Print Page | Close Window

Your first Prog Song?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=91676
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 15:55
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Your first Prog Song?
Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Subject: Your first Prog Song?
Date Posted: January 22 2013 at 23:20
I've been wondering when you finally heard your first prog song?I'll give mine away "The Spirit of Radio" by Rush.WinkWink

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Replies:
Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: January 22 2013 at 23:39
As fate would have it, on my parents old console record player, Yes's Close to the Edge.  I still remember it like it was yesterday.  There were other songs on the radio and such that I may have heard before that could have been prog, but it was not until CTTE that I knew what it was.

-------------

Posted By: SquonkHunter
Date Posted: January 22 2013 at 23:44
Showing my age with this one: The Yes Album, 1971. Been hooked on Prog ever since.

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: January 22 2013 at 23:45
^ Don't feel bad, I am there with you...Smile

-------------

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: January 22 2013 at 23:45
Floyd - "Money". It all started for me with the radio, so ... . If asking for "real" prog, then "The Court of the Crimson King", I think.

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: January 22 2013 at 23:54
The first... "Far Cry" by Rush. It was the first time I knew I was listening to Rush at least. Other than that, the first three prog songs I listened to where I knew it was prog were "Roundabout", "21st Century Schizoid Man", and "The Knife" in that order.

Posted By: HarbouringTheSoul
Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 02:27
"The Gumbo Variations" is the first one I remember hearing. I must have been about three years old.

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 07:48
I'm another one showing my age-Aqualung. Back in eight grade we had a music class and had to bring in an album and select a track to play the class. A girl in my class brought the Agualung album, newly released, and played the title track. 

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 07:55
My dad had a lot of prog albums when I was growing up, so it's hard to say what came first.  I just kind of grew up with it.  Even when I was 5 years old I had 2 of my own Moody Blues records.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 08:06
Not really counting hearing tracks like `Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen, or even (dare I say it?) `November Rain' by Guns N Roses or various 80's Metallica, all of which have prog elements, I think my first taste of what lead to proper prog was hearing the album `Queen 1', with tracks like `Great King Rat' and `Liar' with their little multi-sections and different directions.

I had never heard pop/rock music like it, and it certainly made me take notice! Soon after, it was devouring all of Floyd's albums, by my first proper intro to `real' prog was a cassette with Genesis `Nursery Cryme' on one side and Eloy's `Power and the Passion' on the other, given to me by chance by my old friend and Archives member Tom Ozric!

Cue much expanding of my mind....!

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 08:35
Abbey road, side 2.

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 08:41
Since first 3 Floyd albums are pure psychedelia, I'll say Atom Heart Mother, the song.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bequeathed" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Astral Traveller
Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 10:40
 Red Barchetta By Rush, My parents taped their wedding song over it and gave it to the DJ to play at the reception. I found it years later in my Dad's old apartment that he hung on to for years. Even though it cut in midway through the song I listened to it for years. For the record, this was the Exit Stage...Left Version and I was about 4-5 years old. 

-------------

A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable. -Robert Fripp

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 18:31
Back when they played great music on the radio:  'Roundabout' got me into Yes; 'Aqualung' got me into Jethro Tull - both in 1971 when I was 12...

Posted By: zeqexes
Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 18:53
A Change of Seasons by Dream Theater was the song that got me into prog.

-------------

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 19:31
ProMetaller HugI honestly can't say or remember which was first, the reason is that I had no idea it was prog, only later I found out that what I tend to like/listen is considered/named prog Big smile

Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 20:27
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Floyd - "Money". It all started for me with the radio, so ... . If asking for "real" prog, then "The Court of the Crimson King", I think.

ShockedShocked
ShockedShocked

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 20:28
^ "Real" because some people don't consider Floyd prog enough.

Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 20:31

^ "Real" because some people don't consider Floyd prog enough.

no no not that "You just aren't ready to step into the Court of The Crimson King for your first prog song, that's a no no", Andrey

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 22:16
^ OK, I have no idea what you are talking about, man. It really was one of my first prog experiences.

Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 22:17

^ OK, I have no idea what you are talking about, man. It really was one of my first prog experiences.

It don't get any better than that of course everything is all downhill from thereLOLLOL

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: RedNightmareKing
Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 22:44
Tom Sawyer on Rock Band 1. 

-------------
I consider drone metal to be progressive...

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 22:58
I have no idea.  How can you remember such a thing?

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: January 24 2013 at 03:25
First that I knew of? YYZ and Carry on Wayward Son on Guitar Hero II. Pull Me Under by DT from a later version was what actually got me into prog though.

Growing up I would hear Owner of a Lonely Heart, as well as later Genesis songs on the radio. I don't think that was quite the same though.

Posted By: JocBT
Date Posted: January 24 2013 at 21:10
The first song that pulled me right into prog was Kansas' Magnum Opus, never looked back

Posted By: scrivener
Date Posted: January 25 2013 at 05:08
I was in intermediate school when Asia's debut album came out.  I don't know that I'd call that prog, but it was my gateway drug: it led to Yes's 90125, which led to everything else.

-------------
Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man.   --- Francis Bacon

Posted By: ProgressiveMike
Date Posted: January 25 2013 at 20:39
I remember. It was the summer of my sophomore year and my brother and I were staying in Walnut Creek, California and frequenting Rasputin's (a local record store). We bought a copy of Blue Oyster Cult's Fire Of Unknown Origin. After enjoying it very much we went back and asked the clerk there what else he might reccomend and he handed me my first (of many) copy of Rush' 2112. Unfortunately for the next 8 years of my life I was a Rush fan and had no idea that there was a wider world of Prog Rock until I myself started working at record stores, and many years still after that, landed a job at a record store with a Prog enthusiast who showed me the real Genesis. The rest is prog history.

Posted By: Garfield78
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 02:57
Van Der Graaf Generator's "A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers", I've discovered it on SIRIUS 16 The VAULT way back in April 2007 and it totally blew me away, I've heard it on the Progressions show, it's still ranked among my Top 10 favorite prog rock tunes.

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 04:51
When I was about 10 I definitely heard Bungle In the Jungle by Tull and loved that. Someone gave me vinyl Aqualung and I didnt understand it. I heard on radio heaps of Queen and Bowie. Ziggy Stardust spiders From Mars album was heard. Some Pink Floyd was heard but again misunderstood. I heard some early Yes from the 70s, and Genesis.
I had Tubular Bells and War of the Worlds on vinyl, as well as Court of Crimson King album...

Amongst that lot was my first prog song but memory fails me as to the specific song.

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 05:13
Maybe See Me Feel Me Touch Me by the Who, when I was 4 years old or something like that.
I remember liking that at a very early age, but the chance is big that my memory is playing tricks on me.

Posted By: the only sane man
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 08:14
Back in around 1980 when I was about 12 I rifled through my older cousin's record collection and discovered the previously unheard of 2112 and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, playing them one after the other....and then again, and again, and again. My life was never the same from that point onwards...... Smile

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 10:10
Close to the Edge for me - my parents had it on LP, and I stil love it!

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 10:14
South Side Of The Sky from radio programme called Popnonstop. It took some time to find out what was and who performed that song. Anyway, it changed my life Big smile

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 14:25
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Heh...you stole my reply.      Wink

If the Moody Blues are 'prog' then it would have to be Nights In White Satin or Ride My See Saw from In Search Of....but the first thing I heard that was what people called prog now was ITCOTCK when I heard it in the spring of '70...or maybe Astral Traveler by Yes in 1970.....we are back to what one considers prog again.
Confused

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Larree
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 14:39
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Heh...you stole my reply.      Wink

If the Moody Blues are 'prog' then it would have to be Nights In White Satin or Ride My See Saw from In Search Of....but the first thing I heard that was what people called prog now was ITCOTCK when I heard it in the spring of '70...or maybe Astral Traveler by Yes in 1970.....we are back to what one considers prog again.
Confused

Same here.  First thing I heard that is actually called "progressive rock" today was ITCOTCK.  But I do not think the "progressive rock" genre even existed when I heard ITCOTCK for the first time!  In theory, I can say that my listening tastes were always progressive in nature anyway.  Even before the invention of the genre.

-------------
http://larree.ws" rel="nofollow - The Larree (dot) Website

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 14:40
Probably something by Pink Floyd.

-------------

Posted By: Larree
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 14:44
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

I heard all the early Pink Floyd before I heard ITCOTCK, but always considered them psychedelic.  I don't think anything was actually called "progressive" until the early 1970's.

-------------
http://larree.ws" rel="nofollow - The Larree (dot) Website

Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 14:49

As early as Arnold Layne or See Emily Play....or later...?

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 14:50
Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

I heard all the early Pink Floyd before I heard ITCOTCK, but always considered them psychedelic.  I don't think anything was actually called "progressive" until the early 1970's.

That works for me......I can't even recall when I fist heard the term prog rock.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 15:50

Oh, I didn't hear it in 1967 or something like that. Probably in the '90's, on the radio.

-------------

Posted By: axeman
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 16:52
Although to some, Carry on Wayward Son might be a suitable answer. And it is almost there, but the real jump was after buying Leftoverture to deal with the weird last track (Magnum Opus). Once I absorbed that song, I was on the prog path. Then I started listening to AOR radio, and heard more Kansas, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, and Jethro Tull.

That is, I might have heard I Know What I Like before that--and I can almost swear that I heard Roundabout before that. I'm pretty sure I like Roundabout from the get-go, though there was something definitely in there that nobody else was doing. 

But my first involvement with prog was Kansas->Leftoverture->Magnum Opus

-------------
-John

Posted By: axeman
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 17:06
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I can't even recall when I fist heard the term prog rock.
I can. I was in a usenet newsgroup when we got tired of punk-alternative fans going on to alt.rock.progressive and sniping that people still listening to 70s music was the opposite of "progressive". "Real progressive" was the simplistic angst-driven discordant folk(?) that they listened to.

It's a good example of how to win a battle by retreat. "Hey, let's just call it 'prog'! There's no contention over the name 'prog'." In the 70s, I'm pretty sure we referred to it as "Art Rock", but sometimes "progressive music". 

-------------
-John

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 18:43
Probably Genesis - Giant Hogweed & The Knife, I was given them on a mixed tape by a friend.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 23:25
I can't possibly remember the first prog song I heard (Kansas?  Pink Floyd?) but the song that kickstarted my prog addiction was The Spirit of Radio by Rush.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: c_hawkbob
Date Posted: April 08 2013 at 12:48
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Y'all might not consider it prog, but looking back on it I do!

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: April 08 2013 at 14:30
I bought Roundabout as a single when I was 8.  I was working my way up from Donny Osmond and Bobby Sherman. 

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Posted By: theadolescentprogger
Date Posted: April 08 2013 at 21:06
For me? Probably "Wish you were Here" Pink Floyd!

Posted By: Mr. Maestro
Date Posted: April 08 2013 at 21:17
Wakeman's Journey to the Centre of the Earth was my first encounter with prog.  I listened to that album many times as a child, long before I knew what "prog" was.  I only discovered the genre years later when I heard "Carry On Wayward Son" and Floyd's "Brain Damage" on the radio and took an interest.

-------------
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."

Posted By: xeizo
Date Posted: April 19 2013 at 17:08
The Beatles. "Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band", the whole record through headphones on high-end equipment for the era, it was there it all started, as prog as prog can be and something alike never heard before. Jimi Hendrix was waiting in the wings ...

Of slightly more modern bands, Queen II was an eye opener, as was Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme, to keep it short that was the beginning since then hundreds of bands and thousands of records have passed. Dream Theaters Images and Words was a milestone in recent time, Steven Wilson holds up the flag today, but there are so much great music out there and a lot of it are crossbred and a fusion of different styles so much is prog without strictly being "prog". I think the bandname of Dream Theater says a lot, it's an audible theatre to dream to - even for us non potheads ;-)

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: April 20 2013 at 03:38
Tom Sawyer. Heard it on the radio on my way home from school one day in my early-mid teens about a decade ago. I didn't think too much of it at first admittedly, but then when I started playing drums I decided to get the Moving Pictures album remembering the drum part was unlike anything I'd ever heard before and wanted to figure out what went into playing so masterfully. It all spiraled out from there over the next few years.

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: April 20 2013 at 11:34
Not sure which was my first song from a prog branded band. It was either ELP's The Three Fates or Close to the Edge. My friends dad had CTtE and my dad had ELP. It is entirely possible that I heard Nights in White Satin prior to that.

However, what I would consider the first prog song would be Elton John's Funeral for a Friend. And I stand 100% behind its progressive attribution, as well as that of several other songs on Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Olivier!
Date Posted: April 20 2013 at 11:46
My father (and mother) was loving a lot Caravan - In the Land of... I heard this album so many times when I was a child that when I really started to listen to prog rock, I already known every notes of the solos in nine feet underground... Still one of my all time fav album.

Posted By: fudgenuts64
Date Posted: April 20 2013 at 12:02
Hm, either anything on OK Computer if you count it, if not Pull Me Under since it's the first song on Images and Words, was the album that got me into it.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: April 20 2013 at 12:11
Before I knew what Prog is: TEARS IN MY EYES - URIAH HEEP

After I discovered Prog: ROUNDABOUT - YES

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 20:43
The first one I really remember listening to on my own was Constant Motion by Dream Theater when I was in middle school.  It had just come out at the time.  

Then I bought Octavarium from iTunes, which was my first prog album.  The title track on that I suppose was the first song that opened my eyes to this new world.  I was utterly amazed that you could make a song like Octavarium.  Just stunned.  I listened to the song over and over and over until I started listening to Genesis (Gabriel-era only).  And we all know what happened from there Wink

Posted By: lct
Date Posted: April 23 2013 at 06:10
Mine was Queen 2, I was 8 years old and in hospital with meningitis, my dad worked at a sawmill and all his co-workers clubbed together and bought me a Panasonic Walkman. In their wisdom they bought me a Bros tape, which quickly made me more ill. Seeing my distress my  parents got me Queen 2 for Christmas as i fell ill late December. I can remember hearing " Procession" for the first time and a wonderful stereo image of an  almost orchestral arrangement leading into "Father to sun"  rock out was a real awakening for me. 23 years later it is still a delight to behold. 

Apart from hot space it is probably their least rated album, but for me it's one of their best.   

Posted By: AlexDOM
Date Posted: April 23 2013 at 14:31
More metally than proggy, but Panic Attack by Dream Theater got me into them, and soon I branched off into the prog world.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: April 23 2013 at 15:18
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

My dad had a lot of prog albums when I was growing up, so it's hard to say what came first.  I just kind of grew up with it.  Even when I was 5 years old I had 2 of my own Moody Blues records.
Realizing I never gave an actual answer to the thread's question, I'll go out on a limb and say "the Voyage" by the Moody Blues.  Read my bio on PA for details.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: otto pankrock
Date Posted: April 23 2013 at 19:39
Hard to tell. A lot of what is considered prog was on the radio. I remember a friends brothers listening to Fragile. I heard Smoke on the Water when it first came out, does that count? I first heard Twenty First Century Schizoid Man in '74. I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end and thought "what the hell is this"? Never really looked back after that.

Posted By: JaySpiral
Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 18:01
Technically it would be "Limelight". But the first prog song I listened to with the intent of getting into prog was "The Musical Box" by Genesis. Been one of my favorites ever since!

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 04:16
It was probably "Night In White Satin"; but when I was a child in the 60s I have had the possibilty to listen to a lot of music from my elder brothers. If proto-prog counts, I was a Beatles fan since from the early 60s when i was used to ask my mother for coins to put in the juke-box. I think I have learned alphabet and numbers in this way.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 04:25
I imagine growing up in the 60s and 70s would render this sort of question almost impossible to answer. I know I have trouble finding out myself, because I didn't know about 'prog' for a loooooooooooooooooooong time - even if I listened to music that evidently was 'prog'. But if you grew up listening to this stuff on the radio from way back, then who's not to say that you popped out of momma's baking oven to the sounds of the hospital staff radio playing Careful with that Axe, Eugene?

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 04:27
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I imagine growing up in the 60s and 70s would render this sort of question almost impossible to answer. I know I have trouble finding out myself, because I didn't know about 'prog' for a loooooooooooooooooooong time - even if I listened to music that evidently was 'prog'. But if you grew up listening to this stuff on the radio from way back, then who's not to say that you popped out of momma's baking oven to the sounds of the hospital staff radio playing Careful with that Axe, Eugene?

It was not the kind of things usually on air LOL

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Cornelius
Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 06:24
Hi all,

Mine was "Close To The Edge" by Yes

I Think

-------------
I Like To Drink Cough Medicine..!

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 07:01
Maybe... "Bohemian Rhapsody"?
Yet, since my father is a huge Pink Floyd man and had a cassette of the Alan Parsons Project, I guess I may have heard songs from these two bands even before Queen.

Posted By: lioninfire
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 09:48

There was a song which I’d classify from the prog rock genre from around 1974ish which I haven’t heard since the 70’s. I never was able to catch the artist/title. I suspect someone on this site might remember who the artist is and what the title was. WLIR on Long Island NY was notorious for playing this song.

The synopsis of the lyrics is a spaceship lands, a landing ramp opens, children board it, the ramp closes up and takes off with the children. I remember it starting with a synthy type of intro.

I've mentioned this to people and the first thing they say is Styx "come sail away" but that is not it. Some have suggested Klaatu “Calling occupants of interplanetary craft” or Billy Thorpe “children of the Sun”. Not those either.

It’s definitely something obscure. Nothing popular that anyone remembers or ever plays. Can you recall the artist/title? Do you think anyone in your prog rock circles may know?

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 13:17
1967......I was 16...so prolly Nights in White Satin, Tuesday Afternoon., and Whiter Shade of Pale.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: lioninfire
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 13:59
If you want to be blown away by one of the most amazing Prog Rock songs check out the 15 minute long song "Utopia" from Todd Rundgren's Utopia. It has the same effect on me now as it did when I first heard it. I would rank it in the Prog top 5 of all time. Brilliantly amazing!

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 14:03
Not sure which one I listened to first actually but it had to be "Dodo/Lurker" "Home By the Sea I & II" or "Hearts" as the first prog song I heard.  

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: trevortjes
Date Posted: May 13 2013 at 10:07
It all started for me with Boston. Foreplay / Longtime made me very curious about the hammond organ and so I found other bands like ELP and Yes :)

Posted By: humor4u1959
Date Posted: May 13 2013 at 23:29
My first prog song was 'Repent Walpurgis' by Procol Harum. I believe it was in 1968 and my drum teacher had me play along with it. He lived next door and I was 8 years old. He had this huge console stereo that was so loud it was unreal. He would have me play along to records, after teaching me the parts.

Fond memories, for sure. And I'd never heard anything so powerful as Procol. I was a bit intimidated, to say the least.

Posted By: fudgenuts64
Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 02:36
I guess OK Computer, but Radiohead isn't generally a progressive band in the traditional sesne so Dream Theater with Images I suppose, if you're even more accepting on borderlines of prog then SOAD was one of my first too.

-------------

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 14:31
Heard Yes-Roundabout when it first debuted on FM radio in 1971 (I was in junior high-school).  That got me to buy Yes-Fragile, which got me into other English and European progressive bands of the early 1970s...

Posted By: otto pankrock
Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 19:18
Possibly "The Runaway" from Gentle Giant when I first discovered FM radio. I'll always remember the sound of the glass smashing. Didn't rediscover the song until a few years ago when I picked up the album.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 23:17
Hmmm...not counting Beatles or Moody Blues songs, it was probably "Aqualung" when I was 11.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Rando
Date Posted: May 18 2013 at 18:00
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

I've been wondering when you finally heard your first prog song?I'll give mine away "The Spirit of Radio" by Rush.WinkWink
I might get heat on this one, but I have to say for me it was the complete Beatles Sgt. Pepper album. Art Rock, it was Progressive, etc. Big smile

-------------
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -

Posted By: Dhorr
Date Posted: May 30 2013 at 19:15
I probably heard a bunch of Pink Floyd or ELP's Lucky Man at some point on the radio, but the first song I deliberately listened to, knowing that it was progressive rock, was In the Court of the Crimson King, coming across it while reading about the groups various Asia members came from. It certainly hooked me on the genre right away.

-------------
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
- HP Lovecraft, Call of Cthulhu

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: June 02 2013 at 18:16
i bet it was tom sawyer from Rush, either that or Welcome Home from Coheed and Cambria

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: June 02 2013 at 18:37
The first I can remember is Rush's R30 Medley (when my Dad got the R30 DVD). But my first song was way too early in my life for me to remember.

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Date Posted: June 02 2013 at 18:59
ahhhh lucky i want that dvd if not others

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 05 2013 at 03:30

Elephant Talk or Inca Roads.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: NantoSeiken
Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 21:58
My first was Pink Floyd's "Time," which my Dad played for me back in eighth grade (about 5-6 years ago). My Dad was a major source of of prog and rock in general for me early on and introduced me to a ton of bands, and is probably the reason why I have my current preferences for prog, metal, and classic/pop rock.

-------------
"One wife will make you happy/Two will make you dead"
    -Howard Werth, "Indian Summer"

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 22:12
Yessongs

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 05:58
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Yessongs

YES i want that live album so bad

Posted By: andymitrich
Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 07:12
I created my own music page in facebook and I am searching material for publication. Could you tell me about you favourite young musicians, bands in progrock, mathrock and similar or give links to their facebook pages? thnx

Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 11:05
Yes, Rush, and Pink Floyd (honorable mentions include Genesis, ELP, King Crimson, Styx, and Supertramp)

Posted By: morrisdick
Date Posted: June 08 2013 at 08:14
First prog song is a toughie - first prog albums would be Abbey Road (by the Beatles, a popular but underrated British music combo in the sixties) or Brain Salad Surgery (ELP).

P.S. Love the "My Other Car..." logo, Astral Traveller ;-)

Date Posted: June 08 2013 at 11:27
^ Did you just call Abbey Road underrated?

Posted By: Second Life Syndrome
Date Posted: June 12 2013 at 14:20
If you don't count the normal Floyd, Kansas, and Rush stuff that even most mainstream music lovers have heard, I would say the first prog song I heard was "Pull Me Under" from DT.  It's still a great song, but I don't really have any interest in DT anymore.

-------------
theprogmind.com

Date Posted: June 12 2013 at 16:35
i remember that song, i first heard on GH4, which i played to song on, and that basically (with other Guitar Hero and Rock Band games) made me become a classic rock and later on (now) a progressive rock fan as well

Posted By: morrisdick
Date Posted: June 13 2013 at 06:05
I was calling The Beatles underrated (a touch of irony!!) Wink

Posted By: mrtortoise
Date Posted: June 13 2013 at 07:50
I remember hearing 'She's So Heavy' by the Beatles when I was too young to know music could be classified into categories. The only music I had heard before that was late 60's early 70's pop and my ears were blown away by this new sound. I'll always consider that my first prog song, it opened my ears to new sounds.

Not long after that I heard Yes's "Your Move/Seen all Good People" and when I got my first record player bought the album and have been a prog head ever since.

Date Posted: June 13 2013 at 09:58
Originally posted by morrisdick morrisdick wrote:

I was calling The Beatles underrated (a touch of irony!!) Wink
Not sure how your irony works.

Posted By: Artilectband
Date Posted: June 17 2013 at 15:24
My first would be "Glasgow Kiss" by John Petrucci on the G3 dvd. I thought to myself, "My gosh this would be awesome with vocals.."

-------------
Prog recorded @ Neal Morse/Mike Portnoy's studio;produced by BTBAMs producer.Check it out and give us some feedback!
Bandcamp: http://artilectband.bandcamp.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/artilect

Posted By: JaySpiral
Date Posted: June 17 2013 at 15:53
My first one technically would have been something by Rush because my dad was a huge fan of them.

But the first prog song I listened with the actual intent of getting into prog was The Musical Box, and it's been one of my favorites ever since!

Posted By: Swedish Prog Mafia
Date Posted: June 18 2013 at 09:45
Mullmuzzler - His Voice was the first prog song I actually listened to.
Yes, I knew Mullmuzzler before Dream Theater

Posted By: AreYouHuman
Date Posted: June 21 2013 at 21:38
Iron Butterfly's first album "Heavy" was the probably the first prog or proto-prog album I heard that I recognized as taking a step beyond most of what got played on top 40 radio. One track in particular, Fields of Sun, grabbed my attention like nothing before the first time my older brother played it, so that could be considered my first. Possession, So-Lo, Stamped Ideas and Iron Butterfly Theme were no slouches either.

Posted By: Ivbgutie
Date Posted: June 22 2013 at 05:06
Maybe something from Magg!!

http://www.deezer.com/es/artist/4827597" rel="nofollow - http://www.deezer.com/es/artist/4827597

Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: June 22 2013 at 06:51
First prog song was way back 1973. teen yrsCry. GENESIS SUPPERS READYClapClapClapLOL

Posted By: kartmaze
Date Posted: June 22 2013 at 11:19
The first one I can remember was Liquid Tension Experiment's "Acid Rain" in 2005 (yes, I'm a lightweight).

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk