Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92540
Printed Date: October 21 2014 at 01:27
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Who is peaking right now?
Posted By: Roland113
Subject: Who is peaking right now?
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 12:15
Ok, so I missed out on the peak of so many bands over the years, I discovered PT well after In Absentia, I discovered The Flower Kings, well after their 'classic' period, I discovered the Beard after Neal left, shoot Genesis had long since been defunct when I discovered them.

So help me out here, who is peaking right now, which bands do I need to start paying attention to?

-------------
I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a six year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Replies:
Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 13:02
Me!Approve

-------------
Coldness doth get away with the badness. http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 13:04
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Me!Approve

Beat me to it.  LOL

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 13:23
*sigh*  peaking, not peeking . . . 

-------------
I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a six year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 13:27
Yes, I can't speak for Snowie, but I am peaking right now.  Tongue

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 13:30
I was just peeing a few minutes ago.

On topic though, I've been trying to think of a band since you started the thread, and haven't come up with anything yet.  Sometimes it's hard to tell.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche / http://raregoat.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - RARE GOAT bandcamp page

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.
-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 13:33
Since it's impossible to know the future of any band, how can we know if a band is peaking right now?

To illustrate what I mean, think of Pink Floyd in 1967, two chart hits and a great debut album, and then a Hendrix tour!  But were they peaking? No.
Now move on three more years to 1970.  Pink Floyd had their first Number One hit album.
But were they peaking?. No.
Now move on another three years to 1973, when Dark Side Of The Moon turned Pink Floyd into megastar stadium fillers for the first time.  Were they peaking? No.

You see my point?  In each case it might appear as if the band is peaking, but they actually go on to greater heights afterwards.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 13:34
Maybe an easier question would be "bands on their way up rather than down".

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche / http://raregoat.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - RARE GOAT bandcamp page

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.
-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 13:44
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Since it's impossible to know the future of any band, how can we know if a band is peaking right now?

To illustrate what I mean, think of Pink Floyd in 1967, two chart hits and a great debut album, and then a Hendrix tour!  But were they peaking? No.
Now move on three more years to 1970.  Pink Floyd had their first Number One hit album.
But were they peaking?. No.
Now move on another three years to 1973, when Dark Side Of The Moon turned Pink Floyd into megastar stadium fillers for the first time.  Were they peaking? No.

You see my point?  In each case it might appear as if the band is peaking, but they actually go on to greater heights afterwards.

Seriously, I'll settle for reasonable guesses, I won't come back and give you grief years from now if you're wrong . . . 

How about this, who has had one or two fantastic albums as of late, who is riding the crest of being best in their genre.  With all of the hubbub about 'The Raven . . . " you could say that Steven Wilson is peaking.  Who else out there is going through a golden era?

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 13:47
First two bands that came to mind for me are Big Big Train and Astra.

-------------

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 13:55
Peaking? Right now? In terms of what? Popularity? Sales? Influence?

As of now, my best answer would have to be:

- Well, SW's new album is out, but I bet you know that already (although SW is not a band ... though you kind of wish it was ... no, wait ... that's PT).

- iamthemorning, so get their album.

- Big Big Big Big Big Bi-i-i-i-i-i-ig Train (with English Electric, pt. 1)

... I'm out.

-------------
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 14:00
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

First two bands that came to mind for me are Big Big Train and Astra.

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 14:05
Guapo seems to be riding quite high lately. And I don't know if Dungen are planning on releasing any more albums, but their last two (2008 and 2010) are my favorites yet.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: pfloyd
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 14:11
astra and beardfish

-------------
check out my art: http://alex-bennett.cghub.com/images/

Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 14:16
I'll second Big Big Train and would add Glass Hammer (their last three are excellent if derivative), The Tangent have yet to release an album I don't like, and Phideaux has released three great albums in a row and I expect their next release will follow that trend.  If you're into RPI, I'd suggest La Maschera di Cera, 

-------------

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 14:17

Definitely Steven Wilson. It may not get any better than Grace for Drowning, but The Raven's a fine follow-up. I expect its ratings to come down and be slightly lower than GfD eventually.

Posted By: HarbouringTheSoul
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 14:25
I have only heard given a serious listen to "Luminol" so far, but if that is any indication, then yes, I would say Steven Wilson is peaking as an artist right now (and that includes Porcupine Tree).

Posted By: Gallifrey
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 14:38
Anathema. No doubt at all. They are the best band in the world right now, they've basically invented two separate genres, and I think in a few years we'll see "atmospheric rock" coming through as a real thing, all based on their last 3 records.

Circus Maximus, unless they top their latest album (not likely). Same with Haken, who are bombarding my facebook feed with HEY GUYS LOOK WE'RE RECORDING DRUMS.

I actually agree with Steven Wilson, Raven is his best since the Incident, but a lot of people didn't like that, so could even be his best since FOABP.

-------------
BLOG: https://www.facebook.com/neoprogisbestprog
LAST.FM: http://www.last.fm/user/gallifrey337
RYM: http://rateyourmusic.com/~Gallifrey

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 15:34
Hackett has never sounded better than he has on his last few albums.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Gallifrey
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 15:37
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Peaking? Right now? In terms of what? Popularity? Sales? Influence?

As of now, my best answer would have to be:

- Well, SW's new album is out, but I bet you know that already (although SW is not a band ... though you kind of wish it was ... no, wait ... that's PT).

- iamthemorning, so get their album.

- Big Big Big Big Big Bi-i-i-i-i-i-ig Train (with English Electric, pt. 1)

... I'm out.

I was going to say Iamthemorning, but I think they're going to get a lot better. A couple more albums on par with the debut and they'll be one of my favourite bands. They're currently in the studio I believe. 

-------------
BLOG: https://www.facebook.com/neoprogisbestprog
LAST.FM: http://www.last.fm/user/gallifrey337
RYM: http://rateyourmusic.com/~Gallifrey

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 18:26
Mastodon is in my opinion!

-------------
“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 20:46
Anubis.  New album due later this year.

-------------
Frank Swarbrick

--

Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 22:16
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Didn't see that coming---but do think he's having a good few year---guess if you go by Prog Archives top prog albums it might be Wilson, but damn if I knowBig smile.

Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 23:10
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Didn't see that coming---but do think he's having a good few year---guess if you go by Prog Archives top prog albums it might be Wilson, but damn if I knowBig smile.
I don't like Wilson, so I wouldn't know either.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Soul Dreamer
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 23:28
Big Big Train for sure, you can't not at least hear the last two albums (EE1 and EE2). Galahad with last years albums (Battle Scars and Beyond The Reams of Euphoria). Steven Wilson is a no-brainer...and I support the Anathema call...

-------------
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)

Posted By: NightMareX1
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 23:28
Man... wait for the next Phideaux album. It's the only good thing I know and expect for this year of 2013. Well, Dean Watson made a pretty good album in 2012. If you want things outside the progressive scene, I shall tell you other names that might interest you.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 03:44
I thought the O.P. was asking who is stoned at this very moment.......Confused ???

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 03:48
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I thought the O.P. was asking who is stoned at this very moment.......Confused ???

Funny, I thought it was kind of a very personal sexual question!

Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 03:58
It'll be interesting to revisit this topic 5 or 10 years from now and see which of these bands were peaking, and which were on their way to vastly greater things (see my earlier example regarding Pink Floyd)

Who will turn out to be the Yes or Genesis of this decade? Mastodon? Astra? Phideaux? Big Big Train? Beardfish?

-------------

Posted By: SeventhBridgeofSighs
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 04:41
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I A M  a little bit of that... but...i guess there's many different kind of levels and different dimensions for a Stoner... i mean there's different kind of stuff ... I'm not sure if we should count somebody who eat 500 gramms of black chocolate in 10 minutes   or  somebody who drink 1 liter of coffee in 10 minutes Headbanger... etc...

it reminds me ... "black coffee" by Humble Pie... a Spooky Tooth sort of cousin...it is out here: Clap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDjdGLvhMGM Clap (standing ovation)

-------------
"Come into the garden, It's magical trees
Dapple the sun as they sway with each lazy breeze;
They'll set your mind at ease" ...

(the 1st of 5 verses of Carly Simon oniric 1971 song "the garden")

Posted By: zeqexes
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 05:18
Yeah, agree with the stuff about Steven Wilson. Haken should also be mentioned, they released a fantastic album in 2010, an even better one in 2011, and they've got one in the works that's to be released this year.

-------------

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 05:21
Magma is still peaking

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 05:39
Deerhoof are on a run of pretty good albums, about 7 great albums in a row, although I think they peaked about 5 years ago with Friend Opportunity (all good albums since but imo that is their best).
Diablo Swing Orchestra are on their 3rd great album in a row, probably their best, so they should be mentioned.
Phideaux has been mentioned, 5 amazing albums in a row and counting...
Cheer-Accident's last 2 were 2 of their best
I think Devin Townsend peaked two years ago, last years effort was not as good as the year before, but Z2 is on the way so we shall see...

Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 06:46
PA's top 100 albums of the last few years:

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=&salbumtypes=1&syears=2013&syears=2012&syears=2011&syears=2010&syears=2009&syears=2008&scountries=&sminratings=0&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=0&smaxresults=100&x=48&y=9" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=&salbumtypes=1&syears=2013&syears=2012&syears=2011&syears=2010&syears=2009&syears=2008&scountries=&sminratings=0&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=0&smaxresults=100&x=48&y=9

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 09:06
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

Diablo Swing Orchestra are on their 3rd great album in a row, probably their best, so they should be mentioned.
Have to agree with these three, I been trying to think of newer bands who seem to be on an upward trend. The three I came up with who have 5 albums or less where each album seems to be as good or better than the previous are :-

Aranis
Yugen
The Future Kings Of England

I have a bunch of bands who have released one or two albums who I am waiting on seeing if they keep up the great start.

-------------
Ian

Anyone who thinks Kansas is Prog get out of the room - Adolf Hitler

Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 09:14
Just a couple of quick comments while I'm at work:

*  Ok, maybe I should have included the work musically peaking, no references towards drugs or illicit voyeurism were intended.
*  Big Big Train is a good one, I have the first English Electric and will end up grabbing the next one here soon.
*  Steven Wilson is another good one.
*  Mastodon is a good one as well, I just found 'Crack the Sky' at my local library last week and am really enjoying it.
*  Anathema may be a good choice, though I was somewhat disappointed by Weather Systems.  I heard the first track and picked up the CD and was underwhelmed by the rest of it.
*  Astra, I may have to revisit them, I have 'The Weirding' and didn't think too much of it, but they're worth checking out again.
*  Deerhoof and Anubis are two bands I haven't heard to date, I'll have to check them out.
*  Magma I tried their first one and just didn't get it, unfortunately, they don't have a lot of stuff on Spotify so I don't have a huge opportunity to listen to their more recent work.  If I ever run across a CD of theirs in a used bin, I'll gladly pick it up, but unless I find a good deal, I'll probably pass.
*  Galahad, I like 'Empires Never Last' and should really give their last few a listen.
*  Beardfish, Yes, already love them and listen to them a lot, though for me, the two 'Sleeping in Traffic' may have been a peak to a certain extent, the three after them hit me on varying levels, though not as much as the two 'Sleeping in Traffic's.

Sorry if I missed anyone's suggestions at this point, I'll review the thread and make a Spotify play list when I have a moment.

-------------

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 09:21
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Aranis
Yugen

Nogbad, their two recent albums are sensational!!

I had a very miserable drive home a few night ago thanks to that wonderful and haunting `Aranis - Made In Belgium' album, loved it! Pretty much a faultless album, totally essential

`Yugen - Mirrors' is so difficult to get into initially, but very rewarding and worth the time if you listen to it over and over to allow it grow on you. Violent, erratic, spasmodic, unnerving - damn fine release

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 10:04
Another one that I would like to throw out there is Shadow Circus.  All 3 of their releases have been quite excellent. 

-------------

Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 10:09

Have to agree with these three, I been trying to think of newer bands who seem to be on an upward trend. The three I came up with who have 5 albums or less where each album seems to be as good or better than the previous are :-

Aranis
Yugen
The Future Kings Of England

I have a bunch of bands who have released one or two albums who I am waiting on seeing if they keep up the great start.

Agree on Aranis (although I rate Songs from Mirage a bit higher than Roqueforte) and Yugen, still have Future Kings on my "to check out" list.

Rational Diet would make this list if they hadn't just imploded, but there is a potential upside in that they split into two acts, if both are as good as their origins they will be worth hearing for sure.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 10:18
Originally posted by Gallifrey Gallifrey wrote:

Anathema. No doubt at all. They are the best band in the world right now, they've basically invented two separate genres, and I think in a few years we'll see "atmospheric rock" coming through as a real thing, all based on their last 3 records.

Personally I think they peaked with The Silent Enigma almost 20 years ago. And they haven't invented anything, My Dying Bride were there first with Doom-Death Metal (and since I'm no expert on the genre there might have been others in there before MDB) and atmospheric rock is nothing new, if I looked I could probably find a lot of albums that pre-date A Fine Day to Exit or even Alternative 4.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 10:25
White Willow. Took a few years off after Jacob got burnt out a bit on progand then came back with their best album yet in Terminal Twilight.

To-Mera. Keep getting better with every release and It'll be hard to top Exile, much more inventive thanh sister band Haken.

Toby Driver. He doesnt make bad music. Period.

Between the Buried and Me. Like To-Mera, they keep getting better with every album, only they're onto their 6th now and it really is a surprise to see just hoe much they improve for each album.

-------------

Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 10:30

Agree on Aranis (although I rate Songs from Mirage a bit higher than Roqueforte) and Yugen, still have Future Kings on my "to check out" list.

Rational Diet would make this list if they hadn't just imploded, but there is a potential upside in that they split into two acts, if both are as good as their origins they will be worth hearing for sure.
Check out TFKOE, you won't be disappointed, excellent modern spacey atmospheric stuff, way way too unknown for the quality of the music.

I've listened to samples of the two ex-Rational Diet bands, Five-Storey Ensemble and Archestra, both sound extremely promising. I have the FSE on order from Wayside and the Archestra one is due to be released by the end of March. Good Times. Then there is also the new Yugen/AltrOck side project "Not A Good Sign" that I'm really looking forward to, they keep posting facebook updates of the recording process.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 12:12
Hiromi for sure. She has been on a roll since Time Control in 2007. Same with Beardfish as well. Haken is definitely on the up-swing, I'm not sure if they're peaking yet with only 2 albums, but both albums are very good. Umphrey's McGee has been peaking for a few years now, their live shows have been becoming epic. Riverside for sure, I feel their new album is great and is becoming a slowly emerging gem.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 12:34

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=&salbumtypes=1&syears=2013&syears=2012&syears=2011&syears=2010&syears=2009&syears=2008&scountries=&sminratings=0&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=0&smaxresults=100&x=48&y=9" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=&salbumtypes=1&syears=2013&syears=2012&syears=2011&syears=2010&syears=2009&syears=2008&scountries=&sminratings=0&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=0&smaxresults=100&x=48&y=9

Oh my, I looked through that entire list and haven't heard a single one of those albums. Confused

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 13:16
I  highly recommend The Tea Club.  They were under my radar screen until they showed up in the top 10 of 2012.  I had to get all three of their albums.

-------------

Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 13:57
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Hiromi for sure. She has been on a roll since Time Control in 2007. Same with Beardfish as well. Haken is definitely on the up-swing, I'm not sure if they're peaking yet with only 2 albums, but both albums are very good. Umphrey's McGee has been peaking for a few years now, their live shows have been becoming epic. Riverside for sure, I feel their new album is great and is becoming a slowly emerging gem.

I'd second Hiromi, though I'd say it started earlier with 05's Spiral, love that album.

-------------

Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 16:04
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I'd second Hiromi, though I'd say it started earlier with 05's Spiral, love that album.
Yeah Hiromi is excellent, loving VOICE.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 16:12
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Oh my, I looked through that entire list and haven't heard a single one of those albums. Confused
I have about 18 of those and can highly recommend most of the RIO/Avant/Zeuhl/Fusion stuff. There have been some terrific recent releases though surprising most of my recent favorites aren't on that list.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 16:14
Big Big Train for me. Their albums just keep getting better and better. IMO PT peaked at Deadwing. The last two albums have not been their best.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 16:24
I would agree that Astra are getting better, Phideaux is on a roll, and Big Big Train are sounding better than before.
I think Wobbler keeps getting better and I am looking forward to the next Sanguine Hum cd.
Oh....and imho IQ has never sounded better, their last 2 cd's are as good as if not better than anything they have done before imo.

-------------
Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 17:14
Originally posted by Gallifrey Gallifrey wrote:

Circus Maximus, unless they top their latest album (not likely). Same with Haken, who are bombarding my facebook feed with HEY GUYS LOOK WE'RE RECORDING DRUMS.

I actually agree with Steven Wilson, Raven is his best since the Incident, but a lot of people didn't like that, so could even be his best since FOABP.

Anathema would be my choice as well. Weather Systems impressed the hell out of me.I have started buying their albums and have 5 that preceded it. They are good but Weather Systems is still my favourite.

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 17:33

Yeah Hiromi is excellent, loving VOICE.

I think she topped "Voice" with her new album "Move". Same lineup, but sounds proggier.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: dysoriented
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 18:01
I wondered this, to me it feels like most bands had their day before I was even thought of.
I can't recommend anything that hasn't already been recommended here lol. iamthemorning's new album is a breath of fresh air, anathema absolutely smashed it with weather systems. The Tea Club has been mentioned too, I found them a couple of months back, haven't looked back!

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 06:55
Some Norwegian art-rock has also been gaining a lot of fans and critical acclaim worldwide - you've mentioned White Willow, but I'm especially thinking of Motorpsycho, Jaga Jazzist and Susanne Sundfør.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: elbownut
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 07:00
Already mentioned but would definately agree with BBT, Anathema and Mr Wilson.

-------------
"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"

Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 07:44
Cool and thank you for the input.  I'm going to put a spotify playlist together over the next couple of days based on all of the recommendations that I can find on there.  Once I get the playlist, I'll share it on here if I can figure out how to do that.

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 07:58

Who will turn out to be the Yes or Genesis of this decade? Mastodon? Astra? Phideaux? Big Big Train? Beardfish?

imo Big Big Train are already the Genesis of this decade. If English Electric 1 had been released in the 70s we'd be talking about another SEBTP by now.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/chopper777/?chartstyle=basicrt10" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 08:10

Herd Of Instinct, Vespero, Astra, Diagonal, Leprous, My Brother The Wind

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 08:18
I agree with most of the suggestions here and just wanted to add District 97. Most probably haven't peaked yet (only 2 albums up to now), but after an amazing debut, improved on that wonderfully with their second album. Lots more great material to come from them, I feel.

-------------
I like the music of any era, regardless of when it was made.

Posted By: kjprogger
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 17:01
My first two thoughts when I read the topic were:  Anathema and Big Big Train.  But why not include Neal Morse?  The man has sustained greatness through the years with no signs of letting up.  I would love to include Marillion but they have been too up and down the past few years- though I do love me a big bowl of STCBM!!!!!

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 18:55
I found all the love for Anathema's Weather System a little odd. IMO it's a weak copy of We're Here Because Here, IMO a much better album and their peak!!

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 20:06
Yeah, Phideaux.

-------------
Have you seen them Khajiits?

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 20:45

Seconded. The guy just keeps getting better and better.

-------------
"Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music." - Sergei Rachmaninov

Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 20:51

White Willow. Took a few years off after Jacob got burnt out a bit on progand then came back with their best album yet in Terminal Twilight.

I agree. Terminal Twilight was a very fine album.

-------------
"Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music." - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 20:53
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Phideaux is on a roll, and Big Big Train are sounding better than before.
Phideaux has been on more of plane for me so think of him more like a kinda pizza if that doesn't make any sense.

-------------

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 21:18
Best album of 2012 for me.....big time peaking.....

-------------
oh yeah

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 21:20
I'd say my new album is the best I've done so me I guess

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 21:35
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

I'd say my new album is the best I've done so me I guess

Clap Very smart choice. Love self-confidence--mainly because as a creative person it's hard for me to muster up sometimes.

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 22:22
Smile It seems that I tend to have a lot more confidence in my work than others. Although I do think my stuff is kinda mediocre, I at the same time can really appreciate what I'm doing. Sometimes I'll listen to a song of mine, for instance "Sing" from my first album, and think it's something really special, but at the same time see why some people have criticized it.

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 22:24
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

I agree with most of the suggestions here and just wanted to add District 97. Most probably haven't peaked yet (only 2 albums up to now), but after an amazing debut, improved on that wonderfully with their second album. Lots more great material to come from them, I feel.
Ditto!

-------------
Frank Swarbrick

--

Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 22:32
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Hey man!  Where have you been?

-------------
In blood, he's writing the lyrics of a brand new tune.

Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 22:35
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Hey! I've been pretty busy with so much music that I've finally managed to squeeze in some more time for progressive rock. What's been going on around here? Anything new?

-------------

Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 23:02

Hey! I've been pretty busy with so much music that I've finally managed to squeeze in some more time for progressive rock. What's been going on around here? Anything new?

Not much, aside from some lengthy gun-control debates and prog as usual (maybe I've missed some stuff; my visits have been sporadic of late)

-------------

Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 23:03

Smile It seems that I tend to have a lot more confidence in my work than others. Although I do think my stuff is kinda mediocre, I at the same time can really appreciate what I'm doing. Sometimes I'll listen to a song of mine, for instance "Sing" from my first album, and think it's something really special, but at the same time see why some people have criticized it.

Quite the ego-booster, eh?

-------------
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock

Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 23:04

Quite the ego-booster, eh?

No, he's just confident and self-critical at the same time.  That's a good thing.

-------------

Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 23:07

Not much, aside from some lengthy gun-control debates and prog as usual (maybe I've missed some stuff; my visits have been sporadic of late)

Yeah, I'll stay away from the gun-control debates. It's about as bad as discussing religion with someone. I would rather talk about something that unites people like music, which sometimes even music debates can become quite heated, but I've learned one thing from all the arguments I've had with people about music: it doesn't matter what I or anyone else says, people will like what they like and, in the end, who can blame them? Listen to music that gives you enjoyment and screw the rest of it that doesn't.

-------------

Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 23:20

Yeah, I'll stay away from the gun-control debates. It's about as bad as discussing religion with someone. I would rather talk about something that unites people like music, which sometimes even music debates can become quite heated, but I've learned one thing from all the arguments I've had with people about music: it doesn't matter what I or anyone else says, people will like what they like and, in the end, who can blame them? Listen to music that gives you enjoyment and screw the rest of it that doesn't.

Yes, music is a good topic for friendly conversation, seeing as no one's life or soul or well being happens to be at stake; though you might think they were, the way I tend to talk about it sometimes Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 23:25

Yes, music is a good topic for friendly conversation, seeing as no one's life or soul or well being happens to be at stake; though you might think they were, the way I tend to talk about it sometimes Embarrassed

Anytime you have an in-depth conversation about music with someone there's going to be disagreements, but the best thing I've learned is to agree to disagree and move on. Cool

-------------

Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 23:28

Anytime you have an in-depth conversation about music with someone there's going to be disagreements, but the best thing I've learned is to agree to disagree and move on. Cool

Unless you and the other person happen to be in a band together trying to write the piece of music in question!

Although agreeing to disagree could yield some excellent results in that case; you both just play whatever you want and get an avant-garde masterpiece!  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2013 at 09:15
Ok, so as an update, I'm only two songs into "Pandora's Pinata" but so far, I'm really digging Diablo Swing Orchestra.

-------------

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: March 20 2013 at 20:34
Back to OP:  Who's peaking right now?

SKE, The Amazing, Aranis, Factor Burzaco, My Brother the Wind, Kotebel, Daal, UneXpect, North Sea Radio Orchestra, Cicada, sleepmakeswaves, Sanhedrin, Votum, Egonon, Airbag, Methexis, and, of course, BIg Big Train.

-------------
Drew Fisher, Second Cloud on the Left Farm
La Farge, Wisconsin

Date Posted: March 21 2013 at 00:48
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Some Norwegian art-rock has also been gaining a lot of fans and critical acclaim worldwide - you've mentioned White Willow, but I'm especially thinking of Motorpsycho, Jaga Jazzist and Susanne Sundfør.

Speaking of Norwegian Bands, I HAVE to mention Major Parkinson, one of my all time favorite bands. Seriously some of the most creative, fun, catchy song-based music I have heard. They have only released two albums so far but both are basically perfect, catchy from the first listen but still interesting dozens of listens later. They may have already peaked though, because their guitarist left and as far as I am concerned, he was a huge part of why they were awesome. So we'll see what the future has in store for them ...

Date Posted: March 21 2013 at 17:01
I'll add Brandt Brauer Frick kind of electronic techno dance but with lots of traditional instruments & a minimalist jazz feel. Two great album's so far and a third one just released. 

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: March 22 2013 at 18:57

Handshake

-------------

Posted By: peart_lee_lifeson
Date Posted: March 27 2013 at 20:35
I hate to say it, but Daniel Gildenlow's Pain of Salvation peaked around The Perfect Element / Remedy Lane in my opinion.  And, all the original members are no longer in the band.  But, I do still really enjoy their newer albums a lot.  Gildenlow has yet to disappoint me and his albums are the ones I look forward to the most.

-------------
PROG ON!!!

Date Posted: March 27 2013 at 20:40
I actually don't like to think of a band as peaking or declining etc.  I just think of new material as change, unless of course new material isn't "new" material, but rather rehashed ideas.  But, to be honest, isn't that what most people are always complaining to hear more of?  "I hope their next album sounds like (insert previous album here).  I don't want to hear music that sounds too much like previous material a band put out.  Bring on change!

-------------
PROG ON!!!

Date Posted: March 27 2013 at 20:55
Originally posted by peart_lee_lifeson peart_lee_lifeson wrote:

I hate to say it, but Daniel Gildenlow's Pain of Salvation peaked around The Perfect Element / Remedy Lane in my opinion.  And, all the original members are no longer in the band.  But, I do still really enjoy their newer albums a lot.  Gildenlow has yet to disappoint me and his albums are the ones I look forward to the most.
And, all the original members are no longer in the band ... except DG.

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 27 2013 at 21:23
Discipline. I love their latest, and I think the next couple of albums are going to be absolutely fantastic.

There are of course bands that never stop peaking, because they never released a dud. Here I am particularly thinking Dungen.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 22:17

Originally posted by peart_lee_lifeson peart_lee_lifeson wrote:

And, all the original members are no longer in the band ... except DG.

Oops, duh. Confused

-------------
PROG ON!!!

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 22:30
Not me -- just ask my wife.

-------------
Let the monkey drive.

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: May 05 2013 at 23:29

Including some good newcomers: Ciccada, Neal Morse (in some ways, Testimony 2 is his greatest for me), Luca Scherani, TEE, Lalle Larsson, Sunchild, Kotebel, Polite Refusal, Nick Magnus, Sky Architect, Unitopia, ARC, Kubusschnitt, David Minasian, Rational Diet, Helmet of Gnats, Nemo, Comedy of Errors, Accordo Dei Contrari, Abrete Gandul, When, La Coscienza di Zeno, Haken, Violeta de Outono, Inner Ear Brigade, I and Thou, Lifesigns, Henry Fool

Somewhat less recent: Miriodor, Tempano, Thieves' Kitchen, Cast, DFA, Abel Ganz, Martin Orford, Jannick Top, Big Big Train, 5bridgeS, The Box, Bernd Kistenmacher, Gösta Berlings Saga, Antique Seeking Nuns, Ageness, Cheer-Accident, Taylor's Universe, Beardfish, Panzerballett, Simon Steensland, Moonrise, Outer Limits, Moth Vellum, Hiromi, Viima (2006, as far back as I'll go)

Great second winds: Echolyn, Steven Wilson (not big on the last two from PT), Spock's Beard, It Bites, Thinking Plague, Univers Zero

They just keep being good: Steve Hackett, Peter Hammill, Mike Keneally, Kate Bush

-------------
"It's music, and I like it" - Miles Davis on Sketches of Spain

Posted By: javajeff
Date Posted: May 06 2013 at 22:45
I would like to say that Beardfish is absolutely at the top of their game.  I am listening to their new album The Void nonstop in my car, and I highly recommend it.  When it first came out, I did not get it since it was so different.  It really hit me hard in 2013, and I think it could be their best.  I am a relatively new Beardfish fan, but they have become one of my favorites.

Frequency Drift is just amazing and their last two albums should be in everyone's playlist.  I think the new Riverside album is their best.  The new Spock's Beard album is their best since Neal left the band.  I think Kaipa deserves a mention for producing solid consistent output, and their last two albums are excellent.  Anubis has a new album coming out and their two previous efforts are excellent.

I will second many of the obvious choices like Anathema, Big Big Train, Echolyn, The Flower Kings, White Willow, Sigur Ros, Steven Wilson, Steve Hackett, Sylvan, Gazpacho, and Marillion.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 06 2013 at 23:45
Some bands will 'peak' more than once but for me I think IQ has never been better yet some think they peaked on Ever.
But I think their last 2 cd's are the best work they have done.
I also think Wobbler is reaching their stride with Rites At Dawn....

-------------
Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted By: Warthur
Date Posted: May 07 2013 at 02:41
Let's see...

- There's a bunch of bands who've been chugging on for ages and who previously hadn't impressed me (or, going by ratings, the rest of the prog community) very much who at some point in the past few years suddenly got locked on to a good thing. Galahad, Big Big Train, Gazpacho, Phideaux from Doomsday Afternoon onwards, Final Conflict - I'd say all those guys are hot commodities right now.

- IQ have had a run of absolutely incredible albums since Ever, although when your run of top-notch albums lasts for over a decade I think it's past time to stop calling it a "peak" and start calling it a "plateau". Likewise, whilst I think Discipline's latest is incredible, it isn't really a peak because they've never produced a bad album.

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: May 07 2013 at 06:07
popular: Big Big Train, Steven Wilson, Beardfish, Swans, Anathema, Katatonia, Marillion, loads of stoner/psychedelic/doom stuff

musically interesting: Discipline, Big Big Train, Anathema, Beardfish, Echolyn, Vespero

Date Posted: May 07 2013 at 19:48
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

Including some good newcomers: Ciccada, Neal Morse (in some ways, Testimony 2 is his greatest for me), Luca Scherani, TEE, Lalle Larsson, Sunchild, Kotebel, Polite Refusal, Nick Magnus, Sky Architect, Unitopia, ARC, Kubusschnitt, David Minasian, Rational Diet, Helmet of Gnats, Nemo, Comedy of Errors, Accordo Dei Contrari, Abrete Gandul, When, La Coscienza di Zeno, Haken, Violeta de Outono, Inner Ear Brigade, I and Thou, Lifesigns, Henry Fool

Somewhat less recent: Miriodor, Tempano, Thieves' Kitchen, Cast, DFA, Abel Ganz, Martin Orford, Jannick Top, Big Big Train, 5bridgeS, The Box, Bernd Kistenmacher, Gösta Berlings Saga, Antique Seeking Nuns, Ageness, Cheer-Accident, Taylor's Universe, Beardfish, Panzerballett, Simon Steensland, Moonrise, Outer Limits, Moth Vellum, Hiromi, Viima (2006, as far back as I'll go)

Great second winds: Echolyn, Steven Wilson (not big on the last two from PT), Spock's Beard, It Bites, Thinking Plague, Univers Zero

They just keep being good: Steve Hackett, Peter Hammill, Mike Keneally, Kate Bush

While i like a lot on our list Rational Diet folded a couple of years ago with the former members becoming Five Storey Ensemble and Archestra. Antique Seeking Nuns have renamed themselves as Sanguine Hum and released two very good albums

-------------
Ian

Posted By: novasolis
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 01:52
I'm eagerly awaiting whatever Beardfish, Phideaux, and Moon Safari put out, I think they're all pretty popular. 

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 20:08

While i like a lot on our list Rational Diet folded a couple of years ago with the former members becoming Five Storey Ensemble and Archestra. Antique Seeking Nuns have renamed themselves as Sanguine Hum and released two very good albums

Nice, I was wondering why ASN hadn't followed up their wonderful 2009 album. The Weight of the World is quite good, a bit more "streamlined" but the melodies are still rich. Five-Storey Ensemble is almost as good.

-------------
"It's music, and I like it" - Miles Davis on Sketches of Spain

Posted By: Second Life Syndrome
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 22:44
They say that Riverside is finally hitting their maturity, though I've loved everything they've released.  I'll second Big Big Train (especially English Electric Part 1).  Haken, also, is on the way up.  Their next album (I hope) is gonna be killer---I don't even use that word!!

Posted By: Takeshi Kovacs
Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 12:12
Phideaux have been there since 2007.

-------------
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk