Print Page | Close Window

Riverside 2013

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=91732
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 05:18
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Riverside 2013
Posted By: progger7
Subject: Riverside 2013
Date Posted: January 26 2013 at 11:34
New album is fantastic! Listen to it ASAP if you haven't already! 

-------------

Replies:
Date Posted: January 26 2013 at 18:03
Escalator Shrine is a masterpiece!

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2013 at 09:47

-------------

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: January 29 2013 at 20:26
Not too impressed with their new album so far. Listening to some tracks on YouTube. Nothing special, kind of lackluster really. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: January 29 2013 at 20:33
Overall I really liked the album, It was my first exposure to the band. Really, I didn't feel that there were any weak tracks.
Best album of 2013 so farLOLThumbs Up

Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: January 30 2013 at 00:33
One of Riversides' best. An album that takes a few listens to full appreciate, so don't give up Horizons!! I'm sure many fans are shocked by the transition from heavier stuff to calm, almost Porcupine Tree-like resemblance. After Anno Domini, I thought they'd get heavier and heavier.. This was a welcomed change for me!! Gotta get some variety in sound, right? I can't help but listen to the album on a daily basis.. I only wish it was longer!! Shocked

-------------
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: dtguitarfan
Date Posted: January 30 2013 at 05:14
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Not too impressed with their new album so far. Listening to some tracks on YouTube. Nothing special, kind of lackluster really. 

I thought "Escalator Shrine" was as good as anything they've done, but concur with you on the rest of the album, unfortunately.

-------------
http://tinyurl.com/cy43zzh" rel="nofollow - My 2012 List

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: January 31 2013 at 05:40
Liked it on first listen, but need to play it through a few more times to get the real feel of it.

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: January 31 2013 at 12:28
I'm about 3 listens through. Really disappointed. ADHD was a great evolution for them. This is boring.

Need to listen more before I say for sure. Their past material tells me it will be worthwhile. It took me awhile to really dig ADHD.

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Posted By: dennismoore
Date Posted: January 31 2013 at 14:39
Originally posted by progger7 progger7 wrote:

Thanks progger7.   Tongue

All the bashing here from the headbanging kids who play MP3s on youtube tell me that this Riverside effort probably
has a fair bit of dynamics and outside the box compositions.  Sounds great to me!

Looking forward to it.

I love Mystery's - One Among The Living, and that is also one that the young headbangers crucified, kinda like the
same vibe here.

Cheers!

-------------
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: January 31 2013 at 14:48
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

All the bashing here from the headbanging kids who play MP3s on youtube tell me blah blah blah

Really? Was that necessary?

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: January 31 2013 at 15:26
I'm not liking the sound of some of the opinions on the new album. This was my first anticipated album of 2013 (while still trying to catch up on 2012, and even 2011 still). But, I enjoyed Memories In My Head that came out after ADHD, is that any indication of the feel of the new album?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: Roland113
Date Posted: January 31 2013 at 15:53
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I'm not liking the sound of some of the opinions on the new album. This was my first anticipated album of 2013 (while still trying to catch up on 2012, and even 2011 still). But, I enjoyed Memories In My Head that came out after ADHD, is that any indication of the feel of the new album?

Don't sweat it Darkshade, I've given it a few runs on Spotify over the past couple of days and really like it.  Based on the Spotify listens, the real deal should be in the mail in a few weeks.  It's not as heavy as  . . . well . . . anything else they've ever done, but it really works.

Date Posted: January 31 2013 at 16:32

All the bashing here from the headbanging kids who play MP3s on youtube tell me that this Riverside effort probably
has a fair bit of dynamics and outside the box compositions.  Sounds great to me!

Looking forward to it.

I love Mystery's - One Among The Living, and that is also one that the young headbangers crucified, kinda like the
same vibe here.

Cheers!

Get off your pedestal there.
Sorry if we think the album is boring/not as good as you think. The hype doesn't seem to have us going "BEST ALBUM 2013". 

-------------

Date Posted: January 31 2013 at 20:42

Looking forward to it.

same vibe here.

Cheers!

Sorry if we think the album is boring/not as good as you think. The hype doesn't seem to have us going "BEST ALBUM 2013". 

Eh don't let DennisMoore get you going, he's a good guy, just a little out there.  Try to imagine a drunken combination of Liberace and Randy the Macho Man Savage and you get Dennis.  He's mostly already forgotten the comment and gone off to tell someone about how great Air Supply's Greatest Hits sounds in his new 13.1 surround sound system complete with smell-o-vision.

Big smile

Date Posted: January 31 2013 at 21:08

Ah, my handsome young friend Horizons,Big smile

I thought my little remark about "headbanging kids who play MP3s on youtube" would draw you out from your mom's basement.  Nice to see you, been a while.Wink

You really must upgrade from those cheap plastic PC speakers and youtube, this is after all a "progressive" forum. ...for $150 bucks you could really upgrade your soundscape:

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/334421

just sayin....     Embarrassed

Ok, all kidding aside..., it is true when you and your fellow headbangers crap on some new album, I tend to love it. So I am excited to maybe have some fresh meat to sink my teeth into.

What was your take on Mystery - One Among The Living?

-------------
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire

Date Posted: January 31 2013 at 21:17
I'm not sure how boring compositions will be fixed with sound quality. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 31 2013 at 21:18

Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Eh don't let DennisMoore get you going, he's a good guy, just a little out there.  Try to imagine a drunken combination of Liberace and Randy the Macho Man Savage and you get Dennis.  He's mostly already forgotten the comment and gone off to tell someone about how great Air Supply's Greatest Hits sounds in his new 13.1 surround sound system complete with smell-o-vision.

Liberace???  Holy smokesConfused.  I did not see that one coming, at all.Ouch

And Air Supply??? Confused  Confused   Confused    I have never even seen one of their albums.

I think I will stay back at The Flower Kings thread.  You guys play too rough here.Shocked   Shocked   Shocked 

Oh, the  "13.1 surround sound system complete with smell-o-vision."  comment was brilliant. Cool

Excuse me while I go fetch M27Barney. When he & I come back here some people are gonna be really sorry!Approve

P.S.  @ Roland, I guess you have never recovered from me calling you "fish face", but from your avatar.....Wink

-------------

Date Posted: January 31 2013 at 21:23

The two are completely separate.  Sound quality is kinda like:   Having good manners or dressing well.  Those are always good to have going on.   But yes, any music has to be interesting regardless of the quality..

You say "boring compositions"?  Who is on the high horse now???

You didn't tell me if you had checked out the Mystery record.....

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2013 at 07:49

Liberace???  Holy smokesConfused.  I did not see that one coming, at all.Ouch

And Air Supply??? Confused  Confused   Confused    I have never even seen one of their albums.

I think I will stay back at The Flower Kings thread.  You guys play too rough here.Shocked   Shocked   Shocked 

Oh, the  "13.1 surround sound system complete with smell-o-vision."  comment was brilliant. Cool

Excuse me while I go fetch M27Barney. When he & I come back here some people are gonna be really sorry!Approve

P.S.  @ Roland, I guess you have never recovered from me calling you "fish face", but from your avatar.....Wink

Dennis . . . pffft Big smile  Twas all meant in good fun.  The infamous 'fish face' comment just allowed me to open up a little more to you and give you the honor and pleasure of seeing my true maniacal and chaotic self . . . muhahahahaha

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: February 01 2013 at 08:28

I'm disappointed, dull ballad-based songs with an occasional hard-rock/heavy prog outbreak. Meh.

The most frustrating thing is that the instrumental 2nd disk shows how good they could actually be if they wanted,
but they play it too safe.

Date Posted: February 01 2013 at 08:42

The two are completely separate.  Sound quality is kinda like:   Having good manners or dressing well.  Those are always good to have going on.   But yes, any music has to be interesting regardless of the quality..

You say "boring compositions"?  Who is on the high horse now???

I've never heard of the band or album, sorry. And since when is having an opinion on a song make you act like being on a high horse.
I mentioned that because your response to me saying the album isn't good/boring is that i'm listening to mp3s on youtube and you decided to link me some stupid speakers.

You're making no sense.

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2013 at 08:42
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

I'm disappointed, dull ballad-based songs with an occasional hard-rock/heavy prog outbreak. tThey play it too safe.

Agreed.

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2013 at 12:29

Dennis . . . pffft Big smile  Twas all meant in good fun.  The infamous 'fish face' comment just allowed me to open up a little more to you and give you the honor and pleasure of seeing my true maniacal and chaotic self . . . muhahahahaha

Yes, I know it was, you silly girl!Wink   I was so happy when I read your post that you finally gave me back a dose
of my own medicine.  Your post had me in stitches!LOL  LOL   LOL

I have just awarded you with the 1st:  "Little DennisMoore Award".  Well done, kind sir.
(We need to get a mod to help us get a little graphic for the "Little DennisMoore Award....)

Wear it proudly, Lad.

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2013 at 12:44

I've never heard of the band or album, sorry. And since when is having an opinion on a song make you act like being on a high horse.
I mentioned that because your response to me saying the album isn't good/boring is that i'm listening to mp3s on youtube and you decided to link me some stupid speakers.

You're making no sense.

Ok, from the top:   My comment "headbanging kids who play MP3s on youtube" , was to get your attention.
It worked and we are now having a dialog. Approve

Just now you helped me realize somethin, from your posts, it seems like you hear a clip on a PC in Youtube and you
judge the music based on that.  Don't misunderstand me.  I imagine more & more listen to music that way.
For me, before I offer an opinion on any song or band, I have already played the complete record(If I can stand it..)
on as good a system as I can so I can really see what the band is trying to do.  Prolly I am in the minority here.

So I guess my point is that you got me going when I saw your original comment when you said you saw a "clip on youtube" then you offered your opinion.

Perhaps most people now judge music that way?   Hmm, I hate polls but that would be a good question about forming
opinions about music:

Do people listen to a single clip/song on a PC with whatever cheap speakers the PC has?

or

Do people listen to a complete album on a stereo system?

I obviously have a PC and listen to music on it, but whenever I do, I make sure I listen to the same thing on my stereo
and it is always a whole different ballgame, so, very very hard to judge music just on the computer, and I do have some ok speakers on the PC.....

P.S.  Check out Mystery - One Among The Living, if you can get through the whole thing, and let me know what you think...   But I would ask that you try to find a half-decent system, that record has monster dnyamics on it that a PC will just not bring out.

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2013 at 17:58
It's the execution and what the band actually does, not what they had in mind or were trying to do. 
And how i formed my opinion? Honestly it was a mixture of what you said. 

I listened to a few songs on Youtube to get a first impression. Then i sat through most of the album the next day to see if i missed anything and such. I don't even think the album is released here yet, not like i'd buy it anyway. The music didn't grab me whatsoever. I'll keep dipping my foot in the water, to see if my opinions change. But to me it's a clear step downward.

-------------

Posted By: Daysbetween
Date Posted: February 02 2013 at 07:48
Have only played it twice so far but I'm not impressed and it sounds like Porcupine Tree who I don't like much. Will keep playing it over the next few weeks and hope that it grows on me.

Posted By: Wolfhound
Date Posted: February 02 2013 at 12:40
After a few playthroughs I enjoy the album for the most part, but not as much as some of Riverside's past releases like ADHD or SLS.

Posted By: Wolfhound
Date Posted: February 06 2013 at 11:37
Happened to see the US Amazon.com MP3 store listing for this and they really screwed it up. The cost is $18.49 and they listed it with a second "disc" with only the song Coda on it.

FAIL!

Date Posted: February 08 2013 at 15:18

It's the execution and what the band actually does, not what they had in mind or were trying to do. 
And how i formed my opinion? Honestly it was a mixture of what you said. 

I listened to a few songs on Youtube to get a first impression. Then i sat through most of the album the next day to see if i missed anything and such. I don't even think the album is released here yet, not like i'd buy it anyway. The music didn't grab me whatsoever. I'll keep dipping my foot in the water, to see if my opinions change. But to me it's a clear step downward.

sorry for the delay....

fair enough, I was really starting to wonder if anybody actually listens to a record/cd on a stereo from start to finish anymore...  Your original post was so short, it got me thinking.... 

Riverside are coming to my town so I was curious and wanted more detail on their stuff.   Bands just can't win, when they stick to a specific genre their existing fan base loves it.  when they change a bit, fans scream bloody murder....  Sounds like Riverside fans don't like the new record much.

Youtube for me is a waste, just a popularity contest.  Example, a band I enjoy: Unitopia, had a complete song/video on youtube, and I thought it was by far the worst song on the album but it was certainly the most commercial.  If I was going to make a choice on that based on the youtube presentation I would have missed out on a fantastic record.

Cheers,

-------------

Date Posted: February 08 2013 at 15:32
^ This has been a problem with most prog bands. If they keep a similar sound, fans say they're not being progressive. When a band does mix it up, fans act disappointed and write the band off.

-------------

Date Posted: February 08 2013 at 22:56
Originally posted by Wolfhound Wolfhound wrote:

After a few playthroughs I enjoy the album for the most part, but not as much as some of Riverside's past releases like ADHD or SLS.

I hated ADHD. My least favorite album from them. New album is definitely a grower. It gets better with every listen for me especially when I listen to it really loud and I also like to accompany it with their last EP (Memories in my Head)

-------------

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 02:16
Masterpiece. Buy it!

-------------

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 03:21
I'll have a listen soon... You guys are dragging me into buying prog again....

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 04:58

Youtube for me is a waste, just a popularity contest.  Example, a band I enjoy: Unitopia, had a complete song/video on youtube, and I thought it was by far the worst song on the album but it was certainly the most commercial.  If I was going to make a choice on that based on the youtube presentation I would have missed out on a fantastic record.

Cheers,

Back when the Crossover Team was just Micky and I, I made the observation that MySpace was useless for evaluating Prog Bands, this became what Micky termed Dean's Law: bands put their most accessible/commercial songs on the Internet. Great for selling an album, poor for deciding how Prog it is (and that in itself is a somewhat insular act, liking an album shouldn't be predicated on how Prog it is).

Back on topic, I haven't heard the whole album yet - I started playing it in the car and then the car had to go back to the dealer on a factory recall before it had finished. Foolishly I forgot to remove the CD beforehand. Thus far I can concur that it is softer than any previous album - which is not disappointing because I like that kind of thing and Duda's melancolic voice suits that atmospheric style rather well - whether sustaining that for 50 minutes results in a wholely satisfying album remains to be seen (when I've heared the whole thing I'll know more). For anyone wanting to sample Riverside for the first time, this probably isn't going to be a good starting point.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 10:55
So when Opeth releases a softer album, it's seen as a prog masterpiece. When Riverside releases a softer album, it's seen as garbage.Confused

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:17

So when Opeth releases a softer album, it's seen as a prog masterpiece. When Riverside releases a softer album, it's seen as garbage.Confused

But Opeth's was like 70's so it has to be amazing!!!

I didn't like Heritage btw

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:20

But Opeth's was like 70's so it has to be amazing!!!

I didn't like Heritage btw

I'm referring more to Damnation. Heritage was a big move away from their core sound, whereas Damnation was like an album of their softer songs they were doing up until then.

But what do you mean "like 70s"?

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:29
Don't know how i missed the Damnation reference. Wacko

They use a lot of Mellotrons, Rhodes pianos, and Hammond organs here plus Opeth has said that Joni Mitchell, Rainbow, Magma, Alice Cooper, and such were big influences. 
http://www.guitarworld.com/interview-opeths-mikael-akerfeldt-talks-about-bands-new-album-heritage " rel="nofollow - http://www.guitarworld.com/interview-opeths-mikael-akerfeldt-talks-about-bands-new-album-heritage 
That interview gives some insight in some of choices and influences for the album's sound. 

Either way, i'm not an Opeth fan. Even Damnation began to bore me after a few listens. 

-------------

Posted By: Meegan
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:35
I don't normally like Riverside...

I listened to Out Of Myself a few times and didn't really like it all of that much

However this album has changed my opinion about them, I think I'll give Riverside a second chance Smile

Overall, I would say the album is the best of 2013 so far.

Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:42
^ Try their last album, or their recent EP.

I think Second-Life Syndrome is the best album of their first 3.

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:05
I decided to finally get around to listening to the new album on Spotify. I'm really liking it so far. I'll be sure to pick this one up sooner or later.

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:22
This album is pretty friggin good. I don't understand what's so disappointing about it....

-------------

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:35

^ This has been a problem with most prog bands. If they keep a similar sound, fans say they're not being progressive. When a band does mix it up, fans act disappointed and write the band off.

It has to be said that ADHD was a definite change in direction for the band that worked really well for them.

I havent heard the album yet but I've got it on order since I'm going to see them in March and would like to know the new material. Not expecting a masterpiece since as a rule I prefer heavy Riverside to soft Riverside.

Oh, and as for your previous comment about Opeth releasing softer albums and being hailed as a masterpiece, I hate Damnation and dont like Heritage all that much, bring back the death metal!

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:37
So far, it seems like the new album is a nice balance between the heavier ADHD and the more atmospheric earlier albums, with more upfront keys, somewhat catchy vocal melodies, and lots of rockin' moments.

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:47
I'm liking the sax on "Deprived (Irretrievably Lost Imagination)"

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 15:21

I'm liking the sax on "Deprived (Irretrievably Lost Imagination)"

yeah me too! I felt like this song could be in a Bond movie too. haha LOL

-------------

Posted By: MillsLayne
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 16:50

This album is pretty friggin good. I don't understand what's so disappointing about it....

It's awesome, IMO.  I've only listened to it in full three times, but it keeps getting better with every listen.  The bonus tracks on the second disc were a slight disappointment, though.   

-------------
http://gamercards.exophase.com/xbox/user/MillsLayne/" rel="nofollow">

ht

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 20:46
^^^^ I had not heard the bonus tracks but some reviewers think they were ambient and psychedelic with spacey textures, unlike the rest of the album. I am nnot sure whether to shell out for the expanded edition or not. 

For what its worth I was not disappointed at all with the SONGS album, it is as good as one would hope for Riverside that are always developing their sound, not so metal these days but still incredible music. Similar to Opeth in a way, perhaps metal is changing too it would seem. A lot of metal Bands are getting in to more symphonic music, yet maintaining a hard edge. I think metal bands are experimenting with more than justthe basic thrash and growl, even Morbid Angel did this on their latest, and of course it didnt work but at least they broke the mould from their usial thrash and growl; one of the funniest things is to read the reviews of the album, gut busting stuff.

Back to Riverside though, this latest album is a thing of beauty; one of the best of the year in the early stages. More 5 star albums are to come hopefully, but Riverside have set the bar very high.

-------------

Posted By: MillsLayne
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 21:38
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

^^^^ I had not heard the bonus tracks but some reviewers think they were ambient and psychedelic with spacey textures, unlike the rest of the album. I am nnot sure whether to shell out for the expanded edition or not. 

They weren't bad and I'm sure I'll appreciate them after a few listens, but it just wasn't what I was expecting.  I think what I was disappointed in with the bonus tracks was the lack of vocals.  When I hear Riverside, Mariusz's vocals are like another instrument to me, a trademark of the band.  Since I do like ambience and space rock, I will come to like or even love these tracks, but with the initial listen and kind expecting something else, I was left a little disappointed.

-------------
http://gamercards.exophase.com/xbox/user/MillsLayne/" rel="nofollow">

ht

Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 08:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Back when the Crossover Team was just Micky and I, I made the observation that MySpace was useless for evaluating Prog Bands, this became what Micky termed Dean's Law: bands put their most accessible/commercial songs on the Internet. Great for selling an album, poor for deciding how Prog it is (and that in itself is a somewhat insular act, liking an album shouldn't be predicated on how Prog it is).

I started playing it in the car and then the car had to go back to the dealer on a factory recall before it had finished. Foolishly I forgot to remove the CD beforehand.

Hi Dean,   Tongue

"Dean's Law"Clap, that applies to youtube and most of today's social media.  That brings up a paradox.  Listeners
can't possibly discern a quality musical contribution while scanning youtube or the like. Prog bands complain they can't sell a progressive(less commercial) record.  Yet bands still rely on social media to get the word out. The two continue and we are stuck in that loop.

The computer is invaluable for information but sucks crap for music(unless the PC is a HTPC) as most people have garbage plastic speakers(AND no amp) on their PC.   Perhaps we all need to fashion our computers adjacent to our stereos???

Participate in forums and learn about music on the computer....
Actually listen to the music from start to finish on the stereo...

I know I am a radical, sorry....

By the way, your avatar....  What happened to that nice picture of your friend playing the sax???

Oh, leaving the CD in the car at the repair shop was a rookie mistake, laddie!   That's why I always burn copies
and play the CD-R in the car. Wink

Oh, on topic: I ordered the CD, lookin forward to it.

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 09:29

The computer is invaluable for information but sucks crap for music(unless the PC is a HTPC) as most people have garbage plastic speakers(AND no amp) on their PC.   Perhaps we all need to fashion our computers adjacent to our stereos???

Participate in forums and learn about music on the computer....
Actually listen to the music from start to finish on the stereo...

I know I am a radical, sorry....
You're making assumptions about something I've very little experience in - I don't know how people listen to music on their PCs and I'm not going to start guessing. All I would assume they have systems that reproduce the sounds they like in a manner that pleases them.

Reading what the young folk on this site use, mosty seem to favour headphones for listening to music and whether that's from a dedicated CD player, an mp3 player or a PC then it's all going to sound pretty reasonable. Even if that's not audiophilist levels, anyone should be able to tell whether they like something or not by that approach.

From my own experience: my desk-top PC is plumbed into my hi-fi using a very expensive sound card, my laptop drives some 6" bookshelf speakers via a 10W valve/tube amplifier, before that I used some very nice amplified Kenwood speakers they sold for use in their portable CD players - or I use some moderately priced headphones. None of these things are rocket science and anyone and everyone can do it, so I assume that if people wanted to they would.

By the way, your avatar....  What happened to that nice picture of your friend playing the sax???

At the moment I prefer Delia Derbyshire to Danielle Dax.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 19:42
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

You're making assumptions about something I've very little experience in - I don't know how people listen to music on their PCs and I'm not going to start guessing. All I would assume they have systems that reproduce the sounds they like in a manner that pleases them.

Reading what the young folk on this site use, mosty seem to favour headphones for listening to music and whether that's from a dedicated CD player, an mp3 player or a PC then it's all going to sound pretty reasonable. Even if that's not audiophilist levels, anyone should be able to tell whether they like something or not by that approach.

From my own experience: my desk-top PC is plumbed into my hi-fi using a very expensive sound card, my laptop drives some 6" bookshelf speakers via a 10W valve/tube amplifier, before that I used some very nice amplified Kenwood speakers they sold for use in their portable CD players - or I use some moderately priced headphones. None of these things are rocket science and anyone and everyone can do it, so I assume that if people wanted to they would.

I was not making assumptions and I certainly wasn't thinking of you when I was talking about "cheap plastic speakers" I am glad to hear of your fine set-up and would have expected nothing less from a cat like yourself.   As far as my "assumptions".  They were not.  They are my observations over the last 20 years that the PC has been with us. I do IT and am exposed to hundreds/thousands? of users at work and at their homes.  It is shocking to know what plastic sonic garbage (literally) that people use these days to listen to music.  Not a judgement, just a professional observation.

The crap headphones that most people use with their MP3 players are not even worth mentioning....  And I am no hi-fi snob at all.  I have a modest 5.1 system at home that a real hi-fi snob would vomit on probably.... It doesn't take
much to come up with something like you have quite frankly....

Oh dear God,  I was totally serious in this post?  Wat is it when I talk with you... I can't do any of the usual crazy
DennisMoore stuff....

Cheers,

DM

-------------

Posted By: Jbird
Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 12:28
Bought it yesterday and gave it one listen so far.

I like it a lot, and I tend to prefer heavier music. No, it's not near as heavy as ADHD, but it's very good. I love the acoustic songs..... Smile

Posted By: peart_lee_lifeson
Date Posted: February 17 2013 at 22:48
At this point, I've learned it's best not to say much about an album after the first listen.  Even if you THINK you absolutely hate it, give it another spin (or two) and see what you think.  My mind has been changed time and time again with various music just by simply giving it more of an opportunity.  So, guess I'll have to give it a couple more listens until I can post anything worthwhile.  Wink

-------------
PROG ON!!!

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: February 18 2013 at 10:24
I love Riverside, I can safely say up to this album all their CDs get a lot of playtime on my system. I have downloaded the whole album and have yet decided whether I want to buy the vinyl version. I have listened 2x and not all that excited about it save for 2-3 songs.
As some state it may take some extra effort to fully appreciate...or not.

Dennismoore, this is not the website to discuss audio gear, this is a music website and because of that a large portion of members will listen however they can since part of this site is about exploring new music. You have to use Youtube, Spotify and other online music sites to hear new stuff..Its an inexpensive to zero cost way to hear new music without plopping down $15 for a CD that you may not like.

Hi fi snob?? You might be considered a PC snob Big smile.....I have a crappy laptop with crappy speakers, now I do zero music listening from my PC, but it does help me rip my CD collection in lossless format so I can play thru my home system and get the best sound possible...but it is still a crappy PC.
We are all audiophiles, we listen to music in the best possible way we can that helps us appreciate the music...that is an audiophile.
There is substance to your basic idea of how what you listen to music on, but not for discussion on this site....This is s music discovery site.

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 15:36
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Dennismoore, this is not the website to discuss audio gear...... 

There is substance to your basic idea of how what you listen to music on, but not for discussion on this site....This is s music discovery site.

Get up on the wrong side of the bed?   Too much rain up there in the PNW???

Relax Skippy, this is a public forum. 

My advice to you is break out your old LP of Hemispheres and blast it on that nice analog amp you have.
You will probably feel much better.   Cool

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: February 20 2013 at 00:19
^ Then please post away.......I was just expressing my opinion that I don't think you can tell people what/how they should listen to music on.
I will always buy the lowest priced, basic setup laptop I can get......and I will always spend more money on my audio gear than my PC gear, but that is by choice.

It does not rain in the PNW, that is a myth.......actually reverse that, we get a ton of rain (I tell people this all the time so people stay away and do not move here....we have enough people here LOL)

-------------

Posted By: jdredfield
Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 20:09
I agree. I don't know how many times i have hated an album and gone back years klater and loved it.

Date Posted: March 10 2013 at 13:44
Gave the new album a listen last night, as my copy came in the mail yesterday. It really clicked for me, and seems like a good album to listen to at night. Not the most progressive album by them, the songs themselves more than make up for it. Very well written, and the last epic track is awesome.

The bonus disc is cool, nice background music of spacey/electronic music.

-------------

Posted By: ProgKev
Date Posted: March 10 2013 at 18:39
Just a shame that bonus CD is an outtake from Lunatic Soul.. Anyway  great album. Looking Forward for the show in Poland.

-------------
My Last.FM, Feel free to invite me !    : www.last.fm/user/darkfuneral18

Posted By: deandob
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 01:19
Best album I have heard this year. It grows after a few listens and is a good balance of softer symphonic & metal (for me anyway). A more refined sound, and starting to sound similar to Porcupine Tree, not in a bad way.

Recommended listening for anyone into modern prog/metal.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 03:33
Finally got around to listening to it. A bit of a step down for them, IMO. A little too much hard rock influence for my taste. But I wouldn't go over the cliff like some people are doing...though I hope it's not a trend they continue.

The bonus disc is cool...esp the first part.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Molitro
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 18:00
At the very least I love Deprived and Escalator Shrine.
And both parts of the bonus disc too, actually.

Posted By: dysoriented
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 18:15
Riverside are pretty cool, can't say I thought much of the new album though. Different sound, I can't seem to get on with. But I'm not gonna put my copy on eBay just yet, I reckon like most people after a few listens it might grow on me ^^

Posted By: corascene_dog
Date Posted: March 20 2013 at 17:04
Actually doing my second listen through of SONGS right now.  Didn't like it the first time, but I'm liking it a lot better now.  Kind of the best of Rush, Pink Floyd and Opeth's softer parts.

Posted By: bonestorm
Date Posted: April 07 2013 at 22:20
Like many others this one has grown on me after a few listens.  I'm still conflicted as there are parts that I love and others that I don't like so much.  For example, the main riff of Celebrity Touch irks me, but the softer breakdown is great.  That section from 5:00 to the end is incredible, the way it comes layering in with synth, vocals etc. It's mindblowing. 

Overall very good album though.

-------------
Hibernal http://hibernal.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - http://hibernal.bandcamp.com
"This is a stunning work of art" - Muzik Reviews
"A precious gem" - Dante's Prog

Posted By: ergaster
Date Posted: April 10 2013 at 18:35
This one is a grower.  I was actually rather horrified the first time I played it through, it was quite different, but after the third or fourth go it just started to kick major ass.  I love it wholeheartedly.  It's a bit too new for me to slot it into some position in their discography just yet though. 

The bonus disc is just frikking awesome, I'd buy a whole album of that stuff if they'd make it.  But then I think Lunatic Soul (especially Impressions) is some of the best music I have ever heard in my (not short) life.

I flew from Canada to England to see them in London, and will be seeing them at RoSFest and in Syracuse.  :)  LOVE this band.

-------------
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.

Posted By: frantic
Date Posted: April 16 2013 at 08:01
Like all previous albums it didn't mean much to me at first listenings. I ' ll keep insisting like before. I will see them live on May 31th btw. I hope they would play older ones either, but as far as I know they don't.

-------------
hunger for more prog can never be quenched.

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: April 19 2013 at 02:54
Everything I've heard by this band so far, at least for me, requires multiple listens to start appreciating the true artistic depth of each song, and their newest was no exception. I can safely say, though, that this album does not disappoint, and I was more than happy to give it a 5 star review. It's heavily underrated in my opinion, and I love every minute of it. Depth of Self-Delusion, We Got Used to Us, Deprived, and Escalator Shrine are works of sheer, unadulterated beauty, with the other tracks not far behind. Escalator Shrine is also in the running for my top 10 songs. That's a lot of stuff from yesteryear to compete against, but with each listen, it competes with style. It's astonishing how much better this album becomes every time.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: December 22 2013 at 11:22
What I`m about to email don`t as. I have been NOW WHERE NEAR ONE OF. Album`s by RIVERSIDE. So where to start. Thank You`s.   

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: December 22 2013 at 11:24
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

What I`m about to email don`t as. I have been NOW WHERE NEAR ONE OF. Album`s by RIVERSIDE. So where to start. Thank You`s.   

overall, I'd still probably start with Second Life Syndrome, as it seems to be a very balanced representation of the band's style and output.

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: December 22 2013 at 16:11
I'd start with their debut, Out Of Myself.  One of the greatest debuts ever.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: December 22 2013 at 18:44
Riverside is one of the bands right now and Shrine of New Generation Slaves is one of the best albums this year.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: January 11 2014 at 01:16
As good as I have found 'Shrine...' to be over multiple spins during the last 6 months...., I am currently on track 2 of ADHD and have to say that a lot of the energy has dissipated on the new album.
'Shrine' is very good overall, but only 'Escalator Shrine' really measures up to previous material IMHO.

Date Posted: January 11 2014 at 01:21
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

As good as I have found 'Shrine...' to be over multiple spins during the last 6 months...., I am currently on track 2 of ADHD and have to say that a lot of the energy has dissipated on the new album.
'Shrine' is very good overall, but only 'Escalator Shrine' really measures up to previous material IMHO.
I have to agree, though I'd add "Deprived" as almost as good.  So I guess that's still almost half the album, but somewhat disappointing anyway.  Nonetheless I don't regret having it in my collection.  Wonder what they'll do next.  Hope it isn't another three years off.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: January 11 2014 at 01:26
Maybe a 'dumb' thing to say, but it's generally the longer cuts that deliver the most on 'Shrine'. Something has really grabbed me with these Poles and I can't let go. The dbl LP edition has 2 lengthy 'Night Sessions' on side 4 which are superb but not part of 'Shrine' per-se.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: January 11 2014 at 01:30
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I have to agree, though I'd add "Deprived" as almost as good.  So I guess that's still almost half the album, but somewhat disappointing anyway.  Nonetheless I don't regret having it in my collection.  Wonder what they'll do next.  Hope it isn't another three years off.

There's a lot of love for Shrine...but personally I found it a little boring, of course there are parts of it I like but honestly nothing on it really compares to ADHD. I still prefer it on a lot of prog metal albums I heard this year but I expected much more from these guys.

Date Posted: January 11 2014 at 01:38

Maybe a 'dumb' thing to say, but it's generally the longer cuts that deliver the most on 'Shrine'. Something has really grabbed me with these Poles and I can't let go. The dbl LP edition has 2 lengthy 'Night Sessions' on side 4 which are superb but not part of 'Shrine' per-se.
Right, forgot about those.  Love Night Sessions more than anything on the first half of the album proper.  Rare to have "bonus tracks" of such high quality (TFK I'm looking at you)!

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: January 11 2014 at 01:41
Mariusz has changed his usual bass brand/maker to something new and the magical tone he had is just not entirely there. A small piece maybe within a whole jig-saw, but one I just can't ignore. Maybe it's the production....??

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: January 11 2014 at 01:56

Mariusz has changed his usual bass brand/maker to something new and the magical tone he had is just not entirely there. A small piece maybe within a whole jig-saw, but one I just can't ignore. Maybe it's the production....??

I simply thinks it's the material itself, not enough fire there. They were never very complex or having the songs change every minute but Shrine is even more straight forward.
And yes I agree about the Night Sessions being better I even prefer the EP Memories In My Head.

Date Posted: January 11 2014 at 02:07
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I simply thinks it's the material itself, not enough fire there. They were never very complex or having the songs change every minute but Shrine is even more straight forward.
And yes I agree about the Night Sessions being better I even prefer the EP Memories In My Head.
Love Memories In My Head.  My second favorite, next to their debut, actually.  Maybe it got my hopes up too much that Shrine would be more in that vein!

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: AlexDOM
Date Posted: January 11 2014 at 11:37
I guess I really like their early stuff the most the debut and SLS. Love Out of Myself. But ADHD is wonderful too!

Date Posted: January 11 2014 at 15:58

Glad to see ADHD getting so much love. It's in my top 10 albums ever Thumbs Up Also warms my heart to see it on the top 100 albums list! 

I was glad, though, that they did release SONGS when they did. I never like a band to try re-releasing a masterpiece. IMO the contrast was needed to show they're maturing as artists. Maybe I'm biased in saying that because I actually like SONGS a lot, but an artist that repeats themselves only succeeds in diluting the effectiveness of their best work. At least that's what I've always believed.

Date Posted: January 11 2014 at 18:44
I wouldn't have liked them to repeat ADHD or any other album.  I just don't feel SONGS was the best they could have done.

Still, they have the strongest run of quality albums from any band in this century, that I can think of.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: AlexDOM
Date Posted: January 12 2014 at 21:48
Finally got their Reality Dream dvd oh yeah!!! 

Date Posted: January 15 2014 at 07:53
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Right, forgot about those.  Love Night Sessions more than anything on the first half of the album proper.  Rare to have "bonus tracks" of such high quality (TFK I'm looking at you)!

The "Night Sessions" really elevates this album, although tbh I do love SoNGS as much as any of their other albums.  These guys never sit still style-wise and yet can turn out stuff of such quality, they are so ridiculously consistent over their career.  "Weaker" is just relative.  :)

New Lunatic Soul will be fall 2014, new Riverside 2015 but not sure when. 

-------------
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Chemist99a R.I.P.

Date Posted: January 15 2014 at 20:13
I knew about the new Lunatic Soul album for later this year, but I didn't know about a new Riverside album, where did you hear that?

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2014 at 04:23
^I also am curious about this.

Date Posted: January 19 2014 at 15:17
I pay attention to interviews and announcements on the Facebook pages.  It's easy; anyone can do it.  ;)

Riverside are doing one of the Prog cruises in February, playing European gigs in April, and then taking a long break to work on the next album, slated for 2015.  

-------------
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Chemist99a R.I.P.

Date Posted: January 19 2014 at 19:27

Yay! Clap

Many thanks for sharing! Handshake

Date Posted: January 19 2014 at 22:23
Originally posted by ergaster ergaster wrote:

I pay attention to interviews and announcements on the Facebook pages.  It's easy; anyone can do it.  ;)

Riverside are doing one of the Prog cruises in February, playing European gigs in April, and then taking a long break to work on the next album, slated for 2015.  

I checked on the internet and found nothing. Do you have a link?

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2014 at 08:06
The Riverside Official facebook page, pretty sure you can find that.

https://www.facebook.com/Riversidepl?fref=ts

There is an update on Dec 3rd, another on Nov 27th basically saying the same thing.  I did see an update that said the new album will be in 2015, which is perfectly reasonable since two years between albums is the norm for them. 

You can yell at me next year if I am wrong.

-------------
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Chemist99a R.I.P.

Date Posted: January 20 2014 at 10:01
It doesn't say on the facebook page that they're gonna make a new album though. So I checked with a friend that gave me some inside information and yes Riverside will probably make a new album sometime 2015. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2014 at 10:48
Uh...it *does* say they are going to make a new album though.  Do you need a direct quote?  :-)

At any rate (shameless self-promotion time) I run this page, which is officially sanctioned, if not "Official".  Sometimes I get insider info too.... ;-)

://www.facebook.com/Mariusz.Duda.Street.Team?ref=hl

-------------
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Chemist99a R.I.P.

Date Posted: January 20 2014 at 11:10
OK looks like I need a direct quote, because I am seriously not finding it.

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2014 at 21:34
K...from the Dec. 3rd update on the official Riverside facebook page:  a list of April 2014 tour dates followed by the statement:
"Small reminder - these shows will be the last ones before a longer break. After them we´ll hide in the studio to work on the new album"

From the November 27th update (Riverside FB page):

"
Riverside Live 2014

We are very pleased to inform that the "New Generation Tour" is not over. Due to the huge interest and the success of our latest album ¨Shrine of New Generation Slaves", and also due to the fact that some people are only getting to know us, we are going to play for you in a few more places in April 2014. Obviously, there will be changes in the setlist and lost of surprises. Those shows will be the last ones before a longer break. After them we´ll hide in the studio to work on our sixth album."

-------------
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Chemist99a R.I.P.

Date Posted: January 21 2014 at 15:17
Thumbs Up Thank you I must have missed this somehow. Bowdown

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2014 at 16:25
You are welcome. 

We Aim to Please.  Wink

-------------
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Chemist99a R.I.P.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: March 01 2014 at 04:54
woooooooooooooooow I`ve just gotten into this band there AMAZING

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk