Print Page | Close Window

What do you like most about the Prog Archives?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92437
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 08:37
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What do you like most about the Prog Archives?
Posted By: horza
Subject: What do you like most about the Prog Archives?
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 15:07
I joined this site in 2005. I was active for quite a while and only recently came back. I have to say that this time round I am enjoying my experience even more that I did the first time.

I'm not going to try and nail down what it is exactly that I enjoy - I could say that the feeling of community is what really gets me - that is a big part of it.

What is it about PA that keeps you coming back ?

***Forgive me if this has been asked before***
**It might even be in the wrong section **

-------------
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.

Replies:
Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 15:13
The babes.  It has to be the babes.  Tongue

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 15:38
How did I know that when I saw that The Doctor had posted the response would have to do with the ladies of PA? LOL

-------------

Posted By: fusionfreak
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 15:44
It's a comprehensive and open minded website.I also enjoy reviews and debates

-------------
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king

Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 15:49
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

So who exactly are these babes ?

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 15:55
The bare-knuckle, knock-down brawls....which is better, CTTE or Foxtrot?  

Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 16:05
Originally posted by horza horza wrote:

So who exactly are these babes ?

Creations of my mind.  Although, there are a couple hotties here (who shall remain nameless)  Wink

But my real reason for coming back again and again is that I have fun here.  And after all is said and done, that's what's important to me. 

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 16:13
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The bare-knuckle, knock-down brawls....which is better, CTTE or Foxtrot?  

CTTE is the better album of the two BUT Supper's Ready is the best track from both - does that make sense?

It does to me

-------------

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 16:16
I like the member's conversing between each other. That's much more educational/in depth than doing research. People can get very deep on this website. There is also style to their conversations and that's a plus. When members disagree during on subject matter such as a specific band or style of prog , I usually leave progarchives, do a search on their points, return to progarchives, and compare/observe analogies. You can learn from actual members who have a brain like a  encyclopedia and as a result obtain vast knowledge about prog.

Posted By: Lord Jagged
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 17:41
Nice people, good reviews and recommendations, welcoming moderators and of course, the mythical "babes."

-------------
Dead Souls In The Rear View Mirror Hitch A Ride For A While..

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 17:42
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I like the member's fighting each other. That's much more dubious claiming than doing actual research. People can dig very deep in the skin of the adversary on this website. There is also style to their insults and personal attacks and that's a plus. When members disagree during on subject matter such as DT vs. Genesis vs. Lady Gaga or Neo-Prog vs. Hip-Hop vs. R.I.O. , I usually leave progarchives, wait for the storm to stop, return to progarchives, and compare/observe damages and casualties. You can learn from actual members who have a brain and as a result obtain vast disillusion about prog.

Fixed.

Also, this is what I believe about PA. Clown

Posted By: Ajay
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 17:56
I like the sense of being understood in my musical tastes. I just don't have these conversations outside this forum. Offline, if I mention Marillion or Transatlantic or Glass Hammer (to name but a few), people go, "Who?" Here, it's, "Yeah, they're great, have you heard their last album?" Priceless.

Posted By: Lord Jagged
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 18:01
Originally posted by Ajay Ajay wrote:

I like the sense of being understood in my musical tastes. I just don't have these conversations outside this forum. Offline, if I mention Marillion or Transatlantic or Glass Hammer (to name but a few), people go, "Who?" Here, it's, "Yeah, they're great, have you heard their last album?" Priceless.

Yup. Had that at work this week.

"So which concert did you go to on Monday?"

"Steven Wilson."

"Who?"

Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

-------------
Dead Souls In The Rear View Mirror Hitch A Ride For A While..

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 18:06
Being a part of the RPI team and helping people discover Italian prog has been the coolest thing for me personally.  And in general the site has helped me to hear far more music than I would have without it.  

-------------

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 18:08
Good friends with the same "proggish" flavour like mine. Handshake

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 18:11
I love the community.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 18:12
I appreciate the fact that pretty much everyone here, regardless of political beliefs, age, or demographic, seems to feel and act like an individual with a skeptical eye towards mainstream thought.  On most other boards I've been on, there's a tendency for conformity and not questioning things.  In my experience here, everyone seems to have a sound mind of their own, as well as a mutual respect for each others' individuality.  I think that's what I like the best, and it's probably a trait of progressive rock types in general, and probably why I was attracted to the music in the first place.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 18:12
I mainly come for the ratings and reviews for when I'm looking for purchases.

The banter is fairly entertaining though I could use some more Avant-heads.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 18:13
Originally posted by Lord Jagged Lord Jagged wrote:

Yup. Had that at work this week.

"So which concert did you go to on Monday?"

"Steven Wilson."

"Who?"

Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Anymore, when people ask me what kind of music I listen to, I respond with "I like weird music." 

-------------

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 18:31
The sense of community, basically. And i really love sending and recieving PMs!

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 19:08

Anymore, when people ask me what kind of music I listen to, I respond with "I like weird music." 
I do pretty much the same thing. If they persist I tend to list Yes, Genesis & King Crimson first, if they look blank I give up.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 19:24
For me likeminded freaks and geeks and musicians and artists who all like this borderline art called prog---it's very movingCryLOL

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 19:26
Finnforest's avatars of course.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 19:48
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Finnforest's avatars of course.

LOLThumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 20:18

I can't count how many new and old bands and albums I discovered from this website over the last 10 years or more. Believe it or not, I never would have given Genesis a chance, nor would I have ever heard of Camel. Those are two bands I love now. Every other source that I was aware of as a kid (Rolling Stone Record Guide, Spin Record Guide, Trouser Press, etc.) either ignored prog bands or ridiculed them. I had no way of knowing that large numbers of people consider "Selling England by the Pound" to be one of the greatest albums ever made, for example - were it not for this site. It was enough to get me to listen to it and figure out why it's so loved.

Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 20:22
Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

I love the community.

It's hard to reconcile those words with your Bernard Black avatar, LOL

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: March 11 2013 at 20:56
For the freaks and geeks, and the selection of new & old material I did not know about.  Connection to like-minded people.  The occasional fun of seeing a forum discussion get out of control (as long as it doesn't get too snarky).  Lots of humor here, a kind of humor that most people would not get because most people don't listen to these weird styles of music.  Handshake  Keep calm and prog on.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 00:44

Clap CoolStar The heated debates and arguments get my blood pumping Evil Smile. I love a good heated argument Big smile but I don't want people to think that's all I love I also love doing album reviews and looking up artists discography

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 01:09
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

I can't count how many new and old bands and albums I discovered from this website over the last 10 years or more. Believe it or not, I never would have given Genesis a chance, nor would I have ever heard of Camel. Those are two bands I love now. Every other source that I was aware of as a kid (Rolling Stone Record Guide, Spin Record Guide, Trouser Press, etc.) either ignored prog bands or ridiculed them. I had no way of knowing that large numbers of people consider "Selling England by the Pound" to be one of the greatest albums ever made, for example - were it not for this site. It was enough to get me to listen to it and figure out why it's so loved.

I feel very much the same way. I didn't even bother listening to Genesis until I saw how much people on this site love them. Now I am very glad I've begun delving into their earlier music.

I enjoy progarchives for the forums and discussions. I don't know many people who I can talk to about music I enjoy, so this is a very convenient place to do so. It can also help me learn about new bands, whether it be through the forums, or any other part of the site. Oh, and I absolutely LOVE learning new things about music as well. Smile

Posted By: Morsenator
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 02:11
Finding new stuff to dig into, obviously. I think about 95% of the music I listen to now has been discovered either via PA or last.fm. And I can blame these two for making a me a semi-serious music addict.. Ermm Cool

-------------
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: dibble
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 02:24
I love the depth of this place, the joy of sharing our musical passions, but most importantly I think being on here is going to be great great fun!

And, just now, I really really want to use this smilie!!!! Headbanger

-------------
Loving newly discovered music here. :)

Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 02:26
And, I am learning so much and that is total wow to have this musical expansion.

Thanks!!! Smile

-------------

Posted By: Dalex_61
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 03:36
I'm afraid 'im not a very active member in this forum, but Progarchives is my reference site when it comes to prog. It's an inexhaustible well, kind of a Wonderland to me. I couldn't say what I better like here: I love the whole lot! Smile

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 04:03
There are really two things I like about PA equally:

1) Some of the people here have such outstanding personalities; ... such role models. Others should aspire to be that.
2) At the end of the day, this is the place I go to. It's like a bar to hang out in, talk to people, being able to relate to them, ...

You wanna go where people know,
people are all the same,
You wanna go where everybody knows
your name.

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 04:04
I found on PA that virtual connections could be more real than those i have with my real friends....Wink

-------------
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Posted By: zeqexes
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 04:32

This. Also, the sense of community is great Smile

-------------

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 06:16
I admit being a bit selfish since what I like the most is the vast amount of knowledge available for free, from which I shamelessly profit much more than what I contribute.

Having said that, it's also nice to participate in the forum with you ladies and guys, and if anybody can benefit from any of my input, all the better!

Posted By: dysoriented
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 07:06
I'm a lurker, I'm more read and respond, I haven't started any threads. But I too have picked up on a lot of older music well before my time just from reading other people's opinions on this website! I'm not very old and all my friends are into all this 'hip' and 'now' drum and bass, dubstep, or 'emo' style, and I really don't fit in. But I feel I fit in on here. 
Furthermore if I need to know anything about music, PA is my encyclopedia!

Posted By: LinusW
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 07:22
The music, of course, but primarily the people who dig it up and recommend stuff you'd never have thought to explore yourself. The site has expanded my taste in music almost uncontrollably throughout the years.

Enjoying this in a (mostly) friendly, relaxed and fun atmosphere has been and continue to be a treat. That's why I keep coming back, even if I don't contribute as much as I used to.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/LinusW88" rel="nofollow - Blargh

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 07:36
The best thing - finding new friends and discovering Tinyfish.

Second best thing - discovering other new bands e.g Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Big Big Train, Transatlantic, Spocks Beard and many others.

Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 07:49
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I appreciate the fact that pretty much everyone here, regardless of political beliefs, age, or demographic, seems to feel and act like an individual with a skeptical eye towards mainstream thought.  On most other boards I've been on, there's a tendency for conformity and not questioning things.  In my experience here, everyone seems to have a sound mind of their own, as well as a mutual respect for each others' individuality.  I think that's what I like the best, and it's probably a trait of progressive rock types in general, and probably why I was attracted to the music in the first place.

Really? A mutual respect? I find that difficult to believe

Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 07:56
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

I like the member's fighting each other. That's much more dubious claiming than doing actual research. People can dig very deep in the skin of the adversary on this website. There is also style to their insults and personal attacks and that's a plus. When members disagree during on subject matter such as DT vs. Genesis vs. Lady Gaga or Neo-Prog vs. Hip-Hop vs. R.I.O. , I usually leave progarchives, wait for the storm to stop, return to progarchives, and compare/observe damages and casualties. You can learn from actual members who have a brain and as a result obtain vast disillusion about prog.

Fixed.

Also, this is what I believe about PA. Clown

Good! Now I can stop being a TODDLER and express my true colors. I come here to laugh at Jon Anderson's cosmic seasoned witch garbage.

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 09:54
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

I love the community.

It's hard to reconcile those words with your Bernard Black avatar, LOL
No, I REALLY do. Come on, it's awesome. Wink

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 10:28

I agree with you Steve, even if one of my favourite posters doesn'tTongueLOL

The point John made about Jim's avatars is also quite valid...

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 11:33
Easy - the cheerful banter and plethora of reviews that have introduced me to prog groups I never knew existed!

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 11:42
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

I found on PA that virtual connections could be more real than those i have with my real friends....Wink

Simple way to change that - if possible, change 'virtual' to 'real'; I've done so on several occasions with people I first met online here. One in particular hails from Canada & my wife & I have now been on several holidays to Newfoundland with his family.

Turns out we look similar, too:

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 11:48
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Nah, Peter's not bad looking!Tongue

Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 11:56

I see what you're saying -- but despite some heated arguments that occasionally get ugly, I do believe that at the end of the day we're glad that we're all different, and wouldn't have it any other way. Doesn't mean we all have to like each other, or even treat each other with total courtesy all the time.  We're human.  That's all I'm sayin'.

-------------

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 12:18
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Nah, Peter's not bad looking!Tongue

Git

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 13:22
I've already confessed, no need to confess again.

-------------

Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 13:42
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

I've already confessed, no need to confess again.

Dylan, yeah ;-)

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: March 12 2013 at 13:45

Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Simple way to change that - if possible, change 'virtual' to 'real'; I've done so on several occasions with people I first met online here. One in particular hails from Canada & my wife & I have now been on several holidays to Newfoundland with his family.

Yes, great story and good lesson!

-------------
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 07:43

I see what you're saying -- but despite some heated arguments that occasionally get ugly, I do believe that at the end of the day we're glad that we're all different, and wouldn't have it any other way. Doesn't mean we all have to like each other, or even treat each other with total courtesy all the time.  We're human.  That's all I'm sayin'.

When I first joined there were a few members who disliked King Crimson...which is not the point or issue. I mention this because their dislike for the band was what they presented on the surface. I personally had a problem with their abundance of confidence as they stated their false claims. I would state facts about the foundation of the band which was a road painted for other bands to follow and they would disagree by saying things like...huh? What planet are you from? Where do you come up with such ideas? ..and the more harsh attacks they made I will not mention. And then it was obvious they liked YES and hated K.C. If a member on this site states facts that prove me wrong..I will say..okay..you're correct and I'm incorrect. How can you be so stupied and ignorant to not admit you are wrong..or to feel that you don't need to learn anything new based on the dream that you already know everything? and that was a problem I dealt with for a very long extensive time. I've surpassed the levels which ..I dwelt in the house of the dead for a while because of it..but in point I was rather shocked to face someone who attempted to prove that what I'd learned the whole of my life was wrong. No offense to anyone belonging to this site, just color me surprised how some individuals will disagree with what is evident in prog.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 08:57
Hi,

Honestly ... I don't know ... a bit of everything.

As a reviewer, knowing your product and what you are seeing is important ... but above all, knowing what YOUR feelings are about the film/music at hand is much more important.

I do my best to interpret these, despite some folks at PA not liking it. But I can say that my reviews have been used in several Film Festivals accross the world, and are in the Internet Movie Database, and I am no longer looking for "acceptance" for my views ... since they are floating ideas and comments that could change tomorrow with different circumstances and understandings. As such, a database/fan related thing will not like that kind of individuality ... but I have already come to grips with the socialistic and communistic nature of any database!

All the arts, fit into areas that people either love it or hate it, or want to create laws against it. I consider myself part of the group that fights the establishment for their laziness and lack of ability to even do a manicure or pedicure -- not to mention remove the stentch that comes with it -- in order to allow the person to be seen ... and appreciated.

PA has a lot of good, that is not organized, and in the end, this is just a database, and nothing else, and a place like Wiki, is at least making an effort to organize all the gibberish in the database, so that anyone can find things better, more efficiently, and it fills a better niche, as an information tool.

The sad thing about ... just a database ... is that nothing in it will be kept, or used, or saved, in due time ... and a lot of work and appreciation will get wasted, the day that someone says ... we're wasting that much hard drive space? ... and ciao baby ... but then, isn't that the nature of the internet and "information" ... and at the very least, we know the artists will outive that stuff way more and better!

But I am not sure that anyone can organize and improve things any more ... and no one is getting paid to do it, which is the real issue in the end! Maybe start up a subscription service and hope that folks stick to it -- but that's scary in its own right, and too many fans will leave tomorrow for a different pasture ... !!! ... that's a fan for you!

But there are some excellent folks here ... and I hate to see their knowledge and appreciation and work wasted here, there, or anywhere! And some of the knowledge goes even further ...

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 09:05
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Honestly ... I don't know ... a bit of everything.

As a reviewer, knowing your product and what you are seeing is important ... but above all, knowing what YOUR feelings are about the film/music at hand is much more important.

I do my best to interpret these, despite some folks at PA not liking it.

All the arts, fit into areas that people either love it or hate it, or want to create laws against it. I consider myself part of the group that fights the establishment for their laziness and lack of ability to even do a manicure or pedicure -- not to mention remove the stentch that comes with it -- in order to allow the person to be seen ... and appreciated.

PA has a lot of good, that is not organized, and in the end, this is just a database, and nothing else, and a place like Wiki, is at least making an effort to organize all the gibberish in the database, so that anyone can find things better, more efficiently, and it fills a better niche, as an information tool.

The sad thing about ... just a database ... is that nothing in it will be kept, or used, or saved, in due time ... and a lot of work and appreciation will get wasted, the day that someone says ... we're wasting that much hard drive space? ... and ciao baby ... but then, isn't that the nature of the internet and "information" ... and at the very least, we know the artists will outive that stuff way more and better!

But I am not sure that anyone can organize and improve things any more ... and no one is getting paid to do it, which is the real issue in the end! Maybe start up a subscription service and hope that folks stick to it -- but that's scary in its own right, and too many fans will leave tomorrow for a different pasture ... !!! ... that's a fan for you!

But there are some excellent folks here ... and I hate to see their knowledge and appreciation and work wasted here, there, or anywhere! And some of the knowledge goes even further ...

Once again. This is a site for  reviewing albums. It doesn't pretend to be anything more than that. It is what it is.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 09:07

Good! Now I can stop being a TODDLER and express my true colors. I come here to laugh at Jon Anderson's cosmic seasoned witch garbage.

You heathen!!!!! You must think that Stevie Nicks is more important, or a better witch in a circle!

Wow!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 09:09
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Once again. This is a site for  reviewing albums. It doesn't pretend to be anything more than that. It is what it is.

Shocked...I thought this was a site for picking up women and annoying libertarians.  Oops.  Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 09:12

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Shocked...I thought this was a site for picking up women and annoying libertarians.  Oops.  Embarrassed

Well the forum is for anything. An anarchistic free for all! (All in  the correct forum sections of  course)

-------------

Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 10:14
Expansion  in many ways. 

Still discovering....

and loving the discussions.  Smile

-------------

Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 10:22
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

You heathen!!!!! You must think that Stevie Nicks is more important, or a better witch in a circle!

Wow!

I tune both of them out like I do with reality T.V. You know..those YES freaks in New Jersey from the 70's who rolled their eyes, played with their hair, smoked dope, and thought for some reason or the other that Jon Anderson was about to enter their soul into Heaven or a monastery? Besides...witches are a hoax! They just bring physical harm to innocent people like misfits in gangs do today. But I suppose the word witch is an excuse to rise above all of that?

Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 10:30
IT IS WHAT IT IS....Isn't that a cocky excuse for not changing or moving on? I love how people say it too. It always comes across in such a way that losers shrug their shoulders and sigh. How about this one....Wherever you are, there you are. in otherwords..don't do something, just stand there.

Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 10:59
I first heard "it is what it is" from a boss of mine about 8 years ago. We'd screwed something up and I was worried the client would get mad. "Oh well, it is what it is," he said, and I thought, "oh. Well rhat's okay then." It was a very convenient philosophy, even better than "don't worry, be happy" because it didn't even require the effort to be happy. Little did I suspect that the phrase would come into such popular use, like "whatever" and "get over it" (which even inspired an Eagles song!)

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 11:14

IT IS WHAT IT IS....Isn't that a cocky excuse for not changing or moving on? I love how people say it too. It always comes across in such a way that losers shrug their shoulders and sigh. How about this one....Wherever you are, there you are. in otherwords..don't do something, just stand there.

No

-------------

Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 11:44

I first heard "it is what it is" from a boss of mine about 8 years ago. We'd screwed something up and I was worried the client would get mad. "Oh well, it is what it is," he said, and I thought, "oh. Well rhat's okay then." It was a very convenient philosophy, even better than "don't worry, be happy" because it didn't even require the effort to be happy. Little did I suspect that the phrase would come into such popular use, like "whatever" and "get over it" (which even inspired an Eagles song!)

But many times it's used as a powerful physical line of words to make people relax about something in life which is horrific. Like for example...my friend's marriage is on a downslide because his wife cheats regularly. He is very down about it and those stupied words come out of his mouth.."It is what it is"...really? You're not gonna change that? You're not going to move on? So when the phrase is used in that way..I find it to be a pat on the back or someone kidding themselves. So that's where I'm going. People tend to use the saying to continue swimming in the mud which is a poor excuse to continue living and pretending life is fine as you paste a stupied phony smile on your face and allow everyone to screw you.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 13:41
^ People need an excuse for not accepting responsibility. We live in a blame-culture and everyone needs someone else to blame because nothing is ever their fault, if we can say "It is what it is" then we can side-step the issue and avoid the witch-hunt. Sometimes you've got to look people in the eye and ask if it really is what it is.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 16:36
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ People need an excuse for not accepting responsibility. We live in a blame-culture and everyone needs someone else to blame because nothing is ever their fault, if we can say "It is what it is" then we can side-step the issue and avoid the witch-hunt. Sometimes you've got to look people in the eye and ask if it really is what it is.

Thanks!

Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 17:19

When I first joined there were a few members who disliked King Crimson...

BURN THE HERETICS!!!

If that's alright with the rest of you...

Posted By: sorcerer kermes
Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 17:23
a place that you are sure it belongs just to Prog music

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 17:24
I'm here since the site was officially 2 months old (almost 9 years).

I have to like almost everything to stay. Wink

Iván

PS: I dislike King Crimson (Except ITCOTCK)

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 17:54
It beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick

Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 18:02
Not necessarily, Richard.  You should try hanging out in the political threads.  Wink

There are times I spent there when I was longing for a sharp stick in the eye. 

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 19:51
I would like to nominate "Poke in the Eye with a Sharp Stick" for Crossover. Its an insult that its still only prog-related.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 20:16
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I'm here since the site was officially 2 months old (almost 9 years).

I have to like almost everything to stay. Wink

Iván

PS: I dislike King Crimson (Except ITCOTCK)

LOL

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 20:20
King Crimson is best classic prog band.

Tongue

I like reading the reviews and opinions in general. Though we all know we can't agree with them all.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 20:21
^^ Horizons, I'm sorry but you're opinion is not shared by everyone Tongue

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 20:23
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Shall we dance to this tune again? :3

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 20:24
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Shall we dance to this tune again? :3

No, we shall not ? <3 I have already given you my opinion of the band Wink

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 20:27
Steven Wilson's remix of Poke in the Eye with a Sharp Stick will be released later this year for a 40th anniversary edition. Steve promises it'll be a clearer Poke.

Posted By: geneyesontle
Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 20:29
Talking to the best people in the world. The funniest, and the less consevative. Also, sharing my passion to prog rock.

-------------
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle

Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 21:01

When I first joined there were a few members who disliked King Crimson...

BURN THE HERETICS!!!

If that's alright with the rest of you...

I think not they take over our operation Wink

Posted By: Larree
Date Posted: March 13 2013 at 23:25
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ People need an excuse for not accepting responsibility. We live in a blame-culture and everyone needs someone else to blame because nothing is ever their fault, if we can say "It is what it is" then we can side-step the issue and avoid the witch-hunt. "Sometimes you've got to look people in the eye and ask if it really is what it is."

That line could be the makings of a song!

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 08:20
The arguments; definitely the arguments:

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 12:58
^ why, yes, and you'll be sorry!!!! Tongue

Please fill this out now

BUTTHURT REPORT FORM

http://nexua.org/niji/butthurt-form/" rel="nofollow - http://nexua.org/niji/butthurt-form/

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: wschm007
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 13:05
I recently joined, but have been using the site for several years to expand my musical horizons.  The wealth of prog information available in one place is second to none.

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 15:34

The arguments; definitely the arguments:

Yeah I have a black belt in keyboard

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 20:01
I like the toilet humor.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 20:05
Or:

I like the database...full of information on many many prog bands, all laid out nicely and easy to read/access. Good place to get recs and see where to go next on the prog journey.

The forums are nice for we can all discuss anything at all (which seems to be a rarity). Also, always nice to interact with people that share some similarity to you.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 23:32
The just for fun forum.
And I guess the archive of prog bands is pretty cool, too.

Posted By: MACB
Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 17:35
I am new here, but for me the thing that impresses me (and scares me a litttle) is the knowledge.

Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 16:39
The pointless discussions about what is the best... Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 16:40
The buttcheeks.  It has to be the buttcheeks.  Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 18:23
The money for nothing and the chicks for free???

Wait a second... they're buttcheecks???

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 18:30
Look at 4 posts above this one.  Wink

-------------

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 20:30
^ nothing to see here, move along 

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 22:12

Smile

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: March 26 2013 at 17:39
Jim's avatars indeed... Dean's retro-PA signature (can't beat that)... and of course the colossal amounts of music I have discovered in here since 2005.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 26 2013 at 23:29
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

The pointless discussions about what is the best... Tongue

at least there is some knowledge and objectivity--I check out a Yes fan boy website occasionally and it's depressing how they love it all not matter how bad. I mean they would equate Howe Sherwood in talent ---it's all the same--a guitarist is a guitarist.Shocked

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: March 26 2013 at 23:33
The people obviously- educated, funny, helpful, and great taste in music.

And oh ya- the Dream Theater threads.

-------------

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: March 27 2013 at 04:30
Much of the music I adore is celebrated (and ridiculed) here
I enjoy using the albums ratings/reviews to get an idea of what might be a good place to start for any given band/artist
Some of the humour around here is certainly to my taste
Some of the trolling and flaming is for the most part, entertaining
The site is not overly monitored
I'm not however, going to lie and say that I like or dislike people that I've never met.

-------------

Posted By: elbownut
Date Posted: March 27 2013 at 07:23
In a world where you very rarely find this kind of music played on radio or shown on TV etc, it is a welcome oasis in the desert.

-------------
"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk