Print Page | Close Window

Listening through Speakers or Headphones?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Tech Talk
Forum Description: Discuss musical instruments, equipment, hi-fi, speakers, vinyl, gadgets,etc.
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92430
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 16:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Listening through Speakers or Headphones?
Posted By: Gerinski
Subject: Listening through Speakers or Headphones?
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 07:10
For me each has its merits, when you do not have volume restrictions loudspeakers can provide a wonderful sense of complete sonic ambient, with a lot of depth and directionality, the sound is truly around you, and you enjoy the sense of freedom of not being hooked to a device.

Headphones on the other hand can reveal details and nuances that may go unnoticed through loudspeakers, and when you want to fully concentrate and get immersed in the music they may be the best choice.

What do you prefer and why?

Replies:
Posted By: wilmon91
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 16:00
I don't like headphones, I like to play music out in the open space instead of directed inwards to the brain, it's much more living that way, it's manifested for real, while headphones seems like listening in hiding as if it was forbidden to be played openly. Great music deserves to be played loud out in the open space.

But I agree that details may be experienced with headphones that wasn't as clear when listening with hifi system. I realized this when listening with headphones to a specific organ piece , where I heard rhythmic stuff in the bass register that came out more pronounced with the headphones:
http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xc7TnMlyaA&t=0m28s" rel="nofollow - http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xc7TnMlyaA&t=0m28s
Gunnar Idenstam / Cathedral Music / Toccata I

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 16:09

At home 99% thru my speakers. I do have a set of AKG cans that I will use when on the sofa and I want to be upstairs with the family, connected to my ZuneHD 32GB player.

For me HP do not give me the same sonic pleasure that my system speakers do

-------------

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 17:21
Depends on the speakers and headphones/earbuds. The weird cone-shaped JBL speakers I have deliver a relatively flat sound compared to the Gumy earbuds I have (the ones with the rubber tips that go deeper into your ears); those earbuds can really emphasize the bass aspect of the music, and it sounds as if there is a bit of acoustics to it. The earbuds I had previously used to provide better dynamics compared to the speakers. The new Gumy earbuds I have are even better than that. That works out especially when I use a special jack that feeds the sound from my amp to the audio unit when I'm about to play.

To sum up, earbuds are the way to go for me as of now (but it really depends on the unit). Can't remember the sound quality of the headphones I used to have, though.

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 18:10
I prefer speakers because you can hear more bass but it really depends on what kind of speakers or headphones you have.

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Astral Traveller
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 19:16

I have a 1983 Technics Stereo Cabinet with 2 tower speakers. It is my pride and joy when it comes to audio equipment, 5 Disc CD Changer, Phonograph, Live EQ With bass booster, A primative Digital LED Tuner, 4 Tape Deck (1 unit), and 2 extra channels, 1 going to my TV for video games and basic television, sometimes I will use my PS3 for music, the other is just a basic headphone connector for My mp3 player, phone, or other compliant device. When I can I use the stereo, otherwise, I use one of my other 3 stereos, If i need to listen in private I use my Senhiser 201s, not the best headphones, but not bad either.

-------------

A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable. -Robert Fripp

Posted By: brodieshenton
Date Posted: March 20 2013 at 02:29
I usually prefer to listen music on speakers as they don't heart the ears that much as headphones do but while traveling i am left with no other choice to use my headphones only.

-------------
http://www.spammer.html" rel="nofollow - spam

Posted By: bonestorm
Date Posted: April 09 2013 at 01:51
Sometimes headphones are a necessity, especially late at night with kids sleeping.  Speakers and headphones offer a different experience though, so I like to do both.

-------------
Hibernal http://hibernal.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - http://hibernal.bandcamp.com
"This is a stunning work of art" - Muzik Reviews
"A precious gem" - Dante's Prog

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: April 09 2013 at 13:35
I know that not everyone in my house likes the music I like, so I typically use headphones rather self-consciously.
My parents like a few of my Tull albums, some Tool, Animals as Leaders and Rush, so sometimes I'll play those on the stereo. 
If I'm home alone you can bet I'll be blasting pretty well all of my albums through the speakers.

Posted By: libertycaps
Date Posted: April 17 2013 at 12:53
Just like with headphones, quality materials and design matters with loudspeakers. In most cases, you get what you pay for. I own a lovely pair of 1986 Klipsch Cornwall 2's that have been upgraded with Bob Crites crossovers, new 15" woofers and Titanium tweeters. Midrange horns and drivers are stock. Also have a very musical Klipsch RSW15 subwoofer. There's alot of music down there that so often gets missed! I have a dedicated listening space with minimal volume restrictions, so i naturaly prefer taking an audio sauna with loudspeakers. Yeah, i'm a bass addict and love to feel the music head to toe. I find headphones a bit fatiguing after awhile. And yeah, i know i'm a bit spoiled too.

-------------
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites

Posted By: humor4u1959
Date Posted: April 24 2013 at 01:33
Headphones are the only way to go!

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 12:50
Hi,

I do both, but not lately I will admit.

Generally, you can not get the sonic punch on a lot of music on a headset ... and that is the reason why studio "monitors" are not always a headset AT ALL!

Nowadays, listening to things on a headset is cheap and poor, compared to a CD on a nice stereo set ... where the sonic vibes are always better defined than in a headset that has to simplify the incoming music ... but I think that too many people are listening to mp3's and iTunes stuff, and the quality of that is ridiculous when compared to the real thing out there ... there is just no comparison.

Honestly, my thinking likes to state that you are NOT a progressive person, if you are hearing all this stuff on earphones in your iPoorPod or MP3 player! The full effect in Pink Floyd, or King Crimson, is in the real thing, not in what I call an "assimilation" as to what it is supposed to be, or have been, which the majority of these "remaster" bs is all about, for the cheap generation with headsets on their little hand thing!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 13:21

Yep. It's lamentable that now the norm so often is low bitrate mp3s with earbuds.

Seems there's an entire generation that doesn't know the bliss of a good quality source, stereo and awesome speakers! Cry 

-------------
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 14:51
I do both, it all depends on the setting.   Earbuds are Satan's spawn.  I've got one really good set by Sony.  Every other set I've tried are too tinny.  In this day and age you want to have surround capability, too.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 17:18
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I do both, but not lately I will admit.

Generally, you can not get the sonic punch on a lot of music on a headset ... and that is the reason why studio "monitors" are not always a headset AT ALL!

Nowadays, listening to things on a headset is cheap and poor, compared to a CD on a nice stereo set ... where the sonic vibes are always better defined than in a headset that has to simplify the incoming music ... but I think that too many people are listening to mp3's and iTunes stuff, and the quality of that is ridiculous when compared to the real thing out there ... there is just no comparison.

Honestly, my thinking likes to state that you are NOT a progressive person, if you are hearing all this stuff on earphones in your iPoorPod or MP3 player! The full effect in Pink Floyd, or King Crimson, is in the real thing, not in what I call an "assimilation" as to what it is supposed to be, or have been, which the majority of these "remaster" bs is all about, for the cheap generation with headsets on their little hand thing!
In some ways this is the analog/digital discussion of other threads, about hearing the "real thing", or the vinyl discussions surrounding listening experiences and hearing the "full effect".
You could be viewed as slamming a lot of people on this site who listen to mp3's via laptops and portable music players or youtube.
To not be a part of this "cheap generation with headsets on their little hand thing!", how should one listen to music? On an expensive stereo system since that would be the opposite of cheap?
Interesting post..

-------------

Date Posted: May 27 2013 at 11:42
Just bought a pair of 1993 era Oiled Oak Klipsch Chorus II's! Givin' them the refinish treatment and i'll throw new Ti tweets and cross-overs in next week or two. More killer speakers. Been looking for a pair of these for awhile. Stoked!

-------------

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 00:34
Firstly, I love listening to music both ways by headphones and sound system.
Last couple years my quality ten speaker surround sound system has been in storage cause I had to move back home and I went traveling. Long story short, I went out and bought what I think are the best circumural cans on the planet, which are the SENNHEISER HD800's. I've got a quality stereo amp to compensate for the high impedenece level of the senns, which are a whopping 300ohms! Anyway. I quite enjoy music through headphones, especially with the 800's. It's a nice way to tie me over till I can find a decent full time job, get my own place again in order to once again be able to blast my Bose acoutimass 10.

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: Surrealist
Date Posted: June 02 2013 at 01:30
You can't know what you don't know.  Very few people these days understand how classic prog is supposed to be presented.  Modern prog has been created on digital formats and played back on ipods, smartphones and earbuds.  I agree, this is the cheap watered down version of a proper musical experience. 

Some of the older cats here know the lowdown.  Others have either forgot or simply too lazy to care.  I won't name names, but I could.

Most people have something they own that cost them $2000.  If music is really a priority, you'll find a way to get into a proper system.  Vinyl, tube amp, quality cartridge on a deck with good tonearm... high efficiency horn driven speakers. 
If you do that.. then you'll understand why some of the folks around here keep talking about this.

The other issue that one has to discover and realize, is that in the classic prog era... the great bands actually played this stuff.. where as now.. most is simply manipulated after the fact on these silly digital computer programs like pro tools etc. 

Date Posted: June 02 2013 at 02:48
My personal investment on my music over the past 10yrs (let alone the past 30yrs)...has far exceeded the value of my current audio system by double. That's a pretty good ratio in my book, and I bet a large % on this site could also be in this same ratio.....Members of this site buy A LOT of music.

I enjoy my music very much and I am glad I have invested, and continue to invest, in quality audio gear.

-------------

Date Posted: June 02 2013 at 15:26
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

In some ways this is the analog/digital discussion of other threads, about hearing the "real thing", or the vinyl discussions surrounding listening experiences and hearing the "full effect".
You could be viewed as slamming a lot of people on this site who listen to mp3's via laptops and portable music players or youtube.
To not be a part of this "cheap generation with headsets on their little hand thing!", how should one listen to music? On an expensive stereo system since that would be the opposite of cheap?
Interesting post..

Incorrect!

The "full effect" of the "progressive music" is EXACTLY what made it famous and is still remembered and loved today!

I figured that out 42 years ago, when I realized the difference, when I heard FM radio ... and compared it to the AM radio ... and I knew that the way to go was a nice stereo ... that sounded ALMOST as good as FM radio, or BETTER!

What folks are listening to in the iPod's is nowhere near the quality of FM radio ... and is like the old AM radio days on my iPod with earbuds that cost $75 dollars, and have some bass to them. The iPod or any mp3 player simply does not have the FIDELITY to make the music sound better ... has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DIGITAL OR ANALOG discussion!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 02 2013 at 17:33
^ Your analogy of ..."What folks are listening to in the iPod's is nowhere near the quality of FM radio". Can be the same as saying....What folks are listening to in the digital is nowhere near the quality of analog.....iPods play digital files, FM radio plays analog and digital files....How to measure what is better over the airwaves seems pointless, way too much interference....maybe Dean would have better info here.

Fidelity refers to how accurate a copy is to its source, so I agree that a digital file (mp3, wma....) can be an inaccurate copy of an analog source, there are pcs of music missing, and the iPod or mp3 player cannot make the files sound better.
But I am not sure about FM radio being better, better at what? And a nice stereo that sounded almost as good as FM radio, or better....hmm, interesting but I don't think I could ever agree with that.

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2013 at 18:32

I play 99.98% official CDs and LPs exclusively on my Man Cave set-ups.

I'm alot less strict in the livingroom & bedroom. As your gear improves, your source should also in order to get the most out of both.

In related news: I'm now in line to get a new Line Magnetic LM 215 CDP with a tubed stage later this month. WOOT! 

-------------

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: June 03 2013 at 19:10
Usually speakers, whether at home or in the car. Only at times when I can't listen on speakers do I use headphones, but I don't prefer them as they cause pressure on my ears after a while.

And no ear-buds for me, I'd like to retain my hearing into old age.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Date Posted: June 04 2013 at 02:51
Come to think of it my headphones are the most expensive piece of audio equipment.
My Bose acoustimass 10 speaker surround sound system is 200$ bones less then the Magical HD 800's I own from sennheiser. Wow. I just blew my own mind. The HD 800's really are the most dynamic headphones on the planet.
Best cans For my tastes.

-------------

Date Posted: June 04 2013 at 09:33
Originally posted by libertycaps libertycaps wrote:

I play 99.98% official CDs and LPs exclusively on my Man Cave set-ups.

I'm alot less strict in the livingroom & bedroom. As your gear improves, your source should also in order to get the most out of both.

In related news: I'm now in line to get a new Line Magnetic LM 215 CDP with a tubed stage later this month. WOOT! 

Nice! (saw that elsewhere)........I think this player will be head and shoulders above the Rega.

-------------

Date Posted: June 04 2013 at 15:43
The Rega was a pain in the arse. There. I said it.
It won't be a problem for me or anyone else now. I made sure of that.

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 20:48
Originally posted by libertycaps libertycaps wrote:

The Rega was a pain in the arse. There. I said it.
It won't be a problem for me or anyone else now. I made sure of that.

Ha! It is for many people....but they have a hard following and some of those accept the "designed in" fault of the Rega hum, at least on the Brio-R. I could never accept any hum from my amp.
Now the Apollo-R seemed to have other issues...one to me was it was wayyyyy too expensive for its performance. Rega is too proud of their stuff.....I love their DAC, but will never shell out $1K for it...maybe $500 tops.

Look forward to your opinions of the LM CDP.

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 00:08

Just got word that the LM is shipping to NYC from China in 1-2 weeks. I should have mine by late June/early July. Not too many of these CDPs in the States yet, but nothing but glowing reviews from loads of very jaded audiophiles. I should be pleased. I've only really been into audio now for 5-6 years. Still getting my feet. Still learning. Still looking forward to my dedicated listening sessions on weekends. God bless an empty house!

I loved my Rega Apollo, but i had to file for divorce due to constant frustration with tracking issues. That said, i'd like to at least demo the Apollo-R some day.

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2013 at 15:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Interesting post..

This is  not about analog/digital at all!

It's the equivalent of headphones/speakers ... and the differences. But I don't do "earbuds"! I live with a set of headphones that cost $300 dollars ... why? ... because it's good! and the music is better! AND, above all ... on par with my speakers!

Here goes, again:

Ex: The remastered DSOTM -- was exactly the same as the English LP pressing. The American pressing was a copy of some sort that had cleaned out a lot of the background stuff, voices and words! Same thing for Sgt Peppers, Their Satanic Majesty's, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album, Abbey Road and many others!

Ex: The KC remasters, did what KC could not do on a studio at that time because they did not know better. However, the clinical sounding remaster by SWilson, takes away a lot of the honesty and beauty that was there at the time and place ... which the slick studio version by SWilson, kinda lost ... it became like the effect was more important than the words or the music itself! I have a serious issue with that ... NONE OF THE Progressive pieces that we love from the era would have survived, if all they were doing was showing off a studio effect! NONE! Because most of them were not doing that, and it was not as important as the music itself!

Ex: FM radio in the early 70's in LA, at least where we were in Santa Barbara, was better than the LP's ... and I'm not sure why, but I can tell you that many bands sounded heavier and better than they really were as many turntables were slowed down a small percentage ... so Black Sabbath sounds lower and harder, for example! This is a massive thing for Chris Squire in YES, as it makes his bass comes out more. The "wave" effect on the music also added something that both the LP's and CD's do not have ... and I have many examples of it, if you would like to check!  I am almost convinced that FM, or "stereo", was the reason why so much of this music is remembered ... because it was indeed awesome to hear Eric and Duane having a duet! You would not even want to hear that on earphones! The FM dial is how you wanna hear it! You can't duplicate it in any studio, digital or analog! ... and this is the part that Neil Young does not know yet!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 10 2013 at 11:01
^ Well about all I can agree on is that FM radio in LA was the best......I grew up there early 70's and listened to KMET 94.7 and the original KLOS 95.5.....some of the only stations I know of that played progressive rock back then.

My father had a 7" Akai reel to reel deck and I used to record the night sessions as that is when the good stuff used to get spun......and yes that sounded pretty darn nice only due to my fathers nice setup.

But today.....nahhh. FM sounds bad compared to modern hi-fi equipment........Any remaster will sound different than the original, but the cleaning and in some cases the added musicality is worth it. My original Genesis SEBtP analog is bad, sounds like a blanket covers all the sound. The recent remasters are mixed much better and you just hear more music that digs deeper......As well as the SW remixes of KC. I enjoy my original US Atlantic copy of ItCOtCK, but much prefer the new version.

I don't listen to Neil Young so I do not know what he is doing.

Cheers

-------------

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: June 10 2013 at 14:41
i do both, loudspeakers at home and headphones at school (and home sometimes), but despite my parents disapproval of my opinion, i recommend the loudspeakers because of the "freedom" it has lol

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: June 10 2013 at 14:49
I love loudspeakers but I still have to say that listening on headphones I have found details which I had never noticed before on loudspeakers.

Posted By: Tess Herect
Date Posted: June 24 2013 at 05:51
I would only ever listen to headphones if it was at night and someone would call the police otherwise.  Besides being more comfortable and less head-crushing, my speakers were pretty expensive (at least in the early '80s) whereas I have relatively cheapy headphones.  The cans aren't bad per se, but after hearing an album on the full stereo system it's quite underwhelming to move down to little compressed ovals.

Date Posted: August 11 2013 at 22:12

My Man Cave right channel speakers: Klipsch Chorus II/Klipsch Cornwall II
Both modified (hot rodded) with more modern Bob Crites XO'ers and Ti tweeters. 15" woofers.
Approve

-------------

Posted By: Livespecie
Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 01:08
At home I listen through speakers and I listen by earphones in my office so that no one gets disturbed.

-------------
http://www.spam.co.uk" rel="nofollow - Spameo Spampany

Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 13:30
Still rockin the HD 800's by Sennheiser. This October will mark 2 years since I've had those puppies.
Changed my life. ;)

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 14:06
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Usually speakers, whether at home or in the car. Only at times when I can't listen on speakers do I use headphones, but I don't prefer them as they cause pressure on my ears after a while.

Same for me, though I already lost a bit of my hearing spectrum, it seems.

Posted By: CKnoxW
Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 19:04
For me, speakers are king. Especially if we're talking about old Pioneer receivers and some excellent speakers to match. I tend to do whatever I can to avoid wearing headphones because I don't like the confining nature of them and I like to feel the vibrations from music pumped to rattling volumes. That being said, there are still situations when headphones are more appropriate, like when no one else wants to hear what you're listening to!
No matter what though, whatever you use to listen to music with, its quality should match how much you enjoy music. My Bose QC15's are a nice balance between sonic quality and usability. They might not sound as fantastic as a good pair of AKG's or Senheissers, but on the same token I wouldn't be able to "noise-cancel" out the sound of the lawn mower when I'm doing yard work. And they sound pretty good!

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 20:40
Headphones all the way. The sound from speakers tends to get lost and I lose my concentration very quickly. The thing is, I can already feel my hearing getting a little bit worse. But only a bit.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bequeathed" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: CouldntThinkOfAUsern
Date Posted: March 03 2014 at 13:56
My earbuds are far superior to the stereo in my house. They're just so much less muddy. They have the add benefit of drowning out the outside world. 

Date Posted: March 04 2014 at 06:13
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Same for me, though I already lost a bit of my hearing spectrum, it seems.

There isn't a single ear buds that I've tried that don't sound tinny except for this set of Sony one's I have that were recommended by Consumer Reports, which I have had for years.  They actually have decent bass but not as good as regular headphones.  I think people tend to turn it up too loud to compensate for the tinny and that will certainly lead to hearing loss.  Of course speakers or headphones really isn't an either or proposition for me.  I listen to music anywhere and everywhere so it depends. 

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 04 2014 at 11:40
I prefer loudpseakers...I still have the same ones going on 40 years now (Embarrassed) ... which I listen to in my dedicated music room......prolly need to get an updated pair though they still sound ok;...on the laptop I use a pair of mid-priced Shure headphones that sound very good and you do pick up things missed by speakers in a room but it's just not the same experience as someone mentioned above.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: March 04 2014 at 23:53
I'm back in audio heaven!! Moved into a new home and just set up the 'man cave.' I'm in 5.1 paradise. Couldn't be happier, and if I had to choose what comes first for a listening preference it's definitely through a ten speaker surround/home Theater system. I have very good headphones, but listening to music outwardly either through Dolby pro logic 7 or DTS 5.1 surround is the tops. Nothing beats it for me. New Dream Theater album sounds absolutely incredible in 5.1 surround. It's not just a listening experience, it's an event. :)

-------------

Posted By: StaaViinsZ
Date Posted: March 06 2014 at 03:33
ILuv Earbuds are the only way to go!
Check out this listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/iLuv-iEP322RED-City-Lights-Explosive-Bass-In-Ear-Headphones-Red-Earbuds-NEW-/400476706945?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item5d3e459881" rel="nofollow - On EBay
Only 6.88 & FREE SHIPPING!
I own a pair of these, actually 2, and have owned another one, and believe me when I say, I have NEVER found ANY earbuds that are better!!!
Near as good, perhaps, but better? N-O!

Even if some from BOSE are better or just as good-- you can't beat 7 bucks!

You won't be disappointed if you get these and don't already own BOSE earbuds of some sort.

On that note, I like hearing stuff on speakers, but typically, things sound better on my earbuds than they do on my speakers.
Plus, I like to listen to stuff loud, but it's kind of awkward with the rest of your family standing there or trying to sleep in the rest of the house etc.

With earbuds, it sounds great, I can turn it up as loud as I want it, when I want it, and don't have to worry about bothering anybody else, or feeling awkward.

Plus, unless you're a weird dude from the 80s, it just isn't that convenient to bring a giant boombox with you on jogging trips for music-- Plus, I doubt my whole neighborhood wants to hear my vastly outdated selection of 80s Metal, which sometimes may stretch into 2010s Pop.

However, if anyone does want to hear it, give me your home address, and, as long as it's within the continental United States, I will personally bring my Mom's Hello Kitty Boombox and play it as loud as it goes- which isn't that loud, really, which isn't that surprising, considering...

But anyway,  I listen to music both ways frequently, but Earbuds are way more practical for an "Immersive Experience", not to mention just way more versatile in general.
I don't recommend bringing Mom's Hello Kitty on that bus, even if the maximum volume sounds like a built-in safety!

Be funny if you did and you were playing Frank Sinatra at maximum volume, and no one complained except the bus driver, who was a Metal-Head, and then he suddenly reveals the Crazed stereo system he had put in by blasting Symphony X's Serpent's Kiss at 10.

Lol where do I come up with these things, eh?

-------------
"Let us scream like Tom Mallicoat, and whisper like Geoff Tate, for the difference between the two is nigh."

Date Posted: March 06 2014 at 06:16
^ hey for that price I am going to try them and see how they stack up to my Sonys. Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: March 06 2014 at 14:20
Quote ^ hey for that price I am going to try them and see how they stack up to my Sonys.

Cool. Tell me when you get them. They are awesome :D

-------------
"Let us scream like Tom Mallicoat, and whisper like Geoff Tate, for the difference between the two is nigh."

Posted By: Argor
Date Posted: March 06 2014 at 15:00
The battle between headphones and speakers fans is ancient and probably there is no right answer, You must check Yourself which do You like more... Headphones for sure :D

Date Posted: March 06 2014 at 15:20
Quote Headphones for sure :D

Occasionally, I used to use some cheap good sounding headphones for when I wanted to hang them around my neck and listen to stuff while walking around, but still be able to hear other people.

Earbuds sound better and are cheaper, if you get the right pair, and, they are a lot more private.

Like the time I had headphones around my neck and was in an elevator, and "Call Me Maybe" came on.
Awkward...

Most of the music I listen to I don't mind other people hearing, though.

But for those situations that you might wonder about what other people are thinking when they are hearing it-- earbuds are nice to have the freedom to turn it up as loud as you want.

-------------

Date Posted: March 06 2014 at 15:23
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I think people tend to turn it up too loud to compensate for the tinny and that will certainly lead to hearing loss.

No, I turn it up loud cause I'm a crazed METAL MANIAC who thinks my phone DOESN'T GO LOUD ENOUGH AS IT IS!
Oh, plus I use 'buds which aren't "tinny" sounding at all!

-------------

Posted By: Argor
Date Posted: March 06 2014 at 15:53
Originally posted by StaaViinsZ StaaViinsZ wrote:

Quote Headphones for sure :D

Occasionally, I used to use some cheap good sounding headphones for when I wanted to hang them around my neck and listen to stuff while walking around, but still be able to hear other people.

Earbuds sound better and are cheaper, if you get the right pair, and, they are a lot more private.

Well, i guess You didn't realy tried right headphones. Because i use my headphones when i want to completely isolate from reality and get some musical LSD ;) There is great diference between cheap headphones and Sennheiser hd 800.

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: March 06 2014 at 16:06
Beyerdynamic T5P, amazing closed headphones. And for outside uses, PSB M4U2. 

-------------

Date Posted: March 06 2014 at 16:46
Originally posted by Argor Argor wrote:

Well, i guess You didn't realy tried right headphones. Because i use my headphones when i want to completely isolate from reality and get some musical LSD ;) There is great diference between cheap headphones and Sennheiser hd 800.

Well yeah, Headphones can isolate you from the world, just like good noise reduction in-ear earbuds, but lets face it, with good earbuds, they isolate you from the world, and don't bring in any unwanted visitors to your world, no matter how loud you play it.
With headphones? Unless there are some really good headphones that I don't know about, just about any time you have headphones, the rest of the world can TOTALLY tell what you're listening to.
Sure, you may be in your own musical territory, but other people are like "Pfpht... Weirdo".
Plus, Headphones have a tendency to look weird on anybody with hair.
Can you really argue with any of these 2 points?

1. Headphones are more Public than Earbuds
2. Headphones sometimes look weird on people with hair

However, I will admit, even though there are some GREAT earbuds out there-- GREAT headphones provide a lot of depth and clarity that earbuds may not provide. Just remember though-- that Ke$ha track you're listening to in Starbucks -- the 20 year old girl behind you can TOTALLY hear it. Not to mention the weird 65 year old guy that's reading a NEWSPAPER.

So:

Advantages to Good Earbuds:

1. Typically Can Be Played Loud Without Compromising Privacy
2. Don't Look Weird On (most) People With Hair
3. Are Definitely Easier To Carry Around-- Fits Easily Into your Pocket

Advantages to Good Headphones:

1. Perfect Clarity and Total Relative Isolation
2. Can Look Cool In The Right Situation
3. Fits Easily Around Your Neck For A Cool DJ Look While Being Able To Talk To Other People

WHAM!
You just got slammed.
StaaVi

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 08:39
Originally posted by StaaViinsZ StaaViinsZ wrote:

Quote ^ hey for that price I am going to try them and see how they stack up to my Sonys.

Cool. Tell me when you get them. They are awesome :D

I got them and yeah they are pretty good.  But the Sony ones I have are slightly better. Big smile   I wish I remembered the model number, it doesn't say it on the phones.  I posted it another one of these threads a few years ago. 

-------------

Posted By: weetabix
Date Posted: March 25 2014 at 08:34
I got speakers in jar.And headphones for live music recordings. It's like being in the audience if it's good enough.

Date Posted: March 28 2014 at 22:46
If you have multiple speaker channels set up around you it can be just as immersive (sound wise) as headphones.
Just sit comfortably and enjoy. I recommend even closing your eyes while sitting upward. It works. :)

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2014 at 13:29
Hi,

My stereo:

ESS Heil AMT's - a pair I bought in 1978 and have had re-coned twice since. Still fantabulous!

Pioneer TT with A Stanton Cartridge that in 1978 cost $275 mullas! That turntable went through 4 belts before it died in 2008. The TT has been replaced by a similar quality Stanton TT that also has the USB connection on it, so now I can connect it to the computer network as well. Normally it is connected to the stereo system.

All in all, I have never met a pair of earphones that came close to this quality and the air motion transformers are magnificent for the trippy stuff that goes around your head in Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze. I couldn't careless to waste those speakers on The Rolling Stones, but I can tell you that Porcupine Tree sounds tremendous on it, and much better than we think.

There was a VAST difference in the quality all around, specially in those days. I do think that today, it is harder to tell, but I have never met any earbuds that can kiss the ass of my speakers, even after them being re-coned twice in their life, and I can still blow out the neighbor next door -- did it with Hawkwind the other day at 3 AM. Their rap noise stopped 10 minutes later! Next morning the guy asked what I was playing!

It's not the Marshall Stack for progressive music or anything, but you could almost say it's the Ampeg Stack for great music. Tangerine Dream has maybe 1/10th its "trippy" quality in ANY earphone that you can find these days, except (MAYBE) the high end premium ones. Remember that many headphones these days, favor the bass, not the wider spectrum, and this is a major issue for a headset ... it's too small to handle all the frequencies properly. I imagine that as time goes by this will be better, but there was an article that Dean wrote hear about speakers and cones, and the like, that COULD also suggest that the likelihood of the earbuds having the technology to show the sound as well, is not likely to happen when the technology that created it all was based on a cone and other physical designs that are now simply a chip changing the sound.

I might be partically incorrect here, but not meaning to. But I have heard Dream Theater in my speakers and they are way better than the earphones or my cheap computer speakers in my office (stereo is in the music room!).

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 08:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

My stereo:

ESS Heil AMT's - a pair I bought in 1978 and have had re-coned twice since. Still fantabulous!

Pioneer TT with A Stanton Cartridge that in 1978 cost $275 mullas! That turntable went through 4 belts before it died in 2008. The TT has been replaced by a similar quality Stanton TT that also has the USB connection on it, so now I can connect it to the computer network as well. Normally it is connected to the stereo system.

All in all, I have never met a pair of earphones that came close to this quality and the air motion transformers are magnificent for the trippy stuff that goes around your head in Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze. I couldn't careless to waste those speakers on The Rolling Stones, but I can tell you that Porcupine Tree sounds tremendous on it, and much better than we think.

There was a VAST difference in the quality all around, specially in those days. I do think that today, it is harder to tell, but I have never met any earbuds that can kiss the ass of my speakers, even after them being re-coned twice in their life, and I can still blow out the neighbor next door -- did it with Hawkwind the other day at 3 AM. Their rap noise stopped 10 minutes later! Next morning the guy asked what I was playing!

It's not the Marshall Stack for progressive music or anything, but you could almost say it's the Ampeg Stack for great music. Tangerine Dream has maybe 1/10th its "trippy" quality in ANY earphone that you can find these days, except (MAYBE) the high end premium ones. Remember that many headphones these days, favor the bass, not the wider spectrum, and this is a major issue for a headset ... it's too small to handle all the frequencies properly. I imagine that as time goes by this will be better, but there was an article that Dean wrote hear about speakers and cones, and the like, that COULD also suggest that the likelihood of the earbuds having the technology to show the sound as well, is not likely to happen when the technology that created it all was based on a cone and other physical designs that are now simply a chip changing the sound.

I might be partically incorrect here, but not meaning to. But I have heard Dream Theater in my speakers and they are way better than the earphones or my cheap computer speakers in my office (stereo is in the music room!).

Some ear buds are quite sophisticated. The tech is there. For instance on Headroom.com Shure have released an ear bud that has 6 drivers in it!! That's huge and would be an extremely immersive, high quality sound experience.
It'll cost ya 1200$ though.      

Also. Way to blow out the neighbors!!! I know no one could mess with me either. Well done.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk