Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90950
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 15:20
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Robert Fripp vs David Bowie
Posted By: Icarium
Subject: Robert Fripp vs David Bowie
Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 13:11
they to me is the two most innovative figures of rock overall, they made trends rather then follow them they staked the course for other, be it glam, prog, metal, new wave or experimental music, they helped define other peoples sounds as much as they took controll of theirs, Fripp in his moniker King Crimson, and Bowie as Bowie, in any incarnation, or alias,

where whould rock have been had it not been for In Court of the Crimson King and the Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars,

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 13:15
Robert BY FAR

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 13:15
There is relatively not a lot from Bowie that really fascinated me. Fripp has a greater chance of striking me.

Fripp.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 13:17
Fripp because he is vital to prog IMO.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 13:19
without Bowie there whould hardly bee any Art rock 

-------------

Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 13:20
^ I'm not sold. What about ELO and PF? And I don't hear any Bowie influence in Talking Heads' late 70's music.

Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 13:27
Bowie did innovative stuff before ELO,, but yes Pink Floyd and Velvet Underground were the innisitators of art rock but Bowie made it into art rock, by his non-compromising mind and his way of doing unusual chords and eccentrik ideas concepts,

Bowie created a well of ideas in teh early 70s and and also teh Berlin trilogy which sort of degines the singer/songwriter legasy of art rock

-------------

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 13:31
Tough one.  I think both are very important figures in music, Robert more so in prog (although he probably also had some influence on metal and punk), David moreso in rock and pop.  I love both though.  Can't decide.

BTW, aginor, I think I just fell in love with the girl in your sig. 

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 13:32
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Bowie did innovative stuff before ELO,, but yes Pink Floyd and Velvet Underground were the innisitators of art rock but Bowie made it into art rock, by his non-compromising mind and his way of doing unusual chords and eccentrik ideas concepts, 

Bowie created a well of ideas in teh early 70s and and also teh Berlin trilogy which sort of degines the singer/songwriter legasy of art rock

Nonetheless, the Crims did more things: the initiation of prog (In The Court, with the help of Fripp), the veering into the metal realm with prog (Larks'), slick production ahead of its time (Red), a curious mix of New Wave and pop with prog (Discipline), etc. 

Bowie has his merits of novelty too.

... Bowie made it into art rock, by his non-compromising mind and his way of doing unusual chords and eccentrik ideas concepts ...
He wasn't the first one to do that.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 13:40
As awesome as Bowie is, I vote Fripp without hesitation.  I have burned out on Bowie several times in the past.  Besides, the Bowie I like best is with Fripp (and Eno).

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 13:41
^ Hey, what do you know? How could I forget about the collaborations? Now that aginor mentioned the Berlin Trilogy, he need not forget that Bowie did not craft those alone.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 13:50
In terms of popular art rock, Bowie by far. In terms of pure prog, Fripp.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 13:56
I vote Bowie, but I love Fripp, Byrne or Eno. I grew up with that kind of musicians who have spent their lives wondering

about their art. I think that a good musician is a musician who fights the habit. A good listener too, no Question

Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 14:02
^ Confused What habit? 

Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 14:03
skin rash perhapst

-------------

Posted By: HarbouringTheSoul
Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 14:28

where whould rock have been had it not been for [...] the Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

As much as I like that album, I don't think it would have made much of a difference.

Posted By: Neu!mann
Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 15:39
Fripp, hands down: this poll won't even be close.

And isn't it interesting that one of Bowie's most widely recognized songs (Heroes) earned its fame largely because of RF's guitar playing?

-------------
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 16:31
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

Fripp, hands down: this poll won't even be close.

And isn't it interesting that one of Bowie's most widely recognized songs (Heroes) earned its fame largely because of RF's guitar playing?
And Rick Wakeman's keyboards if I remember correctly...however if I exclude KC I prefer Bowie to Fripp's solo works.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 16:41
LOL

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 16:45
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

LOL

From "Space Oddity" to "Ashes to Ashes" to be clearer. If you ask Bowie vs King Crimson I vote for the second.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 16:56
The more Bowie I listen to, the harder this question becomes.  That being said, I guess I'll stick with Fripp for now.

-------------
A fun place to review and discuss metal: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/" rel="nofollow - MetalMusicArchives

Posted By: otto pankrock
Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 17:46
Bowie has made a huge contribution to music but on this site it's gotta be Fripp

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 19:54
Fripp by far---Bowie is okay especially on Heros and Low---hate Young Americans and the faux soul sound.

Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 20:04
^ Just reminding you that we are judging in terms of innovation and importance to art and prog rock (... and overall).

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 22:42
For me, both made their best music in the 1970s, and three reigned supreme for that decade: Floyd, Eno and Bowie. So... Bowie obviously :-)
By the way, do we all know that Fripp guested on some of Eno's seminal albums? Fripp played on 3 tracks on Eno's debut HERE COME THE WARM JETS, another three tracks on ANOTHER GREEN WORLD, and a track on MUSIC FOR FILMS (the classic "Slow Water")... Plus other assorted prog alumni like Robert Wyatt, Phil Collins and Phil Manzanera...

Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 22:46
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ I'm not sold. What about ELO and PF? And I don't hear any Bowie influence in Talking Heads' late 70's music.
The Bowie influence is *huge* in Talking Heads. That might be because Eno's presence was huge both in Bowie's famed Berlin trilogy (LOW, HEROES, LODGER) and as producer and unofficial member of Talking Heads.

Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 22:49
^ Then that does not make it Bowie's influence. That makes it Eno's influence.

Date Posted: December 08 2012 at 23:02

^ Then that does not make it Bowie's influence. That makes it Eno's influence.
^ Hmph. I think you  might be right LOL

Posted By: resurrection
Date Posted: December 09 2012 at 02:37
Robert Fripp is a great guitarist, but Bowie is the more important figure in world music.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: December 09 2012 at 03:41
Love both so I'l vote for the music they made together. Fripp's guitar in Teenage Wildlife (Scary Monsters) is terrific, and KC never had a singer as good as Bowie!

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: December 09 2012 at 10:48
Overall and all things considered, deifnetly Fripp. I love absolutely everything that man puts out whether that be KC, Solo, Co-Projects, etc. Sort of in the same vein as Toby Driver for me (Kayo Dot, maudlin Of The Well), and vice versa. With Bowie, Low and Heroes are the only albums I listen causally by him. Great albums, but everything else comes out sounding sort of bland to me.

-------------

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: December 09 2012 at 11:00
My bad guys, I should have read the question properly. Tongue Through an innovation context, man this is a thinker for sure. I mean, both have done so much more popular music; Bowie geared toward a more commercial motivation, Fripp a more unconventional.  I'd still say Fripp though - Frippertronics was a new approach and technique on how to play guitar, and his guitar style on the 80's KC records is so unique. Bowie was more of a pop culture icon with his personality and presentation - I guess more influential there.

-------------

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: December 09 2012 at 11:42
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

KC never had a singer as good as Bowie!
That's a matter of taste, I prefer every KC singer, except Haskell, over David Bowie. Adrian Belew has even similar timbre as Bowie, but his vocal range is on somewhat higher level.

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: December 09 2012 at 12:44
Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

That's a matter of taste, I prefer every KC singer, except Haskell, over David Bowie. Adrian Belew has even similar timbre as Bowie, but his vocal range is on somewhat higher level.

For me, Bowie isn't such a great singer. He's good, and has his own identity, but I find Greg Lake miles ahead. And I like Adrian Belew at least a bit better than Bowie. However, I have never been much of a fan of Wetton's singing, and wasn't particularly impressed by the singers between Lake and Wetton (except for Jon Anderson... but he wasn't an official singer anyway).

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: December 09 2012 at 12:46
Bowie may be a prince among men, but in our insular, grotesque world of prog it's the royal Uncle Bob who we all hail.  

Posted By: MonsterMagnet
Date Posted: December 09 2012 at 13:03
Mr. Fripp Smile

Posted By: moodyxadi
Date Posted: December 09 2012 at 15:08
In pop music terms (where prog rock is just a tiny, eccentric component) is Bowie by thousands of miles. This answer is absent of bias, is objective. Comparinf the Beatles and Pink Floyd influence in pop music is a similar question with a similar answer: The Beatles were the major source of inspiration/challenge for musicians still today. Of course Pink Floyd's influence in pop music is higher than Fripp too. Only in a prog context Fripp's work is more influential than Bowie's.

I believe that Fripp's inovative leading role ended after his first couple of solo albums. Of course he produced great stuff after this but nothing to compare to his late 60's / 70's work. That band Discipline (wrongly named King Crimson) is more affected for what was happening in the early 80's than properly influencing other groups. 

-------------
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: December 09 2012 at 19:30
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

For me, Bowie isn't such a great singer. He's good, and has his own identity, but I find Greg Lake miles ahead. And I like Adrian Belew at least a bit better than Bowie. However, I have never been much of a fan of Wetton's singing, and wasn't particularly impressed by the singers between Lake and Wetton (except for Jon Anderson... but he wasn't an official singer anyway).
I love Lake's voice but overall I think that Bowie was even a better singer.

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: December 09 2012 at 20:13
Fripp for me. I miss KC or him touring. I don't miss Bowie touring at all.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: December 10 2012 at 20:42
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

Fripp for me. I miss KC or him touring. I don't miss Bowie touring at all.

There's been 21st Century Schizoid band touring last decade, though I don't really know if they are still active. If they would come to play near me I would go see them (this was a band that included Mc Donald and Collins, plus other early King Crimson Personell, playing songs from that period). More recently, there's been Crimson project, or something like that, with Belew and and other more recent King Crimson members. Of course, none of this bands included Fripp himself.

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: December 11 2012 at 06:33
Both.

On the one hand Fripp is well known for his prog innovations, on the second hand is Bowie contributed to music in a way that overtakes prog.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: December 11 2012 at 06:39
Both are innovative, but I think Fripp is a level above Bowie.

-------------

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: December 11 2012 at 06:47
Why doesn't someone ask Belew? He played with both of them, so could give a definitive answer, thus negating the need for a poll

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: The Mystical
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 08:33
Bowie.

-------------
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 08:53
Both, and while the poll may seem like apples and oranges - there is indeed a connection between these musical chameleons, who have shed their skin so many times, be that in very different ways.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 09:32

Vote goes to fripp, his journey is just amasing, im not talking about ITCOTCK or KC especialy, but the fact that he has been involved in so many fantastic and very diffrent stages of Rock music.

He created and constantly changes KC; he plays an important role in the Eno catalog; he made so amasingly many cool people work together on   album.asp?id=4430" rel="nofollow - Exposure , he had more than 10 fingers in the creation of PG's solo career, he played those amasing guitar solos on Bowie's Heroes & Scary Monsters, Ten Seconds, Sylvian, Summers, The L O Gentlemen, The L O C guitarists, FFWD, Bill Rieflin, No-Man, and a lot more.

The music he was involved in have been insanely wide spread, but allways interesting and most of it is totaly fantastic. Actualy im sometimes a bit sad, how his KC stuff seems to be the only part of his music, that people find very interesting on PA, im my book, its just a fraction of his contribution.

Bowie is great, he has also changed a lot, and some of the stuff he did was super cool, but compared to fripp, he dosent stand a chance to get my vote.

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 09:37
^I actually agree with everything you said, but I feel that Bowie rivals Fripp in innovation and quality - be that in a lyrical context. Fripp never had that, not that he needed to eitherLOL

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 09:44
Another thing they have in common, is the way they each have been able to listen to the musicians surrounding them and let them do their thing - include and use whatever is available. Step back and see what unfolds. That is something they've done most of their respectable careers - and many a times with the same musicians. Good ears on both of em.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 11:49
Fripp vs Bowie? LOL
Fripp is incomparable, so with all my love and respect for Bowie, I have to vote for the King.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 11:59
BTW Fripp without glasses looks a bit like Bowie. There was a great photo to illustrate my words but now I cannot find it Ermm

It was something like that:

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 12:42
ask Eno

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: Larree
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 12:56
They are both so different.  And both were so influential.  But Bowie's influence on "popular" music was immense.  So as much as I love Robert Fripp's music  Bowie wins hands down.

I was very lucky to get to see The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium.  That concert was a life changer.

Also, I found a great documentary about David Bowie's early years on Youtube.  Definitely worth watching.

-------------
http://larree.ws" rel="nofollow - The Larree (dot) Website

Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 12:58
Unlike with links, you don't have to erase the first www. with vidsWink

EDIT: NevermindLOL

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 13:00
Thanks!  Just learning!  Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 02:00
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^I actually agree with everything you said, but I feel that Bowie rivals Fripp in innovation and quality - be that in a lyrical context. Fripp never had that, not that he needed to eitherLOL

You got me, on the lyrical side, Bowie is a clear winner LOL

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 02:10
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

You got me, on the lyrical side, Bowie is a clear winner LOL
On a side note, i agree there is a connection, and i do LOVE Bowie a lot, he did very well in the 70's, his acting (in films and as a rock musicial) is outstanding, and he has this way of changing in unexpected ways.
And he also seems to be quite a nice person (i guess)

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 08:42
Fripp is a cut above.

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 11:21
Too easy - Fripp all day long. Genius!

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Posted By: MonsterMagnet
Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 15:17
Bowie is clearly deserving of merit but I prefer Fripp on many points

Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 15:19
^ What about the point of innovation (as it says in the question)?

Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 15:25

^ What about the point of innovation (as it says in the question)?

Poll Question: who is the biggest innovatour in rock, prog and music overall

When it comes to the question of  "music overall" Bowie still wins hands down even if Fripp is arguably more innovative.  IMHO!

-------------

Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 16:20
I honestly never thought about Bowie as an innovator. He walked whrough a lot of musical styles, he changed many appearances, but did he invented much? Nope. He was not a creator of glam rock, nor punk rock, nor anything else, — though 'The Man Who Sold the World' influenced goth rock and darkwave a lot, that's still not a big merit as there was a lot of other influences when those genres appeared, more contemporary for that time. So he's an excellent and versatile musician who had great influence on music as a person, but not really as innovator.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Prog-OrioN
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 09:09
One invented glam rock, but the other one had an important role in making the  first Prog Rock album. I respect Bowie very much, but i also believe that Fripp has always been an important character in Prog scene. so I'll choose Fripp

-------------
... And he's blind, and he's lame, and he's dirty and he's poor; Give him more...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk