Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92048
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 04:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Least favorite Rush longs
Posted By: Kotro
Subject: Least favorite Rush longs
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:17
As a Rush fan I find it very hard to choose a favorite track or album, there is too much I love equaly - but in a band that puts everything they come up with on their albums there are bound to be some lesser material. Personaly, I find that most of their longer tracks are not at the same level as the shorter ones - they never did master the "epic" format, IMO. 

So, here is a list of all their tracks over 8 minutes long, which I find is an adequate lenght for a song to enter the "epic" scope. Jacob's Ladder, off by just over 30 seconds from the 8 minute mark, is the only exception, as I feel that track's structure is closer the other tracks that to Rush's shorter songs.

Myself, I think I have to go with The Camera Eye. I think it's the weakest piece on an almost faultless record, just too long, repetitive, boring. 

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Replies:
Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:21
Lamneth

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:28
Jacob's Ladder, too repetitive for my liking it's still good though 

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Melomaniac
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:30
The Camera Eye here also.  2nd least favorite of the longs would be Jacob's Ladder. Xanadu & Cygnus X1 are obviously excellent songs, but for some reason I have ALWAYS had a very soft spot for The Necromancer and The Fountain of Lamneth, all of Caress of Steel for that matter.  Of all the early albums and epics, I think Geddy's vocals on CoS are the most heartfelt, and Necromancer has some very trippy moments and hard rocking moments, and I love the diversity of Lamneth.

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:32
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

The Camera Eye here also.  2nd least favorite of the longs would be Jacob's Ladder. Xanadu & Cygnus X1 are obviously excellent songs, but for some reason I have ALWAYS had a very soft spot for The Necromancer and The Fountain of Lamneth, all of Caress of Steel for that matter.  Of all the early albums and epics, I think Geddy's vocals on CoS are the most heartfelt, and Necromancer has some very trippy moments and hard rocking moments, and I love the diversity of Lamneth.

What's wrong with The Camera Eye?? I love it

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:34
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

As a Rush fan I find it very hard to choose a favorite track or album, there is too much I love equaly - but in a band that puts everything they come up with on their albums there are bound to be some lesser material. Personaly, I find that most of their longer tracks are not at the same level as the shorter ones - they never did master the "epic" format, IMO. 

So, here is a list of all their tracks over 8 minutes long, which I find is an adequate lenght for a song to enter the "epic" scope. Jacob's Ladder, off by just over 30 seconds from the 8 minute mark, is the only exception, as I feel that track's structure is closer the other tracks that to Rush's shorter songs.

Myself, I think I have to go with The Camera Eye. I think it's the weakest piece on an almost faultless record, just too long, repetitive, boring. 

Smoke    you are smoking something, nothing repetitive about it, now Jacob's Ladder is a different story

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:35
Hemispheres.  18.04 minutes? I thought it was much longer!

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:35
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

There is nothing wrong with The Camera Eye per se, I love it also (almost an unconditional Rush fan myself, except for that dreadful Test for Echo album), it's just the one I love the least ; I think it would have been a better song had it been shorter and less repetitive.

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:44

There is nothing wrong with The Camera Eye per se, I love it also (almost an unconditional Rush fan myself, except for that dreadful Test for Echo album), it's just the one I love the least ; I think it would have been a better song had it been shorter and less repetitive.

repetitive??? Confused  I don't hear it? Where?? the riff before the verses?? I feel it's brilliant and not repetitive

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:47
Easily 2112 for me.  I like everything else on the list significantly better. 

-------------

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:54
By-Tor is an easy choice for me. Never cared for it. I much rather listen to Anthem or Fly By Night.

Fountain having two votes? Have they ever listened to it?

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:58
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I feel the same way, I think it's absolutely amazing and varied.  But to each their own, and I think this forum would be a better place if we all respected each other's opinions and tastes !  Hug

-------------

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:58
What? Fountain of Lamneth is one of the best Rush songs, not one of the worst.
That said, I simply hate By-Tor.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:01
the Necromancer. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:02
In all honesty, I like them all but I voted for the Fountain of Lamneth in part because it's not integrated as one unified piece imo and also because I like it least. It just doesn't strike me as an epic or long track but rather a bunch of songs stiched together.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:06
I like all of them a lot.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:10
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

In all honesty, I like them all but I voted for the Fountain of Lamneth in part because it's not integrated as one unified piece imo and also because I like it least. It just doesn't strike me as an epic or long track but rather a bunch of songs stiched together.
It's a sort of a proto-2112. Instead of a single,progressing tune - it tends to have the feeling of movements. I don't really think this takes away from the song, but rather how the movements are stitched together. I'd agree that Fountain seems like the movements are a bit abrupt, but the track as a whole is quite enjoyable. 

-------------

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:18
The Camera Eye

-------------

Posted By: Mr. Mustard
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:23
They're all good, But The Fountain is a tad messy.

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 16:51
I like all of these. I vote for By-Tor and the Snow Dog, just before The Necromancer and 2112.

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 17:14
Never saw a lot of value in side one of Hemispheres, so this was an easy vote for me.  Luckily side 2 of that album is awesome.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 17:15
They were in over their heads at the time for the twelve-and-a-half minute Necromancer but were positively drowning for the near-twenty minute Fountain of Lamneth.  Both songs have their merits, but lengthy composition is not among them.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 17:17
Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

I like it, but compared to the others it's vary lacking. I don't think they got very good at side longs until Hemispheres. Plus I hate the concept of it.

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 17:19
I never really considered the Fountain of Lamneth to be a single song.  It was more like 6 short songs (with long pauses between them and everything) with the 6th one being a reprise of the first.     In the CD age, they have all been programmed as a single track, but in the LP days they weren't presented that way really.

-------------

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 17:34
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

I like it, but compared to the others it's vary lacking. I don't think they got very good at side longs until Hemispheres. Plus I hate the concept of it.

what concept do you hate, the Fountain or Hemispheres?

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: otto pankrock
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 17:55
What, Trees isn't on the list?

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 17:58
Originally posted by otto pankrock otto pankrock wrote:

What, Trees isn't on the list?

3. " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trees_%28Rush_song%29" rel="nofollow - The Trees "   4:46

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 17:59

Fountain
I hate the idea of working all your life to achieve one life goal. I don't think that's how life is.

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 18:04

Fountain
I hate the idea of working all your life to achieve one life goal. I don't think that's how life is.

fair assessment Smile

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 18:17

repetitive??? Confused  I don't hear it? Where?? the riff before the verses?? I feel it's brilliant and not repetitive

I also find the Camera Eye to be a tad repetitive, though it's still one of my favorite Rush tracks. Anyways, I'll be the first to vote for Xanadu, don't get me wrong it's a marvellous track. I just love it less than the rest of the selection.

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 18:20
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

I also find the Camera Eye to be a tad repetitive, though it's still one of my favorite Rush tracks. Anyways, I'll be the first to vote for Xanadu, don't get me wrong it's a marvellous track. I just love it less than the rest of the selection.

but other stuff that you listen to not that repetitive I bet Ermm

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 18:22
The Camera Eye is "repetitive" only in the sense that it plays two very similar five minute segments twice.  It's still probably my favorite song on this list.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 18:23
"2112" is genuinely my least favorite of these.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 18:25
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

The Camera Eye is "repetitive" only in the sense that it plays two very similar five minute segments twice.  It's still probably my favorite song on this list.

It's called song structure and they decided to go that way, there are very subtle nuances going on Wink

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 21:51
The Fountain of Lamneth.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 22:32

By-Tor is an easy choice for me. Never cared for it. I much rather listen to Anthem or Fly By Night.

By-Tor was an easy pick for me too, love the rest on that list though.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 22:36

It's called song structure and they decided to go that way, there are very subtle nuances going on Wink

You are very defensive of the songs you like. The Camera Eye is my least favorite on the list. I too think it is repetitive and too long. It stretches a small amount of musical material out for ten minutes for no good reason.

-------------

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: February 14 2013 at 23:41
Cygnus X-1 for me.  I've never thought it was one of their better songs.  They had about 6 or 7 minutes of good material for it but stretched it out to 10.  The riffs are somewhat simplistic, which isn't bad necessarily but gets kind of old when they're played over and over again for 10 minutes.  And although I admire their effort to accurately portray the feeling of being sucked into a black hole, it just doesn't do it for me and it sounds like they're trying way too hard. 

I still like the song, though, and could listen to it over and over again.  Go figure, I'm a fanboy.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: mongofa
Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 00:07
My least favorite Rush song is King Crimson

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 00:20
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

You are very defensive of the songs you like. The Camera Eye is my least favorite on the list. I too think it is repetitive and too long. It stretches a small amount of musical material out for ten minutes for no good reason.

like you aren't

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 00:23

There are plenty of Prog songs that I know are like that, but don't get bashed, why is that??
For example In The Court or The Talking Drum are way more repetitive than this song is

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 00:32
Fountain for me as well. Like HolyMoly said they are few different songs put together, it's good material but as an epic I don't think it works. The Necromancer  is my favorite song here.

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 00:33
The Talking Drum is meant to be repetitive though. It's sort of just a jam with no lyrics. ITCOTCK is very repetitive but then again so is most of Close to the Edge(still better than ITCOTCK though).

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 00:36

The Talking Drum is meant to be repetitive though. It's sort of just a jam with no lyrics. ITCOTCK is very repetitive but then again so is most of Close to the Edge(still better than ITCOTCK though).

Which part of Close To The Edge??? I haven't heard it???

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 00:41

There are plenty of Prog songs that I know are like that, but don't get bashed, why is that??For example In The Court or The Talking Drum are way more repetitive than this song is

Why do you always have to mention King Crimson in every single thread? Just let people have their opinions.

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 00:48
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

There are plenty of Prog songs that I know are like that, but don't get bashed, why is that??For example In The Court or The Talking Drum are way more repetitive than this song is

Why do you always have to mention King Crimson in every single thread? Just let people have their opinions.

I don't always mention King Crimson, I'll admit I mention them a lot but not always. I felt it was an example nothing moreSmile

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 00:49

Well Siberian Khatru is pretty repetitive and to some degree so is the title track. The whole I get up I get down thing is repeated too many times imo. If it wasn't for this it would be the best prog epic of all time and not Supper's Ready. Also, ELP's karn evil 9 from brain salad surgery(the whole welcome back my friends thing)is pretty repetitive.

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 00:53

Well Siberian Khatru is pretty repetitive and to some degree so is the title track. The whole I get up I get down thing is repeated too many times imo. If it wasn't for this it would be the best prog epic of all time and not Supper's Ready. Also, ELP's karn evil 9 from brain salad surgery(the whole welcome back my friends thing)is pretty repetitive.

Well Siberian Khatru is repetitive but it has a certain magic and funk that I love about it and that solo(oh my)
I find Karn Evil 9 to be a mind-blower and has many different changes that I feel give it more of a boost but hell we all have our opinions of music,right??

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 00:57
Yep. It was really only that "welcome back my friends" part that I think went on too much. It was in the radio edit then it pops up again later and I'm like "give me a break already." Lol. Too be fair I haven't heard the whole album in a long time.It's still very good. But yeah nobody's going to agree one hundred percent on everything. Imagine how boring it would be if we did. Smile

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 04:15
I'm a bit dismayed by the lack of liking for By Tor. One of their very best songs imo.

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 05:00
^And I can't believe you voted for The Necromancer Wink

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 05:12
Was La Villa Strangiato (9:35) previously assumed to get no votes? It is the only lacking 8+ minute track.

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 05:16
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

I like it, but it's a bit lame. Especially the end. Not sure even Rush like that one. But with Snow Dog people here are actually disliking it.Confused

It was close between that or The Camera Eye. Which just seems to go nowhere and in the breakdown section I bwish they had done more. Butv recently I have been listening tom it and the bass playing is amazing. After all these years it's actually growing on me.

-------------

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 05:22
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Was La Villa Strangiato (9:35) previously assumed to get no votes? It is the only lacking 8+ minute track.

Completely forgot about it! Pinch

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 06:01
By Tor gets my vote.

Nothing wrong with it, I simply don't like it as much as the others on the list.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 06:33
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

the Necromancer. 
Agreed, too silly for words. The sort of song that people take the p*ss out of prog for.

Wait a minute, Fountain of Lamneth is a bit like that, but musically it's much better.

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 06:34

Because it's sh*te?

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 07:17
The Necromancer.

To be honest, the only song I actually really like from Caress of Steel is "Bastille Day".

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 07:26
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

the Necromancer. 
Agreed, too silly for words. The sort of song that people take the p*ss out of prog for.

Wait a minute, Fountain of Lamneth is a bit like that, but musically it's much better.

I  am glad someone agrees with me. It does make me cringe a bit. It's just so.....awkward. A band learning their art. But I still like it though.

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 07:31
I like the smooth psychedelic sound of The Necromancer - it's probably my favorite song on that album.  It reminds a bit of what Spirit was doing at the time (say, on "Spirit of '76).  It's really the only Rush song that sounds like that, too.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 07:48
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

The Necromancer.

To be honest, the only song I actually really like from Caress of Steel is "Bastille Day".

It's funny how tastes can differ so much. Bastille Day is among my least favourite early era Rush songs.

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 07:50
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

The Necromancer.

It's funny how tastes can differ so much. Bastille Day is among my least favourite early era Rush songs.

But it's a classic!

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 07:55

The Necromancer.

But it's a classic!

It seems to be regarded as such. It's not a view I share.

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 08:24

The Necromancer.

But it's a classic!
I'm agreeing again, I especially like the version on All The World's a Stage - and it was the first song I played at my first ever gig!

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 08:31
I dig the rockin' riffs of Bastille Day.

The Necromancer certainly isn't the worst from that album...that would be I Think I'm Going Bald. The Fountain is pretty rough too, but I get a kick out of it and find some parts entertainingly goofy (Didacts & Narpets cracked me up when I first heard it). I can't even remember Lakeside Park...I need to listen to this album again, it's been a long time.

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 08:47
Tietacks and Armpits is awesome.

"LISTEN!....."

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 09:21

I like the smooth psychedelic sound of The Necromancer - it's probably my favorite song on that album.  It reminds a bit of what Spirit was doing at the time (say, on "Spirit of '76).  It's really the only Rush song that sounds like that, too.

I like that smooth psychedelic vibe with those low pitched vocals too. And that totally kicking ass middle part is too awesome.Clap

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 09:48

I like that smooth psychedelic vibe with those low pitched vocals too. And that totally kicking ass middle part is too awesome.Clap
The speaking voice on Necromancer just cracks me up, I can't take it seriously. It's all a bit too Spinal Tap.

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 10:08
LOL
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

The speaking voice on Necromancer just cracks me up, I can't take it seriously. It's all a bit too Spinal Tap.

LOL I still like it.

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 17:13
I agree that both Fountain and Necromancer are flawed and awkward, but I can't help liking them. The whole album has a certain idiosyncratic charm.

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 17:17

I agree that both Fountain and Necromancer are flawed and awkward, but I can't help liking them. The whole album has a certain idiosyncratic charm.

I like them too. But if I have to choose.....

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 17:35

You'd go with By-Tor.

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 18:32

You'd go with By-Tor.

Most definitely not. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 18:32

You'd go with By-Tor.

Most definitely not. 

My trap has failed.

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 19:39

You'd go with By-Tor.

Most definitely not. 

My trap has failed.
Snow Dog killed By-Tor, what did you expect?

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: February 15 2013 at 22:28
Hmm...to me The Necromancer is definitely flawed, the work of a band trying to find their sound, but I agree with Steve that it's special in that it's a unique song in Rush's catalog.  No song before or after (until Vapor Trails) had the same layered, psychedelic feel to it.  I mean, there's three or four guitar parts going on at once in parts of that song.  As a narrative it's a bit lame, but I think the fact that Alex basically tells the whole story with his guitar makes up for it.  It's basically one long guitar solo, punctuated by lyrics.

Caress of Steel as a whole is somewhat of an oddball.  Some of the parts are - dare I say - experimental?  You have the dissonant psychedelic noodling in The Necromancer; the percussion solo with screaming in Fountain...in some ways it's their "proggiest" album.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: The Mystical
Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 07:45
I fail to see how any Rush fan can vote Fountain of Lamneth.

-------------
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.

Posted By: freyacat
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 11:36
I concur with the shock of those posters who cannot imagine someone voting against the Fountain of Lamneth.  It's like a Yes fan voting against "Heart of the Sunrise."

By-Tor is the dispensable track on the list in my opinion, because it fails to meet one essential criterion for an epic - the story, however fantastical, must be a metaphor for something we can possibly relate to.  The simple plot of man vs. beast fails to reveal anything other than a conflict between man and beast.

-------------
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time

Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 11:39
Originally posted by freyacat freyacat wrote:

By-Tor is the dispensable track on the list in my opinion, because it fails to meet one essential criterion for an epic - the story, however fantastical, must be a metaphor for something we can possibly relate to.  

I didn't even realise these were the rules.

-------------

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 11:48

Originally posted by freyacat freyacat wrote:

By-Tor is the dispensable track on the list in my opinion, because it fails to meet one essential criterion for an epic - the story, however fantastical, must be a metaphor for something we can possibly relate to.  

I didn't even realise these were the rules.

Did you miss the memo?  Wink

By that logic, you'd have to eliminate The Necromancer as well.  And, taking that further, unless you've lived through the apocalypse, you'd have to eliminate Supper's Ready.  And everything by Jon Anderson is immediately off the table. 

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 18:23
After more listens to Caress of Steel recently, the two epics from that album have really begun to grow on me.

My least favorites of Rush's epics would have to be one of the ones from Permanent Waves, though I don't quite know which one. Geek

Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 18:29
But Permanent Waves is the perfect album..

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 18:55

I've always found it a cold and unmemorable island in the midst of many classics. I like Spirit of Radio, but even the opening guitar riff is annoying to me.

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 19:10
D:

-------------

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: February 20 2013 at 02:08
By-Tor and Lamneth are nearly tied for me, but Lamneth is what I'm voting for. It's not really an epic in my opinion, just several songs with a theme tying them together. By-Tor is saved by Neil's drumming and Alex's solo in that one live album.

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: February 20 2013 at 14:56

Actually, I quite like the four shorter songs on that album. And also, it's not that I dislike those two longer songs, it's that I just like them less than the rest of Rush's epics.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk