-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 17:28
Edge

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Phasetek
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 17:35
Close to The Edge... just an amzing album!

Posted By: Chozal
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 17:41
Although I prefer KC's sound especially around the Red era, CTTE has not a single weak moment, one of the very few albums that shines through every moment.

Red has Providence.

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Infinite-Progability-Drive/141225469388975" rel="nofollow - The Infinite Progability Drive , feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 17:42
Red by miles.

Just an observation, no offense: it seems you're comparing KC to everything out there wanting it to lose against something. I'm not sure if that's... really mature. Definitely not trying to start a fight or something.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bequeathed" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 17:43
Red is great, CttE is a masterpiece

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 17:44
Originally posted by Chozal Chozal wrote:

Although I prefer KC's sound especially around the Red era, CTTE has not a single weak moment, one of the very few albums that shines through every moment.

Red has Providence.

I like Providence better than any track on Close to the Edge. And I love Close to the Edge (not as the others do, but I appreciate it).

-------------

Posted By: Anthony
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 17:49
When I hear Close to the edge - I get up
When I hear Red - I get down

-------------
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 17:50
Never thought I'd heard that in a lifetime Oo Actually never thought anyone could love this track (or The Mincer, for example, which kinda has imo the same status as Providence on a different album, that of a half-failed experimentation (to my ears) )

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Infinite-Progability-Drive/141225469388975" rel="nofollow - The Infinite Progability Drive , feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 17:54
Close to the Edge. Not the best album of all time, but excellent

Red ain't to my taste at all.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Mr. Maestro
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 17:55
Red, if only because it contains "Starless."

-------------
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 17:58
Red has its flaws, as most KC albums do. CTTE knows no flaws.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:13
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

"one might even argue that not until Larks' Tongues In Aspic did Fripp find the stable formula for the band that would finally set it in a definite and unique niche of its own"

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:21
^ This is just an opinion of one stupid-ass Russian who gave King Crimson 2 points out of 5 for the emotional resonance ... Faust 1 out of 5 for the resonance as well. I got some things to hang on that motherf$%ker.

CTTE
is done in a very creative, crazy, free fashion. Red, on the other hand, is more focused on songwriting, not as ambitious, and it's got that brand new kind of slick production. One of the Crims' best efforts due to a greater focus on the melody.

That said, it's a tie, as far as "which album is the best of these two" goes.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:22
I would disagree. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:24
... about ... ?

Posted By: Anthony
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:27
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ This is just an opinion of one stupid-ass Russian who gave King Crimson 2 points out of 5 for the emotional resonance ... Faust 1 out of 5 for the resonance as well. I got some things to hang on that motherf$%ker.

Just like you calling someone a stupid-ass and a MF is just your opinion and not a fact. You should become a politician in Russia, so you can send everyone who does not agree with you to Siberia. (I heard they've got some good Khatrus over there.)

-------------
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:28

... about ... ?

My post seems strange seeing you posted just as i did. My post was referring to Prog2112 statement pertaining to KC.

-------------

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:30
^ I figured. Big smile
Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

You should become a politician in Russia, so you can send everyone who does not agree with you to Siberia. (I heard they've got some good Khatrus over there.)
I'm not sure if we still do that. Big smile

Just like you calling someone a stupid-ass and a MF is just your opinion and not a fact.
Why, of course.

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:31

CTTE
is done in a very creative, crazy, free fashion. Red, on the other hand, is more focused on songwriting, not as ambitious, and it's got that brand new kind of slick production. One of the Crims' best efforts due to a greater focus on the melody.

Calm down, many people have their opinion and you don't seem to respect it, there cannot be a double standard

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:32
gimme red

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:34
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

CTTE is done in a very creative, crazy, free fashion. Red, on the other hand, is more focused on songwriting, not as ambitious, and it's got that brand new kind of slick production. One of the Crims' best efforts due to a greater focus on the melody.

Calm down, many people have their opinion and you don't seem to respect it, there cannot be a double standard
I'm calm ... kind of. I just find that guy to be really biased in his judgments, and that can tick me off a little. I respect opinions, not the people. Wink ... people who trample other people's opinions. I remember that guy going hard on Nick Drake's Pink Moon to some unnecessary levels.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:35
CTTE is note perfect but to me it almost completely lacks any human warmth, melancholy, pain or anger, emotions that the Red album brings out well.  CTTE is also a bit too pretty and conservative in its approach for me to rate it over Red (not that I dislike it, it's a great album too).  

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:41

When I hear Close to the edge - I get up
When I hear Red - I get down

Exactly, and I like to get up more.Cool

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:53
Red by a wide margin.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 19:10

"one might even argue that not until Larks' Tongues In Aspic did Fripp find the stable formula for the band that would finally set it in a definite and unique niche of its own"

As far as consistent sound, yes I agree; the Bruford/Wetton era was the first to have more than one album with a core line-up. But even the best KC albums always have something where I could say, "If it wasn't for _____, this album would be a perfect masterpiece." "The Power To Believe" might be their only album that I would call it a masterpiece, and flawless, now that I think about it.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 19:11

As far as consistent sound, yes I agree; the Bruford/Wetton era was the first to have more than one album with a core line-up. But even the best KC albums always have something where I could say, "If it wasn't for _____, this album would be a perfect masterpiece." "The Power To Believe" might be their only album that I would call it a masterpiece, and flawless, now that I think about it.

Such a brave comment and/or statement. I just want people to double think their judgements

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 19:17

Such a brave comment and/or statement. I just want people to double think their judgements

I agree with  you wholeheartedly. KC never did an album which outshone all the other ones - every disc of the Crimsonian corpus seems to contain the different pieces of their greatness, but you need more than one to fully grasp it.

-------------

Posted By: kevin4peace
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 19:17

Red has Providence.

^This

-------------
Nothing to say here. Nothing at all. Nothing is easy.

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 19:19

CTTE knows no flaws.

LOL

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 19:25
Love them both in their own special ways.  :)  But over the years I favor Red.  Big smile

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 19:57
Both are great albums, but Yes' edges out Red for me.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 20:14
I'll vote and my vote goes to Close To The Edge what are KC trying to do in Providence, I don't get it not another instrumental experiment,jeeshShockedShocked

COMPOSITION>IMPROVISATION

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Sumdeus
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 20:15

you don't listen to much Grateful Dead, do you?

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 20:16
Nobody listens to the Grateful Dead.

-------------

Posted By: Mr. Maestro
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 20:17
I feel like a weirdo.  Am I the only person in the world who thinks "Providence" is brilliant?

-------------
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 20:19
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

-------------

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 20:22

I'll vote and my vote goes to Close To The Edge what are KC trying to do in Providence, I don't get it not another instrumental experiment,jeeshShockedShocked

Yeah, and Kenny G is better than Sonny Rollins.   Besides, Providence is not all there's to Red, not nearly.  

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 20:23
Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

Although I prefer KC's sound especially around the Red era, CTTE has not a single weak moment, one of the very few albums that shines through every moment.Red has Providence.

I like Providence better than any track on Close to the Edge. And I love Close to the Edge (not as the others do, but I appreciate it).

I dislike Providence more than anything on either album. And the only song from Red I like more than the song I like the least from CttE is Starless (though I would be hard pressed to say which I like best, CttE, And You And I, or Starless itself). However, in the end I vote CttE, indeed it's great from beginning to end.

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 20:25
Originally posted by Mr. Maestro Mr. Maestro wrote:

I feel like a weirdo.  Am I the only person in the world who thinks "Providence" is brilliant?

m I the only one who thinks One More Red Nightmare is brillliant? People always talk about the title track and Starless (which is admittedly amazing) but I never hear much talk about that one. It's one of my all time favorite Crimson tracks.

-------------

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 20:27
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Although I prefer KC's sound especially around the Red era, CTTE has not a single weak moment, one of the very few albums that shines through every moment.Red has Providence.
I dislike Providence more than anything on either album. And the only song from Red I like more than the song I like the least from CttE is Starless (though I would be hard pressed to say which I like best, CttE, And You And I, or Starless itself). However, in the end I vote CttE, indeed it's great from beginning to end.
Oh, my god. Who hates what and takes what over what. I won't remember this much information.

Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 20:40

m I the only one who thinks One More Red Nightmare is brillliant? People always talk about the title track and Starless (which is admittedly amazing) but I never hear much talk about that one. It's one of my all time favorite Crimson tracks.

One More Red Nightmare is the most played track on the album. Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 20:43
Close To The Edge

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 21:27
Close to the Edge.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: December 12 2012 at 22:05
Close to the Edge, though Red is very close. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 00:17

Agreed.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 00:41
Red is one of the best Crimson's albums. CTTE is one of the best albums at all.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 01:51
Red

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 01:54
Live versions of CttE would beat Red. But otherwise I prefer Red. Yes is just to sterile in the studio.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 02:10

:(

still, i think it is simply ridiculous to say "composition>improvisation". imo the best compositions usually involve improvisation to a certain degree, and I also like a lot of music that is composed through improvisation itself...

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Posted By: HarbouringTheSoul
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 02:38
Close to the Edge is the only album I know of where I would not change a thing if I could. The only track on Red that reaches the same level of perennial awesomeness is "Starless". There are other good tracks on it, but I always found it a bit inconsistent.

Not one of my favorite Crimson tracks, but I do think it's great. The lyrics are pretty awkward though.

Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

still, i think it is simply ridiculous to say "composition>improvisation". imo the best compositions usually involve improvisation to a certain degree, and I also like a lot of music that is composed through improvisation itself...

I agree that it's an over-generalization to say that composition is always better than improvisation, but especially in the case of King Crimson I usually find their completely improvised pieces much less interesting than the ones that involve some kind of composition. I'd go as far as saying that "We'll Let You Know" and "Starless and Bible Black" kinda stink ("Providence" is better). On the other hand, LTIA1 is one of my favorite King Crimson tracks, even though it involves a large amount of improvisation. But what sets it apart is that this is planned improvisation. It revolves around a set of pre-composed themes and it's clearly structured.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 02:47
Red is one of the better KC albums, but this is no contest. Close to the Edge.

-------------

Posted By: DiamondDog
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 03:08
Yes - Close to the Edge; can't see Red in the same equation

Posted By: antonyus
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 03:41
edge

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 07:27
There's no disputing the brilliance of CTTE but I probably enjoy Red a little more.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Alitare
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 08:11
I do prefer to listen to Red. That one is like getting hit in the head with a brick over and over musically - only with cool riffs and melodies and jazzy excursions between the mashed flesh and bleeding orifices.

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 09:03
KC

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 09:17
My finger moved so fast to click the bottom one that I pulled an index finger muscle.......

-------------

Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 10:30

Mine too.  Maybe if there was no title track, I'd still take Red over CTTE for this one.  Incredible work from both Bruford and McDonald, especially.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 11:02
Close to the Edge  

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 17:44
This is the first X vs Y poll in which I'm wan't immediately certain who to vote for (and wish there were Both/Neither button). 

Both are the pinnacle creation by the apex "prog" bands of the early '70s. If the victory were to be awarded by meticulous counting the points scored in different categories, I'd probably have to go for CTTE. But since Red is a little more ground-breaking, after much deliberation, the vote goes to ...

RED

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: December 13 2012 at 18:36
Close... to... the... Edge...

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: December 14 2012 at 16:36
Red.

What's wrong with Providence? Better than most of the tracks, improvs or not, on SaBB, IMO.

-------------

Posted By: QuestionableScum
Date Posted: December 14 2012 at 17:24
I much prefer Red.

Date Posted: December 14 2012 at 17:48
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Red.

What's wrong with Providence? Better than most of the tracks, improvs or not, on SaBB, IMO.
Providence > Red (title track)

-------------

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: December 14 2012 at 18:05
"Providence" is the "Moonchild" of the album.  The elongated drivel that keeps me from handing the album five stars.

Funny story:  I was leaving the parking lot from the school where I teach, having forgotten that Red was live in the CD player.  All of a sudden I heard this violin.  I had no AC in the car, so the windows were down.  My eyes flew all over campus trying to discern the location of that strange violin that sounded so close. 

Eventually, I realized I am dumb.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: December 15 2012 at 04:32
am I the only one that loves Moonchild?

-------------

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: December 15 2012 at 09:13
No your not. We are actually a small group of weird people.Cool

Red.

Yes it is. And I dare say it's my favorite track on Red!

Date Posted: December 15 2012 at 09:21

Nobody is the only one.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 02:51
Probably the two best prog albums ever made. I have to vote CTTE but Red beats just about everything else.

Posted By: Aquiring the Taste
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 03:11

No

-------------
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.
    Oscar Wilde, De Profundis, 1905

Posted By: paganinio
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 04:20
Red is the stronger style (heavy prog).

Close is the stronger album.

Combine these two and you get the ultimate.

-------------

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: December 17 2012 at 06:26
Close to the edge.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: December 17 2012 at 06:37
Very tough call but I had to vote for CTTE, a (prog) textbook example of a flawless album.

Date Posted: December 17 2012 at 21:39

How about this
COMPLEX Composition>Improvisation

That's what I iniltially meant, f**kAngryAngry

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 18 2012 at 00:42
^ What are you, having a menopause?! Take a chill pill, Mrs. Paffnuccio! Stern Smile

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: December 18 2012 at 01:36
Red, if only for "Starless" alone. Never has the end of the world sounded more beautiful than that one track.

For the record, I like "Providence". Yes, it's the weakest track on the album, but even that's a keeper.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: December 18 2012 at 04:48
nowadays it's probably Red, but CttE had extremely huge impact to me when it was released and it still is one of my life's big albums. CttE got my vote ...

Date Posted: December 18 2012 at 09:14

How about this

And improvisation cannot be complex?   Should I seriously choose a set of, say, Spocks Beard over Barbara Dennerlein or Bela Fleck?  Why on earth?  Apart from all this, complexity is not everything in music and it is also a very broad based concept, nothing to be pigeon-holed in the way you are attempting to.

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: December 18 2012 at 11:51

But I certainly do. Besides, Terrapin Station (the song) is good piece of "prog", if judged by its complexity, duration and the lyrics. 

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: December 18 2012 at 13:07
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

How about this

And improvisation cannot be complex?   Should I seriously choose a set of, say, Spocks Beard over Barbara Dennerlein or Bela Fleck?  Why on earth?  Apart from all this, complexity is not everything in music and it is also a very broad based concept, nothing to be pigeon-holed in the way you are attempting to.

Improvisation is merely spontaneous composition.  Ergo, composition (complex or not) cannot be inherently greater than improvisation.

To the thread topic...although I love both, Close to the Edge is pretty close to untouchable.  It deserves its top spot in our top 100 albums list, imo (even though its not my personal favorite).

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: December 18 2012 at 13:15
I prefer KC to Yes but prefer CTTE (IMO by far the best Yes album) to Red (just not a big fan of the heavy prog sound)

Date Posted: December 18 2012 at 18:31
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

How about this

Improvisation is merely spontaneous composition.  Ergo, composition (complex or not) cannot be inherently greater than improvisation.

Yes, good point.  Besides even Yes apparently used to create their music through jam sessions so what he is referring to is simply the difference between organized and linear music and more chaotic and less linear music on the other hand.  

Posted By: JeanFrame
Date Posted: December 19 2012 at 09:23
Close to the edge is the one for me

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: December 19 2012 at 14:04

No, you're right. It's brilliant! One of my favourite KC tracks too.

Providence > Red (title track)
I agree with you wholeheartedly!
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

Red.

Yes it is. And I dare say it's my favorite track on Red!
It's great, but it's not my favourite. Would put it fourth behind Fallen Angel, Starless and One More Red Nightmare. But all the tracks on Red are great! That's more than I can say about CttE. The title track is amazing, and the other two have their moments, but they're not consistent enough, IMO. 

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:28
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

How about this

To the thread topic...although I love both, Close to the Edge is pretty close to untouchable.  It deserves its top spot in our top 100 albums list, imo (even though its not my personal favorite).

Complex composition is well thought-out while improv loses any genuine feel its just pussyfooting and it doesn't go anywhere,sorry

I much rather prefer something like The Cinema Show over say a Moonchild. Why? It's well crafted and complex and well thoughtout while Moonchild is a waste of time CoolCoolCool

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:33

Complex composition is well thought-out while improv loses any genuine feel its just pussyfooting and it doesn't go anywhere,sorry

I much rather prefer something like The Cinema Show over say a Moonchild. Why? It's well crafted and complex and well thoughtout while Moonchild is a waste of time CoolCoolCool

Er, what??  Improv brings about a vital human element in the music as also an element of surprise/chance.   But I guess you perhaps love listening to Celine Dion play pre recorded tracks while she pretends to perform live.  Tongue  I mean, well thought composition (and by implication, its immaculate reproduction) is better than improv, right? Wink

And, besides, what are you doing listening to prog, which is based on rock and which in turn is based on blues?  Blues has always been about flawed spontaneity and not calculated precision.  

Date Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:42

Er, what??  Improv brings about a vital human element in the music as also an element of surprise/chance.   But I guess you perhaps love listening to Celine Dion play pre recorded tracks while she pretends to perform live.  Tongue  I mean, well thought composition (and by implication, its immaculate reproduction) is better than improv, right? Wink

And, besides, what are you doing listening to prog, which is based on rock and which in turn is based on blues?  Blues has always been about flawed spontaneity and not calculated precision.  

Wait wait wait I can't listen to Prog just because of what I said, give me a break!!!!!
I'm so sorry if I'm making you rethink everything about King Crimson jeeshWackoWacko

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:44

Wait wait wait I can't listen to Prog just because of what I said, give me a break!!!!!

I hate to ask this question but how old are you?   And what at all do you know about the history of rock music?  If any school teaches you that improvisation in rock is nonsense, you need to find a different one asap....but I doubt they would, so stop fibbing.

I'm so sorry if I'm making you rethink everything about King Crimson jeeshWackoWacko

You flatter yourself way, way too much. 

Date Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:47

I hate to ask this question but how old are you?   And what at all do you know about the history of rock music?  If any school teaches you that improvisation in rock is nonsense, you need to find a different one asap....but I doubt they would, so stop fibbing.
It says he is 23. No offense to Mr. PM2112 here, but it's a little hard to believe that he is 23.

Date Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:52

It says he is 23. No offense to Mr. PM2112 here, but it's a little hard to believe that he is 23.

I am exactly 23 years of age I'm sorry that Crimson doesn't appeal to me we all have some artists that don't appeal to us, I don't know why you can't see that

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:53

I am exactly 23 years of age I'm sorry that Crimson doesn't appeal to me we all have some artists that don't appeal to us, I don't know why you can't see that

And your dislike for KC automatically implies that composition is better than improvisation?  How?  Explain your statements...don't just make them and run for shelter under the "it's my opinion" clause.

Date Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:54

No no you just don't let others have a stab/take on an artist, I gotta go back to reading I don't want to cause anything bad, damn it!!

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 20 2012 at 00:58

No no you just don't let others have a stab/take on an artist, I gotta go back to reading I don't want to cause anything bad, damn it!!

You are absolutely entitled to have your 'take' on any artist as long as you don't trample on others and mock them...as you did to Gandalff saying that KC make him headbang and as long as you don't pass off your opinions as objective statements which you have been doing a lot on this and many other threads.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: December 20 2012 at 01:24

I can give you hundred oposite examples of incredible imrovised songs vs. sh*ty prog songs, does it mean that I think improvisation is better than studio tracks? No.
If you don't like improvised stuff that's ok, I respect that, there are people who can't listen to live concerts that's ok too. Don't mix your personal tastes with facts.

I happen to love Moonchild, I don't know I just love it. Am I wrong? Do I like crapy music?
(Please don't answer that)

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: December 20 2012 at 07:00
My favourite two albums of all times. Voted for Red.

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: December 20 2012 at 09:18
I've never heard either.  Heard some of both, sure, but not nearly enough to vote.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: December 20 2012 at 10:05

The former piece (shown in sheet music) is one of the most complex compositions ever written.  It is also one of the worst.  The second piece (the video) was entirely improvised by Johann Sebastian Bach (that's how Fantasias were composed; the composer would make something up on the spot, and then write the whole thing down).  It's a great piece of Baroque music.

Is Bach "pussyfooting" here?  Would you disagree that his improvised piece is far superior to many of today's compositions?

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: HarbouringTheSoul
Date Posted: December 20 2012 at 12:21
Now I want to hear a performance of the former piece. Shocked

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk