Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90734
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 04:13
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Greek or Norse Mythology?
Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Subject: Greek or Norse Mythology?
Date Posted: November 22 2012 at 09:37
Thunderbolts, love affairs, Hercules, and hydras versus Frost Giants, the Midgard Serpent, Thor, and a giant cow.

Norse for me.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Replies:
Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: November 22 2012 at 10:17
what do you think i attempt to vote for?? 

-------------

Posted By: The Jester
Date Posted: November 22 2012 at 10:19
Sorry my Northern friends, but my vote goes to Greek Mythology... Smile
I am Greek afterall... Wink

-------------
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)

Date Posted: November 22 2012 at 10:25
greek are epic endeed, tehy sort of inventet the theme of epic, sort of, only predated by the Epic of Gilgamesh

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: November 22 2012 at 10:44
I love both

Iván

-------------

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: November 22 2012 at 10:59
Norse. A bit tired of Greek.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: November 22 2012 at 12:00
Norse, Greeks great too.

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: November 22 2012 at 12:17
I quite enjoy both, although I have to admit that my introduction to Norse mythology was via Marvel Comics' Journey Into Mystery/Thor series.  

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Date Posted: November 22 2012 at 14:32
my itroduction through Norse myth was through a baby sitter when i was 10, and greek myth through religion classes in elementary school

some Norse mythology is also brought through in various forms, but is tought about in school but not in detail,

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 22 2012 at 14:47
I had a passion for Greek mythology in my teenage years, so...

-------------

Posted By: refugee
Date Posted: November 22 2012 at 15:03
Being a Norwegian I may seem like a traitor but … I find Greek mythology to be richer, and I think it says more about human nature than Norse mythology.

-------------
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)

Date Posted: November 22 2012 at 15:10
moth people wants to stick their arms into giant wolf mouths, wrestle with giant snakeworms and ride 8 legged horses Wink

also loosing an eye for knowledge is something we all aspire to

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: November 22 2012 at 19:06
I prefer the Icelandic Eddas and Sagas over the Greek epics and tragedies.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: November 22 2012 at 19:18
Jesus promised to end sin
Thor promised to banish the ice giants.

I don't see any ice giants.

Norse mythology: 1, Christianity: 0.

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: November 22 2012 at 19:19
LOL

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: November 22 2012 at 19:53
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

LOL

Heard that before, but still a classic.

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: November 22 2012 at 21:03

LOL

Caio had something similar to this in his sig a while ago, except it used atheism as the butt of the joke instead of Christians.  They're both really funny.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: November 23 2012 at 06:00
Norse, o' course.  Ragnarok baybee!

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: November 23 2012 at 07:21

a little bit out of context (Christianity having to do nothing with Greek mythology), but I give you credit as it is indeed funny LOLLOLLOL.
I won't vote as I am not very familiar with the Norse mythology (being Greek my vote would be biased).
I find mythology to be really inspiring for young people (better than modern age TV rubbish...) - kids should be taught more about these things...

Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Date Posted: November 23 2012 at 13:42
Norse.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 23 2012 at 16:50
Both are good, but Norway reigns supreme.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: November 24 2012 at 16:48
Always Greek mythology.
Everyone is going to visit Hades after death, but, at least, Greeks weren't waiting for some apocalypse à la Ragnarok.

Posted By: Atkingani
Date Posted: November 24 2012 at 17:10
Haven't those mythologies, together with Celtic, Slavonic, Indo-Persian, etc, the same substrate or the same origin? I mean, peoples that lived in a certain area between Europe and Asia and are identified for sharing the same culture and speaking a common language, labelled the Proto-Indo European (PIE).

Later they dispersed and each mythology evolved separately but at least for me they are similar since they had the same craddle, dealing basically with anthropomorphic or zoomorphic characters.

Quite different are the mythologies of Americans (the originals) or some African peoples where the 'heroes' are associated with the powers of Nature: Sun, Moon, clouds, thunderbolts, rainbows and so on.

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: November 24 2012 at 18:31
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Haven't those mythologies, together with Celtic, Slavonic, Indo-Persian, etc, the same substrate or the same origin? I mean, peoples that lived in a certain area between Europe and Asia and are identified for sharing the same culture and speaking a common language, labelled the Proto-Indo European (PIE).

Later they dispersed and each mythology evolved separately but at least for me they are similar since they had the same craddle, dealing basically with anthropomorphic or zoomorphic characters.

Quite different are the mythologies of Americans (the originals) or some African peoples where the 'heroes' are associated with the powers of Nature: Sun, Moon, clouds, thunderbolts, rainbows and so on.

The Greek and Norse gods were also associated with the powers of nature. Similarities in mythologies have a lot  to do with the thought processes of humans that invented them and how they use those processes to answer questions such as how does the Sun move across the sky, and that alone presents such a limited number of options and possibilities that the chances of separate populations arriving at the same solution (a Sun god - Sol, Sunna, Helios, Apollo, Awondo, Ra, Sekmet, Bast, Aten, Tonatiuh,  Ri Gong Ri Guang Pu Sa, Tai Yang Shen, Surya, Amaterasu) is quite high. The same is true of creation myths, and here it is the differences between the various mythologies are just as informative - The Norse gods created the Universe whereas the Greek gods were created by the Universe - here two possible options and they picked different solutions.

Regardless of when homo sapiens migrated into the Americas (30,000 or 14,000 years ago) they were the same as us in every physical way, with the same brain capacity and the same speech abilities for memory and story-telling, it is possible that the mythologies migrated out of Africa with them.

-------------
What?

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: November 24 2012 at 18:45

Yes, all the Indo-European mythologies, as well as languages, have had the same common origins.

Though in every mythology gods are simply personificated powers of nature. The concept of anthropomorphic gods came pretty lately.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 02:23
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Yes, all the Indo-European mythologies, as well as languages, have had the same common origins.

Though in every mythology gods are simply personificated powers of nature. The concept of anthropomorphic gods came pretty lately.
When you live in tribes, with a flat structure, You will have mostly Gods of nature.
Moon, Sun, River, Thunder, Old Tree, Ocean, Mountain.

When you move into a more complex city based systemj (like the times of the known Norse & Greek myth) 
You still have nature gods, but more complex gods are added, God of Trade, God of poetry, Gods of War, God of justice, ect.

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 04:12
you have two types of pantheons in pre germanic north mythology, you have the Æsir and the Vanir, Vanir was the North germanic and Æsir was the western germanic, but in year 700 the continentual germanic was intruduced to the norther tribes, Æsirs were a more war based and agressive pantheon of gods, while Vanir was a more nature loving and spiritual dietys, but they were fused together after this war http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86sir%E2%80%93Vanir_War" rel="nofollow - Æsir-Vanir War .

-------------

Date Posted: November 25 2012 at 05:02
It seems to me that the Vanir was the tribal set of God - where fertility/wisdom is the important aspects of life.
But noone knows for sure. 
Might also be 2 diffrent clans with diffrent religions melting together.

-------------

Posted By: Brynhild
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 04:07
Hey!

Definitly norse mythology!
If you guys are also interested in old norse myths and want to know more, I invite you to visit this FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dreams-of-Valhalla/167530103397698

an iPad app will follow, and this is gonna be awesome!

Have fun, :)

Brynhild!

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 04:16
Norse
and welcome to the forum Brynhild

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 08:08
Hmmmm -

Norse:

Bloody hell, Madonna's let herself go...

Greek:

Me vote Greek.

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: March 20 2013 at 08:23
^ best post ever ClapLOL

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: March 20 2013 at 08:36
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Hmmmm -

Norse:

Bloody hell, Madonna's let herself go...

Greek:

Me vote Greek.

Yeah, but the last picture is a drawing. It would be better to have a recent photograph.

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: March 20 2013 at 12:02
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Yeah, but the last picture is a drawing. It would be better to have a recent photograph.

I would, but since an incident in her temple, there's a bit of a restraining order on me

AS FAR AS I WAS CONCERNED, I WAS WORSHIPPING HER!

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk