Print Page | Close Window

Is Robert Fripp Overrated?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=91016
Printed Date: March 19 2024 at 00:50
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Is Robert Fripp Overrated?
Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Subject: Is Robert Fripp Overrated?
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 01:52
Yes or No?

Replies:
Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 02:02
10/10 would read again

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 03:44
I don't know if Confused or Shocked or Ouch or Dead or Angry

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 03:50
Yes... there is this mysterious cloud of justice, and it sais Robert Fripp is actually a bit overrated...

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 04:13
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

10/10 would read again

What does that mean??

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: renaudbb
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 04:17
Are "Red", "In the Court" or "Lizard" overrated ? 
In addition, Fripp's influence on modern music is far beyond the progressive circle. 
This question is a nonsense for me.

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 04:19
Originally posted by renaudbb renaudbb wrote:

In addition, Fripp's influence on modern music is far beyond the progressive circle. 

I'll answer those for you since I study this sh*t. In The Court is, Lizard is, and Red is not.How about thatShockedShocked

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 04:22

Indeed, in fact I would say he is arguably underated. I suspect many young folk listen to music that he has greatly influenced without even knowing who he was. I suspect this may have also been the case in the later half of the 70's. His name pops up all over the place; in relation to all manner of artists including Daryl Hall, David Bowie, The Orb, Future Sound of London..That pr!ck Kanye West even sampled KC.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 04:56
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

I'll answer those for you since I study this sh*t.

LOL Now this is funny.

Posted By: farebi_jalebi
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 05:09
NOOOOO Shocked

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 05:21
RF is terrible underrated, in the about 40 years I have known about him, have hardly seen anything about him outside strictly prog circles, compared to almost anyone in (Rock) music, he is in the shades.

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 06:39
Rated just right.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Anthony
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 07:01

That's only three albums out of the many. In totality, yes, Fripp is terribly overrated. How can anyone believe that King Crimson is better than other bands when half of the time it has been disbanded? And then I'm not even talking about the lack of melodies.

-------------
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 08:22
That's a silly question, how can be one of the founders of Prog Rock overrated?Confused It's similar as if you were asking whether Mozart, Bach or perhaps Louis Armstrong are overrated...

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 08:28
He's not my favorite but is not overrated---I get his importance and influence in prog.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 08:31
Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

In totality, yes, Fripp is terribly overrated. How can anyone believe that King Crimson is better than other bands when half of the time it has been disbanded? And then I'm not even talking about the lack of melodies.
That's precisely one of Fripp's important contributions to rock music, showing that there is more to rock music than just melody, which has been the only concern of much rock music for a long time (of course he is not the only one but has been a key player in this).

As for KC's discontinuity, who cares? better to take a break or reform than releasing poor stuff.

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 08:56
No, but Robert's rate is over-fripped. 

Posted By: snowsnow
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 09:07
Never quite understood the love of Fripp/king Crimson.

IMHO - Yes, Genesis, Floyd,Tull, Camel, Caravan, VDGG, Rush etc blow them out of the water.

But I appreciate that they are well respected here- just not my thing.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 09:11
yep

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 10:02

Yes or No?

Yes

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 10:14
Not at all. One of the best and most influential.  

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 11:04
Absolutely not.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: DiamondDog
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 11:44
as a guitarist - No. But his many incarnations (misleadingly labeled with the jar called King Crimson) definitely are often over-rated because of his history. Always interesting, but eccentric and eclectic, not to say downright idiosyncratic.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 11:57

No, he is absolutely not overrated. In the prog community I think many of us understand his monumental contributions to music.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 13:25
I think he's very overrated as a guitarist - his playing does nothing for me at all. And I really don't find King Crimson at all to my taste either.

So for me, yes, he is.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 13:27
Originally posted by snowsnow snowsnow wrote:

IMHO - Yes, Genesis, Floyd,Tull, Camel, Caravan, VDGG, Rush etc blow them out of the water.

But I appreciate that they are well respected here- just not my thing.

I agree 100% with everything you say except VDGG.

-------------

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 13:40
no

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 14:19
For me as a solo artist he is, but as the leader of KC no way!!

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 14:42

Is Robert Fripp Overrated?
You are are a prog metallurgist, and you are posting on the prog forum about a prog legend. You figure it out.
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

For me as a solo artist he is, but as the leader of KC no way!!
When did Robert ever get big-time woahs as a solo artist? Confused

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 15:16
The fact that you're not his fan doesn't implicate that he is overrated. Lower your ego.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bequeathed" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 16:00
Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

The fact that you're not his fan doesn't implicate that he is overrated. Lower your ego.

