Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92117
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 09:09
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Members of Roxy Music
Posted By: Icarium
Subject: Members of Roxy Music
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 11:50
just curious as they or most of them are good musicians who have tallents inside and outside of music, spessialy the two Bry/ians,

i find that it is cool that Bryan and Brian is such counterparts in terms of persons, and sounds and interest, Eno is a very modernistic and futurisitc, while Ferry is romantic, victorian and conservative, but both seems to be very intellegent, Eno is known for a 160 IQ,, but both individuals seems to be very succesfull and smart, and knows how to propell music in a futuristic way or inventive, way, both knows how to create texturous atmosphere, on albums, and so is Jobson, they are all reknown for their mastery of synths and keybords, and landscapes to music, probably Eno and Jobson i bit ahead of Ferry who can also create wonderfull things on rhodes, mellotrons and pianos.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 11:54
Hi,

Bryan should be the vote leader as I think that the band was pretty much setup based on his ideas ... but I think he did not have a problem with the experimental nature and ideas of his friends, until they had to hit the road real hard ... and then you have a problem if the continuity and quality is not there ... and Roxy was excellent when I saw them! (Eddie Jobson days)

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 11:54
Never got past their first two albums, so I'm not gonna vote just yet (but so far it's Eno or Manzanera for me).

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 12:00
Eddie Jobson. If just for UK.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 12:18
Bryan Ferry.  That cat was smooth, a great example of suaveness to follow.  I like the vibrato in his voice too, and his songwriting.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 12:47
WELL my position as a devoted "since day one" Roxy Music fan cannot let me slice and dice here! 
Ferry , while certainly not everyone's cup of tea , is an original voice, a rare talent and an icon to hundreds of bands. He infused style and a certain rebel elegance to the rock/punk world , deeply influencing both! 
Manzanera is a sensational guitar maestro, again very original and creative. His discography speaks for itself.
Paul Thompson surely is the most underrated drummer ever, as solid as it gets. 
Eno needs no introduction or further praise, he is a rare genius. 
Andy Mackay put brass up front and center, sax and oboe playing was simply delightful .
Jobson remains an enigma, a massive talent that just never bloomed properly , at least in terms of popularity.  

Roxy Music is style, class and elegance with a distinct rebel nature, definitely progressive and most assuredly a musical panacea. 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 14:35
All are immense talents IMO, but Ferry wins it for me. A totally unique individual whose solo albums are always an adventure. You never know quite what you are going to get

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 15:10
Oh god, Eno by far. He's probably my favourite musician/composer of all time. His innovation was, and continues to be groundbreaking. The guy's a giant.

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 16:00
Eno is the most brilliant of the bunch. Honorable mentions for Jobson (UK) and Manzanera (as the right hand of David Gilmour).

-------------

Posted By: CryoftheCarrots
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 16:53
Phil Manzanera from the list just from Eno. But where are John Wetton & John Gustafsen both better bass players than Simpson.

-------------
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 17:47
It has to be Phil for me inside and out.  Eno was better out than in, Bryan was better in than out.  The rest also fall on one side or the other.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 18:30
Eno. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 18:31
Brian followed by Phil followed by Eddie followed by Bryan.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 18:44
I would also like to give a shout to John Gustafson, a great bass player and singer, who was also in many important bands, prog and otherwise

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 20:25
Wetton was only a live bass playerm and Gustavson was never a orignial memberm but they keybords are  a spessial treat to Roxy so i mentiond the key players,

as mysefl asa bass -player, early RM feals more important ot the style of the band and how the approach should  be, in real life

-------------

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: February 19 2013 at 20:32
Obviously Eno, but I love Andy as well.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: February 20 2013 at 02:05
Always loved Ferry's wobbly vocal so thats where my vote goes. Eno is obviously important in the same way that Banks was in Genesis.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk