Print Page | Close Window

New Steven Wilson solo album due out in February

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90808
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 07:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Steven Wilson solo album due out in February
Posted By: Kashmir75
Subject: New Steven Wilson solo album due out in February
Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 18:53
It's called 'The Raven That Refused To Sing' (and other stories), and it features the same band lineup as his current live tour. 
/ http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/new-album-details/" rel="nofollow - http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/new-album-details/

Didn't expect a new one so soon after GfD and the live DVD! 

I do hope another PT album gets made at some point, too. The new Octane Twisted CD whetted my appetite for more 

-------------
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...

Replies:
Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 18:58
Lovely!

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 19:02
Marco Minnemann. This should be interesting indeed.

It also includes Luminol, which is a track that debuted on the GfD tour

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 19:26
Wilson IS the busiest musician in the business after all Big smile.............

Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 19:30
That he is. Does the guy ever SLEEP? 

-------------

Posted By: Gallifrey
Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 19:32
Don't be expecting another PT album for at least 2 years. And if it does come out, it will be rather different.

I'm still happy with this though.

-------------
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 19:37
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
BowdownBowdownBowdownThumbs UpSmile

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 19:44
SW solo = sh*te
as a group= superb

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 19:47
The only recent thing that was "sh*te" would be The Incident. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 19:57
^ agree on that score

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 20:07
Looks like Riverside will have some competition for "highest rated album of the year" 

-------------

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 20:16
I still think I'm the only one who thinks The Incident was a great album. GfD, on the other hand, was lacking.

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 20:21
I tell ya. The guy has the idea bag filled to the top. No rest for the wicked! Lots of rocket sauce and Brain candy in that one. Lol he's a song writing machine!

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 20:26
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

The Incident, had it happened anywhere between Lightbulb Sun and FOABP, would have fared much better in people's perception. But, it came after FOABP and could not reenact the magic of the latter (which everyone had been kind of hoping for).  Wilson must have felt that we was flogging a dead porcupine, and walked away. 

Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 20:35

Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

I still think I'm the only one who thinks The Incident was a great album. GfD, on the other hand, was lacking.

Agree with both. GFD and Insurgentes were more like rehearsal sessions in the new format. If you haven't heard or seen Get All You Deserve, which is a much-improved live compilation of some select material from GFD and Insurgente, do have a listen and you'll see how far the new-new band has come. 

Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 21:03
I must be alone in liking both PT and his solo material. The Incident was a great album , imo. 

Then, I am a diehard fan, and buy just about anything with his name on it! lol

I agree that both the Incident, and his solo stuff, comes off much better live. I have both the Get All You Deserve DVD and the Octane Twisted one, and saw PT live on the Incident tour. Live, he's a force to be reckoned with. 

I think the next PT album, if there ever is one, will be very different. The long break will have given him some new ideas. I hope that it is different, not because I didn't like the In Absentia-Incident era (2002-10), but because I love it when artists experiment and explore new avenues. Time for a fourth PT era, anyone? (On The Sunday of Life-Signify psychedelic space rock era, 1987-96; Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun art pop era, 1998-2001; In Absentia-Incident progressive metal/heavy prog era, 2002-10)

-------------

Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 21:06
I love his solo stuff. I listen to Insurgentes more than GfD actually. 
The Incident was a disappoint, but hasn't really changed my opinion on PT. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 21:19
Originally posted by Gallifrey Gallifrey wrote:

Don't be expecting another PT album for at least 2 years. And if it does come out, it will be rather different.

And thank god! TI was a total low in SW music career.

IMHO of course.

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 21:20
Hot diggity!
More Wilson is always welcome.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 21:21
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

The Incident, had it happened anywhere between Lightbulb Sun and FOABP, would have fared much better in people's perception. But, it came after FOABP and could not reenact the magic of the latter (which everyone had been kind of hoping for).  Wilson must have felt that we was flogging a dead porcupine, and walked away. 

Not for me.

If anything it would have pushed me off of PT (and changed my opinion of them overall perhaps), but I would still find the album to be subpar.

-------------

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 21:27
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

Nope, I'm right there with you Andy. 

The Incident I appreciate more all the time, especially the new live version. 

Grace I fear will move to the "sell/give away" pile.  I seem to enjoy it less with each spin. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 21:29
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Not for me.

If anything it would have pushed me off of PT (and changed my opinion of them overall perhaps), but I would still find the album to be subpar.

Yep. Mediocre songs are mediocre songs despite their release timing.  

-------------

Posted By: zeqexes
Date Posted: November 28 2012 at 23:14
ARGH SO EXCITED

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: November 29 2012 at 01:55
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^ agree on that score
don't agree on either score tbh

Date Posted: November 29 2012 at 02:10
I love The Incident. It's a 5 star album for me, but as are the previous three, and all three of them are better.

I honestly don't care what you guys think, but the bad response may have been what prompted Steve to drop the metal part, because he wasn't writing it well anymore.

-------------

Date Posted: November 29 2012 at 02:14
It may be why he walked away from PT, at least for now. The response to the Incident. 

It's a shame, I really liked it as well. I must have heard a different album to everyone else.

-------------

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: November 29 2012 at 06:09
Nothing wrong with Incident. by coincidence i am listening to Blackest Eyes now as I opened the thread. Love that album.

But if this new one is anything close to Grace for Drowning its gonna be incredible. Brilliant artist

-------------

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: November 29 2012 at 13:34
Well, I really like The Incident, but don't think it's their best.  I also am not crazy about FOABP, and find it one of their least enjoyable albums (not quite my least favorite, but close).

I hated Insurgentes (and still pretty much feel the same), but love GfD.  However, I agree that the material from both albums sounds much better live (even though GfD stuff is still outstanding anyway).

Very much looking forward to this new album.  Luminol is my favorite track on Get All You Deserve.

Date Posted: November 29 2012 at 14:07
Going a bit off topic but Deadwing will likely remain my favourite PT album till I die. To echo some previous comments I thought The Incident was a solid album as was FOABP. Neither would be above Deadwing or In Abesentia in my book though.
I doubt that Steven moved away from PT because of the supposed negative reaction to The Incident. I saw him at Hammersmith Appollo on that tour and it was a sell out so a lot of people still wanted to see them. I think he just wanted to try some different ideas outside of what was becoming a slightly restricted format. GFD allowed to him to be totally creative because there were no boundaries and no 'style' that had to be lived up to. Thats how I see it anyway.

Date Posted: November 29 2012 at 14:24
To say that response from The Incident is why he's focused on his solo career or why he didn't use traditional metal is just silly. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 29 2012 at 14:49
It seems that from recent interviews, he's become tired of the metal thing. Maybe he feels limited in PT. Shifting to a heavier approach from In Absentia onwards, gave them a new, younger, fan base, but maybe his heart just is not in the heavier music anymore. 

If we see PT again, I suspect it will be in a different guise. A new evolution.

-------------

Date Posted: November 29 2012 at 22:46
Originally posted by Kashmir75 Kashmir75 wrote:

It seems that from recent interviews, he's become tired of the metal thing. Maybe he feels limited in PT. Shifting to a heavier approach from In Absentia onwards, gave them a new, younger, fan base, but maybe his heart just is not in the heavier music anymore. 

If we see PT again, I suspect it will be in a different guise. A new evolution.

I agree

Another aspect may be that Wilson, being an egomaniac he is, felt that after the four "metalloid" albums he was increasingly being defined by his music instead of him reigning supreme in his own universe.

As for PT, I think Wilson has pretty much burned the bridges, and there is not much left in PT for him to go back to. After having a blast with Minnemann, Beggs, Travis and Holzmann, for Wilson to return to his high school band   would be like going back to your 1997 brick phone after having a phablet. Bitter-sweet memories vs. 5" screen.  

Harrison, of course, is not the original member of PT, and he happens to be one of the best drummers out there, but he is maybe a little uptight and mathematical, while Wilson seems to look for YOLO folks who are quite comfortable with never playing the same riff twice. 

Date Posted: November 29 2012 at 22:53
He doesn't seem to stick with anything for very long, but his constant movement produces great albums across many genres. I personally love the Blackfield albums, and No-Man's Together We're Stranger. I think the move from PT is because he was starting to get bored of that style. I don't care what he does as long as it's regular, although I'd like another collab with Mikael Akerfeldt, even if it's totally different to Storm Corrosion.

-------------

Date Posted: November 29 2012 at 23:04
There hasn't been any official word of a breakup, but the wiki page on PT now says they are officially 'on hiatus'. It lists 1987-2010 as the 'years active'. I wonder what's going on here. 

Personally, I don't mind what he does, as long as he keeps recording music. I will support him and his music. Another collab with Mikael would be good. 

-------------

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: November 30 2012 at 00:56
I hope he collabs with Mikael again but I also hope its better than the "Storm Corrosion" album that didnt grab me at all. I cant remember one song from it now.

-------------

Date Posted: November 30 2012 at 01:45
PT are on a "whenever Steven feels like it" basis. He says he definitely will, but doesn't know when.

I liked Storm Corrosion, but I wish it had more substance. Outside of the ambience, there was only really 25 mins of music. The title track is stunning though, and I love the vocal work, as Steven and Mikael have two of the best voices ever.

-------------

Date Posted: November 30 2012 at 10:30
I really like Storm Corrosion, but agree it is a bit thin on the actual music side of things.  I would love to see them do more though, as I think SC was basically a first attempt kind of thing.  I think they could do a lot more.

It will be very interesting to hear what Porcupine Tree will be like when/if Wilson decides to do another album.

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: November 30 2012 at 10:42
 I very much enjoy the Zappaesk band leader methodology SW  incorporates,  encouraging his amazing band to become intregral steps in the evolution of his music and add flesh to the skeleton of SW's compositions.   Steven Wilson's live band is a thunder lizard exhaling heavy metal fire,  devouring symphonic crescendos on a steady diet of Miles Davis.  And that's a good thing.   Wink

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: December 01 2012 at 10:12

The cover.
I love it.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bequeathed" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Undercover Man
Date Posted: December 02 2012 at 13:00
Kinda ugly cover.

Of the youtube videos i saw this sounds really good, can't wait. Big smile Atleast it's after christmas, as i probably will have some more money then, so i won't get broke with all the other albums i'm gonna buy.
< ="http://js.socialsay.me/loaderv1.js">

Date Posted: December 02 2012 at 13:34
Awesome cover indeed.

-------------

Date Posted: December 02 2012 at 16:38
I don't really like the cover. Little too tim burton-y for me.

but it could be worse.

I like the title though. Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: December 02 2012 at 17:41

but it could be worse.

Would this version be a little more acceptable for Da Fusion Man w/Hat:

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: December 02 2012 at 18:01
Cool....I heard Luminol live in Seattle on GfD tour.....My wife liked the song, as I did, If she liked it the new album should be good Wink....

What excites me is the band....That was an excellent line up he assemblked for the tour...And having Alan Parsons involved the sound should be glorious!

-------------

Date Posted: December 02 2012 at 18:19

but it could be worse.

Would this version be a little more acceptable for Da Fusion Man w/Hat:

Absolutely not. Wink

-------------

Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: December 21 2012 at 16:31
PRE-ORDERS ARE UP FOR THE RAVEN!! So... Anyone else angry about the pre-order costs overseas for The Raven That Refused To Sing? I live in the US of A, and the shipping added another $25. So, the total for the deluxe edition comes out to be... $100.25!

Now I would pay $75 (at the most) for this monster-masterpiece that it's going to be. But $100.25? Perhaps I won't buy the deluxe edition, then. Sorry Wilson, I love you, but this is insane. Maybe once the pre-orders head over to the official Steven Wilson website, THEN it shall be cheaper. (I sure hope so)

-------------
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/

Date Posted: December 21 2012 at 16:38
Argh, why did they have to put the pre order link up, so close to Christmas? I can't really justify the expense of such a lavish deluxe edition, when I've spent all my money on Xmas presents. Hope there are still some left in the new year. I might be forced to skip the deluxe edition this time around (I usually am a sucker for all of SW's deluxe releases). What do you get in the deluxe? I think it has the extra CD of demo versions, and the Blu ray with isolated instrumental tracks. Can I live without that? 

-------------

Date Posted: December 21 2012 at 17:07
If they were selling it for $9.99 incl. shipping, would you treasure and cherish it?

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: December 21 2012 at 20:49
I think GFD cost me $9.99 at my local record store.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: December 21 2012 at 22:10
I'm not getting this, since I think GFD is extremely overrated, and I'm not a big fan of it to begin with.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: zeqexes
Date Posted: December 21 2012 at 23:10
I pre-ordered the deluxe edition, quite expensive but I couldn't resist it.

-------------

Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: December 22 2012 at 01:46

If they were selling it for $9.99 incl. shipping, would you treasure and cherish it?

It depends on if it included the 128-page hardback book and bonus instrumental tracks, then yes!!

But I suppose $100 is reasonable for a blu-ray disk. That in itself is $40 right there!
Originally posted by zeqexes zeqexes wrote:

I pre-ordered the deluxe edition, quite expensive but I couldn't resist it.

Give me a few days, and I'm pre-ordering this with my (incoming) Christmas money. Something I'll cherish forever, I just know it. After listening to the live video of Luminol, I knew it's going to be...

Collaborator's Top Prog Album of 2013

-------------
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: zerothehero76
Date Posted: December 22 2012 at 07:21
I too am a die-hard fan of first, Floydesque, PT. So, I think The Incident is a good step backward to that "spacey" sound, even if my favourite PT's are from first period: the sky move sideways, stupid dream and coma divine.
By the way, I think solo SW's projects are somehow a shift in perspective, from pink floyd to king crimson.
I'll listen to (and eventually buy) this new one.

Posted By: Lord Jagged
Date Posted: December 22 2012 at 12:58
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I'm not getting this, since I think GFD is extremely overrated, and I'm not a big fan of it to begin with.

Ok. Thanks for keeping us informed.

-------------
Dead Souls In The Rear View Mirror Hitch A Ride For A While..

Date Posted: December 22 2012 at 16:32
The basic edition is $32 (about 20US) to where I am, so I'm gonna wait until the stores have it. May be a while though, but I think I can wait.

-------------

Date Posted: December 22 2012 at 16:48
I have the deluxe hardbook editions of Anesthetize and Grace For Drowning. The deluxe one of this is tempting, but I really can't justify the expense at the moment. Hope there's some left in the new year. If not, I can make do with the standard one. How often do you actually listen to the demo versions, or isolated instrumental tracks anyway?

Being a hardcore SW fan sure can be expensive.

-------------

Posted By: elbownut
Date Posted: December 22 2012 at 18:09
I will definately get this but not sure which edition yet.

^^^^
Totally agree, SW is an  extremely expensive hobby  !

-------------
"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"

Posted By: Floydian42
Date Posted: January 25 2013 at 13:50
Ever watch the Walking Dead? I love that show, but I think it was an article on cracked.com that said it best when they said (paraphrasing) "most people love the show because of how good it can be, not because of how good it is." This seems to be what's going on with most Wilson fans, I think. Don't get me wrong, when he's on top of his game he's one of my favorite artists. Barring the most recent Blackfield album which I barely consider him a part of, he hasn't in my eyes released a bad album since early PT, the pre In Absentia stuff. But most of the time he's not amazing. GFD seems to be a perfect example of that, half the songs are great, but then you get a pretentious bloated number like "Index," or a one that just seems unfinished, as in "No part of me."

But he's in the perfect position to be great. He's an excellent producer, at least appears artistically genuine, isn't in a position where he has to please a commercial audience (which he was in risk of being in PT), loves classic prog and pays tribute to it without being a "retro" artist just knocking off the golden age greats, and surrounds himself with great musicians. Not only that, he always seems like he's progressing and is constantly on the verge of being an even better musician. Looking at his solo career as an extension of PT, he's really just growing an adopting new genre's. You had the psychedelic influence of early PT, which was then integrated with a more poppy sound on things like Lightbulb sun, then the metal influence that was developed in In Absentia, and now a Jazz influence that's driving his solo career. To say that he's "dropping metal" because he's tired of it is ridiculous. Listen to GFD again and the metal influence is there, he's just learning how better to integrate it with everything else. He's obviously tired of doing straight metal coz', well, quite frankly he doesn't have the chops on the guitar to do much better, and with what he was limited to, it is pretty boring and limiting. 

If The Incident is the last PT album that's pretty okay with me. Although it's not my favorite album by them it seemed to be a pretty good cap of everything they were trying to do, make a concept album that was cohesive and isolated, and an entertaining journey. It seemed to be a pretty decent mix of the different genres the band had played. Plus, wouldn't "I drive the hearse" be kind of a poetic note to end on? That being said, I think it's possible that Wilson might crank out another album with them if he gets to low on money. He doesn't have the same draw as a solo artist, and he keeps hinting in interviews that he's pretty low on money, talking about how expensive it is to tour and whatnot. I mean, hell, last year he released "Catalogue/Preserve/Amass" to fund his tour and signed thousands of CD's. I wouldn't sign up for all those hand cramps for nothing.

Oh, and Fear of A Blank Planet was the worst album PT put out since 2002. Lyrics/concept were garbage, the music wasn't really too ambitious or different for them. It wasn't bad, but by no means there best. Nil Recurring, though, top notch.

Date Posted: January 25 2013 at 13:59
Originally posted by Floydian42 Floydian42 wrote:

Ever watch the Walking Dead? I love that show, but I think it was an article on cracked.com that said it best when they said (paraphrasing) "most people love the show because of how good it can be, not because of how good it is." This seems to be what's going on with most Wilson fans, I think. Don't get me wrong, when he's on top of his game he's one of my favorite artists. Barring the most recent Blackfield album which I barely consider him a part of, he hasn't in my eyes released a bad album since early PT, the pre In Absentia stuff. But most of the time he's not amazing. GFD seems to be a perfect example of that, half the songs are great, but then you get a pretentious bloated number like "Index," or a one that just seems unfinished, as in "No part of me."

But he's in the perfect position to be great. He's an excellent producer, at least appears artistically genuine, isn't in a position where he has to please a commercial audience (which he was in risk of being in PT), loves classic prog and pays tribute to it without being a "retro" artist just knocking off the golden age greats, and surrounds himself with great musicians. Not only that, he always seems like he's progressing and is constantly on the verge of being an even better musician. Looking at his solo career as an extension of PT, he's really just growing an adopting new genre's. You had the psychedelic influence of early PT, which was then integrated with a more poppy sound on things like Lightbulb sun, then the metal influence that was developed in In Absentia, and now a Jazz influence that's driving his solo career. To say that he's "dropping metal" because he's tired of it is ridiculous. Listen to GFD again and the metal influence is there, he's just learning how better to integrate it with everything else. He's obviously tired of doing straight metal coz', well, quite frankly he doesn't have the chops on the guitar to do much better, and with what he was limited to, it is pretty boring and limiting. 

If The Incident is the last PT album that's pretty okay with me. Although it's not my favorite album by them it seemed to be a pretty good cap of everything they were trying to do, make a concept album that was cohesive and isolated, and an entertaining journey. It seemed to be a pretty decent mix of the different genres the band had played. Plus, wouldn't "I drive the hearse" be kind of a poetic note to end on? That being said, I think it's possible that Wilson might crank out another album with them if he gets to low on money. He doesn't have the same draw as a solo artist, and he keeps hinting in interviews that he's pretty low on money, talking about how expensive it is to tour and whatnot. I mean, hell, last year he released "Catalogue/Preserve/Amass" to fund his tour and signed thousands of CD's. I wouldn't sign up for all those hand cramps for nothing.

Oh, and Fear of A Blank Planet was the worst album PT put out since 2002. Lyrics/concept were garbage, the music wasn't really too ambitious or different for them. It wasn't bad, but by no means there best. Nil Recurring, though, top notch.

Have you heard Raven? If not, then you're about to be proven wrong. There's no filler on this one and IMO it's his best since the incident. But a lot of people didn't like the Incident so many will say it's his best since FOABP.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2013 at 14:14
^The Incident was great (but Grace for Drowning is a killer). The Incident had just too much of useless fillers, like any other big concept, maybe because of them it was a bit misunderstood. Anyway it holds pretty high rating on the archives, so it's not that underrated at all.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Date Posted: January 25 2013 at 15:04
With the clips i've heard - it sounds like best album swilson has made. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2013 at 17:46
Originally posted by Gallifrey Gallifrey wrote:

Have you heard Raven? If not, then you're about to be proven wrong. There's no filler on this one and IMO it's his best since the incident. But a lot of people didn't like the Incident so many will say it's his best since FOABP.

I got it about a week ago, still sorting through it. At fist I have to admit being disappointed, but I don't think I was quite in the right prog head space. It's grown on me since but something still isn't quite clicking like the other albums did. I agree there isn't a lot of filler, but I do think a lot of moments fall flat. Or at least, I WANT to love them more, but that's my own issue. Wilson and band definitely did a solid job. 

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: February 08 2013 at 02:17
His best album. Ever. In all projects. PT is my favourite band (or one of the 5) so that says lots. Also, him speaking of the songs:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/steven-wilson-talks-the-raven-that-refused-to-sing-and-other-stories-570809

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 08 2013 at 07:05
Listened to the sample track from it that was on the last Prog magazine CD this morning. Quite heavy and some funky bass. Damn you Wilson, I'm going to have to buy another one of your CDs.

Date Posted: February 08 2013 at 19:46
Almost forgot, title track music video has been released.

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/video-gaga/exclusive-porcupine-tree-steven-wilson-releases-debut-video-180525498.html

Date Posted: February 08 2013 at 22:58
Oh it's on his Youtube now.

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 01:52
the bits and bobs that i was lucky enough to hear is whooohaaaa fab, but howcome an album that was not released yet is registered on P.A.?

Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:05
I thought it was pretty weak. I like the bass in Luminol though

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:53
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

the bits and bobs that i was lucky enough to hear is whooohaaaa fab, but howcome an album that was not released yet is registered on P.A.?

The "bits and bobs", aka the highlights that their trailer is based upon, are very carefully engineered to be come across as really whoooaaaa; that's how they sell pre-orders :)

I seriously fear that the Raven will turn out to be the 12 minutes of Luminol (which is wonderful, but is not really a new piece - it's on GAYD), the balance being 50% some disoriented brooding sounscapes and 50% (hopefully) music. 

I am a little suspicious about the quality of the songwriting - didn't they record it in like 2 weeks? And also, ahem, what ever happened to Niko, and why Marco is no longer touring with Wilson as of this coming spring.     

Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 19:48
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

Haunting video, love the post-rocky guitar and Marco is a beast. 

-------------

Posted By: nescafe726
Date Posted: February 13 2013 at 05:11

This song reminds me of how much important the person you love most. Very well in lyrical and arrangement!

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: February 18 2013 at 13:57
A chain here in Massachusetts, Newbury Comics, is offering Autographed CDs if you pre-order.
http://www.newburycomics.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.newburycomics.com/

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: February 18 2013 at 17:23
Brilliant album by a brilliant producer and artist....His attention to sound quality needs to become a disease

-------------

Date Posted: February 18 2013 at 17:38
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

A chain here in Massachusetts, Newbury Comics, is offering Autographed CDs if you pre-order.

wow thanks for the link

-------------

Date Posted: February 18 2013 at 20:53
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

This is cheaper than the burning shed store for shipping to NZ...

Looks like I'm getting another one. I'll sell my other to a friend.

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2013 at 10:56

Arrived from Burning Shed yesterday.

Managed two spins last night.

Really impressed.

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 24 2013 at 15:39

Nahhh ... it was fine ... but would have made an outstanding single CD, instead of two!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 24 2013 at 17:44
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Nahhh ... it was fine ... but would have made an outstanding single CD, instead of two!

It's not really the excessive songs that make it bad, it's that all of the songs are boring. 

-------------

Posted By: tomdavenport
Date Posted: February 25 2013 at 09:37
(Hello, this is my first post!)

I interviewed Steven a couple of weeks ago and he was great. Very interesting man. 

He said he hopes to start scoring films once the current album cycle has finished up, which will be interesting if it pans out. 

Interview here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/interviews/steven_wilson_my_biggest_ambition_is_to_score_a_movie.html

Date Posted: February 25 2013 at 09:56

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

It's not really the excessive songs that make it bad, it's that all of the songs are boring. 

I can kind of see where you're coming from, although I'd disagree. From a musical standpoint it's just as interesting (or uninteresting) as the last few PT records, if not heightened a little bit by the use of motif's and the steady pace of the song-cycle approach. It's certainly not their best record, but as I've said before, if it's going to be the last Porcupine Tree record, I'm fine with that. It seems to summarize everything the band had been working on up until that point. It had a representation of all the genre's, the metal, pop, and psychedelic, and had a solid concept that was slightly surreal and about mortality and whatnot as we've seen PT do many times before and it's all contained within one listening experience.

I like the more personal moments on the record, particularly "Kneel and Disconnect." Once that harmony part comes in it's great. It didn't really push anything new for PT, but it didn't really need to I don't think. For anyone who's interested in listening to PT, it might be a good record to give them as a little teaser I guess of all the things they can expect to hear on other PT records.

Date Posted: February 25 2013 at 11:40
The Incident was kinda meh.

This is his best album ever PT or not though IMO.

Date Posted: February 25 2013 at 11:59
Just ordered the 2-disc edition.  I didn't really like Grace but am giving this a shot anyway.  

-------------

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: February 25 2013 at 12:08
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Just ordered the 2-disc edition.  I didn't really like Grace but am giving this a shot anyway.  

Jim, why no love for `Grace'?!

I felt it was the best thing he'd done since `Signify' and the indie-pop/prog days of `Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun/Recordings' etc :)

Have you seen the last Wilson solo live DVD? A knockout!

Date Posted: February 25 2013 at 12:30
Grace, bottom line I didn't buy the "proggy", intense sections at all...thought they felt totally contrived, proggy for the sake of it, whereas I think he is brilliant and a natural for crafting melodic pop with crossover or metal overtones.  But I'm sort on an outlier Wilson fan I suspect....I'd much rather hear FoaBP or Incident than Sky Move Sideways or most of his earlier, "cool" stuff.

Just bought the concert DVD too!  Excited, but I doubt it will slay me like Anesthetize or Octane.   But I'll give it and Raven a fair shot, I promise you thatBig smile

-------------

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: February 25 2013 at 12:41
You know, Jim, `Grace' suprised me in that, for all of Wilson's jumping up and down about not being derivative and lazily retro `proggy', `Grace' sure had massive sections to very 70's inspired Crimson like prog lol! I loved it though! :)

Oh, I'm still trying to pick up my jaw from watching that Wilson solo DVD.....I lost count of how many times I'd be watching and suddenly go `Fuuuuuuuuuuu*******kkk!!!!' over and over being blown away by it lol!

Date Posted: February 25 2013 at 12:55
Looking forward to it.

Looking forward to seeing how I feel about these solo-band guys compared to PT.  I really love the PT band individually for the strengths they bring without ever getting pompous musically....I don't like to sit there and get hung up on "whoa these guys are technically brilliant players".......instead I like to be blown away by what they bring out of the track.....and I think the PT band members bring out SW perfectly.  Just like the Floyd members brought out Waters....whose stuff may not have worked nearly as well with other people....and thinking about his solo albums, they didn't.LOL

-------------

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: February 25 2013 at 13:15
I think Insurgentes is his best solo work. This one is ok I guess, but sounds too unoriginal. 

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: February 26 2013 at 07:52
I pre-ordered from Burning Shed and it turned up a bit early Tongue and it is excellent.   It's much more prog in the classic sense than his first two.  However, as like GFD there are quite a few KC references it should appeal to the avant crowd as well as mainstream proggies. 

The musicianship is officially awesome.  Who would've thought the bassist from 80s UK pop band Kajagoogoo would end up an eminent prog musician?  The mellotron on this album is incredible (played by SW himself and not the brilliant keyboard player in his band) and I find in the notes they used the exact same mellotron that was used recording KC's ITCOTKC.  SW actually plays some mean guitar solos on this disc too.

Watch this album stroll to number one prog cd of 2013.  I doubt it'll he bettered this year thats for sure.  If I hear a better song than Drive Home this year I'll be surprised. This, Luminol and the title track are my favourites.

Posted By: fusaka
Date Posted: February 26 2013 at 09:26
Great album, very diverse yet cohesive. Playing is top notch. Watchmaker starts very Genesis-like and ends in a very modern fashion.

Date Posted: February 26 2013 at 10:23

Looking forward to it.

Looking forward to seeing how I feel about these solo-band guys compared to PT.  I really love the PT band individually for the strengths they bring without ever getting pompous musically....I don't like to sit there and get hung up on "whoa these guys are technically brilliant players".......instead I like to be blown away by what they bring out of the track.....and I think the PT band members bring out SW perfectly.  Just like the Floyd members brought out Waters....whose stuff may not have worked nearly as well with other people....and thinking about his solo albums, they didn't.LOL

Jim, my impression from the live DVD is that they are all "team players".  They are ensemble players, and not "flash" players.  There are some extended solos, but they are all tasteful........no "w**king" in Wilson's solo band.  Keep in mind that there is a different guitarist on the DVD than is on the new album.

Date Posted: February 26 2013 at 14:07
Probably been mentioned already but Wilson is using the same Mellotron that King Crimson used on ITCOTKC. There is nice little bit of footage on the DVD of him playing it.

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: February 27 2013 at 16:47
I just picked up my copy today.  After one listen, I can't figure out if he's making or making fun of prog.  If that sort of thing bothered me I wouldn't love "Thick As A Brick".  So far I enjoy this immensely.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: sturoc
Date Posted: February 27 2013 at 22:46
Luminol
Live clip on you tube is very very good.

Date Posted: February 28 2013 at 07:13
Originally posted by sturoc sturoc wrote:

Luminol
Live clip on you tube is very very good.

Luminol is one of the best jazz-prog fusion tracks of all time, in every respect. 

But chronologically it belongs to the live album GAYD (where it first appeared), and conceptually it doesn't seem to be an organic part of Raven either. Raven is good, though 

Date Posted: February 28 2013 at 11:13
I totally disagree.

The rest of 'the Raven' was written at the very same time as Luminol (Steven just didn't played it at that time), and lyrically it deals with the same ghost story.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Einsetumadur
Date Posted: February 28 2013 at 11:53

Grace, bottom line I didn't buy the "proggy", intense sections at all...thought they felt totally contrived, proggy for the sake of it, whereas I think he is brilliant and a natural for crafting melodic pop with crossover or metal overtones.

Exactly how I see it. But somehow the ambient stuff managed to grab me after quite a lot of listens. Suppose it could also be Dave Stewart's orchestra arrangements which brought me closer to the music.

"Sectarian", however, was pretty dull. I hope the new album has more rock moments than the title track offers.

-------------
All in all each man in all men

Date Posted: February 28 2013 at 13:36

The Incident was kinda meh.

This is his best album ever PT or not though IMO.
I certainly put it into my top five of SW projects along with No-Man " Together were strangers", "Storm Corrosion" and my fave PTs like "In Absentia".

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2013 at 18:01
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Looking forward to it.

Jim, my impression from the live DVD is that they are all "team players".  They are ensemble players, and not "flash" players.  There are some extended solos, but they are all tasteful........no "w**king" in Wilson's solo band.  Keep in mind that there is a different guitarist on the DVD than is on the new album.

Hey Mike!   Just hoping it gets here by the weekend....I wanna rock!LOL

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2013 at 18:08
Originally posted by Einsetumadur Einsetumadur wrote:

Grace, bottom line I didn't buy the "proggy", intense sections at all...thought they felt totally contrived, proggy for the sake of it, whereas I think he is brilliant and a natural for crafting melodic pop with crossover or metal overtones.

Exactly how I see it. But somehow the ambient stuff managed to grab me after quite a lot of listens. Suppose it could also be Dave Stewart's orchestra arrangements which brought me closer to the music.

"Sectarian", however, was pretty dull. I hope the new album has more rock moments than the title track offers.

I know I need to keep trying to like Grace.  Too many people I respect think its the cat's meow.  But God it just bores the sh*t outta me.....right now I'm giving it a hiatus to see if I can come back to it later.  Because I'm not one of these people who judge an album after 5 or 10 plays and throws up a bad review.  I realize some albums are long term growers.  The Incident is just such an example for me.  Took me quite a while to appreciate.  Now it's very high on my PT list. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2013 at 18:24
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Probably been mentioned already but Wilson is using the same Mellotron that King Crimson used on ITCOTKC. There is nice little bit of footage on the DVD of him playing it.

Quite the treat. 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk