Print Page | Close Window

Your ultimate feel good album

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92490
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 19:50
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Your ultimate feel good album
Posted By: dysoriented
Subject: Your ultimate feel good album
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 16:51
What album uplifts you, puts a smile on your face every time without fail?

For me it's Camel's Mirage, it holds some good memories for me, and pretty much carries me elsewhere when I stick it on.

Replies:
Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:04
Camel's Breathless does the job for me.  Lots of memories.  Nostalgia is a slippery slope, though.  Sometimes the happy feeling can turn to sadness.  But mostly it's a happy thing.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: wilmon91
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:07
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Camel's Breathless does the job for me.  Lots of memories.  Nostalgia is a slippery slope, though.  Sometimes the happy feeling can turn to sadness.  But mostly it's a happy thing.

Fantastic, that was the album I was thinking about the secondf after I saw the thread title! A very sunny, uplifting album!! Smile

I have to think some more to find other albums...

Posted By: Larree
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:09
I can name a bunch of albums that do it for me!

But sticking with prog, The Yes Album definitely puts a huge smile on my face when I hear it.

-------------
http://larree.ws" rel="nofollow - The Larree (dot) Website

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:20
Univers Zero - Heresie

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:23
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Univers Zero - Heresie
LOL Do you happen to be on America's ten most wanted list ?

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: ProgressiveAttic
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:24
Believe it or not, that'd be "Tales From Topographic Oceans"

-------------
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Posted By: Mellotron Storm

Pretty much how i feel about Permanent Waves by Rush. So many great memories but a sadness because i'd like to go back in time.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Steve Roach - Darkest Before Dawn

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:30
Lucio Battisti's Anima Latina hands down! Everything about this album makes my heart warmer and smile bigger.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:33
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Pretty much how i feel about Permanent Waves by Rush. So many great memories but a sadness because i'd like to go back in time.
Yeah, exactly. Life was pretty nice in the late 70s.

-------------

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:35

Then my generation came along and made a mess of it all! Generation x my ass...

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:35
Mmm strolling down memory lane isn't always pleasant. Like, I can only recently listen to Dream Theater's Scenes From a Memory again, as my finding it clashed with some pretty hard times.

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:38
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Bahaaaa, my generation popularized dance, trance and drum and bass!! U_U

Posted By: LinusW
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:43

No sadness for me (so far), but a great call nevertheless. Permanent Waves revolutionized what music was and could be for me back when I discovered prog. Now: full of safety and warmth, without losing its relevance. It's like coming home.

Outside prog, and perhaps my go-to feel-good album in general:

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/george_harrison/all_things_must_pass/" rel="nofollow">

Heart

Anima Latina is another fine option, but it's too much head over heart in my enjoyment of that one.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/LinusW88" rel="nofollow - Blargh

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:44
Originally posted by dysoriented dysoriented wrote:

Bahaaaa, my generation popularized dance, trance and drum and bass!! U_U

I was actually just joking a bit with these elderly men. I happen to like trance, dub step, IDM, house and yes drum n bass tooBig smile 
I was just making the ancient PA comment about what the 80s did to our most beloved genre of music, tongue in cheek though.... Lots of good stuff in there as well.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:49
Well, two huge guilty pleasures that I'm sure will NOT go down well with the Prog establishment lol!

The Go-Go's - Beauty and the Beat

The B-52's - s/t

Two of the most peppy, energetic and bouncy debut albums ever, both always make me smile!

But if I had to go for a Prog album, either Hoelderlin's `New Faces' or Camel's `Moon Madness' do the positive trick just fine!

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:50
Nice ones MichaelLOL

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:50
GonG Live Etc.  Not to do with looking back, its just the music makes me a very happy bunny every time. 

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:55
Michael, nothing wrong with those two!  Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:56
As for the Go-Go's, I just LOVE "Our Lips Are Sealed".  One of my favorite pop songs from that period.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:59
@Guldbamsen

I guessed as much, I do like underground DnB though... NuElementz, Sly, DJ Guv. Needs to be heavy LOL

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=Gc-DbhpYtPQ1DM&tbnid=XtAIk29OEkcqSM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Frateyourmusic.com%2Frelease%2Falbum%2Fstyx%2Fcornerstone%2F&ei=A1ZCUbGnKaaZyAGBroCgAw&bvm=bv.43287494,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNF_rPVGTl-jhW8avqq1ok_raXlnLA&ust=1363388290329447" rel="nofollow">

For single songs, Cheap Trick's "Surrender" does it. 

-------------

Nice ones MichaelLOL

Honestly, Dave, I kind of liked the idea of someone spraying their drink all over the screen upon seeing those Go-Go's/B-52's album covers on a PROG website lol!    

I remember many years ago, a local pool hall I used to spend most weekeds/Frdiay nights at, a bit rough, and they always had a jukebox booming out Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi, Metallica, just big blokely `guy' songs, and my friend and I would always put on the Go-Go's `Our Lips Are Sealed' (you know, with the video of them in the water fountain lol?!), and the collective look of `What the F**K?!' around the place was priceless lol!

Although the place is long gone, I stil remember the jukebox code for that particular song - 00, 13 - lol!

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Univers Zero - Heresie
LOL Do you happen to be on America's ten most wanted list ?
What can I tell you, it makes me happy, my other two options were:-

Shub Niggurath - Les Morts Vont Vite
Leonard Cohen - Songs Of Love & Hate

If that second one comes on in the car I sing along with a grin on my face.

"Do not dress in those rags for me, I know you are not poor You don't love me quite so fiercely now when you know that you are not sure It is your turn, beloved, it is your flesh that I wear"

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 18:03
Although I marginally prefer The Snow Goose to Moonmadness (and anything else for that matter), Moonmadness always makes me smile whereas The Snow Goose always makes me feel very, very sad.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 18:08

Irrelevant fact, anyone notice that that's not the real Brian May? He wasn't well at the time!

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 18:10
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Jim, I was shocked when I discovered on reading up on them that the Go-Go's were anything BUT `America's Sweethearts' or `girls next door'! They were actually very naughty, debauchered and wicked things lol!    

As for the B-52's, saw them a couple of years back when they played Melbourne....quite a disappointing experience. The girls were great and brought some serious energy and positivity, but dear old Fred made no effort whatsoever, appeared in a supremely bad mood and made it clear he didn't want to be there. Thanks for taking our money, though, Fred, happy to help out....

On the plus side, they played most of their killer debut album AND `Mesopotamia' - one of my favourites, and very underrated!

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 18:12
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=madness+one+step+beyond&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=nYwR22g518sypM&tbnid=XLs4ofZqp2I0EM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhybridhits.blogspot.com%2F2012%2F05%2Ftarzans-nuts-by-madness.html&ei=IVlCUeyJEvPa0QWTz4HgAQ&bvm=bv.43287494,d.ZWU&psig=AFQjCNHAP8Z-6uSbvheBJjW2XJdmTLEMEA&ust=1363388968154980" rel="nofollow">

If we're talking non prog

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 18:37
Devin Townshend's Synchestra

The Boredoms' Vision Creation Newsun

Both very uplifting.

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: ClemofNazareth
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 19:13
[QUOTE=Aussie-Byrd-Brother]Well, two huge guilty pleasures that I'm sure will NOT go down well with the Prog establishment lol!

/QUOTE]

Funny, I thought of this as soon as I saw the thread title Tongue

I remember buying this album at a record store at college back in 1981 and the clerk told me I was the first person in Helena, Montana to own a Go-Gos album.  Not sure if that's true but for sure none of my friends liked it.  I still listen to a lot of Go-Gos on my iPod while running.  Billie Joe Armstrong's "Unforgiven" from their 2011 album is one of the best tunes ever to finish a run with.

For me this one always brings a smile and some great memories.  My folks were stodgy hard-core Baptists but I found this buried in my Dad's closet when I was a kid and it was awesome.  I still have it!

-------------
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus

Posted By: Einsetumadur
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 19:13
Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night

-------------
All in all each man in all men

Posted By: pianoman
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 19:32
Moving Mountains - Pneuma

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 19:41

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 19:52
Prog-Triumvirat-Illusions On A Double Dimple

Non-Prog-Blue Cheer-Outsideinside

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 19:59
Either Camel's debut or Grace Under Pressure

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 20:15
I saw SABB, TFTO, The Best of Bee Gees ... very nice. Thumbs Up Approve

In my case it used to be Eno's Taking Tiger Mountain ... . Now ... I dunno. Silence? I don't think I have one such album. Maybe another one of Eno's? U2's October? Genesis' FGTR? An ambient album? Bee Gees' Cucumber Castle? Who knows. It would probably have to be an album I never get tired of, and I do not know one such album.

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 20:22
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Well, two huge guilty pleasures that I'm sure will NOT go down well with the Prog establishment lol!

The B-52's - s/t

Two of the most peppy, energetic and bouncy debut albums ever, both always make me smile!

But if I had to go for a Prog album, either Hoelderlin's `New Faces' or Camel's `Moon Madness' do the positive trick just fine!

Two great albums!  The first Elvis Costello album is another good one.  AND the first Tom Tom Club album!

-------------

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 20:23
Oh, and a great instrumental album that always makes me feel good is Jeff Becks' Blow by Blow.

-------------

Posted By: otto pankrock
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 20:24
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Heh, Dancer's Delight just came up in the shuffle as I read your post.

Posted By: peart_lee_lifeson
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 20:54
Beardfish's Sleeping In Traffic Pt. 2.  It's got that epic silliness to it that just makes me happy.

-------------
PROG ON!!!

Posted By: imalexo
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 21:05
Hmmm, probably Fragile by Yes

Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 21:10

Jim, I was shocked when I discovered on reading up on them that the Go-Go's were anything BUT `America's Sweethearts' or `girls next door'! They were actually very naughty, debauchered and wicked things lol!    

As for the B-52's, saw them a couple of years back when they played Melbourne....quite a disappointing experience. The girls were great and brought some serious energy and positivity, but dear old Fred made no effort whatsoever, appeared in a supremely bad mood and made it clear he didn't want to be there. Thanks for taking our money, though, Fred, happy to help out....

On the plus side, they played most of their killer debut album AND `Mesopotamia' - one of my favourites, and very underrated!

Indeed, the Go Go's were def into their partying from what I've heard.....

I remember distinctly in HS when the Mesopatamia tour had swung through town.....there were tons of kids wearing their very cool Mesopotamia tees the next and looking really tired.....

Last time I saw Fred on TV he looked a little long in the tooth.....your show sounds exactly like Fish acted when I saw them....Marillion was great, but Fish was not happy to be there.

-------------

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 21:47
Tons, but I guess Sgt. Pepper, mainly as a knee jerk reaction.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 21:53

Lucio Battisti's Anima Latina hands down! Everything about this album makes my heart warmer and smile bigger.
Ohhhh....Yeahhhhhhh!!!!!
The cover alone gets me in the right mood.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 22:07
Originally posted by otto pankrock otto pankrock wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Heh, Dancer's Delight just came up in the shuffle as I read your post.
Right on!

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 22:11
David Bowie - "Let's Dance" - went to a great party out in the rural area's of Poverty Bay, NZ in 1984. I remember we played that album solidly and everyone just loved it for the "partying" inducing atmosphere. Smile

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 22:11

The B-52's did a PBS special a few years ago and it wasn't bad---good choice---My choice for feel good album would be--"Feels Good to Me"Big smile---Bruford.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 22:31
The B52s work for me. Hearing Rock Lobster always makes me smile

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 22:43
Not sure about albums, but many Yes songs sound really uplifting and cheerful to me. Also, the song "Histoires Sans Paroles" from Harmonium is full of uplifting beauty. And most of Mike Oldfield's first four albums.

Also, perhaps not exactly uplifting, but whenever I feel stressed, having a good listen to the whole "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" song, all parts uninterrupted from start to end, leaves me relaxed.

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 22:51
Originally posted by peart_lee_lifeson peart_lee_lifeson wrote:

Beardfish's Sleeping In Traffic Pt. 2.  It's got that epic silliness to it that just makes me happy.

I just listened to that today.  Absolutely one of the best post-70s classic-sounding prog albums in my opinion.

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 23:20
Anything by Iona can cheer me up practically any time.  

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 23:21
Sleeping in Traffic II is a good one. Also,
 Especially the title track and Cup of Wonder.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: March 14 2013 at 23:33
Too many albums to mention.

I guess the top ones would be Tull's "Stand Up" and "Thick as a Brick", Deep Purple's "Machine Head", Yes' "CLose to the Edge" and "Fragile", King Crimson's "In the Court" and "Lizard", ELP's "Tarkus" and "Pictures at an exhibition", Pink Floyd's "Obscured by Clouds" and "Wish You Were Here", and Genesis "Selling England by the Pound" and "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"

There are so many more from Camel, Gentle Giant, Steve Hackett, Anthony Phillips, Uriah Heep, etc. It's a very, very long list. 

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 00:08
Last Autumn's Dream by Jade Warrior always lifts me up.  Some of the music is dark, and some of it is very raunchy, but the last two tracks resolve everything with a beautiful sense of wonder.  Two Tull albums also do it for me too: Heavy Horses and Bursting Out.  Olias of Sunhillow is also another great one for lifting one's spirit.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 00:12
CTTE

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: zeqexes
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 00:14
Probably Scenes From A Memory

-------------

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 00:27
Magical Mystery Tour, as well. (Overall) a very upbeat album

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: pfloyd
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 00:30
pretty much anything by Caravan or Hatfield and the North. if i had to pick one id say "rotter's club"

-------------
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 00:33
Any of the first 4 Camel albums, any Pink Floyd, Renaissance's Live at Carnegie Hall, Caravn's Grey And Pink, The Gong's Flying Teapot trilogy, Oldfield's Song of Distant Heart, Quintorigo debut album, Xing Sa, any from Yes Album to Going for the One...the more I think the more come to mind

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 00:34
and Aqualung, of course

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 00:37
For me, the first albums which come to mind, mainly Canterburian -
                                                                               Steve Hillage's 'Open' - just bursting with positivity
                                                                                Soft Machine - 'Land Of Cockayne'
                                                                                Caravan - 'In the Land Of Grey And Pink'
                                                                                Khan - 'Space Shanty'
                                                                                Kevin Ayers - 'Joy Of A Toy'
                                                                                Jefferson Starship - 'Freedom At Point Zero'
                                                                                Ozric Tentacles - 'Erpland'
                                                                                Santana - 'Amigos'
                                                                                Sebastian Hardie - 'Four Moments'
 ..........probably many more too.........

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 01:39
Talking prog, these two.

Non-prog, this one is my choice, The Head and the Heart's debut. It holds some wonderful memories for me and I enjoy it very much.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 02:53
My favorite feelgood album are not classified as 'prog' as such

The Tubes - Remote Control

actually anything by The Tubes puts a smile on my face

within prog I would go for something by Mike Oldfield , probably Amarok. Delightfully silly complex music.

Posted By: Ady Cardiac
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 03:05
anything by Cardiacs.Smile

Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 04:17
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

Ohhhh....Yeahhhhhhh!!!!!
The cover alone gets me in the right mood.

I had a similar conversation with Jim(Finnforest) in one of my cover art polls, and I completely agree. This cover truly reflects the warmth and feel of the album in a way one very seldom comes across. There's a symbiosis going on right there.
I like the fact that I have sonic "brothers" from across the globe who dig stuff like thisClap 
Here's to you SagiBeer

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 04:23
This one always makes me happy Tongue

Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 04:25

Nice ones MichaelLOL

Honestly, Dave, I kind of liked the idea of someone spraying their drink all over the screen upon seeing those Go-Go's/B-52's album covers on a PROG website lol!    

I remember many years ago, a local pool hall I used to spend most weekeds/Frdiay nights at, a bit rough, and they always had a jukebox booming out Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi, Metallica, just big blokely `guy' songs, and my friend and I would always put on the Go-Go's `Our Lips Are Sealed' (you know, with the video of them in the water fountain lol?!), and the collective look of `What the F**K?!' around the place was priceless lol!

Although the place is long gone, I stil remember the jukebox code for that particular song - 00, 13 - lol!

LOL I read your post just before turning in last night(had to wake up early to go to class this morning, but alas the teacher called in sick todayBig smile), so didn't get to write you back oh kan-gu-ruuh!

I love to throw people - especially with music. Sometimes it rubs off to my persona, and I'll deliberately choose an opposing opinion to the one of the other person - simply because I sense a "narrow-mindedness", if you can dig it. I mean, if people only listens to hip hop - or if I meet folks who believe blindly in religion/government/newspapers whatever, - gotta challenge their views a bit to see if these creatures can put two and two togetherLOL

It's also about the fun factor though. Especially with music! Putting on Dolly Parton's Jolene at a heavy metal bar at 3 in the night after the onslaught of Pantera's Cowboys From Hell is a joy very few people know offLOL

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 04:51

I love to throw people - especially with music.

And there, Dave, with your words, I present to all you prog rock fans, one of my favourite pop songs, that always make me smile and puts me in a good mood, from their wonderful second album `Life' (which I'd rate even higher if my ex didn't hang onto my CD when we split ):

The Cardigans - Carnival:

You must have a heart of stone not to smile when you hear this!

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 04:54
Like it too Clap

Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 04:57
LOL
I used to be a huge Cardigans fan back before they got famous! When they were underground and played some wonderfully unique cover versions of Black Sabbath tunes! 
But yeah, the clip you posted above is when things began to get a wee bit honey afflictedLOL
(I actually paused my Catapilla album for this.....)

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 05:02
Oh, yeah, Dave, their Sabbath covers are terrific! I remember reading how they were all big heavy metal nuts, and their record company didn't want them dressing in black, wanted them in psychedelic colours instead, which they hated!

Have you heard any of their later albums? Very moody and rather downbeat, a total reaction against the syrupy fizz they got caught up in! Well worth checking out, you might enjoy those more!

Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 05:09
No I haven't actually, and I have to admit that just now is the first time I've thought about The Cardigans for about 10 years or soLOL Damn....Jump straight back into the 90s! Jamiroquai, George Michael, Back Street Boys and a clothing style that beats the 80s in vileness imo:

I will however try to find Cardigans' latter day output by way of YouTubeThumbs Up

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 05:14
I'll send a few recommendations of later Cardigans tracks to sample when I get home, my friend. Don't think they've really been active for many years now?

Oh man, some of those 90's bands like Lush, Suede, Kula Shaker, Aussie band The Clouds, etc....I'd slot so many of their albums/songs into this thread!

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 05:17
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Magical Mystery Tour, as well. (Overall) a very upbeat album
 most Beatles albums make me feel good  [especially if i listen to it in the morning ]

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 05:29

I'll send a few recommendations of later Cardigans tracks to sample when I get home, my friend. Don't think they've really been active for many years now?

Oh man, some of those 90's bands like Lush, Suede, Kula Shaker, Aussie band The Clouds, etc....I'd slot so many of their albums/songs into this thread!

I was very much into 60s music during the 90sEmbarrassed The stuff from the 90s I listen to today is mostly electronic such as Future Sound Of London, Prodigy, The Orb, Aphex Twin. Also some Madchester scene, hip hop actually and the odd original metal releases. I'm thinking Neurosis and Marilyn Manson's Antichrist Superstar, which I personally find to be a progressive rock masterpiece, even if it isn't prog. I don't know if that makes sense actuallyLOL

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 06:05

Chicago '16' album from 1982 - when I happen to be in an 'up' mood (quite infrequent, truth be known....) this album always rocks and makes my day. 

Generally I'm more 'at home' and 'cozy' with VDGG/Hammill, Magma, Henry Cow/Art Bears and most Scandinavian things..........

Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 06:12
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Chicago '16' album from 1982 - when I happen to be in an 'up' mood (quite infrequent, truth be known....) this album always rocks and makes my day. 

Generally I'm more 'at home' and 'cozy' with VDGG/Hammill, Magma, Henry Cow/Art Bears and most Scandinavian things..........

Those last acts you mention, Tom, aren't exactly cheerfulLOL But I can dig it.

Magma is far from being comfort food, yet I get uplifted by those operatic sprees and the jumpiness of the band which rivals the "feel good" vibe I get from an album such as Alan Parson's I Robot. Not that the two have anything in common....

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 06:58

Those last acts you mention, Tom, aren't exactly cheerfulLOL But I can dig it.

That's exactly what I meant.  I find a certain 'comfort' in the unconventional.............

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 08:12
For a sheer feelgood album, it has to be this:

The band at their peak, having a whale of a time on stage - highly recommend the DVD, too.

As far as a feelgood prog album goes I can always go back to this:

Never, ever get bored of that one.

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 11:55
The Ultimate :

Some more :

-------------

Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 12:42
How can I forget?  Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention - Just Another Band From L.A.!

"Billy was a mountain.  Ethel was a tree growing off of his shoulder!"

-------------

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 15:24

Any of these.

-------------

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 16:37
I'm too emo to listen to any music that lifts me up.
jk, Moonmadness does the job (Mirage would too, but Lady Fantasy evokes sadness). Hot Rats is always a joyous experience, too.

Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 17:50
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Any of these.
What is that alluring album just above - the one you are holding in your pic ??  It looks rather charming to me........

Posted By: LinusW
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 18:33

What is that alluring album just above - the one you are holding in your pic ??  It looks rather charming to me........

It's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/LinusW88" rel="nofollow - Blargh

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 18:41
Fish Out of Water, it has to be

Posted By: paganinio
Date Posted: March 15 2013 at 19:26

Dream Theater - Train of Thought, works every time, under any circumstances.

-------------

Posted By: Canterzeuhl
Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 01:58
Camel is very popular here. Rightly so!

But for me as a knee-jerk reaction I've gone for 'Apostrophe' by Frank Zappa because I widdled on the Bingo Cards in lieu of the latrine.

Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 03:42
Originally posted by LinusW LinusW wrote:

Thanks !!  I have to look into that one.....

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 05:01
Devin Townsends Ziltoid

-------------

Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 05:07
This one fits the bill tooHeart

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 07:30
Yes - The Yes Album
Samla Mammas Manna - Måltid
Beggars Opera - Act One
Zappa - Overnite Sensation
Jethro Tull -Bursting Out

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 12:10

It's one of the most highly regarded indie folk albums around.  Either you love it or hate it.  Personally, I love it.

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 12:13
This is kind of a weird one, since it is supposed to be a rather depressing album about alcohol abuse, but I love drinking some beer and listening to/singing along with Clutching at Straws by Marillion.  That would have to be my feel-good album.  Confused

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: AlexDOM
Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 12:35
Not prog at all. But I am a huge fan of the Japanese group Perfume. Their albums Game and JPN are the ultimate feel good, happy, upbeat stuff ever. 

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 15:48
Originally posted by Earendil Earendil wrote:

It's one of the most highly regarded indie folk albums around.  Either you love it or hate it.  Personally, I love it.

Oh yeah, it's an awesome album. Very nostalgic and beautiful. Please check it out. Approve

-------------

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 16:48
Coroner's 'grin'.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: Master of Time
Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 16:52
Outside of prog anything by the Pogues tends to do the trick. But inside of prog I have 2 main feel good albums, and they're very different. One is Moon Safari's Lover's End, and the other is Sing to God by the Cardiacs.

Date Posted: March 16 2013 at 17:06
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Originally posted by Earendil Earendil wrote:

Oh yeah, it's an awesome album. Very nostalgic and beautiful. Please check it out. Approve
Cheers - got an LP copy in my 'watch-list' on E-Bay as we speak - be fixing that up today.  'Indie' isn't my scene, but this one sounds somewhat eclectic and the instrumentation is diverse and interesting.  I hope it works out well.  Absolutely striking art-work, this Magnum fellow must be truly gifted.......

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk