Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92293
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 02:07
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cover Art Extravaganza
Posted By: Guldbamsen
Subject: Cover Art Extravaganza
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 14:18
Cover art is a huge part of an album in my opinion. I love holding onto it whilst listening, and preferably in vinyl sized format. So yeah easy, out of these which is your fave?

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Replies:
Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 14:25
I'll go with Amon Duul II

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 14:26
What's the bottom Roger Dean cover on the Vertigo label just above ??  I want it !!!!
I voted for Ash Ra Tempel - I just love the brown & black colours with the Egyptian themes, the way you open up the side flaps to reveal interesting pics inside and the tripped-out 'poem'.  And the music ??  Takes me right away........

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 14:29
Right on TomBig smile

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 14:29
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

I like your style.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 14:36
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

What's the bottom Roger Dean cover on the Vertigo label just above ??  I want it !!!!
I voted for Ash Ra Tempel - I just love the brown & black colours with the Egyptian themes, the way you open up the side flaps to reveal interesting pics inside and the tripped-out 'poem'.  And the music ??  Takes me right away........
Do you mean the one with "Gentle Giant - Octopus" written on it? That was the original UK cover, it was released in the US with a different cover:

The other Roger Dean cover is "One Fine Morning" by Canadian Jazz-Rock/Fusion band Lighthouse

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 14:37
^Exactly, thanks Dean.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 14:40
I gotta go with the boob.  I could look at that all day. Party

-------------

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 14:41
I have the exact same emotions concerning that boob.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 14:43
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Do you mean the one with "Gentle Giant - Octopus" written on it? That was the original UK cover, it was released in the US with a different cover:

The other Roger Dean cover is "One Fine Morning" by Canadian Jazz-Rock/Fusion band Lighthouse
Cheers for that - I did look at the band's names and thought that looks like RD's take on a lighthouse !!

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 14:43
I go with Cervello.

Dave, do you know this cahrming one ?

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 14:46
LOL
No, and I must say that's the very first time I've ever seen a woman being fecked by a swan.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 14:51
Me too, and I live in a lake.

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 14:53
I guess I never thought of Swans as sexual entities...

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 14:54
As much as I love Melos' cover (and music) I'll go with Anima Latina.  I love the vibe of childhood freedom and nature, and I love the golden glow the photographer achieved....it also perfectly encapsulates the music within. 

-------------

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 14:55
Oh there's a bit of a cheat in this poll. Kihnoua ain't listed on PA. I think it's far too strange of an album to be inducted anywhere. Mad unhinged jazz-like music. S'got Fred Frith on it.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 14:58
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

As much as I love Melos' cover (and music) I'll go with Anima Latina.  I love the vibe of childhood freedom and nature, and I love the golden glow the photographer achieved....it also perfectly encapsulates the music within. 

Couldn't have said it better myself Jim. Very eloquently put my friendClap

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 15:18
Ummagumma. I always had a specially liking for it from the day I got the album (my 15th birthday).

-------------

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 15:22
I really dig the whole kaleidoscopic effect it has. It draws you in.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 15:23
I like how nobody yet has voted the sameBig smile

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 15:26
I voted for Octopus, as my other choices already had a vote each.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: fusaka
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 15:30
Can't vote, but it would be Lighthouse... Never seen it before but I like the mood and colors.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/fusaka/" rel="nofollow - my last.fm

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 15:31
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Cover art is a huge part of an album in my opinion. I love holding onto it whilst listening, and preferably in vinyl sized format. So yeah easy, out of these which is your fave?

Just to make it a little easier on folks who don't want to flick flack back and forth between pages, here is the opSmile

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 15:32
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

I voted for Octopus, as my other choices already had a vote each.

I have always loved that one. The colour work alone is just stunning.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 15:34
Originally posted by fusaka fusaka wrote:

Can't vote, but it would be Lighthouse... Never seen it before but I like the mood and colors.

Roger Dean did a fantastic job on that. In many ways I prefer this over most of the work he did for Yes.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 15:36
It's hard to vote against the breast.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 15:37
Guapo I like the most. Titties are good, but I like my boobs and my music separated.

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 15:39
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I have an uncontrollable urge to lick it.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 15:40
Hey why no votes for Hinten?LOL

It's so bad that it's cool. I think it's pretty beat.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 15:46
The covers for Ummagumma, Tanz ... , and Bitches are filled with such imagination, but I'm gonna have to go with something that is simple and beautiful - the one for Timewind.
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I gotta go with the boob.  I could look at that all day. Party 
LOL ... Naughy-naughty.

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 15:51
Uhh nice pick AndreyCool In fact I love the whole "coffee trilogy" art work, Blackdance, Picture Music(It's not the "right" one we have on PA imo, there is another with a chessboard pattern in it) and Timewind.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 15:56
^ Albeit Irrlicht doesn't have that "coffee" in it, I'd still count it in in my head as it features one of those mysterious insect-like, almost-skull headed creatures, alone, under the blue, with a broken leg. Every one of those covers has some kind of feeling to offer. Seems like a colony of lonely creeps, angels or demons or whatever. Maybe some kind of a visual message on the state of a particular community or society.

Well, yeah, you got like 22 choices.

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 16:04
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ Albeit Irrlicht doesn't have that "coffee" in it, I'd still count it in in my head as it features one of those mysterious insect-like, almost-skull headed creatures, alone, under the blue, with a broken leg. Every one of those covers has some kind of feeling to offer. Seems like a colony of lonely creeps, angels or demons or whatever. Maybe some kind of a visual message on the state of a particular community or society.

Well, yeah, you got like 22 choices.

I think Irrlicht and Cyborg are connected in a similar manner as the coffee trilogy is. That's also evident from the art work methinksSmile

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 16:05
I'll go for Hinten Alpha Centauri , love it, could look atit forever and it is strangely modern looking.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 16:06
^ There's a nipple on Alpha Centauri?

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 16:07
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

I'll go for Hinten Alpha Centauri , love it, could look atit forever and it is strangely modern looking.

Can't count how many times I've dreamed myself away looking into that cover art with the mysterious and hypnotic music oozing in the back.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 17:33
Alpha Centauri. Couldn't care less about the music, but that is one amazing album cover.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 17:39
I can't believe nobody has voted for Beaubourg yet.... That turquoise metallic ear is to die forHeart 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 20:24
The Ash Ra Tempel artwork is one of my favorites.  Easy choice for me, though lots of goodies on here.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 21:11
There's not one album cover here I don't like, so it's a touch choice. I think I'll go with Sextant, as it hasn't got any votes yet.

-------------

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 21:11
Some nice choices David but i have to go with one of my all-time favourites in Pink Floyd. I've never seen that Lighthouse album cover before but that would be my second pick.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 21:15
Kihnoua seems nice. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 21:21
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

Ahh! I didn't see First Utterance, it's my all-time favorite cover art. I wish I could draw that well with a ball-point penLOL

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 21:50

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I have an uncontrollable urge to lick it.

take a deep breath......here ya go

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=8CPSmswu74AAFM&tbnid=VkAMF3olA2QiFM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bonappetit.com%2Frecipes%2F2008%2F08%2Fdark_chocolate_dipped_cherry_ice_cream_cone&ei=T8gyUf_NC9LOyAH-6YHAAQ&bvm=bv.43148975,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNFeGsoGXBexjWEeMtPJUDtqCFA8vA&ust=1362368882859281" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Posted By: mongofa
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 22:32
This is a really good cover(not prog, whatever!) unfortunately it is now a common sight on hipster's t-shirts Disapprove

-------------

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 22:33
^aawwww yeeeeeaaaa

-------------

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 23:17
So many beautiful choices... my favorite is Sextant :)

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 01:26
I went with Lucio Battisti just ahead of Ummagumma and Bitches Brew, so beautiful, Finnforest just described it perfectly.

Boobs are always good. I thought for their next album they would go for one cheek of that woman's ass. Big smile

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 03:47
The Lucio Battisti cover is just beautiful, and yes, very well described by Finnforest. It's like looking at a time gone by which one can reminisce about but never live through again, the best moments of childhood. I should try the album out! 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 03:59

I guess I never thought of Swans as sexual entities...
So you've never heard of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leda_and_the_Swan" rel="nofollow - Zeus and Leda from Greek mythology?

-------------
What?

Posted By: The Mystical
Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 04:24
Bitches brew.

-------------
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 04:36

^ There's a nipple on Alpha Centauri?

(t)It was my little joke as everyone was going on about the nipple cover!  Anyway there might be keep looking?

But you'll never see a nipple in the Daily Express.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 04:53
Ummagumma is a very clever sleeve design, though the album doesn't really live up to it.

But the best album art ever is Grave New World by Strawbs. The album is brilliant but it's worth buying for the cover and insert booklet alone.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 04:55

That?  With the dude exposing his manhood?

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 05:51

The 'Dude exposing his manhood' lol is a painting by William Blake.  If you ever go to an art gallery you will find quite a few of these 'dudes exposing their manhood'  sometimes in 3D !  Shocking but true!  I don't know how they get away with this filth!

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 05:58

LOL

-------------
What?

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 07:15
Was gonna vote Timewind and then I seen Ummagumma. So that.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 07:37

The "dude" is a representation of a God. The painting is "Glad Day" by William Blake. Seeing a set of men's bits almost every day (when my stomach allows) the sight of someone's manhood doesn't really bother me, frankly.

The inner artwork borrows heavily from Buddhist and mediaeval religious imagery and is magnificent.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 08:30

Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

I go with Cervello.
Dave, do you know this cahrming one ?

LOL
No, and I must say that's the very first time I've ever seen a woman being fecked by a swan.
hahahahahahahaha!!!! LOLClapLOLThumbs Upbrilliant!! hahaha Guldbamsen, funny!! haha!! My vote goes to Miles Davis - Bitches Brew but would vote for the above cover, because of the topic and comment Big smile

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 09:56
Miles

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 11:17
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

That? With the dude exposing his manhood?

The "dude" is a representation of a God. The painting is "Glad Day" by William Blake. Seeing a set of men's bits almost every day (when my stomach allows) the sight of someone's manhood doesn't really bother me, frankly.

The inner artwork borrows heavily from Buddhist and mediaeval religious imagery and is magnificent.
What I'm saying is that if I was in charge of album cover art for my own studio albums, I would never have something like that on the cover, even if a good number of artists of the past decided on having their works featuring the manhood. But that's just me. Guess, I am narrow-minded, but nevertheless ... .

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 11:29
No, i think it's an awful cover too. 

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 13:06
Wow this thread turned out pretty great after all. We've got everything right here: colours, penises(peni in plural perhaps?), William Blake, prog music, swan fetish, one breast and of course the other side of the lower male region in Hinten. What's not to like eh?

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 13:09

The options again. I just voted for Beaubourg. Such a gorgeous cover. I can watch that ear for eternity...

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 13:16

The options again. I just voted for Beaubourg. Such a gorgeous cover. I can watch that ear for eternity...

I hope you don't feel that licking urge again.

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 13:24
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

I hope you don't feel that licking urge again.

Just by looking at the turquoise metallic colour, something tells me you definitely don't wanna lick it, unless you are looking for a cheap acid trip

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 13:28
O-o-o-o-o-o-oh, naughty, naughty David.

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 19:26
There aren't many here that i particularly prefer, but I do admire the creativity very much. I liked Ummagumma and Sextant, though I picked Ummagumma in the end.

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 19:35
How is Ummagumma winning? It's by far the weakest here and is just a bad cover in general imo. 

But then again, it's made by that one band. 

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 20:06
^ How is it a weak cover? It's got a picture in a similar picture in a similar picture ... with each one of the band members imitating some physical aspects of the other guys. Fans of a certain 1958 American musical (if it has any fans), directed by Vincente Minelli, might even enjoy it more.

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 20:07
Cover art can certainly play a major role in an album release however the name of a band also can be beneficial, i.e. there's a rock band called Pussy (seriously) they do have an add advantage on the positive side for reviewers, afterall how could any male not like the band ahum....  name Big smile
http://www.myspace.com/pussybanduk" rel="nofollow - http://www.myspace.com/pussybanduk

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 20:20
Pussy in Denmark is a successful brand of cat food.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 20:25

Pussy in Denmark is a successful brand of cat food.

Yes and Jussipussi in Finland is a bun Smile lol you gotta love the Scandinavian people Big smileLOL

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 20:27

^ How is it a weak cover? It's got a picture in a similar picture in a similar picture ... with each one of the band members imitating some physical aspects of the other guys. Fans of a certain 1958 American musical (if it has any fans), directed by Vincente Minelli, might even enjoy it more.

I just never cared about, it doesn't captivate me in any way. Thought it looked like a beautiful day. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 20:31
^^We are slightly mad, I'll admit to that. Scandinavia is full of people who act like members of Monty Python, unintentionally that is. Maybe it's those who come up with the weird branding?
We genuinely have licorice here named Spunk. Comes in a little black box

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 20:37
In line with the poll at hand here, then I just gotta say that my current favourite is Guapo's Five Suns. Looks so unique. Something like a red flower explosion on top of a kaleidoscopic black n white background. Just stunning imo.
Anyway I change my mind every hour, so there you go.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 20:58

^^We are slightly mad, I'll admit to that. Scandinavia is full of people who act like members of Monty Python, unintentionally that is. Maybe it's those who come up with the weird branding?
We genuinely have licorice here named Spunk. Comes in a little black box

Ha! Thus, you are Scandinavian? Smile Yay!!! hahaaha No wonder you have no inhibitions ShockedThumbs UpLOL

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 21:03
Yup, Danish.
and that last part of your post, I consider as a compliment

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 03 2013 at 22:08

Yup, Danish.
and that last part of your post, I consider as a compliment

Having no inhibitions, that's prog hehehehe Big smileLOL

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: March 04 2013 at 18:08

LOL
It is actually from a classic Greek myth.  Zeus seduced Leda in the form of a swan by the river Eurotas.  From the union came Helen (of Troy fame), Castor & Polydeuces (the Gemini), and Clytaemnestra (who became the wife of Agamemnon).  Most images of the event are a little more, ahem, discreet.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: March 04 2013 at 19:12
A genius work of the sonically melded color brown that is all the colors mixed together. It brings a really eclectic feel to an otherwise drab golden crown. The music is good as well.

Primus Sucks!

-------------

Posted By: RedNightmareKing
Date Posted: March 04 2013 at 19:48
I really had to go with Bitches Brew on this one... It's one of those album covers you just kind of want to muralize on a wall, you know?

As for non-prog, I really dig Aphex Twin's "On EP" cover. Has the typical Aphex logo, with a few cool things here and there. It's awesome.

-------------
I consider drone metal to be progressive...

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 04 2013 at 20:35
The best prog cover ever was Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick, a fantastic concept newspaper, very funny and very clever. Of the ones on the list, GG's Octopus. All hail Roger Dean!

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk