Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9112
Printed Date: May 15 2024 at 13:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: DreamTheater vs Radiohead
Posted By: gabbel ratchett
Subject: DreamTheater vs Radiohead
Date Posted: July 24 2005 at 23:21

In an effort to keep up with some of the more recent thought provoking posts here, I'd like to pose this question:

If Dream Theater and Radiohead were to share a concert stage for one show and got into a bare knuckel fist fight back stage, who would win?

-------------
dead things don't talk too well, they've got a shaky sense of diction.

Replies:
Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: July 24 2005 at 23:25

RADIOHEAD WINS!!!

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: NetsNJFan
Date Posted: July 24 2005 at 23:28

I think LaBrie would let out a high pitched banshee wail and radioheads-heads would pop

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2005 at 23:30
Would Radiohead whine about getting beat up on the next album?

-------------

Posted By: Bowzo
Date Posted: July 24 2005 at 23:38

Wouldn't they whine about something anyways?

Dream Theater would win, obviously. James LaBrie is Canadian. And so am I so I can tell you firsthand! He would cross-check the sh*t out of them, with a mic stand, and then throw his pet beavers at them.

Posted By: Man Overboard
Date Posted: July 24 2005 at 23:53
I bet Jordan Rudess could kick some ass.  Thom Yorke just looks like a wuss.

-------------
https://soundcloud.com/erin-susan-jennings" rel="nofollow - Bedroom guitarist". Composer, Arranger, Producer. Perfection may not exist, but I may still choose to serve Perfection.

Commissions considered.

Posted By: frinspar
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 00:58
LaBrie is a...um, thick guy. He could give 'em a canuckle sandwich with some heft behind it. Portnoy, Rudess and Petrucci could triple-team and take a few out that way. But Myung would end up by himself and would keep looking for Ty Tabor out of desperation, pretty much meaning he gets his butt kicked around his waist.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 01:04

The question is silly, no one would win, it's a concert not a contest, if you like contest better go and watch Eurovision or something similar.

This is only a matter of taste.

None of them are among my favorites and I believe Radiohead is barely Prog', despite that fact I would go to a Radiohead concert and not to a Dream Theater because they bore me.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 01:09
Of course its a silly question, and taste has nothing to do with it.

-------------

Posted By: frinspar
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 01:13
Of course it's silly. A silly thread that's not about the ruinous fret buzz at 4:27 in Watcher of the Skies.

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 01:22
Come to think of it, this is getting hit over the head  here, insults would be two threads down the hall. My guitar player is better than your drummer because he thought of a melody once.

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 01:28

Creativity:

Edge: Radiohead (only because DT has had few good musical ideas in 5 yrs)

Technical Proficiency:

Edge: DT

Commercial? (not a good thing):

Edge: Radiohead

Who would win in a fight to the death with swords?:

Hard to call, but I'd say DT, but Labrie would be the first to go down.

Who would win in a fight to the death unarmed?:

see above.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 01:34
In a fight to the death with swords, who would be the first to declare "it's only a flesh wound" ?

-------------

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 01:40
james labrie

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 02:25

I wouldn't want to fight Portnoy..the guy looks seriously deranged as well as capable of looking after himself.Radiohead are a bunch of wimps and would get their arses kicked.

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 03:31

And so Kevin Moore steps up to take on whoever is on keyboard duties in Radiohead at the current moment.

*Blast!!!* He fires a volley of really fast stuff - but with absolutely no musical direction, and knocks out several members of the audience. They were DT fans, and would have been knocked out anyway...

Thom Yorke presses a single button, and a single, delicate, quivering note hangs on the air for what seems like an eternity. Several DT fans fall asleep. Kevin Moore falls asleep. Job done!

DT pull out the backup, and Derek Sherinian fires a dense salvo of incomprehensible drivel, and Thom collapses with laughter - now there's a rare sight. Fortunately for the Radiohead boys, it's Johnny Greenword's turn on the keys, and he lets rip with a Mellotron so hauntingly beautiful, that Sherinian can no longer see due to the tears in his eyes. DT fans in the audience wonder what the fuss is about.

Round Two:

Colin Greenwood goes straight in with a deep, rumbling bass with a ton of distortion that makes John Myung's cabinet's explode. There wasn't going to be a contest here anyway - Myung wouldn't know a bassline if it bit him.

Round Three:

Portnoy unleashes a ferocious attack, all over the place... and that is his big weakness. A single cymbal hit from Phil Selway - perfectly timed, as ever, is all it takes.

Round Four:

Thom steps up to the mike, and unleashes a wail of such soul-ripping intensity, with a melody so jaw-droppingly beautiful, that Rudess has to concede that he has neither the tonal quality or melodic invention to keep up. Thom finishes him off with a single line of lyrics that makes Rudess realise that he needs to go back to poetry classes.

Round Five:

Petrucci snakes a whirlwind of scaly fingers aroung Johnny Greenwood's head. The DT fans go wild - and some wet their pants.

Greenwood just plays any old stuff that seems to come from nowhere and go nowhere.

Have Radiohead finally bitten the dust?

Their fans look totally bemused - but that's normal.

The DT fans laugh smugly. At least DT win where it counts.

Petrucci, encouraged by this, drops into a little acoustic number...

Now the laughter comes from the other side of the auditorium!

The complete lack of musical invention or raw emotion is just the helping hand Greenwood needed.

He strums a single chord of ethereal beauty, and a string on Petrucci's guitar snaps.

Greenwood then produces a harmonic construction so daringly original, yet hard-edged and powerful that Petrucci staggers - to the bemusement of the DT fans.

Recovering slightly, Petrucci goes back to the tired old solo format for one last hit - but Greenwood responds quickly with a melody so emotionally powerful, that Petrucci starts foaming at the mouth, cursing his stupid guitar teacher and vowing to give up sweep picking forever.

Result;

No contest.

Despite DT's virtuosity (or, in all likelihood, because of it), they couldn't write music at Radiohead's level of artistry if their lives depended on it.

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 03:40

This would be an interesting celebrity deathmatch:

Tom Yorke vs. Mike Portnoy

I guess Yorke would try to drown Portnoy with tears ... and Portnoy would try to double bass him to death

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: Valarius
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 04:43
Dream Theater! Duh!

Posted By: Syndromet
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 05:35
I bet Yohn Myang knows kung-fu....

-------------
It is said to be the first Test-pressing of the corean release??

http://www.freewebs.com/ligyrophobia/

Posted By: Joren
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 06:19
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

And so Kevin Moore steps up to take on whoever is on keyboard duties in Radiohead at the current moment.

*Blast!!!* He fires a volley of really fast stuff - but with absolutely no musical direction, and knocks out several members of the audience. They were DT fans, and would have been knocked out anyway...

Thom Yorke presses a single button, and a single, delicate, quivering note hangs on the air for what seems like an eternity. Several DT fans fall asleep. Kevin Moore falls asleep. Job done!

DT pull out the backup, and Derek Sherinian fires a dense salvo of incomprehensible drivel, and Thom collapses with laughter - now there's a rare sight. Fortunately for the Radiohead boys, it's Johnny Greenword's turn on the keys, and he lets rip with a Mellotron so hauntingly beautiful, that Sherinian can no longer see due to the tears in his eyes. DT fans in the audience wonder what the fuss is about.

Round Two:

Colin Greenwood goes straight in with a deep, rumbling bass with a ton of distortion that makes John Myung's cabinet's explode. There wasn't going to be a contest here anyway - Myung wouldn't know a bassline if it bit him.

Round Three:

Portnoy unleashes a ferocious attack, all over the place... and that is his big weakness. A single cymbal hit from Phil Selway - perfectly timed, as ever, is all it takes.

Round Four:

Thom steps up to the mike, and unleashes a wail of such soul-ripping intensity, with a melody so jaw-droppingly beautiful, that Rudess has to concede that he has neither the tonal quality or melodic invention to keep up. Thom finishes him off with a single line of lyrics that makes Rudess realise that he needs to go back to poetry classes.

Round Five:

Petrucci snakes a whirlwind of scaly fingers aroung Johnny Greenwood's head. The DT fans go wild - and some wet their pants.

Greenwood just plays any old stuff that seems to come from nowhere and go nowhere.

The complete lack of musical invention or raw emotion is just the helping hand Greenwood needed.

He strums a single chord of ethereal beauty, and a string on Petrucci's guitar snaps.

Greenwood then produces a harmonic construction so daringly original, yet hard-edged and powerful that Petrucci staggers - to the bemusement of the DT fans.

Recovering slightly, Petrucci goes back to the tired old solo format for one last hit - but Greenwood responds quickly with a melody so emotionally powerful, that Petrucci starts foaming at the mouth, cursing his stupid guitar teacher and vowing to give up sweep picking forever.

Result;

No contest.

Despite DT's virtuosity (or, in all likelihood, because of it), they couldn't write music at Radiohead's level of artistry if their lives depended on it.

Posted By: Manunkind
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 06:47

Originally posted by frinspar frinspar wrote:

LaBrie is a...um, thick guy. He could give 'em a canuckle sandwich with some heft behind it. Portnoy, Rudess and Petrucci could triple-team and take a few out that way. But Myung would end up by himself and would keep looking for Ty Tabor out of desperation, pretty much meaning he gets his butt kicked around his waist.

I'm not so sure about that one; Myung is said to be a very strong fellow.

-------------
"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun

Posted By: Ed_The_Dead
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 08:00
And he does look like he knows some martial arts!!!!!! Dt would crush'em

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ed_the_dead/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 08:03
Ow and Rudess looks like a skinhead and would smash them with his Kurzweil - baseball bat

-------------

Posted By: GoldenSpiral
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 08:04

Why must there be so much hate?

The bands would realize that fighting is stupid and will accomplish nothing so they decide to fuse together the technical skills of DT with the emotion and artistry of Radiohead and start jamming out a song so powerful that everyone in the audience craps their pants involuntarily.  that's how good the song is.  so intense and beautiful that even that back part of their brains that controls stuff like bowel regulation is so engaged in every soaring note that they all lose control of their colons and crap their pants.

when the song is over, there is poo everyhwere but no one cares because they have witnessed something truly unique and they have all learned a valuable lesson that when differences are put aside and violence is avoided, brilliant things can happen.  and poo.

-------------
http://www.myspace.com/altaic" rel="nofollow - http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 08:25

DT and Radiohead fighting? And who would win???

javascript nextPicture;">   javascript nextPicture;">

Well, the body language speaks for itself, right  ?

Posted By: Under
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 08:36

It is too easy to judge on the looks of the bands. Surely DT looks like they have more muscles, but hey, if Thom Yorke starts spitting.....

And again it is not all about muscles; it is a matter of how far each band would want to go. Radiohead would be knocked down for sure, but they would keep getting up. Not fearing death and perhaps even appriciating the heroic, possible escape form life. Very possibly DT would run for all this blackend, self-destructing thoughts.

Anyhow the inspiration form it would lead to some great music. So in the end we will be the winners!!!

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 08:50
Originally posted by Under Under wrote:

It is too easy to judge on the looks of the bands. Surely DT looks like they have more muscles, but hey, if Thom Yorke starts spitting.....

And again it is not all about muscles; it is a matter of how far each band would want to go. Radiohead would be knocked down for sure, but they would keep getting up. Not fearing death and perhaps even appriciating the heroic, possible escape form life. Very possibly DT would run for all this blackend, self-destructing thoughts.

True, if Thom Yorke would sing When I am king you will be first against the wall in his own special way, I guess the guys from DT would think twice before using their muscles

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 08:57
Dream Theater would be too worried about getting their hair all mussed up or their pretty costumes torn to put up a real fight. Radiohead look like the kind of little wiry psychos who keep getting up no matter how many times you hit them - Radiohead would win, but Dream Theater would give them a good pasting first.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: goose
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 09:15
I love the way six topics surrounding this one have been moved and this one still stays in the Prog lounge

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 09:26
Don't like both...so no one wins...no one counts to me...

-------------

Posted By: Bowzo
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 10:04
Guys! Myung knows the Myung Tackle! He's actually a pokemon, and when Petrucci throws his Pokeball, he says "Myung, I choose you! Myung, do Myung Tackle Attack!" And then he attacks James LaBrie, because he always attacks James LaBrie.

Posted By: Manunkind
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 10:06
 so true

-------------
"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun

Posted By: daghrastubfari
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 10:10
I'd say  Radiohead, they probably get some help from the karma police

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 10:11
Watching tentatively from the wings, muscles flexing, lips quivering in the shadows, salavating like a pack of dogs that haven't eaten in days, its.................its..................................... ..The Mars Volta!

-------------

Posted By: DavidInsabella
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 10:13

Is that some kind of joke? Puh-lease. There are toddlers who could think of better ideas than Radiohead.

-------------
Life seemed to him merely like a gallery of how to be.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 11:02

Originally posted by frinspar frinspar wrote:

Of course it's silly. A silly thread that's not about the ruinous fret buzz at 4:27 in Watcher of the Skies.

Ruinous????????? Its fantastic!!!!!!!!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 11:19
If Dt bring along Charlie Dominici, and he does the fantastic version of Metropolis he did in New York 11/14-89, I bet he would destroy the hearing of all people in the audience, and kill the members of both bands. This is just truly horrible. If there is any DT fans out there who have not heard this, I will do my best to let you hear it. I just can't stop laughing at it. I'll rip it and post it later on.

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 11:54
Now would that have been recorded with analog gear or with digital gear? I can only enjoy it if it is recorded the right way. Do Pokemen die if you feed them chocolate?

-------------

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 11:58

Originally posted by Syndromet Syndromet wrote:

If Dt bring along Charlie Dominici, and he does the fantastic version of Metropolis he did in New York 11/14-89, I bet he would destroy the hearing of all people in the audience, and kill the members of both bands. This is just truly horrible. If there is any DT fans out there who have not heard this, I will do my best to let you hear it. I just can't stop laughing at it. I'll rip it and post it later on.

I need to hear this.

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 11:59

It's dat:) so it's digital. But who cares, it sounds bad anyway. I'm trying to find  place where i can upload the file, but that is kind of hard....

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 12:06

Originally posted by Bowzo Bowzo wrote:

Guys! Myung knows the Myung Tackle! He's actually a pokemon, and when Petrucci throws his Pokeball, he says "Myung, I choose you! Myung, do Myung Tackle Attack!" And then he attacks James LaBrie, because he always attacks James LaBrie.

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 12:23

Her you go. Charlie Dimicini singing metropolis on his last show with DT. And this time it is working to. :D

http://www.geocities.com/n_h_k_l/dtmetro.wma - http://www.geocities.com/n_h_k_l/dtmetro.wma http://www.geocities.com/n_h_k_l/dtmetro.wma -

-------------

Posted By: CrazyDiamond
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 14:45

I'd go for Dream Theater. Great great band, sometimes (when I'm in the right mood, a rock mood), I can't stop listening to their albums. Their last work is fantastic, the last two songs (Sacrificed Sons and Octavarium) are very very good. I think I'm the only one who still think that Radiohead are uhm.. rock  , but not progressive rock. Just an opinion, I don't want to offend the fans.

___BYE___

-------------

Posted By: MANTICORE
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 15:15
my vote is for Radiohead

-------------
http://imageshack.us">

The Beatles

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 15:44
Originally posted by DavidInsabella DavidInsabella wrote:

Is that some kind of joke? Puh-lease. There are toddlers who could think of better ideas than Radiohead.

That is patently not true - or is this some kind of joke???

Yes, I was kind of taking the wossname, but your statement is balderdash. There aren't Dream Theater members who could think of better ideas than Radiohead

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 16:22
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Why must there be so much hate?

The bands would realize that fighting is stupid and will accomplish nothing so they decide to fuse together the technical skills of DT with the emotion and artistry of Radiohead and start jamming out a song so powerful that everyone in the audience craps their pants involuntarily.  that's how good the song is.  so intense and beautiful that even that back part of their brains that controls stuff like bowel regulation is so engaged in every soaring note that they all lose control of their colons and crap their pants.

when the song is over, there is poo everyhwere but no one cares because they have witnessed something truly unique and they have all learned a valuable lesson that when differences are put aside and violence is avoided, brilliant things can happen.  and poo.

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 20:53

Dream Theater=

Radiohead=

Radiohead=

Need I say more?

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 22:00
Radiohead are legends.

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 22:34

What an exciting fight this has been so far ladies and gentlemen!

At last count the score was Radiohead 10 and Dream Theater 18.

There are rumors of poo in the stands and the phone lines have been jammed with callers voiceing their concerns for the safety of all progkind!

Radiohead, former legends of the squared circle are regrouping for the next round. Dream Theater seem ready to continue, as swollen and bloody as they are, their resolve has not been truely tested yet!

How much longer can this go on?  Wait!... Whats this?... I've just received an instant message (via astral projection) from Jon Anderson, he'd like everyone to reach high up into the air and pluck a melody down, hold it close, and think nice thoughts.......

Oh the humanity!

-------------

Posted By: sideways
Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 11:57

Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Dream Theater would be too worried about getting their hair all mussed up or their pretty costumes torn to put up a real fight. Radiohead look like the kind of little wiry psychos who keep getting up no matter how many times you hit them - Radiohead would win, but Dream Theater would give them a good pasting first.

Pretty costumes??? What frikken band are you looking at???   I think your thinking of someone else mate

I don't know about RH, but I know with DT, any band that plays a high intensity 3 hour show every night like they do......them boys are in serious shape and wouldn't want to tangle with any of them.

-------------
"Who would wish this on our people?..And proclaim that his will be done" Sacrificed Sons - Dream Theater

Posted By: boo boo
Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 12:31

Round Two:

Round Three:

Round Four:

Round Five:

Result;

No contest.

good matchup...radiohead > dream theater.

Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 12:35
And they can allways get support from Mike Portnoys gangsta rapper crew. Just look at his shirts and hats! The whole Long Island ghetto is following Mike to shot Radiohead

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 13:18

Originally posted by Ed_The_Dead Ed_The_Dead wrote:

And they can allways get support from Mike Portnoys gangsta rapper crew. Just look at his shirts and hats! The whole Long Island ghetto is following Mike to shot Radiohead

Hahahahahahaha. You mean those anorexic Prog-Metal- snobs?

Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 13:33
portnoy sharpens his drumsticks and stabs every member of radiohead vampire-style.

-------------

Posted By: fungusucantkill
Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 13:55

not to be beyond the word obvious but uhh i'm gonna go with dream theater

portnoy stabs

rudess points and laughes while petrucci goes in for the kill

and labrie screams cuz he can and will...someday

not that itd be any good just wanna see

and myung would have this badass killing expo that no one would expect

thats how it goes down

-------------

Posted By: Odd24
Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 14:22

Radiohead vs. Dream Theater? What can I say...

There’s no-one left alive - must be a draw.
So the blackcap barons toss a coin to settle the score.

-------------
Right down the line

Posted By: nimrodel
Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 15:34
i think Myung knows some serious kung-fu. so dt is the winner!

-------------
We want... a shrubbery!

Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 15:52
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Hmmm... Who do You mean? Radiohead? theyr not prog metal.

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 16:02

Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Hmmm... Who do You mean? Radiohead? theyr not prog metal.

Get it for yourself.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: July 27 2005 at 09:44

After Dream Theater kicked Radiohead out of the ring, Manowar get in. That would be a great concept for a new Celebrity Deathmatch!

Posted By: jj1414
Date Posted: July 27 2005 at 17:16
I love RadioHead

Posted By: ShaunoNoNo
Date Posted: July 27 2005 at 18:22

Dream Theater are metal.

Everyone knows metalheads are tough.

-------------

Posted By: sean
Date Posted: July 27 2005 at 19:30
dream theater would win. john myung does  about 50 pushups before and after every show and he probably does even more at home. plus, james labrie is canadian and jordan rudess is just godly and he would just use some crazy psychic powers and destroy radiohead and in the process destroy every other musician of lesser quality such as rappers, pop singers, punks, death metal people, and i could go on forever about crappy genres, but in the end DT would beat radiohead in a fistfight.

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: July 27 2005 at 22:14

Since Radiohead is a wussy pop rock band and not prog- Dream Theater Shreads them to pieces!!!! Rock on DT

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk