Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92543
Printed Date: May 13 2024 at 02:32
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Attack of the Clones
Posted By: The Doctor
Subject: Attack of the Clones
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 12:25
These are some of my favorite "clone" albums, where the music is so closely tied to the band in parentheses that it is almost a direct copy.  And yes, I do like that Starcastle album.  Wink  Which one is your favorite?  If I've missed one you like better, tell me what it is.  

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Replies:
Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 12:35
Treason is my favourite of these (though it's the worst Gryphon album), but if you think it was in any way a clone of Yes, you are completely mistaken.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 12:37
Funny, I expected someone to say that about Unfolded Like Staircase, not Treason.  For me, it does indeed sound like a Yes clone, but of course, that doesn't mean you have to hear the same things I hear.  

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 13:16
I've only heard four of the ten but i really like those four a lot. Discipline, The Watch, Tiles and Wobbler. Gotta go with Wobbler although i really love that Tiles album.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 13:28
Bellaphon are a great Camel clone (the only real Camel clone that I know)

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 13:40
Discipline for me; a great album. In no way do I consider Gryphon a Yes clone; a very different band IMO.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 13:41
Gryphon is not a Yes clone, but that album is.  Their other four albums are very much not Yes clones.  

-------------

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 14:05
Tiles - Fence the Clear is an excellent album and Tiles is among my fav bands

Posted By: Lima96
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 15:11
Other: Citizen Cain - Somewhere but Yesterday (Genesis clone).

Seriously, these guys are the most simmilar thing to Genesis I ever came across. Even the singer sings exactly like Peter Gabriel.

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 15:16
As far as Genesis clones go, my two favorite tracks are Rael's Momo (from their Mascuras Urbanas album), and The Watch's Shining Bald Heads, from their 2000 album Vacuum. Momo sounds like a lost masterpiece from Selling England by the Pound - and it's better than that album's weaker tracks (Epping Forest, More Fool Me). The Watch's track sounds perhaps a bit too modern to really be Genesis, but it's a great track - think Big Big Train at their best.

Think Floyd's track Hope (I think from their album of the same name) sounds like Waters (I mean, it *really does*!!) singing a Division Bell-era track (production-wise; composition-wise, it's a dead-ringer in Waters' inimitable style) - only it's better than anything on that album, barring High Hopes. Oh, and it's better than anything on The Final Cut, Pros and Cons, Radio Kaos, and Amused. (The rest of Think Floyd's album? Not so much. But enough to please Waters/Floyd fans.)

I know they're not prog, but when I first heard Placebo on the radio, I swear I thought it was Rush, and that they finally went back to their guitar-based Moving Pictures days. Can't remember what track it was - Pure Morning probably. (In retrospect, it sounds more like Geddy Lee fronting the Smashing Pumpkins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQQmAP9Poo4" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQQmAP9Poo4 )

Momo ( http://mp3juices.com/search/RAEL-Momo" rel="nofollow - http://mp3juices.com/search/RAEL-Momo ) and Hope ( http://www.progarchives.com/mp3.asp?id=6018" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/mp3.asp?id=6018 ), two tracks that are even better than the real thing (almost).

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 15:18
VdGG with a cloud of milk and a cube of sugar, please...Approve

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 15:19
I'm going with Starcastle because I did not know VDGG was a clone.  If fact I really don't know VDGG...  And before I get jumped on by some fans, I bet there is prog stuff out there that I know which you don't  Neener neener neener. LOL

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 15:25
No, no, no.  Discipline is a VDGG clone or at least their album Unfolded Like Staircase was.  VDGG is not a clone band.  

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 15:38
Originally posted by Lima96 Lima96 wrote:

Seriously, these guys are the most simmilar thing to Genesis I ever came across. Even the singer sings exactly like Peter Gabriel.

This is a good other vote.

But I'll go with ULS even though I wouldn't go as far as to call it a VDGG clone.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 15:56
I will go with the Starcastle debut, though i don't really feel it's clone material. Starcastle show some refreshing creativity of their own on that album.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 18:09
Picking Discipline but I don't see it as a VDGG clone at all.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Dr. Occulator
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 18:19
I'll go with Starcastle because I think they were very much a Yes clone band. Many others I don't know but I will say that Gryphon and Glass Hammer are not clone bands in that I believe they have earned their own distinct identity.

-------------
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 20:33
Hate clone bands--what's the point? Artistically , I think cover bands have more credibility---really hate Starcastle, doesn't sound like Yes to me ---

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: March 17 2013 at 23:54
I'll go with Starcastle, as I knew the band....they didn't intend to "sound" like Yes, but like Glass Hammer and a few others, wanted to use that characteristic sound (high tenor vocal harmonies, driving Rick bass, intricate guitar etc.) and make an American equivalent.  

They succeeded on some level, especially their debut album.  They were all the rage in Champaign, IL which launched its share of music (REO Speedwagon dominated the AOR airwaves stateside, and Fripp/King Crimson resided in Champaign for a while).  

I don't know several of the others, it is a good shopping list!  If you haven't heard Glass Hammer's new "Perilous," check it out, Jon Davison IS the vocalist for Yes!  If they share vocalists, are they a clone??

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 00:15
Originally posted by Lima96 Lima96 wrote:

Oh dear, that's uncanny...

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 00:25
I don't like any of those bands except for Tiles and Discipline. I'll use the Other option, my favorite clone band is Bi Kyo Ran, they are a clear clone band to King Crimson. As much as I always thought I would never like a clone band, I really love that band, their two first albums have great music, clone or not clone. Any fan of KC who doesn't mind a clone band should definitely check them out.

Citizen Cane that was mentioned before is another good example indeed, but I don't listen to them anymore.

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 00:49
Definately not going to vote here, as most of the bands/albums listed are so good and incorporate more than enough unique elements to make them very worthwhile.

To write them off as mere `clones' is not only dismissive of their merits, but also borderline offensive.

OK if you find them them `clones' to your ears, Doctor, I'm not having a go at you personally!

I think there's a lot of dismissal of these albums/artists by many unfairly.

Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 07:09
My intent certainly wasn't to offend, nor do I dismiss these albums at all.  Quite the contrary, I enjoy each and every one of these albums, a few, like the Discipline and Starcastle albums are among my favorites.  I was also not necessarily calling the band themselves clones, but merely that they made at least one album (those mentioned in the poll) which were close enough in sound to the "parent" band that they could be considered clone albums.  And as far as I'm concerned, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing an album in the style of your favorite band.

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 07:29
I think your use of words is wring Doc. Clone means an exact copy to me, identical in every detail. That is why I don't like the term clone bands, it's lazy. (Not you but the term) Surprised to see Wobbler there.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 07:32
I just liked naming the poll after one of my favorite Star Wars movies.  So shoot me.  Ouch

Face it, "Attack of the albums that sort of sound like other bands" just doesn't have the same feel.  Tongue

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 07:37
My fave is Discipline.
The only genuine clone act here, as I see it anyway, is The Watch. I kinda get the others here too - as they all show signs of their idols, yet with The Watch - it's taken too far. Don't get me wrong - they are all brilliant musicians, I just can't find anything original about their work. Nothing that says: Hey it's us! Instead we get Gabriel vocals, Collins' drumming, Hackett guitar and some Banks' inspired keyboard sections. Too much imo.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 07:39
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I just liked naming the poll after one of my favorite Star Wars movies.  So shoot me.  Ouch

Face it, "Attack of the albums that sort of sound like other bands" just doesn't have the same feel.  Tongue

Big smile

Fair enough. It is a good poll tiltle and good thread. We'll call it poetic license shall we?Handshake

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 07:47
^LOL

That was pretty cool, Snowie.  But he's shooting over my head.  Wink

Yeah, poetic license.  Obviously, most of these are not exact duplicates, but I think they all sound pretty similar to the bands in parentheses. 

-------------

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 08:08
I'm sorry if it came across like I was attacking a bit, Doctor, not meant to be that way at all. Besides, I'm all for as many Star Wars references as possible!

But I did get a good laugh when you listed Realm as one of the choices! I bought their first album `Time Tales' (I think that's what it's called off the top of my head?) on vinyl reissue three or more years, and I'd never listened to it. I went to a local record fair on Sunday and came across that same reissue and thought `Oh yeah, forgot about that one.....'

But WOW their singer sounds like Jon Anderson lol! Some truly dazzling rapid-fire synth playing on that one too!

Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 08:20
I've always wanted to get Time Tales, but have never been able to find it.  Love The Path.  The keyboard work is pretty awesome, but the Anderson like vocals and lyrics make me think Yes every time I hear it. 

-------------

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 10:28
I don't know all of them but I voted for Glass Hammer's If, great album, I don't mind it sounding like Yes.
RPWL's God Has Failed would be another strong contender (Pink Floyd clone).

Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 11:09
I don't mind it sounding like Yes either.  Brilliant album.  I thought of RPWL when I was making this poll, but the albums I have by them (their later stuff) sound more inspired by Floyd than really sounding like Floyd.  I haven't heard God Has Failed. 

-------------

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 11:27
Discipline: Unfolded Like Staircase, although I don't think it's Generator's clone. Certain similarity is perceptible in Parmenter's expressive vocal, but that's all.

On the other hand, the exemplary case of Yes clone is obviously Starcastle... although, there was even more perfect one, at that with Roger Dean's paintings on cover - namely Druid.

Another suggestion - Big Big Train: English Electric (Part One) - very "Genesisoid" album. But who wants to listen to a kind of Genesis clone, I'd suggest him a band called Fireballet:

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 08:33
Thanks Gandalf for the Druid link.  Quite liked that song and may have to investigate.  Will also be checking out Citizen Cain that others mentioned. 

-------------

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 11:41
Starcastle for me. Have liked them since seeing them open for Gentle Giant back in 1977. They were great live and that first album is quite good.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 17:31
Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

Starcastle for me. Have liked them since seeing them open for Gentle Giant back in 1977. They were great live and that first album is quite good.
That must have been some concert-i love The Missing Piece very much-did GG play much from it?

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: March 20 2013 at 12:08
As much as I like Unfolded Like Staircase, I feel in love with To Shatter All Accord... that would be my choice

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: March 20 2013 at 14:10
 voting for Starcastle - I love that album

I agree with the OP regarding Gryphon

Their first few albums are all original but 'Treason' does try to copy  'Close to the Edge' 

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: March 20 2013 at 14:33
I had to decide between my two Michigan compadres and decided to go with Tiles.  Second choice would have been Discipline.  Matthew Parmenter is a big Peter Hammill fan and I do think that he is quite influenced by him. 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk