Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=91998
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 08:23
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Some 60s music poll of my own choice
Posted By: Icarium
Subject: Some 60s music poll of my own choice
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 02:45
60s music that have influenced ME, and who I decided to add into a poll. No other bands that im not influenced by can be in the poll. so sorry if your favourite band is NOT in the poll. 

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Sumdeus
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 04:20
Floyd is my favorite band overall but these are all top tie. If you had included Grateful Dead or The Doors it might have been a bit harder for me to pick one haha

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Posted By: HarbouringTheSoul
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 05:23
Generally I'd have to hand it to the Beatles, but lately I've really been into Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme, so I'm gonna go with S&G for this one.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 05:28
For sixties output? Beatles no question..Floyds best material. comes later.

Beatles is my CHOICE!!!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 05:37
1. Pink Floyd
2. Beatles
3. Simon & Garfunkel

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 05:50
Beatles first, Floyd close behind.

Probably then Cream, Dylan, and Procol Harum, in that order.

With Hendrix and Mrs Robinson at the bottom of a very elite group of bands.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 06:44
As Snow Dog said: Floyd's best material comes later.
As for Simon & Garfunkel: Bridge Over Troubled Water is from 1970 and for me it would  only be Bookends that stands out in the 1960s.
For me it would be a choice between the Beatles and Procol Harum. 
That's not an easy choice.
Oh well, Procol Harum, but only by a slight margin. The first three albums are brilliant for the biggest part.

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 10:15
Jimi Hendrix for me. 

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 10:20
The Beatles beats out the Floyd for me.  My three favorite albums of theirs Meddle, WYWH and Animals all come from the 70's, as well as AHM and OBC, my other two favs. 

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 10:28
Cream. Though my fav 60's band is The Doors.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 10:57
Hendrix.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 14:19
Is this based purely on their material from that decade or the bands in general? 

Oh well, gotta go with The Beatles. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 14:38
I think Vanilla Fudge should have been a choice on the list. a very underrated band

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 14:39
1.The Beatles
2.The Jimi Hendrix Experience
3.Cream
4.Simon and Garfunkel
5.Pink Floyd
6.Bob Dylan
7.Procol Harem

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 14:40
Mister Zimmerman.

-------------

Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 17:26
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I think Vanilla Fudge should have been a choice on the list. a very underrated band
they have not influenced me personaly with their music, nor has the Doors. Unhappy

-------------

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 17:37
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

they have not influenced me personaly with their music, nor has the Doors. Unhappy

and I am left completely cold by Bob Dylan, whose lyrics are good but whose music is totally uninteresting and whose voice I can't stand. he should have stuck to writing poems. the only Bob Dylan song I like is "Hurricane". I would have given him the advice Judas gives to Jesus in the opening song of "Jesus Christ Superstar": he should have stayed a carpenter, if that little bit of wordplay which perhaps not everyone will get is allowed

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: February 12 2013 at 18:11
I can't not vote for The Beatles

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: February 13 2013 at 02:22

I would have given him the advice Judas gives to Jesus in the opening song of "Jesus Christ Superstar": he should have stayed a carpenter, if that little bit of wordplay which perhaps not everyone will get is allowed

Then I'm glad he didn't consulted with you.

I voted for the obvious.

Date Posted: February 13 2013 at 02:42

I strongly suggest you listen to more Doors then :P

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 02:49
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

maybe he doesn't like the doors Unhappy

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 03:09
The Floyd

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 03:13
strong list but James Marshall Hendrix was the most innovative musician of his generation

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 03:15
Procol Harum from that list. Cream were great too.

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 08:31
i frogott both the Doors and Velvet Underground in the poll

-------------

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 09:28
Usually I would have voted for Pink Floyd, as I'm a big fan of their earlier years.  But the chance to see Bob Dylan coming last in a poll of 60s music prompted me to give Cream a much-deserved vote.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 10:23
The Beatles, followed by Dylan and Hendrix.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 10:30
The Beatles = PF => No vote. I really have to get more Procol Harum music.

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 12:13
Paul Simon is one of my favorite lyricists—far superior, in my opinion, to Lennon or McCartney. Simon and Garfunkle's music is very competent and the vocal harmonies are refreshing. They also play with form in some very interesting ways. The Beatles had a knack for experimentation, which is their main asset. Unfortunately, with Lennon's chrome-wounds on his guitar as well as some other factors, they often sound stagnant. Their songwriting is decent but not amazing, to my aesthetic, and they are often overplayed and overrated. That's not to say they aren't a great group, but forced with the decision to choose between them and Simon and Garfunkle, I choose the latter.

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:44
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

maybe he doesn't like the doors Unhappy

You don't just not like The Doors. I argue that anyone who says they don't really like The Doors that much simply needs to listen to more Doors.

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:06

and I am left completely cold by Bob Dylan, whose lyrics are good but whose music is totally uninteresting and whose voice I can't stand. he should have stuck to writing poems. the only Bob Dylan song I like is "Hurricane". I would have given him the advice Judas gives to Jesus in the opening song of "Jesus Christ Superstar": he should have stayed a carpenter, if that little bit of wordplay which perhaps not everyone will get is allowed.
I wholeheartedly agree with you (though I'm not so sure about the lyrics since as a music listener I care about the music more than the lyrics). I don't understand what people see in his work. The only songs I like by this man are "Knocking on Heaven's Door", "Masters of War", and "Blowing in the Wind". The rest is just beyond me.

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:10
To me Bob Dylan is easily one of America's greatest songwriters.

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:11
^ The reason being ... ?

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:13
Amazing with words, amazing with ideas. Tasteful with music. He embodies the whole spirit and life of the 60's counterculture. I don't really know how else to explain, all you have to do is put on any classic record of his and it's all there in the words and music. But it's the kinda stuff you gotta reaaally get into. Maybe that's why people don't dig it? I can certainly see how if someone puts on a Dylan record and expects to get instantly wow'd they'd walk away thinking "he's not that good at singing OR guitar..." but if you really pay attention, the genius is all there.

-------------

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:15
I love the Doors, but even i say their sound is a bit monotonous. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:16

Amazing with words, amazing with ideas. Tasteful with music. He embodies the whole spirit and life of the 60's counterculture. I don't really know how else to explain, all you have to do is put on any classic record of his and it's all there in the words and music. But it's the kinda stuff you gotta reaaally get into. Maybe that's why people don't dig it? I can certainly see how if someone puts on a Dylan record and expects to get instantly wow'd they'd walk away thinking "he's not that good at singing OR guitar..." but if you really pay attention, the genius is all there.
I agree with this Clap

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:17
Doors? Monotonous? how in the world do you get to that thought?

-------------

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 17:14

I'm not a huge Bob Dylan fan, but I don't mind the singing or the guitar. In fact, I'd say his singing is his most interesting asset. As far as lyrics go, he's never knocked me off my feet, but I'm a minority in that regard. That said, I'm not familiar with all of his discography. I get the core of what you're saying, though, and agree. With certain artists, you have to back up and appreciate the whole before you can really appreciate the individual parts.

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 18:00
im a sucker for All Along the Watchtower, both the Dylan and the Hendrix version.

no matter how manny times i hear it , still gives me chills

the anthem of the 60s

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 18:07
check out this wicked version, awesome hammond solo

-------------

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 22:10

Definitely agree here.
Andrey if you are interested a little bit in Dylan try Desire. The music is superb and it's one of those special sounding albums too, of course the main attraction is the singing.

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 23:04
^ Noted. Will check it out.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk