Print Page | Close Window

Mastodon

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=91010
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 08:58
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mastodon
Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Subject: Mastodon
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 00:13
What do you guys think of Mastodon?

Replies:
Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 00:16
Crack The Skye is awesome.  The rest, not as much.  (Actually haven't heard Blood Mountain, though.)

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: HarbouringTheSoul
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 08:41
Kind of a hit-and-miss band with me. The songs they write in an epic vibe are usually really really good and I could easily listen to them for hours ("Sleeping Giant", This Mortal Soil", "Ghost of Karelia", "The Last Baron", "The Hunter", to name a few). Unfortunately, they do so much other stuff, a lot of which leaves me cold.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 13:48
Blood Mountain and on is great, peaking at CtS. Their thrash and much more harsh sound doesn't appeal whatsoever.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 21:15
Mastodon is fantastic

-------------

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 21:20
The Hunter may be one of my favorite albums of all time. Its amazingly awesome- and it NEVER gets old- ever. 

-------------

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 22:45
The Hunter kind of sucks IMO, rest of their albums are all really good.

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 06:42
I have really gotten into Crack the Skye and The Hunter. didn't think I'd like them-much heavier than anything else I usually listen to-but my brother told me to give them a try. He was right! Not crazy about the earlier stuff-too growly and thrashy for me.

Posted By: zumacraig
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 09:56
they are heavier than necessary.  they have potential to be HUGE.  i'm glad to see bands like them and coheed out there bringing in the crowds.  i just don't understand the love for loud harsh music...especially when it's so compressed on the CD.

incidentally, the bass player goes to my pool.  they are just regular dudes.  they fit in well because our neighborhood has lots of long haired guys, me included ;-)

IT'S JUST THE CURL OF THE BURL!!!!

-------------
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt

Posted By: dtguitarfan
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 16:30
Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

I have really gotten into Crack the Skye and The Hunter. didn't think I'd like them-much heavier than anything else I usually listen to-but my brother told me to give them a try. He was right! Not crazy about the earlier stuff-too growly and thrashy for me.

This, for me.  Crack the Skye has become one of my favorite albums for me, and I like The Hunter, but pretty much not into anything else by them.

-------------
http://tinyurl.com/cy43zzh" rel="nofollow - My 2012 List

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 16:33
I've only heard Crack the Sky. Love that one! Planning to explore their music further.

-------------

Posted By: Sumdeus
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 18:47
Never got the fuss. Their music has some nice moments but any of those are always ruined by terrible vocals

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 19:17
Mastodon has amazing vocalists. 

-------------

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 20:04
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Posted By: HarbouringTheSoul
Date Posted: December 14 2012 at 10:03
They're not talented in any traditional sense as vocalists, but they have very interesting timbres. I couldn't imagine their music with anyone else but Brent and Troy singing.

Date Posted: December 14 2012 at 10:17
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Headbanger

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 01:11
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

Never got the fuss. Their music has some nice moments but any of those are always ruined by terrible vocals

Like vocals are supposed to be that important with u there can't be a double standardLOLLOL

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 04:37
? what are you referring to?

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 05:23
Love them, though I don't care much for their debut Remission. Leviathan and Blood Mountain have got some amazing songs on there but a couple that I could do without, Crack the Skye is a pure masterpiece and The Hunter a strong follow up.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 06:15
Crack the Skye is absolutely fantastic, Leviathan and The Hunter are great too, but not that awesome. Blood Mountain is kinda too simplistic for me.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 23:48
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Crack the Skye is absolutely fantastic, Leviathan and The Hunter are great too, but not that awesome. Blood Mountain is kinda too simplistic for me.

Take a listen to Blood Mountain again? it's not simplistic,lolLOLLOL

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 17 2012 at 21:20

Music is most important in Prog so it really doesn't matter, take a looka Gordon Haskell he sounds high and terrible on "Lizard" but it doesn't matter does itLOLLOLLOL

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 17 2012 at 23:02
speaking of "high and terrible"

Date Posted: December 23 2012 at 23:45
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

speaking of "high and terrible"

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: ProgKev
Date Posted: December 24 2012 at 09:39
In my opinion, CTS is a prog masterpiece. It's fresh, it's catchy' it's innovative. Actually, best modern prog album, beside SLS by Riverside for me. But since I've heard " The Hunter " I do not consider them prog anymore. They dissapointed me a little bit with that LP because I knew that it might be hard to beat CTS. But the fact that they have gone for commercial rock songs is too much for me. I expected them to even go further with unique prog sound that they seemed to found. But well, you can't have everything. I will give them one last chance with a new album, approximately for 2013 release.

Cheers.

Date Posted: December 25 2012 at 19:31
Originally posted by ProgKev ProgKev wrote:

In my opinion, CTS is a prog masterpiece. It's fresh, it's catchy' it's innovative. Actually, best modern prog album, beside SLS by Riverside for me. But since I've heard " The Hunter " I do not consider them prog anymore. They dissapointed me a little bit with that LP because I knew that it might be hard to beat CTS. But the fact that they have gone for commercial rock songs is too much for me. I expected them to even go further with unique prog sound that they seemed to found. But well, you can't have everything. I will give them one last chance with a new album, approximately for 2013 release.

Cheers.

They probably will show up with another prog moden day masterpieceWinkWink

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 25 2012 at 19:36
Originally posted by ProgKev ProgKev wrote:

Cheers.

Just because they weren't prog rock songs doesn't make it a bad album, which it isn't. It's okay to change styles. 
Plus i'm not sure what you mean by giving them "one more chance", for what? If they don't make another progressive metal that blows your socks off you will ignore them as a band? 

-------------

Date Posted: December 25 2012 at 19:36
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Music is most important in Prog so it really doesn't matter, take a looka Gordon Haskell he sounds high and terrible on "Lizard" but it doesn't matter does itLOLLOLLOL

to me vocals are an element of music and just as important. I also have no problem with the vocals on Lizard.

-------------

Date Posted: December 25 2012 at 19:39

to me vocals are an element of music and just as important. I also have no problem with the vocals on Lizard.

Agreed.

-------------

Posted By: ProgKev
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 07:23
Of course that genre has nothing to do with individual overall album response. But " The Hunter " is full of modern- straight- to-face metal, with triggered,clinic sound that I hate. And that dissapointed me. It's to contemporary for me, it doesn't even contains any Sludge moments. What I meant by saying that I will give them one last chance ? You can see above. If they make another album like " The Hunter " then I am gonna focus only on their discography up to " Crack The Skye ". Because I don't want forcing myself to listen to something that is completely not in my taste.  You got it ?

-------------
My Last.FM, Feel free to invite me !    : www.last.fm/user/darkfuneral18

Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 14:45

ok sumdeus I have a major problem with Haskell he sounds like he's high and like Stewie Griffin from Family Guy

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 14:46

i don't want to think of Stewie singing for any rock band it sounds hideous in my opinion

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: goobie
Date Posted: January 01 2013 at 18:36
I think they are great. On their way to being one of the biggest names in metal / prog.

Posted By: progger7
Date Posted: January 01 2013 at 19:53
I mostly just like the drumming on Blood Mountain but overall it's my favorite album of theirs followed by crack the skye. The Hunter is just OK...

-------------

Posted By: Melomaniac
Date Posted: April 05 2013 at 08:30
Saw Mastodon twice in concert (Heavy MTL and on tour with Opeth), and even though they are obviously great musicians, I find their music blank and uninspired.  The concert they played with Opeth sounded like they played the same song over and over again ; at the very least the first five songs had exactly the same tempo (very poor choice of material in my opinion), it left me wanting for their gig to end ASAP. Highly overrated band, in my humble opinion.
Do I need to put my bulletproof vest and helmet on ?

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Posted By: charles_ryder
Date Posted: April 30 2014 at 03:25
Where is a prog in Mastodon albums? I didn't listen it at all. This band IMO playing modern metal.

-------------
om mani padme hum

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: April 30 2014 at 08:13
I like the drummer, AWESOME in fact. But although some of the stuff catches my ear, it doesn't stay caught for long....unfortunately...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 30 2014 at 09:24
amazing Mastodon yeah loads

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Date Posted: April 30 2014 at 10:30
Originally posted by charles_ryder charles_ryder wrote:

Where is a prog in Mastodon albums? I didn't listen it at all. This band IMO playing modern metal.

Crack the Skye is their most progressive album. Listen to it if you want their progressive metal material. 

-------------

Posted By: charles_ryder
Date Posted: May 26 2014 at 11:10
Yes, I changed my opinion: Crack the Skye is a worthy album. Thank you, Horizons!

-------------
om mani padme hum

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: May 30 2014 at 12:53
I seem to have the opposite opinion to most here. For my taste they went from being one of the best straight-up heavy metal bands in the world (first two albums and to some extent third album) to being a not very interesting progressive metal band (everything else).

This isn't because I prefer heavy music over progressive music. I just think they were outstanding at the former, not so much the latter.

Posted By: peart_lee_lifeson
Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 00:10
Mastodon is incredible.  Blood Mountain, Crack the Skye, and The Hunter are all freaking awesome, each in its own right.  I can't wait to hear their new album "Once More Around the Sun!!!"

-------------
PROG ON!!!

Posted By: Aldebaran_Well
Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 00:41
I think that they are a very,very good band.Not one bad album,Crack the skye perhaps their best but...not one absolute masterpiece yet.

-------------
Some men are hunting hawks,some men are busy bees,
some louder than a storm,others silent as the trees,
but we're all dressed up as one,noone stands out in the crowd,
We're strangers in this town.

Posted By: zafush
Date Posted: June 08 2014 at 15:48
Together with Baroness they added a sweet taste of simple guitar passages which can highlight all the energy . . . I like all their discography yet Crack the Skye is my favourite. 

Their new teaser for the upcoming album, Once More Round The Sun,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6zU87xJoBk" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6zU87xJoBk  has fascinated me already . . .

Posted By: TheLastBaron
Date Posted: June 13 2014 at 02:31
Huge fan. Remission is a mixed bag for me but everything after is incredible, really admire that they just keep pushing themselves to try different things. Top notch musicians all of them. They are easily one of the most important american metal bands right now, I really think people should give them a attentive listen and you'll hear the incredible craftsmanship in their arrangements, structures and progressions.

-------------
" Men are not prisoners of fate, but prisoners of their own minds." - FDR

Posted By: musitron
Date Posted: June 13 2014 at 14:19
They are... HEAVY !

-------------
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun

Posted By: crawlingchaos
Date Posted: June 19 2014 at 11:40
They have their moments and I like Blood and Thunder but overall I find them very dull. But I respect what they do and even moreso as they're one of the few bands in the mainstream-ish that's carrying the torch for progressive leaning music.

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: June 21 2014 at 14:29
Haven't heard them in ages. Crack The Skye is probably my favourite - even though I was never a fan, I last heard it when I didn't like stuff like Opeth (who I know love) so yeah! Tongue

Leviathan is also pretty awesome IMO. Heard that one quite recently Smile

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 24 2014 at 14:39
Listening to Crack The Skye at the moment. It certainly has that frenetic energy I crave and I don't mind the bit of pseudo growling going on.

Date Posted: June 24 2014 at 15:15
I bought "Once More ' Round the Sun" it is a strong album, heavy fantasy prog metal sound only Mastodon can make.but probably more layers to be discovered, i try to connect the song to the escapist cover art

-------------

Date Posted: June 24 2014 at 15:18
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Listening to Crack The Skye at the moment. It certainly has that frenetic energy I crave and I don't mind the bit of pseudo growling going on.
i recomend Call of the Mastodon, will make your chesthair dance.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 25 2014 at 01:12
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

i recomend Call of the Mastodon, will make your chesthair dance.

ta

I will probably get the latest release as my next purchase but then look at others such as the one you mention to beef up my collection a bit more.

Date Posted: June 25 2014 at 02:33
^^ Really good recording!!  I am happy with it Thumbs Up

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 20:10
Just chiming in with my 2 bobs worth here - I just got my hands on Leviathan and it whips Crack The Skye and Once More 'Round The Sun (the other 2 I have). A little bit Tech, a little bit Extreme, not really Prog (Skye is more so) and not as polished/commercial sounding. I love the brutal rawness of Leviathan. I copped a copy on pink vinyl and realised it has been released in all manner of colours. Amusing to hear the heaviness whilst a pink platter is spinning

Posted By: tbonson04
Date Posted: October 22 2015 at 21:47
Crack the Sky, The Hunter, and Once more Round the Sun are some of the best albums ever made. Supposed "real Mastodon fans" give the albums so much grief, but they are such great albums. 

Posted By: I Love Internet
Date Posted: December 11 2015 at 13:00
My first experience with Mastodon was Blood Mountain which is still my favorit. Crack the Sky is nice too, but the last 2 albums are imo pretty forgettable exept for a few songs. I actually like Curl of the Burl. Haven´t listened to the older stuff alot, since it has made such blank first impressions.

-------------
I like my eggs boiled and that´s it!

Posted By: Frosted Celt
Date Posted: December 11 2015 at 16:05
I really like all of Mastodon's albums from the very first release up to and including Once More Round The Sun. I thought that perhaps they might lose me as they became more accessible to the masses. Mastodon are however one of those few bands that lost none of their ability to retain the listeners Interest and entertain as they morphed into a more "commercialized sound" ...for lack of a better term....IMO.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: December 11 2015 at 17:13
funny.. I got into Mastodon via a band the old AR team found by chance and later added to the siteof a pre-Mastodon band featuring the amazing Brann Dailor.  I do enjoy their less commercial earlier albums. .still.. great group.

hmm... now I do need me some Gaylord..Clap

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: December 11 2015 at 22:51
Constant spinning of the few albums I have - Leviathan is the better for me.
Crack The Skye is very good, and Once More 'Round The Sun is strong too, though is somewhat 'mainstreamly' constructed in both sound, and composition. And they strike me as more 'metal' than tech or extreme, though they display a nice dose of that here and there. Pretty impressive either way.

Posted By: sokorny
Date Posted: May 31 2016 at 00:44
Leivathan and Crack the Skye are my two favourite albums by Mastodon. Leviathan may be heavy (it is a concept album about Moby Dick) and not a "true" prog metal album in my opinion. But nonetheless is a killer album (I like a variety of metal though).

Crack the Skye was really the start of their exploration of prog music. Their last albums have had elements of prog rock (more so than metal) in them.

Crack the Skye continues to be on high rotation for me.

Their live album was absolutely terrible ... their vocals were a huge fail on that album (haven't seen them live so not sure if it was a one off, the recording or they can't replicate their sound live).

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk