Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90476
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 03:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Spock´s Beard Top 10
Posted By: King Manuel
Subject: Spock´s Beard Top 10
Date Posted: November 06 2012 at 00:19

Before the new Spock’s album hits the shelves, a quick recap on the previous ten studio releases: List them in order of your personal SB Top 10. Here is mine. Positions 1-3 and 10 are very solid, the rest, depending on my mood could alter slightly if you ask me some other day.

1.     The Light

2.     V

3.     X

4.     Beware of Darkness

5.     Octane

6.     The Kindness of Strangers

7.     Day for Night

8.     Spock´s Beard

9.     Feel Euphoria

10.  Snow

-------------
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus

Replies:
Posted By: snowsnow
Date Posted: November 06 2012 at 02:30

Best albums + track

1) Snow - Wind at my back (part 2)
2) V - The Great nothing
3) Beware of darkness - The Doorway
4) The kindness of strangers - Harm's way
5) Day for night - The Healing colors of sound
6) The light - The light
7) Spock's Beard - As far as the mind can see
8) Feel Euphoria - The bottom line 
9) Octane - As long as we ride
10) X - Edge of the in-between

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: November 06 2012 at 02:36
Crikey another thread of top 10 Beard

Ah well from memory I posted a few years ago this

1.     Snow

2.     Octane

3.     X

4.     Beware of Darkness

5.     The Light

6.     V

7.     Day for Night

8.     Spock´s Beard

9.     Feel Euphoria

10.  The Kindness of Strangers

-------------

Posted By: Master of Time
Date Posted: November 06 2012 at 17:03
I've just recently started getting back into X and checking out Feel Euphoria-Spock's Beard, and I enjoy the other NDV era stuff much more than I imagined I would (Except for Octane). So here's my list.
1. V
2. X
3. The Light
4. Spock's Beard
5. Feel Euphoria
6. Beware of Darkness
7. The Kindness of Strangers
8. Snow
9. Day for Night
10. Octane
I love all of 1-6, I really like 7&8, and I just kind of like 9 and 10.

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: November 06 2012 at 22:48
I dont love Spocks Beard enough to do a 10 album list, but I can do 3.

1) THE LIGHT
2) SNOW
3) V
4) BEWARE OF DARKNESS

OK. I like them enough to do 4. ;)

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: November 06 2012 at 22:56

this are 5 starts albums for me 

1.     Snow

2.      V

3.     X

4.     Beware of Darkness

5.     The Kindness of Strangers

everything else is a  3 to 4 stars albums

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Date Posted: November 07 2012 at 03:23
The popularity of Snow baffles me! For me the only SB album of which I can say I don't like at all.

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: November 07 2012 at 04:01
  1. V
  2. Beware Of Darkness
  3. X
  4. Feel Euphoria
  5. The Kindness Of Strangers
  6. The Light
  7. Snow
  8. Day For Night
  9. Spock's Beard
  10. Octane

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: snowsnow
Date Posted: November 07 2012 at 05:01
Originally posted by King Manuel King Manuel wrote:

The popularity of Snow baffles me! For me the only SB album of which I can say I don't like at all.

I can only speak for myself, but Snow is my fav because the first cd sounds like it could be a greatest hits album such is the strength of the songs, in particular:

Stranger in a strange land
Long time suffering
Love beyond words
The 39th street blues
Devils got my throat
Open wide the floodgates
Wind at my back (part one)

That to me is one hell of a collection of songs!

Side two is a weaker but still has Carie/All is vanity/I will go

The album ends with one of their greatest songs Wind at my back part 2 - one of the best ends to an album I've ever heard. It does lack an epic along the lines of The Great nothing or The healing colours of sound, but the quality of the songs on Snow more than makes up for this (IMHO).

Posted By: ElectricPoetry
Date Posted: November 07 2012 at 11:12
It has to be Snow for me.. What an album.. One day we will see them re-form with Neal to play this live!! The album deserves to be toured!!!

1.  Snow
2.   V
3. Day For Night
4. The Light
5. Beware Of Darkness
6. The Kindness Of Strangers
7. X
8. Spock's Beard
9. Octane
10. Fell Euphoria

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: November 07 2012 at 11:19
Originally posted by snowsnow snowsnow wrote:

I can only speak for myself, but Snow is my fav because the first cd sounds like it could be a greatest hits album such is the strength of the songs, in particular:

Stranger in a strange land
Long time suffering
Love beyond words
The 39th street blues
Devils got my throat
Open wide the floodgates
Wind at my back (part one)

That to me is one hell of a collection of songs!

CD two is a weaker but still has Carie/All is vanity/I will go

Fixed.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: November 07 2012 at 16:20
^ I choose SNOW as my #1 as well.

-------------

Posted By: Failcore
Date Posted: November 07 2012 at 16:39
Snow isn't really prog for the most part, but it is awesome. It's a journey, it is, to listen to that one.

-------------

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: November 07 2012 at 23:34

Agreed.  I was very disappointed...

Date Posted: November 07 2012 at 23:54
Originally posted by Failcore Failcore wrote:

Snow isn't really prog for the most part, but it is awesome. It's a journey, it is, to listen to that one.

Whats not prog about it?

-------------

Date Posted: November 08 2012 at 01:07
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Originally posted by Failcore Failcore wrote:

Whats not prog about it?

I would love to hear the answer to this as well. No prog on SPOCKS SNOW?? This I gotta hear.

-------------

Date Posted: November 08 2012 at 01:45
I personally also listen to a lot of Non-Prog music, but Prog or not, Snow somehow has always left me bored and I was constantly aiming for the skip button. Maybe I must give it another try!

-------------

Date Posted: November 08 2012 at 01:58

I personally also listen to a lot of Non-Prog music, but Prog or not, Snow somehow has always left me bored and I was constantly aiming for the skip button. Maybe I must give it another try!

Took a few listens for me to really appreciate the work on SNOW

-------------

Posted By: Anthony
Date Posted: November 08 2012 at 02:07
1 Snow
2 V
3 Beware of darkness
4 Octane
5 The light
6 X
7 The kindness of strangers
8 Spock's Beard
9 Day for night
10 Feel euphoria

-------------
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: November 08 2012 at 02:57

Horses for courses, really - Snow's my favorite SB album, followed very closely by 'V'

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: November 08 2012 at 15:08
Snow is Prog. 

just a quote from my review to prove its progginess

So the story continues with Freak Boy, a strange track with a powerful strong heavy riff, where the tale turns darker. The protagonist has a freakish gift, and Carie is turning him away at 2 in the morning, as she can't love such a man, calling him "a magnet for the pathetic". It's a fun song with some great distortion on the guitars, and squealing guitars. It blends seamlessly into All Is Vanity; "I'm all alone without a friend" says the young man, who is sinking deeper into a depressed state. The keyboard solo and very cool guitar riff is essential listening. There is a very dynamic instrumental break that takes off in many directions, switching time sigs, and is one of the most proggy tracks on the album. The Hammond sounds are grinding and violently juxtaposed with blindingly brilliant synths.

Immediately we launch into the heavy choppy I'm Dying. Morse is remorseful (pun intended) with depressive vocals, "when they come in the night I won't be here no more, help me I'm dying, my soul is flying, hear the shots in the night and I don't care what for, I had mustard before, I can't eat it no more ". It breaks into a fine instrumental with choral vocals and a majestic keyboard passage. It tends to build to a crescendo till it quietens at the end with a rather odd violin sound, haunting and ghostly.

Eventually Freak Boy 2 begins with a cool riff and strong percussion, over deep bass. The downbeat atmosphere is augmented by the lyrics, "I'm a freak boy, everlasting, on the street now barely breathing, they don't call me Snow it's too charming, somehow I still have some feeling". I really like the feel of this track, driving with a heavy riff and a melodic lead break.

Devil's Got My Throat revisited has more choppy Hammond and howling wind, and it is nice to be reminded of the melody once again but this is more effects laden, even with a Dalek voice at one stage.

Snow's Night Out has a frantic riff and some jazzy sax nuances. The proggish time sig is rather innovative and there are even effects of a night club crowd. The instrumental breaks the singing for a while which is worthwhile as Morse has been dominant. This remains one of the best examples of the progressive side of Spock's Beard.

The fake crowd represents this is the live stage with the protagonist now a rock god playing to a strong audience in a stadium. Ladies and Gentlemen Mr Ryo Okumoto on the Keyboards, sounds live and is really a showcase for Ryo and why not, he is one of the best keyboardists on the planet. The shimmering Hammond is incredible. Reminds me of Emerson in places.

This blends into I Will Go with the protagonist sad singing a melancholy ballad, emotional and endearing. "Help me, I'm dying" he croons again. The song is very quiet at first, bleak piano stabs, and mournful atmosphere. Morse is beautiful here and this sounds more like his solo career, even mentioning God and the idea of searching for something else leading him to God eventually as we know.

The accomplished work of keyboardist Ryo Okumoto and guitarist Allan Morse are prominent on the prog mini epic Made Alive/ Wind at my Back. This is a definitive highlight full of melody and innovation. The main majestic point is found in the way it builds and the melodic harmonies. Morse absolutely pours his heart and soul into this. So it ends on a high note and a positive theme. Overall in effect I think the album improves dramatically on the second Cd building up all the time with some very strong compositions and melodies. The dilemma I have is the thing is so long and the concept is overblown sometimes. It is a bit poppy for my prog sensitive ears, though the songs grow on you like osmosis over time. It is a compelling album with many great songs and a few that could have been left off but it is hard to complain about such an ambitious passionate project as "Snow". I will settle with 4 stars as this is definitely an excellent addition to any prog addict's collection.

-------------

Posted By: Mr. Mustard
Date Posted: November 10 2012 at 21:10
I only have the stuff with NM, but:

V
Kindness of Strangers
Snow
Beware of Darkness
The Light
Day for Night

Posted By: kev rowland
Date Posted: November 10 2012 at 23:08
For me "Snow" is easily the finest album the band ever released, and I truly wish that Neal has stayed with the band long enough for them to have undertaken a proper tour to promote it.

'V' and 'The Light' will also feature highly in any list of my favourite albums by any band as well. When 'The Light' was first released there was a real buzz about it within the UK prog scene, even before it was then picked up and reissued by GEP.

I managed to see SB a few times with Neal, and then once with Nick on vocals. They were pretty good at what they were doing, but having really enjoyed the support bands (CGT and Enchant) I found myself thinking that I was watching a SB tribute band, and I left before the end.

To me SB will always be the original line-up. 

-------------
All five volumes of The Progressive Underground now available
https://www.amazon.com/Kev-Rowland/e/B07RJVRB2X

Posted By: Master of Time
Date Posted: June 19 2013 at 20:07
Originally posted by Master of Time Master of Time wrote:

I've just recently started getting back into X and checking out Feel Euphoria-Spock's Beard, and I enjoy the other NDV era stuff much more than I imagined I would (Except for Octane). So here's my list.
1. V
2. X
3. The Light
4. Spock's Beard
5. Feel Euphoria
6. Beware of Darkness
7. The Kindness of Strangers
8. Snow
9. Day for Night
10. Octane
I love all of 1-6, I really like 7&8, and I just kind of like 9 and 10.
I've been listening to a lot of Spock's lately and I've been thinking about this list and how much it's changed for me, so I thought I'd come back to this thread and compare.
  1. X
  2. Feel Euphoria
  3. Octane
  4. V
  5. Snow
  6. Spock's Beard
  7. Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep
  8. The Light
  9. Beware of Darkness
  10. The Kindness of Strangers
I've just grown to really love the Nick era, and even grown to love Snow, but in general my appreciation for the Neal era has waned. Also I like and even grew to love the new album with Ted, even more than some of the Neal's, but I still prefer every album of the Nick era to the new album.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 06:43
I haven't heard enough of all of them to rank 10, but Snow is definitely my favourite and at the moment I would put the latest "Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep" in second with probably V and X next.

Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 06:46
Originally posted by snowsnow snowsnow wrote:

The album ends with one of their greatest songs Wind at my back part 2 - one of the best ends to an album I've ever heard.

Clap Brilliant song and, as you say, what a way to end an album.

Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 12:58
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I haven't heard enough of all of them to rank 10, but Snow is definitely my favourite and at the moment I would put the latest "Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep" in second with probably V and X next.

Likewise. I haven't heard enough. In fact, I've only got one SB's album and that is SNOW. I like it, but don't love it. Keyboardist is amazing though. I want to further explore the beard by picking up Beware of the Darkness and their first Album The Light. If I like those. I'll get V.

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2013 at 06:21
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Likewise. I haven't heard enough. In fact, I've only got one SB's album and that is SNOW. I like it, but don't love it. Keyboardist is amazing though. I want to further explore the beard by picking up Beware of the Darkness and their first Album The Light. If I like those. I'll get V.
I recommend the latest Beard CD - "Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep". I've been listening to Ryo Okumoto's solo album "Coming Through" recently and that's very good as well.

Date Posted: June 21 2013 at 13:01

I recommend the latest Beard CD - "Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep". I've been listening to Ryo Okumoto's solo album "Coming Through" recently and that's very good as well.

Excellent suggestions that I shall gladly take into consideration. Thank you.
Have a very proggy day.

-------------

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: June 21 2013 at 13:25

In fact, I've only got one SB's album and that is SNOW. I like it, but don't love it. Keyboardist is amazing though. I want to further explore the beard by picking up Beware of the Darkness and their first Album The Light. If I like those. I'll get V.

You know, Nick, `Snow' is the only Spock's album that sounds anything like that. It had more accessible pieces, lots of well played and arranged melodic AOR/rock/ballads with proggy leanings.

I think you would definately go for `V' and `Beware of Darkness', or the most recent `Brief Nocturnes...' - that one in particular has a much heavier sound that I'm sure you would appreciate! It's a great album, the most focused and consistent that they've been in years!

Date Posted: June 22 2013 at 14:29
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

In fact, I've only got one SB's album and that is SNOW. I like it, but don't love it. Keyboardist is amazing though. I want to further explore the beard by picking up Beware of the Darkness and their first Album The Light. If I like those. I'll get V.

You know, Nick, `Snow' is the only Spock's album that sounds anything like that. It had more accessible pieces, lots of well played and arranged melodic AOR/rock/ballads with proggy leanings.

I think you would definately go for `V' and `Beware of Darkness', or the most recent `Brief Nocturnes...' - that one in particular has a much heavier sound that I'm sure you would appreciate! It's a great album, the most focused and consistent that they've been in years!

Yeah. I mean you know me as well as anybody on PA. I'm gladly taking your advice here.
I've never written off Spocks Beard, so if I were to be at one with the 'beard' once more I'd go down this route.
I'd like to hear SP's latest album. I'm curious to see how they have evolved without Morse.

:)

Thanks Micheal. I always enjoy your wonderful advice. Your a true friend. Thank you. :)

-------------

Posted By: Morsenator
Date Posted: June 26 2013 at 06:18
1. Snow
2. X
3. V
4. The Light
5. Beware of Darkness
6. Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep
7. Spock's Beard
8. The Kindness of Strangers
9. Day for Night
10. Feel Euphoria

Just an amazing band with really cool guys.

-------------
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Date Posted: June 26 2013 at 10:10
Originally posted by Morsenator Morsenator wrote:

1. Snow2. X3. V4. The Light5. Beware of Darkness6. Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep7. Spock's Beard8. The Kindness of Strangers9. Day for Night10. Feel EuphoriaJust an amazing band with really cool guys.

I see we have another SNOW fan once again.
There is something quite special about that album and I guess I may have struck gold by listening and buying this Beard album first.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk