URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9132
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 01:24
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: read any good books lately...
Posted By: stonebeard
Subject: read any good books lately...
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 11:27

...besides "Harry Potter"

I'm still reading Dune and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold both are very good by the way.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Replies:
Posted By: GoldenSpiral
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 11:32

about to start reading Dune,  and Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk as soon as I finish The Stand by Stephen King (sadly its almost 1500 pages!).  Just finished up Arthur Clarke's 2010: Odyssey 2 which was quite awesome.

luckily, I have a week at the beach coming up, so I'll probably get thru most of those.

-------------
http://www.myspace.com/altaic" rel="nofollow - http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 11:45
Recently read Espedair St, Walking On Glass, Canal Dreams & A Song of Stone, back to back, all by Iain Banks...(he of Wasp Factory fame)...

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: Manunkind
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 12:50

Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Recently read Espedair St, Walking On Glass, Canal Dreams & A Song of Stone, back to back, all by Iain Banks...(he of Wasp Factory fame)...

Iain Banks kicks major ass!

Although I've only read the sci-fi stuff he publishes as Iain M. Banks...

I've finished reading an anthology of Russian sci-fi stories, don't know whether it's been published in English, but if it has, the title's probably something like "Lenin's Zombie". Really original stuff, at times very funny, often scary, but usually very serious, the Russian past being ever present in those stories...

Now I'm reading John Barth's "Lost in the Funhouse".     

-------------
"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun

Posted By: Cygnus X-2
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 13:24
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I finished yesterday, it was a good read.

Anyway,

War of the Worlds (again)

Moon (Keith Moon biography)

-------------

Posted By: bityear
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 13:35
I just got done with the Robert Jordan books that's out so far... took me, like, three months! And, it's good ALL THE WAY THROUGH! What's up with that guy??
 I'll take a break from reading now, but I've still got to read through Lord of the Rings this year... it's a tradition.

Well, now you know what a geek I am.

-------------
www.geocities.com/joelbitars

Posted By: spectral
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 14:32
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

about to start reading Dune,  and Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk as soon as I finish The Stand by Stephen King (sadly its almost 1500 pages!).  Just finished up Arthur Clarke's 2010: Odyssey 2 which was quite awesome.

luckily, I have a week at the beach coming up, so I'll probably get thru most of those.

I've read Lullaby.  It was cool.  It's the first Palahniuk book I've picked up...I've yet to read Fight Club.

I'm reading Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland at the moment.  Not up to the usual high standards of Coupland, but typical of his work nonetheless.  I'm also re-reading Closing Time (sequel to Catch 22 - one of the greatest book I've read) by Joseph Heller.

-------------
"...misty halos made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."

Posted By: GoldenSpiral
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 15:09
Originally posted by spectral spectral wrote:

I've read Lullaby.  It was cool.  It's the first Palahniuk book I've picked up...I've yet to read Fight Club.

I'm reading Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland at the moment.  Not up to the usual high standards of Coupland, but typical of his work nonetheless.  I'm also re-reading Closing Time (sequel to Catch 22 - one of the greatest book I've read) by Joseph Heller.

if you like Palahniuk, Choke is the best, followed by Fight Club and Survivor.  He also has a book of semi-true stories called Stranger than Fiction that I hope to read soon too.

-------------
http://www.myspace.com/altaic" rel="nofollow - http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 15:33

Originally posted by spectral spectral wrote:

if you like Palahniuk, Choke is the best, followed by Fight Club and Survivor.  He also has a book of semi-true stories called Stranger than Fiction that I hope to read soon too.

Thanks for the tips.  I quite enjoyed Lullaby, but thought at the time that he's probably got better books.  I'll check them out.

-------------

Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 19:35
"only when the sun shines brightly" by Magnus Mills is the best book I've read this year which isn't by P G Wodehouse.

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 19:50

I'm still reading Dune and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold both are very good by the way.

Dune is an incredible book and a great series.I read those books over and over again when I was a teenager.There are a whole bunch of prequel books out written by Frank Herbert's son Brian and sci-fi writer Kevin Anderson,which I have read but detested,they just lacked the brilliance and the vision of Frank's books.

And I just finished my daughters copy of HP and The Half Blood Prince,great book,I can't help it,I love that series.

Currently reading:The River God by Wilbur Smith,a novel set in ancient Egypt

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 19:52
Is the new Potter book worth reading if you fall into the "The first three were excellent but it's all gone to pot" camp?

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 19:53
I just recieved "The Negative Dialectics of poodle play" By Ben Watson i think. It's about Zappa's music and such. I think it will be an interesting read.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 20:03

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Is the new Potter book worth reading if you fall into the "The first three were excellent but it's all gone to pot" camp?

I think they have gotten better with each book.Starting with The Prisoner of Azkaban the story started to get very dark.I think with that book HP pretty much stopped being a "kids book".Have you read up to The Order of the Phoenix?If you have you have too keep on,don't you want to see how it all comes out in the end?Only one more book to go.

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 20:16
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

I think they have gotten better with each book.Starting with The Prisoner of Azkaban the story started to get very dark.I think with that book HP pretty much stopped being a "kids book".Have you read up to The Order of the Phoenix?

Yes, and I thought the last two were sh*te. Overwritten, riddled with cliches and nowhere near as gripping as the media'd have you believe.

If you have you have too keep on,don't you want to see how it all comes out in the end?

Not bothered. I'd just like to read another book in the series as good as "Azkaban". I get the feeling that's not gonna happen though.

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 20:21

progtologist:

yeah, i'm about halfway done with Dune. I've barely picked it up since school's end and i should've been done with it a half-year ago.

trouserpress:

i liked The Goblet of Fire but have not yet read The Order of the Phoenix or the new one. But I'll do it sooner or later. I didn't think Goblet was that bad though, you may be alone on that one.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: NetsNJFan
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 20:30
I think Dune is my favorite book, along with 1984 and Deepness in the Sky (Vernor Vinge)

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 20:34

Originally posted by NetsNJFan NetsNJFan wrote:

I think Dune is my favorite book, along with 1984 and Deepness in the Sky (Vernor Vinge)

I am a huge sci fi and fantasy fan and IMO Dune is the greatest sci fi book ever written

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 20:49

I am a huge sci fi and fantasy fan and IMO Dune is the greatest sci fi book ever written

check out Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge.

my mom has literally 2,000 science fiction books in basement, just shelves and shelves, its ridiculous, anyways we both love SF and agree that thats one of the best ever written

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 21:02

check out Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge.

my mom has literally 2,000 science fiction books in basement, just shelves and shelves, its ridiculous, anyways we both love SF and agree that thats one of the best ever written

I have heard of that book but haven't read it,I'll check it out.I probably have that many sc-fi and fantasy books alone.I built shelves on 2 walls of our extra room,wall to wall and floor to ceiling  and still can't fit all of them on it.We have books all over the place and it drives my wife absolutely nuts.

-------------

Posted By: maani
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 22:10

stonebeard/golden spiral:

It may be too late for stonebeard, but...

Wait!  Now that the "prequels" to Dune are available, you really owe it to yourself to read the entire series from the beginning.  Yes, Dune stands on its own, and the series it started also stands together as a series.  But...

The prequels are all quite brilliant, and provide an extraordinary "set-up" for Dune and what followed.

In case you are not aware, the order is:

The Butlerian Jihad
The Machine Crusade
The Battle of Corrin
House Atreides
House Harkonnen
House Corrino
Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse Dune

Have fun!

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 22:14

the prequels don't compare, thye are interesting side notes but don't stand on their own at all

you have to start with Dune

-------------

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 22:25

Dune *****
Dune Messiah  ****
Children of Dune ***
God Emperor of Dune ***
Heretics of Dune  **
Chapterhouse Dune **

I haven't read the prequell's but I'm rather interested in the Butlerian Jihad, for it plays such a big part in the other books.

I liked the first book the best, after God Emperor I lost interest since the other two weren't as good

I'm reading Kalki, from Gore Vidal now 

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 22:47

Dune is one of the greatest books.

I just started Atlas Shrugged.

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 23:14
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

stonebeard/golden spiral:

It may be too late for stonebeard, but...

Wait!  Now that the "prequels" to Dune are available, you really owe it to yourself to read the entire series from the beginning.  Yes, Dune stands on its own, and the series it started also stands together as a series.  But...

The prequels are all quite brilliant, and provide an extraordinary "set-up" for Dune and what followed.

In case you are not aware, the order is:

The Butlerian Jihad
The Machine Crusade
The Battle of Corrin
House Atreides
House Harkonnen
House Corrino
Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse Dune

Have fun!

The prequel books just didn't sweep me away like the original series did.And I like Kevin J Anderson because I am Star Wars fan and he has written quite a few good SW books.The prequel books don't suck,they just don't compare to Frank's work.I did enjoy the Butlerian Jihad trilogy more than the House series though.Out of the original series of books(which I have reread and reread over and over again)the first 3 are my favorites.Besides the original book I am quite fond of Children of Dune.Leto II is so cool.

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 23:17
Originally posted by Arsillus Arsillus wrote:

I could never get into Ayn Rand,god knows I tried.I wish you luck.I just finished reading an extremely violent book that is like Lord of the Flies but wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more violent and bloody.It's a Japanese novel called Battle Royale,has anyone read that?

-------------

Posted By: Cygnus X-2
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 23:19

I could never get into Ayn Rand,god knows I tried.I wish you luck.I just finished reading an extremely violent book that is like Lord of the Flies but wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more violent and bloody.It's a Japanese novel called Battle Royale,has anyone read that?

I read it once awhile ago, I know they made a film  of it, too. Never seen the film, though.

-------------

Posted By: Spanky
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 23:45
"The World According to Garp" by John Irving.

-------------
Coalinga knows how to party.

Posted By: Trotsky
Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 00:07

Originally posted by Spanky Spanky wrote:

"The World According to Garp" by John Irving.

One of my favourite books of all time ... I own all his books but haven't got around to reading the last two yet

I also rate Son Of The Circus very highly, as well as the obvious Owen Meany, Cider House Rules, Hotel New Hampshire books ...

Am currently re-reading Ivan Turgenev's Sketches From A Hunter's Album ... wonderful depiction of 19th century Russia 

-------------
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."

Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 00:16
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

I read it once awhile ago, I know they made a film  of it, too. Never seen the film, though.

the film is supposed to be excellent. i can't find it anywhere though. i'm gonna check ebay.

-------------

Posted By: felixxx
Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 02:33
Clive Barker's  Books of blood II 

Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 02:50

Originally posted by felixxx felixxx wrote:

Barker is really good.Have you ever read The Great and Secret Show and it's sequel Everville?If you haven't you should.Imajica is good too.

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 04:55

Barker is really good.Have you ever read The Great and Secret Show and it's sequel Everville?If you haven't you should.Imajica is good too.

I have read these books, i have read almost everything from Barker, he is my favorite! Him and H.P.Lovecraft!

Posted By: Matti
Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 06:19
As many of proggers seem to enjoy science fiction, I mention Walter Tevis' Mockinbird (1980) which I read lately. It's an interesting future vision, somewhat melancholic instead of being very dark like 1984. Population of mankind has decreased, no new babies have been born for decades, almost all the work is done by robots and people have regressed into dull drug addicts with not much other social activities than quick sex. The 3 main characters are the most humane and superior robot who wishes to 'die', a man who discovers long-gone reading skill, and an outcast woman with whom the man falls in love. Pretty nice novel despite of all the unoriginal themes! (Tevis wrote also The Man Who Fell to Earth, the film of it starring David Bowie - I haven't been yet able to read or see it, is it good?)

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 13:58

Where it comes to fantasy books I really like The Dream Stone  by C.J. Cherryh. It's a bit Tolkien-like. For me it comes close to the Lord Of The Rings books in quality. It's not a very big book, but one of the best books I've ever read. Not as much storytelling as Tolkien. A bit more atmospheric and psychological. Very good though.

And I really like Jack Vance's Showboat World. Vance is a great storyteller and I love all the people he describes with all their strange habits.

Posted By: Empathy
Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 14:10

Have you ever read any Dan Simmons? If you haven't, you owe it to yourself to read the Hyperion series. Pure genius, IMO.

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Posted By: Empathy
Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 14:12

Imajica is brilliant. I loved Weaveworld and the Damnation Game as well. The last thing Barker wrote that I semi-liked was Coldheart Canyon.

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 15:54
Originally posted by Empathy Empathy wrote:

Imajica is brilliant. I loved Weaveworld and the Damnation Game as well. The last thing Barker wrote that I semi-liked was Coldheart Canyon.

Weaveworld is my best from Barker! I heard that they are gonna make a movie  based on that book!

Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 16:27

Originally posted by Matti Matti wrote:

As many of proggers seem to enjoy science fiction, I mention Walter Tevis' Mockinbird (1980) which I read lately. It's an interesting future vision, somewhat melancholic instead of being very dark like 1984. Population of mankind has decreased, no new babies have been born for decades, almost all the work is done by robots and people have regressed into dull drug addicts with not much other social activities than quick sex. The 3 main characters are the most humane and superior robot who wishes to 'die', a man who discovers long-gone reading skill, and an outcast woman with whom the man falls in love. Pretty nice novel despite of all the unoriginal themes! (Tevis wrote also The Man Who Fell to Earth, the film of it starring David Bowie - I haven't been yet able to read or see it, is it good?)

i have never met someone else who has also read that masterpiece.

Its almost like what Brave New World would be like in decay, a much better book though in my opinion.

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 17:18

Have you ever read any Dan Simmons? If you haven't, you owe it to yourself to read the Hyperion series. Pure genius, IMO.

I have read Simmons brilliant Hyperion series.I agree with you,pure genius

-------------

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: July 27 2005 at 00:53

Thumbs DownBookz iz fer loozerz!LOL

itsallaboutthewebchatthesedays

LOLTTYLGTG

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: July 28 2005 at 19:28
I'm currently on Book 3 of the five book Mallorean saga by David Eddings.  This is my second time reading this, but it's been a good 15 years since the last time I read this.

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: James Lee
Date Posted: July 29 2005 at 02:00
Just finished re-reading Lord Dunsany's "The Charwoman's Shadow". 
About to dive into "The Sound and the Fury" again...I didn't quite make it all the way through last time (or maybe I did, and I've forgotten ).

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/sollipsist/?chartstyle=kaonashi">

Date Posted: July 29 2005 at 15:35

Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

the film is supposed to be excellent. i can't find it anywhere though. i'm gonna check ebay.

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami is a really good book,the manga comics for BR SUCK,and the film is pretty good(if you like Japanese cinema).I have the English subtitled version.My father was a 30 year Navy man and spent all of it in the 7th Fleet(Pacific),and I was born in Subic Bay,Phillipines and spent years on Okinawa,Guam and Japan and really like Japanese culture,food,movies,comics and ANIME.

-------------

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 23:54
the Ring of Stars series by kate Elliot and A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin
Hopefully i'll get to read Feast for Crows soon

Posted By: USAGirl
Date Posted: July 31 2005 at 12:33

I read "Sleepers" by Lorenzo Carcaterra and "The Animal Hour" by Andrew Klavan lately. The first is an excellent book on the themes of friendship and revenge (4 boys who have been abused in a penitentiary for boys avenge themselves on their tormentors years later), the second starts out like some weird Hitchcock movie (how would you react if no-one recognized you anymore and, what's more, they even say you are not the person you claim to be?)Recommended reading.

-------------
Peace on Earth

Date Posted: July 31 2005 at 15:10
Sleepers is a very good book(wasn't real crazy about the movie).The Animal Hour sounds very interesting and I will definitely check it out.Thanks for the recommendation.

-------------

Posted By: nousommedusolei
Date Posted: July 31 2005 at 16:04

I just finished Hunter S. Thompson's "The Rum Diary". It's about his drunken romp in Puerto Rico in the late 1950s. A good way to look at his writing before his "Gonzo" journalism in the mid to late 60s. Reccommended, if you like twisted reading.

I just started "Ghost Rider" by Neil Peart. So far, so good.

As for as sci-fi/fantasy, I've read a lot of books by Robert Jordan and David Eddings. Also reccommended.

-------------
I don't believe in demons
I don't believe in devils
I only believe in you

Date Posted: July 31 2005 at 22:05
^ did you know the film version of "The Rum Diary" is in development (supposed to come out sometime next year)? For better or worse, it's a Johnny Depp pet project. I just hope it'll be more Gilliam-influenced and less Burton-influenced.

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 05:00
I have finished The River God and am now about halfway through a book called Gates of Fire by Stephen Pressfield.A very thoroughly researched,detailed account of the battle of Thermopylae,where 300 Spartan warriors fought to the death against Persian King Xerxes invading army and in the process killed 20,000 Persians.It offers a fascinating look at the Spartan way of life.Being a military history and ancient cultures buff this is right up my alley.After this I want to read Pressfield's newest book,which deals with Alexander the Great.

-------------

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 06:21
James Joyce:Ulysses

-------------

Posted By: nousommedusolei
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 18:55

Originally posted by James Lee James Lee wrote:

^ did you know the film version of "The Rum Diary" is in development (supposed to come out sometime next year)? For better or worse, it's a Johnny Depp pet project. I just hope it'll be more Gilliam-influenced and less Burton-influenced.

Ahh, thanks for letting me know. I'll be sure to see it when it comes out. Depp (most of the time) does a pretty good job, and knew Hunter well.

-------------
I don't believe in demons
I don't believe in devils
I only believe in you

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 19:30
^ yeah, like a lot of people I was dubious about Depp- he'll never quite live down 21 Jump Street or Nightmare on Elm Street, and why did they have to mess with Wonka? ...but he did a good job as the Doctor; at the very least, he was better than Bill Murray. There's a couple of hilarious anecdotes involving Depp in Kingdom of Fear- if JD had been a typical Hollywood weenie, he'd never have made it through the HST gauntlet .

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2005 at 02:23

Just started reading the Dark Tower Book 7:The Dark Tower.I am going to relish this book,read slowly and soak it all in because I have waited a long time for the climax of this series.Is anyone else here into The Dark Tower series?And if you have read this book please NO SPOILERS!!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2005 at 02:24
Kafka - Postume writing  and fragments I

-------------

Posted By: Pablo_P
Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 03:49
For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway.

-------------
Pablo P.

Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 04:23

^ yeah, like a lot of people I was dubious about Depp- he'll never quite live down 21 Jump Street or Nightmare on Elm Street, and why did they have to mess with Wonka? ...but he did a good job as the Doctor; at the very least, he was better than Bill Murray. There's a couple of hilarious anecdotes involving Depp in Kingdom of Fear- if JD had been a typical Hollywood weenie, he'd never have made it through the HST gauntlet .

and he's superb in fear and loathing in las vegas as well as ed wood.  definitely one of the best mainstream actors around at the moment.

on the wonka front; I think he did it for his kids more than anything.

-------------

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 07:48

Barker is really good.Have you ever read The Great and Secret Show
and it's sequel Everville?If you haven't you should.Imajica is good too.

Imajica is brilliant. I loved Weaveworld and the Damnation Game as
well. The last thing Barker wrote that I semi-liked was Coldheart
Canyon.

Weaveworld is my best from Barker! I heard that they are gonna make a movie  based on that book!

Weaveworld is one superbly written book! If they do make a film of it, though, who would play Immacolata?
Speaking of Barker, though, what ever happened to the second book in the 'Galilee' series? I was looking forward to the sequel!

Just started reading the Dark Tower Book 7:The Dark Tower.I am going to relish this book,read slowly and soak it all in because I have waited a long time for the climax of this series.Is anyone else here into The Dark Tower series?And if you have read this book please NO SPOILERS!!!!!

Read that one a little while ago - you won't be disappointed; even when it turns out that Roland is in fact a woman!

Damnn - sorry!

Originally posted by TheProgtologist, who appears to have an identical book habit/collection to me TheProgtologist, who appears to have an identical book habit/collection to me wrote:

]I think they have gotten better with each book.Starting with The Prisoner of Azkaban the story started to get very dark.I think with that book HP pretty much stopped being a "kids book".Have you read up to The Order of the Phoenix?If you have you have too keep on,don't you want to see how it all comes out in the end?Only one more book to go.

I've been hooked on HP since book 1 (no kids to blame it on, though ), my wife's just finished the latest book, but I'm currently engrossed in Robin Hobb's 'Liveship' trilogy (well and truly worth a read), so I've got one & a half books of those to go before I can get my yearly hit of Harry Potter - all Vicky will tell me is somebody dies!!!!

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: jitu
Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 07:57

snowgoose

-------------

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 13:00
Several Donald Duck pocet books

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Date Posted: August 20 2005 at 14:17
Reading Beyond The Blue Moon,the last book in a fantasy series by an excellent sci fi writer named Simon R. Green,who wrote the Deathstalker series(great books!!!!!).

-------------

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: August 20 2005 at 14:25
Contact by Carl Sagan  One of the BEST novels ever written.

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: August 20 2005 at 14:34

Did you ever read something by Stanslaw Lem?

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Date Posted: August 20 2005 at 20:59
Lem is incredible! My personal favorite is "Eden" (because parts of it are so eerie, I guess) but the philosophy and humor of "The Cyberiad" always blows me away.

-------------

Date Posted: August 21 2005 at 01:51
Finished N.V.Gogol - Dead Souls

Started Mario Vargas Llosa - The Storyteller

-------------

Date Posted: August 21 2005 at 01:53

Lem is incredible! My personal favorite is "Eden" (because parts of it are so eerie, I guess) but the philosophy and humor of "The Cyberiad" always blows me away.

Did you read "Memoirs Found in a Bathtub"? That's my personal favourite. Another excellent one is "The Futurological Congress". The first one is absolutely weird and creepy (a secret agent in the headquarter of a secret agency tries to find out what his mission is), the second absolutely hilarious.

-------------

Posted By: JrKASperov
Date Posted: August 21 2005 at 04:27
Of course, I'm going to point out the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. No book has ever hold as much philosophical absurdist humor that almost even weirded me out than this one.

Also, me and my wife have become quite pleased with all the Drizzt books by R.A. Salvatore. For those who don't know who Drizzt is, he's a character from the Forgotten Realms DnD setting. We currently have the first three collector's editions.

-------------
Epic.

Date Posted: August 21 2005 at 09:28
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Did you read "Memoirs Found in a Bathtub"? That's my personal favourite. Another excellent one is "The Futurological Congress". The first one is absolutely weird and creepy (a secret agent in the headquarter of a secret agency tries to find out what his mission is), the second absolutely hilarious.

In my memory I always confuse "Memoirs" with "Peace on Earth" but they're both wonderful. Anything with Ijon Tichy is always funny..."The Star Diaries" and "The Futurological Congress" especially. One of my favorites that I almost forgot about was "The Investigation" which is not really sci-fi at all but an eerie philosophical murder mystery with a focus on statistical probability!

On the other hand, I could never make it through "Imaginary Magnitude"...it's fascinating and funny but doesn't keep my interest. I'm still waiting to get "His Master's Voice" and "Mortal Engines" which I hear are excellent.

-------------

Posted By: sonic wizard
Date Posted: August 23 2005 at 14:09
I've recently finished The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Quite good, interesting insights about religeon. I'm nearly finished with Larry Niven's Ringworld, which is already one of my favorite books. Anyone else read any of Niven's books? I've read most of them.

-------------
Arguing on the internet is a lot like the special olympics - even if you win, you're still retarded.

Date Posted: August 23 2005 at 14:25
I love "Imaginary Magnitude" and the quite similar "A Perfect Vacuum". The first is a collection of introductions to fictitious books, the second a collection of reviews of fictitious books. The books he invents there are so hilarious. The best thing is the self-irony in these books; the first "introduction" or "review" are reserved for the book they appear in. (Lem was always very self-ironic).

-------------

Posted By: Dan Bobrowski
Date Posted: August 23 2005 at 14:31

I'm in the middle of the Chronicles of Narnia books from C.S. Lewis. I don't know how I missed out on them in my young days.

I always enjoy James Paterson's novels. His writting style is addictive and the books are hard to put down. I'm currently finishing up 3rd Degree.

LOTR is coming around for another read. I start with the Silmarillion and the Hobbit, then jump into the Fellowship and beyond. This while be my third time through it in the past few years.

Date Posted: August 23 2005 at 15:06
The Alice books by Lewis Carroll ("Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There"), with whom I share b-day, by the way (Jan 27th; not the year though lol) and the Oz books by L. Frank Baum are our favorite children's books (which is why we named our daughters Alice and Dorothy. Yes, we do have daughters; there is something like artificial insemination, guys.)

-------------

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: August 23 2005 at 15:28

I love "Imaginary Magnitude" and the quite similar "A Perfect Vacuum". The first is a collection of introductions to fictitious books, the second a collection of reviews of fictitious books. The books he invents there are so hilarious. The best thing is the self-irony in these books; the first "introduction" or "review" are reserved for the book they appear in. (Lem was always very self-ironic).

Lem is a true original. As good as all the works cited so far are, I still have a soft spot for the Cyberiad, one of the most engaging and original collections of stories I have ever read. Beautifully crafted, and as meaningful to me at 43 as it was when I was 13.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: Damen
Date Posted: August 23 2005 at 15:32
Just finished reading Notes From the Underground by Dostoyevsky

-------------
"It's amazing that we've been able to put up with each other for 35 years. Most marriages don't last that long these days."

-Chris Squire

Date Posted: August 23 2005 at 17:13

I am currently reading

"The Roaring Nineties" by Joseph E. Stiglitz (nobel prize winner in Economics)

very interesting so far

-------------

Date Posted: August 23 2005 at 17:43

Vatican Archives: An Inventory and Guide to Historical Documents of the Holy See

...bit of background research

-------------

Date Posted: August 23 2005 at 17:45
I'm reading Mallory's Le Morte d'Arthur

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Date Posted: August 23 2005 at 21:49
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Lem is a true original. As good as all the works cited so far are, I still have a soft spot for the Cyberiad, one of the most engaging and original collections of stories I have ever read. Beautifully crafted, and as meaningful to me at 43 as it was when I was 13.

One of my two main choices as well. I was going to ask if you'd read them in the original language, but I see you're from the UK. How did I come to think you were Polish?

-------------

Posted By: Scrambled_Eggs
Date Posted: August 23 2005 at 21:54
I just finished "The Iliad" and "The Odyssey" by Homer, and now I've moved on to "Seven Pilliars of Wisdom: A Triumph" by T.E. Lawrence.  Superb stuff!

-------------
And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I
don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying?
There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime.
I never said I was frightened of dying.

Date Posted: August 24 2005 at 15:23
Im curently reading the "Dune" series and "Nietzsche the man and his Philosophy" by RJ Holloway

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: August 24 2005 at 15:52
I have to reread Grapes of Wrath by John Steinback for school (which starts in like 7 days). I really like this epic American story, but however, it does get sh*tty when you have to read it for next year's classes. I'm dreading my return!  f**king stickies!

Date Posted: August 24 2005 at 16:18

Danbo:

The first film of the Chronicles of Narnia ("The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe") comes out this Christmas.  I got a sneak peak at the trailer, and it looks really awesome!

BaldFriede:

Lem has always been a favorite.  The Futurological Congress is great.  However, I'm shocked (! ) that you didn't mention his masterwork: Solaris.  Among the best sci-fi novels ever written. And the original film - not the remake (which stank!!) - was brilliant.

Other great sci-fi-ers: Asimov, Heinlein, Van Vogt, Clarke, LeGuin, Bester.

However, my new #1 fave is Philip Dick (who Lem called "his favorite writer").  The guy didn't know how to write a bad novel - or short story, for that matter.  Among other things, he wrote the original short stories on which the following films were based: Screamers (not a particularly good film), Imposter (a good film), Paycheck (a much-better-than-I-expected film), Total Recall (a great film), Minority Report (another great film) and, of course, Blade Runner (perhaps the greatest film of the 80s - and one of the greatest sci-fi films of all time).

All that said, I just finished reading Daniel Quinn's trilogy (Ishmael, The Story of B, My Ishmael) and James Redfield's trilogy (The Celestine Prophecy, The Tenth Insight, The Road to Shambala).  If anyone wants a serious eye-widening re humanity vis-a-vis history, anthropology, psychology and psycho-spiritualism, these six books will make your head spin.

Peace.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: August 24 2005 at 16:24

Dick is excellent too. I also recommend the brothers Strugatzki (Arkadi and Boris), if you like SF.

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: August 24 2005 at 17:31

Did you ever read something by Stanslaw Lem?

Sadly the only thing of Lem's I have read is Solaris.

-------------

Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 05:21

Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

One of my two main choices as well. I was going to ask if you'd read them in the original language, but I see you're from the UK. How did I come to think you were Polish?

Possibly the lack of vowels in my username?

-------------
'Like so many of you

Posted By: jitu
Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 05:25

outsider-colin wilson

-------------

Posted By: Matti
Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 06:09

I'm into science fiction again: Alfred Bester's The Demolished Man (1953). I was wondering if the film called "Demolition Man" is based on it... but luckily no (Stallone & Wesley Snipes  ). But I can't help Police's song playing in my head!    Anyway, the novel is a sf classic featuring 'espers', mind readers. It felt quite difficult to get into, but (I'm on page 62 of the translation) now the plot thickens deliciously. Will Ben Reich be caught guilty of murder or not... Almost like a "Crime & Punishment" of science fiction.

Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 06:18
Reminds me of a joke: A Pole goes to an ophthalmologist. He shows him a table with the letters CZYWRETNOSKI from top to bottom, getting smaller all the time, and asks him if he can read this. The Pole answers: "Can I read this? I know that guy!"

-------------

Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 10:59

BF:

Or the Polish terrorist who was told to blow up a car and burned his lips on the tailpipe...

Peace.

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 11:26
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

BF:

Or the Polish terrorist who was told to blow up a car and burned his lips on the tailpipe...

Peace.

Naughty..........

There was a flood in a village.

One man said to everyone, "I'll stay! God will save me!"

The flood got higher and a boat came and the man in it said "Come on mate, get in!"

"No" replied the man. God will save me!

The flood got very high now and the man had to stand on the roof of his house.

A helicopter soon came and the man offered him help."

No, God will save me!" he said

Eventually he died by drowning.

He got by the gates of heaven and he said to God "Why didn't you save me?"

God replied, "For goodness sake! I sent a boat and a helicopter. What more do you want!"

Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 18:36

BF: my wife is Polish (a bunch of CZKYs in her mother's maiden name) and she loved the opthalmologist joke. Thanks!

-------------

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 14:32

I read a book once; it was green, I think.

Has anyone else read that one? I think green books are the best -- though I suppose blue could be good too....Ermm

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: Dan Bobrowski
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 14:46

Enough of those Polish jokes, you swine.

When I was a young man in the U.S. Air Force I went to my first formation at my new base after basic training. My supervisor, MSGT Herbert, walked up to me, read my name tag, laughed and walked to the front of the room. He grabbed a chair and sat down. He called me forward, in front of 40 other Airmen, ordered me to parade rest (leg slightly apart and hands behind the back), and lifted a briefcase unto his lap. He opened the case and withdrew a thick pile of papers. They were the old dot print matix sheets. He held them up and, holding the top sheet, let them unfold. About twenty pages total. They were Polish jokes. For twenty minutes, he read each one, giving space for the collective group to laugh and howl. After he restored order and dismissed the other Airmen, he pulled me aside and told me his mother was Polish and personally loved Polish jokes. He broke the ice for me. I was instantly "okay" with the other guys.

Why did they close the Polish National Library?

Someone stole the book.  

Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 14:54
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

I read a book once; it was green, I think.

Has anyone else read that one? I think green books are the best -- though I suppose blue could be good too....Ermm

-------------
'Like so many of you

Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 14:55
Mircea Cartarescu - Orbitor :The Body

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 13:36
Right now reading Post Office by Charles Bukowski

-------------

Posted By: Cygnus X-1
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 13:54
last book i read was really a triology by Bernard Cornwell. The Grail Quest. All there books are awsome. It's about an english archer being put on a quest to find the supposed holy grail while avoiding death from the french and english and of course the scotts!

Read it!!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bodins/?chartstyle=DarkSide5Big">

Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 14:00
Sylvia Plath:Ariel and other poems...

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 17:14

Right now reading Post Office by Charles Bukowski

book

BTW i live in San Pedro his adopted home in Los Angeles.

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 17:19
I just finished Ben Bova's Orion.  What an awesome book.  An amnesia and time travel story rolled into one, where the lines between good and evil (god and satan) become very blurred. 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk