Greatest record store of your youth?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Topics not related to music
Forum Name: General discussions
Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92432
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 01:13
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Greatest record store of your youth?
Posted By: Finnforest
Subject: Greatest record store of your youth?
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:16
Larree's post about Aron's in his newbie thread made me wonder, what is the greatest record store of your youth?  The long-gone, long defunct hole in the wall that had the best ambiance and coolest people, not mention great music.

My pick would go to Northern Lights in Saint Paul....where Husker Du hung out and where i frittered away many a day....bought my first CD here too in the 80s....they had so much great vinyl, with a heavy indie and punk focus.   Now it's a salon and rap store.  Cry
http://www.thirdav.com/hd_images/msp_sites/ex-northern_lights.html" rel="nofollow -
Here's the story about Husker with photos....

What was your "greatest" record store of your youth?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:17
Circuit City.

Embarrassed

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:22
There was a used record store in Cincinnati called Ozarka Records.  Loved that place and got many a prog album there.  There was also a new record/CD store right down the block from Ozarka, whose name I can't remember any longer that was also really cool and also had a fairly decent prog selection.  And to top it all off, sandwiched in between the two was the Fantasy Emporium (a comic book shop).  All my shopping needs in one city block.  Headbanger

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:38
I'm pleased to see mine still exists:  Yesterday and Today Records, in Miami FL.

http://www.vintagerecords.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.vintagerecords.com/

I was on a first name basis with the owner for many years, even though I was at first mostly known as "Dan's son" (I took after my dad).   I discovered so much great stuff there, and have fond memories of specific purchases.   I was just thinking about them this weekend when I was organizing my records and happened upon my old SST 45s of Black Flag and Minutemen that I bought there.  Ahhh memories.Approve

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:38
Wow Jim, great story and man that place had atmosphere! Love looking at old beat up American stores. Pure soul right there.

I remember growing up, me and a couple of friends in the know all went into the big city(Copenhagen) looking for one particular yellow sign that said GUF. This place was nirvana for folks who dig everything under the sun, even if they specialized in obscure rock from the 70s. This was of course down to the two guys running things, who had seen just about any interesting act you could ever think of. Man some of the stories they've told me.... I don't think I've ever been as jealous as one time where they told me about an open air Floyd gig they saw at the start of the 70s. Or maybe the TD gig in Hamburg trumps that, I don't know. Man those guys had stories, and a huge part of buying music back then was also about that. Talking music, spending 3 to 4 hours in there. Plus these guys smoked inside, drank beer and encouraged others (who could behave themselves of course), to do so as well. Far away from being a bar though, but the feeling of enjoying a couple of beers flipping around this labyrinth like store, with music stacked to the ceiling, that felt like freedom to me.
It's closed down now sadly, but I will never forget the good times I had inside GUF.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:42
David, I can't recall the name of the store, but I did go to a cool record store during the summer my family stayed in Copenhagen.  I remember buying the Police's "Outlandos d'Amour" there. I also remember the LP jackets on the racks were all empty, and that they kept the actual LPs behind the counter.

-------------

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:46
Let me say too, that this thread has really lifted my spirits today, if not made me a little nostalgic.  thanks Jimbo.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:50
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

David, I can't recall the name of the store, but I did go to a cool record store during the summer my family stayed in Copenhagen.  I remember buying the Police's "Outlandos d'Amour" there. I also remember the LP jackets on the racks were all empty, and that they kept the actual LPs behind the counter.

I keep forgetting that!
Love that you bought a Police album here, especially in a store that seems to have had it's fair share of Police dates. It must've had, seeing as it felt the need to hide away the records like some music store version of Gollum. My Precious!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:59
There's a shop called Vintage Vinyl that's pretty cool. Real nice and big selection.

I also used to go to Half Priced Books, which had used vinyl and books and other stuff for cheep. Usually had a limited selection, but cheep. Haven't gone sense I moved from Texas to St.Louis, as they don't have them here.

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 12:44
Northern_Lights_Ron_Clark.jpg
Photo courtesy of Ron Clark
That Northern Lights is still the bar by which I measure all record stores. It was a cramped, crowded box with racks and racks of vinyl, no endcaps, or point of purchase displays, and a staff that couldn't care less if you were there or not. It had a smell that can best be described as '80s record store smell: incense over clove cigarettes, too much Aqua Net, a twist of wet wood with just a hint of Mennen Speed Stick. It wasn't a great smell, but still I'd love to encounter it again.
-Chris Strouth

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 12:50
The best record shop of my youth was called 'Davids Records' in Bracknell, England. This was just pre CD. It was very small, but I probably bought most of metal in there, and a fair amount of prog. It also sold tee-shirts and posters. It was totally independent and tucked away in the arse end of town. It stunk of old vinyl sleeves and dope, and there was usually a small gaggle of punks sat around drinking cider and Special Brew.

The owner was a rockerbilly with a huge quiff who had a very broad knowledge of music. It was the only shop in town that had 'The Lamb lies down on Broadway' at the time. My mum ventured in there to buy it for me for Christmas. 1984 I think. It later became Cave Records, and the window display was a huge ghoul dressed in monks robes. It was a big hang out for local goths at that point.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 12:58
Rob's Records, in Nottingham - so crammed with vinyl that there's a one-way system.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: manofmystery
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 13:03
Pittsburgh still has http://www.jerrysrecords.com/" rel="nofollow - Jerry's

-------------

Time always wins.

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 14:26
Ahh record shops of my youth!  I lived near Cambridge when I was young.  When I was a teenager I used to go into Cambridge to meet friends and hang around at record shops (or if my parents went shopping I would spend the whole time leafing through vinyl or at least the beautiful covers big and bold colourful covers aaah ! ) .  Probably not as cool as other record shops above, I used to hang around Andy's Records (AKA THe Beat Goes On) which was tiny (originally) and the basement was just sooo coooool (At least to a spotty teenager it was cool) and cramped, no room to get passed anyone.  Andy's also had a store on Cambridge Market which was also brilliant, always busy, I remember buying GonG live Etc from there.  The guy behind the counter was suitably sniffy about my purchase but I think he was a fan too.

There was also another record shop with individual listening booths  which was rare (old fashioned) then.  I can remember listening to Bill Nelson's Red Noise in one of them.  Listening posts came back again later on in the CD era. 

Anyway, Record shops eh?  Aaah!  Record shops .........

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: horza
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 14:45
I used to visit a record store called 'Lost in Music'. It was close to Glasgow University in Ashton Lane near Byres Road. I spent many hours in it and discovered only fairly recently that the guy who owned it had sold up and moved to live in France.

I was introduced to Porcupine Tree in there - I bought 'Coma Divine' which was a signed copy (apparently) - I sold it on ebay later. Of course now I regret doing that

The bloke who worked in it knew me a little and would let me hear stuff he thought I might like e.g. Ozric Tentacles etc.

I miss that place and it held many memories for me over the years.

-------------
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.

Posted By: Larree
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 14:55
Cool thread, Finnforest!  Glad my post was inspiring.

Here is the link about the closing of Aron's for people to read on this thread.  Aron's was the greatest!

http://allaccessmagazine.com/vol4/issue01/arons_records.html" rel="nofollow - http://allaccessmagazine.com/vol4/issue01/arons_records.html

Posted By: ClemofNazareth
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 15:08
Anyone remember Musicland?  They used to be in strip malls all over the Midwest U.S.  I guess they also owned Sam Goody although I think those stores were more in the Northeast.  Musicland went bankrupt and FYE owns Sam Goody now.

As far as used records I built most of my collection (and spent most of my discretionary income) at Second Time Around Records on East Harry Street in Wichita, Kansas back in the early 80s.  Not sure when they closed but there were three guys who owned it, all musicians.  One of them was a jazz freak, one was into blues and one was kind of a psych & folk fan.  They turned me on to so much good music I had never heard of including Czesław Niemen, Plastic People of the Universe, Grateful Dead, Sweet Smoke, Atomic Rooster, and on and on.  Great place, now that you brought the subject up I miss them Unhappy

-------------
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 15:32
Rainbow Records in Oswestry, now sadly defunct for many years. Most of my vinyl was purchased there.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 15:35
Yep, Musicland, Record Shop, and Great American Music were typical "mall" shops in the suburbs.

To get to the gritty, cooler stores you had to venture into the city.  At least around here.  Saint Paul and Mpls had some decent ones.  A few were open late night so you could go out, party, and then hit the record store late before heading home..

-------------

Posted By: seventhsojourn
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 15:59
Originally posted by horza horza wrote:

I used to visit a record store called 'Lost in Music'. It was close to Glasgow University in Ashton Lane near Byres Road. I spent many hours in it and discovered only fairly recently that the guy who owned it had sold up and moved to live in France.

I was introduced to Porcupine Tree in there - I bought 'Coma Divine' which was a signed copy (apparently) - I sold it on ebay later. Of course now I regret doing that

The bloke who worked in it knew me a little and would let me hear stuff he thought I might like e.g. Ozric Tentacles etc.

I miss that place and it held many memories for me over the years.
Yep, same here. Knew it well but my youth was long gone at the time... Upstairs in De Courcy's, there used to be a cool new agey shop next door to it as well - Blue Moon or something similar. Brought back memories of the original Virgin store at Anderston in the city centre in the early-seventies when I was a kid. All gone now but wonderful memories.  

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 16:14
Around here we had Harmony House and CD Warehouse which have both gone out of business but I bought a fair amount of CDs and cassettes from them.  As far as local record stores we had Car City Records, Record Time, and Flipside Records.  I still show at Flipside and once in a while Car City Records.  Sadly, both of the Record Time stores have closed.  My favorite visit to Record Time was seeing the band Tiles play a show promoting their Fly Paper album a few years ago. 

-------------

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 17:55
How I miss Stupeurs & Trompettes and Kaleidoscope! They were two record stores in the center of Marseille: the first one was specialized in avant-garde musics (from Rock In Opposition to industrial music, including free jazz); the second one was more... "generalist", but focused on alternative musics, would it be Heavy Metal, Punk, 70's Funk, Post-Punk, etc...
But they closed before I became a salaryman and get able to spend half my wage on records!

Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 18:32
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

To get to the gritty, cooler stores you had to venture into the city.  At least around here.  Saint Paul and Mpls had some decent ones.  A few were open late night so you could go out, party, and then hit the record store late before heading home..
That reminds me, there's a store in Athens GA ("Low Yo Yo Stuff") that's right next door to the 40 Watt Club, and they stay open late at night so people can hang out before and after shows.  The owner is a great guy too, ready and willing to talk for hours on end about anything music-related under the sun, a real walking encyclopedia.  I wish I got out to Athens more often.  He actually relocated to Atlanta for a couple of years, and I took advantage of that, then he moved back.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 18:40
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

That reminds me, there's a store in Athens GA ("Low Yo Yo Stuff") that's right next door to the 40 Watt Club, and they stay open late at night so people can hang out before and after shows.  The owner is a great guy too, ready and willing to talk for hours on end about anything music-related under the sun, a real walking encyclopedia.  I wish I got out to Athens more often.  He actually relocated to Atlanta for a couple of years, and I took advantage of that, then he moved back.

That sounds great!  Wish there were lots more of such opportunities for kids these days to have that music connection in a social venue like that

-------------

Posted By: Ajay
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 19:01
http://cookshillbooks.blogspot.com.au/" rel="nofollow - Cooks Hill Books, Newcastle, Australia . Still going, as you can see; in fact, it's developed since I frequented it: what is now the display window used to be the entrance; what is now the entrance was just a wall; and there was no deck.

Years ago, it was a cramped, stuffy, dark little box, crammed full of wonders. I'd spend Saturday morning combing the vinyl LP boxes, discovering gems: Steve Swindells' Fresh Blood; Argus by Wishbone Ash; Tommy by The Who, the film soundtrack and orchestral versions; The Eye of Wendor by Mandalaband; The Inner Mounting Flame and Birds Of Fire by Mahavishnu Orchestra; Playing The Fool by Gentle Giant; Initiation by Todd Rundgren; John Barleycorn Must Die, The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys and Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory by Traffic; Crime Of The Century by Supertramp; a compilation of The Goon Show; and far too many others to count. (Cooks Hill Books was also the only bookshop in which I found a copy of Time Of The Hawklords by Michael Butterworth. I still smile at the image of Hawkwind being subdued by the sound of Yes and The Carpenters.)

I used to wonder who collected and then sold such a range of wonderful LPs. Only recently, it came to me that, across Darby Street, maybe twenty metres away, was the building which housed 2NX, Newcastle's rock radio station.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 19:31
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Ahh record shops of my youth!  I lived near Cambridge when I was young.  When I was a teenager I used to go into Cambridge to meet friends and hang around at record shops (or if my parents went shopping I would spend the whole time leafing through vinyl or at least the beautiful covers big and bold colourful covers aaah ! ) .  Probably not as cool as other record shops above, I used to hang around Andy's Records (AKA THe Beat Goes On) which was tiny (originally) and the basement was just sooo coooool (At least to a spotty teenager it was cool) and cramped, no room to get passed anyone.  Andy's also had a store on Cambridge Market which was also brilliant, always busy, I remember buying GonG live Etc from there.  The guy behind the counter was suitably sniffy about my purchase but I think he was a fan too.

There was also another record shop with individual listening booths  which was rare (old fashioned) then.  I can remember listening to Bill Nelson's Red Noise in one of them.  Listening posts came back again later on in the CD era. 

Anyway, Record shops eh?  Aaah!  Record shops .........

We had a branch of Andy's in Bedford - before Andy's moved into town the actual shop itself was a record shop (the name of which escapes me at the moment), they also bought and sold used albums too if I remember correctly. I bought my copy of Dark Side Of The Moon there on the day it was released but everything went all a bit cheap (and nasty) once Andy's took over with a lot of lower quality import copies instead of UK versions filling the racks however by then HMV had opened a branch on Silver Street and in those days it was still a good record shop. An older record shop in Bedford still had listening booths in the mid-70s called Carlows, they also sold sheet-music and musical instruments as well as radios and hi-fi, they rented televisions too. There was another record shop near the bus station (name again escapes) - I remember their shop window displays were always quite impressive, at one time they had a real Van Der Graff Generator in the window to advertise H to He Who Am The Only One. Bedford also had a Harlequin and an Our Price (before they merged into one).

http://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/andys-records2.html" rel="nofollow -

Another small British chain was Revolver Records, none in Bedford but Wellingborough and Rushden had branches - once I became independently mobile (i.e. not reliant on Dad's taxi) those branches became part of my regular "record-hunt" route - I bought a stupidly large top-box for my motorcycle specifically so I could transport albums around - it may have made me look like a Pizza delivery boy but what did I care as long as I could get my latest Amon Düül II find home without dog-earing the corners of the sleeve.  

[On holiday in Barcelona a three years ago I was taken aback by seeing the old Revolver logo over a small record shop there - it may have been a strange coincidence but even the colours were the same, unfortunately I found it on the last day of my visit and it was a Sunday, so 'twas shut.]

One of my favourite record shops from the 70s was Memory Lane in Northampton Derngate - from the name you can guess it didn't sell the latest releases. Back then albums were deleted very quickly if they didn't become hits so an album released in 1970 would be rare and unobtainable by 1973 so those kinds of shop were very popular with collectors (and that also explains why Record Collector magazine became so successful in the 80s) - I never did find a copy of Kaleidoscope's Faintly Blowing, but I'd spend hours there flipping through every album just in case.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 21:29
Though it was a thrill to visit our big Tower records back in the day, about half the time the LP would be inexplicably warped when opened at home--  let's just say there was a lot of "creative repackaging".   Then there were the mid-level shops like The Record Factory where at the tender age of nine I picked up my first album ever, Hemispheres.   But my fave was of course our little neighborhood place, Streetlight Records;  creaky wooden floors, the odor of mildewed cardboard, walls covered in dusty old 45s of James Brown, Stones, Creedence, and Small Faces, and a crew of jaded but chatty clerks.   The owner closed it several years ago to the displeasure of the whole neighborhood.   A woman's clothing store is now there.  

I've heard tell that despite technology, many people young & old sorely miss record shops, and I don't doubt it.  To be able to escape the world for awhile and immerse oneself in a musical environment, one that stimulates all the senses and not just the aural ones, was a pleasure that is slowly fading.   We still have an Amoeba in town but frankly once you've picked-over things, it is limited, and they don't special order.

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 00:01

Too bad we don't have a great record where my family lives but my new home has Mad Platter and Groovers Beer

Some great Prog sh*t is hidden in Groovers  some rarities and vinyls of Close To The Edge and A Farewell To Kings Big smile

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 22:28
The greatest record store there ever was or ever will be, Freebeing Records. 2nd Ave just around the corner from St. Marks Place (two blocks down from the Fillmore East.) Mainly sold used albums back in the "early" 70s. Used albums in excellent condition sold for $2, albums in not so good shape sold for $1. And you could trade your old or not wanted albums for credit or cash. My friends and I would make runs into NYC from New Jersey almost weekly. Bringing back albums we had purchased the week before and buy others. Sometimes we'd come out of there with 10 or 15 albums each. On the way back to Jersey we'd do a couple of rolled numbers then go to someone's house and listen to all the records rating them. Bad albums never made a complete play. I've still albums I bought from there with the Freebeing sticker on them. Great, great times. I miss them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hernanhernandez/3355689764/" rel="nofollow - http://www.flickr.com/photos/hernanhernandez/3355689764/

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 14:01
Record and Tape Traders,a great Maryland chain.There used to be about 12 of these stores,now 1 is left.

http://www.recordandtapetraders.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.recordandtapetraders.com/

-------------

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 14:28
Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ.

A small lil place in a crappy strip mall but has a great metal selection! Largely skewed towards the more obscure, was shocked at some of the things I've found there. Also has prog rock, jazz, "contemporary rock" which tends to hold more alt rock stuff. Tons of music and it's just a cool place.

Lots of bands/people have signed or performed there. Very big names even like Black Sabbath.

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 04:06
Back in Potters Bar, where I grew up, there was a music shop called Delmars which sold instruments & singles (no albums); I believe this was where at age 7 I bought my first ever single (Monster Mash by the Crypt Kicker Five).

Once the teenage years kicked in, it was either Harlequin Records or Harum Records in Barnet. Harum was a splendid shop run by an old hippy (he was probably 28 ) & it was here I started to build up my late 70s collection of heavy metal & prog - one great feature though was they sold 2nd hand records cheaply, so most Saturdays would find me perusing the 'used' section & then minutely inspecting the album for scratches before parting with £1.00 (single album) or £1.50 (double) - occasionally £2.00 , but that was for a mint version of Santana's triple live 'Lotus' (one of my bargains there was an orignal gatefold sleeve version of Hendrix's 'Band Of Gypsies' for £1.50)

We then heard of this legendary place in London's Oxford Street called Virgin, so we paid our £0.20 on the 134 bus (Potters Bar Station to London Centre Point) which dropped us virtually outside... we opened the doors to be confronted by a veritable cavern of Vinyl... whole aisles of heavy rock... a whole section of prog (plus half a floor dedicated to jazz, which we avoided like the plague - how little we knew, eh?) & staff who knew exactly what they were talking about. We had found heaven and this became my 3rd home for much of the early 1980s (my second home was, of course, Hammersmith Odeon).

Incidentally, next door was a place we'd never head of called MacDonalds (I think it was the first one in London) where we could get real American burgers!

[edit]

It's all a long way from Amazon "buy now with one click"

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 04:23
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

We then heard of this legendary place in London's Oxford Street called Virgin, so we paid our £0.20 on the 134 bus (Potters Bar Station to London Centre Point) which dropped us virtually outside... we opened the doors to be confronted by a veritable cavern of Vinyl... whole aisles of heavy rock... a whole section of prog (plus half a floor dedicated to jazz, which we avoided like the plague - how little we knew, eh?) & staff who knew exactly what they were talking about. We had found heaven and this became my 3rd home for much of the early 1980s (my second home was, of course, Hammersmith Odeon).

Incidentally, next door was a place we'd never head of called MacDonalds (I think it was the first one in London) where we could get real American burgers!

[edit]

It's all a long way from Amazon "buy now with one click"
I remember when Virgin was a tiny shop on Oxford Street, I seem to recall it was upstairs above another shop, but I could be wrong.

I think the first UK McD's was in Woolwich, again, memory could be failing here but I think there's a plaque on the wall commemorating said event.

Somewhere between Oxford Street and Soho there was a shop (more of a warehouse) selling discounted American imports in vast quantities - most of them had really thick carboard sleves, bad printing and heavy vinyl - usually they had a corner docked or clipped to show they were imported - managed to pick up quite a few bargains from there.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Ady Cardiac
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 06:08
manic hedgehog down cowley road in oxford circa late '80's........even though at the time i was working in our price records i used to pop in on my day off.....the guy who worked there got me into the pixies and cocteau twins.....pretty much anything on 4AD records......used to always leave with some records.Smile

Posted By: Ajay
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 06:24

Back in Potters Bar, where I grew up, there was a music shop called Delmars which sold instruments & singles (no albums); I believe this was where at age 7 I bought my first ever single (Monster Mash by the Crypt Kicker Five).

Smile  My brother and I bought the Monster Mash album from a remainder bin outside a store one Saturday morning. I played it so often, I must have worn an extra groove in it. Even now, when I walk into a room and find myself asking, "Now why did I come in here again?," I can remember every bloody word of that song.

I liked your telling very much, btw.

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 07:52
^^^

I now have the song running around in my head

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I remember when Virgin was a tiny shop on Oxford Street, I seem to recall it was upstairs above another shop, but I could be wrong

The one we went to must've been just after the Megastore opened

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 08:15

The one we went to must've been just after the Megastore opened
We used to make Saturday excursions by train from Bedford just to visit Virgin and HMV on Oxford Street and that was prior to the Megastore opening.

..and much later of course Tower Records at Piccalilli circus (anywhere that had a seperate "Goth" section was okay by me).

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 08:23
And of all of them, Virgin, HMV, Our Price, Tower, Harum, Harlequin...

...only HMV remains (and that's only just)

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 09:15

And of all of them, Virgin, HMV, Our Price, Tower, Harum, Harlequin...

...only HMV remains (and that's only just)
...and HMV is a sad and sorry place.

-------------
What?

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 11:51
Hi,

More than one!

Moby Disk in Van Nuys in the earliest days before it moved to the other side of 101 on Ventura Blvd ... in the LA area. There is no 2nd!

Other great ones:
The Warehouse - in Westwood (LA). Had 2 or 3 floors of music ... can't remember now, and it specialized in Classical, Jazz and anything but rock music. You could get the soundtrack to your bathroom if you needed it!

Rasputin Records in Berkeley. The biggest and the best insanity ever. And it was so big that they split the jazz classical into another store. Best used bins ever!

All of these in California, btw.

Portland, these days, has Everyday Music, which is not bad, and you can get some used stuff, but its organizational side is really poor all around, as they have a huge section at the front that has supposedly newer stuff, and it's all duplicates and crap! Not sure I would do that to my store, and place the more attractive stuff at the front, not the back! But their folks there, are not very intelligent in terms of the music, or when you bring in your old LP's ... and they only want to give you 50 cents for it! I played this game a bit, and brought in Hawkwind's Space Ritual on the double cover foldout and asked how much ... and the guy said $1.50 ... and I told him he was an idiot ... look up the internet ... how much those double ups go for! He was just being his jerk'y self!

Never been in NY, but can't imagine NY not having a great store. They certainly do not ahve any shortage of distributors! AND, please remember that in those days, these things were "IMPORTS", and not known as "progressive".

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 06:38
I'll speak only of Toronto in the early 80's and late 70's (in my teens, rather than "youth")..; I did visit Montreal and Brussels, but had no fave hang-outs

My fave hang-out was Vortex Records (College & Jarvis)... a fantastic second-hand shop with excellent prizes for VG++ or mints >> still exists, but on Yonge & Eglinton

Record Peddler (Queen East and Jarvis) >> best (and one of three) import shop ... but expensive as hell

Vinyl Museum (Yonge and Dundas) way toooooo expensive (location) and not always VG++ for the price... but the choice...

Records On Wheels (Dundas, Mississauga) >> excellent recommandations

==================

In Brussels, I've lost my three or four faves over the last five or six years... Music Emporium, Music United, Music Room and Metrophone

But two shops still hve survived ....Veals & Geeks (a new arriver on the scene) and Caroline Records

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 10:44
The go to place for used stuff was Wax 'n' Facts.  I built up most of my prog collection back in the day on $2 singles and $3 doubles.  Turtles was the go to place for new vinyl.  Moving on to the CD age, you couldn't beat Tower Records.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 11:25
When I was a teenager there weren't any 'record shops' per se....but at college in '69 at IU Bloomington IN there was a place called Karma records that was decent and plenty of 'head shops' that also carried vinyl and back home in northern Indiana there was a hole in the wall called Hegwish Records that had a decent collection  of import vinyl.
Some one mentioned Vintage Vinyl in Evanston IL...been there a few times and there is a really neat place in Minneapolis called The Electric Fetus which I visited when my daughter lived  in town.

http://www.electricfetus.com/CustomPage/1430" rel="nofollow - http://www.electricfetus.com/CustomPage/1430

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 15:10
Yeah, we had a head shop/record store in business for a little while down here.  I'll get back to you when I remember the name.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Chicapah
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 17:17
When I was a teen there was a small, family-owned store in a strip center located about a quarter mile from my house.  The older lady that was there the most often was knowledgeable about all kinds of genres and I'd have many intelligent discussions about rock & roll groups with her.  They had a "listening booth" that allowed me to check out singles from unknown bands and I just remember it as being a special, relaxed place where I could indulge in my fascination with music at leisure.  Too bad places like that are gone forevermore.

-------------
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 01:01
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Records On Wheels (Dundas, Mississauga) >> excellent recommandations

Ah, was just going to mention that. I actually live near Dundas, stop down there all the time. The store owner, Mike's a big 70's Prog and Kraut guy, so he's got all that good stuff. That's usually where I get a lot of my music. We got some great one's in Downtown Hamilton as well - Doctor Disc, Cheapies. Looney Tunes in Burlington ain't bad either.

-------------

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 13:19
There used to be 3 great shops in Middlesbrough back in the days of vinyl - Hamiltons, Alan Fearnley's and Austin's Records. Austin's didn't carry as much stock as the other 2 but he was a really nice guy who'd recommend and order stuff for you with a nice personal touch. Sadly, now all gone.

Posted By: SoundscapeMN
Date Posted: April 11 2013 at 17:26
Cheapo was and still is the best record store in Minnesota and possibly the Midwest US. The only store I've been to that I prefer is Amoeba Records, preferably the Northern California locations.

I'm actually looking to publish an entry in my blog soon about my experience and ratings per say of Record Stores in Minnesota and where I've been to in other towns (not a ton). Hopefully have it published by Record Store Day, April 20th.

-------------
http://rateyourmusic.com/SoundscapeMN/">
http://last.fm/user/SoundscapeMN
http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com

Posted By: stegor
Date Posted: April 11 2013 at 23:03
Originally posted by SoundscapeMN SoundscapeMN wrote:

Cheapo was and still is the best record store in Minnesota and possibly the Midwest US. The only store I've been to that I prefer is Amoeba Records, preferably the Northern California locations.

The shops I used to frequent here in MN were
Oar Folkjokeopus
Hot Licks
Northern Lights
Optic Nerve
Electric Fetus

Roadrunner came later and actually had a Prog section.

Midland Records was the one in my nearby suburban mall and where I have the most vivid memories of discovery in my 'tweens when I wandered away from my mom. I especially loved looking at the Frank Zappa records.

Posted By: otto pankrock
Date Posted: April 12 2013 at 19:17
Drastic Plastic here in St.Catharines.
Pop-Tones in the late '80s was really good.
There was a place in Hamilton (which I forget) I used to get my Eloy. Even if he didn't want the stuff I brought in he'd still cut me some slack on what I bought.

Posted By: The Stygian Heresy
Date Posted: December 02 2017 at 21:48
Hot Poop Records & Tapes in Walla Walla, WA.  The owner is Jim McGuinn, very honest, very cool guy, never let me push the limits of my budget, knowing I was in high school.  I wanted everything listed in those JEM Record catalogs (remember those?) from 77, 78, and 79.

Posted By: MillsLayne
Date Posted: December 02 2017 at 22:33
The closest thing I had to a "record store" in Helena, Montana was a video rental store called Hastings.  I guess they're kind of scattered (or were, might have all closed) across the country.  They had a decent selection of music, video games and books and also movies.  That was our hangout spot back in the day. 

-------------
http://gamercards.exophase.com/xbox/user/MillsLayne/" rel="nofollow">

ht

Posted By: Frankh
Date Posted: December 03 2017 at 00:51
Apex Records.

Charlie Brown, proprietor.

Corner of State Street and Broadway, now a Christian bookstore.

He it was who brought back from distant shores for me the likes of Robert Fripp and Brian Eno No Pussyfooting and Gentle Giant In A Glass House.

Great memories, thanks for the thread and bless you, Mr.Brown, wherever you may be now.

-------------
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk