Forum Discription: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92536
Printed Date: October 01 2014 at 03:20
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.69 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Prog Metal vs other
Posted By: Stool Man
Subject: Prog Metal vs other
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 05:30
I don't get Prog Metal, and I don't understand why it's so immensely popular.  I like heavy metal - Motorhead are awesome, and I've seen(and loved)  Napalm Death, Carcass, etc live.  But they're not prog.
Metal is not prog to me. 

So what about you?  Prog Metal or something else?

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Replies:
Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 05:40
Sorry Stewart, I don't understand the question. Prog Metal is Prog Metal, I can get the connection between Progressive Rock and Progressive Metal just as I can get the connection between Progressive Rock and Jazz Rock/Fusion or Canterbury or Progressive Electronic (and none of those subgenres are Progressive Rock either).

-------------

If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman

Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 05:48
I mean the bands that are listed on PA as being Progressive Metal (of whichever type) do not appeal to me.  Prog Folk, Symphonic, Space Rock, Krautrock, Avant, Jazz Fusion (etc) bands do usually appeal to me. 

I suppose the poll is to see how many of us prefer the Metal types of prog over the other types.

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 07:45
Personally, I don't really like/enjoy prog metal. I can appreciate the musicianship pf the artists, but that's about it.
I certainly don't like to put down anybody's work, and I won't do it now, it's just that prog metal doesn't capture my attention and taste as other genres.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 07:47
Prog Metal, but I like the other styles aswell

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 08:22
Originally posted by Stool Man

I mean the bands that are listed on PA as being Progressive Metal (of whichever type) do not appeal to me.  Prog Folk, Symphonic, Space Rock, Krautrock, Avant, Jazz Fusion (etc) bands do usually appeal to me. 

I suppose the poll is to see how many of us prefer the Metal types of prog over the other types.
I prefer 100% of Prog Metal bands over 100% of all Jazz Rock/Fusion bands and I prefer 10% of the bands in Prog Metal over 90% of the bands in all other subgenres. Pain Of Salvation or Opeth will never surpass Pink Floyd or Tangerine Dream in my pantheon of prog rock but I'll take them over ELP or Yes any time.

-------------

If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 10:38
Prog metal is not my thing---not into much music that makes me feel more neurotic and crazy than I already amLOL

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 11:21
Silly layout to the poll. I like Prog Metal a lot, I also happen to like other genres of prog a lot. I'm not even sure what your trying to find out with this poll, how many people like prog metal or how many consider it their favorite sub genre. If it's the latter then it's blatently obvious "other" is going to get more votes.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 11:24
I definitely prefer other prog varieties over prog metal, though I won't necessarily discount a band before I listen to it. It also depends how "metal" the band is compared to how "prog" they are.

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 11:26
Other.  In fact, there are quite a few others in front of PM for me, Symph, Eclectic, RPI, Canterbury, Zeuhl, Neo, Psych, Xover.  That's not to say I don't like PM, because I do, but it's one of those I have to be in just the right mood for.  It's not something I listen to consistently. 

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 12:03
Other for me. Prog metal is getting too repetitive for me. Everyone is trying to sound like DT or Opeth. Nothing new seems to come out.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 14:15
Maybe this poll should be called: "Do you like prog metal"
The opposition "Prog Metal vs. Other genres" seems rather binary to me and lacks some explanations: must we consider the specific "Prog Metal" tag or should we also include Heavy Prog, Tech/Prog Extreme Metal, Post Metal...?

-------------

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 14:16
I think the only band that I've heard and liked out of the Prog Metal sub-genre is Queensryche. I like more of the Tech/Extreme or Post/Experimental, but the straight up Prog Metal isn't really for me.

-------------

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 14:26
I personally love Prog Metal, not the straight up stuff, but the more tech side. Some of my favourite bands are  cornerstones of the grenre - Between the Buried And Me, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Protest the Hero, etc. As a musician, specifically a guitarist, the musicianship has always been a constant inspiration.

-------------

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 14:30
Originally posted by Wanorak

Other for me. Prog metal is getting too repetitive for me. Everyone is trying to sound like DT or Opeth. Nothing new seems to come out.

You've have to a dig a little deeper to find the good stuff. There's a lot of great, groundbreaking things happening in the Tech side of Metal these days.
Here:
[TUBE]dr3O7yR0oCQ[/TUBE]
[TUBE]kGNb-YT5ECA[/TUBE]

-------------

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 14:43
I like a small amount of prog metal (Riverside, Opeth) but a lot of it leaves me cold.

-------------
I have many faults. Being wrong is not one of them.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 14:54
I guess 'other' for me. I like heavy stuff on a periodic basis. Rush, Zappa, Jade Warrior, and KC of recent decades can be pretty heavy when they want to be. A lot of Prog metal doesn't sound like metal to me. Opeth to me sounds more like grunge, like Puddle of Mud with long songs, and way too dissonant for my tastes. Granted I'm much more open to dissonance when KC does it. Dream Theater seems like jazz/rock to me. Players rather than song writers, I find them very tight and very boring.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 15:35
I'll go other as I much prefer the other subs here.

Though PM does have some enjoyable stuff.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 15:36
Prog Metal is one of my least favorite genres around here, but I can get into it every now and then.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 15:57
Smphonic or any other prog style would get my vote against metal.

-------------

E nei tuoi sogni
Parli con gli angeli.
- Le Orme.

Posted By: CryoftheCarrots
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 17:01
Stupid poll ! Dead
I love a lot of bands within prog metal/extreme prog metal but that doesn't mean it dominates my listening enjoyment. No particular genre does. Broaden your horizons man.

-------------
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"
MJK

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 17:50
Originally posted by CryoftheCarrots

Stupid poll ! Dead
I love a lot of bands within prog metal/extreme prog metal but that doesn't mean it dominates my listening enjoyment. No particular genre does. Broaden your horizons man.
You are excused. You seem to be missing the point of the poll or the motive behind it.

As for me, ... it's a push-pull between Symph and Folk. A really strong push-pull. Renaissance, Yes, and Genesis vs. the stuff that inspires me to write music.

-------------
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 19:40
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq

Originally posted by CryoftheCarrots

Stupid poll ! Dead
You are excused. You seem to be missing the point of the poll or the motive behind it.

As for me, ... it's a push-pull between Symph and Folk. A really strong push-pull. Renaissance, Yes, and Genesis vs. the stuff that inspires me to write music.

No, it's still a stupid poll. It makes no account of thos ethat like it but not as their favorite genre, so a bit of a rigged vote.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 22:45
^ Then, I guess, that said, there is a myriad of stupid polls out there, like Genesis vs. Yes. I think that's inevitable.

-------------
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 01:07
Other, though I enjoy some PM as well. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 11:27
is Yes vs Genesis a stupid poll idea?

-------------

Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 11:30

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 11:36

is Yes vs Genesis a stupid poll idea?

sort of an obvious one--don't know about stupid but maybe---they are my two personal favorites.

Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 11:46
Maybe something more specific then?  Like 80s Yes vs 80s Genesis?
Anyway, back to Prog Metal.  Can anyone recommend me a Prog Metal band, given that I'm not keen on any that I've heard but I like Sabbath & Motorhead

-------------

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 18:25

Maybe something more specific then?  Like 80s Yes vs 80s Genesis?
Anyway, back to Prog Metal.  Can anyone recommend me a Prog Metal band, given that I'm not keen on any that I've heard but I like Sabbath & Motorhead

Try Judas Priest.

-------------

Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 04:49
Priest  aren't listed on PA yet - how prog are they?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.69 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwiz.co.uk