The exact reverse logic also applies.

-------------

Posted By: Sumdeus
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 16:04

How can anyone believe that King Crimson is better than other bands when half of the time it has been disbanded? And then I'm not even talking about the lack of melodies.

quality > quantity. KC could've stopped making all music after Red and I would still be here saying that KC made some of the best prog and Robert Fripp is highly underrated

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Posted By: Waiting Man
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 16:10
Are you kidding me? Wich instrument do you play? The triangle? Maybe a pot full of rice?

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 16:12
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

That pr!ck Kanye West even sampled KC.

Don't Sl*g West's music (although his personality's fair game :-); it's what I've mainly been listening to the past few months. I lost interest in hip-hop years a go, but his music's reeled me back in. It made sense for him to sample "Schizoid Man" on MY BEAUTIFUL DARK TWISTED FANTASY, since that whole album is a kind of prog rap album in a way (there's even a guitar solo, and other extended sequences). He's been trying to open up hip-hop's influences even wider, and succeeding...

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 16:12
Sl*g is a forbidden word? sl*g. really? wow.

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 16:18
Originally posted by Waiting Man Waiting Man wrote:

Are you kidding me? Wich instrument do you play? The triangle? Maybe a pot full of rice?

is this referring to me?

also sorry to do this dude^ but as an avid hip-hop fan I have to say I hate Kanye West and his music. There's a lot of hip-hop musicians who experiment and push boundaries and try new things and innovate. West is not one of them.

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Posted By: Alitare
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 16:19
I don't know what I dislike more - Kanye West sampling King Crimson or Kanye West sampling Ray Charles.

Hold up, is Robbie Frippo over-rated? Naw, he's rated. He's probably going to convert to Islam and endorse a breakfast cereal. I do love Red.

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 16:23
Fair enough. I'm not an avid hip-hop fan. I'm very selective with what I like: De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Beastie Boys, a lot of French rap (IAM, NTM, Saian Supa Crew, Fonky Family, MC Solaar, et al), Wu Tang Clan, and British stuff like Massive Attack, Tricky - and stuff like Madlib and DJ Shadow... Like I said, for the most part I lost interest in rap for over a decade, till Kanye.

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 16:26
k well as long as this topic has come up i'd like to quickly recc three awesome albums that i think are hip-hop works. experimental and unique, and quite progressive/psychedelic to certain extents

Madvillain - Madvillainy
Eyedea - The Many Faces Of Oliver Hart
Edan - Beauty And The Beat

these are the records that pop into my head when i think of hip-hop really pushing boundaries and doing something unprecedented in teh genre

-------------

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 16:27
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

I don't know what I dislike more - Kanye West sampling King Crimson or Kanye West sampling Ray Charles.

Hold up, is Robbie Frippo over-rated? Naw, he's rated. He's probably going to convert to Islam and endorse a breakfast cereal. I do love Red.
LOLLOLLOL Today is simply legen-wait for it ...

... wait. ... What was I saying?

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 16:27
Alitaire.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 16:29
Originally posted by Waiting Man Waiting Man wrote:

I've seen that video of Scott preparing his album Bish Bosch. Some guy was playing a bowl of marbles.

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 16:31

How can anyone believe that King Crimson is better than other bands when half of the time it has been disbanded?
Yeah. ... I forgot that's supposed to matter and affect the quality of the band's music. Confused

And then I'm not even talking about the lack of melodies.
Confused ... aye? Stern Smile

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 16:34
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

k well as long as this topic has come up i'd like to quickly recc three awesome albums that i think are hip-hop works. experimental and unique, and quite progressive/psychedelic to certain extents

Madvillain - Madvillainy
Eyedea - The Many Faces Of Oliver Hart
Edan - Beauty And The Beat

these are the records that pop into my head when i think of hip-hop really pushing boundaries and doing something unprecedented in teh genre

Cool. I love that Madvillain cd, i'll check the other two out!  :-)

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 16:56
Definitely NOT overrated. Underrated.

However, I still want my money back for that No Pussyfooting album I was enough of a sucker to buy. Anyone else got that one in their collection?   

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 16:59
^ Is it on a CD? How much did it cost?

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 17:02
Love me some pussyfooting.
Great for watching fish or drinking beers out on the balcony

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 17:08
no Tongue

I'd rather be pussy licking than pussy footing...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 17:10
Dead ... Cop kill a creep ... pow-pow-pow.

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 17:12
yeah Fripp's solo albums never really clicked with me. Fripp & Eno, on the other hand though....

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 17:16
No.

And this should be in a different section...

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 17:38
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ Is it on a CD? How much did it cost?

I got it on vinyl. Nothing but a Fripp and Eno science experiment on Frippertronics. I like Frippertronics, but sheesh! Just the same loop going around and around and around and around and around (and around...). Somewhere on the second side things mercifully got a little out of phase at last so that something musical could happen.

I'll have to look around for the receipt.

In spite of this, I'm with those who think that Fripp is NOT overrated.

Posted By: Anthony
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:00

How can anyone believe that King Crimson is better than other bands when half of the time it has been disbanded?
Yeah. ... I forgot that's supposed to matter and affect the quality of the band's music. Confused

No, that does not affect the quality of the music. I just find it ridiculous that a band who makes, say two or three great albums and then does nothing for over ten years is considered to be better than a band who makes ten masterpieces without having to split up (I don't mean a certain band in particular, just giving an example)
And mind you, it's not that I hate KC or Fripp, (I've got all KC albums), and they're good, but imo not as great as some think. 

-------------
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:13

No, that does not affect the quality of the music. I just find it ridiculous that a band who makes, say two or three great albums and then does nothing for over ten years is considered to be better than a band who makes ten masterpieces without having to split up (I don't mean a certain band in particular, just giving an example).

And mind you, it's not that I hate KC or Fripp, (I've got all KC albums), and they're good, but imo not as great as some think. 
Luckily, that has never happened, so that example does not suit the KC-vs.-Rush case. Of course, this is just a hypothetical example, as you've pointed out. Disbanding does not mean anything. A band that would do nothing for ten years could make more masterworks than a band that has never broken up.

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:13
A while ago I talked myself into buying A Scarcity of Miracles (mostly because of Mr. Harrison, who played on it). I tell you, Mr. Fripp for real gone fishing like nobody's business. When you have run out of things to say, it's more classy to disband and remain silent. 

Posted By: Alitare
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:26
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

A while ago I talked myself into buying A Scarcity of Miracles (mostly because of Mr. Harrison, who played on it). I tell you, Mr. Fripp for real gone fishing like nobody's business. When you have run out of things to say, it's more classy to disband and remain silent. 

My heart agrees with ever bit of what you said.

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:27
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

My heart agrees with ever bit of what you said.
+1. 

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:46

No, that does not affect the quality of the music. I just find it ridiculous that a band who makes, say two or three great albums and then does nothing for over ten years is considered to be better than a band who makes ten masterpieces without having to split up (I don't mean a certain band in particular, just giving an example).

Luckily, that has never happened, so that example does not suit the KC-vs.-Rush case. Of course, this is just a hypothetical example, as you've pointed out. Disbanding does not mean anything. A band that would do nothing for ten years could make more masterworks than a band that has never broken up.

Yeah, I cannot think of any prog rock band that never broke up (or otherwise) and made 10 MASTERPIECES.   Very good albums, sure, but KC also did so, they are NOT just about the two or three that are frequently talked about.  What's wrong with Poseidon, what's wrong with Power to Believe?

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:50
does anybody know the deal with Poseidon? I've always wondered what was up with it, it's like literally a variation on In The Court...

-------------

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:51
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Yeah. ... I forgot that's supposed to matter and affect the quality of the band's music.

Yeah, I cannot think of any prog rock band that never broke up (or otherwise) and made 10 MASTERPIECES.   Very good albums, sure, but KC also did so, they are NOT just about the two or three that are frequently talked about.  What's wrong with Poseidon, what's wrong with Power to Believe?
Well, this is now a whole different matter - who likes what.

does anybody know the deal with Poseidon? I've always wondered what was up with it, it's like literally a variation on In The Court...
That's one of the reasons why I don't like it, but I don't absolutely hate it.

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 00:01

Agree but it's still a great album, great music.

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 00:11
Robert Fripp is over-rated on PA. Otherwise, if you asked your neighbor this question, they'd be like, "Robert who?"

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 00:31
LOL

Posted By: HarbouringTheSoul
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 02:43

What's wrong with Poseidon

I never understood the deal with "The Devil's Triangle". Am I missing something or is it literally ten minutes of a mellotron making noise over a bolero rhythm?

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 04:50
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

ten minutes of a mellotron making noise over a bolero rhythm?

Now  that's what I call Prog

-------------

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 05:24
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

LOL Now this is funny.

I'm a music student and I study Prog Rock don't see how that's amusing to u

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 05:38

Man, this is like a breath of fresh air: some folks will pussyfoot around the subject, calling the stuff they don't like "overrated", "overhyped", "overpromoted" ... and you just tell it like it is Big smile   

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 05:57
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Robert Fripp is over-rated on PA. Otherwise, if you asked your neighbor this question, they'd be like, "Robert who?"

Choose your neighbors wisely, lest they embarrass you with their ignorance and lack of couth

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 08:07

Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

LOL Now this is funny.
I'm a music student and I study Prog Rock don't see how that's amusing to u
Where did this argument come from? Answer what?

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 08:38
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Definitely NOT overrated. Underrated.

However, I still want my money back for that No Pussyfooting album I was enough of a sucker to buy. Anyone else got that one in their collection?   
O Ya, a classic in ambient, not the album I listen to once a week, but i love it, when in that mood. 

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 08:44
If i had to pick anything Robert, that i have regets about paying for, its : 
TOYAH AND FRIPP : THE LADY OR THE TIGER?

Otherwise everything i have got (and that is a lot) I enjoy.

-------------

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 12:26
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

What's wrong with Poseidon
I never understood the deal with "The Devil's Triangle". Am I missing something or is it literally ten minutes of a mellotron making noise over a bolero rhythm?
Blame Gustav Hölst for that.

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 14:04
Oh yeah, all the press Fripp gets, all the TV appearances, all the number one hits.........that dude is SO overrated.  Wait.......who are we talking about?

Obviously, if anything, Fripp is highly underrated considering his impact and influence on our tiny little prog world.  However, lest we forget, he had a bit wider influence on the new wave scene in NYC back in the 80's.  Maybe not obvious since Fripp doesn't seem much interested in trumpeting his influence and skill around.  As a musician there is no doubt of his skill and innovation where the guitar is concerned.

Having said all that, "overrated", "underrated" are purely subjective terms and are basically meaningless since you either like his music or you don't.  In either case there is no argument someone can make to change your mind.  Besides that, he has never been praised around here as much as Yes or Genesis, let alone Porcupine Tree or Dream Theater (as just a couple examples).

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 14:29
^ What if we focus just on the prog realm, is he really "overrated" (or whatever) within its bounds? But, I guess, you've already answered that question.

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 18:29
It depends on what you mean by "-rated." Is he as good as the prog community says he is? I don't think he is. Is he appreciated by as many people as he should be appreciated by? No, absolutely not.

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 18:33
^ Do you think he is better than the prog community says he is, or worse? Do you think he should be appreciated by more people or less people?

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 19:26
As a guitarist, but the band he's apart of and the composing skills aren't whatsoever. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 23:30

I'll answer those for you since I study this sh*t. In The Court is, Lizard is, and Red is not.How about thatShockedShocked

That's what they taught you? That's settles it then, why didn't you said so in the first place?
Thanks everyone for participating, the ones who answered Yes are correct!! Sorry he's overrated and those albums too.

Rush aren't though.

Oh and Genesis too.

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 23:38

I study this s$&t too, and yet I don't think they are.

Posted By: Loren
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 23:39
I'm not the biggest Fripp fan, but he does stand out to me as a guitarist. He has a very unique style and he is always trying something new. On top of that, have you ever listened to Fracture? That song makes my wrist hurt just listening to it.

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: December 14 2012 at 00:12

^ Do you think he is better than the prog community says he is, or worse? Do you think he should be appreciated by more people or less people?
He isn't as great as the prog community says he is, but he is great and does deserve some attention from more people than he does.

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: December 14 2012 at 00:26
No, at least, not in my opinion. His work on "Fracture" and the the first side of the Brian Eno collab Evening Star are enough to put him in my list of great guitarists.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Date Posted: December 14 2012 at 00:45
He is an excellent guitar player and overall a great musician. You can see how he was evolving and progressing through the years and always trying to come up with something new, musically and as a guitar player.

Overrated? Outside the prog circle? Definitely underrated or better to say unknown.
Inside the prog circle, he is where he should be. Rated just fine.

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: December 14 2012 at 01:08
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Rated just right.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 15 2012 at 13:40
I'll answer those for you since I study this sh*t. In The Court is, Lizard is, and Red is not. ...

Like every artist, there are good things and bad things ... everyone nowadays accepts Picasso, as a master and an artist, but every professor out there would say that the blue and the rose periods are crap work that most kids can do when they are learning to paint! ... Likewise, we can say that this or that of Robert's work is really good, and some other parts of it ... rather forgettable.

All in all, when you look at the historty of his work, he is not over-rated, despite some quotes and comments that make his thinking sound boring at times, but then, he does what he does and it seems that it is just different than what he thinks.

My question, is, if you think that someone is over-rated or not, do you also accept that your question is over-rated and out of line, and even silly?

From our perspective in this board, "over rated" would be a band that is getting accolades and has only a bunch of songs to show for their work, or what a professor would consider ... sub-par material ... to show for its work ... thus, I tend to look at a person as an artist, rather than anything else.

In the case of Robert's, it would be grossly sad and unfair, to not give him the credit he deserves, when a lot of the things he did, were done because of how he felt, however difficult it might be to hide his ideas and opinions, his guitar ALWAYS spoke more than his words or voice! And to me, that is where the artistry lies ... and a place in his mind that he does not want anyone else to be in other than Eno or a few folks that he trusts and works with. A place, that many of us does not like, or accept very much ... because it doesn't sell, or is not listed in our board as a "hit" or a top dog for bs comments!

If the Top 100 was an artist list, instead of something else, Robert would be there in the top ten, even separated from King Crimson.

You wish, you had a life that rich, and could create that much music and work ... and let it all go to waste. Sure you would!

in the end, the scales have a way of coming around ... someone like him will be remembered for a long time ... a lot more than our comments and idiocies!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: December 15 2012 at 13:47
In  what way is  Lizard a copy of Court? Lizard is unique.

-------------

Date Posted: December 15 2012 at 14:20
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

... do you also accept that your question is over-rated and out of line, and even silly?
How can a question be overrated? It doesn't get any hype or anything.

Date Posted: December 15 2012 at 19:55
Thank uTongueTongue

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: zumacraig
Date Posted: December 15 2012 at 20:17
Yes!

-------------
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt

Date Posted: December 15 2012 at 20:50

Thank uTongueTongue
Cut him some slack, PM2112. There are times when Pedro won't make sense, but he is struggling.

Posted By: Aquiring the Taste
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 03:28
No

-------------
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.
    Oscar Wilde, De Profundis, 1905

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 08:45
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I think he means Poseidon which does share a lots of themes with Court though is still an excellent album.  Lizard is a unique album in KC's catalog.

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 09:04
He is rather underestimated.
Is he as praised as Santana, Jimi Hendrix or Joe Satriani in the media ? No, but he has a style of his own and influenced a hord of artists, not only in prog circles.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 10:08
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I think he means Poseidon which does share a lots of themes with Court though is still an excellent album.  Lizard is a unique album in KC's catalog.

I wonder sometimes if people who make unorthodox comments/comparisons have had a chance to listen to the albums in question - listen as in "recently, fully and without vacuum cleaner (or chainsaw) on". This has happened to myself a few times - had a listen once or twice (or long ago), don't even remember the title, the year or the album art, easy to confuse with something else. 

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 10:44
I would reckon not. Smile

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 23:49
Everyone this is just a topic of discussion it's not for you to get asshurt about 

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 23:57
^ Where was anyone on the thread getting ass-hurt?

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: December 17 2012 at 08:06

^ What if we focus just on the prog realm, is he really "overrated" (or whatever) within its bounds? But, I guess, you've already answered that question.

Well, making the (big) assumption that "overrated" refers to how much praise he gets in prog circles, I'd say, no he's not.  He gets the prise he deserves, while still leaving a lot of proggers scratching their heads because they don't "get it".  It all comes down to personal feelings, in the end.  As I said before, there is no question of his skill and innovation on the guitar.  Whether or not one enjoys that or feels it has contributed anything to the "advancement" of prog as a genre is totally subjective.

Date Posted: December 17 2012 at 09:07

Everyone this is just a topic of discussion it's not for you to get Censoredabout 

Do you have to use such foul imagery?

-------------

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: December 17 2012 at 09:10

Fripp is not over-rated.

Prog metal, for the most part, is.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk