Replies:
Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 15:22
Irreplaceable.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 15:23
My thoughts exactly. There's only one real Jon for Yes.

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 15:26
Bob Drake.  Wink

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: freyacat
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 15:38
Well, if no-one can replace Jon Anderson, then there was no point in having this poll.
I love Jon.  His voice and his lyrics have been my companion for many years, and my gratitude for all hae has given us knows no bounds.
But we all grow old, and every career comes to a close.  I started noticing in the mid-90's that Jon had some vocal problems, but also it seemed that he brought less energy and passion to his performance.  I can completely understand.  How many times can you sing "All Good People" and still feel like you mean it?
Then, a couple of years ago, I caught Benoit David performing with Yes outside of Seattle.  What I experienced was like a whole new band.  As if these songs had jsut been written, and urgently needed to be heard.
Benoit's voice was sweet and high and clear like Jon in the 70's.  It is obvious that his performance was influenced by Jon Anderson, and yet, he brought his own nuances to the songs.
That show, and the subsequent album, "Fly From Here" showed me that there is a future for YES music, that lives on beyond the personalities.
I think Jon Davison will do well, also.  I have not heard him perform with Yes yet, and they have not made an album, so it is too early to cast that vote.
But what Benoit David did was at least as good as what Trevor Horn did on Drama, and much more in the Spirit of Yes in my opinion.
Rather than say Jon Anderson could be replaced, I would like to offer my strong support for the idea that Jon can be succeeded, and that this can be a wonderful thing.

-------------
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time

Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 15:46
Originally posted by freyacat freyacat wrote:

Well, if no-one can replace Jon Anderson, then there was no point in having this poll.
I love Jon.  His voice and his lyrics have been my companion for many years, and my gratitude for all hae has given us knows no bounds.
But we all grow old, and every career comes to a close.  I started noticing in the mid-90's that Jon had some vocal problems, but also it seemed that he brought less energy and passion to his performance.  I can completely understand.  How many times can you sing "All Good People" and still feel like you mean it?
Then, a couple of years ago, I caught Benoit David performing with Yes outside of Seattle.  What I experienced was like a whole new band.  As if these songs had jsut been written, and urgently needed to be heard.
Benoit's voice was sweet and high and clear like Jon in the 70's.  It is obvious that his performance was influenced by Jon Anderson, and yet, he brought his own nuances to the songs.
That show, and the subsequent album, "Fly From Here" showed me that there is a future for YES music, that lives on beyond the personalities.
I think Jon Davison will do well, also.  I have not heard him perform with Yes yet, and they have not made an album, so it is too early to cast that vote.
But what Benoit David did was at least as good as what Trevor Horn did on Drama, and much more in the Spirit of Yes in my opinion.
Rather than say Jon Anderson could be replaced, I would like to offer my strong support for the idea that Jon can be succeeded, and that this can be a wonderful thing.

You know what, this is one of the best posts I have seen on this site. A very well argued, passionate, and intelligent point of view. The fact that I do not agree with it is really beside the point, because I genuinely believe Anderson cannot be replaced in Yes, but I do like the point about "succeeding".

-------------

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 15:48

Well said, Sir. 

if you are remotely interested, you can find Jon Davison performing with Yes on YouTube. I just listened to them today and I'll tell you, I was impressed with Jon's contribution. 

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 16:04
A vote for Trevor Horn.  Drama is one of my favorite Yes albums, up there with the likes of CTTE and GFTO.  Enjoyed his voice and his lyrics.  Kind of wish he'd sang lead on Fly From Here, although I though Benoit did do a good job.  

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 16:38
Jon Davison

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 20:02
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Irreplaceable.
Indeed!!!!!

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 20:21
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Bob Drake.  Wink

Ha! I wonder how many people will get that.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 21:22
If Captain Beefheart were still alive I'd say him

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 22:39
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Bob Drake.  Wink

Probably quite a few!

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 22:42
Benoit David.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: February 09 2013 at 23:15
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Irreplaceable.

having said that Jon had to be replaced because his writing was getting more self-indulgent and bad---and he treated the group as his back up band and did Yes when he wanted to---the other guys were patient but they are strong talents in their own right---and he had a my way or the highway attitude toward the band--the fact that he can't or will not do long tours places the band in bad situation as they want to write and tour all the time---and be an active alive band---it's all too bad as Jon is the voice of Yes---I just wish he was an easier personality to deal with.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 00:38
Whilst Jon Anderson is IRREPLACEABLE, Jon was not there for Yes' ongoing business.  I haven't heard Jon Davison (I haven't even heard any Glass Hammer) - so, Benoit David is a suitable replacement as far as the lead voice is concerned.  I vote for Benoit, despite the fact that Jon is irreplaceable.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 01:24
I'm for no-one, even thout Benoit David has done a good work.
If in the list I'd go for Squire

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 04:06
There are times when Jon Anderson's voice annoys me intensely. Then there are others (and it depends more on my mood than what he's singing) that I think he's completely unique and irreplaceable.

However, I really like David Benoit's voice, both with Mystery and with Yes, so I'll vote for him.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 04:40
Like the last one says: No one can replace JA!

But the guy I liked best was Trevor Horn listen to Run Through The Light to get a hold of what he can do Smile

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 04:44
Dane from Druid has even higher, clearer and more 'angelic' vocal than Anderson, he would have been an excellent successor of Jon. What a shame that his talent faded into uncertainty and obscurity.

From this list, probably Benoit closely followed by Trevor. Jon Davison has not recorded anything with Yes (and who knows if already toured with them), so his inclusion is a bit out of place.

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 05:41
Jon Anderson was undoubtedly an integral part of Yes but saying that he is irreplaceable is going a bit too far, for that money every good musician would be irreplaceable, but for good and bad we have learnt to deal with lots of line-up changes in a lot of other bands, and of course in Yes itself, so let's not give Jon a superhuman status.

A key point in replacing a unique and charismatic musician is not attempting to be a direct clone, finding the right balance between maintaining the spirit and sound of the band but introducing one's own personality and creativity.

From this point of view I really love Drama, Trevor did an excellent job, and Benoit also sang very well in Fly From Here.

From what I have heard in Glass Hammer and a couple of videos of Jon Davison with Yes I would say that he is the one who has the most alike voice as Anderson but this could be for good or for bad, we need to wait if they will release new material together. Singing Anderson's songs he is virtually indistinguishable from him, and the melodies he created in Glass Hammer are very strong, but it's too early to say if he will be the best replacement for Anderson in Yes.

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 06:30
No one can truly replace Jon Anderson. I think Trevor Horn did a good job and Drama was a solid Yes Album. I'm not on the Benoit David bandwagon. I don't care for his voice and I don't care for Fly From Here much at all.

Yes was, and will always be, it's best with Jon Anderson, no one else really.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 08:47
Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

Dane from Druid has even higher, clearer and more 'angelic' vocal than Anderson, he would have been an excellent successor of Jon. What a shame that his talent faded into uncertainty and obscurity.

From this list, probably Benoit closely followed by Trevor. Jon Davison has not recorded anything with Yes (and who knows if already toured with them), so his inclusion is a bit out of place.

I was speaking to one of the members of Druid last year (Neil Brewer) and they don't know exactly what has happened to Dane Stevens either. They think he's still around but not playing at all.

Shame; he had a fabulous voice (though it was a major factor in the "Druid are Yes clones" myth) and he was a very fine guitarist too. He would have added enormously to the Yes sound.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: resurrection
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 09:27
Jon is an irreplaceable treasure. Trevor Horn is talented individual, but no-one can truly replace Jon.

Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 09:29

Jon Davison has not recorded anything with Yes (and who knows if already toured with them), so his inclusion is a bit out of place.

Who knows if Davison has already toured with Yes? Let's ask the know-it-all Mr. Google!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vay4y0DrF8w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WuWcvubyFo

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 09:38
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Jon Davison has not recorded anything with Yes (and who knows if already toured with them), so his inclusion is a bit out of place.

Who knows if Davison has already toured with Yes? Let's ask the know-it-all Mr. Google!

Yup, give the amount of Youtube clips out there on Davison I don't really think his inclusion is a stretch.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 11:17

Indeed, he has toured with them.  In fact, if it counts for anything at all, Annie Haslam saw them on tour last year and had high praise for Davison's singing.  

As a replacement for Anderson as a singer, I do think Davison is the best bet.  cstack was rooting for him when Yes still had Benoit David.   But as a musical visionary, it would be pretty tough for Yes to suitably replace Anderson.   That's probably one of the reasons they seem to be more interested than touring than making a new album.  

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 13:31
Jonsi Wink

-------------

Posted By: Anthony
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 14:16

Exactly, it's a pointless poll. Because Jon Anderson CANNOT be replaced.
Face the facts. Without Jon they made the mediocre "Drama" (but fair is fair, that album still had one good song at the beginning, and one good song at the end). Then, when Jon left to do ABWH, "Yes-West" released NOTHING. And when it came to Union, Yes-West only had four songs to offer (out of the 15 tracks on that album). And "Fly from here" was largely written by The Buggles. Yes simply lacks good ideas, because Jon Anderson is the man with ideas.

-------------
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 14:47
Jon Davison is the best of the replacements.  I actually nominated him on PA back in 2011, due to the deficiencies of Benoit David:

http://progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78495" rel="nofollow - http://progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78495

Davison's vocals on the new Glass Hammer CD "Perilous" are worth a good listen as well!  Very impressive all-around effort by GH.  

Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 14:58
Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

because Jon Anderson is the man with ideas.

OK, OK, we got it. No-one can replace Jon. No-one can compare to him. No-one can match him.

Now, let''s discuss - as someone creatively suggested a few posts earlier - who of the three listed singers could best succeed Jon A., since he is no longer the member of Yes.

What do you think?

Posted By: mrsunhillow
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 16:00
The persons who have the professional vocal range to represent a likeness to Jon on stage do not have the persona, to match.  I recall hearing Dream Theater cover YES song and reading the posts.  Dream Theater was being DT and the voice of DT was completely being himself, not being Jon at all.  My point is that if there is going to be a (YES - The next generation) it should apeal to the next genration.  YES has alway been known for change and thinking outside of the box so why not be radical.  Look half the fans don't believe Jon could be replaced so why not have fun with it and make it next generation reality show and keep the revolving door moving and let the fans see how other celebrity voices would do on tour.  There is no long-term home for another singer!!!  YES deserves respect and deserves recognition at this timeCool  Bring several voices on the same tour and give the fans reason to see the band several times, every tour.  I know it sounds radical but what would the band to with other larger than life stage personalities such as Bruno Mars or Sara BrightmanStar  No, not joking 

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 17:29
^Are you Jon and did you join just for this poll?

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 17:29
Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

Face the facts. Without Jon they made the mediocre "Drama" (but fair is fair, that album still had one good song at the beginning, and one good song at the end). Then, when Jon left to do ABWH, "Yes-West" released NOTHING. And when it came to Union, Yes-West only had four songs to offer (out of the 15 tracks on that album). And "Fly from here" was largely written by The Buggles. Yes simply lacks good ideas, because Jon Anderson is the man with ideas.

Unfortunately, since the 70's  he has lot's of bad ideas--let's face it--if he was a great artist on his own---he'd have an amazing solo career all these years like Peter Gabriel---but without great Yes artists like Howe (who co-wrote many of the classics with Jon), Squire, Bruford, Moraz, Wakeman and White backing him up, collaborating and expanding his "doodle of an idea"  the songs don't sound like much and the proof is his many solo albums generally are half cocked, overall, suck IMO--(with the exception of the first and his Xmas album)---His solo stuff would be amazing if he were the only puppet master in Yes because you can always find other musicians to simply play his "great" compositions.

Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 17:30
Originally posted by mrsunhillow mrsunhillow wrote:

The persons who have the professional vocal range to represent a likeness to Jon on stage do not have the persona, to match.  I recall hearing Dream Theater cover YES song and reading the posts.  Dream Theater was being DT and the voice of DT was completely being himself, not being Jon at all.  My point is that if there is going to be a (YES - The next generation) it should apeal to the next genration.  YES has alway been known for change and thinking outside of the box so why not be radical.  Look half the fans don't believe Jon could be replaced so why not have fun with it and make it next generation reality show and keep the revolving door moving and let the fans see how other celebrity voices would do on tour.  There is no long-term home for another singer!!!  YES deserves respect and deserves recognition at this timeCool  Bring several voices on the same tour and give the fans reason to see the band several times, every tour.  I know it sounds radical but what would the band to with other larger than life stage personalities such as Bruno Mars or Sara BrightmanStar  No, not joking 

Bruno has a good voice--but Sara no thank youLOL

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 17:32
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Bob Drake.  Wink

Probably quite a few!
ZING

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 03:27

Mea maxima culpa!Bowdown
I've listened it and I must admit Jon II. fits to Yes certainly better than Benoit & Trevor. I'm looking forward to a new album with him!

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 04:36
Sara Brightman? Confused Cry Dead You must be having a giraffe.

Anyway, I won't judge the latest new guy until they release an album with him. I like David's voice on "Fly From Here", I have a lot of respect for Trevor Horn but he never had the range required to sing Yes. I still remember him going red in the face at Hammersmith Odeon trying to get the high notes.

Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 07:25
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Anyway, I won't judge the latest new guy until they release an album with him. I like David's voice on "Fly From Here", I have a lot of respect for Trevor Horn but he never had the range required to sing Yes. I still remember him going red in the face at Hammersmith Odeon trying to get the high notes.

Yes, it was the same at Deeside Leisure Centre when I saw them there. It ended up ugly, with a few objects being thrown at the stage.

-------------

Posted By: NickHall
Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 14:05
Benoit David; he copies Jon anyway

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 21:05
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Indeed, apart from the fact that Brightman's music isn't particularly interesting, I rather find her voice kind of ugly, at least at times.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 21:11

Not sure I agree about Anderson's singing in the 90's... perhaps I should listen more closely to make a better comparison, but on Keys to Ascension and Yes Symphonic I find his singing impecable, and in some points even more emotional, and many of my favourite versions of Yes songs come from this two albums. Now, by the time of "Songs of Tsongas" I did notice he couldn't sing quiet as well anymore.

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 03:02
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

Benoit David.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk