Print Page | Close Window

Steve Hackett BBC1

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90250
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 07:58
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Steve Hackett BBC1
Posted By: Matthew _Gill
Subject: Steve Hackett BBC1
Date Posted: October 23 2012 at 07:38
Steve will be a guest on the BBC One Breakfast show tomorrow morning (Wednesday 24th October) talking about the release of Genesis Revisited II. Tune in or set your recorders for between 8.30 - 9.15 am.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpOoJ0OTLg0&t" rel="nofollow - Click here to see a mind-blowing Flashlight

Replies:
Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: October 23 2012 at 07:40
That should be an in depth interview, then

I'll set the recorder, though...

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: October 23 2012 at 07:53
Don't watch since they moved to Manchester. Might do for this thiogh.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: October 23 2012 at 08:07
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

That should be an in depth interview, then

I'll set the recorder, though...

"Steve why did you decide to quit Genesis?"
"Would you like to see a reunion?

I'd like to hear Steve give an in-depth opinion on why he thinks prog is bigger in Europe or certain countries. Like why Genesis were massive in Italy and leading current prog bands like Archive being massive in Greece!

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpOoJ0OTLg0&t" rel="nofollow - Click here to see a mind-blowing Flashlight

Date Posted: October 23 2012 at 08:20
"Steve, it's been 34 years since you left Genesis... tell us what you really think of Phil..."

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: October 23 2012 at 14:26
Topic moved, I guess they aren't going to interview him :(

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 23 2012 at 14:39
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Sian was quite nice but you now gets loads more Susanna Reid so I'm not complainingLOL

Date Posted: October 23 2012 at 14:41
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Sian was quite nice but you now gets loads more Susanna Reid so I'm not complainingLOL

Yeah...she is nice.Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: October 23 2012 at 15:03

'Steve will we be seeing you on X-Factor this year?'

'Stripes or cheques for the Autumn?'

Won't watch can't stand TV in the morning (Of any type)

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: October 23 2012 at 16:11
Originally posted by Matthew _Gill Matthew _Gill wrote:

[QUOTE=Jim Garten]
I'd like to hear Steve give an in-depth opinion on why he thinks prog is bigger in Europe or certain countries. Like why Genesis were massive in Italy and leading current prog bands like Archive being massive in Greece!
Yes, I would much rather hear Hackett comment on the future of prog, rather than its past...

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: October 23 2012 at 17:35

If you posted this in our Interviews section then it would have been moved as that section is for "Original interviews with Prog artists (which are exclusive to Prog Archives)"

-------------
What?

Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 02:33
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

If you posted this in our Interviews section then it would have been moved as that section is for "Original interviews with Prog artists (which are exclusive to Prog Archives)"

Damn prog and it's sub-categories. 

Official interview time is 9.05am - not long!!!

-------------

Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 03:16
saw him.a gent as always

-------------

Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 03:18
King of Prog playing live for the Nation! 

-------------

Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 03:19
That was a nice interview.

He seemed a lot more relaxed than the last time he was interviewed on TV (a few years ago on a regional TV programme)

Bill Turnbull is obviously a fan.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 05:37
Dammit - forgot to record!

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 06:24

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yeah...she is nice.Embarrassed
Aye - she does it for me too......

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 06:24
Somebody will put it onutube - link us up please...

-------------

Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 06:28

-------------
What?

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 07:10
^ Very nice! Clap ... and we'll hear "Supper's Ready" redone!

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 11:06
Good interview!  For a morning show, anyway.  Seems much more tolerable than the morning shows we have here in the US.

Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 14:16
Somewhat forced smiling from Steve at times was a little odd perhaps showing that even aged experienced proggers can feel a little 'awkward' in such situations. Great to hear him play a bit of Blood On The Rooftops and managed to avoid the trap set by Bill Turnbull when he explained the last full Genesis reunion was to save WOMAD. So Peter owes you then? Nope I owe Peter for getting me the gig in Genesis in the first place. All very nice ,polite and friendly.Thats prog!

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 16:22
Thanks for posting this Dean, because I forgot to record this morningEmbarrassed

Good interview, Hackett came across as a very nice man (which he is in real life), and Ms Reed was as gorgeous as everLOL

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 16:57
Yeah, I love her I-N-T-E-R-V-I-E-W-S as well.

Made him - Steve Reid ehrrr Hackett - look good.

Love her, erhh him.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: October 24 2012 at 19:20
So, I thought I heard Hackett saying that he'll be touring the Genesis Revisited material? If so, please, come to Mexico. I'd much rather see this show than see Peter Gabriel or Genesis on tour again (unless it was Genesis with at least Hackett back).

Date Posted: October 25 2012 at 01:51
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

So, I thought I heard Hackett saying that he'll be touring the Genesis Revisited material? If so, please, come to Mexico. I'd much rather see this show than see Peter Gabriel or Genesis on tour again (unless it was Genesis with at least Hackett back).

What's wrong with Peter?

Date Posted: October 25 2012 at 12:21
Thanks Dean, Could the delectible Suzanne be the next Mrs Hackett...He's split up with Kim Poor and she was also a drink-on-a-stick (at the time he married her anyway)......
She was certainly impressed with his manual dexterity I could tell...........

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2012 at 12:36
...he's currently married to author Jo Lehmann ... sister of his rhythm guitarist Amanda Lehmann.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: October 25 2012 at 12:48

...he's currently married to author Jo Lehmann ... sister of his rhythm guitarist Amanda Lehmann.
aaah then his "flirting with fluttering fingers" on his spanish guitar was merely playing with Ms Reeds emotions....bet she had to be peeled off that sofa half an hour later.....Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 25 2012 at 12:58
Thanks for posting the clip Dean. It was a nice interview.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: October 25 2012 at 19:08
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

What's wrong with Peter?

Mainly, I don't know his solo career, and if he tours (which I think he might) he would tour mostly songs that I don't know, while Hackett would be touring with Genesis songs, which I would really like to hear live. Besides, I never really liked Gabriel's singing so much, while I do like Hacketts playing a lot.

Date Posted: October 26 2012 at 00:26
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

aaah then his "flirting with fluttering fingers" on his spanish guitar was merely playing with Ms Reeds emotions....bet she had to be peeled off that sofa half an hour later.....Big smile

She didn't seem to care much. The other host, however, seemed genuinely enthusiastic.

What's wrong with Peter?

Mainly, I don't know his solo career, and if he tours (which I think he might) he would tour mostly songs that I don't know, while Hackett would be touring with Genesis songs, which I would really like to hear live. Besides, I never really liked Gabriel's singing so much, while I do like Hacketts playing a lot.

Well, you don't want to hear Hackett's drummer sing, do you? Big smile

Date Posted: October 26 2012 at 01:20

What's wrong with Peter?

Well, you don't want to hear Hackett's drummer sing, do you? Big smile
Actually, you do. Hackett's drummer, Gary O'Toole, sings live and on the new album, and he is very good.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: October 26 2012 at 13:53
Nick Beggs, Steve Hackett, Jo Hackett, Anthony Philips & Chris Squire
Spot the proggers on this wedding photo !!!!

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2012 at 14:04
Nick  Beggs, Steve Hackett,  Anthony Phillips, Chris Squire

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2012 at 14:07

Aye and it looks like Mr Squire likes his pies & ale too much........

-------------

Posted By: FunkyHomoSapien
Date Posted: October 26 2012 at 14:35
Little known fact: Ian Ellis of Clouds was in Steve's band (Timelapse etc)

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: October 26 2012 at 14:37

Kajagoogoo have really let themselves go!  Shocking.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: October 26 2012 at 16:18
Don't Kill The 'Whale'!!

Posted By: JeanFrame
Date Posted: October 28 2012 at 04:38
Originally posted by FunkyHomoSapien FunkyHomoSapien wrote:

Must check that out.

Date Posted: October 29 2012 at 04:20

Actually, you do. Hackett's drummer, Gary O'Toole, sings live and on the new album, and he is very good.

The whole Hackett band are great, there is nobody I'd rather see, I saw my 4th fave band Radiohead in between Steve shows and Hackett blew them out of the water. 

Hackett can sing and has a great tone after his awful 80's style. Live he sounds like he's miming!

-------------

Date Posted: October 29 2012 at 07:39

The whole Hackett band are great, there is nobody I'd rather see, I saw my 4th fave band Radiohead in between Steve shows and Hackett blew them out of the water. 

Hackett can sing and has a great tone after his awful 80's style. Live he sounds like he's miming!

It's all about opinions - I suppose but the fact that Hackett's band blew RH out of  the water is due to the fact that Hackett's band of experienced musicians are all in a different class than those of RH.....LOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 29 2012 at 07:49

It's all about opinions - I suppose but the fact that Hackett's band blew RH out of  the water is due to the fact that Hackett's band of experienced musicians are all in a different class than those of RH.....LOL

Yes that and the fact I didn't feel any connection between the audience and the fans. Also Thom Yorke seemed to have the talented Jonny Greenwood on a leash, proper Vernon Wells style. I desperately wanted to see the axe wielded. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 29 2012 at 08:00

Why is it Ok to make personal remarks about the overweight?

-------------

Date Posted: October 29 2012 at 08:03
Seems to be a theme when referring to certain of the older generation of prog musicians; a certain Mr Lake generally gets it, too, as does Tjis Van Leer

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: October 29 2012 at 13:19

Why is it Ok to make personal remarks about the overweight?
Well, if your intake of calories > than the amount of work done - then you become a rotund fellow - a bit like Mr Squire in that picture.....A Factual remark is it not?
I'll bet it's bloody murder in yout house - trying to comment about something without it being construed as un-politically correct - best go and live in a Trappist Monastery......

-------------

Posted By: DiamondDog
Date Posted: November 16 2012 at 04:47

One of Steve's best lineups, there is a great video of the Timelapse phase, yes with Ian Ellis on Bass/vocals.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: November 16 2012 at 05:02
I already saw the video on Hackett's site. Nice that he was on the show.

Interesting that Steve said that the recording of classic Genesis albums was rushed. 
Think about it... a lot of those '70's records that we consider as classic albums, were recorded quite quickly.
Those were good days, masterpieces being made in between tours.
I'm not too crazy about "revisiting" - cd's, but it's nice that at least one Genesis member treats the old material with such respect, and takes time to look back on them.
(Of course, the remasters of the old Genesis albums was also quite a good idea. There so much more details of the music to be heard in them.)

Posted By: yam yam
Date Posted: November 16 2012 at 05:26
Originally posted by DiamondDog DiamondDog wrote:

One of Steve's best lineups, there is a great video of the Timelapse phase, yes with Ian Ellis on Bass/vocals.

This one?

Ermm

Posted By: yam yam
Date Posted: November 16 2012 at 05:31
Has everyone seen this extensive interview with Steve from May of this year?: 'The Steve Hackett Story' Interview by Mark Powell. Exclusive to cherryred.tv Steve Hackett talks to Esoteric Label Manager Mark Powell about his life, music & the collaboration and album with Chris Squire, 'Squackett'

It was originally posted at the time by esotericarts in the Squackett (Squire & Hackett) to release new album thread:  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=83646&PID=4515198#4515198" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=83646&PID=4515198#4515198 , and also here:  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=87013&KW=3SVjF4GGVNg&PID=4514317#4514317" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=87013&PID=4514317#4514317 but not actually embedded in either post, so it may not have been widely viewed.

Thumbs Up

Posted By: DiamondDog
Date Posted: November 16 2012 at 12:24
Yes Yam Yam, that one, though I think there are a few of the Timelapse sessions out there. Thank you for that.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk