Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92079
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 12:00
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Focus 3 or Hamburger Concerto
Posted By: pfloyd
Subject: Focus 3 or Hamburger Concerto
Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 15:30
2 amazing Focus albums. HC has the higher ranking, but F3 is often consider Focus' magnum opus. Which do you prefer? 

I love both, but for me its easy. Focus 3

-------------
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

Replies:
Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 15:54
Hamburger Concerto all the way. Hamburger Concerto matched against Moving Waves would be a far more difficult choice for me.

-------------

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 15:56
Tough choice indeed! F3 is looser and more jam-oriented while HC is lush ( Birth still is the highest Focus point ever- Akkerman's solo is just plain ridiculous!) .

F3 today but hold the mustard!

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 15:58
Focus 3

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 15:58
Again, 2 albums I love a lot - but the jammy nature of Focus3 wins me over - especially the *beautiful* laid-back section of 'Answers?Questions!Questions?Answers!' Somehow the Live at The Rainbow album was a bit rough......

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 16:12
I'm surprised III is winning here. It's my pick too i just thought Hamburger Concerto was more popular.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 20:45
Hamburger Concerto is much more consistent than Focus 3.

Focus 3 is a little indulgent in places....Anonymous 2 is the best music I have heard from any band, that is up until Jan Akkerman comes in with his electric guitar segment, then it's just a "make it up as you go along" jam until the last classic outro of its too lengthy 26 minutes. (I used to remember it giving me the sh*ts having to change the record over when Anoymous 2 had almost finished but there was a few minutes to go on it but you had to listen to the whole track didn't you (?).......so you just had to grin and bear it....flip that bloody record over and finish listening to anonymous 2.......thank god for CDs!) There are other less memorable tracks on this double album but a few classics as well.

Hamburger Concerto on the other hand has 2 grand meister works: Birth and the title track. So it's Hamburger Concerto by a wide margin.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 23:16
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Hamburger Concerto is much more consistent than Focus 3.

Focus 3 is a little indulgent in places....Anonymous 2 is the best music I have heard from any band, that is up until Jan Akkerman comes in with his electric guitar segment, then it's just a "make it up as you go along" jam until the last classic outro of its too lengthy 26 minutes. (I used to remember it giving me the sh*ts having to change the record over when Anoymous 2 had almost finished but there was a few minutes to go on it but you had to listen to the whole track didn't you (?).......so you just had to grin and bear it....flip that bloody record over and finish listening to anonymous 2.......thank god for CDs!) There are other less memorable tracks on this double album but a few classics as well.

Hamburger Concerto on the other hand has 2 grand meister works: Birth and the title track. So it's Hamburger Concerto by a wide margin.

This. Love both but Hamburger title track is one of my 5 fav long pieces of prog---it's the Dutch guys at their best---and in the Melody Maker poll (a prestigious poll if there ever was one) Jan won best guitarist-- beating Howe, Hackett, Page and Clapton in 1974.Smile First and only time that happened.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 16 2013 at 23:17
1, 2, 3

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: February 17 2013 at 02:46
Focus 3 is a good album but a little tedious as a whole due to those long jams that frankly doesn't hold my interest so well. I'm going with Hamburger Concerto.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: February 17 2013 at 04:03
Hamburger Concerto is their second best album after Moving Waves.

Focus 3 is also very good, but not as good as those two.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: February 17 2013 at 04:41
Focus III. I like the long jams.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: February 17 2013 at 09:16
Very, very difficult. For me both albums are on the same level.
Okay, today I vote for Focus III, but next week it could be the Hamburger..

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: February 17 2013 at 10:08
3 has the edge but only just.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: February 17 2013 at 18:51
I love both, but Focus 3 (my favourite Focus album).  Hamburger Concerto, by the way, was one of my very first Prog loves.

Posted By: charles_ryder
Date Posted: September 23 2015 at 12:26
"Focus 3" is their best album as for me.

-------------
om mani padme hum

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: September 23 2015 at 12:30
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Focus III. I like the long jams.
This goes for me too.

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: September 23 2015 at 12:46
luv dat burger

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: September 23 2015 at 18:00
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Hamburger Concerto is their second best album after Moving Waves.

Focus 3 is also very good, but not as good as those two.
Exactly the same for me.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: September 23 2015 at 18:33
I should listen to more Focus, I really like Moving Waves (Always reminds me of Moving Pictures LOL).

Anybody know which one to listen to next? Tongue

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 23 2015 at 22:21
Hamburger Concerto of course (as my favourite, and as my recommendation to Pastmaster for next Focus listen). Wonderful album as a whole, and the title track is just awsome... as well as Birth... as said before, wonderful guitar solo... but the flute solos shouldn't be ignored, it's the interplay of both instruments that make that one so special to me.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: September 23 2015 at 23:29
I haven't listèned to either very recently, but I voted for Focus III. I always appreciated it's double album length; more to sink my teeth into. They're both great, though. The poll just requires us to be picky. What else can I say?

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: September 24 2015 at 00:57
The highs on Focus 3 are better than anything on Hamburger Concerto, but Hamburger Concerto is the more consistent album.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk