Replies:
Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: December 15 2012 at 19:14
Mastodon without any doubt.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: December 15 2012 at 19:17
Looking back on the history of "Dream Theater vs." polls, I can say that this should be quite interesting.

Anyway, I vote Mastodon.

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: December 15 2012 at 19:20
I find Mastodon's music much more interesting and tasteful.

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: December 15 2012 at 19:42
I love the way the voting's going at this point.  Go Mastodon!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: December 15 2012 at 22:45
Confused.  I like a lot of DT's early work but look forward to a new Mastodon album much more than a new DT one.   Since it is about preferences at this point, I will go with Mastodon.

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: December 15 2012 at 22:47
I like Mastodon, so this is an easy decision.

-------------

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 05:24
Mastodon.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 07:10
Dream Theater. I hate to say it, but I quite like some of their stuff, though not all. Mastodon do nothing for me, either for or against.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 10:53
DT.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 11:42
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I hate to say it

Something I notice with this poll, seems like nobody voting Dream Theater has chipped in.  Are they embarrassed of something?

It is James LaBrie?

Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 12:22
^ Wondering same thing. Though it's fairly easy to vote against Mastodon for their vocals.

Here are some calmer ones. Approve

-------------

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 15:52
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I hate to say it

Something I notice with this poll, seems like nobody voting Dream Theater has chipped in.  Are they embarrassed of something?

It is James LaBrie?

Yes, I'm afraid it is to a large extent. DT are stellar musicians, write material which is pretty competent if a bit formulaic, but then spoil it with vocals that are frankly substandard.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 15:57
Yea Labrie is a huge handicap.

-------------

Posted By: CryoftheCarrots
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 16:22

DT. I like Mastodon although Brent's vox can be a bit annoying at times.

-------------
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK

Posted By: Jbird
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 16:23
Dream Theater by far. Never cared for Mastodon, though I've tried.

I even saw Mastodon in concert this past year on that Mastodon/Opeth tour. Mastodon were the headliners the night I saw 'em. I thought they were kind of boring, quite frankly.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 16:26
My old  friends Dream Theater, despite the  last album being a borefest.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 19:14
James LaBrie's singing is by no means substandard IMO His voice is one of the better one's in prog metal. I think if anything his voice is more suited to symph prog; he's not a metal singer IMO.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 19:37
No, i just think his voice is awful in general.

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 19:58
I like it. Mostly.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: December 16 2012 at 20:44
The new record was okay just because he didn't try soaring vocals only to crash and burn. 

-------------

Posted By: adace1
Date Posted: December 17 2012 at 02:33
I love Mastodon, but DT win this hands down.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/adace/?chartstyle=lastfmblue">

Date Posted: December 17 2012 at 08:56
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

James LaBrie's singing is by no means substandard IMO His voice is one of the better one's in prog metal. I think if anything his voice is more suited to symph prog; he's not a metal singer IMO.

His voice is alright for what it is - not particularly attractive but not too unpleasant either.  But I really dislike his forced vibrato.  I have heard him sing some lines with barely any vibrato at all so that means he is putting on a big vibrato in other places (rather than it occurring normally), which I personally find very distracting and off putting.   And the way he expresses some emotions just sounds very awkward and strange to me, almost as if he is trying hard to find a difficult way to express something simple and straightforward. 

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: December 17 2012 at 10:30
Dream Theater should have had Chris Cornell on the vocals, he can sing the high notes and have more character and gruff to sound cool also, i am pretty sure Cornell could have fitted right into DTs mold

-------------

Date Posted: December 17 2012 at 10:41
I doubt that Cornell can fetch LaBrie's high notes.   I have only heard metal tenors and countertenors get to those kind of notes.  But what those notes are supposed to add when he sings them with barely intelligible diction I don't really know.  And I too find Cornell more emotional.   But with Superunknown alone selling 9 million copies - apart from being a very fine album in its own right - there's no way Cornell would trade places with LaBrie.  

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: December 17 2012 at 10:46
I don't understand all the hate for Labrie.  Not everyone is going to like his voice, obviously, but I can't hear anything he sings that sounds awful or anything.  It's simply a different style than what many people prefer.  Rogerthat offered a sensible critique of him which I thought was fair, but I don't get people saying "he's terrible" because honestly, I think that just simply isn't true.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Date Posted: December 17 2012 at 10:50
^^^

It's a bit of a reaction to the hype.  If there's a bunch of fans praising him to the skies (not their fault if they like it) and saying he sings like no other singer and what you hear is...like, well....it can trigger a reaction.   

I've had that thing myself with Bruce Dickinson...get pretty tired of the fans raving about him and never acknowledging his predecessor's role in the band's success.  I am not interested in comparing the two but I do feel Di'Anno is a very good singer and shows some vulnerability in places that Bruce can't touch so I get incensed when they say stuff like "he is not fit to tie Bruce's boots".  And then they refuse to acknowledge Dio which would annoy me even more.   That made me a bit reluctant to appreciate Bruce...until I got the opportunity to watch him live.  Smile

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: December 17 2012 at 12:41
Mastodon

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: December 17 2012 at 14:52
White whale, holy grail! Nuke Headbanger

-------------

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: December 17 2012 at 15:12
I prefer Crack the Skye to any DT album I've heard, so...Mastodon.

-------------

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: December 18 2012 at 04:55
DT, easily.

Posted By: Norbert
Date Posted: December 20 2012 at 08:37
Well, for me IAW and Awake are are unbeatable classics.
What I have heard from Mastodon has not make me too excited.

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 20:39
Dream Theater for me easily.

I particularly (usually) enjoy LaBrie's vocals. And frankly, he still sounds pretty 20+ years later. His ability is definitely top notch.

Posted By: Sumdeus
Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 20:47
while I don't like Mastodon, I don't particularly hate them so they win this one

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 20:53
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

while I don't like Mastodon, I don't particularly hate them so they win this one

what is it about Mastodon you don't like, Rome??. Voted Mastodon because they are not overtly pretentious like Dream Theater Ouch. Like the Bearded Bard said "Crack The Skye" beats anything Dream Theater has done Ouch

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 20:55
^ Yes it does. Brilliant. brilliant, brilliant album 

-------------

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 21:13
I have bought several albums by each band. While I wasn't overly impressed with either bands, Mastodon gets my vote, as I at least like a few of their songs. As for Dream Theater... it's all sh*t. LOL

Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 21:19
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

what is it about Mastodon you don't like, Rome??. Voted Mastodon because they are not overtly pretentious like Dream Theater Ouch. Like the Bearded Bard said "Crack The Skye" beats anything Dream Theater has done Ouch

i feel like someone has asked me about this before because i remember people getting mad at my reply hehe... pretty much the vocals are terrible and beyond that the instrumentation is alright but nothing that special, plus i have disdain for them for creating whole trend of hipster metal that was really popular for a while with Baroness and all those other bands that play rock music dressed up as metal so that hipsters who don't like metal can listen to it and pretend they are listening to metal.

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 21:35

i feel like someone has asked me about this before because i remember people getting mad at my reply hehe... pretty much the vocals are terrible and beyond that the instrumentation is alright but nothing that special, plus i have disdain for them for creating whole trend of hipster metal that was really popular for a while with Baroness and all those other bands that play rock music dressed up as metal so that hipsters who don't like metal can listen to it and pretend they are listening to metal.

I can understand the vocals but to me they've working at it for the last few albums and have been getting better at them, I don't know how much Cannabis you've been smoking, Rome because Mastodon is not Hipster Metal. These are examples of Hipster Metal bands(Liturgy,  The Locust, Job For A Cowboy, etc). That last bit doesn't make much sense to me

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: Jbird
Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 21:39

My feelings exactly.

I don't hate them, I just can't understand all the hype about an average band. And yes, I have Crack The Skye.

And for all the hate against LaBrie, the singer for Mastodon sounds like Ozzy Osbourne on a bad day. Imo.

Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 21:50

I can understand the vocals but to me they've working at it for the last few albums and have been getting better at them, I don't know how much Cannabis you've been smoking, Rome because Mastodon is not Hipster Metal. These are examples of Hipster Metal bands(Liturgy,  The Locust, Job For A Cowboy, etc). That last bit doesn't make much sense to me

liturgy are the ultimate hipsters yes. not sure who locust are and as for JFAC, they're not really hipsters, just crappy deathcore turned generic death metal.

what i mean about mastodon though is they and baroness stared this whole trend with tons of people praising them as the best metal to come out in years and tons of bands imitating them musically and visually but from listening to the music all it seems like is these bands take a few more accessible elements of metal and twist them to be fused with pop rock elements to be presented to a wider more mainstream audience.

and for the record, i've been smoking so much cannabis. :P

-------------

Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 22:22

liturgy are the ultimate hipsters yes. not sure who locust are and as for JFAC, they're not really hipsters, just crappy deathcore turned generic death metal.

what i mean about mastodon though is they and baroness stared this whole trend with tons of people praising them as the best metal to come out in years and tons of bands imitating them musically and visually but from listening to the music all it seems like is these bands take a few more accessible elements of metal and twist them to be fused with pop rock elements to be presented to a wider more mainstream audience.

and for the record, i've been smoking so much cannabis. :P

But I really do think that Mastodon is the best band to come out in a while in Metal but that's just my opinion. Woah Mastodon really weren't trying to start all that crap that came after them Ouch

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: Jonathan
Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 22:25
Dream Theater is one of my favorite Prog Metal Bands and so is Mastodon.
They sound better to me than those Mathcore bands. LOL

Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 23:12

oh god just stop

-------------

Posted By: HarbouringTheSoul
Date Posted: February 17 2013 at 02:34

Voted Mastodon because they are not overtly pretentious like Dream Theater Ouch.

Yes, concept albums about Moby Dick and Rasputin in space are absolutely down-to-earth!Wink
(For the record, I like Mastodon)

but from listening to the music all it seems like is these bands take a few more accessible elements of metal and twist them to be fused with pop rock elements to be presented to a wider more mainstream audience.

No, you must be mistaken. That was in the 80s and they called it "hair metal". LOL

On a more serious note, while 'hipster metal' bands like Mastodon are certainly more accessible to a non-metal audience than, say, straightforward black metal, they're certainly not very accessible to a mainstream audience either, at least not prior to The Hunter. They incorporate lots of elements from hardcore punk (less so in recent years), stoner rock, progressive rock, psychedelic rock and whatnot, none of which are very mainstream genres to begin with. I can't speak for other 'hipster-approved' metal bands, Mastodon certainly aren't fusing metal with pop rock. Even more than in prog, there's a sad tendency in the metal scene to cry "sellout!" any time a band reaches a wider, non-metal audience.

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: February 29 2016 at 23:36
Mastodon

-------------
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 01 2016 at 00:24
Dream Theater

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: March 01 2016 at 13:45
I love both bands, but Mastodon hasn't released any bad or boring albums imo unlike DT.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 01 2016 at 14:32
DT

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 01 2016 at 16:08
*spits beer on monitor*

hisss... a DT thread. I thought those were extinct....

love Mastodon..  but would vote for Will Smith and the Fresh Prince over DT as long as he didn't have LaBrie doing a guest turn on vocals and making your ears bleed...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 02 2016 at 05:51
Mastodon excite me more than DT.

Posted By: Cookie13
Date Posted: March 11 2016 at 11:21
Without a doubt Mastodon.

-------------
"Clipside of the pinkeye flight
I'm not the percent you think survives
I need sanctuary in the pages of this book."

Son Et Lumiere - The Mars Volta

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: March 15 2016 at 13:28
Dream Theater by far

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk