Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=91972
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 01:33
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favorite Song on Trespass
Posted By: pfloyd
Subject: Favorite Song on Trespass
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 11:43
Just curious. I think this is a really consistent album, with no weak spots. except for maybe dusk. 

Its very close for me, but i'm gonna go with Visions of Angels.

-------------
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

Replies:
Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 11:48
The Knife ( and it has to be the original studio version not the messy version on Genesis Live)

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 11:54
Looking for Someone - one of my top 10 Genesis tracks.

My overall rank
1. Looking for Someone
2. Visions of Angels
3. Stagnation
3. Dusk (tie)
4. The Knife
5. White Mountain

That makes is appear as if I don't like #4 and #5, but that is not the case.  It's a wonderful album all around.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 11:58
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The Knife ( and it has to be the original studio version not the messy version on Genesis Live)

You make me sad all the time. I  am sure we wouldn't get on despite both being fans of ELP

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 11:59
Visions of angels followed by the Knife

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 12:00
The last three are my favourites. Out of these I choose The Knife.

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 12:04
The Knife is the only very good song on there.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 12:11
Nobody needs to discover me, I'm back again.
You see the sunlight through the trees, to keep you warm
in peaceful shades of green
Yet in the darkness of my mind
Damascus wasn't far behind.

Spectacular. Very closely, tightly followed, almost matched, by "Visions of Angels". I should listen to this album again sometime soon.

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 12:25
"Stagnation" all the way--though I love "Dusk." The former is a Top 5 all-time Genesis song for me. Eerie and moody, powerful and subtle, too. And not your standard song construct, either. A great indicator of the great things to come.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 12:35
Originally posted by pfloyd pfloyd wrote:

Just curious. I think this is a really consistent album, with no weak spots. except for maybe dusk. 

It is a really consistent album. I have no real favorite. I voted for White Mountain, because it never gets the respect it deserves. I really like the story, and it was the first exhibition of the coherent narrative epics that would later come with Fountain of Salmacis and Return of the Giant Hogweed. White Mountain was also a very atmospheric piece with that grand sound, and it was before they procured a mellotron. White Mountain was the best precursor of what was to come, I think.

If I had read your post before voting, though, I might've voted for Dusk. I love Dusk. I learned how to play it many years ago, though I've forgotten it now. I used a capo, but always wanted to investigate if there was a way to play it without one, or if I would've needed an alternate tuning to go capo-less. It's really fascinating comparing it with the earlier version of Dusk and seeing the improvements made on the Trespass version.

Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 12:35
Stagnation is one of my favorite Genesis songs, so to pick was easy!! Finally an easy poll!

-------------
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 12:53
Visions of Angels.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 13:16
The Knife. The ending is one of the most spine-chilling moments that I know in prog, but the whole song is fantastic.
My nr. 2 would be Looking For Someone.

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 13:19
The last side of the album is just gold - all classic tracks. Stagnation is, now that I come to think of it, probably my all time favourite Genesis track, so my vote goes to that. I love the dynamics and beauty of the song.

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 14:15
'Stagnation' for me !!  I just adore that song start to finish but especially when Banks noodles around with his Hammond's pitch-bend thingy.......

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 14:52
The Knife

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 15:39
They're all great, but The Knife is the best of all.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 15:49
I love all of them, but Stagnation 

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 15:53
Genesis were signed by Charisma on the strength of Visions of Angels live. Who am I to argue with the great Strat? A beautiful song, which I never tire of hearing.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 17:34
The Knife followed by Stagnation

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 17:36
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

You make me sad all the time. I  am sure we wouldn't get on despite both being fans of ELP

But he's right. Tongue

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 22:21
I voted for Stagnation. Dusk isn't bad actually. It serves as a good link between Stagnation and the knife.

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: February 10 2013 at 23:40
I have to vote "The Knife" it was the first Gabriel era Genesis song I heard so it holds a certain sentimental value. I just wish they would have played the song live with the same lyrics as the studio version. I even have the very first known live recording of the song from 1971, (the sound quality is just horrible) but still no sign of the album version lyrics.Unhappy

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 02:49
Really magnificient album, with no weak moments. Also Dusk, although has zero votes, is a good and pleasant song. Tough choice, I pick probably Stagnation, slightly over White Mountain.

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 03:02
Another vote for Stagnation.

Posted By: HarbouringTheSoul
Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 03:43
Why did "Dusk" have no votes before mine? It's a magnificent track!On the other hand, I really don't see the fuss about "Stagnation". It's disjointed, directionless and for the most part unmemorable.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 03:50
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

Why did "Dusk" have no votes before mine? It's a magnificent track!On the other hand, I really don't see the fuss about "Stagnation". It's disjointed, directionless and for the most part unmemorable.
How could you say that Shocked ?????!!!!!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 04:15

I much prefer the Genesis Live version, especially the instrumental section which blows the studio version out of the water.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 04:25
It's a pretty consistent album all round in my opinion. I still sometimes enjoy it more than Nursery Cryme.

Best track for me is Stagnation.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: HarbouringTheSoul
Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 05:01
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

How could you say that Shocked ?????!!!!!

Because that's what I think? "Stagnation" would serve as a pretty good summation of what I'm not looking for in progressive rock.

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 05:09
Went with Dusk...it's gorgeous. This album continues to get better whenever I bring it out for a spin, and Peter's vocals have a bit more soul to them and less theatrics here. Very cool.

Posted By: wilmon91
Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 05:36
Originally posted by pfloyd pfloyd wrote:

I think this is a really consistent album, with no weak spots. except for maybe dusk. 

The verse in Visions of Angels is great with the two melodies, one in the vocals and another instrumental melody at the same time. The chorus is not as interesting though.

I guess I would "rank" the songs in this order:

1. Stagnation 
2. Looking for Someone , White Mountain and Dusk
5. Visions of Angels
6. The Knife

Not a big fan of The Knife, it's okay, but the rest is great.

Posted By: Mr. Mustard
Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 17:10
Stagnation.

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 18:49
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

The Knife followed by Stagnation
The opposite of this.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 11 2013 at 20:47
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I much prefer the Genesis Live version, especially the instrumental section which blows the studio version out of the water.

Yeah, I guess I would also go with The Knife. Though I would agree this is a very consistent album... as a matter of fact it may be my favourite Genesis album as a whole, given this one doesn't have any annoying song to ruin it (though it doesn't have anything as brilliant as "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight", "Firth of Fifth", "Cinema Show", "Supper's Ready" or "Musical Box"). Yet, perhaps my choice for The Knife comes because I have known it longer, thanks to the Live version... and because of this same thing I kind of prefer said live version, I just kind of find it a tiny bit stronger, specially on the drums; though perhaps the original one does sound a bit nicer.

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 02:57
1. The knife
2. Looking for someone

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 08:56
Looking For Someone and Stagnation are my favourites. I'll give a sympathic vote for the former this time around.

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: Josef_K
Date Posted: February 13 2013 at 10:25
White Mountain has been my favorite since I bought this album, which was long before I knew there was something called "progressive rock" Still have no idea why I bought the album in the first place... maybe it was the artwork... Then again, all songs are great and flow fantasticly, except "The Knife" which is more than a bit thrown in there, but that is (as explained in the artwork) a highly conscious move and one that turned out really good as well.

-------------
Leave the past to burn,
At least that's been his own

- Peter Hammill

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk