thread is the epitome of the PA for me. Back in the 70s it took me years to collect these five albums and each one was a treasure to beheld and that got played to death until I found the next one - at the time I thought I was one of the few who liked this stuff, now it seems I'm just one of many.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 23 2012 at 13:46
If it weren't for the webz, I don't think that I'd know 98 percent of what I listen to now (including Amon Duul II).

-------------
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org

Posted By: gents
Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 03:54
No one can even come close to tanz......
Then phallus....
Then yeti........way way back.......never really hooked on me properly

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 16:17

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Nash
Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 20:22
im into krautrock since quite a long time, love the genre

i think yeti is one of the greatest albums of the genre too

but the five albums are great and they are worth several listenings

-------------
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/sydbarrettg.jpg/" rel="nofollow">

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk