What was your first prog concert?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Top 10s and lists
Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=91353
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 03:42
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What was your first prog concert?
Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Subject: What was your first prog concert?
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 16:47
My first was Yes on the Big Generator tour in September of 1987. I saw Rush soon after that on the HYF tour.

Replies:
Posted By: knumorvid
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 17:12
Progressive Nation in 2009 with Dream Theater, Opeth, Bigelf and Unexpect. 

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 17:17
March, 1977-Ottawa Civic Center, Ottawa, Canada, Rush on the A Farewell To Kings tour

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 17:20
I guess AUTOGRAPH, in spring of 1980:  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2335" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2335 .

Did not know the word "prog" then, the band said they play art-rock.
Music seemed to me a bit too complex, but it had something - attractive, adventurous, beautiful. Tried not to miss their gigs after that.

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Posted By: ayreont
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 17:25
2009 Dream Theater in Lima, Peru

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 17:51
I think it was Rush, Presto tour (1990?).

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: ProgressiveAttic
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 17:52
Adrian Belew in Caracas, Venezuela 2005

-------------
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Posted By: Floyd Steely
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 17:54
Pink Floyd at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, 1988.

I was also at the Queensryche concert at the Dane County Coliseum where their "Operation: Livecrime" DVD was shot.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 18:06
Originally posted by Floyd Steely Floyd Steely wrote:

Pink Floyd at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, 1988.

I was also at the Queensryche concert at the Dane County Coliseum where their "Operation: Livecrime" DVD was shot.

HAHAHAHA ....

The Blues Magoos, The Who and Herman and the Hermits in the Dane County something or other ... have no idea what in 1968 or 1969. Later The Doors at the same place in Madison ... but Ben Vereen and Steve Miller ... were much more interesting running a muck in Madison! And in those days a couple of clubs were really hot, too!

For professive, Chicago, Sons of Champlin, Procol Harum in the days that they loved doing long cuts ... and it was cool to enjoy them, otherwise ... I would say that Pink Floyd at the Hollywood Bowl in 1972 would have been my "1st".  However, I do not consider a lot of that stuff not progressive, and find that the LA and SF scene was extremely progressive, and are not given credit for it. In those days, the long cuts that Santana, was doing, were far out. And the long cuts that the Grateful Dead were doing were also far out. And the 20 minute version of White Bird was also far out by It's a Beautiful Day ... but London is not king for me, and I don't thik the best. Babe Ruth was quite progressive and good at the Whiskey in 1972 for me, for example. Other than that .. .Tangerine Dream, and Nektar

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 19:21

September 22, 1972:  Yes with The Eagles, Arie Crown Theater, Chicago

======

The Eagles were fresh out of the gate, their two big singles at the time were "Take It Easy" and "Witchy Woman."  The audience quite enjoyed them, and they introduced the next act as "Our friends, The Yes."  (old fartes like me recall that some called the band "The Yes" in those days)

Yes then came out and shredded everyone's consciousness with their "Close To The Edge" tour material, post-Bruford.  Basically, if you saw the movie "Yessongs," you have a decent idea of how it went.  

This seems to be the setlist as I recall it:   http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/yes/1972/arie-crown-theater-chicago-il-63df369b.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/yes/1972/arie-crown-theater-chicago-il-63df369b.html

Squire in particular was amazing, he was all over the stage!!  He had a remarkable way of dancing and playing his Rick bass at the same time, I've only seen him do it that once...he traversed the width of the stage, and a roadie had to feed him his guitar cable by hand!  He was wearing those huge, thigh-high suede boots, a real attention-grabber!  

Howe was also amazing, playing his brown ES-345 Stereo guitar for much of the concert.   Wakeman was stunning in glitter cape and blonde hair probably as long as he ever wore it (past the middle of his back), it was the first time I'd ever seen stacked keyboards!!   

Anderson was, as always, magical.  White played the material as if he himself wrote it.   

Once the mirrored ball came down for "Close to the Edge," I was completely sucked in (I hadn't heard the LP before I saw this show).   Many good things resulted in my life from this experience.  

Posted By: zeqexes
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 19:52
I actually haven't gone to one yet...I've been to a few non-prog concerts though. I'm seeing Nightwish very soon though Big smile

-------------

Posted By: 2112R
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 19:57
Rush Time Machine Tour 2010 @ Jiffy Lube Live Center outside of D.C. Simply Fantastic... then Dream Theater in 2011 and 2012 on the Dramatic Tour of Events.. again fantastic! 

-------------
"All (the naked man) means is the abstract man against the masses. The red star symbolizes any collectivist mentality." - Neil Peart

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 20:03

Incredible show.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 21:10
Since I grew up in El Salvador, in Central America, I never had the chance to see any prog act in the 70s, since no band came over there at that time. I moved to the US in 1988, and I made a point to make my first prog concert a memorable one, with my favorite band of all time. So I went to see Jethro Tull in 1989, for the Rock Island tour, and I have to say, I was not disappointed, even though it was not in their golden days.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 21:40
If you count a proto-prog band, Led Zeppelin, Oakland Stadium, 1977.  If not, it was either Yes or Jethro Tull at the Oakland Arena, 1978.  My first concert ever was The Tubes, San Jose Auditorium, 1977 (I think).  Several tracks from the Yes performances are on The Word is Live album.  It was the Tormato tour and the first time they performed in the round.  I thought Tull would be kind of a mellow show, but when Martin Barre came on stage and started ripping into Minstrel in the Gallery, I knew how wrong I was.  It was a pleasant surprise.  Led Zeppelin was rather off playing an afternoon show, but both Derringer and Judas Priest (on their first west coast tour) tore it up.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Sumdeus
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 21:41
I think the only prog show i've ever been to was when Roger Waters did Dark Side Of The Moon a few years back... it's too bad I was born long after the prime of my favorite bands...

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 21:51
Rush's 2007 Snakes and Arrows tour. I was 13. Smile

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 21:53
Camel, in Denmark, Summer 1982.   They opened with Sasquatch.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: bobthenob
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 23:06
Genesis at the Roxy in Hollywood: 2 shows a nite for 3 nites (they were the first act to play there). First concert was Black Sabbath, Yes, and Wild Turkey at The Forum in Inglewood CA. Got to see ALL the icons of the golden era, excepting VdGG, as they never toured the west. Saw Mr Hammill however, at The Troubador. Yes, Camel, PFM, Gentle Giant, Barclay James Harvest, ELP, RLO, Roxy Music, Nektar, Hawkwind, Floyd, Moody Blues, King Crimson (with The Strawbs opening), Zepplin, UK, Tull......damn, those were good times. And tix were less than $10.00 usually.

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: January 06 2013 at 23:21
Rush. I was in the 8th grade. Tampa, Florida. This was... 1981. I was 13 yrs old. Yikes. MOVING PICTURES had just come out. It was my first concert ever. My parents dropped me and my little brother off to see it. It wasn't what I expected at all. For one thing, there was this horrible smell and smoke in the air, I couldn't breathe, it was clearly pot. Secondly, the band members never moved from their spots, never showed any kind of passion. I guess I was expecting smashed guitars, Geddy Lee to breathe fire (a la Kiss), or something. The songs sounded just like the albums, which also disapointed me a bit.

Perhaps because of that experience, I didn't go to many arena-type concerts after that. I saw Floyd in a stadium in D.C. after A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF STADIUM. Again, a bit disapointing. I was so far away, I could barely see the band. (Floyd's still my favorite band in the world, but let's face it, it's headphone music.)

My greatest experiences have been in small, crowded clubs watching punk and post-punk bands playing in Europe. In France I saw a post-rock Mogwai-type band playing a hypnotic set, and I was so close I could've jumped on stage. That's the way live music should be experienced.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 00:06
1976 Frágil en la Concha Acústica del campo de Marte, I was 12

-------------

Posted By: Thkasabrk
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 00:37
Mine was Jethro Tull, Long Beach, California April 1977. Songs From The Wood tour.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 01:54
Peter Gabriel at Earls Court about 1992 after the release of Us. Didn't feel like a prog gig especially with a guest appearance by Sinead O'Connor.
I only started going to prog gigs well into my 30's. I guess Yes around about 1996 at Cardiff International Arena might have been my first.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 02:00
Rainbow in... I think it was 1982. It was the New Wave of British Heavy Metal and my friends were into metal in general, and they took me along that route.

Well, Rainbow probably isn't vintage prog, but rather prog related. Okay, I went to the Genesis Invisible Touch tour in 1987. I had no prog friends back then, so I went all by myself. 

Okay, the Genesis concert wasn't really proggy either. First 100% bona fide prog concert then was probably Pink Floyd in (I think) 1988, the Momentary Lapse Of Reason tour. It was absolutely fantastic.

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 03:04
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Rainbow in... I think it was 1982.

I think I saw them on the same tour at The Rainbow in London - Joe Lynn Turner on vocals & supported by Rose Tattoo; when asked how Rainbow was, the standard answer I gave was 'Rose Tattoo were good'

My 1st prog gig was a little one a couple of years earlier - Pink Floyd at earls Court; 1st night they played The Wall in London... stunning! Mind you, when I saw Roger Waters play The Wall last year at the O2 in London, I think it was actually better...

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 06:56
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

My greatest experiences have been in small, crowded clubs watching punk and post-punk bands ....
Ditto for me.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Ady Cardiac
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 07:06
peter gabriel at birmingham NEC when i was 14.......doing his SO tour....

after that....give it a few years and then it was cardiacs in oxford.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 07:23
The Tea Party 1993

-------------

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 08:18
I saw rush in 2005. Then the next Prog show I went to was my band in 2008. I don't get out much.

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 08:22
Pink Floyd, Rotterdam, NL, 19 February 1977 (Animals tour).

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 08:30
Not sure. For now I will say Genesis Duke Tour in Cardiff.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 08:54
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I saw that tour at The Lyceum.

My first gig was Motörhead at Deeside Leisure Centre in 1978. I saw the final Led Zep gig at Knebworth, but I suppose the first "proper" prog gig was Genesis.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 08:58
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I saw that tour at The Lyceum.

My first gig was Motörhead at Deeside Leisure Centre in 1978. I saw the final Led Zep gig at Knebworth, but I suppose the first "proper" prog gig was Genesis.

Most of my first bands were Punk/ New Wave but I might have seen Hackett before genesis. Must check the dates. Interestingly Genesis were the last band to play at Sophia Gardens in cardiff before snow on the roof caused it to collapse. The veniue was knocked down and never replaced. it is a car park now.

Wait. If Genesis was last then I saw Hawklords there before them. But for real Prog, it's Genesis.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 09:08
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Fillmore East (NYC), April 30, 1971.  Openng act(s) Curved Air & Edgar Winter's White Trash.

Posted By: refugee
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 09:21
Supertramp, Oslo 1977 (Even in the Quietest Moments)
ELO, Oslo 1977 (Out of the Blue)
Genesis, Oslo 1978 (And Then There Were Three)

Great memories!

-------------
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 09:37
Ian Anderson & Co. at a country-festivalConfused in Arendal last summer was my first prog concert. It was part of the TAAB tour, but they didn't do the full TAAB and TAAB2 that time, 'cause of the nature of the festival, I guess. I've also seen Anathema, and IA & Co. again (doing the full TAAB and TAAB2 this time), after that.

Next summer my dad and I will see Roger Waters' The Wall. Just bought the tickets! I'm no great fan of The Wall album, or PF in general for that matter, but my dad likes them, and especially The Wall, so it'll be nice seeing that with him.

-------------

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 09:39
Yes, In the present Tour (2009).

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: King Manuel
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 11:32

9 October 1994, Cape Town: Jethro Tull (25th Anniversary Tour)

This was in fact the first real rock concert of an interantional artist I saw. Growing up down South in Africa we where not blessed with too many opportunities to see international artists, let alone Prog artists.

-------------
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 14:29
My first prog gig as I have said before was Genesis at Knebworth in 1978 on the And then there were three..... tour aged 14.  I was sitting just behind Dean who was lobbing bottles at Devo earlier on during the day.  I thought they were excellent but some of the less 'progressive' Genesis fans took a disliking to this 'punk' music for some reason.  As Brand X were on the bill I guess I should say they were the first prog band I saw live.  Luckily I have an older sister without whom I would never have been allowed to go. 

Enclosed vid with photos of crowd including the luxurious toilet facilities Dean once again pissing up against the fence!  I don't know you can't take him anywhere! 

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 16:33
If we are counting Rainbow then Difficult To Cure tour in '81 at Leeds Queens Hall

If not then Hawkwind in 82 on the Choose Your Masques tour at Newcastle City Hall

I was also at the Reading Rock Festival in 1982 which featured - Iron Maiden, MSG, Budgie, & Marillion

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 18:34
Rush: June 30th, 2011. Rogers Arena, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. 

Posted By: otto pankrock
Date Posted: January 07 2013 at 19:01
Santana Maple Leaf Gardens Jan. or Feb. of '78. Yes in the same venue in '79.

Date Posted: January 08 2013 at 01:57
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Fillmore East (NYC), April 30, 1971.  Openng act(s) Curved Air & Edgar Winter's White Trash.
you total total b*****dLOL

Date Posted: January 08 2013 at 02:38
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

As a moderator, I'd usually caution you against personal abuse, but in this case, I have to say I agree with you; dwill123, you are a complete & utter UTTER poohead

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: January 08 2013 at 02:40
Thinking about it - ELP, Curved Air & Edgar Winter?

Once all the keyboards were set up, was there any room on stage for the other musicians?

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: January 08 2013 at 03:33
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Thinking about it - ELP, Curved Air & Edgar Winter?

Once all the keyboards were set up, was there any room on stage for the other musicians?

LOL

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: January 08 2013 at 03:38

Seconded!

Strictly speaking it was the Spanish Symphonic-Fusion band Fusioon, with my family in 1975 or 1976, aged 9 or 10, but I don't remember much of it except that I was impressed, especially by the drums (they had one of the best Spanish drummers Santi Arisa).

Not with my family but with friends I think the first was AC/DC Back In Black tour in 1980 (aged 14) and then some other non-prog concerts (Hard-Rock & Heavy mainly).

Truly Prog I think Marillion's Misplaced Childhood tour in 1985. 

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: January 08 2013 at 03:44
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

My greatest experiences have been in small, crowded clubs watching punk and post-punk bands playing in Europe. In France I saw a post-rock Mogwai-type band playing a hypnotic set, and I was so close I could've jumped on stage. That's the way live music should be experienced.
Agreed but not with punk bands please, Prog!  LOL and better if not too crowded.
That's one good thing of Prog not being very popular since the 80's, I have seen many good Prog bands in really small venues, just in front of the stage, lovely concerts!

During Pink Floyd's Momentary Lapse Of Reason tour concert in a very big stadium it was so crowded I could barely breathe and I consumed so much substances that I fainted and my friends had to carry me away to the very back where there was some air, I missed 1/4 of the concert Cry

Posted By: kimmokristian84
Date Posted: January 08 2013 at 03:46
Few years ago Porcupine Tree`s Fear of the Blank Planet Tour concert in Helsinki.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: January 08 2013 at 06:22
It would be the Summers End Festivel at Bilstons Robin 2, back in September 2006.

So that would be Ezra, Credo, White Willow (particularly glad to have seen these guys and gals), Srangefish, Pendragon, Darwins Radio, Guy Manning acoustic set, Flamborough Head, Also Eden and The Flower Kings over the weekend.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: January 08 2013 at 12:54

As a moderator, I'd usually caution you against personal abuse, but in this case, I have to say I agree with you; dwill123, you are a complete & utter UTTER poohead
I must be showing my age because I have no idea what any of you are talking about Question

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: January 08 2013 at 12:56

I must be showing my age because I have no idea what any of you are talking about Question

They're green with envy.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: January 08 2013 at 12:59
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

They're green with envy.
Oh ok, thanks.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: January 08 2013 at 13:03
 CCI00004.jpg

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: January 09 2013 at 07:58
Jethro Tull at Madison Square Garden on the Warchild Tour. Was a sophomore in high school. Still one of the great concert memories of my life. Long set-over 2 hours and they still had lengthy sections of TAAB and PP in the set along with all of Warchild and classics from Agualing and Benefit.

Posted By: Pietro Otello Romano
Date Posted: January 09 2013 at 08:36
It was in the far away 1979, and I am not really sure if was the amazing 3 hours concert of Roxy Music in castel St Angelo in Rome, or the concert of Banco del Mutuo Soccorso always in Rome, of the tour of *canto di Primavera"Unhappy

-------------
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful

what we pretend to be."

Mother Night - Kurt Vonnegut

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 09 2013 at 15:32
Hawkwind at The Majestic in Reading, UK. December 1986.

It was the loudest noise I'd ever heard in my life. At 16 it was quite a scary experience, being surrounded by bikers and hippies openly doing all manner of drugs. I was quite innocent. Great gig though. Glad I got to see them with Huw Lloyd Langton.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: fusaka
Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 13:14
Yes "Union" in april 1991 at Le Colisée in Quebec City. They came back after the roadies had begun to put away the instruments because there was too much applause and nobody had left. They played Starship Trooper, and Steve Howe wasn't there, he was back in his car! He told that story and apologized to us when he played a solo show here two years later.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/fusaka/" rel="nofollow - my last.fm

Posted By: AlanB
Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 13:19
Depends if you count Wishbone Ash circa 1972 as prog - if so that was my first prog gig (and my first gig of any type)

If not, then I saw Procol Harum whilst I was at uni - that would be either 1975 or 76.

And if they don't count, it would be Camel around 1978

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 13:32
Originally posted by fusaka fusaka wrote:

Yes "Union" in april 2001 at Le Colisée in Quebec City. They came back after the roadies had begun to put away the instruments because there was too much applause and nobody had left. They played Starship Trooper, and Steve Howe wasn't there, he was back in his car! He told that story and apologized to us when he played a solo show here two years later.

Wasn't the Union tour in '91? I saw three shows that year. 1 in Oakland which was the only "in the round" version I saw. The second round I saw them at Concord and Mountain View.

I think the first prog band I saw was Rush on the Presto tour 89.

Before that was all punk and metal shows.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 13:34
Yeah 91...brain cramp. Corrected the post.

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 13:58
Too bad, I was really hoping I was 10 years younger than I thought.

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 14:21
@Tapfret
Don't we all

-------------

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 15:07
Looking at a lot of these lists makes me envious. When I started to go to a lot of gigs, I was deep into thrash and death metal, thus the first show I saw concerning a band within these archives was Death in 1990, but of course they weren't playing anything considered 'prog' back then.Tongue

I got into more alternative stuff in the early 90's and saw Tool in 1994 in a club, but again, Undertow is hardly progressive compared to later releases.

Thus I suppose the first first show I attended that could be considered actual 'prog' in a liberal sense would be Dead Can Dance in 2005.

This thread has me itching to check out more full-fledged prog shows.

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 19:34
My first prog-related concert was Phish in 2011, which was quite an experience. My first strictly-prog concert was Dream Theater with the Crimson ProjecKt last summer (2012).

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 19:55
PR: Sabbath 83 Headbanger
P: Yes 84Stern Smile

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2013 at 01:26
Well then. if PR is up for discussion...1989 I saw Metallica and Primus. Not sure which was first. 

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: March 04 2013 at 02:04
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

My first prog gig as I have said before was Genesis at Knebworth in 1978 on the And then there were three..... tour aged 14.  I was sitting just behind Dean who was lobbing bottles at Devo earlier on during the day.  I thought they were excellent but some of the less 'progressive' Genesis fans took a disliking to this 'punk' music for some reason.  As Brand X were on the bill I guess I should say they were the first prog band I saw live.  Luckily I have an older sister without whom I would never have been allowed to go. 

Enclosed vid with photos of crowd including the luxurious toilet facilities Dean once again pissing up against the fence!  I don't know you can't take him anywhere! 
LOL (only just seen this) ... I think you'll find it was Starship on the receiving end of my displeasure, I rather liked Devo.

from an older thread:
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Electric Light Orchestra, Northampton Cricket Club Clubhouse, 1970/1(?)
This was their first tour as a band and Jeff Lynne and Bev Bevan were still a part of The Move at the time; the cellists didn't have their electric cellos and most of the tunes didn't even have proper titles (the working titles Jeff Lynne announced them as are unprintable here). I saw the Move and Wizzard at the same venue a few weeks either side of this gig (I was a major Move fan at the time) and one of my all-time favourite groups, The Kinks, a month or two later. Support was by a three-piece local band called Orphan, who dressed in brightly coloured workman's overalls and the only thing I can remember with any certainty is that they covered Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive surprisingly better than I first feared when they announced it.

Pink Floyd, Empire Pool Wembley 1972.

This was the premier tour for Dark Side of the Moon - I was 15 and had been a Floyd fan for a couple of years already, but this was the first time I'd seen them live. It really did change my life. I saw Floyd on every tour after that up to The Wall at Earls Court in 1980 (attended by several other forum members as I recall from a previous thread), but you never forget your first time...

...£1.50 to see Pink Floyd.

-------------
What?

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: March 04 2013 at 23:17
Kansas (1977) was my first.  But I want to say that I saw Yes at the LA Forum on the "Going For The One" tour, also in 1977 (September, actually).  In my remembrance, this is the absolutely BEST concert I have ever been to.  And, it just so happened to be a Prog concert featuring Yes.  God, that was an absolutely great evening...

Posted By: Morning of Ashes
Date Posted: March 05 2013 at 21:19
I saw ELP in Little Rock in 1973, shortly before I turned 16.  Keith Emerson shooting fireballs out over the audience; I was hooked for life. 

Posted By: Canterzeuhl
Date Posted: March 06 2013 at 00:27
I saw 'Ian Anderson plays the Christmas Jethro Tull' at Exeter Cathedral in 2009.

But he didn't play Solstice Bells, what's up with that?!!?

Posted By: BlackenedGass
Date Posted: March 07 2013 at 13:15
Roger Waters performing Dark Side of the Moon in Manchester 2009. Phenomenal show, my obsession with Prog started there!

Posted By: horza
Date Posted: March 07 2013 at 13:34
Steve Hillage- Open tour - Glasgow Apollo 1979

followed by

Rush - Permanent Waves tour - Glasgow Apollo 1980

Genesis - Duke tour - Glasgow Apollo 1980

a great way to start my prog journey

-------------
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 07 2013 at 13:50
First prog concert - Genesis at the Hamersmith Odeon, Friday June 11th 1976.Cost £1.50!

If my memory is correct this was the Trick of the Tail tour. It was definitely Collins, not Gabriel.

Posted By: dysoriented
Date Posted: March 07 2013 at 14:22
Dream Theater- England, UK

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: March 08 2013 at 05:46
My first PA artists would prob be Jukka Tolonen, 1975-76 i guess. He played a lot in Copenhagen at the time.
My first major PA artist was :
Jethro Tull in "Tivolis koncertsal" 27 juli 1977 - great show !!

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 08 2013 at 05:51
If Uriah Heep counts, then it was at a place called Viften in 1996. I was 14.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 08 2013 at 16:39
PINK FLOYD - Momentary Lapse tour - 1987 - I was 15 !!  Was really impressed they resurrected 'One Of These Days', Pratt did an admirable job of it.

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: March 08 2013 at 23:09
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

PINK FLOYD - Momentary Lapse tour - 1987 - I was 15 !!  Was really impressed they resurrected 'One Of These Days', Pratt did an admirable job of it.
That was probably my first one as well.  I was 18.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 14:55
'91 Yes Union tour. Birmingham NEC. Brilliant concert!

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Posted By: Elric.345
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 16:32
In the late 70s - beginning of the 80s, after I had left school, I got to see a quite a few good prog bands, such as Camel, Jethro Tull, Genesis twice, Tangerine Dream, Rush three times, mostly in the City Hall Newcastle, but I do remember seeing  Steve Hackett at Reading Rock Festival - It was a barmy summers night and his guitar just soared across the night sky - fantastic ! I think my very first prog gig out of all of them was Rush Hemesphere tour. I saw many other bands at that time, referenced under prog related, it used to be a band a fortnight.

Posted By: Chozal
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 17:03
Steven Wilson in London, not a month ago.

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Infinite-Progability-Drive/141225469388975" rel="nofollow - The Infinite Progability Drive , feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 19:51
Not my first shows but from my stub collection.
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/8161/Dregss.jpg
I went to a few Dregs concerts back in the day.  Don't tell anyone but I was at several, Agora Ballroom shows before I was old enough to be there.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Jbird
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:36
Rush - 20 February 1981 at Wings Stadium, Kalamazoo, MI. Special guest was Max Webster.

It was also my first ever rock concert, at age 16 Smile

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: March 30 2013 at 14:44
My 1st prog concert was July '76 : Yes and opener Gentle Giant at the Cow Palace in San Francisco.  I remember getting there at about 4am to get a good spot in line.  This was the Yes solo album tour with Patrick Moraz and I still remember him doing this incredible organ solo.  The Roger Dean stage design was the 3 headed hydra and was the last tour Yes had an elaborate stage. 

One month later I saw Jethro Tull with openers Rory Gallagher and Electric Light Orchestra at the Oakland Coliseum.

My 1st concert was 1 month before Yes when I saw The Tubes at the San Jose Center for the Performing Arts...they blew my 15 year old mind LOL

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: fusionfreak
Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 16:53
Magma in june 1999 near Brest 
By the way last year I had the pleasure to see Ian Anderson in Quimper(25 kms from my hometown)for TAAB 2 tour:it was great and in july 2013 Steve Hackett will play at the same venue.I'm really eager to see him!

-------------
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king

Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 18:33
I saw Steve Hackett in '92 at a small club in Northern California.  The best part of the show for me was the encore...Steve came out alone with a classical guitar and played about 20 minutes of unaccompanied classical pieces.  

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: celestialsound
Date Posted: April 02 2013 at 07:58
Progressive Nation 2009: Scale the Summit (How I got into them) Bigelf (meh) Zappa Plays Zapps (incredible) and of course, Dream Theater

Posted By: Melomaniac
Date Posted: April 03 2013 at 15:18
1989 or 1990, at the Montreal Forum, my first prog concert was Rush, during the Presto Tour, with Voivod as an opening act, when they were touring for Nothingface.  Amazing double bill !

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Posted By: fusionfreak
Date Posted: April 09 2013 at 16:43
I've just bought my ticket for Steve Hackett(july the 26th).Coutdown has begun!

-------------
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: April 09 2013 at 16:47
Rush, September 2012

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: MJAben
Date Posted: April 09 2013 at 17:51
Originally posted by celestialsound celestialsound wrote:

Progressive Nation 2009: Scale the Summit (How I got into them) Bigelf (meh) Zappa Plays Zapps (incredible) and of course, Dream Theater

Huh, oddly enough this was the first concert I paid for...

Though my dad took me to see Genesis when I was a kid before that.

-------------
The anteater is the worlds fastest land mammal.

Posted By: AreYouHuman
Date Posted: April 12 2013 at 20:37
My first prog concert, and first concert ever, was ELP, June 1977 at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis. I was stationed there with the Navy for a few weeks for training, and I heard some of the guys mention that ELP was in town tonight. My immediate reaction: “I’m going!” Since we bought the tickets that night, it was hardly the best seat in the house, but still very memorable. This was early in their Works I tour, when they had the orchestra and choir conducted by Godfrey Salmon.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 12 2013 at 21:20
This thread deserve some

-------------

Date Posted: April 13 2013 at 07:15
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

My first prog concert, and first concert ever, was ELP, June 1977 at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis. I was stationed there with the Navy for a few weeks for training, and I heard some of the guys mention that ELP was in town tonight. My immediate reaction: “I’m going!” Since we bought the tickets that night, it was hardly the best seat in the house, but still very memorable. This was early in their Works I tour, when they had the orchestra and choir conducted by Godfrey Salmon.

Cool.  I saw them 2 months later in Oakland after they dropped the orchestra.  I remember they opened with Karn Evil 9 1st Imp Pt 2 with Lake singing, "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends..."  My seats were pretty lousy but I didn't care, it was ELP!

At one point in the show Keith was having some problems and a road tech came out and was working on his setup between songs.  Keith steps up to the mic and says, "I'm having a little organ trouble...bet you can all get into that." LOL

-------------

Posted By: JocBT
Date Posted: April 13 2013 at 15:59
First prog concert was two days ago in Toronto. Saw Yes and it was absolutely incredible. I think all the hate that Jon Davison gets is so unnecessary. At this point, he is so much better off in the band than Jon Anderson, as the hostility between him and everyone else is awesome. Davison is the perfect replacement (much better than Benoit). His voice on the Going for the One songs was absolutely perfect, I couldn't have imagine seeing a better first prog concert.

Date Posted: April 14 2013 at 02:40
Originally posted by JocBT JocBT wrote:

First prog concert was two days ago in Toronto. Saw Yes and it was absolutely incredible. I think all the hate that Jon Davison gets is so unnecessary. At this point, he is so much better off in the band than Jon Anderson, as the hostility between him and everyone else is awesome. Davison is the perfect replacement (much better than Benoit). His voice on the Going for the One songs was absolutely perfect, I couldn't have imagine seeing a better first prog concert.

Wasn't aware of any hate towards Jon Davison. Is that on Yes forums?

If you like Davison you should ckech out the last 3 Glass Hammer albums. All are very lovely and Davison is just wonderfulApprove

Posted By: humor4u1959
Date Posted: April 17 2013 at 16:32
My first prog concert was Genesis on 'The Lamb' tour. I saw them on Thanksgiving of 1974 when I was 15. It was incredible!

Date Posted: April 17 2013 at 19:23
Originally posted by humor4u1959 humor4u1959 wrote:

My first prog concert was Genesis on 'The Lamb' tour. I saw them on Thanksgiving of 1974 when I was 15. It was incredible!

Wow, what a great start!  Has anything you've seen since matched The Lamb?

-------------

Posted By: AreYouHuman
Date Posted: April 17 2013 at 20:35
The.Crimson.King said:
At one point in the show Keith was having some problems and a road tech came out and was working on his setup between songs. Keith steps up to the mic and says, "I'm having a little organ trouble...bet you can all get into that.   

When I saw them, Keith did a solo during “Hoedown” on a theremin or like device, handling it in a “shocking” manner! More organ trouble?

The.Crimson.King said:
My 1st prog concert was July '76 : Yes and opener Gentle Giant at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. I remember getting there at about 4am to get a good spot in line. This was the Yes solo album tour with Patrick Moraz and I still remember him doing this incredible organ solo. The Roger Dean stage design was the 3 headed hydra and was the last tour Yes had an elaborate stage.

Didn’t get the chance to see Yes until the 1991 Union tour. They came to Indianapolis while I was there in 1977, but it was after I had to move on, this being the Navy. Luckily they were playing in the Norfolk, VA area, but I was new there, and poor planning brought on by own inexperience made me miss that one. Next chance was the Big Generator tour in 1987, but several dates, including the one in Grand Rapids, MI, were cancelled due to Trevor Rabin’s health issues (his gallbladder, if I remember correctly). So if there was THE tour to catch them on, it had to be Union!

Bill Bruford was a busy chap around that time; he’d just played in the area about 6 months before with Earthworks.

humor4u1959 said:

Ooooo! SO green with envy!!!!

I so wanted to see Genesis on the Lamb tour in the spring of ‘75, but didn’t know anyone who was going and otherwise lacked the wherewithal to get there. A little over a year later they returned to the area, sans Gabriel…still didn’t get the chance.

The.Crimson.King said:
I saw Steve Hackett in '92 at a small club in Northern California. The best part of the show for me was the encore...Steve came out alone with a classical guitar and played about 20 minutes of unaccompanied classical pieces.

Even greener!!!! He might have played in GR on that same tour, but his management missed the mark so inexcusably. He’s well aware he has plenty of fans in west Michigan, where he likely would’ve sold out a decent-sized hall.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk