Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=91486
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 11:04
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Al Di Meola vs Santana
Posted By: Kati
Subject: Al Di Meola vs Santana
Date Posted: January 12 2013 at 18:50
Who do you prefer, this is hard because I was completely taken by Santana with Abraxas album and once I heard Al Di Meola's Race with the Devil on a Spanish Highway from Elegant Gypsy album I was blown away whooohaaa!!!!!! Al is El Magico for me, my favorite and who do you like most? Smile 
P.S. Abraxas is also interesting because it was one of the only albums ever released in quadrophonic. Dark side was another!  

Replies:
Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: January 12 2013 at 18:51
Al for me. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: January 12 2013 at 18:55
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Al for me. 

Horizons SmileHug

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: January 12 2013 at 19:20
Easily Carlos, i just prefer his style way more.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: January 12 2013 at 19:26
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Mellotron Storm, hello you HugSmile
The problem with Santana for me is that he over commercialized himself, I can no longer listen to Black Magic Women, it annoys me now, plus it is a Peter Green track originally. Heart

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: January 12 2013 at 19:30
DiMeola for me.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 12 2013 at 21:13
Santana, though mostly for the highs not the overall career.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: January 12 2013 at 21:13
well I like both but actually listened to Al way more---Carlos is great just too commercial for me---plus  Al is Italian and so am I-LOL

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: January 12 2013 at 23:29
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Who do you prefer, this is hard because I was completely taken by Santana with Abraxas album and once I heard Al Di Meola's Race with the Devil on a Spanish Highway from Elegant Gypsy album I was blown away whooohaaa!!!!!! Al is El Magico for me, my favorite and who do you like most? Smile 
P.S. Abraxas is also interesting because it was one of the only albums ever released in quadrophonic. Dark side was another!  

CARAVANSERAI's even better! Alors, Santana pour moi.

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: January 12 2013 at 23:30
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Santana, though mostly for the highs not the overall career.

Exactement.

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: January 12 2013 at 23:34
Reminding me that I need to listen to more of both of them...

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: January 12 2013 at 23:48
I find this one hard.  Di Meola's catalog is more progressive but when Santana is spot on, he's better than Al.  My wife and I don't have too many artists in common, but Santana's more recent venture into popland (Supernatural, etc.) are good common ground on road trips. :)

Al hasn't done anything as beautiful as Europa... 

Although if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear it. Big smile

I've got more Al than Carlos in my collection...

On a side note, fans of both should really check out Phil Manzanera's solo stuff...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 00:05
Great idea for a poll.. They both have that spanish flair to them... Hmm... Actually really tough!!

I'll go with Santana because album-wise Santana is more... complete. Everything goes together so well.. Al Di Meola has great individual songs.

-------------
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 00:54
Of course both are phenomenal guitar players, the question is who moves me the most? and that would be Mr. Santana.

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 01:29
No vote for me. Either can play a bad ass guitar. Both have left their mark on music, just in different genres. I wish that I could have seen either one play at one point in my life.

Posted By: Sumdeus
Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 04:25
Al Di Meola is more technically skilled but Santana has always been one of my favorite guitarists and I would say makes better music. I find it hard to listen to too much Al Di Meola cause it's just so focused on being technical. 

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 06:54
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

Al Di Meola is more technically skilled but Santana has always been one of my favorite guitarists and I would say makes better music. I find it hard to listen to too much Al Di Meola cause it's just so focused on being technical. 

You could not have expressed my own views more perfectly.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 09:17
Even though he is loosing this, Al DiMeola is way accomplished  guitarist than Carlos Santana.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 09:28
The only album I own by Al di Meola that really touches me on an emotional level, is the acoustic live album from San Francisco with John McLoughlin and Paco de Lucia, and that is mostly down to Paco actually.
I prefer Santana big time. My fave from him will always be Lotus

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: gents
Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 11:50

I'm sorry................i can't think.....i'm in love with your avatar

Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 11:55
Shout out to my favorite Santana album:

favorite Di Meola is harder:
This will be controversial, but for diversity and quantity:

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 11:57

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Mellotron Storm, hello you HugSmile
The problem with Santana for me is that he over commercialized himself, I can no longer listen to Black Magic Women, it annoys me now, plus it is a Peter Green track originally. Heart
I prefer both in a band setting as opposed to solo. Di Meola with RETURN TO FOREVER and Santana with SANTANA. Sure Di Meola is as impressive as hell, he's so fast and fluid but i prefer some nasty in my guitarists and i can get that with Carlos. Like at Woodstock or his album with McLauglin or his studio stuff with SANTANA at times.
And hi Sonia HugSmile

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 12:02
Hey, that's kinda unfair as Santana's band was called Santana.  Di Meola's wasn't called Return To Di Meola. Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 12:08
This is one of my favourite performances. I know Carlos was on acid and that he thought his guitar was a snake, but the sheer fire and adventure steaming through this rendition is unmatched anywhere. (Also, I love the fact that he looks like a rodent during the tune. Man he's wastedLOL)

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 12:12
I owe a great debt to both of these guys musically speaking.  Fun fact: Roller Jubilee was used in a Minute Rice commercial.  Heheheheh.

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 12:17
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

This is one of my favourite performances. I know Carlos was on acid

I'm sure most people were buzzed on something.  Wanna play name the musician and what where they buzzed on? Tongue  OK we have Santana on LSD...

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 12:19
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

This is one of my favourite performances. I know Carlos was on acid

I'm sure most people were buzzed on something.  Wanna play name the musician and what where they buzzed on? Tongue  OK we have Santana on LSD...

We have Lou on, and here I'm obviously speculating, coke:

Too bad the clip isn't longerLOL

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 12:34
And don't forget about David Hasselhoff totally drunk trying to eat a burger! LOL

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 12:53
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

CARAVANSERAI's even better! Alors, Santana pour moi.
This album alone gives Santana the edge for me.  It's unreal.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 13:21
everyone at woodstock was on acid. that's why most of the performances are so spectacular. 

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 14:35
Okay that was just weird. I'm watching the Atlanta / Seattle game on TV and as they go to commercial they played the instrumental start of Black Magic Woman.

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 15:01

The problem with Santana for me is that he over commercialized himself.
I fully agree with this even though I have come to a greater appreciation for Carlos in the last few years.  Have you heard Shape Shifter?  It is almost all instrumental and definitely a return to the early days.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 15:09
no matter how commercial Santana may have gotten, the classic Santana records from the 60's and 70's beat any Al Di Meola for me. as well, I would point out that Al Di Meola got pretty dull and predictable in the 80's and 90's as well.

-------------

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 15:18
Santana's good, don't get me wrong, but Al is way more innovative and accomplished - a great inspiration as a guitar player. Return To Forever and Elegant Gypsy album really blew me away the first time I listened to them - I hadn't head playing that fast and deleterious before that. It would influence a generation of shredders to come. Approve

-------------

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 17:29
Imo, Al's technically better but Carlos' music is WAY and FAR MORE better.

Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 17:38
I have a live album by Santana from the Filmore 1968 that cooks like a landslide of Gordon Ramsays. Even back then he was brilliant.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 13 2013 at 21:58

I have a live album by Santana from the Filmore 1968 that cooks like a landslide of Gordon Ramsays. Even back then he was brilliant.
I have that too David and he sure does smoke.

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: January 14 2013 at 11:06
 l love both.  I can't choose.  Thank God I get to listen to them both  :)

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: ryanefl
Date Posted: January 14 2013 at 20:04
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Al hasn't done anything as beautiful as Europa... 

Although if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear it.

Al playing No Potho Reposare http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNDyMN-TY0U" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNDyMN-TY0U .  It's quite pretty. 

Posted By: geneyesontle
Date Posted: January 14 2013 at 21:08
Al Di Meola. I love his style.

-------------
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle

Date Posted: January 14 2013 at 21:45
Listen to this and be prepared to be blown away, El Magico Smile 

Date Posted: January 14 2013 at 21:54
HugOk only fair enough to post another of my favorites, this one is Santana and so good too!!! Big smile  

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: January 15 2013 at 06:36
been listening Santana so much lately, so my choise was an easy one

Posted By: Bosh66
Date Posted: January 15 2013 at 06:46
With the polls balanced at 17 votes a piece, I'm going to plump for Santana. Even love his more commercial stuff. And Caravanserai is one of my all time faves!

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 15 2013 at 07:51
Originally posted by gents gents wrote:

I silently wondered if this is mutual...Tongue

Back to topic:
Master DiMeola's guitaristic prowess has a certain tendency to degenerate into rather pointless jingle-jangle which is sometimes quite hard to endure for my sensitive ears. On the other hand, Santana's music doesn't make me go bananas either, but I prefer it enough to give him my vote.

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2013 at 12:15
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Back to topic:
Master DiMeola's guitaristic prowess has a certain tendency to degenerate into rather pointless jingle-jangle which is sometimes quite hard to endure for my sensitive ears. On the other hand, Santana's music doesn't make me go bananas either, but I prefer it enough to give him my vote.

oh, how I wish.............i don't bite much as you would think from my avatar.....only if necesary

still in love......but i'll try............

There is no doubt that Al is great guitarist tehnically but I just can't ''feel'' him. For me he's just sterile and flat. Nothing changes inside me. On the other hand when I put Santana I instantlly feel the wormth and energy that suites me ooooo so well. So much energy and head banging. With Al I feel cold. But that's just me. Who knows maybe that someday will change (maybe I'll move to Mozambique......i mean....erhhh).
You never know what tomorrow will bring........

Date Posted: January 16 2013 at 19:35
Smile

Back to topic:

You cute Turkey Tongue Al hates it when he is described as the fastest guitarist in the world btw, this was not his intent but awwww pointless jingle? :( No you have been brainwashed I am sure! Wink because for me Riding with the devil on a spanish highway has so many highlights, it's gasmic, orgasmic eargasmic really Big smile I became hooked first listen here and ever since Smile OMG no one beats him, this is just too exciting brilliant and those changes and the prelipupu's.... aaahhhhhhh ooohhhhh oh yeah!!! hahahaha!!! This killed me and to date never heard anything like this! Approve 

Date Posted: January 16 2013 at 19:37
hahahahahaha I listening again right now to Ride with the devil on a Spanish Highway, it's unique and OMG!!!!!! hahahahahaha brilliant!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: January 16 2013 at 19:41

Back to topic:

oh, how I wish.............i don't bite much as you would think from my avatar.....only if necesary

There is no doubt that Al is great guitarist tehnically but I just can't ''feel'' him. For me he's just sterile and flat. Nothing changes inside me. On the other hand when I put Santana I instantlly feel the wormth and energy that suites me ooooo so well. So much energy and head banging. With Al I feel cold. But that's just me. Who knows maybe that someday will change (maybe I'll move to Mozambique......i mean....erhhh).

Lol Gents, hahaahaha you charming cheeky one Big smile listen to the track above that I posted, hocus pocus listen... ok that's the wrong band but whaaahaaaaaaaa this is so good Al Magico convinced me right here and there Smile 

Date Posted: January 16 2013 at 20:12
i don't think he was trying to say Al never plays beautiful music, but the fact of the matter is Al Di Meola's music does tend to get caught up in the technicality of it all sometimes and turn into a mere showcasing of Al's technical skill

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2013 at 20:44

i don't think he was trying to say Al never plays beautiful music, but the fact of the matter is Al Di Meola's music does tend to get caught up in the technicality of it all sometimes and turn into a mere showcasing of Al's technical skill

Yep Sumdeus, I too understand that, you colourful fluffy teddy bear Big smile and I also mentioned that the one track was enough for me to get hooked on Al ApproveHug

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: January 16 2013 at 20:46
Carlos is really a blues player with Latin roots; Al went to Berklee music school and is highly trained in all number of styles.   Better?   Impossible to compare but I'd have to give it to Santana.

Date Posted: January 16 2013 at 22:28

Al playing very sensitive accoustics here  

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: January 17 2013 at 01:39
Al DiMeola - especially for "Fantasia Suite for Two Guitars" off of 'Casino.'  Electric shredding is done by so many, but very few can do that acoustically like DiMeola does on that classic tune...

"Chasing the Voodoo," off the same album, shows off DiMeola's Electric / Flamenco prowess, but I am almost more blown away by the conga-playing on this song by Mingas...

Date Posted: January 17 2013 at 02:55

Back to topic:

Lol Gents, hahaahaha you charming cheeky one Big smile listen to the track above that I posted, hocus pocus listen... ok that's the wrong band but whaaahaaaaaaaa this is so good Al Magico convinced me right here and there Smile 

ooohhhh........she knows my name....i'm melting.....and with your switching poses....i just can't stand it.....and you like Focus.......and I like Focus........it's just too much

i have listened to it and i'm sorry it's just doesn't get to me........it doesn't mean it's not great.........it is .......maybe he is just  trying too hard.......sorry no feelings for me.........maybe some day........or night....
it's true that you can be hooked on someone by hearing just one song....it happened to me numerous times

one of my favourites............it blows me awaay

http://youtu.be/KWFRsrq7iMw" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: January 17 2013 at 02:56
it didn't post sorry.........

one of my favourites

http://youtu.be/KWFRsrq7iMw" rel="nofollow - http://youtu.be/KWFRsrq7iMw

Date Posted: January 18 2013 at 17:57

Back to topic:

ooohhhh........she knows my name....i'm melting.....and with your switching poses....i just can't stand it.....and you like Focus.......and I like Focus........it's just too much

i have listened to it and i'm sorry it's just doesn't get to me........it doesn't mean it's not great.........it is .......maybe he is just  trying too hard.......sorry no feelings for me.........maybe some day........or night....
it's true that you can be hooked on someone by hearing just one song....it happened to me numerous times

hahahahaha!! Gents no problem, but my mission now is to convince you Approve yes Al is very technical brilliant but not cold really, unlike Santana which is most known for Black Magic Women (track original from Peter Green) Al is just too good, really Approve

Posted By: docall27
Date Posted: January 18 2013 at 23:45
Al.

Carlos was better in the 70s, more melodic, more feeling than Al...BUT, he never really went anywhere beyond that.

Al has grown more as a guitarist over the years IMO.

Posted By: eddmir12
Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 07:27
Both excellent guitarists! But I have to go with Al, he has expanded his music style so much more than any other guitarist in the world. From latin to rock to fusion to jazz to world music...you name it Al has done it, and he does it so naturally and it sounds so fantastic!!

Date Posted: February 06 2013 at 04:48

Back to topic:

hahahahaha!! Gents no problem, but my mission now is to convince you Approve yes Al is very technical brilliant but not cold really, unlike Santana which is most known for Black Magic Women (track original from Peter Green) Al is just too good, really Approve

sorry for being away a bit................i like converters specially so gorgeus as you.......
i don't know santana just for black magic woman and i know it's green's track and btw i like green's version better
hmmmm. undoubtedly Al is pure genius no question....but i still lack something to grab me with him........
maybe your hugs.....errr i mean posts will....looking forward
sometimes it needs time and just a special something to click you to someone.....this moment with Al I still didn't get
looking forward to your convincing..............

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: February 07 2013 at 22:19
As they say..."puro emoción!"

(Big fan of both Al and Carlos, natch...)

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: February 07 2013 at 22:31
I always wondered where Al ---an Italian boy from New Jersey---got his Latin chops---I mean he went to music school in Boston----not too Latin eitherSmile But his playing is sublime. 

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: February 07 2013 at 22:45
Al D. just destroys Santana!  Oops, I revealed my vote....!  

Date Posted: February 07 2013 at 23:09
tied up -

Date Posted: February 07 2013 at 23:11
Originally posted by docall27 docall27 wrote:

Al.  Carlos was better in the 70s, more melodic, more feeling than Al...BUT, he never really went anywhere beyond that.  Al has grown more as a guitarist over the years IMO.
that's a very good point

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 14:15
Interesting poll.  I think that I would probably have to choose Santana as my favorite between the two based on being more familiar with him, but I've enjoyed the Al Di Meola albums that I have and recently purchased a couple of more of them.  I'm not familiar with Return to Forever though, so my mind could change once I get around to checking them out.

-------------

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 14:23
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by docall27 docall27 wrote:

Al.  Carlos was better in the 70s, more melodic, more feeling than Al...BUT, he never really went anywhere beyond that.  Al has grown more as a guitarist over the years IMO.
that's a very good point

Have to agree as well. Al was always more diverse in his playing anyway, even compared to Carlos in the 70s.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 14:35
Rushfan Hughmmm I never bought any RTF, I wasn't keen on them Unhappy first 4 or 5 Al albums are the best ones for me, not the recent ones. Some prefer the recent ones but it's different music.   Elegant Gypsy and Casino are favorites of mine. Also he was with Stomu Yamashta on the album "Go" in the late 70's. Friday Night in San Francisco too Thumbs Up
Hug 

Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 14:58
Kati I highly recommend the first RTF album! it has no Meola but some very beautiful music

god I love Corea's keyboard playing

-------------

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 15:12
Return to Forever's "Romantic Warrior" was the first prog album I ever got into, so it has a special place in my heart. From a production standpoint, I think it's one of the best sounding albums from the 70s, regardless of genre, and the music kicks ass.

Try RTF's "Returns" (2009) album. Some great renditions of classic tunes, with some great improvisation.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 15:23
I bought a couple of RTF vinyls a little while back.  I just haven't listened to them yet.  I actually have a few Chick Corea albums too.  My favorite Al di Meola might be World Sinfonia II, which happened to be the first one of his that I bought.  Elegant Gypsy, Splendindo Hotel and Casino are all great too.  I also have Land Of The Midnight Sun, Orange and Blue, Scenario, and Tirami Su.  I've just not listened to many of these all that frequently.  Splendido Hotel, Casino, and Land of the Midnight Sun are all recent purchases.

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 16:35
Brilliant no doubt Abraxas ApproveHug

Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 16:38

Kati I highly recommend the first RTF album! it has no Meola but some very beautiful music
Thumbs Up It's my favorite RTF album. Very unique.

Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 16:41

Sumdeus anything you recommend i must listen and take notice for sure, thank you I will and revert and get back to you SmileHugHeart

Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 16:43
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

Now I am most curious really and eager to listen!!! Hug

Posted By: richh
Date Posted: June 15 2013 at 12:52

Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

Now I am most curious really and eager to listen!!! Hug

About the original question it is Al for me. Love Carlos for the most part but Di Meola is simply one of the best... frankly in a league nearly to himself. Many people can play Carlos's parts, the same can not be said for Al.

On RTF you have to remember they made music for such brief period and some of it can sound dated. Having said that they are one of my favorites and to those on the fence give the song The Romantic Warrior a spin. 4 Musicians at their absolute best... a perfect song to my ears!

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 15 2013 at 22:38
Santana but probably because I listened to his band in college and had all the early  lp's.....never really cared for Dimeola's solo music but his playing with Return To Forever is nice.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: June 16 2013 at 05:04
Just locked the poll at 27 a piece voting for Santana

-------------

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: June 16 2013 at 14:44
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

You could not have expressed my own views more perfectly.

Ditto.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 18:04
I have been listening to Carlos Santana pretty much ever since he hit the airwaves and have come to a greater appreciation of his playing in the last few years. At the same time, Big Al was one of the first non-rock guitarists I heard (the other being Pat Metheny); he blew me away then (a loooong time ago) and he still blows me away. Al gets my vote. BTW: Since this has been around for more than a year now, is anybody reading this? Send me a pm.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 13:55
Hmmm....if you were to specify Santana up to 1972-73, then he would win hands down, but I don't care for him thereafter. So, I choose Al for RTF, Friday Night in San Francisco and his solo work.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: buddyblueyes
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 17:46
Al.
Hands down.
Technically better.
A wicked right hand on the guitar. His leads for me are intellectual and emotional at the same time. His phrasing is captivating. The musicians he works with are sick. I'm a drummer and although Santana has some great musicians and percussionists (and Dennis Chambers filling in on drums) for me Al has played with more of my inspirations: from Steve Gadd, Ernie Adams (an unknown favorite of mine), Peter Erskine, Manu Katche, Omar Hakim, Joel Taylor, Tom Brecthlein... not to mention Anthony Jackson, John Patitucci and Charlie Haden on bass, traded licks with Vai, and lest we forget, Chick Corea and Gonzalo Rubacalbo as of recent on keys in the studio... and a who's who of percussionists! Plus Al has a huge body of work and guested on a lot of other genres (Derek Sherinian's Black Utopia for one...didn't see that coming).

I was introduced to Al's music in my late teens after coming down from a hair metal high. I was looking for new inspirations and a friend turned me on to John Scofield (Loud jazz and Blue Matter), Mike Stern(Odds and Evens, and Jigsaw), and Al (Kiss My Axe and Orange and Blue) as a way to draw me towards the jazz idiom. It worked and I had an easier time accepting (and now reveling in) the education and life-long pursuit of understanding jazz. I still come back to Orange and Blue, The Infinite Desire, and The Grande Passion on a regular basis. Those recordings will transport you to a whole new magical world. Great music to pair with any kind of traveling you may find yourself doing.

Good Poll, though. ...dare I suggest Petrucci vs. Vai vs. Guthrie Govan next?Tongue

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: September 01 2014 at 01:33
I love Santana's '70s works and the guy is a great melodic guitar player.

Al D has a number of albums which display a similar penchant for melody but a much higher level of technique, and that's why I cast my vote for him.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: September 01 2014 at 05:47
DiMeola hands down for me. His technicality and prowess are perfect IMHO, and he's one of my all-time favorite players to listen to - no matter what project he's in.

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Posted By: Hans il mercante
Date Posted: September 01 2014 at 11:55
Even though I love Elegant Gipsy as a whole, My vote goes for Carlos, Carlos was brave enough to blend music in a way that was not seen before. His aproach on latin/african/rock/psychedelic rock was way ahead of it's time.

I know the art of Al di Meola, I saw him live with the Rite of strings, and I got to say that he is a master on what he does, but Carlos, was a real trailblazer.

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 18:53

Al Di Meola.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: Cookie13
Date Posted: March 14 2016 at 09:20
Al Di Meola >>>>>>> Carlos Santana.

-------------
"Clipside of the pinkeye flight
I'm not the percent you think survives
I need sanctuary in the pages of this book."

Son Et Lumiere - The Mars Volta

Date Posted: March 14 2016 at 10:56
I have more AL albums ---like Santana but don't own a lot of his music